Speaker 1: Late Wait, general, welcome, late.
Speaker 2: Turbay, good evening and thanks for joining us on the Late Debate. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Joe hildebrandsitting in for Caleb Bond coming up tonight. If you thought breakdancing was a silly sport at the Paris Games, wait until you hear what they've got planned for LA in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Plus when we get.
Speaker 2: To the papers, new South Wales barristers to be trained in trans issues and a former South Australian Liberal leader facing up to ten years in jail after pleading guilty to supplying drugs. All of that coming up shortly, but first, with Peter Dutton's Budget reply speech done tonight, the battle lines have well and truly been drawn. All that remains is for Anthony Albanezi to call the election, and for a moment today it seemed like he had. While Parliament was still sitting the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet tweeted that the governor had the government rather had entered into caretaker mode. Anthony Albanezi went on ABC Radio to say no, no, no, haven't called the election just yet, but it's imminent.
Speaker 4: I've got a birthday in May, so I just need to know which weekends I'm keeping free.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, well it will be in May.
Speaker 2: I can guarantee that, and it'll be called pretty imminently that I'm not calling it today, but I will call it soon. Typically an election is called on a Sunday, but most people are tipping Elbanezi will go to the Governor General tomorrow for two reasons. Firstly, the Governor General is away most of the weekend, so it would make sense.
Speaker 3: To go on Friday.
Speaker 2: But second it would take the wind out of coverage of Peter Dutton's Budget reply speech, which we'll get to in just a moment. But first, Liz, do you care when the election is held? Is this something that you're waiting with baited breath to find out?
Speaker 1: When's your birthda fifth of June?
Speaker 5: Send all gifts and crane to live is too care of? I reckon that most people who do pay attention to the media, which is not the vast majority of Australians. I don't think so when it comes to politics anyway, will be surprised to know it hasn't already been called. This campaign feels like it's been happening for weeks, if not already. Indeed, and of course he's got to call it now because he's run out of time. There's no window left. So this is hardly a surprise.
Speaker 2: Joe, You've got the Prime Minister's yet, No will we call the election?
Speaker 1: We might even call me No, I don't know.
Speaker 6: And that is the absolute honest truth in terms of what anything I've been told.
Speaker 1: But everything that I.
Speaker 6: Have understood from various people was that it was going to be April twelve, or possibly even brought forward to April the fifth, so as not to eat in to pass over.
Speaker 1: And this is at a time when you know, we have the.
Speaker 6: Anti Semitism crisis front and center, and then of course Cyclone Alfred happened. And the earliest you could have it after that is the third of May because of school holidays, Easter, Anzac Day, et cetera, et cetera, And that is indeed when it will be. So if I was on Triple M Hobart, I would say, Prime Minister, my birthday is the third of May. It's a Saturday. Should I be having a sausage sizzle? And I think that's well be It makes perfect sense. Like Liz says, the election campaign has been going on forever, forever, forever already. Some people, interestingly enough have said that maybe, and this is maybe a bit too three D or four D chess, that maybe the April dates were deliberately put out there to kind of get Peter Dutton to sort of peak too early and sort of string out the coalition. And it's various canis for as long as possible, and I hope that they would run out of ideas, run out of things to say, run out of momentum, and indeed maybe stumble and make a few gaps towards the end. So that is one possibility. I know certainly there is a thought in the thought in the labor camp and that they're feeling much more bullish than they were. You know, a few months ago they were like lining up at the top of the cliff, you know. But but now there's actually a really strong set that actually we've got this, We've got Peter Dutton's measure.
Speaker 1: He doesn't really have anything to offer. We've just got to hold the ship.
Speaker 6: Together and something I believed or not people are actually talking about, maybe even not minority government. I can't.
Speaker 2: He said that to the majority and an increased majority.
Speaker 6: So he said that to Donas and you would say that to you would say that to people who you're asking to give your money, and we can. You know, not that the two have anything to do with each other, but that we will be in charge when it comes to making decisions, not effect.
Speaker 2: Let's get to Peter Dutton's Budget reply speech, which he gave just a couple of hours ago. There were sort of four areas that he focused on energy costs, housing, cost of living and social cohesion. But I want to start where he finished tonight because he used the line I think we'll be hearing a lot of in the.
Speaker 3: Next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: He was asking, can Australians are four more than another three years of a labor government?
Speaker 7: Australians are worse off under the Albansi government and Australians cannot afford three more years of this bad labor government. I say to Australians tonight, at this election, you can make the right choice, a better choice for you, a better choice for your family, and a better choice for your country. Together, let's build a stronger, safer and better Australia, and let's together get our country back on track.
Speaker 3: It's a good line.
Speaker 2: We can't afford another three years of labor when everyone's struggling with cost of living. Pitted up and described Labour's energy policy is quote unquote a train wreck, and was quick to remind Australians though were promised a price reduction of electricity two hundred and seventy five dollars, but instead prices have gone up one thousand, three hundred dollars. And that's not the only thing that's gone up.
