Speaker 1: Approche production.
Speaker 2: This podcast contains talk of suicide and suicidal adiation. Listener discretion is advised for free counseling twenty four hours. In Australia, the number for Lifeline is thirteen eleven fourteen. This is Our Little Edie, the story of fifteen year old Eden Westbrook, who police say took her own life, but her parents and now millions of other people feel there's much more to this story. It's a story which, over the past nine years for Jason and Amanda has lacked one vital thing, answers, and now we all feel like we're closer than ever to finding out what happened to Eden Westbrook. Before we get into the show, I want to thank everyone that supported the podcast and Jason and Amanda's Hunt four answers, and now we realize there's a lot more of you thanks to that under investigation story from Liz Hayes and the team at Channel nine which add a few weeks back. Thanks to that story, there's been lots of new people coming forward to offer help. If you haven't yet seen the show, we've put a link to YouTube and nine now in the episode notes below. Over the next few weeks, you're going to hear from some of those people that popped up because of that under investigation show. One in particular we're going to focus on in this episode. It's someone that up till now has been very quiet, someone who we've tried to reach out to, but to date the contact has been brief and most times not very helpful. In previous episodes, we've called this person Kate. She's the person that police have never spoken to. She's alleged to be the last one to see Eden alive. Kate started posting on social media the night the special aired on Channel nine. We've used an AI generated voice to read some of her posts.
Speaker 1: If you don't know me, well, don't try to talk to me about that shit. You'll all think you know so much. You know shit.
Speaker 2: There was also a meme attached to this post, but we didn't get the joke. Then a few minutes later, a much larger post, fuck.
Speaker 1: It, I'll say it. You all feel so sorry for a young girl who passed away by her own doing and a family stuck in a nine year state of disbelief and delusions. Yet you don't think it's unfair and ludicrous that they blame others. You don't feel bad about the innocent person or persons being accused of murder over a clear cut suicide. There won't be any investigation for a suicide. There is nobody to blame for her hanging, unless you'd like to blame the rope or maybe it was the trees. For If you believe any of what's in the media, you are as stupid and gullible as they come. I am going to try and block anyone who shares that nonsense or buys into any of it. You want to watch fictional television, listen to fictional podcasts, and read absolute lies in the mercury, you may as well remove yourselves from my social media and my life. Thank you, and to the people that have asked if I am okay, thank you very much love heart emoji. To those who just want to ask questions, mind your business now.
Speaker 2: We aren't alleging that this girl we're calling Kate murdered Eden. We are saying that she should be talked to because of what she told the family and others nine years ago. Remember at the time, nine years ago, she went on social media and made this statement about Eden. I asked Jason and Amanda to read these mumble screenshots the social media posts. They don't make a lot of sense and they're not grammatically correct, but hopefully you'll get the idea of the state the person that wrote them was in when she posted them.
Speaker 3: If anyone needs to talk about the said life of a beautiful girl, Hunter Westbrook's brightest half. She didn't leave any of you, especially you. For those she spoke to before five am, you know enough that I can already explain. I can't already explain anyone left without confirmation that she found her own, cool place to be free. I was not there when she took her last crazy dive from twice her height, but I found my way to where she left after her goodbyes, and anyone that's holding blame for Eden's brave, free choice of leaving a life she wasn't happy in. She loves you all and is sorry. She hopes nobody is worrying about her about anything except using the money you would waste on a funeral she doesn't necessarily want. She's already passing past over and found freedom. I want your whole family to design me a small, colorful tattoo representing strength, courage, and The last message she sent me feeling is in brackets is that she didn't feel a thing. She was brave enough to say goodbye and then let go of her hips sister before taking a brave leap down towards the bay. If the tree itself isn't private gardening, I'm sure the counsel will let you do as you please. With her last crazy leap.
Speaker 4: She's admitted here, I found my own way to where she left her goodbyes, and anyone that's holding blame for Eden's brave choice. She told me she found Eden. She's obviously talking to Eden that night. You know why is Zesel getting she's already passed over? How does she know she's passed over?
Speaker 5: She is she there?
