Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, November twenty six, twenty twenty five. Labour's likely to take a light touch on regulating artificial intelligence when it unveils a national AI plan next week. That's an exclusive by The Australian's Ben Packham today. In a move the government's already discussed with unions, the government will likely avoid a system like the European Union, where there's a sweeping and strict code to apply to AI models. Australia system would likely be more case by case when issues arise. That story is live now at the Australian dot Com dot U. For one president to call another is a big deal. When it's China's Shijinping Ringing Donald J. Trump, both men who like to be the most powerful person in any inversation, it sends the analysis into overdrive. So what did the presidents discuss in their call and what does it all mean? Greg Sheridan, is here you ready to talk about China?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, It's like a quiz.
Speaker 1: Every day I bring you up and grill you about something else.
Speaker 2: Nice variety of subjects.
Speaker 1: That's good to This call will be recorded. Greg Sheridan is The Australian's Foreign editor. Greg Donald Trump and Shi Jinping have spoken on the phone. Reports are emerging from Washington, DC that it was President she who called Donald Trump. Does it matter who called who when leaders speak at this level, not.
Speaker 2: Really, No, No, it doesn't really matter. It's good in a way that they're speaking. But the danger has always been that Trump is prone to being flattered, and he has a weakness for very strong leaders talking to him, and both Hi Jinping and Vladimir Putin seem to be pretty good at manipulating him pretty well. You know, in principle, you've got to be happy that they speak. But the other concerning thing about this, though, is there seems to be a lack of transparency. Hi Jinping revealed that they talked about Taiwan. Trump didn't mention that. I must say that instinctively makes me a bit worried.
Speaker 1: You don't think you just forgot.
Speaker 2: No, I certainly don't think he just forgot. There's a tremendous challenge in reporting Trump because he is really a mixed grill. He does some good things, some things better than other people have done in the office, but he does some terrible things. Two. I mean, I think this piece deal that he's trying to foist on Ukraine is a shocking betrayal and very much against America's interests and Ukraine's interests and the interests of democracy and so on. Now, there's always been the worry that Trump might do a similar deal over Taiwan with Shu Jinping. We're certainly not at that point yet. But you know, one thing you can't rely on from Trump at all is clarity or consistency.
Speaker 1: They seemed to have discussed a number of topics in this phone call. One of them was Ukraine. What's China's skin in that particular game.
Speaker 2: Well, China has been absolutely critical in enabling Russia to prevail in the Ukraine conflict, and America has imposed no significant cost on China for doing this. So in the early days of American and European sanctions and Ukraine's much fiercer than expected military resistance and effort, the Russian economy was in a lot of trouble, a great deal of trouble. Now, the thing that sustained it more than anything else was its Chinese lifeline. It did huge trade with China huge energy exports. It also imported a great deal of technology from China, which at the very least was what they call dual use technology, that is to say, technology which is ostensibly for peaceful purposes but is easily converted for military purposes. And China gave cover to Iran in North Korea to provide military supplies to Russia. And China also encouraged the Global South to continue trading with Russia. So China has been Russia's best friend through all this conflict and has paid really no price. And Russia now looks as though it's winning, and China would be delighted at that. And if in the end Trump wants to China to give a benediction to his coercion of Ukraine into a one sided peace agreement, that's not something that fills your heart with joy either.
Speaker 1: One of the issues that, as you say, Shijinping said that they spoke about was Taiwan. The Chinese kind of read out of this phone call said that President she reiterated that Taiwan's return to China was an important component of the post war international order, and said that mister Trump affirmed that the US understands the importance of the Taiwan issue to China. Those are platitudes, But what does it mean beneath the surface? Do you think there greg the fact that this issue was discussed at all in a conversation, perhaps that was initiated by President she Well, the truth is clear.
