Speaker 1: I record this podcast on Gadigul Country. I'd like to pay my respect to the traditional.
Speaker 2: Custodians and I'm recording o Urando Country, part of the Cooler Nation. Let's go.
Speaker 1: I know you're going to dig this. It's like I've been given like an extra sprinkle of something.
Speaker 2: You've got layers, Yeah, I got layers. I was just thinking, I'm like, we're just such beautiful storytellers.
Speaker 1: You're making a lot of sense to that girl. No, I'm done.
Speaker 2: Let's been too honest to go. What's your earliest childhood of Nadoc.
Speaker 1: Maddie Well, I have a memory of Nadock when I went to live with my dad, and that's probably as far as I can go back when it comes to memories of Nadock Week. And there was this celebration in the local park of the community of Temworth and know the Paris Beau de la Cruz and I think Nathan Merritt, so you know, famous first name sporting icons came to the town and they put on this big day with the barbecue and the whole community came out to meet them and connect with them, and it was like, I think the weeks the Natoc Week's major event in Tenworth and it was in my community of cold Au, So that's I think one of the first memories I had that is a clear memory of what NATO Week felt like because it was, you know, very much in community. I was around ten, eleven years old and it was a beautiful, beautiful time. It's a core memory of mine because it does flash back into my memory every year that Nadok rolls around.
Speaker 2: Did you know like historically what Natok was at that time?
Speaker 1: No, I think because I was a young kid. I just felt like it was a week where black fellows celebrated who we are and what our community is about, especially that community aspect to it. And I remember there was a lot of like music and sport and these sort of modern interpretations of our culture. Yeah, that we're so connected with. You know, black fellows love their footy and they love to perform and dance, and I think that's at the core of our culture. So it's, you know, that continuation of culture. And I remember the feeling and the community aspect to this day, but I don't remember thinking, oh, yeah, this is a protest for our community. I never remember that feeling. What about you?
Speaker 2: No, same like I don't remember it being I just do remember it being a celebration. I remember similar age, Like I think my earliest childhood is again that ten eleven year old self, and I think like I was at Canarv East Canarvan Primary School and it was I think I made a bit No, I think I might have been a bit a bit younger, because I do remember the time that I was kind of taken from school, or me and my brother were taken from school was sort of like that nine years old kind of stage. So yeah, it would have been a bit earlier. And I have two memories. I have one memory of being in like the assembly area and being at you know, primary school and then having like these you know, trustle tables lined up and they had like kangaroo stew, like one of the aunties had come in and made like stew and really fresh damper, and we'd all line up every like every year, and we'd all like move through and we would all sit in the whole school would sit in the assembly area. We had like maybe four hundred less than that students at my school I think maybe even yeah, maybe even a bit less than that, like two hundred maybe, Okay, and we'd all sit in the assembly area, Black white, Asian, you know, all of the kids like all different cultures would all sit and we would all eat damper and kangaroo stew that some of the aunties had come in and it made, and like the canteen would also like give us free Milo's that day and stuff as well. So you know, it was like a like you know, as a kid, you think, oh, this is amazing, Like you're like yeah, and you know, it was like during class. It wasn't just like lunchtime. It was like, yeah, you're getting out of class to have a feed, like which is the best. But I don't remember it again like it coming off a protests. I do remember it being like a celebration, and you know, I was like, you know, most of the little Nonga kids or the Yamagi kids there would all sort of congregate together and like we would know all the families there. It was nice. I really like enjoyed that memory. The other memory that kind of comes with that, which is very unique and I've actually never told this story, was when Australia the film was being filmed. Yes, they came to all these rural schools and I didn't know it at the time, but my brother was auditioned for it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I had to wait after school because he was auditioning for it because they wanted a.
Speaker 1: Little kid, yeah Nullah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And my brother got picked up to do like to audition and I was waiting outside. I don't know if I actually auditioned myself. I think I have been a bit too old for it, okay, but I remember waiting outside the music room, which is where they did the audition at that it's kind of those twas there that's kind of weird, Like when I think about it, like, no was he.
Speaker 1: I think maybe what would have happened is they would have got a shortlist together and put them in front.
Speaker 2: Of bas But isn't that crazy?
Speaker 1: I mean it's such a bit of a tangent. But what did you think of the film Australia?
Speaker 2: You know, I actually don't remember it. I need to think. I think I need to rewatch it because there's Nicole Kidman.
