Speaker 1: We'd like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which this podcast was produced, the Gadigall people of the orination. We pay our respects to Elder's past and present.
Speaker 2: Sister picks up the phone and basically says, I have your brother Nigel with Amandolind out. We're demanding one point five million dollars each US so three million dollar ransom demand. If you don't pay within the next twenty four hours, we'll execute them.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Headgame.
Speaker 4: My yesterday is Nigel Brennan, who survived being kidnapped in Somalia two thousand and eight, was working as a photojournalist to hear part one of this incredible story. I'll drop the link in the show notes. Here's the second half of my conversation.
Speaker 3: With Nigel Brennan.
Speaker 4: Did they think that it was a frank? What was the reality back home when they got that phone call?
Speaker 2: So, I hadn't told any of my family what I was doing, so I'd literally told two mates I went to university that what I was about what I was planning to do. So I told mom I was going to Kenya. Somm was like no, no, Nigel's in Kenya, He's not in Somalia, and I think nat my brother grabbed an Atlas and you know, obviously I opened up Africa and was like, look, mom, Somalia.
Speaker 3: Is right next to Kenya exactly.
Speaker 2: And the fact that they'd said Amanda's name, and I obviously had relationships with Amanda a few years earlier. They were like, yeah, basically all the dots coming to other together. This is the likelihood is Nigel is in Somalia with Amanda.
Speaker 4: And when was the first time that the Australian Embassy was informed? Was it shortly after did your family call the Australian Embassy?
Speaker 2: My family called I believe Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade directly after that uncle and said, We've just received a phone call saying that Nigel's been kidnapped. And I believe Defat's response was, we cannot either confirm or deny whether Nigel has been kidnapped or not.
Speaker 3: Wow, So yeah they knew.
Speaker 2: Which again was I think the cat mouse with the family and the Australian government that went on for the next twelve months, which from my point of view, coming home and saying what my family had to deal with in terms of dealing with the Australian government. Was really frustrating?
Speaker 3: Was it? So? Straight away Amanda gets sexually assaulted? What happens to you? Does anything like that happen to you?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 3: Any beatings any.
Speaker 2: No beatings basically mock executions.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 2: During the abduction, we won't blindfolded or anything like that. Just the fear, I think is someone coming in with an AK forty seven and sort of sitting it on the lap pointing at you and morning information. Obviously five months into Ara or do we escape?
Speaker 3: Tell me about that? Wow? Wow?
Speaker 4: So I talk about conjuring up a plan. Maybe due to my training, I started straight away.
Speaker 3: So after a.
Speaker 4: Few months, you obviously get to know the guards, you get to know the location, You get to know a bit of a routine.
Speaker 3: Yep, how does that pan out?
Speaker 4: And when do you decide right, it's time to get out of here?
Speaker 2: The escape came around really after our three colleagues had been taken out of the house and never returned. So let me go back a little bit. Amanda and I convert to Islam after ten days as a survival technique. I guess we were kept together for the first two months, and then we're actually separated after two months. Their reasoning is, as a Muslim man and a woman that are unmarried, we shouldn't be sharing the same room. It's a way for them to conquer and divide. I think apply them more pressure. Some of my concern for a man to sort of INTENSIFIESE at that stage because I'm not in a room and I can't protect her. During the next three months of our separation, she's taken out twice and they basically do mock execution before they put her on the phone.
Speaker 3: So she's getting the brun of everything.
Speaker 4: Basically, yes, and it's always pick one. It's a technique that they use. They always pick one to try and break the other down.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the reason I'm guessing at this, but when we were first taken in the kidnap for ransom world extortion response, Well, we talk about I guess putting a safety net under hostages, like offer a small amount of money to keep hostages safe. So my dad had basically put twenty five thousand dollars straight on the table. So when the head guys used to come in and talk to me, they would say, your situation is good, stray and government is working with this Canadian government's causing problems. So I think the kidnappers had sort of used that as a way to really apply pressure to Amanda and her family.
Speaker 4: And also show you know, if you play ball, this how you get treated. If you don't, then this is how you get treated. Absolutely is a massive head game, massive head head fun, should we say, it's messes with your mind and you know, almost to the point where you know you want to be on your side, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're separated. I think Amanda and I were allowed to sit together on two occasions. I think the first time was for about four hours. The next time was for two hours. And as a I guess as a hostage or a prisoner, you work out very quickly ways of communicating when you're separated, and you know, started through knock codes, and we were leaving little messages for each other in the toilet in the back bathroom that we shared in this house. But you do get into a rhythm. We were sort of moved every four to six weeks to a different house, and we were somewhere in the north of mogad Issue, so there was always a routine on how we are moved stage at Abdy and the two drivers are still in the house. They're being sort of kept in another room in complete darkness. I can see them from our room occasionally and sort of wave, and he's Abdy sort of saying, where's the money? Oh?
