Speaker 1: Apogae Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mom?
Speaker 1: Podcast?
Speaker 2: We're on Instagram too. At am I A Bad Mum?
Speaker 1: We are You'll always tell when we're on. Because we're on.
Speaker 3: There's so many memes that will go up in a row that get sent to us from the other mums and dads that pick up the same vibes that we're picking up on.
Speaker 1: They're so funny.
Speaker 3: We love literally receiving them to be able to share them.
Speaker 2: I got a message from a lovely lady the other day on Instagram and it said, I've just discovered your podcast. I feel so seen.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, we are absolutely not alone in this wonderful world of parenting.
Speaker 2: And don't be offended as well if you're on our Instagram and we don't reply back straight away. We have moments I feel like going ages without responding, and then all of a sudden, we'll respond to everyone in one way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just life as a parent.
Speaker 3: One minute I can reply today, and then three weeks later I'll.
Speaker 1: Come back to you. Am I a bad Mum?
Speaker 2: For not feeding them?
Speaker 1: In general?
Speaker 2: Generally speaking, there's a few things involved with this. The first one and the reason why I was bringing it up, is because Amelia came down. Obviously, school holidays, they've been sleeping in a little bit longer. So literally they're wanting breakfast, like lunchtime, skipping breakfast, going straight to lunch. And she was like, there is no food in this house. Out there was food rage. But I pride myself in being able to make something out of nothing. Yeah, I'm very good at that. Jay and the girls are terrible at it. They will look in the fridge, open it up, stare everything, and go, there's literally nothing that I can just take out and eat. So she's always saying things like that. They're both always saying things like that. But this particular day, rage, we really had nothing really, So even.
Speaker 3: Though you can make something out of nothing, that particular day you were even like stretching your own ability.
Speaker 1: You were like, how far can I push them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I reckon, could I make out of all of nothing that we've got in the house today?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think at a stretch, if I included the freezer, I still would have been able to make something.
Speaker 1: It just wouldn't have been as quickly on hand.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So this is the difference where I think some people and I'm not putting myself into J and the girl's category because I'm not that far in because I'm a little bit like you aroundm like no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Let's use what we've got and let's do that.
Speaker 3: But like some times even I go, fuck rat, you really let yourself down and your family because genuinely you can't make anything right now, and you're usually.
Speaker 1: They're on the fly, hungry, and then I get angry.
Speaker 2: Life is busy, Like I feel like going grocery shopping is a real luxury.
Speaker 3: To be inture that it's at the same time, your girls are at a different age where what are they looking for? Though?
Speaker 1: This is what I'm thinking.
Speaker 3: If I'm getting up at midday and I've slept, what am I looking for at twelve o'clock? In my head, I wouldn't know what I'm looking for a twelve o'clock because my body clock is so far gone that I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: I don't even know, Like I'm so lost with what to even get them, like they don't like anything, anything, nothing. But this particular day, Amelia was like, there is no food. There is literally no food in the house, and she'd come out to where I was in the lounge room and both our cats were there. Now, our cats are never usually close by at each other. It's a very angry relationship.
Speaker 1: They've never come around.
Speaker 2: And on this particular day, both cats were laying there and I was like, tried to distract Amelia from the fact there was no food in the house and went look at the cats living in harmony. And she turned around to me and she went, yeah, the cats are all right. There's more cat food in this house than there is human food. Do you want us to.
Speaker 1: Start eating the cat food?
Speaker 2: I was like, shit, I should really go to the shops.
Speaker 1: You know. I think that's a great idea.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a lot of nutrition in cat food and maybe you should give it a go and see me one hundred percent. But this is where it comes off for me, is the fact that your children also have access to Uber Eats. Yeah, and they do utilize this a bit, don't they, the Uber eat But RT is my credit cardge I know this, But.
Speaker 1: That's why I was like, I would just turn.
Speaker 3: Around and go, well, there's something here, so i'd Uber eats the groceries here, well, ken Now.
Speaker 2: I like getting chef good Now microwave meals. I feel like there's a bit of shame over microwave meals, that they're not healthy and they're a bit lazy. Now, these particular ones, we're not sponsored by Chef Good. I'm sure there's plenty of companies that do healthy ones.
Speaker 1: These are healthy ones, proper ingredients.
Speaker 2: They're nice.
Speaker 1: Where are you getting them from?
Speaker 2: I really love them.
Speaker 1: You buy them online online, because they're not at Woolies or anything.
Speaker 2: No, and then you choose your recipes and then they deliver them basically, and if you look at the cost of living in bloody supermarkets at the moment, these Hello Fresh Marley Spoon, they're actually not as overpriced as they used to. Feel like Woolies is bloody one hundred dollars I spend pretty much every time I go in to get dinner.
