Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Something to Talk About, the Stellar podcast. I'm Sarah Lamarquin to your host, and every week I sit down with some of the biggest names in the country because when Australias celebrities are ready to talk, they come to Something to talk about. On paper, Taman Sarsock's life looks pretty glamorous. A well known actor with roles in hits such as Home and Away, The Young and the Restless and Pretty Little Liars on her CV, she also hosts a successful podcast and, along with her film producer husband and their two daughters, splits her time between Sydney and Nashville. But Taman insist her life is far from perfect. In fact, as the name of her podcast, The Shit Show suggests, it's actually pretty messy and mundane.
Speaker 2: And I don't do it because I need any accolades or people to.
Speaker 3: Go, oh my god, you're so brave.
Speaker 2: I do it to make people fee less alone and also like save me And on today's episode is something to talk about?
Speaker 1: She joins me to discuss this and finding her home in two different countries, what it's really like to start in a Hallmark Christmas movie. Her biggest musical regrets and why she no longer feels she has to fake the perfect life. Tamin Sursock, Welcome to the Stellar Podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. It's a great honor, lovely to see you.
Speaker 1: And happy New Year to you. One of our very first episodes of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Now, how were the holidays?
Speaker 1: You are one of these people that has to not only juggle you know, family and in laws like so many people too, but you're juggling a couple of different countries.
Speaker 4: How does that factor to where.
Speaker 1: You're going to spend Christmas in New Yay?
Speaker 3: Goodness?
Speaker 2: My family actually my mom and dad who I was raised in Sydney, Australia from the ages of five. I was actually born in South Africa. I don't know if everyone knows that. So I was born in Johannesburg and then immigrated to Australia. And we've been in Australia till I was about twenty one. But my parents are still there and my brother and his wife, so typically we go.
Speaker 3: Back to Australia. But I've been to Australia I think four times.
Speaker 2: Last year twenty twenty four, I definitely spent about four and a half months there last year, so.
Speaker 3: It was their time to come to us.
Speaker 2: I was like, it's time to do that twenty hour flight because now I'm in.
Speaker 3: Nashville, not in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Los Angeles is only say twelve and a half hours, but you have to attack on an extra four and a half to get to Nashville.
Speaker 3: So they were exhausted.
Speaker 2: The poor things had to go to Hawaii first since spent three days recovering, then to La a day to recover in La.
Speaker 3: And then to Nashville. So I said to them, you know when any next coming back through? Like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: So We're just really they're still here and I'm definitely loving each and every moment of just the small things. You know, we we do live in both countries. I think we'll always live in both countries, but I think I would like to make it more fifty to fifty. And it's really just the kids schooling that we're navigating, trying to figure that out. And I think we've got one of the kids sorted. It's just a second what we have to do. It's not an easy feat. But again, my career kind of and my husband's career, we have a foot in both places, so you know, when we love both things, it's okay to say it took me a long time to be like I'm allowed to say I love being an Aussie, and I also there's so much of America that I also love too, and it's also given me a lot like my husband, So it's okay to say that I love both and there are different things in both that are just phenomenal, and I'm really blessed and lucky to get to experience both.
Speaker 1: I'd say absolutely, it's this idea that one must come at the expensive another is this a really like old fashioned regressive idea, isn't it? Your heart is big enough to love a couple of different countries, and especially I think when you have that story of growing up with parents that migrated to a country, your heart expands more and more with each country that becomes, i think, part of your family tapestry. It's lovely to hear that, having made the effort to do that Transpacific flight four times in a year, that your family.
Speaker 4: Came to you.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming this means though, that maybe you hosted Tamin and of course a lot of people will have seen you over the summer break over the Christmas break in the iconic Hallmark film. You were in the Christmas movie Trivia at Saint Nick's. I know that is something that you get asked about all the time. Now does that raise the stakes? Does that raise the pressure? I mean, if you have got any association with the Hallmark Christmas that's gotten, I mean, that's.
Speaker 4: A pressure cooker right there.