Speaker 3: Really, well yah, thinking about himself. Pay now so we can get the hell out of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'd always like, we talked about escape, and I'd been looking at the house that we're in and it's like, is there a way of getting out? And you know, you've got a two foot high wall with razor wire on it, that's not a possibility. I'd looked. I'd been able to sort of sneak out of my room. We were never locked in our rooms. The doors were always shut and you just had guards that would sort of roam occasionally, so you never sort of really knew when they were going to come past. So I looked in the kitchen, could see up into a manhole and could see that the tin roof and was like, maybe we can punch our way through there and do a bolt. And it's like, well, no, that's going to be too noisy. But Amanda and I had discussed, I guess, particularly after her I guess, fake assassination, some sort of things that they've done on her, the possibility of escaping, and for me it was like, well, again, didn't feel ethically right for the two of us to get out, and the three Somarians would end up as collateral damage potentially, So once they were taken out of the building one night, next morning, Jamal, one of our young captors, came in and I said, where's Abdi, where are the two drivers, And he'd explained that they had been released back to their families. And every morning our windows were open, and Amanda and I used to knock up the wall to come to the window so that we could communicate with each other secretly in quiet voices, and both of us were really excited, sort of saying, oh, this is great, like finally something's starting to happen. If they've released them, this is a good sign. And again, yet your head starts to play tricks on you, and it's like, well, hang on. If they were released and their locals, they would know where we're being held, and the group would probably want to move us fairly quickly so that we're in another location. And captors didn't seem in any sort of rush to nervous, so then it's like, you know, you start overthinking things. And then another young captor came in who terrified me. This young guy absolutely scared the shit out of me. And I said to him, I said, oh, it's great news that Abdy's and the other guys have been released to their family. And he laughed in my face and he said, who told you that? And I said, Jamal And he said, well, Jamal alighted. He said they were handed over to al Shabob last night and this morning all three of them were beheaded for working with for working with Westerners. And again it's that.
Speaker 3: Mine game mind.
Speaker 2: Game, like it's like and by that stage, like the windows, our windows had been closed, so I couldn't communicate with a Manda. But you know, for the next fourteen hours, it's just like that's probably the Yeah, those guys are no longer here. Let's basically just so.
Speaker 4: You forged your plan to escape it.
Speaker 2: Actually it went really well to start off with. So where Amanda was bang held in her room, she looked straight down the hallway to where our guards were situated on the front ferranda, and her eyesight was obviously quite poor, but with a little pin hole in the middle door she could see down to the front. So whenever we wanted to go to the toilet, we had to bang on our door and wait for a guard to come and basically, so, yeah, you can go. So by this stage I'd learn a little bit of Arabic. I'd learned some Somali just you know, please, thank you. Can I go to the toilet? Can I speak to this person? Can you please help me? I had learned a couple of sewers of the Koran, how to say the profession of faith, those sorts of things. So I'd been looking at our bathroom and it was about six foot off the ground. Obviously best of brick sort of blocks, but the lattice style ones that you could look through that they use in Africa. Had looked at that and could just see it was dabbed with mortar on the corners. The problem was there was these five metal bars running across in front of them. So I thought, I'll jump up on one of those bars and pull myself up onto the window. And as I jumped up, the whole thing sort of slid. So I was like, oh, it's not cool, field like that move. So I basically sort of quietly pushed and pulled it until I could see the end of the metal, and then bent the piece of metal and could get it out, And I said to Amanda, went back and knocked on the door and we went to the window. I said, right, I got away. I need you to be my eyes and ears. So I'm basically going to sneak out of the room. If you see someone coming, you bang on the door so that we want to go to the toilets. I had a little pair of ail clippers with one of the little files that came out at the end, and over the next two and a half days basically chiseled out this mortar, took out two of the bars, went back after two and a half days and said to Amanda, right, we're good to go. What's the plant?
Speaker 3: Wow? For sure? You grab her?
