Speaker 1: Oh, good morning, Patrick, Good morning, Tiffany.
Speaker 2: Good morning everyone.
Speaker 1: I'd see neither of you.
Speaker 3: Knew who to talk because Patrick wanted to be a gentleman, and so there was this awkward moment.
Speaker 4: Hi Patrick, Hi Crago, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm very good.
Speaker 3: I probably should have started with one of you, not both of you, because right out of the gate it was fucking terrible.
Speaker 1: But we can only get better from here, I guess hopefully.
Speaker 3: How is the International Space Station where we see you perched up there?
Speaker 5: Well, my primary camera isn't working and I'm using the camera off my laptop, so it's just a backdrop.
Speaker 4: But you can see the.
Speaker 5: Edges of it, so it doesn't work at all, and it's totally faked.
Speaker 4: And you can even see m a drink bottle that's not floating, is it? So?
Speaker 5: If I was on the International Space Station my drink bottle and Schnauzer, it should be floating.
Speaker 1: Schnauzer are euphemism for something else?
Speaker 5: Or do you actually have it's my dog sitting next to me, just Jackie, have you.
Speaker 1: Ever heard have you ever heard that?
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, it's worth doing a search on both of you. Dame Edna when she's talking about grooming er Schnauzer.
Speaker 4: It's very very Oh my god, oh you will wet yourself listeners.
Speaker 3: I think she's talking to David Parkinson tips writing it down, so yeah, and she's talking about it is and the people on the couch. Do you remember when do you remember when she would be on talkback show or talk chat shows and there'd be all these international guests who did not know really who she was or how to.
Speaker 1: Deal with her, especially Americans.
Speaker 3: Oh god, it's the funniest anyway, Patrick has a real schnauzer, which is not a euphemism for somebody part.
Speaker 1: There's also a.
Speaker 5: Funny interview with Norman Gunston room a Norman Gunston. Yeah, yeah, this interview with someone really famous, and then right at the end of the interview, he said, so how about an autograph? And the person's kind of looked at him and looked at him and said, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess so, and he said who should I make it out to?
Speaker 1: It was pretty funny. He's still a lot that Gary McDonald is his name.
Speaker 3: Isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think one of the best creative pieces of television he ever did was Mother and Son, where he was living with his mother who had dementia, and it was a comedy, but tackled it so amazingly.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: He was a very very big talent. I don't know. I think he's still around.
Speaker 3: I think so he's a little bit pre You probably know of him too, but you probably haven't seen a lot of him, am I right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that go with that funny comb over here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he always used to have a bit of like a shaving cut with a bit of tissue paper.
Speaker 4: Toilet paper. It was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So we'd have all these multiple shaving cuts and you just dabbed a bit of toilet paper, which is actually something.
Speaker 4: That you do when you're shaving.
Speaker 5: You have a shaving cut and you've got a little nick and you put a bit of toilet paper on, but you don't walk out the house with it on.
Speaker 4: Have you ever done that, Craig, when you've had a shave? Have you ever?
Speaker 3: I don't shave with a razor too much. I just like I just have a permanent stubble, But yeah, I have. I definitely in the old days when I used to be close shaving and trying to look like a grown up, especially when I first started and I was fucking lacerating my face on a daily basis.
Speaker 4: I was terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with the shaving skills of a gorilla.
Speaker 1: I had no idea what I was doing.
Speaker 4: You had to shave. I know it's supposed to be talking about tech, but.
Speaker 1: Matter honestly what we talk about.
Speaker 3: My old man did teach me to shave once, I think, and back in those days, back in those days, just after Jesus passed away, it was wasn't a cut throat raisor well do you remember those blades. It was like a raizor blade and you would click it onto the top of a shaver and then like tighten it down.
Speaker 4: It was kind of wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like, yeah, it's like a like a convex kind of Yeah. It was actually a blade that you would stand alone blade that would get clicked into this shaver.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Those things were fucking lethal.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and now you can buy the the disposable ones with about twenty seven blades.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: If you do you use a razor or do you like not a not a much?
Speaker 2: In these days, I just let it. I'll just go.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, the girls wax or shave their legs.
Speaker 1: Or whatever that or I mean, obviously I don't need to do either, but.
Speaker 6: Wax, but I shaved sometimes in between because it's annoying, because you get a good week of.
Speaker 1: Silk sha in between. Look at Patrick between my stows.
Speaker 6: Fritz actually know I wax because you managed to ring spontaneously every time I'm laying on the wax table.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right with your waxing lady, What would you do? What would you do if you went in and was a waxing dude? Would you turn around and walk out?
Speaker 1: And it sounds like.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, get a tiffed on as busy today, just go in and make yourself comfortable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look I'd probably I'd probably just go get coffee instead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd say, look now, I'm good, thanks Sea, I'd be too. Could you imagine Patrick at at at our ages with never having had bald legs being there are a lot of fucking bald male legs in Hampton, I'll give you the tip. Fucking I'm the exception not having bored legs. There's a lot of mammals, a lot of mammals in Hampton. But yeah, I reckon, it would be like stage nine pain if I got my legs waxed.
Speaker 2: It's worse.
Speaker 6: It's worse when you shave in between waxes. Might I had it?
Speaker 2: It's more then.
Speaker 6: I don't know why, but yeah, so you pay, you pay for it. You either get to have hairy leagues for a bit before the wax.
