Speaker 1: Apogee Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Secrets of the Underworld. I am Neil the Muscle comments.
Speaker 3: In this episode, I speak with Katie Burns, who shares her story of surviving abuse.
Speaker 1: I was so scared to tell anyone because Daniel, We'll just get worried different pet officers and how many would being investigative. And I had a breakdown. But I think listen that I was right and crawling about it and very crops up. I'm gonna have to kill it.
Speaker 4: I'll always leave right, you know, because then I don't even have the half years of freedom.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for coming on.
Speaker 3: When I seen your story in the Daily Mail, I was intrigued and as I said, I wanted to get.
Speaker 2: You on the podcast so I could talk about it in person.
Speaker 3: So before we get into everything that I know about you, let's start off about and talk about you as a family and growing up and what your family was like.
Speaker 1: It was turbulent and my parents had their own issues, you know, and if they tried as much as be could. But as a parent myself, I know that if I'm struggling, I struggle to be able to give anything back myself. So it's taken me a long time to understand, to understand that that they had their struggles, so it was difficult for us all and I don't you know, it's not something that I resent them for or anything like that, but it's turned me into the parent that I am. Maybe a little bit overbearing sometimes, but I would rather know that my boy was safe all of the time than not.
Speaker 2: Did you have a good childhood don't?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean I do remember before before the incident with Alex, I remember I was always more of a tumble I love being outside digging around in the dirt. Myself and my brother. You know, we had a nice relationship where we had lots of friends. We used to have friends around, We used to go swimming, we used to all sorts of stuff. And then slowly things started to go downhill. We moved to a different house, and slowly things started to go downhill, and then you know, what happened with Alex happened, and I don't really remember a lot of my childhood after that. I sort of became an adult after that.
Speaker 3: If you like, when this happened, you were eight years old, yeah, correct, Yeah, and you you're you're had like your parents were. When you say that they had their issues. Was it like they were kind of separating or they were just what was going through them.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean my dad, he used to work a lot to provide for the family. So again it's it's from sort of my own experience as a parent. It can get very lonely if you don't if you don't have people around you, So I think there was just looking for love in all the wrong places. Time that should have been spent with the concentrating on kids, it wasn't. It was either spent elsewhere or them button heads all the time. So I mean there was there was. I never witnessed any violence there, So that's you know, it was just it was not a nice environment to grow up in, was it was?
Speaker 3: It was it the kind of like what what you're saying is it was there was struggling because of work and bills, that kind of that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: That was that what's going on back on I.
Speaker 1: Think, yeah, and not not spending time in the right places, you know, not not actually making time for each other. It was still very much and this was only you know, twenty years ago, but it was still very much the man goes to work, the woman's stays at home and looks after the children. Well, my mother, you know, she she had her own aspiration, She had around things that she wanted to do, and you know, I think she would never say that we were ever a hindrance to her. But I don't ever think that her life was was how she wanted her life to be, you know. So it was then a knock on effect for the rest of the family.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed school.
Speaker 1: No, I was bullied all the way through school because I was a quiet, weird one. W yeah, but mainly in school. So from when I was in first school. This is what this is what's always bothered me. It was it was mainly all with boys who used to do it. And back in school, we were taught even at that age, well if a boy, you know, just something to you, it's because he likes you, if he's been horrible to you, if he punches you, because he likes you, and it's all bullshit. You know. I was fucking battered in school. I had my head braided off walls, I had my you know, I was punched in the face. I was It was horrible. I was so scared to tell anyone because I knew it would get worse. And it wasn't until there was one day I had my head smashed off a wall in first school. I was only little, but myself and my friend and my mother and her mother had gone swimming, and I'd cut the fringe in to try and hide. I mean, I've got a huge forehead as it is, but like this bruise, it covered everything, and so I'd cut the fringe in to try and hide it, and my mum went ape shit, but I couldn't tell her why I'd done it, And it wasn't until we'd gone swimming and my friend had pulled her into the changing room and said, look at her forehead. She was hit today at school. So my mum thought that it was and it was the right thing to go on and confront what was happening. But it did make things so much worse because even the teachers back then they didn't really give a shit either. It was just something else that they had to deal with because of the way that they had been brought up. They didn't really see issue with it either. You know, it was it's difficult, But then it got to middle school and it was more because I've been bullied all the way through first school. I didn't really have a voice then either. And then I started middle school and it was around that time Alex days what he did, so it just got made everything so much worse.