Speaker 4: I want your whole family design a small colorful tatoo representing strength, courage and the last message she said, the last message she sent she wasn't Eden's friend. This girl's acting like she's, you know, her soul mate and passing on the information to the family of Eden's last words. We need to know why she feels she's this connected to my daughter. Yet she's with this chick that night and we find it dead the next day. That's alarming. There's too much in that that needs to be looked at.
Speaker 2: The only thing we think that is important right now is for Kate to be formally interviewed by police. Now, she doesn't need to answer any questions because she's not being accused of any wrongdoing, so she isn't required to talk to the police. However, she can be compelled to do it by a coroner, and if Jason and Amanda's quest to get an open coronial inquest is successful, then hopefully that can happen. There was one other post that actually was more disturbing the day after the Under Investigation show aired, from the girl We're calling.
Speaker 1: Kate So to the ones that harass un threaten, if you believe I am capable of murder, then why mouth off? It sounds a bit dangerous five laughing emojis.
Speaker 2: After this comment, we started to get a little nervous. The comment felt threatening and we weren't the only ones to think that. Jason and Amanda sent a letter to the Commissioner of Police.
Speaker 4: Dear Commissioner, it is with some reluctance that I write to you, given our experiences over the last nine years with Tasmania Police and the investigation into our daughter's tragic death in twenty fifteen. However, following the broadcast of Under Investigation on Tuesday night eighteen.
Speaker 2: I won't read any more of the letter to the Commissioner, but Jason and Amanda got a response saying the matter had been passed on to the Deputy Commissioner who's responsible for police operations. On Friday, the twenty eighth of June, we received an email from Regina.
Speaker 6: Weiss, dear review participant. Today I delivered my final report into former police officer Paul Reynolds to the Tasmanian Police Commissioner. I understand that it is intended to be publicly released next week. Thank you for coming forward and sharing your experiences, thoughts and insightful comments with us over the last eight months. Without the conversations we had and written submissions received, the review and final report would not have been possible. I am hopeful that the healing process can commence and that valuable learnings will assist in ensuring that history does not repeat. The report remains entirely deidentified. There is no draft report in existence that reveals the identity of any participant. As promised, The notes of our conversations remain separate from Tasmania Police or government and will not be shared unless you consent or ask me to. I will share the final report with you at the earliest opportunity next week. In it, you may recognize familiar words which may be yours or those of people who had similar experiences in thoughts.
Speaker 2: Studios across the next few episodes of Our Little Lady. Will share that report into Paul Reynolds. There was also talk of Eden Westbrook and this case in Parliament last week.
Speaker 7: My question is to the Attorney General. Attorney General, are you aware of the under investigation story that aired on Tuesday the eighteenth of June relating to the tragic death of fifteen year old Eden Westbrook in twenty fifteen Instant Helens And would you consider doing what the previous Attorney General did in the Jarri Wise case in directing that an inquest be held for surant to Section twenty four to one G of the Tasmanian Coroners Act, given the requests and applications to date by the Westbrook family have been consistently refused. Good question, Thank you called the Attorney General.
Speaker 8: Thank you Speaker. I think the honorable Member for his question and immediately and respond and say what a tragic outcome, And my heart goes out to the Westbrook family. Very sincerely, very sincerely. It's a devastating matter, the subject of a coronial investigation and the coronials. The coronial findings were made public. The colonial report included the circumstances leading up to Miss Westbrook's death and referred to the competency of the police investigation. The coronial investigation was conducted by Saint Helen's Police and provided to the coroner. That's the advice that I have obviously with anyone who would have information that has not been provided to police should contact Saint Helen's Police on one three one triple or with the respect to the other part of the question, I'd like to take that on notice and get back to the honorable member. So take these matters very seriously.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry. I note that that questions being taken on notice.
Speaker 1: Think on the speak.
Speaker 2: I said at the top of this episode that there were two people that started making noise after the Under Investigation TV special. We've already heard from the girl we call Kate on her socials and then on the first of July twenty twenty four, Amber Wilson from the Tasmanian Mercury had another person come forward. It was from the woman who was the delivery driver of the first one to see Eden's body in the park. She's agreed to talk with us on the podcast, but I want to give you a warning first. The next part of the podcast is graphic in nature and talks about the manner of death and what this lady saw. We think it's important to the story, but also know and advise that it could be confronting to some listeners.
