Speaker 1: Two more years.
Speaker 2: The Western Bulldogs and Luke Beveridge renew their vowels and commit to each other until the end of twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Max Gorne and Steven may work their way through the frustrations of a close loss at the MCG the captain conceding his reaction was poor.
Speaker 2: And inside footy's most intimate evening, more than seventy members of the Hall of Fame gather to welcome a new.
Speaker 1: Set of inductees.
Speaker 3: You talked about his step into it, embrace all.
Speaker 2: Of it in the room and Pat it's unedifying for a senior coach to do that.
Speaker 3: They're on the side of Cautia with the brain, keep the man on.
Speaker 1: They played the best footy I've ever seen at the start of the season. And in his said President left the couple Ler said, of course they do.
Speaker 3: It is the stuff that legends are made of. What is holding them ball? I don't think I could answer it clearly right now that I could do something.
Speaker 4: Wrong, you know, and I need to gain from the board sectary, the fans lover and with no fans no through sixty year old.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome inside the Palladium at Crown Casino for what many regard as the football.
Speaker 1: Function off the season.
Speaker 2: In a few minutes time, the doors will swing open and Gary Lyne, nothing less than football royalty, will come pouring into this grand stage.
Speaker 3: Jared, first time here, had to come here to host that they get an experience kid candy store for me. Some of the biggest names in the game just waiting to come in here and enjoy. What I'm told from everyone else is the best night on the footy calendar. So I can't wait to sit back and experience at all. It's going to be a great night.
Speaker 2: There are seventy one members' presence who have been previously inducted, including five legends, and they are the names that your dad would have told you about. They're the names that have captured your imagination through the years, and they're the names.
Speaker 1: That you'll pass on to your kids.
Speaker 2: It is the absolute fabric of the game from every heartlands that there is.
Speaker 3: So it took me through the night. How does it all work? I mean, having seventy one Hall of Famers in the one room is a magnificent start. And then family, friends and everyone else of the inductees are here.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So eight inductees six are presents. There'll be the elevation of a deceased legend that's going to break with formality and happen at the start of the night, an exalted figure from the past. The dynamic of the night is those who have previously become members are here to welcome the new breed into the killed, as it were, and the sharing of stories and the reliving of highlights which have been beautifully put together.
Speaker 1: So in our.
Speaker 2: Inductees tonight that the Heartland States have represented, there are stories that will take us back more than a century. And I had to look at the seating plan. If you glance around on one table, you will see this starting midfield, Andrew McLeod, Chris Jard and Michael Voss, and think about how fast they might move the salt and pepper shakers. So thereforwards Stephen Kernerhoud and Jonathan Brown.
Speaker 1: That's the sort of night that it is.
Speaker 3: That's the kind of night, kind of table that might get a little bit rowdy as well, one would think. So it is superb when you look around and you see some of these faces and some familiar faces there to be had. And I would imagine for the inductees. It's it's enormous, but for their families it's equally as big. And you've got the honored job of trying to get the most out of these guys. Haworth.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's not, and it's just pointed in the right direction to share the essence of your story. You mentioned Rowdy, Rick Davies, Robert Dippy, at Amenica and Shane Crawford.
Speaker 3: That might that might have that might have that other group covered.
Speaker 1: You know who's on that table. No, Jason Dudstall.
Speaker 3: If he won't get a word it all night, you'll be thriving in the middle. Look at these Durmott, the Great Man Dermott, Brereton and Rodney Grinches in there. He's not coming in.
Speaker 2: Rich Oh and Couder and Flee and Boomer and Bluey and Jacko and Goody and Mitch and Plow and Aka and Chocko and the Flash. They've all been inducted previously and they're all here tonight.
Speaker 3: Absolutely superb. I literally can't wait to sit back and listen. It's going to be outstanding and all covered course on Fox Footy. So we've got you covered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So from seven point thirty where will have the beginning of the induction so many three sixty followed by the midweek tackle to bring you up to speed. Corbyn Middlemiss is in control tonight. On all the footy that's happening, all the news that's happening in footy right now going around.