Speaker 3: I've never seen that in that when I went to school, you know, I never liked seeing gills get bullied.
Speaker 2: And that's that's that's so like it was awful.
Speaker 1: No, it's awful, and it's this is the thing. The majority of the time I have ever been physically attacked, it's been by men from a very very young age. So I can handle myself. Trust me, I can handle myself because I've had to. But you shouldn't ever have to, especially as a woman like you shouldn't ever have to be able to hand yourself, handle yourself against a man ever. But then in middle school, it it started in middle school. It was more so than girls, and it was People always used to say, well, it's a jealousy thing. It's a jealousy thing. But I because of everything that's already happened, I never saw anything about myself that could possibly ever make anybody jealous. You know, it was it was it was hard because you end up with no friends, you do end up feeling weird and you end up with nobody. And then it got to high school and it was just it was exactly the same. But because of things that have happened in my family life and because of how small the place was, I also then got lots of shit for for things that my parents had done because I was then in school with people who whose children, you know, their parents knew what was going on, and it was all gossipy, gossipy, So I've got a load of ship for that as well. So it was just it was never a very nice experience. I couldn't wait to leave. Everyone sair school is the best days of your life. That's fucking not.
Speaker 3: That's so weird, because the schooling for me was the best days of my life. And as I said, I've seen a lot of cat fights in school and like guys haven't fights too, but never seen a guy hit a girl and if he did, we would fucking crack him one.
Speaker 2: But like, that's it was. It was it a little country town, was it is?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Is that where you were living at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I still live up here, which is why I can't wait to get away. My family don't understand it. Well, Yeah, honestly, they're like, well, well we like living here. I say, yeah, but you've had a totally different experience to me. You know, I've had all sorts and more that we'll talk about happen up here. So but it is, it's very much if they don't know, you've ald make up whatever and people there are so many enablers, and there's so many places like this as well. I mean it isn't just here. I'll get lots of ship saying that about here now, but it's true, it's true, and there are so many enablers because you know, when it comes to smaller places, it's like these people are big fish and little ponds. So I have lots of lots of followers, lots of people who think that there's something and they're absolutely nothing.
Speaker 2: What was what was the main What was the main reason why they picked on you? What was what was he?
Speaker 1: Because I was quiet because I never stood up for myself because I never had a voice, I never I never stood up for myself ever, wow, Because it was like it was an easy target because like.
Speaker 3: Like I remember when I was in school and if I went overseas to like Spain or Greece, when I was a kid that came back brown. I remember that I was teased for being like they say, you know, the p wed to me, you're packing and all like that. But I wasn't but you because they didn't have a suntan.
Speaker 2: I was. I would, I would get fucking abused.
Speaker 3: But I'm trying to picture you as as a little kid, and I just can't see why they picked on you.
Speaker 1: Because I was quiet, because and again because of things that happened with my family. You know, it's like it really is ancestral purses. Things do get passed down, and.
Speaker 2: So what was the main issue there with the family. There must have been something massive.
Speaker 1: Like I said, people looked for love in the wrong places.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, so it was. It was difficult, not good.
Speaker 3: So describe and talk me through your next door neighbor before anything happened.