Speaker 2: I didn't know how many people like I've done my goodness, like including Home Away, probably one thousand, five hundred episodes of television in some way, either with Prittle Liars or Home and Away. I had a young on The Restless, so I was on a few different shows, Hannah Montana at here so like homework movies are like what people live and die by here, Like it's just it's like a cold. I didn't know that I was part of the cult until I became part of it. And you know, I think it's because life can be really intense, especially as a parent, and I think especially the nature of what's going on in politics, it's just to turn on the news and it's just so much fear and division and anger, and sometimes I think people just really need that lukewarm water bath to get into and just be like, it's not too hot, it's not too cold, but it gives me comfort. And I think that is why homework does so well and these movies do so well, is because it really just speaks to there's just no drama, and I think our limbic systems are constantly on attack and we're a defense all the time, and it's so stressful that I think people can just go, Okay, I'm gonna watch a movie.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be no blood.
Speaker 2: It gutschool swearing like it is. I don't have to be stressed about my kids watching it. And so people love it. And yeah, it was just such a nice experience. A lot of the films that I do, I'm either screaming or crying, or you know, I'm thinking about the accent. I've got to change the accent for this, or it's a period, whatever it is. It was just nice to play like a version of myself, maybe a little more uptight, and just enjoy it. I don't really get a lot like oftentimes just being on set and just being like, I'm just gonna enjoy this experience because I'm constantly thinking about like what would the character want?
Speaker 3: What am I thinking?
Speaker 2: What is this motivation, and so yeah, it was a really cool experience. And they say, so fingers crossed the ones you do one, you're in the family, so you end up doing like three the next year.
Speaker 3: At least that's what I'm manifesting.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: People say that it becomes part of their tradition as well. You know, obviously most of us are in a bit of a rhythm about when we might start thinking about the Christmas list and putting up the tree and the decorations and inviting. But if you're part of the extended Hallmark Christmas family, then you're factoring in midyear, presumably when it's actually the northern summer. You're there in some beautiful snow season pretending and channeling.
Speaker 3: It's very hot. Honestly, it is so hot.
Speaker 2: I had like Fanta and sprite cans down my butt because it was I was dripping in sweat. And they have like BM and a beanie and like a jacket and a scuff and it is not glamorous. The whole time, I'm like, just move your feets, you don't pass out. Is very very It's like in the dead of heat, in the dead of summer, when we issue these.
Speaker 1: Tam, and you mentioned there's some of the work that you've done over the years, including The Young and the Restless, Pretty Little Liars, and of course where it all began for you. Your acting career was on the set of Home and Away. You were so young, you were only fifteen when you auditioned while you were still at school for the role of Danny Sutherland. You and I first met back in that era. Actually, one of my first jobs in media was the TV writer at TV Week, and you were on the cover of TV Week I'm going to say maybe every second or third week during that time, shooting on location on Palm Beach in Sydney's Northern Beaches, in the studio in Sydney's Epping as it was at the time. Taman, what are your memories of that time, because when we talk about overnight success, that was a casing point one moment. You're at school, you're auditioning for this role, you get it. You're like I say, You're on all the covers, you won the LOGI for New Talent that year.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Soap opera fandom at it's absolute peaque.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I look back at that time and it was such gratitude. And you know, I was saying this to someone recently, because no matter what I've done in my life, there's always a question or a walk down memory lane when it comes to Home and Away. And I think it's because there are so many memories of people's lives wrapped up in that time because there wasn't any other real pay per view options back then, so it.
Speaker 3: Was really just Neighbors and Home and Away.
Speaker 2: And I think that the characters were so big back then because they.
Speaker 3: Became our family.
Speaker 2: They became you know, we learned from them, that became our therapists, they became our you know, our friends out like and and we wanted to see them every day and we yearned to see them. And I I think I was part of something greater than I knew at the time that now, you know, you look back and I go, wow, I was part of kind of the end of that era of the way we consumed television. I mean, it's so different now. It's all the apps in the paper. I mean, there's so many different channels and options and choice that I don't know if my character would have been as received or as loved if that was this day and eight like if it was now.