Speaker 1: Let's get into our agenda, shall we.
Speaker 2: And at the top of it's the Western Bulldogs and Luke Beveridge are going to continue on. Already the longest serving coach in the club's history, two more years have been added through to the end of twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: I'm extremely proud.
Speaker 4: I don't take lightly the responsibility of the position.
Speaker 1: That I'm in and I've never been.
Speaker 4: More enthusiastic and excited by what we can do from here on in. We feel like we've established a degree of stability within the football club that everyone who's worked with us and now in the new facility and the health of the system and the health of the club gives us a bit of a warm and fuzzy feeling inside and that's a good way to emotionally exist when you come into work and the players we believe a feeling that way, and so as we move into the future, there's that sustainability piece of maintaining something but then building on it and growing and really pushing towards our next success.
Speaker 2: Club and coach took time to contemplate what it looked like together, and I suspect what it looked like a pass. And then once they got into the season, I reckon two things happened.
Speaker 1: One Lup Beveridge showed that he was.
Speaker 2: Reinventing, he was bringing the next iteration of the Bulldogs to life. And two he still had the group absolutely and that's been the evidence of what we've seen on field.
Speaker 1: How do you read it.
Speaker 3: We've louded this process. I feel like we've been with it from the start of the year and commended them with the mature approach to it, where both coach and club sat back and said, no, now's not the time. And I love that approach. They weren't spooked by anyone, including the media, and they said we'll do this at our own time. Until such time as they both arrived at the same conclusion. I think they held out and I reckon that's fair enough too. But there was a period there three or four weeks where I think Luke worked out that this is a job that he wanted to do, and then when one decides, the pressures on the other. I don't know that to be a fact, but that's the way I'm routing it. That Luke's sort of yeah, I'm all in, and then are you coming with me? And they said, damn straight, we are. So we celebrate the two year extension, which puts him in rare air as a Western Bulldog, all time great premiership coach. Of course, he has his own unique personality that I love. I've known him for a long long time. His coaching, I think is at the very very sharpest of ends and they are absolutely certain they got there right.
Speaker 1: Man. I love it what he does.
Speaker 2: This the legacy piece is really significant and already the longest serving coach in the history of the club. He's one of only two premiership coaches and on he goes. Sometimes I think with our coaching positions, we're just too casual and it's a global phenomenon to treat coaches as transient, to tip them out to debate their futures. Here's in a handful of the most significant figures in the history of that football club.
Speaker 3: No, no question, absolutely no question about that. And now he's got the chance to elevate himself even higher over the next couple of years if he was able to add to the premiership glory that he's had. So there's a challenging amongst this too. It's not ridiculous. It's not four years, it's not five or six, it's two. So I think there's a general cautiousness about the way they went about it the club and I think from Luke as well. But they both can side, hey, we're going full bottle for another premiership in the next two years and they think they can.
Speaker 2: The counter argument will be you should have run the distance and seen where it was going to be. They're currently six and six and they are outside the eight now. A little bit of that is circumstance, and they they've had their one bad loss of the year. The rest of it I think has been perfectly fine. Is there any legitimacy to you should have seen it through, find out whether you're going to make top four, find out whether you're going to win a final, and actually improve year on you.
Speaker 3: I think there is the argument can be made, and I think that was the way that they were looking at it, and until such time as they both agreed that yes, we want to go on now. If for whatever reason it was Luke that held out and said no, no, no, around fourteen we've lost our last two, I'm not sure then I think they would have held off, but I think they arrived at the point Jared, now, this will be Judgey in time, but they've arrived at the point. They've taken their time, and both coach and club have arrived at the same point. I think that's a great launching pad for the next couple of years.
Speaker 2: And this is the launching pad. So there's six and six. At the start of the season, when you looked at their fixture, you would have gone just be fifty to fifty as you hit the second half of the season. Now it's a little disappointing that they're fifty to fifty because of the footy that they have played, but there's no excuses not to get on and get moving now. And I don't know what the top four machinations are going to be, but they look like there are places up the grabs.