Speaker 7: Your bills tell the true story of Labour's cost of living crisis. And here's the facts of the Albanesi government's economic record. Rents are up by eighteen percent, housing is up by fourteen percent, groceries up by staggering thirty percent, electricity is up by thirty two percent, and assurance is up for many households and businesses by thirty five percent.
Speaker 3: Liz, there's just no arguing with that.
Speaker 2: As Peter Dutton says, your bills tell you the story of the past three years.
Speaker 3: Do you want more of that or do you want something different?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, don't take my word for it. Just check out your bills over the last few years. Look I would have loved to see him go stronger on quite a lot of these issues, and as we know, most of these aren't paying attention to the budget speech much less the budget in reply speech. It's it's the marketing campaigns. It's the election campaigns that then springboard off that and quote themselves line for line ad nauseum for weeks on end until people go to the polls. But in terms of immigration, that being a big one. Dutt says he's gonna cut immigration by a quarter for the first two years, from one hundred and eighty five thousand to one hundred and forty thousand for the first two years, and then bring it back up to one hundred and fifty thousand one hundred and sixty thousand in years three and four, respectively. I think a lot of people would have liked to see him go harder there. Really, that's only one hundred and fifty thousand less immigrants over the course of those four years. With regards to refugee and humanitarian intake, he's slashing that from twenty thousand to thirteen and a half thousand, So that's a really sizeable cut there. But we've got the bean on foreign investments. No longer will people from overseas be able to buy up property here? That is so overdue, it's a joke, but finally happening. The big question is why only for two years Dutton? Why wouldn't we just make that permanent. He said he's going to cap international students, but didn't say by how much to my knowledge. And then, of course the promise to scrap forty thousand public servants. The question remains, how is this going to go with the population, particularly those people living in the seventeen seats that he needs to swing in order to put a dent in this Now. I don't think anyone's realistically suggesting, although I have heard some realistically suggest and to those people I say, look, it's free to dream. But the likelihood of getting a majority a liberal government out of this election is just I can't believe anyone's talking about that, like it's remotely possible. By an act of God, they could get a minority government, but goodness knows, even that would be a miracle. So at the end of the day, as much as this is a much much better budget for me, it almost doesn't matter what DUTs promise is At this point when you look at the numbers, that's how big a dent you've got to make, and it just looks so unrealistic.
Speaker 2: I'm keen to find out from you that the battle between the tax cuts promised by elban Easy and the fuel excise cut promised by Dutton. Dutton has said he will not go ahead with the tax cut promised by Alban Easy.
Speaker 3: So he's being.
Speaker 2: Accused of what you want to raise taxes in the middle of the cost of living crisis, He says, Look, Labour have put us a trillion point two in debt. We just can't afford tax reform. But will the fuel excise which applies immediately be more appealing than a five dollar a week tax cut starting in fifteen months from now.
Speaker 6: Look, I think it's got more cut through, that's for sure. And I think the thing with you know, we talk about powerbills now, the power bell is probably not your biggest expense when you're running a household.
Speaker 1: It would be things like petrol.
Speaker 6: It would be things like you rent your mortgage, you know, putting food on the table. But it's the thing you notice the most because you open it every month or every three months and think, Holy crap that has just jumped through the roof. And that of course where we get the term bills right. So, and the same thing happens when you go to philp if you're filling up on a particularly bad day in the cycle and you know that suddenly you're looking at you know, it's only just fairly recently where we're all started looking at triple figures.
Speaker 1: It would have been unthinkable.
Speaker 6: Just a few years ago that people think, holy crap, And so it sticks in your mind as a kind of lightning rod of discontent. Obviously, the tax carts will deliver much more money in people's pockets and over a much longer period of time. So in terms of it's a bit like delayed gratific cashing. Now do you want your you know, do you want one lollipop now or to wait a year and you get two lollipops. But I think it's just difficult, like Liz says, structurally, it is just such an incredibly difficult mountain that Peter Dutton and the Coalition have to climb, and the fact that they are you know, eight nine seats down in the Parliament and that people are actually talking about them being able to come back and after one term for the first time almost a century, like look the Great Depression and a labor schism. For that to be able to happen to James Scullen's government, I think it was better it was at Watson's anyway, point being it is very very difficult to see how they can do that, And I think there's also a sense in the Labor Party that they have got the wobbles have stopped, the death spiral has stopped, you know, they were dive bombing. They've now sort of flattened out. They're now starting to pull back up and it looks like Dutton has the College has lost a bit of momentum, so that I think is about where we sort of start. But then, of course anything can happen.
Speaker 2: And there's the other interesting part about Dutton's speech tonight was he talked quite a bit about social cohesion.
Speaker 5: Yes, indeed, he wasn't going to pass up an opportunity to take on the weak leadership of the alb and Ezy government on this particular issue across the board throughout the entirety of their tenure. Here he is talking about that.