Speaker 3: And I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I'm not in Australia one hundred percent of the time, so maybe Home and Away still looked at and viewed it as like that. But I just know that when there wasn't many options, I think that's what made it such a big deal, you know, And I'm very grateful. I'm also a big believer in sort of your life is laid out for you and you kind of are meant to do what you're meant to do.
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I was there at the right time. I'm at the right place with the right people. I was paired up on many chemistry reads with a lot of different people, and for some reason, it was just my it was my moment and it was really cool looking back, and I think when I was that young, it probably messed me up a little bit because you you shouldn't have success that young, I think, But I think I've dealt with it as I've gotten older in therapy.
Speaker 4: It is true.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is hard for anyone to put in proper context what they're going through at such a young formative age. And you also just professionally had that experience of landing that job and thinking well, this is what happens, and then of course that is not how the industry works. At twenty one, you packed up and went to Hollywood, which is two suitcases. You arrived in LA How was that?
Speaker 4: Did that world.
Speaker 1: Feel scarier and more daunty to you than working in Australia.
Speaker 2: So you might know this, but I announced that I have an Australian book deal and I'm writing about this period of my life and it's very interesting because I'm really walking through it all and I didn't realize. I don't really give myself a lot of grace or even I'm never really proud of myself. But I look back at that time and I go, oh, my goodness. You were twenty one years old, you didn't know anyone, and you had two suitcases and you had a one way ticket to Los Angeles, Hollywood because in your mind there was no other choice. And I don't know if i'd do that at my age now, But then I had the guts and the balls to like to just jump off, just jump off the ledge.
Speaker 3: And I actually went to the UK.
Speaker 2: First, and I was signed to Sony BMG, and I had a record that I was going to an album that I was going to put out in the UK, and I spent six months recording music with the people who did Britney Spears music and it was like the coolest experience. And that song Dancing on my Own by Robin was actually my song. And I was like, nah, that's not going to be a hit.
Speaker 3: Well that I know, it's like one of the biggest suits ever.
Speaker 2: I write about it in the book and I was like, no, that's not gonna be good.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna know. I don't see it, but I just.
Speaker 2: I remember thinking, and I wrote this chapter the other day that I was sitting in my room in London and I thought, I can't do this.
Speaker 1: Like I.
Speaker 2: Love music, but I love acting more and being in London is going to stifle what I really think I'm born to do, which is to be an actor, to be different characters, to put on different cloaks and costumes. And I hold Sony BMG. I was like, thank you, but I think I'm done, and I left. And if anyone really knows that, but my mom asked me, and she still reminds me to this day, makes me feel very guilty, but she says it lovingly. She's like, I remember when you said to me, she said how long are you going to be there for? And you said as long as it takes, and she's like, and as a mother, it broke my heart.
Speaker 3: And I know she's just saying it out of love, of course.
Speaker 2: But I think about now having daughters, I think, oh, my goodness, if my girls said that they were leaving, I don't know how I would feel.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'd be broken.
Speaker 2: Right, you love your children so much, and then your whole purpose is to let them fly and to let them go.
Speaker 3: And but then when you're.
Speaker 2: Faced with that, it's like you have to step back. And I think that that is probably really difficult. At the time, I was twenty one, so I was like, I'm just going to go and make my dreams come true.
Speaker 4: It's so true.
Speaker 1: It's not of parenting, isn't it realizing as you become a parent yourself, and as your daughters are growing up, seeing the impact through the lens of your own mom and dad, and realizing the selflessness and the sacrifice and probably has instilled in you. As you say, it would be difficult if your daughter has said that to you, But because of what you had role modeled you would find it within yourself whatever the decision, to put their needs first, because you have seen and experience that.
Speaker 2: Yourself, and you always want your children to follow their dreams. But it's like grief. I think, as each each layer and each chapter you walk through with your children, you lose that chapter before it, you lose your children needing you as much. And as I was growing up too, I didn't need to be at my parents' house anymore. I had to go fly. But there's definitely a loss and a grief in that, and it's difficult for all parties involved.