Speaker 1: Get on with it.
Speaker 2: The best footy we've seen from them has been somewhere around the best footy there is in the competition, so I'm full of optimism. I'm full of admiration for the way that they've gone about it and sometimes sticking with your guy. It pushes against the modern fad to want something new, as I like this.
Speaker 3: That's right. It flies in the face of those who think there's something better. When you think you've got something better in your hand, hold on to him. They were massive names out at the start of this season, and he coached well to get them and keep them close enough to wait for the cavalry to arrive. The last two loss have been disappointed. They've got a boat called Darcy who's about to re enter the fray. And you look at those full games, you look at who's coming back then I think there were some bulldogs. Fans should be excited about what's coming.
Speaker 2: All right, the doors are about to open here, so we're going to see some action.
Speaker 1: In the background.
Speaker 2: It's been a big day of business for the AFL with everybody coming together. There were three phases as far as I can tell. There was a commission meeting. Then there was the commission with the president, so none of the executive president that which was an interesting distinction. And then the executive of the AFL and the Chief Executive U tam to get it usually happened.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: But and the centerpiece of this is clearly Tasmania. So we're waiting on an election date out of Tasmania tonight and that's about to be formalized.
Speaker 1: Did they blink No. So here's how I understand it.
Speaker 2: The vocal presidents, of which there are a few, the agitators, the saber rattlers, they were going. The deal is the deal to which the commission went. The deal is the deal. The AFL is not budging from its position. No stadium, no team. Now whether they should or they shouldn't is a different debate.
Speaker 1: But there, whilst a bit agitated with each.
Speaker 2: Other, they're actually all in the furious agreement to see it through, at least through the period of political uncertainty, to see where it lands through in an election.
Speaker 3: So with the election in the offing, a date has been said, it's coming, so it'll probably be known later tonight. So the message is clear from the AFL and their constituents. You can go to an election or we want. We ain't changing anything.
Speaker 2: So vote on the basis whether you want the stadium and the team or not. And then if that goes south, then there's the well, are we going to renegotiate or not? That is I do conceive that's a conversation for a different day. I think we're getting very close to we're going to renegotiate or not.
Speaker 3: So does the politic politics Independence and Greens. Are they sitting there and saying I know what they're saying, hold our line here and they will come back to the table.
Speaker 2: So I think everyone will take their position to the election. So the Greens who are vigorously opposed, and the set of independents and they will hope to regain their seats on the basis of being opposed to the stadium. And then there will be those who run for it and we will get a read from the people of Tasmania. There's a lot of assumptions from the mainland made around what the opinions are. Well, it's actually going to get tested at an election.
Speaker 3: And the people at Tasmania they've got a chance. They've got a chance.
Speaker 2: So the alternate today would have been to come up with this team is happening no matter what, and we will work with in the varying circumstances that they present that hasn't happened.
Speaker 1: It is the deal. Is the deal.
Speaker 3: Well, let's see what unfollows over the next coming rooms.
Speaker 2: The second element was the AFL has given ground on the softcap, so there is good yees and this has been a concerted campaign from the coaches and the Coaches Association. So seven hundred and fifty thousands next year, three hundred and fifty thousand the.
Speaker 1: Year after, So it ends up being about a twenty.
Speaker 2: Million dollar boost. It's come with a couple of caveats for clubs who feel.
Speaker 1: Like they can't afford it.
Speaker 2: The AFL has taken that on board and we'll make provision around that.
Speaker 3: How do they do that?
Speaker 2: I probably don't know the exact mechanisms of it. But for the five or six clubs who didn't think this was a good idea because they don't feel like they have the money to be able to put into the softcap, that I expect will come through through distribution.
Speaker 1: Evid end, Yeah, through the distribution.
Speaker 3: So they can paign now outside the cap for their assistance.
Speaker 2: So there's the same as with the senior coach, for the senior assistant coach, there's a twenty percent provision made and there's an additional marketing component for the senior coaches, so as well as the twenty percent.