Speaker 1: Oh so, Alex, he wasn't actually my next door neighbor. He lived at the opposite end of the street to us, like only a few houses right now. Before it happened, there was a there was a group of us, you know, from all all different ages. It was a really it's a really small village. And back then there was lots and loads of kids. It was a really family orientated So there was kids from you know, my brother's age at the time, four or five, right up until Alex's age, and we wouldn't all necessarily play out together always at the same time, but there was always a handful of us from each age range. And there was him and two older boys. And these two older boys they lived across the road from me, and they were the main ones that he was friendly with. The two who lived across the road from me, they were nice, you know, they were funny. They were like older brothers, who who you could trust, who you could you know, they yeah, yeah, exactly. They looked after me. I was safe with them. But then Alex, he was just very different. And I know it sounds strange, but you can always tell by somebody's eyes, I think. And there was always just something that was never quite right about him because he was always so quiet compared to He was quiet around the little ones, the younger ones, but when he was with the older ones, he would be fine. Now, whether that's because he can't say that you didn't know how to act around younger children because he had younger siblings himself, or a younger sibling himself. Like I said, he was more of an observer rather than anything else. He would always sit back and he would listen to what was going on. But there was times that he would try to be protective like the other ones. But it was never to be creepy. Yes, it was never ever the same. There was always something about him. And that's what I said to him in one of our messages. You've always always had a side to you, and he always has and he always.
Speaker 3: Will describe that that that day because he went to the he went to like the for a walk in the woods or something like that.
Speaker 2: He's always hang out or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we went for a bike ride and it's literally just five minutes away. And yeah, he came to call on and we went out for a bike ride myself from my brother, and it was just, you know, another normal summer's day. If we weren't out on the bikes, were in the garden, or I was out on the horses with my friend. You know, we just it was just a normal day as far as I was concerned. And we got to the woods and there's there was a there's a gate, so we left our bikes at the gate and as you go through, it's a little narrow path and at the time it was just covered covered in nettles. I mean, I'm only five to three now, so when I was eight, I was a very short ast, so you know, I didn't want to be so I was a bit nervous. My brother he couldn't give a task. He was away, and and that was when Alex had said, you know, I'll give you a piggyback. And as a child, you don't ever ever, ever, I didn't even know what he was going to do to and I didn't know what that was. So as a child you don't necessarily think, you don't or you wouldn't necessarily think that a piggyback is going to be something abusive and threatening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you thought he was gonna. He was been he was looking after you, like to say, like I'm gonna, I'll help you get over the nettles.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah I did, so, Yeah, I wasn't. I know, people tell me not call myself now when I say that, because I'm talking about it from an adult's point of view now, ruts and how I felt as a child back then. So yeah, I trusted him. I did that. Yeah, right, I just trusted him.
Speaker 3: What so tell me so he before that had he shown any signs of doing anything wrong towards you?
Speaker 1: Not that I can remember. I mean there were times, you know when and I have talked to polics when we would there was a caravan and you know, they would try and get us to or he was one of them, would try and get us to play Strip Parker and the Caravan. It sounds really silly again because there were friends. You know, you don't ever, you don't ever think that it's going to be a sinister side to it, because again, you've never even really really when you're a child, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well we're being a kid like that age and doing something like that. You're just a kid, so you're just doing kid things and you think it's just yeah, okay, we're doing we're doing something naughty. But it's not gnawty, you know what I mean. Okay, let's you've been yeah, and that's all you're thinking. We're all having a bit of fun here, and that's it. You don't think no one's going to harm you or hurt.
Speaker 1: You, and you don't think you don't think at that time either about the age difference and the mental age difference between between them. Either, it's not until you get to an adult and then you see that was fucking weird, Like, yeah, that was weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you look at it and go, why would someone that age want to be hanging around with someone my age?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's when you start thinking exactly.
Speaker 3: So, so okay, so's he's about to give you a piggyback through the nettles.
Speaker 2: Then what happens? Then?
Speaker 1: So I jumped on his back, and pretty much as soon as I jumped on his back, his hands went up inside my shorts. And I know it sounds there's people and who have been through much much, much more awful terrible things, but as a child, because he was using his hands and he was inside me, I felt like he was trying to snatch my soul from me, and he did. He took part of me that day.