Speaker 2: Or you get more pain.
Speaker 1: Really, it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Thing about being a chick is.
Speaker 3: The alleged reason that men's cyclists get wax. Shout out to all our male cyclist listeners. It's is it meant to be if they fall and they get cut that it's like it's easier to treat and clean or something.
Speaker 2: I think so because yeah?
Speaker 1: Or is it lower the drag coefficient?
Speaker 4: Patrick, I don't know. I thought it was. I think had nothing to do with falling. What would you plan to fall down?
Speaker 1: Well, they're not planning to, but they do get a few scrapes, and I don't know. Maybe you can find I know.
Speaker 3: Seeing as you're here, let's do an episode and talk about science and technology and.
Speaker 4: Why aren't you okay?
Speaker 5: So cyclists shave their legs for a variety of reasons, including comfort, hygiene, and to reduce friction. And it can prevent infection and speed up healing after it?
Speaker 4: Reason?
Speaker 3: Could you imagine, like anyone who thinks they're that fucking good, that seventeen hairs on.
Speaker 1: Their legs are going to slow them down a little bit?
Speaker 3: Like you're not in the Olympics, champ, relax, You're just cruising down Beach Road.
Speaker 1: Oh come on, come on, bacon muffin.
Speaker 3: Yeah for an egg of bacon muffin and a coffee at the Hamptons.
Speaker 1: Just chill out shaving your legs.
Speaker 5: Do you feel somewhat threatened though, when twenty blokes Incras suddenly walk into your cafe. You're sitting there with your latte and I need.
Speaker 3: To be careful because twenty is a lot of men. But no, I don't, not one bit, do you know what I do? All jokes aside, I actually really like those guys doing that, and I know that they can be Some people think that they can be annoying when they're swarming down Beach Road and the roads around Melbourne.
Speaker 1: But I do like it that it's just a bunch of men doing shit together.
Speaker 3: And I like when I see them all well at the cafe I go to anyway, and like it's good camaraderie and it's I think because women generally connect better just to see men that are out and about and doing something that's healthy and something that's exercise based, and you know, so there's like a physical and a health and a social component. I do make fun of them, but I actually think it's good. You've never really been a cyclist, Patrick, have you been out?
Speaker 5: Not certainly not the Licra brigade. But when I was living in Geelong i first moved out of home. I've always been one of those people who doesn't do anything formal and just decides to do something. So I decided one day that I would start bike riding, and I just would ride for an hour and a half every morning. Just one would be a beach ride and the other one would be along the river. And I just did because I enjoyed being outdoors and loved being out in nature. And the other thing I used to do was a before school I'd go for a swim. I'd ride to the local pool and swim a kilometer and then go to school and then in the swimming tryout. Because I didn't tell anybody I did it. I just did it because I liked doing it. And then when they had the swimming tryout. So I deliberately swam slowly because I was the nerd that did no sport. And then when we had the school com by one eyace, I was in.
Speaker 3: You won every race because, oh, because you deliberately slept slowly. So why did you swim? Oh because if you swim slowly, you'd get put into an easier group.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the what.
Speaker 5: I didn't win anything at sport, and I didn't want to do sport, and then I thought, well, if I'm going to be forced to do this, and unbeknownst to everyone, I swam every morning.
Speaker 1: You were you a skinny teenager?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I was. I was pretty lanky and skinny. I had nothing on my chicken leave. Yeah, I was kind of averdgie. I gotta know.
Speaker 5: You know, it's funny you asked those questions. I don't you know. This is an interesting one, And I do relate this to to tech In terms of social media. I think body image for young people now, because of TikTok and because of what they see on socials, has totally changed the way that young people see themselves and their bodies.
Speaker 4: Particularly for me, Did I have abs?
Speaker 5: I don't remember, did I have was I You know, I didn't even care what I looked like at that age. I don't think that my body image and my sense of self was so focused on whether I had a good physique.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just was an average kid.
Speaker 5: But these days, and when I talked to young people, I know, there's a real sense of what they look like. You know, yesterday Crago and I had breakfast together and a young friend of mine, Chris, who's the son of one of my best friends, he came along and met up with us. Now he's fifteen and he's hitting the gym now, and it was an interesting conversation, wasn't it, Craigo. But I think, and I know, his older brother was very, very focused on how he looked and was hitting the gym. And at one point, I think Chris was about twelve, And I know he won't mind me telling the story. He was suddenly wanted to do push ups so he could get abs like his big brother. You know, he wanted to have the rippled abs and all that sort of stuff. And I think when you see that, and when you see all these people with amazing bodies on social media, it's hard for kids not to think, oh, I want to be like that. I need to look like that to be attractive to the other sex or to somebody else. And I think that there's a real pressure on young people to look a certain way because this is the perfect look, whereas I had no sense of that.
Speaker 4: I had zero sense of that when I was growing up as a kid.
Speaker 5: I don't know, Tiff, when you were growing up, did you feel you had to aspire to look like something?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 2: I did, breathink to the degree of today. I think it was just you just want to be skinny all the time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But there wasn't the range of different, you know, options that people have these days of looks and what to do and whether you're skinny or strong, or got abs or a big booty or you know, there's so much pressure for different looks.