Speaker 7: It started with the Prime Minister's voice referendum which sought to divide our country by ancestry and race. He then left a vacuum of leadership following the prime wave in Alice Springs and the anti Semitism on the steps of the Sydney Opera House. All too often the Prime Minister is too late and too equivocal. This government has released three hundred hard core criminals from immigration to Tension into the community, with more than a third having reoffended against Australian citizens. It granted tourist visas to three thousand people from a terrorist controlled warzone, conducted without security checks that should have been put in place. It's failed to deter people smugglers trying to reach our shores by illegal boats. It's turned a blind eye when our military personnel have been endangered. And it didn't stand up for our country when Chinese communist warships entered our warders without notice, and it relied on Virgin Australia pilots to alert us to the Chinese Navy's life fire exercise of our coast.
Speaker 5: I'm sure that list was a lot longer and they just had to pick their favorites out of the lot. I mean goodness, me he could have done his whole budget rep live speech, though it doesn't exactly between into the budget, but good on him for not passing up the opportunity he could have.
Speaker 6: But that is one of the other problems that Dunton faces. And again this is something both the liberal and the Labor Party's face, but that he's kind of boxed in. If he comes across as too much of a strong man, too much like Donald Trump, he risks putting off female voters and teal voters and.
Speaker 1: Small ld moderate Libs.
Speaker 6: But again, if he doesn't go hard enough and strong enough his bass and people like you say, well, hang on a minute, what's the difference between him and the labor parties?
Speaker 2: Then for one second, because he raised a really good point. He's accused of, you know, being like Trump in some of his policies. But did you notice tonight he compared himself to John Howard.
Speaker 3: Was that a deliberate thing?
Speaker 2: Do you think to try and head off the comparisons with Trump.
Speaker 6: Everyone is compared, Everyone compares themselves to John Howard. But easy was comparing himself to John Howard at the last election of John However, I was like, no.
Speaker 1: There's nothing but yes, I think it's very deliberate.
Speaker 6: I think being like Trump was a really really good thing three months ago when labor was at its absolute doldrums and Trump was riding high and hadn't made any big decisions yet. And being like Donald Trump is we're going to find out in the next topic, is now actually a really bad thing for a leader to be in the lead up to an election.
Speaker 5: Well, speaking of Donald Trump, he just announce it twenty five percent tariff. I think at this point it would be a shorter story if we just list the countries and products that don't. That's right, twenty five tariff here.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, tariff on everything.
Speaker 5: Tariff this time he's announced it on all cars coming into the state. So of course this has countries like Canada, like the European Union, Japan, they're all up in Ar'm saying, well, excuse me, this is a massive issue for us. We send a lot of cars your way. But this is an America first president and he's making sure that the car manufacturers in America are going to be bolstered under his administration.
Speaker 8: Here he is, so we'll effectively be charging a twenty five percent tariff. But if you build your car in the United States, there's no tariff. And what that means is a lot of foreign car companies, a lot of companies are going to be in great jap because they've already built their plant.
Speaker 5: This guy's fast becoming even more famous than he already is for this really unconventional use of tariffs. He's got one for everybody, but he does. He does love a tariff.
Speaker 9: And I say, the most beautiful word in the entire dictionary of words is the word tariff.
Speaker 1: I love tariff.
Speaker 9: I can make anybody do anything through the use of tariffs.
Speaker 1: I can keep people out of war. I can keep us out of war. The word tariff is the most beautiful.
Speaker 9: I think I'll do this just so I don't get myself in trouble. I'm going to say the third most beautiful love and religion, and then the word tariff.
Speaker 1: Then the word tariff.
Speaker 5: Love, religion, tariff. They all go to get He's so God hopeing tariff's and the grace of these is tariff's.
Speaker 1: Indeed.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, everyone's always known this long before he became president. You can watch videos of Donald Trump saying twenty years ago, this is what I would do if I was president of this country, I would slap these tariffs on absolutely everybody, make all American manufacturers first, Let's just make the most We've got this huge market here. We're the ones who are going to benefit from it more than anybody else. And he is absolve. I've lost count of.
Speaker 2: The well early indications that it might work in helping to inspire American manufacturing. Rolls Royce announced that they will open new plants in the United States. Of course they're not just building cars, but they're building engines for aeroplanes. Vogswagon have announced they are looking at opening factories in the United States, particularly for Audi and Porsche vehicles, which they sell. But these taffs will apply to half of all cars sold in the United States currently and a sixty percent of car parts that are used in the United States.
Speaker 6: How amazingly visionary and forward thinking of it was for the Abbot government to shut.
Speaker 1: Down the Australian order industry. That was really ahead of the ball.
Speaker 6: But yes, well, the reason why, a large part of the reason why Trump got locked in twenty sixteen was because of Mexico, especially car makers outsourcing their production to mexicoss the board and just across the border where labor costs were much much lower obviously, and they could produce cars that were made in America until yesterday right next door, so the transfer costs of negative bill as well.
Speaker 1: And away you go.