Speaker 2: Because he he violated you, He violated you.
Speaker 1: It was just horrible. Yeah yeah it.
Speaker 2: Did you tell him to stop?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, I told him to stop. Yeah, yeah, I told him as soon as he put his fingers inside me, I told him, Well, as soon as he put his fingers up my shorts, hands at my shorts. I told him to stop. And what was his reaction, Well, he told me he was going to drop me in the nettles if I complained, truck me in the nettles if I complained about it. So, and you know, back then as well well even nowadays, children at all to like, yeah, not speak unless I've spoken to and just to shut up and do as they're told by their elders. So because again, like I said before, he was a friend. He was somebody I trusted as much as I knew, and I felt that it was wrong and he was hurting me. Still in my child's brain, I was thinking, well, no, it what he's doing, it mustn't be hurting me, because nobody who cares about, nobody who's supposed to be your friend, would ever do anything like that to you know, would ever hurt you. So he then molded how I viewed, how I should be threaten, what love was since then? So he was a bustard, always will be.
Speaker 2: How like, how far was it did he have to piggyback you? Was it? Was it a fair distance?
Speaker 1: Or no? I mean it wasn't very far at all. I would believe that, say, it was a chill wren at walk. But when we got to the end, when we got to the end of the past, it was like a little hill and clearing, and he put me down there and he did it again, and it was worse that time because he was facing me and I could see his fucking face and he.
Speaker 3: Was so he actually put you down on the floor, and then while you're standing.
Speaker 1: There, and then it again. He sat me on the floor. He made me sit down on the floor, and then he did it again. Yeah, and then ah see this, So this is this is what this is why I find it difficult because this is the second time where I've gone into detail with any body. My parents, my friends only found out what you'd done when we were in court, so I have never So when I spoke to Phil and I did my video interview with Phil Trotter as a detective who was doing the case, it was so fucking difficult because when Alex was giving me a piggyback, I had to describe it all and he wasn't moving his hands. He was still, so he had his fingers inside me and he was still when he was giving me a piggyback. But then when he sat me on the floor. That was when it was different, you know, and there was movement and and it was, oh, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was Did you want to scream?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah I did. I wanted to scream out because he had threatened to drop me when he was doing what he was doing beforehand, I knew that what he was doing was wrong because if he had stopped, if he had listened to me, then I would have you know, I felt safe, But I didn't feel safe. I knew then I wasn't. I didn't feel safe the second time. It didn't continue for very long either, And it only didn't continue for very long, I think because my brother he made a noise and he came back.
Speaker 3: You didn't You didn't want to tell You didn't you didn't think you know what, I don't care what you say, I'm going to tell someone, or you.
Speaker 2: Were that scared.
Speaker 1: He threatened to kill my brother. So at the time, with everything that was going on at home, my brother was my best friend, you know, and what happens, if he had hurt them, that would have been on me. Then I would never ever let anything happen to you or whatever. Never, So I've always been like that. Thought was brother to protect other people than myself though, so I did, and I didn't tell because I didn't want him to be hurt.
Speaker 3: What what happened as you walked off? Did he walk with you, Alex? Or did he just h Yeah, like nothing happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nothing has happened. But again I can't remember even walking back through the front door when I got home. He took a lot from me that day, a lot. But yeah, afterwards, it was all just a bit of a blur really.
Speaker 5: Because I felt like I didn't have anywhere I know about when like, being eight years old, you don't you know, when you're eight, you don't know much about you know, all that kind of stuff, you know, being.
Speaker 3: What sexual parts are and all like that. So what was going for your mind? Were you talking to yourself about this? Were you saying that you know? Did you feel that it's hard to Maybe I'm trying to I know, I'm trying to picture what's going for your mind as an eight year old kid, and you're trying to Did you think that you've done something wrong to deserve this? You looked up to all the friends that in your in your street, and you go to play with, and then all of a sudden one of them was violated you when you just wanted help to get across the nettles, you know what I mean. Like your head must have been like I know if that you know, if that happens it any any kids that I had, Like I've.