Speaker 5: I don't even go there with the big booty thing, you know, the nash and stuff. That just blows my mind, like what the hell? But that's totally social media driven, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've never seen more teenagers in the gym like growing up Like me, From when I started training to really about six or seven years ago, there were hardly ever teenagers in the gym lifting weights, and now between four and seven it's predominantly young people. Between I would think sixteen and twenty like huge, huge.
Speaker 6: Really Yeah, I alvious think the use of filters and all the photos you put up of yourself. Now you create this image online these days and it's all filtered, and then you're not that person. Yeah, there's the personality you put forward, but there's also the literal photos that you put the best one and you put a filter on it, and then you actually don't look.
Speaker 2: Like that at all.
Speaker 6: I wonder how that affects how people walk out into the world.
Speaker 5: Well, I know for a show host of a very popular podcast that's a daily podcast, he actually approached me and said, when he was taking pictures of himself on his phone, it didn't look like what he looked like on zoom and there was a real mental disconnec between what he was seeing himself when he was virtually looking at.
Speaker 4: Himself on his podcast, as to there.
Speaker 5: Was something wrong with his phone because his phone wasn't showing him the.
Speaker 4: Way he thought he should look. Like, Yeah, do you remember that episode Tiff?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you too? Shut up? I'm well aware.
Speaker 3: I'm well aware of what my very fucking average head looks like. I'm not pretty like you two, So you can both fuck off, right, I know exactly what I'm working with. There's no Brad Pitt delusions over here. But what to your point though, Tiff? And you fuck with.
Speaker 1: Hi? Do you know if I was, I think about dating sites?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: You know how people put up?
Speaker 3: Firstly, the photo they put up is generally eight years old or ten years old.
Speaker 1: And it's the best photo that was ever taken of them eight years ago.
Speaker 3: And then, like you know how you say undersell over deliver, I feel like that's the opposite I would be putting up.
Speaker 1: I reckon, I'd put up a real average photo.
Speaker 3: And then if someone turns up, at the very least, they're not going to be disappointed.
Speaker 1: They may even be slightly happy about it. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Where you go, look, I've got a fuck an average head. I'm not a lot to look at, So you know it, like, why would you? Because people are going to be disappointed? How many women have I heard tell me stories about that, or I've heard them talking in social media where they turn up on an online date and then the dude's twenty kilos heavier than the photo ten kilos sorry ten years older?
Speaker 1: Why would you do that?
Speaker 4: So I've got two things.
Speaker 5: We should set up a social media platform where you know, when people get kidnapped.
Speaker 4: They have to hold up the day's paper the dates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I like where this is gone?
Speaker 1: Keep going?
Speaker 5: So that's so yeah. So what you do is you're forced to no pictures on your profile of more than a month old. So you've got to take a photo of yourself at the newspaper. Although people can photoshop these days, but still, but it's a thought.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's a good idea.
Speaker 5: That way, we could call it that what's gone.
Speaker 3: You've got to take a photo every morning on your iPhone when you're having a shit, right, no makeup, here's me back in one out.
Speaker 1: At six point thirty two. You're welcome, and then just post that.
Speaker 3: And then if anyone's interested in you, you know they're serious.
Speaker 5: Then again, I guess it depends on the dating site you're going on, because there are some dating sites where you say no the face pic.
Speaker 1: Ah hatual.
Speaker 3: Tell me something about technology, please, for God's sake, just open the tech door. I feel like we've got thirty minutes to go, and people are like, could you start the show?
Speaker 1: Could you? What have Microsoft been doing that's pissing people off? Patrick, I'm going to tell you.
Speaker 5: But yeah, So Microsoft launched their co pilot, which is great, and what they did was they sneakily, and I kin'd of, yeah, look, I'm going to say sneakily, I'm putting it out there. The trillion dollar company and me upscrew. Now Microsoft sneakily up to all of their subscription numbers by between thirty and forty percent. So suddenly people are paying upwards of forty percent more for their subscription because they're now bundling in AI. And what a lot of people don't realize is that you do have the option to not have the AI version and drop back to the cheapest subscriptions. But I did some sums on this, and I was thinking to myself, well, you know, Microsoft have a lot of people subscribed. I mean, we're talking a ton of people. So if they've got eighty four million subscribers and they bump up the price by forty dollars, that's three point three billion dollars they've just put into their skyrocket. So it's a lot of money, So there's a real cash in set and obviously developing AI is an expensive process. But the A Triple C, which of course is our consumer watchdog here in Australia, has now gone in because there are people who've complained and said you can't just arbitrarily jump up the price to that degree without consulting people. And I guess the question is go into your subscription and go and opt out. If you just want to use word and outlook, you know, and Excel spreadsheets, but you don't want the AI component built in. Given that there's a lot of free AI software out there, then you can reduce your bill drastically.
Speaker 4: So look at your bill. Has it just jumped up?
Speaker 5: It may be that you've been bumped up to the next subscription level without knowing.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's to me, I mean, how is that even legal? Like to me, I don't how can you that? That is deceptive? It's sneaky.
Speaker 4: It's does feel like that, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like how can you how can you charge people more without informing them that you're doing that or asking them, as you said.
Speaker 1: This is what we want to do. Are you in or out?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And that's what appears to have happened, and so that the ariple C is looking into it after a whole heap of complaints from people.
Speaker 3: So there's there's an ever expanding option list of AI, patrick, isn't there. I mean it feels like there, you know, we had chat GPT three and then four and then four point oh.
Speaker 1: I think it's called and five's coming out soon. And I use.