Speaker 6: And that really that is almost the definition of the cause of the sort of rust belt, you know, that was that is what turned Detroit into a hellscape. It's what it's and it was the example of what's so unfair about you know, neoliberalism or free free market economics. And this is the amazing thing, Like the idea that you would have a Republican candidate campaigning on just tariffs for everybody would have just been nuts, you know, just a few years ago, the idea that the Republican Party is now the party of tariffs and the Democrats are now the.
Speaker 1: Party of free trade.
Speaker 6: That is a complete and utter, one hundred and eighty degree reversal of where the parties used to be ideological. This is, i reckon, the biggest thing to happen since you know, the Democrats were the party.
Speaker 1: Of segregation and slavery.
Speaker 6: And the Republicans were the party of emancipation.
Speaker 1: It is incredible, incredible turnaround.
Speaker 2: Well, while Trump reorders the global economy. He's also making a massive difference to women's sport. We'll talk about the World Athletics Association, which has just made a big announcement in the last day or two. But before we get to that, here's Donald Trump talking about trans issues, particularly as it pertains to female sports.
Speaker 9: No matter how many surgeries you have or chemicals you inject, if you're born with male DNA and every cell of your body, you can never become a woman.
Speaker 1: You're not going to be a woman.
Speaker 9: And that's why last month they proudly signed a historic executive order to ban men from competing in women's sports. And it was very popular.
Speaker 2: And of course announcements like that mean we can finally say goodbye to things like this.
Speaker 5: To give it are you going very brig.
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Of course, all of this came to a head at the Paris Games when a boxer of questionable gender won the women's boxing, reducing opponents to tears within seconds. That caused a massive furor, and then the debate continued.
Speaker 3: The IOC said it.
Speaker 2: Was impossible to decide between a man and a woman, and they would love for someone to come up with a scientific test. Well, Lord Sebastian Coe, who heads up the World Athletics, has said, we've come up with an idea.
Speaker 3: What we're going to do is we're going to take.
Speaker 2: A simple swab of people's saliva and we'll be able to determine whether they're male or female and fit to compete in women's sport.
Speaker 3: They'll only ever need to do it.
Speaker 2: Once in their career, and from now on that's what will be happening, at least in athletics, he said overnight. It's important to do it because it maintains everything that we've been talking about and particularly recently about not just talking about the integrity of female sport, but actually guaranteeing it. We feel this is a really important way of providing confidence and maintaining that absolute focus on the integrity of the competition. Now this might sound revolutionary, but it's really just back to the future because swab tests were routinely conducted at the Olympic Games right up until the Sydney Olympics when the International Olympic Committee abandoned them, trying to be more inclusive as a result of that, at the Rio Games just sixteen years later, This is in twenty sixteen, in the women's eight hundred meters, famously, gold, silver, and bronze were won by biological males. Well, that won't be happening anymore. The Athletics Association, or rather World Athletics, have said from now on, everyone who competes in female sports, at least on the track, past that test.
Speaker 5: And importantly this will also differentiate. This test will also differentiate between biological women and those who are born with DSD, which is difference in sex development, which is the famous case that you were alluding to there with the boxing at the Olympics. This was someone who was born female, grew up female, et cetera, and so on, but had all the advantages, not all the advantages, but many of the advantages of a male due to having DSD. And when you look at the numbers of women who have lost in countless now Olympics in different competitions across the board, not to transgender athletes, but to athletes with DSD, which was giving them an unfair advantage against just your garden variety biological female. That too is incredibly important.
Speaker 6: So the swab test you said, it'll be able to differentiate between male chromosome. So the DSD athletes would still be able to compete in this.
Speaker 5: It says the test will look for the s R Y gene, which is part of the Y chromosome and causes male characteristics to develop. It goes into detail, but it specifically says and explains how.
Speaker 1: Trans or DSD. So even if you're born Yeah, sad.
Speaker 5: It is, but there's no other way to make it. Fairs have ever the majority.
Speaker 6: Competing in women's sport. Joe, I thought maybe in the female breakdancing I would have been a shot.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone would be a shot in the female breakdancing based on what we saw at Paris. No disrespect to Reagan, but don't do that. She owns the right.
Speaker 4: Joe.
Speaker 6: I reckon you could give her U one for move I am I invented the Melbourne shuffle?
Speaker 1: Did you know that?
Speaker 2: From From Olympic Sport to music, the Queensland Music Awards this week caused controversy. In fact, the Brisbane Lord Mayor has accused them of being hijacked by extremists after they awarded a jazz musician a major prize for a pro Palestinian song called River to Sea. Now when the recipient of this award. Kelly Green stood up to receive it. She then took a minute or more to make a speech that was quite anti Israel, pro Palestine.
Speaker 3: Have a listen to what she said.
Speaker 5: We are now a day five thirty five seventy six years of the Interroli jediside I guess the people of Palestine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how you already said about the lines by the mainstream media in the Western governments secuting Australia.
Speaker 9: Who's the porter of the mass slaughter and they cleansing.
Speaker 5: Of the into an entire race offa.