Speaker 5: I saw an advertisement on TV for it coming.
Speaker 2: Up, and what were your first thoughts when you saw that?
Speaker 5: I thought, oh, wow, finally something's going to happen, and I wrang on my children and I said, oh, watch this. You know, I think they're doing something at last, because.
Speaker 2: You're watching that show on Channel nine. What were your thoughts.
Speaker 5: More questions than answers, this belief that they I was just shocked that how on earth could they not investigate properly?
Speaker 2: And so we're not talking about under investigations investigations. You're talking about the police's investigations of Eden Westbrook's death.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, that's the impression I got from the program. Under investigations. Just thought this is just all so wrong. So that's why I thought I'll contact the journal and hopefully add some more weight behind it that it just doesn't add up.
Speaker 2: I want to take your mind back to that day on the eighteenth of February twenty fifteen, some sort of nine years ago. Tell me what you were doing and give me the detail of what you saw.
Speaker 5: Well at that stage, as I say, with my business, I stayed overnight every Tuesday night in Saint Helens. So I was leaving early Wednesday mornings to continue on my deliveries and I was driving down the main road and I just noticed something on the right hand side in the memorial park and I thought, oh, that looks strange, and I throwed down and my first impression was, oh, somebody's playing a sick joke. There's a mannequin in the tree. And I pulled over and rang my son in Melbourne and said to him, and he said, well, you should go over and have a look, mum. So I parked the truck and walked over and yes, it was a young girl and I sort of leant over and just touched the back of her hand and it was obvious that she'd passed away, and so then I looked around and the police station was dished up the road a little bit, so I went up there. There was nobody in attendance, so I rang the number that was there and they said, and I said, there's a young girl hanging in a tree in the memorial parking Saint Helen And they said, oh right, okay, we'll get somebody to come up from Saint Mary's. And I said, well, how long is that going to be? And they said, oh, probably about half an hour. So I went back to the truck and I thought half an hour. Current live there for half an hour? So I thought, oh, at the hospital that's open all the time. So I went along to the local hospital and wandered in and finally found heard some voices in a room up the back. Knocked on the door and there were a group of people there in a meeting, and I said, oh, there's a young girl down in the memorial park and they said, oh, right, okay, and they were just sitting there and I said, well, is somebody going to come down? And they said, oh, if she did, and I said yes, and they said, oh, all right, somebody will come down soon. And so I just walked out, got back in the trust, rose back down, and went back over because I thought, oh, you know, they didn't look like hail in a hurry either. And so I just stood there with her one to stop anybody else coming up, because people were just starting to get out and about it that the morning, to stop people coming up and contaminating the area until the police got there, just to be with her, you know, spoke to her, and then he looked around and you know, just observed as much as I possibly could.
Speaker 2: While you're standing there waiting for someone from the hospital to arrive. Is there anything that you notice about And I'm sorry to ask this, and I'm sure it's traumatizing and for anyone listening this is you know, what we're about to talk about now is will be disturbing for some people. Is there anything noticed about her body?
Speaker 5: Well, the first thing I noticed from the road was the angle of her right arm was out sort of like at a right angle, not down beside a body. That's why I honestly thought it was a manequin or something, because I thought that's not natural for somebody that's hung themselves. You know, you would imagine that their arms would be straight down beside their body.
Speaker 2: Is this the first time you'd seen something like this?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, but you.
Speaker 2: Had previously worked for sin John Ambulance. Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yes, back in the day in country areas with John Ambulance, attended accidents and everything. I did some work volunteering attending car accidents, and you don't get used to it, but it's just a fact of life, and you sort of have to detach a bit and just get in a professional mode.
Speaker 2: Was there anything else around the scene that felt odd?
Speaker 5: Yes, he had light gray track pants on and there was no I sort of looked and thought, there's no bodily discharge, which also in the majority of cases I understand, happens upon an incident like that. So I thought that was weird. And then the lex thing was the angle When I got up really close was the rope. There was no noose. It was wrapped around the branch of the tree quite high up, came down beside her ear, just resting under her tin, and back up the other side, and then wrapped around the tree a bit further along. And I thought, whoa, if you'd have dropped from that height, it would have just slipped off and then so I looked really close, and I couldn't see any obvious mark, you know, from a rope, you know, grazing or anything like that. It sort of shocked me that how could this happen? It just did not seem real.