Speaker 3: Another one called Claude, which is more academically focused, in a little bit more technical writing. But it seems like that there's just going to be an ocean of these things where it's going to be just integrated with everything.
Speaker 4: Look, even if you.
Speaker 5: Use WhatsApp as a chat service, there's now a little colored circle in the corner where you've got AI built into that and you can just start asking questions directly into WhatsApp, you know. So there's so many options if you want to use it, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and it can be really handy, as you.
Speaker 5: Know, and I know that we've discussed this on many times on many shows, and there's lots of really great, you know, streamline ways that you can use it to help summarize an article, summarize information. But the concern about it is that now more people are actually asking generative AI questions about their health, but some of the answers may not be right. And this is the real concern is depending on the model that it was built on, it.
Speaker 4: Doesn't necesscessarily mean it's updating constantly.
Speaker 5: So you build the AI on on a model and it's amount of data, and it may have scraped the Internet, it may have got it from different sources, but then it's sitting there with this model and if you ask a question, it may not be as accurate as you think. And the concern is that more and more people are going to AI. You know when people say, oh, I googled it, so yes, now I have got hamorrhagic fever, so you go to doctor Google. Well, it's got one step further where people are now relying on AI for health outcomes and using AI and asking them questions about their health, but they potentially are getting the wrong answers. So and this is a worry because it's actually being used by doctors as well. So you know, doctors are under pressure, and I know my doc. I've sat down next to my doctor where he's googled stuff.
Speaker 4: Have you does that.
Speaker 5: Gets you nervous when you sit next to your GP and you start talking and he starts googling.
Speaker 3: Yet, well, I think, like I reckon the other side of this, Devil's Advocate is this, how much stuff can your doctor who qualified thirty years ago know and remember and understand about all potential health nutritional, medical like if you've got and you're exactly right. The internet gets things wrong, but so to humans. The third biggest lead, the third leading cause of death in America is medical mistakes.
Speaker 1: So mistakes by humans.
Speaker 3: So to assume that a doctor will know more than all of the information available, and I'm not saying they do or they don't. I'm just saying I think there's an intelligent way, and I think real humans should be at the forefront of all diagnoses and treatment, like doctors and surgeons and all the relevant people and nurses of course, But I also think that you know, if all of a sudden you can draw on all of the information that's about in the world about specific conditions, at the very least, it's a handy tool to use without being dependent on it. I think there's going to be an integration of humanity and technology when it comes to managing and treating health and medical conditions.
Speaker 5: I think one of little survey that was done last year looked at around about two thousand Australians and quiz them on whether they were using generative AI chat JAPT to find out health related queries, and it was quite high. But what it found also is that people with who were actually low associo economically, so maybe people who could less afford to go to a doctor were actually playing on that data to try to get questions answered about their health. So there seemed to be a correlation between people who had less money and were maybe relying on what they perceive ai'd be smart enough that they can get health outcomes, and that's that's I think that's what the concern was that because this was a national kind of study into you know a bit of research that was done, and it just felt that people felt they trusted AI more than they would just a standard Google search. I mean, when I look up something in Google, I then go to the is it the Mayo Clinic or one of the health sites, or I look for a government website. You know, you always look for the dot gov extension to make sure the health information that you've got is a legitimate website. So I think for me personally, you know, it's like going to a banking web. So I remember when you used to look for the padlock in the top left hand corner, so it had a little what they called an SSL certificate, and that tis shaking her head, so we o me too.
Speaker 1: Shake your mind.
Speaker 5: Okay, So there's a little padlock that sits in the browser to say that it's a secure connection between you, and if you're filling out a form or whatever, it's encrypted when you send it through, so no one else can intercept the information that you're sending through. Say yeah, but in this case, in this case, it seems that yeah, people are trusting AI a lot more. And so and those people from like a non English speaking country who you know, initially spoken other language, they have a more likely to ask those sorts of questions because the language barrier is a real problem to communicating. So you know, again it may talk to the point of well, maybe they're actually having more success with their dialogue when they're using a machine that can translate and all that sort of stuff. So maybe it's about having those tools at a hand as well.
Speaker 4: It'd be tough, wouldn't it.
Speaker 5: If you go to a country where you can't speak the language in your native language, you can't express yourself very well, and you need to talk about a very sensitive medical issue. And you know, it could be young people who are embarrassed to go to the doctor and talk about things and think, well, maybe I'll just go in and use chat GPT to find out what is ailing me.
Speaker 3: Speaking of trust and lack of trust gen z or I would call them gen z, but I think that the kids call it gen z. Teens tell us why they stopped trusting experts in favor of influences on TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of peer pressure gone crazy, isn't it. You know, because all the sex education came from you know, Barry who was behind the bike shed telling you about all the facts of life.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that I'm not at my school behind the bike shed.
Speaker 3: No wonder you turned out the way you did. Now there's everything. The door is wide open. My understanding has been expanded. Behind the bike shed, your.
Speaker 1: Best book in and see someone's son.