Speaker 2: I often have to give you this answer. The truth is I don't know, but neither does anybody else. Trump is so waybile, so mercurial, so unpredictable. You know. They're a very good book by his former national security advisor John Bolton, in which he says that he expects Trump to do a deal which sells Taiwan out, because Trump in private kept saying, look, how tiny the Taiwan market is compared to the China market. So Trump does see things very much in me cantillist terms. Now, it's been an object of American foreign policy forever, since nineteen forty nine, that Taiwan should not be conquered by mainland China. It will be a shocking thing in principle if this happened. There are twenty three twenty four million people in Taiwan. They live in a twenty four carot democracy, free elections, free change of power, civil liberties. I think it's the only Asian country where gay marriage is legal. You know, it's just a twenty four carot liberal democratic society. It's been ruled by Beijing four years since eighteen ninety five, from nineteen forty five to ninee forty nine, who has never been ruled by the Communist Party, And there is no justification in international law or geostrategic consideration, anything else for Beijing to invade Taiwan to take it over. If Beijing does that and succeeds, I think that's pretty much the end of the American security order in the Pacific, diabolical consequences for Australia. It also gives China massive military power projection capabilities. But what Trump is showing us is that basically he's unlikely ever to fight for Taiwan. He's unlikely ever to fight for anything. The sad acronym Taco Trump always chickens out, it seems, is pretty true. So people say, but look what he did with Iran. But in fact, he did one bombing raid with Iran after Israel had won the war. Now you know, I praised him for it because it made it more likely that Iran's nuclear program was severely damaged, but he took no risk there Israel took all the risk. And Trump always identifies with a winner. Trump identifies with the strong against the weak. You know that, I think is why he's instinctively sympathetic to Russia against Ukraine, and why he's instinctively sympathetic to China against Taiwan. But having said all of that, Trump is completely unpredictable, and sometimes when he comes up with a bad position he changes that after a week or two as well, because certainly there would be tremendous hostility within his own party and with an American society to conceding Taiwan to Beijing. So Trump will treat this as an ongoing negotiation and an ongoing calculation. He will be sniffing the wind and looking at what's politically viable. He's weaker now than he was six months ago. His magabase is starting to fracture a little bit. The Republicans were savaged in recent off year elections. Now that is a real witch's brew, and we just don't know what it's going to issue in. What he doesn't do is provide a very stable system of deterrence. The best way to keep the peace in Taiwan is to convince the Chinese that the cost of action would be prohibitive. He doesn't do that, But the Chinaes have to take into account the fact that America might react, even though Trump gives every indication that they won't. Nonetheless, you know, anything is possible with Trump, and the Chinese have to take that into account, as does everyone else.
Speaker 1: President g used the call to say something which is becoming familiar from China, which is reminding the US that China and America forought side by side against fascism and militarism during World War Two. Presumably that's code for Japan. And of course Japan's new Prime Minister has said some very strong things about China's potential invasion of Taiwan that if that happens, Japan would consider itself obliged to have a military response. Is that part of the reason do you think greg for President she inviting President Trump for a state visit? Is this all about keeping Japan at bay?