Speaker 2: Been losing the plot, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And to not tell anyone for so many Like how long was it till you did tell someone?
Speaker 2: How many? How many years later?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 1: Twenty six years? Twenty six It's funny. I've had people, well, I've had people since the story came out, men who have abused me. Also who sent me messages, Oh I remember you telling me that? And I just think you ask whole like I don't want I don't remember ever telling you that. And two if I did, why why didn't you fucking help me? Either? Like why didn't you make me feel safe enough to help me? Either? Don't come at me now and tell me that I told you if you weren't prepared to help me, you know. But yeah, twenty six years and I only it got to the point where I had been assaulted, so I'd moved away to get away from my violent ex and just everything that had happened around here, and I moved not far, but it was beautiful. And then one day a woman in the village who had previously helped, she was an addict. She came and knocked on my door. We thought it was my son's friend, so we opened the door and she punched my tears out of my head. So then we didn't feel safe there, so we had to leave. And the only place that was available that I could afford at the time was back in the same village. So I was abused, and I think it was almost, you know, the universe's way of saying this is this is the final time I'm going to warn you need to go back and sort this shit out, because nothing, nothing that I was doing to help myself get off out other traumas I'd suffered, was helping because I'd never dealt with the root cause of it, and he was the root cause. So when I ended up coming back here every fucking morning on the news, it was different, all the numbers about different MECH officers and how many were being investigated, and I had a breakdown. For two weeks solid. I would drop my son off at school and I would come back and start on my bedroom floor. I literally drunks of hair because I just couldn't. I just didn't know what to do anymore. So it was either that or try and kill myself again, and that that's never worked. So I just I lost my ship one day and burst in at my dad's house, told my dad and said, listen, I need to take me to the police station. I need I need to report him.
Speaker 3: Did you feel when you did, when your family did do that, that was a big weight off your shoulders?
Speaker 1: It was, yeah, But then I was terrified. I was terrified because one I knew then that he was a police officer, and I had known that he was a police officer for a long time because obviously he told me because he'd contacted me and messages. This is what took me off as well. You know, for all of it. It wasn't just the incident. It wasn't just what you did. For years later he tormented me. Never ever ever let me forget him.
Speaker 2: So he tormented you years later?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, he kept finding me on Facebook, so after we'd done what he'd done. Sorry, I know, it's fetely scattered. My head's like I just get loads of different side quests, and so when he'd done what he'd done. The next time I'd seen him was when I was about fifteen and myself and a few friends had gone down into a pub after school and he was there and he tried to come over but speak to me, and I just ignore him, and I remember him saying, so right, I'll come up and see you. A few days later, i'd finished school, I was still in my school uniform, and I was in my bedroom and there was a knock at the door. My mum shouted, Alex to see it, to see you. And I can just remember, like I picked to the deck I have never dropped to the floor, was fast, and I was, you know, I was a fucking so pathetic. But I can just remember trying to crawl into my bed, thinking here, I'm gonna have to kill him. I just didn't want him anywhere near me, and I just refused to go down, and I was absolutely petrified, And I can remember my mom she went ape shit with me afterwards. Well he fucking came here to see you. We didn't come here to see me. But even then I just couldn't. I couldn't. I couldn't find the words. I couldn't find the words because in school, you know, the basic sex education that we got back then was only people who love and care for you will ever touch you in that way. That never went into you know, sexual abuse or anything like that stuff. And this is the really fucked up part which gets married. So for yees, I thought that he loved me because of.
Speaker 2: What you'd done.