Speaker 2: She stood up to receive her award, wearing Palestinian colors. She talked about boycotting Israel. She took the term never again, which applies to what Jews suffered in the Holocaust, and used it in favor of Palestinians. And she ended her speech by saying, from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. Now, that's a phrase that among many Penny Wong has said it constitutes hate speech, and the Albanezi once said it has no place in Australia, and of course Hamas have co opted that slogan as well. So on hearing of this, the Brisbane Lord Mayor announced that they would be immediately withdrawing twenty five thousand dollars worth of funding for the Queensland music industry. He said, allowing such vile hate speech to occur shows the awards seem to be no longer capable of achieving their own stated goal to promote diversity and inclusion. As a result, will be immediately withdrawing our funding and support for these awards now. The organizers of the awards claim that when they gave the prize to a instrumental piece called River to Sea occurred to them that had anything to do with the Middle East conflict. It just was rivet to see. It could have meant anything, could have maybe. But then, of course when the recipient got up to speak in colors appropriating Palestine and then gave that speech, the organizers could have put a stop to it at any point. They didn't, And so the Lord Mayor is saying, why should ratepayers be putting money towards this.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm a free speech absolutist, as everybody knows, you can't have free speech without hate speech and vice versa. So which is it? What do you want? I want free speech? But what comes with that? Is you are not exempt from the consequences of what you say. My problem with the mayor coming down on this in the way that he has by withdrawing twenty five thousand dollars of funding, is that it doesn't punish the woman speaking on stage just then.
Speaker 1: Punishment enough.
Speaker 5: It punished polish music who run these awards. It punishes the award recipients in years to come, et cetera, and so on. So I just don't know a public condemnation. Sure, again, his freedom of.
Speaker 6: Speech, it isn't that the whole point. They're not saying you don't have the right to say these things. They're saying that we are not going to use rate payer money or taxpayer public money to pay for an organization that platforms these things.
Speaker 1: Or is so incredibly.
Speaker 6: Stupid that when they see the title of a piece called river to say.
Speaker 1: They thought it was elvisco Loco river flow.
Speaker 6: They must have been seeing they when's they going to get to the bridge, when's it going to get to the bridge?
Speaker 5: They do argue that they had like over five hundred entries and therefore, and given this had no lyrics, there was no song accompanying it, which.
Speaker 1: Is ironic for someone who apparently has so much to say.
Speaker 5: It's up to everyone as to whether they're being disingenuous and they're actually is political activists on the Q Music board who were actually like, not wink wink, we knew exactly what we were doing. But of course this became abundantly clear when the woman got up to wearing what she wore and gave the speech that she gave. It would have been prudent since you're claiming you had no idea, if that's true, to then issue some sort of we are deeply apologetic, and the fact that they didn't is very I don't want to say telling, because I'm not accusing anyone of anything. That's their story. It's up to you whether you believe them or not. Who was the panel who was listening to these, who were the judges who made the decisions on who were the winners, They may well be a political actor.
Speaker 2: Rather than apologizing, the CEO of Q Music, Chris Stewart, said that there had been some learnings learning from what happened, and that they would provide members with an update on changes for next year's awards, not exactly the sort of apology that might have warded off the I.
Speaker 6: Just want to know that, like, just imagine if it was I always just imagine if it was anything on the other side of politics, and how different than like imagine if someone had got up and said, thank you very much, I'm.
Speaker 1: Very proud to win this award. From the River to the Sea.
Speaker 6: It's actually about how Australia's multicultural experiment has failed and foreigner should go back.
Speaker 1: To where they came from. Thank you very much, Queenslid Music Awards. It has been a wonderful image.
Speaker 6: If someone said, and I'd just like to say that those dirty fascists in Ukraine really got what they deserved when Vladimir Putin taught them a lesson in history, and like imagine if like it's just always the same, like this is why it's just such a cause to jo and I have huge amount of sympathy for the suffering that's the Tattani and Palestine, and I have a huge amount Obviously I fully believe in Israel's right to exist, but I also believe in it solution. I don't want anyone wiped out From the River to the Sea, but it is just always this one issue that and so when people say it's worthy to So why are you fixated on this to the exclusion of everything else. Why aren't there people getting up and talking about Ukraine. Why aren't they talking about the whoties in Yemen? Why aren't they talking about you know?
Speaker 2: And I should point out, which I didn't at the opening, that the speech that this musician gave wasn't just about the conflict now occurring. Accused Israel hasn't admitted genocide since nineteen forty.
Speaker 6: This was the other really weird thing, right, I'm going to get my geek on here, right, So she said, you know, seventy six years and five hundred and thirty five days. Anyone picking up on this, it's actually seventy seven years and one hundred and seventy days, right, So why did she say five hundred Why did you say five hundred and thirty five days and plus seventy six years. Well, of course she's talking about October seven, twenty twenty three, And so again this fixation with one like you're picking the actual date of the terror attack to say, oh, no, this is when everything changed. Yeah, when I mus kill them kidnapped the worst number of people since the Holocaust.