Speaker 1: You know, Taman, you said to your mom, as long as it takes. What did that mean to you in reality? And then when you went to the States and you landed that role on The Young and the Restless.
Speaker 4: The hugely popular.
Speaker 1: I mean it sold to so many countries around the world, including Australia, that iconic daytime soap. Was that then part of did you think, Okay, this is part of the journey coming true?
Speaker 3: Yes and no.
Speaker 2: I spent six months there. I had a really big Hollywood agent. And the thing about the US is when you first go there, I don't know if it's the same now, but definitely. When I was like there eighteen years ago, it's very much.
Speaker 3: Like you're going to be a star.
Speaker 2: You're just like the next big thing, and when you think that, you're phenomenal, like I don't know if they do that as much these days, but I got definitely sold the dream. And then for six months I auditioned and furiously and didn't get a job at all. And I remember all my money was tied up. I'd bought a property. My parents were really smart with finances, and I'd been on home and away for so long, and They're like, just buy property, like, just put it in something. So I bought a place in Balmain, but I didn't.
Speaker 4: I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I was kind of cash poor, like I didn't have any money. So my parents were supporting me for like the hotels and the hair and the nails and all those things. And then at some point they said, we love you, but like you're on your own, and I remember going, oh my goodness, I'm here. Of course, they would always be a backstop, but I'm like, I don't really have all this money in the bank. My money's tied up in Australia. What am I going to do?
Speaker 3: And I believe that there's a God.
Speaker 2: I believe that there's something greater, because how can there be so much magic without there being something greater.
Speaker 3: But I wouldn't say I'm.
Speaker 2: Like a deeply religi, like I don't need to go to a church to believe that there's something more. And I on that day though, I'd go to a church. Funnily enough, and I fell to the floor. I was like, Lord, Savior, if you are there, if you are real, please.
Speaker 3: I need a job. I think I was just super desperate.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's funny even people who say they don't believe in something higher, like when Rubber meets the Road, we pray to something. We played as something that's higher than us. And within the next week I got three gigs. One of them was Young and the Restless, one was the movie I met my husband on, and one was a show called Rules of Engagement. And whether it was divine intervention, manifestation, God or luck, it is the reason I ended up getting a green card, which then I was able to stay in the States because your visa is up every three months if you don't have a green card. But that was not making it for me, and I still don't feel like I've made it. I don't even think I'm close to what I know I could do and what I want to do and what I think is on the horizon to do. I think I've been very grateful and lucky to have got the opportunities that I have, but I also feel like I've had a lot of near misses of some really big projects that would be completely life changing. And sometimes I can sit in my own mind and hear thoughts of people that might or might not be true, like you know, she hasn't made it, or she had, she could have been bigger. And there's like a as I get older, there's like a quiet confidence of there is no choice for me but to continue. And I think that I think it's going to be exciting for me. But I do also have that little thing of like proving people wrong. It's like, I don't know where it comes from, but I think I think that the future there's going to be some good stuff happening and coming up.
Speaker 1: Taman on the Jane of Compare and Despair in the age of social media. Part of what you work on as well is a podcast called The Shit Show Love the name did you come up with that name.
Speaker 2: That's what I utter every day of my life.
Speaker 1: I really relate, and of course one of its missions is to look at life behind the Highlights Reel. And your previous answer, really, I think gives listeners a glimpse into your approach, Tamman, which is that, Okay, everything looks a certain way, but actually in reality you're going, I don't know if I have made it, and I still think about the opportunities that were lost or that things could be better, and that vulnerability and honesty is something that is, as you and I both know, lacking sometimes in this era of the Highlights real and there is obviously some people would think, well, jamn, you are a famous, successful actor with the Young Family, you host a popular podcast, got a successful career in multiple continents.
Speaker 4: Surely the highlights.