Speaker 1: So everybody else since him, who I love me, has done similar things, because that was that was what I thought love was, you know, because I never heard but there are examples of it, or it's self respect. It was hard, so he would turn up at the house. He turned up at the house that day anyway, and my mom and ancient and then a couple of years later, no, no, I'm good obviously if I if I take time out, I'll you'll end up on a different side. Question will be somewhere somewhere else, And so yeah. Then a few years later I had done some modeling. I ended up playing in a couple of magazines that I wasn't awfully proud of, but I needed money. And again I thought that that was how it'll be loved, you know, that was how it'll be loved. So I don't know whether that was that was where it started with him, but it wasn't long after that that he'd started getting in touch with me on Facebook. And it was never a picture of him. It was always a police car, okay, and then he would he would tell me. So he told me that he joined the met Police. He sent me through pictures of himself, him in the back of a varan holding a gun. And it was that. It was that that really really terrified me, because I just thought, you know, whatever train and he's got, if we wanted to, it could take my brother away, and he could take me away. I mean not that I was. I was never bothered about me, but I never ever wanted him to touch my brother, so I'd never I wouldn't. I never said anything, you know, I pretended like I was happy for him, and that was the hardest thing. And I I used to get so angry with myself that even pretending to be nice to him when all I wanted to do was you know, rip right into him. But for years and years and years he.
Speaker 2: Would contact me, how old how old were you then.
Speaker 1: Late teens, early twenties, and how old was your brother? My brother? He was a couple of years younger than me.
Speaker 2: You didn't. You didn't want to. You did so, Yeah, but you did. You didn't want to when you when you.
Speaker 3: Got to like your late teens, and he and you just found out he was in the police force, or even when he came round to your house, you just didn't want to go and just.
Speaker 2: Go offer him for what he did. You still feel feed for your life? Still you're you're still scared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah I was. And because of my experience with my experiences after him with people, because I've been I'd never been allowed to have a voice, to speak or anything like that. As soon as I did have a meltdown, I was shamed for it. So I was shamed into never ever speaking about how I felt. I don't know, downward spiral.
Speaker 2: Wow, how did it?
Speaker 3: How did your parents take it when they finally found out and you had to tell them and take them to the police, Like, what was their reaction?
Speaker 2: Did they believe you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? My dad, to be honest, it was my dad, my dad I spoke to, and yeah, he believed me. However, I also struggled telling him anything more than just the very basics because my parents have shut me down quite a lot when I've gone to them with issues, so I find it difficult to again, you know, have a voice to tell them anything. So that was difficult in itself, even telling him.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he believed me, didn't you want to confront him.
Speaker 1: He's not that sort of man. He never has been. I've got bigger balls than him.
Speaker 3: But still it's still it's still you're still his daughter, like you're you're's he's the protector over you.
Speaker 1: What. So wow, that's that's and that's painful, Like that in itself is painful, you know, because there have been times when I've needed him when it's come to, you know, people being violent, and.
Speaker 3: Because I actually feel I feel sorry for you because the fact is not just because of your whole story, but I feel more sorry for you now because your own father didn't stand up for you and go and confront somebody who's touched his daughter and violated his daughter many years ago. Like it doesn't matter if he's if you've got bigger balls than him or not. At the end of the day, you're his daughter. No one should touch it is that no one should touch his daughter.
Speaker 1: It's always been more about, you know, what other people think. And how other people perceivers. So I've been stuck from doing a lot of text myself in order to to keep the family happy.
Speaker 3: Should we say, so, okay, tell me what it was like when you went into the police station, too, like to tell them what had happened to you, because now you're going in to tell a police officer, give a statement on a police officer.
Speaker 2: So that would have been hard in itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, this was the thing. So I was very well. I asked if I could speak to a female officer, because my dealings with male police officers locally, again when I've needed them to help me and protect me and my son, have been abysmal. So I didn't trust male police officers at all. So speaking with a female she was lovely. She was so kind, she was so courteous. Halfway through, she stopped and she was like, was going to stop for one second. She got up, she walked up and she came back and she was like, I'm just going to let you know it's been reported, it is officially a crime. Now it's you know, don't worry, we believe you.