Speaker 1: There's kind of what it is. It's acknowledging this was too low.
Speaker 2: We have heard you, and we are going to take action, and it's not piecemeal.
Speaker 1: This actually is a substantial chunk of their money. But that's a win.
Speaker 3: I mean, they have been strong and when Chris Fagan's at the front of the queueho's not a sensationalist. There's not a Mark Raaker, he's not a trouble maker. But when he's been the one who's his passionate as anyone driving the charge, then you'll get a result I think most times. And this seems to me to be a pretty good result.
Speaker 2: And while there might have been a push from at least one of the broadcasters around having the Grand Finals slide a little closer to primetime, that won't be happening.
Speaker 1: It's going to stay at two thirty PM.
Speaker 3: After doing two thirty further foreseeable future, they put a time on us for the year, so we'll have this debate again.
Speaker 2: Will He's a bit absurd that it takes until June to.
Speaker 3: Get ANND Well, can't they say to listen for the next five is just lock it in the two thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that will be popular in some quarters and profoundly unpopular, and.
Speaker 3: I know that, But they keep arriving a tooth.
Speaker 1: They do what they do.
Speaker 3: What's the difference?
Speaker 2: So I think once Andrew Dylan on Night one declared himself an afternoon Grand Final man, it would be a big shift to make on his watch. I suspect it doesn't happen while he's in charge. The lobbying will continue, Yeah, nonetheless, and one day it will move further back toward prime time because the basic reality is you get a bigger.
Speaker 1: Audience than the later that it is in the day.
Speaker 2: But we do hold to one of the most cherished traditions that the game has.
Speaker 3: Well, the tchech's been written regardless, so they can hold at eleven o'clock in the morning if they.
Speaker 1: Want, all right, the furnace.
Speaker 2: The furnace comes out of yesterday's events at the MCG.
Speaker 3: This is what happens when you invest in a game at footy for two hours and it comes down to moments.
Speaker 5: I thought, I'm just going to try and kick this as high as I can to cause the little bit of chaos and it ended up beanging. There wasn't a Melbourn player within twenty.
Speaker 1: O old Max.
Speaker 2: He was terrific in the last quarter, but he's made that final kick when off decided his But.
Speaker 1: He's not feeling good about the world. So anything that someone else is going to say to you, he's.
Speaker 3: Going to sort of probably rub you up the wrong way.
Speaker 1: I think it says a bit of both of us.
Speaker 5: We were both extremely disappointed in that last thirty seconds. I thought my reaction was really poor. I had a teammateer showing care. His version of care as we know from a long history of Stephen.
Speaker 1: May Is, is he strong with his care.
Speaker 6: Obviously, both winners, both passionate about winning. Obviously you don't want to have that look on field, but that's the.
Speaker 5: Way they operate.
Speaker 6: You know, they're pretty strong with one another and they move on and they get better. The way I read that is it not just about what happened at the moment, that there might have been a build up and that Max has just had enough of that.
Speaker 5: Now I'm here to defend Steve a little bit here. He's copped it a little bit in the media for the last twenty four hours. I think if he had his time again, he might not do it on the final side and thinking there's a camera there, but that's him throughout the whole game, that's both of us throughout the whole game. And unfortunately he's been caught on camera and I sort of make it a bigger thing by pushing them away. So I'm slightly disappointed in how it's played out.
Speaker 2: Have you spoken to either of them about what transpired?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Look, spoke to both and they're passionate. You know, it had a little bit of feedback to one another and obviously you know that they're talking about it now. They're fine, they've moved on.
Speaker 3: That's live sport. That's what I love.
Speaker 1: Probably two aspects of this.