Speaker 5: Kicks talk And didn't you look, I'm surely you know the first thing as you started learning about life, the universe and everything, from your mates, from kids at school. Well on a larger scale. Now young people are turning to TikTok and believing what's on there. So the younger people of gen Z, so we're talking teenagers, they listen and they believe because what the problem is that they equate a big following and popularity. Because the thing is, if you say something and it relates to a topic of interest to young people and then you get a massive following, the algorithm within TikTok will push that higher up. So it may be a radical view, it may be a farle right view, it may be a controversial view, but the reality of it is the algorithm doesn't care if it's true or not. So TikTok doesn't care what you say. It cares if it's going to get likes. It's cares if it's going to get follows, because it's a system that's designed to make the popular stuff float to the surface so that you're more likely to see it if it's been liked by more people. And it's not propagating quality. It's not the encyclo pretty Epedia Britannica. It's it's it's you know, a social media platform, that just wants to have more people watch it, and it wants to keep you there longer. And what I'm getting to I guess, is that younger people are not discerning between popularity and the quality of the information that's been disseminated.
Speaker 3: So it's not buried behind the bikeshed, is it? That's where you get your quality information? Like, were you kidding? People lie as well? What do you think you think you only get bad information on the internet? No, look at hell, no, Patrick, No, you get bad information everywhere.
Speaker 5: No, have a science you go to a science teacher. If you have a sex head teacher, you know, you go to your GP. If you've got a health related questions.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying maybe maybe yeah, maybe, I mean like there's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know what you're saying. I know what you're saying.
Speaker 3: But the fact that they would that would be their preferred kind of clinician over the top of an actual human Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, Because the thing is what it's saying is that experts are being dismissed because the stuff they're saying is inconvenient and not entertaining.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, so that's the key thing.
Speaker 5: So they will go so a gen z Agen z will go to an influencer before they go to an expert.
Speaker 4: So maybe it's financial advice.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's what should you let's invest in bitcoin for this particular platform, or what you know, or hide your money.
Speaker 4: Under your bed, under your pillow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'm with you. I see.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I need to be careful how I say this, but I see fitness influences. Yeah, the guy who's been in fitness for forty years, and I'm like, and I'll make got qual fight on Tuesday. And now he's telling everybody is you know the ins and outs of physiology, And I'm like, oh, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: But it's tough because like, on the one hand, I think, hey, well done you for doing this thing and building this brand and this following. But then the other part of me is like, yeah, but a lot of what you're saying is kind of bullshit though, So I know exactly what you're saying, and I think, like people who don't have much knowledge, which is me in some fields, like I'll listen to like I could watch some kind of thing on tech and I'd think this is awesome, and then I run it by you and you go No, that's actually crap, that's not real. And I don't even know because I don't know what I'm looking for. And then with other people, people come to me all the time or send me things all the time. Is this real? What do you think of this? I go that is not information. That is marketing. That is a person trying to sell you a thing. That's I think the thing is sometimes the gap between what is marketing what is advertising. You know, It's like, I guess the analogy would be on food products, where the front of the package is just all advertising and marketing and the actual legitimate quality information is in that tiny box on the back that's almost unreadable because the words are so small, and that, you know, that's the thing is like if they wanted you to know what was actually in that food, they would put the nutritional information splashed across the front in big letters, and they don't want you to. And I think that's what you're talking about here. It's trying to read through that and filter through that.
Speaker 5: Maybe yeah, well this this cereal will make you happier, you know, sugar.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And when they talked about experts, we're talking about doctors journalists. Because when you think of Okay, So when I was training as a journalist, we were taught to check our sources to make sure they were credible before we published anything. And there was a study done by Reuters, So Ruter is a very large news service back in twenty twenty, and they looked at things like TikTok and YouTube and all these social media platforms and gen Z teenagers relied on social media for advice to a higher degree than they did these experts. So what they're saying is I trust I trust the social media more than I trust a doctor, a journalist, a scientist. They dismissed them out of hand. So they're not people they would go to as the expert. They see the social media influencers as the expert and think about things like remember planking.
Speaker 4: There was that whole planking thing for.
Speaker 5: A while and people were visiting it and people falling off balconies to their death. You know, there are some trending stories, some trending things, and weren't people at one point eating dish washing tablets?
Speaker 4: Was that a thing for a while, Do you remember that there were? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's weird little things that people that seem to somehow gain some kind of momentum and curiosity.
Speaker 1: Do you know the difference between you and I.
Speaker 3: I'm just reading one of your titles here. Sorry to interrupt, but maybe we could go here. The heading is six things I had no idea Gemini could do Now. To you, Gemini is probably some computer thing. To me, Gemini is a car from the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 2: To me, it's a star sign.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to you, it's a star sign. And then I'm thinking, why is he talking about Geminis. I mean, they haven't been out for thirty years. And then I went no, I think in the back recesses of my bloody brain, I think that's something.
Speaker 1: What is Gemini?
Speaker 4: Well, it's an old car, and you can do burnouts in.
Speaker 5: New cars don't have because you know, if new cars now have a button for the break, you can't do you can't do the handbreakings.
Speaker 4: Do you know what a handbreaking is, don't you, Tiff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, put the handbrake on and.
Speaker 5: Yeah and breaking and turning the steering all at the same time, and you'd be able to do a three sixty with your car. I should admit to having done that as a kid behind the Royal Melbourne Zoological Gardens because they had this massive area of dirt track and we'd get out there and do handbreaking. So you did a handbreaking when you're a kid, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Craigo, No, no, I wouldn't know handbreaking is of course I grew up in the country.
Speaker 4: Of course with.
Speaker 1: Bogan. I've done videos on it.
Speaker 4: Okay, No.