Speaker 1: Right, it's Nicole Kidman's few Jackman. But also you know Ershley Yovic is in it, and there's also the young Nullah who's Brendan. Brendan. I want to say his last name. I don't know his last name, but deadly little actor. He really held that film together. But you want to know a secret about Australia, it's bas Lherman's least favorite film he's done. He told me that he didn't love it.
Speaker 2: Why did he shoot it? Then?
Speaker 1: Well, he had great aspirations, but I think there were problems with the production and the studio side of things that wanted it to be more Hollywood, and he wanted to be more grounded of Australia. And I think that it just became too much of a dramatized Hollywood film rather than the truth of the story. And yeah, he told me that, and I thought, Oh, I wonder how many people he said that too.
Speaker 2: But anyway, watch it. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But I don't remember many conversations with family about Nadoc Day though. You know, it was never something that was brought up to me by my white mum when I was younger, before I moved to back home to community in Little Dad. So there's not a lot of young memories of Nadok. But now that I've gotten older, and you know, I'm so much more aware of where this day came from. It came from a protest, you know, the day of Morning in nineteen thirty eight. NADOK stands for the National Aborigines, which we don't say anymore, but it stands for the National Aborigines and Irelander's Day Observance Committee. I wonder how many people know that. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe MOB know that. I think like when you get older and you start like getting more education around the you know the history of so called Australia, you do know that, But I don't think they know it's an observance committee. I think a lot of people think like day of Celebration, which is kind of what we see it as and what it's turned into and what it turned into. Yeah, and I think like that, you know what, I think that encompasses what MOB are like. You know, there's sometimes I think, you know, we can often constantly play in that discourse, but we are very celebratory, you know, MOB like, we we love celebrations who we are. And I think, like I love NATOK because of that reason, because I think it highlights all the good things. There obviously are some pretty like negative things, you know, we know that. Actually I was having not to go on another tangent. But I was having this yarn with mim Mia. Yeah, and I feel like I've got this like desensitization to death unfortunately, you know, grief, et cetera. But I said to her, well, you know, I've got a lower life expectancy to you, and she was like, yeah, but like you're healthy. I'm like no, but like I do, Like that's the reality and the fact. So you know, there's those horrible statistics of you know, life expectancy gap obviously. But I feel like this week and the theme this year is the next generation, Strength, Vision and legacy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you think about the theme when you heard it announced? Did you resonate with this?
Speaker 2: I love every single theme that we've ever had to It was the one where it was about the elders women elders. Because of her, Because of her, we can, That is my favorite because obviously, like yeah, because of her.
Speaker 1: That one really rang true to so many people, Like that is a theme that is stuck with a lot of people because of her, we can. That phrase is so powerful And I remember really celebrating you know, First Nations women that year, and I think that's that's such a powerful theme.
Speaker 2: What do you think of, you know, the next generation, what kind of legacy would you like?
Speaker 1: You know, I love this theme. I think it is about our future. So many of the conversations in our community and outside of our community about our communities is about our past, and I think that that is super important to recognize and for there to be truth telling and accountability when it comes to the past of our experiences as a community. But there's also the idea of hope when looking forward, and there is this idea of the next generation taking leadership and being in spaces that not necessarily in the past have been open for us or we've been invited to be a part of. So for me, the next generation, in the future generations, it's an exciting time for our people. I think that our ancestors would be so proud of the change that has been created, the people that have been the trailblazers that have pushed down the barriers to some of the parts of our society that we just weren't always a part of or welcomed in. And I think that there's been a lot of change. I truly believe that small conversations over a long period of time is a really great way to create change because there's learning that can be done between these conversations. And so when things take a little while and the conversation is continuous, I don't see it as a bad thing. I actually encourage these conversations that take a little bit of time and depth, because sometimes when you have moments of extremism and things change quickly, the learning and the key moments throughout the journey of you hate that word throughout the journey of learning.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but it's been a journey like for a mob, like you know, constantly having to go up against a system that wasn't built for you, like, and you know, being a black woman as well, like having to kind of navigate that being a part of a minority group, being a woman, being a black woman, It's like there's already something already obstructing, and I'm like, no, well, why don't we just like start making our own little tables.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think a lot of you can see that happening.
Speaker 2: You can absolutely see it. And I think one of the people that really inspires me is Leah Purcell, Like she is one of those black inspiring women that just goes and like just trojects forward and has no apology about it, and I'm just speaking on behalf of women, but I think there are so many beautiful black men out there as well that are like like yourself, like thriving in spaces and not asking for permission, like just going being like, well you don't have it, so I'm here, so let's do it, you know.