Speaker 2: Were there any markings or anything unusual about Eden's face when you saw.
Speaker 5: Her, No, it just looked peaceful.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask you to try and remember your thoughts back at that time, back in twenty fifteen. Did you think that this young girl had taken her life or did you think there was something else?
Speaker 5: The more I looked, the more it just looked did not gell with somebody hanging themselves. There was a pair of ugg boots on the ground just behind her. And again, if you'd struggled and kicked them off, surely the rope would have slipped from under your chin. I remember thinking that I sort of I didn't walk around because I didn't want to contaminate the scene, as I said, but I sort of peered around. Couldn't see any other belongings, no backpack or bag or anything like that. Just did not seem consistent. And also, how on earth did she get up there that high and dropped from that height again without the rope, just sitting off from under a tint. It just did not seem plausibook.
Speaker 2: Do you recall how high her feet were off the ground.
Speaker 5: It's a fair memory now, would have been about two three feet I would say, about about a meter bit less. I suppose there was nothing else that you know, she could have just put the rope up and then stood on and kicked out from under it. There was no nothing for her to have stood on, to have got into that position.
Speaker 2: Either you're standing there in the park at madea cove at the memorial park there at Fisherman's Memorial and and you're talking to Eden, who's now deceased. Yeah, and you're waiting for someone from the hospital or police to arrive, Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then what.
Speaker 5: Happens another lady came up. She'd been out walking for the morning. And the elderly lady started to walk up and I said, oh, no, no, please, don't come up here. It's not very nice. And she said, oh, that's okay. And we were just talking for a minute, and then she left. And then finally one of the nurses came down from the hospital and started to come over and I stopped her from going too close again. You know, no, don't walk there, wait till the police come and coordinate it off. And I said, you know, she's definitely deceased. And then she just started saying, oh, stupid girl, Why on earth did she do this? And I said, oh, beg your pardon. So why she had to do this? And I said, well, she was obviously in the dark pace. If she did this, well she should have got help. Then by then I was getting really angry. I just thought, you know, have some empathy, have some understanding. I just and I thought, I'm not going to stand here and listen to this. I've been there for about twenty minutes, half our away. Then I said, look, the police should be here anytime. Here's my name, my phone number, if you could poward that on, I'm going to be on my way. And so that's when I left.
Speaker 2: Kim. Do you remember the time that you first spotted Eden's body.
Speaker 5: It's would have been round about seven o'clock.
Speaker 2: In the morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, between seven seven point thirty. I mean, there should be record of when my call went through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they see the first chorus received at six fifty seven am.
Speaker 5: Right right, yeah, so round about seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you go. You obviously are traumatized, but you'd seen this sort of thing before and attended accidents with the Saint John Ambulance. So you've given your number over to the nurse on site and said to with that onto police. When did you hear from police?
Speaker 5: When I got to vish Ando, I was doing delivery and then they rang. I can't recall what times. I've got something in my memory about nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: So a couple of hours after you'd see Eden that officer. What did that officer ask?
Speaker 5: He said, oh, it's Saint Helen's police. I'm ringing about. I understand that you discovered the body and I said, yes, that's right. I said is it suspicious? And he said, oh no, no, I wouldn't say that. And I said, oh, there were just a few things that didn't look right and he said I nine. He said, I would you mind giving a statement? Where are you based? And I said down south? I'm on my way back, working my way back down to Hobart. And he said, oh, well, when you get to Hobart, would you mind calling in the Hobart police station and then give a statement and I said, yes, that's fine, I'll do that, which I did.
Speaker 2: So that statement was written Affidavid, Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: There were a couple of officers that sat with me and I went through everything that I could recall and describe.
Speaker 2: And did you tell him about the army? Did you tell him about the rope?
Speaker 5: Yes, all of that, all of the detail that I've given you in.
Speaker 2: That first affidavit, which was done on the eighteenth to February twenty fifteen, the day that Eden's body was found in Hobart, to two officers, you stated everything you've stated today to me.
Speaker 5: Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Following that affidavit, that written statement to police, did you then hear from police again?