Speaker 5: Gemini is Google's AI chatbot, right, Okay, so that's the Google chat bot.
Speaker 4: But the thing is there's some really awesome stuff that you can do.
Speaker 5: You can actually use your phone now, or you can scan and you can read handwriting in blurry text. You know, have you because a lot of young people don't even I mean if you went to a doctor. Imagine you gone to a doctor writes out a script or something or some advice and you look at it and you think there's a chicken just crawled across the page. Well, a lot of AI now can actually read that stuff, so you can take information. And some universities are using whole old, really old text that is so old that it's been blurred. We're talking hundreds of years old, and human beings like us struggled to be able to decipher that. And now AI is able to put it together. You know, it can look for patterns within the entire body of text. So when we look at something, we look at it in isolation. We try to read one line. But when AI looks at it, it looks at an entire fifty thousand word document, and it looks for symbols and the way that things were written, and then it can put the whole lot together. So that's the beauty of being able to look at it all at once, as opposed to us where we can kind of look at small all aspects and think that might be a littera or it might be a litter s and then how does that compare to all the rest of it.
Speaker 1: But that's where CHAT, GPT and.
Speaker 5: All these other AIS come to the fore, because they have this amazing processing power to be able to look at everything as a whole and then summarize it and bring it back to the base number or whatever it happens to be.
Speaker 3: So I hope, I hope we don't lose some of those cognitive skills and writing skills. And the other day I did I can't of remember whobert I was doing. I did a podcast with someone and I had some notes on the screen, just dot points that I was going to talk to them about. It might have been doctor Jeff Grosse, i''m not sure. But it wasn't one of these very informal, casual ones where we just talk about nothing in particular for an hour, right.
Speaker 1: It was like a proper conversation.
Speaker 3: And I at the end of it, I took I just cut and paste those notes, those dot points into chat GPT and said, I just did a podcast talking about this stuff. Can you write a show overview? And it's like, certainly, Craig, And it just cranked out like a nine out of ten blurb, which I actually used some of it. I mean, I could have just plugged it in, but it wasn't written like I write. But the actual thing was just ready to go. I'm like, this shit is this shit is really improving rapidly?
Speaker 5: Well, look at your say, one of your big documents. What's the biggest document that you've worked.
Speaker 4: On at the moment.
Speaker 5: I mean we're talking tens of thousands of words, aren't you, oh.
Speaker 3: For my research? Yeah yeah, yeah, yep, yeah, tens of thousands of words.
Speaker 5: You could potentially plug that into CHATCHPT or to Gemini and say can you spot any mistakes? So it might not it's not contextual, it's got nothing to do with the research itself, but it could be instances where auto correct used as Z instead of an S. I don't know about you, but I get so annoyed when auto correct does a Z and I don't want to use and spelling. But you could then scan an entire document of you, forty thousand words, and it would be able to go through it and clean up any errors that you may have made.
Speaker 4: And as a.
Speaker 5: Human being, how many times have you read something and thought, yeah, that looks fine, and you don't pick up on it because you've just read it so many times. And so they're little tools that like having your personal editor sitting next to you, that can go in there and make those changes.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: One of the things that I've seen a lot of, and sometimes this happens where a client sends us some information they want us to use for a social media post and you think that's actually AI generated.
Speaker 4: I don't know whether I want to use that.
Speaker 5: You know, we like to be creative in our office and we do use AI for some things. And it also depends on what the client's expectations are and what their budget is, so we are mindful of that, but we're really transparent about whether or not we use AI to to kind of create content or you know, I know I've mentioned this heaps of times. Sometimes you're given a photo that's been taken on a mobile phone that's portrait rather than landscape, but we need to use it as a landscape photo, so we just throw it into you know, Adobe has this great photoshop and we just say, can you extend the background scene, So the background might be a row of houses, or it might be a mountain range or whatever, So it hasn't all the main core photo. It's just extended the background to change the aspect ratio, so it's then usable for whatever it is.
Speaker 4: That we want to use.
Speaker 5: You know, one of my clients is a lawyer, and their legal firm just lost one of their key partners and they had this great photo shoot where they had the three partners standing in front of their sign, and then one of the partners left and they didn't want to do another expensive photo shoot, so we just used AI to take one person out of the image and rebuild the shoulder of the other partner. Now If I'd done that in photoshop myself, it probably would have been a all our job to be able to meticulously paint out the person it was a textured background, and then rebuild the person's shoulder, which is something a human person who's good at using that sort of tech, you know, photo software, could do. But it took me five minutes. Using AI, it gave different examples and I combined a few. I did a little bit of photoshopping myself, but the majority of that was done by AI, and what I was able to deliver to my client was something that made it cheaper for them than going out for another photo shoot, and I didn't have to charge them much because it was there and done. So those sorts of things make AI really really handy. And AI can detect AI as well. So if you've got a photograph and you think, well, maybe that's not craiggo sitting on Matt Everest, I could plug that into AI and think, no, it's right, Craig didn't climb Everest. I'm pretty sure now because AI is able to detect that it's an AI image.