Speaker 1: I think that's the exciting part about this theme. It's the next generation. We have built such a strength within our community because of what we've been through in our lived experiences. That the strength, the vision, and legacy part of this theme I think resonates with so many of us because, as you know, our people are very resilient. I think that resilience isn't always something that I think you should strive to be because I don't know that having to push through barriers and challenges your whole life to be resilient is the goal. But it does provide you with a strength, and it provides you with this inner ability to be able to keep going. And I think that our community has, you know, so much of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think persistence is like one of the things that I would definitely say you and I both carry. But I think a lot of mob when they're up against these challenges or these obstructions and these like barriers. The mob that persist are the ones that reap the benefits. I think like they just like go through it and they're like, you know what. And I think persistence builds resilience. But I think the other things that build resilience is gratitude and like culture. I think those the two and connection. Isn't it crazy because like, I think everything that I've done, I've never gone a miss without being like grateful for the opportunity. But I also there's I also know that there's always more work to be done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think do you reckon? Like absolutely, Like the whole gratitude side of thing is such a unique, I think driving point of our community too, because one thing that I know that you will resonate with as well is that we never do it for ourselves. When we're doing things, there's such a bigger picture. It's not singular, it's community orientated. When we're pushing for change, if we're you know, trying to do things that will create you know, a positive impact, it's not just for us, it's for our communities. And I think that the whole vision part of this theme is about what is next, Like what is the vision that the young people, the new voices of our community want or want to see changed. And I think that that's an exciting thing because times are changing. It's not what do they say, We're not in Kansas anymore?
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell me something about all three of the theme. So we've got strength, vision, and legacy. Like, tell me one thing you would want from all of those?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, the strength I think I alluded to before, I think is a profound energy that we all hold a first Nation's pizza.
Speaker 2: That's a base, that's our foundation.
Speaker 1: Like that is we're strong people where we're seeing in people, where fighters for our community, where staunch, where we hold space not just for what we want as individuals, but for a huge community behind us. That takes a lot. Vision for me, is I really want to see black joy. I really want to see a lightness to our community in terms of.
Speaker 2: Us celebrating in the like in the shadows. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you Like for me, when I say lightness, what I mean is I know that our community has been through a lot. We hold a lot of trauma, intergenerational trauma. We also hold a lot of in quotation marks baggage from what's been done to our community. So my vision would be that there is a lightness that is in the future for our community that we can then show our black joy, our excitement instead of our death and our issues being the highlight of conversation. Yes, I want us to really be a community that is known for its love, care, culture, connection and not for the stats. The stuff course, that's right.
Speaker 2: The violence, the substance abuse, like all of those things that we struggle with, yeah, and the stereotypes. But there are other people that are struggling with similar things as well. But we are constantly put in that discourse and I agree with you, that's like fucking louder for the people in the back, honestly.
Speaker 1: And the legacy piece to this for me is really about what is it that you leave behind, even as a young person in the next generation, what is your legacy? What is it that will be left behind when you're gone? And I think that there's been where we work and breathe and stand on the shoulders of giants, there are people who have been doing the what.
Speaker 2: Does that phrase mean? Explain to people who don't know what that means there.
Speaker 1: Are people who have come before you who have done an immense amount of work, especially in my community. So I believe that there are you know, elders, our ancestors. They've had to go through a lot, they've had to triumph through so many challenges for our community, and they've done a lot of work that then we can reap the benefits of and continue. So for me, it is about taking you know, understanding that there's been a lot of great work that's been done in our community. There's been a lot of foundations that are built, and it's like carrying that on so that that's not lost. But the whole legacy part is, you know, when I think about what is important for me as a blackfellow, and I say like the black joy side of things and continuing the work that people have done before me, I also think about making sure that I'm walking the walk with staying connected to culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that being grounding and yeah.
Speaker 1: So that's something that I'm looking forward to doing this year through a really great program that I'm going to be a part of that actually gets to take me home to learn language. No, so language for me would be something that if someone said to me what's your future aspirations for your connection to your community. It would be to learn my language. Yeah, and I think that that's something that I'm really excited about because to be able to have the opportunity to connect on that level and be home on country learning my language. Oh, that's like that's a legacy that I would love to leave behind.
Speaker 2: Talking about language. Actually, I just remembered a little memory of mine in that time, Yeah, talking about Natoc And I remember that at school every end, you know how you do like an end of year, and everyone would showcase like a dance or like a some type of routine like whatever. I remember like doing that, and then they would have these like specific awards, and I'd always get the Aboriginal Yeah, Like it would just be like the best. Like it was so crazy. It's very tokenistic about coming, like you just.