Speaker 1: So what is wrong with these.
Speaker 2: People just The state government also contributes about half a million dollars to queue music and they have said that they will be looking for answers from organizers or they consider what they will do about their fundings.
Speaker 5: To another story that will curl the hair and curdle the blood. New South Wales Attorney General Michael Daily has told victims of domestic abuse, including children, to take appropriate measures to keep themselves safe while they figure out what the heck is going on with a massive data breach they discovered last week which compromised sensitive court documents involving nine thousand different court documents involving pretty much as many people right here. He is talking today about this breach, saying, to be honest, we don't know what's going on with it.
Speaker 4: Last week, while the cyber unit within DCJ was doing a routine maintenance HANSE security check of the Justice Link system, they detected that some data within that system had changed. Upon further examination they had they worked out that an account holder within the Justice Link system had gained an unlawful entry into that system. What we don't know yet is which files were actually accessed, what the hackett did with them, whether he or she just viewed them or downloaded and shared them.
Speaker 5: In summary, we know nothing, We know nothing. So if you think you might be one of these people and you and your children are compromised, please get in touch with the police and let us know if perhaps you've heard from some one and you are under the impression that you are amongst this number. The apprehended violence orders in AffA David were included in the breach, and most alarmingly, just the fact that kids are included in this just absolutely makes my blood run cold. How does this kind of thing happen when we are told in GNAUS and from the government, aren't we Oh, your data is safe with us, your data court documents. It doesn't get much more private when we're talking about vulnerable people in the community that have already survived the worst of the worst, and now you're telling them or just take precautions because we don't know where this information, highly sensitive as it is, has gone intentions.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't a hacker, was it inside job interested?
Speaker 6: He had an account, a DCJ account, so it sounds like someone who actually worked there or someone who is using the account of someone who worked there. Obviously, I mean, that's in the AG's exact mount So look, I suspect it doesn't. Actually, I don't think it was actually a giant sort of fishing expedition where a hack has come in from outside to try to just trawl through as much information as they can and then sell it on the black market or whatever. It sounds like someone who was actually working at the DCJ, or at least had access to a DCJ account, was going in there for it would seem purposes, by a particular purpose, that's right, and it's just that's that's what I found the most creepy about this story.
Speaker 2: None of it's funny, but I did have to laugh when the Attorney General said, and I quote, the government's taking this seriously because this is a system that stores public data securely.
Speaker 1: He's using the wrong tension.
Speaker 2: The part of that that is strange to me is this data hack apparently was last week, was reported to police on Tuesday, they closed the account on Wednesday, and now they're say going to be another week before they know what has really gone on and what information and who's been affected.
Speaker 3: So anyway, before we get to the break, if you've got.
Speaker 2: An Apple phone like me, you probably use Apple Maps or look at the weather on your Apple device. Well, Apple have been spending the last four years updating their maps so that they can include indigenous place names alongside all the regular place names. And when you check the weather, you don't have to look for Australia or for Sydney or for Melbourne. You can just use the indigenous name and it will come up for you. There you can see an example on the screen. It's an interesting development by Apple that you don't get a choice whether or not your Apple Maps includes this information.
Speaker 3: It's just going to be there from now on. I would have.
Speaker 2: Thought Apple Maps are clogged up enough with names without doubling it. But the majority of Australians voted in the referendum not to have divisions, and they've got a corporation and a foreign owned one that forcing division upon us. Customers value functionality over a lecture on cultural appreciation. As I said, maps are already cluttered. You're just trying to get from A to B without being given all of this other thing.
Speaker 1: I have an Indigenous term for those letters, please James, and.
Speaker 3: On top of that, Joe.
Speaker 2: You know, sixty percent of place names in Australia are already indigenous names or anglicized versions of Indigenous names.
Speaker 3: Do we really need this? And yeah, purpose.
Speaker 6: I don't think we do need it strikes me. I mean, of course, like I think it's one of those things. If people want to use those names or have the dual names.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 6: I have no problem with it really whatsoever, except for the fact that, like I say, it's really cluttered. I'm old and so I've got weird by by focal vision as it is in some kinds, I'm one of those old people who's constantly going, oh, so it's hard.
Speaker 1: Enough for me to make out, well, this.
Speaker 6: Is a ags, is what it is. But it's like I just again, it just does seem to be a bit of an answer to a question that nobody asked, Like what is there outcry about this? I'm all for, you know, creating new place names. I grew up in a place called dan Andong. It's indigenous name, you know. The biggest the biggest development in Sydney recently was called Braangaroo and all the stations have been given indigenous names. Do we really need like, like, I mean, we're kind of doing that.
Speaker 1: This seems to me just showing apples, showing up.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, we might be a multi billion dollar company that won't hand over information about trolls and abusers, but we're really hip.
Speaker 3: What do you think lives real quick?