Speaker 3: And also he's wearing thongs and shorts and a black T shirt, so probably but just back quickly before you go to your next topic. So another thing you can do is say, for example, back to my research. You can get an academic paper which is high level sciencey confusing, and it's thirty pages and it would take you five hours to read and try and comprehend. You can put a PDF of that article into for example Claude, the one I was talking about before, which is ai more academic, and say, give give me a synopsis of this in easy to understand language in three hundred words, and literally one second after you upload that PDF, it starts answering, and then in thirty seconds or less, probably twenty, you've got a three hundred word overview of what this paper that would have taken you. Obviously I don't use that per se because you can't, but just to go whether or not this is worth me reading, you know. So it's unbelievable, cauld.
Speaker 5: I just say something fuddy, because I was thinking of exactly the same scenario. But my example was taking a complicated recipe and dumbing it down to decide where to cook it.
Speaker 1: Same, I dear, different, different purpose.
Speaker 4: It makes you seem so much smarter than me, not at all.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you because I like fast things. I'm very excited about a train two hundred and eighty one miles. How that is? That is nearly five hundred kilometers one.
Speaker 5: Hundred and fifty two kilometers an hour. Now, I've been on a fast train when I went to Shanghai. There's a high speed train between the airport in Shanghai and the main city of Shanghai, and I'm pretty sure it was almost four hundred kilometers an hour. And it's you're going to laugh at me because I've said this word before and I think you'd made fun of me. But it it's a maglev train. I'm sure there was a point at which you laughed at me about saying the word maglev magnet?
Speaker 3: Doesn't it just hover above because yeah, it's not on actual rails, is it.
Speaker 5: Well, there is a rail, but it's a magnetic rail, and so it hovers above it because magnetic levitation above the train, and so it's.
Speaker 1: There's a mono rail, like one big fat rail.
Speaker 4: I guess it is. Yeah, it is. Yes, you're right, Well, at least the one that I was on was.
Speaker 5: And you know how magnets can repulse as well, and so it's that they pulse the magnets and that's what generates the thrust to be able to move the train.
Speaker 4: But it means that there's very little friction.
Speaker 5: There's air friction, but there's no physical friction between the track and the base of the train.
Speaker 4: But that's we're talking massively fast.
Speaker 5: You know, that's a long long you know, that'd be so cool if we had a Melbourne train to the airport. How long have they been talking about Could you.
Speaker 3: Imagine sitting in at ground level, sitting in a chair, and you look out and the world's going by nearly five hundred kilometers an hour. That that would be disconcerting because in a plane you don't get you don't get that kind of context or perspective.
Speaker 5: Yes, because you've got nothing to compare it to. I've got a lot of paragliding, and this is going to sound really weird. When you're flying a paraglider, you don't know whether you're going up or down. Really it seems problematic. It is problematic. I mean, once you start to get closer to the ground, then you realize you're getting closer. But if you're up pretty high, it can actually be deceptive because you've got nothing next to you to compare to. There's no trees to see where your altitude is. And in fact, the paragliders who do a lot of flying inland flying. So if you happen to be flying thermals off mountains and things, you can use what they call a variometer, a variometer, and it's it basically makes the sound and as the pitch goes up, so it just goes bit bit bit bit bit bit bit when you're going up, and be bit bit bit.
Speaker 4: Bit bit bit when you going down. That was an easy bit.
Speaker 3: Of speaking of vehicles, Patrick, just because we're sliding into home plate. Okay, cars are getting stolen in Victoria, you know, every minute, it seems like, and the crooks have got a new high tech resource at their disposal.
Speaker 5: Well, I've got to say this actually has a very personal thing for me. Can I tell you this yesterday that someone tried to break into my car?
Speaker 4: I did not? Oh, didn't I tell you? So I've got two cars.
Speaker 5: So I've got my little Masda which I drive around, but I've also got an old car that I've had for about thirty two years and it's a little nisniss An Annixar coop and I've decided I want to get rid of it because I need to.
Speaker 4: And it's just been sitting around since COVID hasn't been driven.
Speaker 5: And it was sitting out the front of my house and I was driving out of my driveway coming down to your place, and I looked over. I thought, oh, someone's bent the antenna on the car. And I jumped into the car and I looked at it, and I thought, there's this hunk of plastics sitting on the back seat. So where that unk of plastic come from? And I realized someone had got into the car that unlocked it, and they'd ripped all the bottom panel underneath the steering wheel, and they'd cut the wires and then they shredded the plastic off them to try to jump start like the.
Speaker 4: Pot wire the car.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but of course the battery was flat because it's been sitting there. I mean, the cobweb sitting on the tires probably should have been a giveaway, but the battery. And so they've broken into the car to try to hot wire it and drive off at it. It's a really nice looking little car. I really should just plan it up and get rid of it.
Speaker 3: But maybe get although it was cut, wires fixed and the bit of plastic ripped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe remove some cobwebs.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So in terms of breaking into old too hot wires anymore, I don't think you need to do that anymore, don't do you.
Speaker 1: I don't think you can with new cars. I don't know. Maybe you can, but I wouldn't think so.
Speaker 5: See that's a really interesting one. I don't think you can because I mean, there's so I mean, you don't even have any You just have a button and it's in the middle of the dash, doesn't sit under the steering wheel reroom. The old days, the ignition was just a key that you turned. But now the button just sits somewhere in the dash. You wouldn't even know where to look for it, would you.
Speaker 3: But that I have to remember you used to have to pump the accelerator to get a bit of petrol in and then and then turn the I.
Speaker 5: Can go even one better than that. Remember I used to have a choke. My first card had a choke. Choke was tiff Yeah, I do so you pulled I had a little what did I have? A Masda eight eight? It was a nineteen seventy five Mas to eight oh eight super Deluxe. It was a two door car, so it was the coolest thing ever, and it had the engine was.