Speaker 1: To just reminding keep going, but I'm going to show you something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I kept every so every award you got like a little gift. And those gifts for me were actually books, And this is just like unlocked a whole memory of mine. And the books that I got were always Blackfellow books. And the first book that I got was this six seasons, the Nungar seasons, and that incorporates so much language that you know, a nong Our girl living in Yamajee, I learned most of the Yamagie slang, so like my dialect was a bit different to when I came back home to Nongan country, which is my grandmother's country. I was like talking different slang and they're like, why are you saying that. That's like, you know, it's the energy world, and I'm like, yeah, but like I grew up in Carvin, which is yeah. But this Nunga book was like the only connection that I first initially had to Noungar language. So I started learning the six seasons, and I would constantly like flip through the pages and like try to recite all of these seasons. So it's crazy, I don't remember it now, but I constantly always google which season we're in at the moment because I think, you know, in terms of like just a side note, climate change, the seasons have shifted, but the thing that hasn't changed is the Nungar seasons are off. What's like the what animals are breeding, what animals are hatching, like, and there's such a great connection to agriculture and country and land that those seasons haven't changed. It is sort of it's you know, like I can tell. I'm like, oh, we're not in like in winter yet, like we're in that in between, you know. And I go back and I like.
Speaker 1: Check what I learned about that. And I did an episode on Getaway in Perth in King's Park. They have an actual guide that shares that information. But I wanted to.
Speaker 2: It was she's deadly, I love.
Speaker 1: Her, but I wanted to. You said, hey, you've got awards. So my brother sent me this photo. You probably can't see it, but a certificate that says first in Subject awarded to Matt Webb, which was you know my name in year nine and I was the first in subject for Aboriginal Studies. But this was like, oh look, this wasn't at the school where I was the only black fellow, so this actually means something like I was first in Aboriginal studies school that was like mostly black follows. So I got that and I was like, oh, I used to get all.
Speaker 2: Of those, like all those awards like follow the Dream would always give me like the yeah, it's so crazy, but I think like those little moments and those all memories and those I guess those not rewards but like little boosts of confidence, Like I think they really contribute to young people, Like I feel like it gives you that like okay, like I'm succeeding and I'm doing something really well. And I think young people need to have those because absolutely, you know, regardless of them being like these tokenistic Aboriginal awards, we don't really have them anymore. I think, like I think a lot of the education system i'd say lightly has evolved a little bit more than that, But I think they were really important to my self esteem and like building me up as a as a proud Aboriginal woman, Like I was like, this is as a.
Speaker 1: OSS and I know that you when you're in high school, you did a lot of like external like courses too, like not so much course but like.
Speaker 2: Extra curriculum like studies, tottering and blah blah blah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Twice a week I went to a program at TAFE which was called the Camillary Program, And it was like where I could go with other Black followers and we would get taken out of school and we would go and make artifacts and paint and take part in culture and learn language. So I did that for like a whole year, for two days a week instead of going to school, and that program kept me in school.
Speaker 2: Oh my, another memory has unlocked. You are unlocking them, lock in the memories.
Speaker 1: Holy shit.
Speaker 2: This reminds me again being in Canarvin, we would have this after school program, but it was because we were in care and so after school we would get taken to this house which was like this kind of I think it was like a department house and we would just do activities where we would cook like feeds, like I would bake something, I'd bet cookies or cakes or like cupcakes or whatever, and we would do art project. That's so crazy. Oh my god. Anyways, that's such.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 1: I think those you know, the next generation. Yeah, when it comes to this NADOC week, I just think that these are the things that really helped me when I was a young person, connecting with culture, other black followers, having community led programs like that program was community led. There were black fellow teachers in the program. So for me that those are the hopes for our generation at the moment, because I know that there are a lot of young black fellows who are quite lost or not sure that you know what to do with their lives at that pivotal age of you know, between twelve and eighteen. It's such a tricky time in your life as a young person, but just know that, you know, I think that there if that there is hope beyond those years because like I think, when you're that age, everything seems so big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so monumental kind of feeling.
Speaker 1: You know. So yeah, connect with community, connect with community programs. I know they're still out there, so yeah, yeah, I feel like, you know, as young Black fellows, being with communities one of the most important things. So when you can try and connect with local mob communities and initiatives, because it's always cool being able to create a sense of community as a young person too.
Speaker 2: How do people who aren't a part of the First Nations community sort of you know, support First Nations, people support natocwig. How can we encourage allies to, I guess show up for our community because absolutely we we we love it. Well obviously that's a given, but how do we get other people to understand that it's a great celebration for unity.