Speaker 1: Reel is the real And of course that is not true, is it? And very much? What part of you what informs your work on the shit Show?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, Well, yes I do.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I don't know why we only put up the highlightrail, and I think I do know, and I think it's because the scariest thing in the world is to show up in vulnerability, right, because when you're vulnerable, then you're open to attack, fear, feeling awful, And so I do something called compare and despair, which is when I go on social media. I scroll, and I don't drink alcohol, I don't drink caffeine. I don't have really any addiction, but social media is and has been a really deep addiction for me that I find hard to break because within three minutes of being on it, I compare and despair. I look at everyone's life and I think I'm not doing enough. My family isn't as great as everyone else's family. My husband isn't as loving as all the other husband's. My house isn't big enough. Why don't my glasses match the plates that go perfectly with the table setting? And everyone's making all these healthy, unprocessed foods for their kids, And I think that from me to show up in that space.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to fake it. I don't know how to lie about it.
Speaker 2: Yes do I always put every bad moment up on No, And I do respect my kids price a scene and I don't really talk about them if they're not feeling whatever that is.
Speaker 3: But I really try to talk about the things that.
Speaker 2: Like turn my pain into purpose because I look for that and I don't find it a lot. And I think when I see someone else really struggling, I go, oh, thank God, Like, thank god, I'm not the only one. Thank God, I'm not the only one who thinks about these things. Thank God, I'm not the only one who doomed scrolls. Thank God, I'm not the only one who feels like a shit mom, like at least fifty five percent of the time. And I'm not, but I feel that way, and I just want to kind of show up in a way that I think will help other people, but to be honest, selfishly, it also really helps me. Like when I feel like I'm my most authentic, I feel good, you know, I feel like, yeah, like I suffer from general anxiety, Like it really fucking sucks sometimes. And when I tell people that, it's almost like like your secrets keep you sick, right, So when I say I'm really struggling today and people I see you I am too, I'm like, oh, oh my god, maybe I'm not as sick as I thought I was. And yeah, like that's like super important to me. And I don't do it because I need any accolades or people to go, oh my god.
Speaker 3: You're so brave.
Speaker 2: I do it to make people feel less alone and also to like save me.
Speaker 1: So it's it's I love everything that you've just said, and I so agree. I think being authentic, which I realize is an overused word. Like a lot of words, it becomes a bit of a buzzword, but it's soul the truth about as you say, just being honest and saying I'm feeling this way is really empowering and liberating because it does help other people feel less alone. And if you're feeling that way, statistically, there's going to be quite literally millions of people feeling the same way that didn't feel that they necessarily have permission to acknowledge it.
Speaker 4: But also I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I think when you are honest about those things, it's so liberating for yourself as well.
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 1: You spoke to Stella about when you went through postpartum depression after you had your first baby, and that was one of the first times it sort of went a bit public and shared that with people, and the response that you got, I imagine, was an early indicator of how other people and women especially really are crying out for seeing their experiences reflected back. Because I think we're all everything that you said I relate to, like feeling like a shit mum and thinking, oh, everyone else has got the perfect matching plates and glasses. I mean, the whole thing I think everyone is struggling with and to have somebody like you. When you first spoke out about the postpartum depression, like I say, imagine that gave you an indication of the power of honesty and vulnerability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I didn't mention. It's almost like I have to get through the pain to be able to talk about it. I remember with my miscarriages, if I didn't have my second daughter, I don't know if I would have been able to share.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hope I would.
Speaker 2: But it's almost like I needed to walk through it to then be able to compartmentalize it in my brain and to take a step back and almost look at it and then go, Okay, what was that. I find it really difficult to share when I'm in something really painful, when I'm really grieving something, because I don't have a lot of I don't have a lot of perspective, and when I really share my first miscarriage was really bad. I was really far along, like not right at the end, but you know, there was trigger warning, some formation of the feet of slash baby, and we ended up birthing that baby at my house a house, and I don't it was like so much grief and so much pain and so much I even had postpartum from that because I was pregnant for quite a while and I couldn't even see out of the darkness. And I find it even when I really struggle with my anxiety, it's very hard for me to show up while i'm doing it and go, this is what anxiety looks like. But I do feel like when I'm out of it, then I can give it back as some kind of gift to help someone.