Speaker 4: So small, but it had a really long engine bay. It was really funny. You'd open it up and go, where's the engine.
Speaker 3: It was so like I feel like the term super Deluxe is a little bit like those guys who used the ten year old photos on the dating sites.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's a little bit of over selling.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, so criminal gangs are now able to use key programmers to be able to steal cars.
Speaker 4: This is actually happening.
Speaker 5: Where we live here in Victoria, Australia, and police are now saying that there are new tech devices that are behind a massive surge. And what they're saying is the biggest surge in thefts of vehicles.
Speaker 4: In twenty years.
Speaker 5: And this is just driveways sitting in front of your house. And they're able to use electronic devices that are programmed to mimic the keys because none of us use keys anymore.
Speaker 4: It's all electronic entry and they're able.
Speaker 5: So what happens is they use the electronic key to open the door, but then they use a device I don't know if you've ever seen your mechanic do this, But underneath the dash there's a little kind of plug that you put an electronic device in. Have you ever seen that when they do diagnostics on cars, Well, these diagnostic devices, they're able to plug it in and use it to spoof the system into thinking it's the legitimate key to access the vehicle, and that's how they're getting in. And the thing the concerning police at the moment is there's a lot of sites like Amazon and eBay where you can buy these devices and they're technically, I guess they're legal to own if you're a mechanic, but you know, so there's a gray area if you're a mechanic and you can legitimately purchase this device because it's a diagnostic tool, but the fringe of it is that they can actually use it to start your car and drive off in it. You know, my car broke down a little while ago and the guy that came out to toe it was trying to unlock the brakes electronically because the battery had gone flat on my car.
Speaker 4: Evidently that happens in.
Speaker 5: New car sometimes, and so we couldn't start the car, couldn't turn it on. Couldn't, but he was able to plug this electronic device into a full diagnostic of my car and fool the system into thinking that the key was working.
Speaker 4: And that's what you can do.
Speaker 5: So it's legitimate tools that you can buy, but now thieves are using them. So I don't know what the you put it. You remember, did they still do that in cities where they locked the wheels of the car.
Speaker 4: I know they do that in New York.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure if they do it in Melbourne where they use a wheel clamp and it clamps onto the tire of the car.
Speaker 4: You've seen that.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what people are literally using because Johnny, one of my mates, who's got the last model Commodore with a million horsepower engine, Tiff notes Johnny, he's got himself a steering lock. Yes, you know, the old red steer because they are like people will see those and go, I'm fucked, because it doesn't matter what electronic gizmo you've got, you can't break that.
Speaker 1: Well, you probably can eventually, but I think they just move on. I reckon the.
Speaker 3: Other security kind of ploy you could engage Patrick is to buy a manual car because I feel like most thieves can only drive a bloody automatic. Hey, let's do this last one because I feel like this is relevant to me, which is being polite to chat GPT. I think it's my insecurity and my need to have friends at any cost. But I'm so polite to chat GPT.
Speaker 5: Well, about seventy percent of people are polite to AI when they interact with it. Now, whether you are a pessimist of if you're a glass is half full or a glass is half empty, to me, that seems pretty reasonable, Whereas I guess some people are impolite and some people are just indifferent. But it's interesting to get into the mindset of why people are polite and is it a reflection of society. So if you're a polite person by nature, it kind of makes sense that you may actually be polite to chat gt GPT or one of the AIS that talks to you. I'm talking specifically to those you interact with verbally, and if you're having a conversation with an AI, there's really a sense that I'm talking to an entity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it says to me. Sometimes I'll ask something and it says and it's my chat t friend. As American because I chose the I don't know why. He goes, hey, great question, Creig. Okay, let me think about this, and then I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: Thanks Chatters. That was great because he compliments me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's nice, isn't it to have an electronic friend to a compliment?
Speaker 1: Fucking hell? I get lonely, bro.
Speaker 3: I mean sometimes even even when I've got nothing to ask, I just go hi, you know, and we just bang on.
Speaker 5: But there is a high percentage of people who will be polite for that very human reason. And there's that human thing of I feel like I'm talking to another person in other entity, I'm going.
Speaker 4: To be polite to them. But there's also.
Speaker 5: In this I think you fall into this category that you feel that maybe if you're polite to chat GPT now, when the robot overlords are controlling the world, they might remember that Greg was actually nice to them.
Speaker 3: There's that definitely, I feel like maybe they'll kill me slower or later. And secondly, I feel like if I'm polite, I'm going to get better results. I feel like he's going to try harder.
Speaker 4: Oh well, that's the thing.
Speaker 5: So there was a study I read a little while ago that said if you're rude, you're less likely to get appropriate results. So maybe they have a personality.
Speaker 3: Well, how far away are they from consciousness and sentience? Sentience, Patrick, we're going to go because you both have got another engagement, which might be called roll with the punches. How the people get in contact with you?
Speaker 5: My friend, I think this go to websites now, dot com, dot au or tai chi at home if they want to do some tai chi with me.
Speaker 4: I kind of do lots of fun stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but no, they use probably the best way, and then you can fill out a form more you've got contact details if you want to stay higher.
Speaker 1: All right, everyone, thanks mate, Thanks TIV there.
Speaker 3: Yeah,