Speaker 2: And well, pretty much once I was separated from Amanda, I was allowed to go outside once a week for an hour and do washing, and could obviously see planes before they sort of disappeared behind the wall. And thought that must have been Mogadishu Airport, because we knew we were fairly close to Mogadishu. So I said to Amanda right, let's go after we both agreed that we would go after final prayer, we'd get out basically very quietly, and then just run in that direction. The problem with that is Mogadishu streets aren't like normal Western streets that are nice and long that it's like a rabbit warren. So I said to Amanda, basically, after final prayer, you knock on the door, I'll follow you out truck and trailer into the bathroom. I'll take out the bars, take out the blocks, and bang week and slip out. So first attempt, get the blocks out, get the bars out, push Amanda up onto the ledge of the window, and she's contorting herself, and she turns around. She says, I can't fit, and I'm just like, fuck yeah, fuck you got to you gotta get out, like this is our chance. And realize that she can't fit, like I need to out another bar and it's too noisy, So send Amanda back to her room. And then so I'm sitting in this bathroom looking at this gaping hole in the wall and knowing that, you know, one of the guards could walk into the bathroom at any stage. Then over the next four hours, I basically feign that I have diarrhea and that I need to go to the bathroom again and again as I rebuild the best of book We're all and put the rods in. Finally do it, fall asleep, have the best night's sleep of my entire captivity, and wake up in the morning, go and basically remove them another bar without ovn Amanda knowing, and then said, right, got a new plan because she had explained that whilst they were taking her out on one of those fake assassinations. She said, basically the streets were lined with mass you know, with guys with AK forty seven's And I was like, we're going to literally get out of the house and run straight into potentially al Shabob or something like that. And I said, look, we're Muslim. There's a mosque right on top of us. Because the call to prayer was so loud, I said, if I was in a West country and I couldn't go to the police, I'd go to a church because hopefully you'd find people there that would help you. So I said, today's Thursday, tomorrow's Friday, busiest day of the Muslim week. Let's go on Friday. And she said, love the idea but what happens if they're nervous Tonight?
Speaker 3: I was just like, fuck you, yeah, that seed of doubt? Yeah, why did you put it there?
Speaker 2: So I said, right, let's go midday today. We'll go same thing. Basically, follow her out into the bathroom, throw all the blocks out, throw the three bars out, watch her disappear. I jump out, throw our bags out, throw my shoes out, get onto the ground, pulling on my shoes, and like, I'm thinking we're going to have a minute or two head start, and this kid next door basically starts screaming in Somali, and I literally pull on my shoes, put on my my camera bag, and run and again, like my brain just goes to complete mush. And so we're sort of in between two houses, our house in the next door neighbor's house, which I could have touched putting a hand through the window. Run down between the two houses. No turning left will take us back to the front gates of our compound, so the only option is to turn right. And I just literally it's like I'm running on air. I just sprint. I have no idea where Amanda is. Come past our next door neighbors compound. I look over my shoulder and I can see this guy standing at his front compound gate and he says in English, what are you doing? And I just keep running. You know, it computes, but I don't respond. I get to a teener section, I can see the mosque minarets. I look to my left, I can see like a main road with lots of markets, and I just think safety in numbers, So I turn left and I start running, so not going to the mosque, which.
Speaker 3: Is completely just making up asub oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I hear Amanda saying what are you doing? And I basically do a one eighty run pass back her. Get to that teen A section again and the next on aber is standing there and he says do you need help? And I'm like, just grab him under the arm and I said, we've been kidnapped. By this stage, Amanda catch us up and we're like, can you please help us? Can you take us to the mask? Whereas it is like it's it's literally right there, So we basically sprint to the mask, run up the side stairs, and just as we're about to enter, there's a warning shot from an AK forty seven behind us that goes over our heads run into the mosque and there's obviously men everywhere, and I start saying in Somali like I win, I win, I win, please help, please help, please help one a Muslim one day Muslim, I'm Muslim, we are Muslim, and then say the profession of faith bism LAHI I'll rock money him. And then two other guys, older gentlemen, Somali gentlemen, come over and they're speaking English to us. And then the next thing, I just get king hit from behind like a coward punch so Jamal and Abdullah who was the younger angry guard or obviously seconds behind us. So Jamals punched me in the back of the head. He's now got me by the arm and he's trying to pull me back out the door. And I ripped the sleeve off my shirt. Amanda has a hijab ripped off, and he's got Amanda by the back of the hair and he's trying to pull her out. And then these three older Somali men just grabbed these two young kids who've got AK forty seven's on them, and just grabbed them by the throat and push them up against the wall and they're screaming at them. And then this crowd sort of envelops us and somebody else is speaking English. You know, who are you? What's happened? You know, I'm Nigel Brennan Strain photojournalists. We've been kidnapped for the last five months. You're Muslim. One a Muslim, We are Muslim. Do you want to pray? It's like, yeah, I want to pray. I've never prayed in a mosque. So they sort of push us into the middle of the mask and then they put us into the pulpit and were sitting there and it's I sort of say, it's like the Bush Telegraph goes out that there's obviously two Westerners now in the north of Mogadishue, and more people are sort of flooding in to get a look at us. Yeah, I'm pulling out my Koran. And we received a care package was while we were still together. But one of the books was A Thousand Splendid Sons and in that book they talk about how Muslims kiss the book and put it to their head. And I'm like, oh, this is obviously what you do is Muslim. So I've got my crown. I'm doing that and the Somalis are looking at me, like what is this weird doing? So I'm pulling out all my religious books. I got the dry straight, you know. I think from fear and stress and shock. And I can remember looking over my left shoulder in the pulpit and there's a window there and I can see big black figure and I'm like, can we play shut those windows? Because I thought someone was just going to stick a gun through and shoot us. And it was actually a woman, So they close the windows. That woman actually pushes her way into the mosque and comes and sits between Amanda and myself. So there's like mayhem going on. It's hard to describe, sort of just trying to talk to people understand what's going on, saying I guess the fear that's in the building as well. At one point where everyone starts to run away from us, and as they spread out, I can see guys just racing in with AK forty seven's and mass faces, and it's just.