Speaker 3: And for the longest time.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I should I should be able to just show up in my pain and grief. But I also think social media has made us feel like we're not allowed to be quiet, We're not allowed to take a step back. I actually haven't been on social media for five days and I feel I feel better, but I also feel guilty. I feel like I'm missing something. I feel like people are waiting for something. I feel like people are maybe thinking something's wrong with me, when all I need is just it's been a really great, intense year and I you know, and a new year, and I just want to take a bit of a breath, you know. And we should allow that, and we should normalize taking breaks from social media and also taking breaks from sharing. Sometimes there is so much beauty in not.
Speaker 3: Sharing at times.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't have to share everything all the time, and people go, we share everything.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, there's definitely some things I do not share.
Speaker 1: I think it is a really important point that you've made there about this authenticity and honesty and being vulnerable and sometimes choosing to share your story doesn't mean that you have to do it all the time, and that the timeline is really important because it is in the process. I imagine timing of working on your memoir, as you've already alluded to, your going back and processing some different chapters of your life and remembering things and thinking about things. I'm sure it's bringing up all sorts of emotions as well, and I would we often will hear about different experiences in people's life when a memoir comes out because they didn't want to talk about it. At the time, and I imagine that will happen with you as well, because I think that's.
Speaker 4: A really valid part of it.
Speaker 1: You don't have to necessarily speak through the raw emotion as it's unfolding in real time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I also have some chapters that I'm writing that I don't know if I'll put in the book because I don't know yet. You know, I'm like, that's personal, not about anyone else, because I'm like, once the door is open to some things that people know about you, you can.
Speaker 3: Never go back.
Speaker 2: I also have to ask myself, do people have the right to judge me or judge based on a person that they don't really even Oh, and so I'm writing it as like phathosis, and you know, it's cathartic, but I'm like, maybe it will, maybe it won't.
Speaker 3: We will see, Tamon.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to ask you finally a little bit about your family and being the mum of two daughters who I believe, at the time of us speaking, Phoenix is eleven and Lenin is five. Everything that you have been through the world, that you saw growing up, the things that you saw in the industry, what would you hope for your daughters as they grow up about the world that they will live in, whatever they choose to do with their lives, what would you hope would be different for them, and what would you hope would be the same for them as they navigate As we talked about the grief and the heartache that might bring for you as they go out on their own separate paths.
Speaker 2: I think what I would like similar is I'm very close to my family, so that that's important.
Speaker 3: We don't have a big family.
Speaker 2: Immigrating from South Africa, was just the four of us, so we've got a very tight nucleus. Nucleus and my kids are still obsessed with us. We all sleep in the sun. I was so anti sleeping in the same room. Not everyone on the dog. Everyone's in the same room.
Speaker 4: Serious sleep every.
Speaker 2: Well, everyone's got their rooms, like my five year old's got hers, lemony old's get hers, we've got owls. The dog has fur room. But everyone decides. So we've actually pulled like another bed. So my eleven year old sleeps on a actual bed on the floor now mattress, and the baby sleeps in the werystal gol baby in the middle. Sean sleeps one and I sleeping on the other and the dog sleeps on the bottom, and it's just they won't get out. And I was so anti in the beginning, especially with my first No, no one's allowed in the room. And now I just really feel the march of time, like I can hear it, and I can feel it in my body, and I can see it in their hands and their fingers as they grow, and I'm like, I just don't care anymore, like if one more night with them, you know, And people like, what about intimacy with your husband, I'm like, we have an office, like we have, Like there's other places like you don't you know, that doesn't have to be the only place you have any intimacy with your husband. And yeah, so we anyway, I digress from the same and so what I would like is the closeness that we had. I didn't know this, but my mom was quite a big feminist, which is just equal rights for women, and I am such I am such an advocate for women, and I didn't realize how much until I spend half my life in America, where I really think women here have sort of a fight for their lives here. And I am raising two girls and they are not equal here, and women are still paid less and their rights are at stake, and I fear for their future. But the thing that I do know is because we have been given the gift of travel, being like half Ausies and Australians travel so much. Eighty percent of Americans do not have that passport. Eighty percent of Americans do not have that passport. Because I've been given that gift of travel. What I want for them is to see all different religions, ethnicities, places, so they can just not that I didn't have this. I didn't travel as much. But I just want them to always lead with kindness and understanding and empathy. And again I had that growing up, but I don't think I traveled as much to.