Speaker 5: About six months later, I got a call from Bridgewater Police Station, which is the closest to where I live, and they asked if I'd mind coming in because the coroner had a few more questions for me. So I went over and they were inquiring about if I'd noticed anything unusual about her risk and I said no, I didn't didn't notice anything about a risk at all. And I said why is that? And they said, apparently at some stage her ricks had been tied behind her back, And I said, ah, so it wasn't suicide. And they said, oh, we don't know. And I said, well, you can't tie your own risks behind your back surely unless you're fodeni. I said, so that just confirms my suspicions that it wasn't suicide. And they said, oh, well, that's up to the corness she determined. And then later I thought, well, that would probably explain the angle of her arm. You know, I could have been tied behind her back. The angle of the elbow would be consistent. You know, you put your hands behind your back, your elbow sticks out as an angle, and then when it's released, it's obviously come out, but it's been set in that position. The angle of the eilboats.
Speaker 2: So in that six months since you first spotted Eden and then you go back to Bridgewater Police Station two, is that a sworn affidavit that you're making there or is it just an interview with police? Did you sign anything? I guess it's my question.
Speaker 5: That I can't remember that far back, Okay. I think I think they just had a sheet of questions from the corner and just filled in the answers. I can't recall if I signed it or not.
Speaker 2: Can I ask a few other questions from that time six months after Eden died through to when you saw the program on Channel nine under investigation. Did you hear any more from police or anyone in Tasmania about the Eden Westbrook case?
Speaker 5: No? No, And every now and then, as I was infant Helen's I'd ask people have you heard any more about it? And they said, no, very quiet, we haven't heard a thing. And I said, well, surely there's been a coronial inquiry by now, and quite a few customers that I kept queering said no, we haven't heard anything.
Speaker 2: We're aware. In twenty twenty three, a detective who was reinvestigating some of the claims that Eden's family, Jason and Amanda, had made about their daughter's death. What we have from police is that he looked into the death again. Did you just to clarify you didn't have any contact from any police officer? Thanks?
Speaker 5: No, no.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: The next guy heard about it was I saw an article in the paper that somebody else had come forward with information. And again I said to all my family and friends that knew, I said, oh, finally something might happen. Now somebody has come forward with some more information and again. Each time I was in Saint Helen's, I'd ask and no, they said, we haven't heard anymore. We saw the thing in the paper, but nobody had any more information.
Speaker 2: Kim, thank you so much for coming forward. Thank you so much for being able to recount something that is obviously disturbing for you to relive nine years later. And we appreciate you coming forward.
Speaker 5: It's just the right thing to do, I mean, and hopefully there's some justice now. As I explained, I have six children of my own, you know, I just feel heartbroken to that family and I hope, I hope the truth comes out for them.
Speaker 2: As we hit publish on this episode, which was supposed to be released on Monday, we received a late text from Jason and Amanda. It was from the Deputy Commissioner of Police in response to the letter that Jason and Amanda had sent around Kate's social media posts. The information I'm about to read is something that nobody knew until now. It's addressed to Jason Westbrook. The subject says, response to email twentieth of June twenty twenty four, Eden Westbrook case concerns of safety and welfare of the girl. We're calling Kate. It reads, Dear mister Westbrook, thanks for your email and the information it contained concerning the safety and welfare. I'm advised that I was interviewed by police regarding Eden's death as part of inquiries undertaken last year into the further information you provided. The investigation into that further information found no evidence having contact with Eden on the night of her death or to her being otherwise involved. Thank you for highlighting your concerns regarding this. I can confirm that we are satisfied with her safety and well being. Sincerely, the acting Commander, Jason and Amanda, nor any one on the podcast or under investigation, or anybody else that's trying to find the truth about what happened to Eden. Westbrook didn't know of this information. The girl we're calling Kate herself has never published on socials that she had been talked to by police. We are aware of an investigation that happened in twenty twenty three after Jason and Amanda reached out to have police further investigate Eden's death. As you heard from Kim, the delivery driver, as part of that investigation in twenty twenty three, she was never contacted in the next episode, we'll try and uncover who police spoke to in twenty twenty three and what information they may or may not have missed. That's next time on Our Little Edie. If this podcast has raised concerns for you or your family, please call Lifeline on thirteen eleven fourteen