Speaker 4: Like, you know what, if I didn't know that you were captive for fifteen months, then I'd hold a bit of hope for you.
Speaker 3: But obviously you're handed back over right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were recaptured. I think my fear at that moment. Look, part of the escape for me was like I'm going to take back control. If I'm going to die in Somalia, I'm actually going to make someone work for it. I'm just going to take a buller in the back of the head, like you're going to have to kill me. But I think the reality of watching these guys now flood and it was just like this is going to end in an absolute blood bath, Like so many people are going to die here today, not just us, but locals as well. So a man is trying to communicate with this woman basically points it herself, then uses the international sign for fornication and points at one of the young guards, and this woman starts screaming. And then the next minute I see our head guys come through the side door with pistols and guns and stuff.
Speaker 3: They sort of.
Speaker 2: Walk around the crowd, come back behind us, you know, getting smashed by the butt of a pistol. So I sort of go into fetal position. Amanda gets grabbed by the hair and she's sort of dragged past me over to the other side of the mosque where there's a set of doors. Like I'm trying to watch what's going on with her, trying to protect myself, and then maybe ten to fifteen seconds later, I just tear a single gunshot and I'm like, fuck, they've just executed her. Like that's all that I can think, and the reality of my life is pretty much I've got minutes to live.
Speaker 3: I reckon.
Speaker 2: So the guys that have taken Amanda come back again. I'm kicked and punched, and then i feel someone grabbed me by the ankles and I'm then dragged basically to the front doors of the mosque, drag down some concrete steps, and it was so weird. I sort of explained this as a moment of clarity where I was really clear I wasn't scared of dying, but it was just like, I really wish I could just call mom and Dad and tell them how much I love them and how sorry I am for the anxiety and the pain that I've caused for the last five months.
Speaker 3: Wow, he's expecting everything to end that Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, gets sort of picked up by six or eight guys above heads and I can see the gates of the courtyard of the moskue and I realized once I'm off hellow turf, like they're going to execute me get through those gates, sort of look over to my left, can see the two vehicles that we're always transported in. Can see Amanda in the back seat, still fighting, trying to trying to get away. She's alive yet, so it's just like, oh my God, like sweet relief. I'm bundled in beside Amanda, Abdullah and Jamal, the two young guards, jumping beside each of us. I can see that Amanda's taken a punch to the face because her eyes starting to sort of swell up, and she looks at me. She's got this stupid grin on her face and she goes, fuck, that was intense.
Speaker 5: Still breaks the silence, right, yeah, And then looking at Dulla, the young guy who pulls his pistol out and puts it in his mouth, and basically, you know, fakes pulling the trigger, and it's just like right, they're probably just.
Speaker 2: Going to drive us out unto the bush now and execute us away from eyes and ears, and we're taken to another house interrogated for I think, you know, it seemed like about three hours. And then at the end of that interrogation, a young one of the young guards walked in with a bag of chains and padlocks, and then they basically padlocked our legs together.
Speaker 3: Things changed drastically.
Speaker 4: From the moment you try to escape, you're treated differently, no more mister nice guy. And then for the next ten months onwards, you're living in hell basically.
Speaker 2: So for the next eleven months, those chains were taken off for a total of two hours.
Speaker 3: Wow, so you're completely chained up.