Speaker 2: Well, China is very hostile to Japan. The mutual antipathy between China and Japan is absolutely visceral, and it extends far beyond the two governments. So these two nations really detest each other and they have a long history of military conflict. But of course the Chinese Communist Party didn't do much fighting alongside the Americans against imperial Japan. It was the Kuomintang, the people who went and set up Taiwan. They did all the fighting against Japan. The Communist Party largely sat in the sidelines, and when the Kuomintang was weakened by their efforts of fighting Japan, they then came in and drove the Kuomintang out and won the Chinese Civil War. So this piece of history is kind of bizarre for China to use that. And since World War Two, Japan has been an exemplary international citizen and an exemplary ally of the United States. Now, Japan would only ever take military action over Taiwan in alliance with the United States. So what the Japanese Prime Minister was doing, she was trying to bolster American to terrence by letting the Chinese know that not only could they face the Americans if they tried to invade Taiwan, but they could probably face America's allies too. Japan in particular, but also potentially South Korea and Australia and even the Philippines. Now that's an important strategic move that bolsters de terrence. But if America itself has lost interest in de terance, of course, Japan can't de China on its own, neither and Australia. But the reference to World War II history, you could imagine Trump, in one of his fits of historical revisionism, deciding that really Japan is the villain and China is the friend, just as he's sort of decided that Ukraine is the villain. You know, so Russia invades Ukraine without any provocation or justification whatsoever, slaughters hundreds of thousands of people and Annex's territory, and Trump blames Ukraine for starting the war. So the bizarre sort of historical excursion which Beijing is offering here, you know, we fought together against the invasion of other countries by imperial Japan. Therefore you should support our invasion of another country. It's the sort of crackpot formulation which Trump could possibly find useful. But on the other hand, it defies history. Really, and the people who set up tagwe were much better allies of the United States than the Chinese communists ever were. But you can see what she is doing. You can see that that might provide Trump with one of his crazy pretexts for saying, really, our ally is the villain here, not our enemy coming up?
Speaker 1: So what do reciprocal state visits for these two superstar show ponies look like? Both these guys love a bit of pomp and circumstance and a display of military hardware. They'll be swapping state visits in twenty twenty six. Does that concern you, Greg? Is it a bad look in this delicate time for President Trump to be in Beijing watching a parade of people go stepping up and down and vice versa.
Speaker 2: Look, it's not a bad thing to host the China as president, So people who wanted to tour China are not looking for an endlessly tense one minute to midnight sort of atmosphere. But the thing is, you want to have a dialogue with China, which is respectful. Nobody wants to bring President She to Washington and then beerate him and humiliate him and everything. An America never does that. Well, Trump does that sometimes, but America generally doesn't do that. But at the same time, you've got to keep a sense of strategic purpose about such a dialogue. Previous presidents have done this fine. You know, George W. Bush a host of China's visitors. There was no doubt that George W. Bush remained very formidable strategically. You know, he didn't give away the shop for the sake of a visit. But with Trump, you just don't know. I mean, he is so besotted by big, powerful leaders. And of course one of the very ugly things about the Trump presidency is the number of nations with which he is doing private business on his own behind for on behalf of his media empire, so to speak. And the Chinese and the Russians I would think are both likely to be offering him great deals. You know, Putin says we can do great business together. And Trump's appalling peace plan involved America taking profits from Ukraine's recovery. I mean, it's almost too grotesque to think about, really, And who knows what private Trump interests that play there. I mean, in previous negotiations, Arab nations have invested in the Trump family, bitcoin products and so forth. Although Trump says he's at arm length from his family's business, now that does seem to be part of how you deal with Trump. That doesn't guarantee you get what you want, but that's part of the equation. And the Chinese and the Russians they are past masters at buying people off with that kind of consideration. So that's pretty worrying as well. I mean, the lack of transparency with which everything is conducted under Trump, it gives rise to this kind of concern. So there's everything to be worried about in this romance between Trump and Chi Jinping. But having said all that, it's basically a sensible thing for the president of China and the President of the United States to talk. One of the problems with Trump is that he's either spitting better at you or he's all over you like a rash, like with the mayor of New York, the new mayor of New York. Before he was elected, he was a deranged communist. Now he's a very impressive man who's going to do a great job in New York. Well, it's no bad thing for the president to have a civil relationship with the Mayor of New York. But what value, then, can you place on Trump's words. I've always been confused by Trump loyalists by their ability to just jump on a tram going in one direction, jump off that, and then jump off a tram going in the opposite direction without missing a breath. You know, it's extraordinary. You've got to admire it in a way.
Speaker 1: Well, we know they all love winners. Great Sheridan, thank you very much, don't you. Claire Greek Sheridan is The Australian's Foreign editor. You can read all his analysis, plus our reporting from around the world, right now at the Australian dot com dot au