Speaker 3: Maybe understand it all.
Speaker 2: So my girls, I want them to have big voices and to speak up and if someone says they're bossy, to say no, I'm assertive. And I don't know, I've become like a huge feminist lightly because I just want. I see my little girl and I'm like, I need you to feel like you have a voice and you are equal.
Speaker 3: And I think that answered the question. Maybe it didn't.
Speaker 2: It's a great answer it's Tam.
Speaker 1: And my final question for you, since it's January, are you a believer and you use resolutions? Is there anything that you have a practice of doing in terms of self reflection or some predictions or hopes or aspirations for the year ahead.
Speaker 2: So I'm putting a real together about this, and I really offer this to people and they can take it or not. But I think instead of in twenty twenty five looking too thinking about looking better, if we can focus on feeling better, and that means so much. And it also leads to kindness because kindness feels good, empathy feels good, health and wellbeing feels good. If you're just to stop drinking for some reason, it's because you want to feel good. And I think when you feel good, you do good. And for me, I gave up drinking two years ago, not because I had an issue with it, because when I say sober, people like you read a problem, which is fine. I just don't want to take it away from people who did because it is hard to give up. But I thought, I'm just so sick of feeling like crap, Like I just don't want to feel bad anymore. And I feel that way with even social media again, compare in despair. I have boundaries with that. I feel like that way with people. There's been some friends that have gone their own way and it didn't feel good anymore.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to lean more into that. In twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: My big news resolution, which I was so proud of in twenty twenty four was I was never a reader, and I read thirty two books in twenty twenty four, and I'm so proud of myself because I thought, damn, you've you know so all of the stories we tell ourselves. I thought, I've got eight. I'm stressed. I have anxiety. How I'm going to finish a book. Not only did I finish books that were easy to read, I finished books that were four hundred and seventy five pages because they were so beautiful and I got lost in stories and I fell in love with characters, and it took me into a world away from my anxiety and grief and pain and hurt. And I'm like, oh my goodness, I feel like I'm part of the world that I didn't even know was there. And now I'm like a bookworm, like I have a book club and all these things.
Speaker 3: So for me, that was twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty five is every year is always like, drink more water because we're drinking that water. My husband's always like, you're dehydrated. I'm always like, I'm dizzy, you're dehydrated. I'm anxious, you're dehydrated. I'm constipated, you're dehydrated. It's always water. So that's always my number one. But it is really twenty twenty five is just lean into like like feeling good and and not controlling the situation and not I heard this on glennon Doyle's podcast, Like I control because it makes me feel better. And I also like, when I'm suffering in my own grief and pain, I want everyone to be suffering because it makes me feel better. And I realize, like I don't have to put that on other people. I don't have to be codependent with people or stuff or Instagram or like, I don't have to move one addiction, whether it's sugar addiction, which I kicked now as a social media or a person, like I have to learn how to not be codependent. And yeah, just leaning into boundaries and feeling good. It's really twenty twenty five is just more mental health stuff because I feel like that's the only way to be happy, is just kind of learning how to be better in that respect.
Speaker 4: I love all of that.
Speaker 1: Taman, Thanks for your company today. All the best to you for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, you too, and you.
Speaker 1: Can hear more from Tamman on her podcast The Shit Show wherever you get your podcasts. Thank you for your company this week. If you've enjoyed this episode, we'd love it if you take a moment to leave a review and make sure you're following us, because we'll be back again soon with another exclusive guest on Something to Talk About.