Speaker 2: Keep going.
Speaker 1: Tell me what else you need to tell me. And it was when she said that. I just thought, finally somebody actually believes me, because so much has happened in my life and when I've told people about it, shout up, Katie, that's never happened, you know. So I've never ever been believed about anything. I've always told the truth about stuff. And this one time where I didn't think I was ever going to be believed, I really was. And had it not been for her, I probably wouldn't have reported it.
Speaker 3: You know what I've actually I've actually found lately that when I've read articles about things like what You've been through and other kind of abuses and all like that in the UK, that a lot of the police don't believe the victims until it's too late.
Speaker 2: There's a problem over there in the police force.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is it. So the violent relationship I was in, he came up. He's threatened to take me away and never kill me. He said no, no, that can see you again, and went round to my parents' house he said the same thing. The police came up. I reported it because he was driving past my house every single day. My then partner, he was stalking him, following him around, and a policeman came up, sat in my house and said to me, well, you should have just done what you want to want you to do. I said, are you're for real? He went, well, he's not done anything to you. He's threatened to take me away on I said, you didn't live with him, you didn't see what he was like. I know that he is capable of doing these things. I said, what have you got to wait until he actually he does it? You've got to wait where you'll do anything. He's not doing anything yet. Don't be so silly. Don't be so sick. I believe that's the thing. Don't be so don't tell me I'm silly, all of these fears that I am telling you, all of these things that I'm getting stressed about to put a panic button in my house. So they must have known. They know, Oh, they know what he is. He's a drug dealer. He's still carrying out and they fall the fuck all album. So they knew, and they did nothing to help me. And later on that day, my then partner went down to the petrol station and saw Dex and police officer who had been in my house stood on the forecourt having a laughing joke together. So my my view at that time was not very good. They had let me and my son so many fucking times, and uh that was I was terrified reporting it. I was terrified. And like I said, she she was amazing and she was brilliant. And she had said to me, it might take a couple of weeks before and hebe gets in touch with you, she said, but please be assured. We are going to deal with this. And I came away and I was still right. And I'll always be frightened, you know, because I don't even have two and a half years you got and a half sense, I don't even have to half years of freedom because he'll get after half of that. So it's it's still an interstice. But they believed me. And then when Phil trotted death and I thought it was a man, I just thought, but he was brilliant. He was you know, he made me feel comfortable. What could what could have a laugh? You know, it wasn't already doing my glue really serious and and there was one point during the interview and I could just remember look him and he was like, I believe you, I believe just keep on h and uh, nobody has ever really said that to kill me before, you know, nobody had ever really said that before. So he saved my life as well because it's being had not been sent away, I I would have felt like it was all just a massive waste of time and killed myself after if if we left that court free, because I just wouldn't have I would have wanted to deal with it anymore. I would have felt like I had everyone's time, So was that. It's really it's a really bittersweet thing, all of it. It's really bitter sweet, and it's it's just a huge headpuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how on your mind it must be. You still must be thinking about when he does get released, because.
Speaker 1: Shout they called man a blank an end your neighbor. You know he knows you, knows where I live, which is why I'm desperate to move. He used to tell me in some of these messages when he was up here visiting family in the same village. His family didn't know he smoked, so we would go out on a night time and walk around so we could have a How do I know he wasn't outside my house? You know? How how do I know that? So when I was on the phone tell during the investigationist and Phil and fucking terrified what happens to ye? And he said, but the many and then junction, I wouldn't be worth the papers. I'm here like spring straight away if he comes near you, but I don't think he will. And I can remember going wild up and down the phone one day. And it wasn't because I was crossed with Phil, because I knew he still in his job, but I was terrified, like you shouldn't ever been break your own home. But yet again I asked, and I just needed I don't know, I just needed to feel safe.