Speaker 1: It's a great week also to learn it's you know, there's so many Well, there's a few moments in the year where our communities is highlighted. And there's always the Gen twenty six conversation in the beginning of the year, and then there's you know, reck Week, Nay week uh, and then the Qurery knockout at the end of the year. Like there are these sort of.
Speaker 2: Knock out again you should be playing what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Step Step step Gone? What do they call it? Yeah, yeah, that was a good video.
Speaker 2: I am the you.
Speaker 1: But what I want to say to people outside of our community who want to connect, this is a great week to you know, go to a community event. There are so many things on around the country if you can't get out and about. Also watch the Natock Awards. The Lock Awards really will bring you a sense of joy seeing our community thrive happy you see how much talent there is involved in our community. Also, the humor of our community is something that I want highlighted because I'm like, we are cracked. If you love a good laugh, a belly laugh, you know, a big, gut guttural laugh, our community is always about that. So it's like connect with us at a local Nadock event or if you don't, you know, even if you don't even have any black fellow friends, which probably a lot of you don't have any blackfellow.
Speaker 2: Friends, well you got us, that's the main.
Speaker 1: You got us. Just go along to an event.
Speaker 2: There's the euro NADOC Family Funday at Carriage Works on the tenth of July in Sydney, so all our Queensland mob. There's the NADOK Careers Expo, which is a really nice like you know, it showcases all the Aboriginal businesses what you can support, if you need, if you wait, if you're even supporting young Indigenous mob, whether your teacher, youth worker, whatever. These are the best places to go connect with community services, so they're great. That's on the sixteenth of July the Kloncarrie Shire Hall in Queensland. Then there's the Power and Water NADOC Launch at the Raintree Park in the Northern Territory. So if you're you know, if you're from the NT mob on the seventh of July, head to that. But if you also want some other information, there's the NADOC dot org dot au which has all of the Nadock information you need, whether how to support it, things happening in community.
Speaker 1: And you know what if you're yeah, if you're the intersection or you know, an ally of the queen community. There's also the twenty twenty five Queen Nadoc which is hosted at Brisbane Powerhouse in Leamington Street in New Farm and that's hosted by good friend of mine Ben Miscellaneous Benny Gratz. I love Ben, so you know that'll be a hoot. That's on the fifth of July. But then, as I said, if you can't, you know, if you can't get out and about because you're not able to do that for any reason, you can always you know, put it on a Black Fellow film you know has that's on that's on online that shows our community. Or tune into the Natock Awards or the Fire Awards also in Brisbane. So there's so much you can do. Natock Week is about two weeks away, so we encourage you to, you know, put it in the planner, think about.
Speaker 2: Literally an hour of your time, like you know, it's not that much to ask, honestly, like we we love, we would love to see you there. I feel like, especially that Queensland event, I want to go to that quick.
Speaker 1: I know, maybe maybe we should have hosted it. We should have, but look, I'm I'm actually in Brisbane the night before so I could work out.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I could be there. Let's keep noted about that. That sounds fun.
Speaker 1: But also reach out to us if you want you know, any any if you want any suggestions, reach out directly. You can find us on socials have love.
Speaker 2: I know Baker Boy just released a new song. It's deadly as well and it's got Adam Briggs in the Brigs. Briggs. Yeah, check on a First Nations artists. Put some deadly clothes on, go to an event, send us a text message.
Speaker 1: Also, you know what, put your money where your mouth. He's make a donation to a black charity or buy black actual though no, we love it.
Speaker 2: There's so many First Nations businesses that you can support, and buying black only helps elevate our community and supports it. So thank you for your ally ship. We appreciate you guys, even if you're just listening to our podcast today. Thank you so much because that shows that you love us and you support First Nations Mob. So thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I also loved this episode. We didn't talk about the deficit of our community.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, I'm not I'm not.
Speaker 1: Talking about that. You know, that's me, you know, it's it definitely is important to highlight and make sure that people are aware that our community. You know, there are gaps that need to be closed, but right now I'm closing my gap.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening to First Nations.
Speaker 1: God, to all the First Nations people, thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you when I'm prim minifter, thank you chat, thank you so much for listening to First Things First. We love you guys. So if you love what you're here, you can follow us on our socials at Brooked Up Blutton and Maddie. It's Maddie Miles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, your mob have a great Native quick. I know it's in a couple of weeks, but get it in the planner. That's why we're doing this earlier. Yeah, alright, man, gone, gone, go on