Speaker 2: One is the damage control in the public domain while everyone debates what they think they saw. The second is what this looks like between the two players in the locker room, and the second is far more important than the first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the issue is not on Melbourne side here because of the fact that they've had a really unsettled period of time over the past couple of years. Had this been at Geelong, for instance, it's probably lauded as the professionalism of a hard nosed outfit. So I accept that. So I accept that people have got doubts about culture and all that sort of thing. Beyond that, I've got no concern in the wide world, Jared. These two bugs have sorted out of that. I'm absolutely certain what it looks to the outside can look to the outside. They need to resolve it internally. I thought Max was self deprecating and taking some heat out of it this morning, like a good leadersh wood and taking a bit of the heat and trying to deflect off Stephen May. But I don't have a problem. This will be resolved. And this is a bit of an example of you know, he buck say it's a build up, it may possibly be to build I think it was a build up of the day, and this is the problem. A build up of the day is absolutely fine because that's what sport is. And a build up of six months or twelve months, that's what they're having to deal with. And I don't buy that. I just think it's tough frustration, what great look. They need to resolve over the group and it will be done and dusted.
Speaker 2: Actually, and Martin turning point here, So I was curious. So they have been texting each other back and forth.
Speaker 1: Clearly last night. It's a very modern way as well, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Just to thrash it out? And I did, and I guess this is the responsibility of captain.
Speaker 1: Now you've lived this. Max absorbs it himself.
Speaker 2: So in the moment, I sort of first reaction this, don't go and rub his one mistake for the day in his face. Probably wasn't the intention, but that's how it looked. But Max goes, no, No, my reaction is poor. We've tried to build a culture where the feedback is instant and it's as aggressive as it needs to be, and it's never personal. So all the teams that tell you they go down this path, it can never be personal. And I do I admire Max today, who's gone with it. No, this is on me if I don't react poorly.
Speaker 1: This is not a big deal.
Speaker 3: It's a very noble way to take heat out of it. Jered. I don't know with too many would sympathize with Stephen on the back of a But I guess what Max is saying is if Stephen comes up and sees mate whatever he said and he went there fair enough, then we wouldn't be sitting here talking about it. So there is an element of truth to it. But because Max has been such a warrior and such a lebythan for this footy club, then the sympathy is always going to go to Max, as they should. And he handled it like a great leader that he is, and I think he is a great leader for this.
Speaker 2: It is a heightened environment these days with the intrusion of our broadcast, because you've said to me before, is the language out on the field is pretty strong.
Speaker 3: I spoke to someone tonight we were getting ready for this broadcast who just played in my error and just shook his head at this and said, can you believe the carry on? And because it was a different time, And I can tell you if some of the stuff that got out back in the day of which I look at it as a brutal feedback session, would make your hair cool. So his attitude to me, and he's a considered star of this competition, and he just said, what is the world coming to him? But these two can't disagree at the end of the game, so make of it what you will. We are in the modern era of footy where everything is dissected to an inch of its life. There's angles is behind the screen. He's come back for a second ago that was part of the narrative last night he went again as if he punched him in the mouth again. So I understand all that. I've been in this game long enough. I get all that, but I'm not concerned as a Melbourne supporter, not concerned one bit.
Speaker 2: I just saw a statement come through from the AFL regarding Carlton's handling of their Adam Cherr scenario, and they are satisfied They've had the medical examination, doctors talking to doctors and stepped through the process fully with Carlton. The overriding sentiment is the AFL encourages conservative treatment in this moment, but they do believe there was never a singular moment where it looked.
Speaker 3: Like there might have been a concussion well at risk in getting thrown out of this event. I couldn't disagree with them more and I'll argue this with him until the end of time. So no, I don't like it. I don't like that statement from the AFL in any way, shape or form. And as I said earlier, if we are taking more time and treating more seriously, a minor hamstring strain than a brain injury, then there's something wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So content with the findings and the actions that were taken on the night. So that's a debate that will continue to evolve.
Speaker 3: I suspect I still get dinner, hopefully So.
Speaker 2: Hall of Baby is coming, the Australian Football Hall of Fame inductees, and the elevation of a legend. It is all right here on fox Foot tonight, the most intimate evening of all, a night of nostalgia and revelry to honor those who have left their mark on the game.
Speaker 1: Coming up shortly