Speaker 3: So can I ask you something does because you still because you still live in the same village of where all this happened, and he's from there, and he's from the same village and all this would have hit the news when it all happened.
Speaker 2: Did the village turn on you?
Speaker 1: No, I had. I had a messages from from people who knew me when I was a kid, you know, I saw me growing up and were like, I'm so sorry that ever happened to you. But a lot of people who are still in the village, who were here at the time, they about the family stuff. They knew about what was happening and at home, so we were sort of. It sounds terrible and I hate certain stuff about my fife, but we were we were always the talk about family in the village anyway because of my parents. So really it makes no difference.
Speaker 3: But what about as parents, parents still live there, How have they treated you since all this happened.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen them, to be quite honest with you, I'm a right home. I hardly leave the house. I really struggle, I really struggle.
Speaker 3: You can't keep living your life, but you can't keep living your life like hiding in a village that you don't like, and like, sure, it's.
Speaker 1: Just I am desperate. I am desperate to move away, but because of the situation, I mean at the minute, it's difficult, and like I said, not have thought of my parents. Even at thirty six, I still feel like sounds so stupid. I can't need to do what some old you know, and I don't keep up Scotland mastern and ruining his life because.
Speaker 2: Hal you know, yeah, but you're not. You're not ruining his life.
Speaker 3: But by moving away so you feel safe, like you want your son, your son needs you. And and the fact that if you're still feeling for this for your safety when he gets released and you're you're you're already thinking.
Speaker 2: About suicidal stuff. You need to move When when does he get released next summer?
Speaker 1: At some point I'm not doing I'm not sure and I don't understand how how they can really steps offenders early. So Gurman German Sentencing. We've found out that since he had been suspended in November, he'd been retraining to be I can't remember whether it was a plumber or an electrician. So he didn't want to go to prison because he heard becoming Adam's and I can remember saying to Phil when we came, when we came out of court, how is that? How could he if he said, if he passed on what company stood sex offenders? Sex offender's registerant has been since I think it was February the year, so how would that be possible? Who the fuck would want to employ him? And suddenly if he went self employed, he was going to be doing the texts because when we'll come in bour homes, it's not one of the first things we asked them. Excuse me, are you're an offender? Do you have any offenses? Blah blah blah on their name badge? Is it going to be their actual name, or will they have been given identity When Alex was not identified by the papers, when he wasn't identified on his miscontract report with the police. That's why it really really fucked me off, because I just thought, yet again, nobody know who he is, what he looks like, or what he's done. And that's not right that especially especially if he's gone into a job which is a trade where he's going to be in people's houses and possibly around to the children. So it was me who the papers about him. It was me push to have his fucking flace put out there, you know, otherwise he would have still gotten away all, he would have still been able to hide behind everything.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm well, that's why when I when I read your story, and that's the whole reason why I wanted you on here so I could point the finger at him if you if you really want me to know, so I can get it out there more, you know what I mean, Because yeah, it's fucking disgusting what he's done to you and and the way he still makes you fear for your safety. I'm just so it's you just seem so lonely because you've got no help.
Speaker 2: And it seems like you've had no help for years, bottling all it up inside you.
Speaker 3: I want to really say, you know, a massive, massive thank you for coming on.
Speaker 2: But I really like when we going off.
Speaker 3: When we get off here, I'm going to talk to you to get someone who's been on the show, and I'm going to try and get her to contact you to try and help you, because she went through the same thing, because she does a lot of work for all this, and I think you need it. You need someone in your corner who can help you and your son. So I'm going to reach out to her to get in touch with you. But I want to thank you for coming on and sharing this because you don't deserve that. And now there's your son, and hopefully this episode when it drops that people will reach out to you and help you.
Speaker 1: I just I just don't want to keep going through any of It's we end up with fucking generations and generation should have really really broken people if it doesn't stop, and it's not right because our children don't say it. I just I just want to feel safe and I want Hindu basel. But thank you for asking me, and I really really appreciate it. H M