Speaker 5: The short end is no, of course, it's completely unnecessary. Of course, it's only going to confuse people. You mean to tell me, you're driving around and the names that you're seeing on the maps aren't reflecting those on the on the street signs and where where you're actually trying to get to. It's incredibly confusing. We saw airports do this, We saw some mainstream media channels do it, on their their weather channels doing it. Indeed, everyone's just sat there going, I don't even know where you're talking about right now.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to go to a break when we come back, but look at what's making news tomorrow, including New South Wales barristers being trained in trans issues.
Speaker 3: That's coming up in mister c.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. As you can imagine, most of the newspapers going with the dual political story of whether or not Albanezi will call an election, and of course reporting on Peter Dutton's budget reply speech.
Speaker 6: Joe, that's correct, James. I thought we'd do a bit of a whip around, go around the ground, see how each of the outlets are covering it. And I thought, why not start with the big gun. Let's pull out the big dogs straight away. The Canberra Times and Amazing spish who spoiler alert is of course a reference to the fact that the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet appears to have already said that they're in caretaker mode and said federal election. PM hints at Paul as Dunton call as Deliver's budget reply. But this it was the first sentence that really struck me, James and Liz. This is why I'm never quite sure what's going on at the Camera Times anyway. It says Prime Minister Anthony Albanesi is poised to call the federal election today, with May three the expected date according to reports.
Speaker 3: That is a little confused. That is a report expected.
Speaker 1: You have a report of calling the.
Speaker 6: Report so you say, according to other newspapers that know what's going on, that's what they reckoned.
Speaker 1: This day will turns to make what are you doing?
Speaker 5: Newspaper and camera.
Speaker 6: Anyway, over to a real newspaper now the Daily Telegraph. He says, a nation pleads with its combatants inspire US marginal voters holding all power. Well, yeap that I can fact check that that's correct. And Dunton's new bid to keep the lights on It says, after months of delays, speculation and unofficial election campaigning, Anthony Albanesi is today expected to end the phony war, visit the Governor general and call a May three election comma. According to reports.
Speaker 1: No, they didn't do that so because they just reported right for their newspaper. They knew their reporting.
Speaker 6: They don't say what other people just reported anyway. Just not a criticism, just a for next time anyway, Harold Son. Of course, the other big news court Mark said race to the polls, Victoria the key battleground. Yes, I can fact check that that is correct as well as PM finally set to pull election trigger big v for victory, and they've used the old VFL font V, which I think is very patriotic.
Speaker 1: This is what victorians call loving Victoria everything.
Speaker 3: Joy will understand that's a reference to AFL.
Speaker 6: That's right, AFL when it was real footy, when it was the VFL for short.
Speaker 1: Sure how the daniong redlegs going these days? Are they still around?
Speaker 6: I'm not sure anyway, I'm going to stop now.
Speaker 3: I was sure if you've finished or not, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I never am, you know, I never am.
Speaker 6: All I know is I just disappear and the screen fades to black. Sometimes it's just a test pattern, and then I know I'm done.
Speaker 3: Let's keep going.
Speaker 2: We'll move on to the Adelaide Advertiser. He was a snorty boy, reads the headline from deep fake to deep doo doo. David Spears, who of course was a former Liberal opposition leader, pleads guilty to supplying drugs. David Spears has admitted he was supplying drugs while he was the leader of the opposition, and the disgraced XMP is now facing up to ten years in jail and a hefty fine. David Spears pleaded guilty to supplying a controlled drug to two other people during his final days as Opposition leader in August.
Speaker 3: Now, all of this came to.
Speaker 2: The four after an investigation by the Adelaide Advertiser. A lot of credit needs to go to the editor Jemma Jones, because the Advertiser did a great job investigating this. Of course, when the video you're now watching on screen was first brought to light by the advertiser, David Spears at the time that it was him insisted it.
Speaker 3: Was a deep fake video.
Speaker 2: The advertiser kept digging and eventually, of course it's led to charges and now a guilty plea, Liz.
Speaker 5: I mean to try. Do these people not realize nowadays we have the technology to find out quite quickly whether a video is deep faith. They can run forensics in the technical world on a video and be like, yeah, this has been doctored, this isn't real, And of course it's only going to take the police, which, like you say, thanks to the brilliant work by the TiSER, the police then got onto it and did due diligence. Of course they're going to find out in a few seconds flat there's nothing deep fake about this footage.
Speaker 6: Yet again, it's not the crime but the cover up that gets it. Although it could be fair, the crime probably would have got him anyway.
Speaker 5: Now it's worth.
Speaker 1: It's just ridiculous. You come out, you say, look, I'm terribly sorry. Personal reason had a lot of health is shirt.
Speaker 6: You know, my dog died last week, whatever, whatever, I'm stepping down for the good party and away you go.
Speaker 1: I'll fight this to the end. How could you even insinuate that I would ever do that. But on a personal level, I have to.
Speaker 6: On a human level, I do feel very very sorry for what's happened to David Spears. In my opinion, he should never have left Sky and gone to the ABC because this is.
Speaker 3: What happened the other day.