Speaker 3: I feel because you get distracted. That's because you get distracted by everything else. It's like that's on special, that's on special. I'm not I don't even need liquid for my washing machine, but because it's on special for twelve dollars, I'll get the six one to go up and just in case.
Speaker 1: They're just in case I do that.
Speaker 2: I know I do that, so I don't mind buying these, right the girls shame me or not?
Speaker 1: Are they individual kings? Are they individual ones?
Speaker 3: Or are they Like in my head, I'm thinking, because you said the ingredients are fresh and all the rest, is it like, what's the other one? Like?
Speaker 1: Hello fresh muley me where all the ingredients come? But you still got to cook it?
Speaker 2: No, they're already made by chefts and then you just shove them in the microwave. Now, I don't love the idea of not cooking stuff. However, life is busy. Parents are busy, Moms are busy. Sometimes they are really handy to have in the fridge on those days where you get home late and I've got to stage my life rate where I'm like, stop shaming yourself and make your life easy? Does this make my life easy? I went through a stage of if it's sunny outside, I'm like, I can't put washing in the dryer if it's sunny outside. And now I'm like, is it going to help me out to shove all of that towels and underwear and socks and stuff in the dry out rather than spend all that time hanging out each sock on the line. Yes, it's gonna help my life. So just pay the little bit more on the electricity bill, take away the shame of it being sunny outside and that's not what you should do, and just make life easy for yourself.
Speaker 1: We should all be doing that, Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Anyway, back to the dinners, Holly shames me for buying those. Oh you didn't kick dinner again. I went, you know what, Me and Dad like these on the occasions that we're home late. Now you can choose your recipes for next week on the app. Or your other option is you cook for yourself on two days a week, because that's all I buy them for two days a week, two days when we're back laters to sit in the fridge and whatever. And she looked at me and she was like, okay. I was like, you need to go down to the shop. I'll give you the amount of money I spend on those. You've got to find something for that amount of money. It's like ten dollars a meal age. There you go, two meals a week for the two of you. You got forty dollars. Go down to Woolies, find something, cook it on those two days a week. I'll just order the recipes.
Speaker 3: See, But at the same time, I'm just going to make you feel a little bit worse about yourself, mum and just tell you that you're a bad mum because you're ordering chef good Okay, amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love the theory that you just use. Then I've like, does this make me happy? I one hundred percent agree. I am not there yet with cooking, but again, our girls are at different sort of age groups, and also I have a fussy eater, so then if I gave her the option, it would just be one big bowl of meat and nothing else.
Speaker 1: So I'm sort of like at both ends of it.
Speaker 3: But I understand that feeling of going, fuck, do I really want to do this tonight?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And mine comes from the part of going do I really want to battle them.
Speaker 1: Having to eat dinner? Like? And it doesn't have to be about it. I get this.
Speaker 3: Everyone's parenting styles allows different availability, whether they eat or.
Speaker 1: They don't eat.
Speaker 3: I hate wasting food, so mine is like about like, obviously, if you're hungry, now eat it now, because you're not having it's not as open small as board. The covers are not open for snacks after no kitchens, so if you're hungry, eat it. If you're not, it'll be there tomorrow for lunch, or or I'll put it in your you know, your lunch box. Grace's actually down with that idea now, She's just like, yeah, just put in my lunchbox.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, I want everybody listening to this week consciously make an effort to do something that's going to make your life easier. The amount of times I'd be like rushing home from work, we had to be out, babysitter was coming. I didn't know what to do them for dinner, and I would shame myself, going, don't get the macas.
Speaker 1: That's so bad.
Speaker 2: Just go through the fucking drive through.
Speaker 1: Is it going to make your life?
Speaker 3: Is it? Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What are you going to do to make your life is?
Speaker 1: I'm not going through McDonald's. That makes my life sucking harder, I can tell you that much.
Speaker 3: The amount of guilt that I put my own self through, it's not my kids. So I was like, I absolutely punish myself thinking you have to go to the gym tomorrow. Yeah, that's just my own head noise. But I'm with you and saying, how can you lighten the load.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the moment of shame. Choose what's going to make your life.
Speaker 1: Easier and what's going to make you happy.
Speaker 3: Mine is like that little part of me going, do you really want this?
Speaker 1: Do you really want to be doing this? I mean parenting.
Speaker 3: Don't try and opt out of it all the time because we don't want these wild animals of children.
Speaker 1: But I mean, yeah, I get it, I get it. I'm the same. I love it. Great theory. Good wrap up there, Katie. We'll take that lak.
Speaker 3: We'll take that one, put it in our pocket.