Speaker 6: That's the other David Spears, Adelaide Radio and the present.
Speaker 5: Yes that's a defamation.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love it. Spears, he's a great guy. Oh my goodness. Now now this is when it goes to black to the Australian.
Speaker 5: Now the biggest splash reads energy price election. This is something we didn't quite get to in segue. Peter Dutton will impose an East Coast Gas Reserve reservation rather regime to secure up to twenty percent of demand and drive down energy prices by decoupling local gas from overseas markets, amid election eve warnings that Australia's biggest states will face gash for shals shortfalls by July. Just an absolute common sense move, Thank you, Darton. Hats off for that one. But to the story that we alluded to earlier of barristers getting trans lessons. Tell me more, you say, well, I will. New South Wales barristers have been instructed to never assume the gender identity of people interacting with the court system and are being encouraged to quote start the conversation, end quote about preferred pronouns with a witness or client in case they feel intimidated to do so themselves. The article goes on to say three state judges and Sex Discrimination Commissioner and A Cody last month launched the New South Wales Bar Associations LGBTIQA plus Language and Pronouns Guide, which educates barristers on the importance of addressing stakeholders by appropriate pronouns, and the document even provides a glossary of pronouns. I'd love to know how fat that glossary is, because, as you and I both know, it's getting a little bit out of hand, like this should be a remote concern of people just trying to do their job, either a defense or prosecution. This is something that you have to be no, no.
Speaker 6: This has actually got a huge amount of support among barristers and the legal fraternity. In fact, barristers have been lining up to say yes, they would really love to start the conversation about these issues, although that conversation will be billed at seven hundred and fifty dollars per six right right as they go on, so it will be an expensive conversation.
Speaker 1: But a very inclusive.
Speaker 2: Conversation with this, of course, is if you're in a court of lord, I would have thought truth, yes, really really important.
Speaker 1: And what court have you ever been.
Speaker 5: Last?
Speaker 2: Anyone's worrying about you, my dreams, but you're expecting truth to be the primary issue here, and they begin the court case by clearly asking for pronouns from someone who's obviously a man or a woman.
Speaker 3: And anyway, we're going to.
Speaker 2: Go to a break when we come back. The Paris Games featured breakdancing. Reygun became famous as a result of that. But wait, did you hear what LA is planning for the twenty twenty eight Games that's coming up in.
Speaker 3: Just a moment.
Speaker 2: Well, the Olympic Games is meant to be the pinnacle of human achievement as we watch athletes push their bodies to the limits in search of glory. But over the years, I've tried to make it a bit more interesting and appeal to the masses. Back in nineteen hundred the Olympic Games, they featured some novelty sports, including horse long jump and live pigeon shooting. Cand you I mentione them doing live pigeon that would be really fascinating.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know pigeons could shoot. I thought they lacked deposable thumbs.
Speaker 2: Of course, at the Paris Games we had raygun become famous when they had breakdancing at the Olympic Games.
Speaker 3: Who will ever forget that?
Speaker 2: I think we've got some images here of raygun pushing body to the limit.
Speaker 3: They're in search of.
Speaker 1: Gold, also lack deposable thumbs.
Speaker 2: Not to be outdone, the Los Angeles Games planned for twenty twenty eight have decided they will have a novelty sport as well, and so they are going to introduce a Ninja Warrior course for athletes around the world.
Speaker 3: Have a look at what they're planning here.
Speaker 2: We've got some vision of how athletes will compete at the LA Games. There'll be monkey bars, they'll jump over bars. It's not that much different to gymnastics, except it's more for the common man who wants to feature on a commercial TV reality program much like Ninja Warrior is. I don't know if this is going to take up at the Olympic Games take off.
Speaker 5: This looks like one of those Maine shows that they used to play where it was like this giant gymnasium and they had to like run through these things sticking out of the water, swing by the rope climbs.
Speaker 3: Warrior, it's a jungle gym, it's an obstacle course.
Speaker 1: It's like Ninja Warrior.
Speaker 5: Que.
Speaker 6: No, that's cultural appropriation though, isn't it. I mean, does you know did the Tokyo Olympics put on you know, drive by Shooting Warrior to pay tribute to steal Los Angeles culture?
Speaker 5: Before we leave you tonight, Australians, what are we doing? New streaming platform Max has gathered data last month that shows Assie's spend forty two minutes on average a day on streaming platform platforms just deciding what to watch. This means eleven days of our year we're spending just scrolling and for forty two minutes of a day, you could have watched an episode of your show by then, but you've wasted it scrolling. I can't relate to this whatsoever. When I turn the TV on, I know exactly what platform I'm going to and I know exactly what I'm watching.
Speaker 1: Who are these?
Speaker 2: You write down your list of shows from me so I can save myself for eleven days every year because I waste so much time going.
Speaker 5: I would love that required watching or just you know, recommended watching by Lizabe.
Speaker 2: That's it from us sticking around. Coming up is the Rita penaheeshow, have a great weekend.