Speaker 2: You're chained up, not allowed to exercise, basically, forced to lie or sit twenty four hours a day. The only time I can get up is to wash for prayer. If I want to go to the bathroom, I've got to knock a cup on the floor. And it's you know, they they don't even use my Muslim name at that stage, so just that means that means I can go to the toilet. So it's it's luck you become this animal in some noah, noah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: At the start, they called me Muhammad, and they used to be like Muhammed, Mohammed, Muhama. And I'm like, oh, you're talking to me, yeah, yeah, because you're so used to your know, yeah, And I said, can I at least have something that starts with and then so yeah, that for the next eleven months, it was it became I guess me trying to change my mindset of I think having had Amanda for those first two months, it was and it was amazing to go through that experience with someone. And in the first weeks I was really negative and she was like, if you if you think we're going to die here, we will die here if that's the energy you're putting out. So for me it was about, Okay, how do I take control of this situation? Like, yes, I can't determine when I go to the toilet or when I eat, or go outside and see the sun and the sky and those sorts of things. But it's like they can beat the shit out of me, they can threaten me. The only thing that they can't actually touch is my mind.
Speaker 4: And that's take away from me as a way, I think, yeah, your mind? Yeah, so liberating? Is that? Oh?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 2: And that was such a powerful thing to be able to change your mindset and look when you're stuck in four walls for fourteen hours a day, and that's the way I looked at it. I broke my date and myself it was like, it doesn't matter what happened yesterday, It doesn't what happens tomorrow. All I can basically control is what I do in the next four day hour is because you would wake up at six o'clock in the morning for prayer and then final prayer was it at seven o'clock or eight o'clock at night. It's like I've just got to fill the next four nine hours sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: What are you sleeping on.
Speaker 2: A tiny little like mattress and a mosquito net and basically a pillowcos filled with clothes.
Speaker 4: Wow, So after sixteen months fifteen months.
Speaker 3: You get released? Yep? How does it come about?
Speaker 4: Is it one of those where it's just a case of you get a knock on the door and it's like you're going home?
Speaker 3: Or did they preempt you.
Speaker 2: We'd had a discussion maybe three four weeks earlier with Upmed, one of the head guys, and he'd come in and said, if everything goes to plan tonight, you'll be released. That didn't happen. The next time I saw him and said, your family has basically broken its promise. We're now going to sell you on, so you're to al Shabab. So they've offered to me in us. They have a bigger organization. They can move you around the country, they can hold you for as long as they want. Which was terrifying to think that I'd created this relationship with thirteen people to then go to a new organization of people I didn't know. It was like basically starting from scratch again. And then one day we so we'd then moved to Keshmeo, and then we'd been moved back to mogad Issue and they came in and basically said stand up, don't ask questions. They tried to unlock the padlocks, and because they've been on for so long and they'd rusted, so they had to go and find a haxle to cut them off. And I kept saying to Abdullah the young guys, like what's going on, and he just said, don't ask questions. Was told to strip, put on new clothes, and then was frog marched out of the room put into a car, and I could see Amanda in the courtyard. They were doing the same thing to her, cutting off her chains, and she was put into the car beside me, and it's just like, what's going on. Neither of us knew. We're taken out of that compound, driven to a petrol station where they refilled the car, and Ahmed was there, and I'd made this loose agreement, and I think he'd done this with Amanda as well, Like there was if they released us, we had to basically agree to five things. One would be that we would pay them more money once we got back to our countries, wouldn't talk about our experience, we would never leave the religion of Islam. There was and he just said, look, do you still agree on those five things. It's like, yeah, here's a document sign it.
Speaker 3: It's like, there you go.
Speaker 2: We then sort of drive into the night, pick up another car in a convoy, and we end up pulling up in the darkness, basically in the middle of nowhere. There's a station wagon car there. We're taken out of our vehicle, thrown into that too. Obviously, Somalian guys in the front seat ask who we are, our names, sort of identify ourselves. Phone calls made, and just before we drive off, because I didn't had taken mik around at this stage, and I said, no, no, that's my Holy book. I need it because I thought we're about to be handed over to al Shabab. Abdullah basically opened the door, through it on my lap, close the door, and then we drove off. So we're now in a car with two complete strangers, drive along a dirt road, turn left onto a bitchamin road. We're absolutely flying along, and then two Toyota tray backs sort of come out of nowhere with fifty kel guns on the back of them, and then we're surrounded by about fifty guys in Savilian clothing with AK forty seven's and I'm like, this can't be happening again. Another Toyota pulls up. We're dragged out of our car put into that, and both Amanda and I are pretty hysterical by this stage because we don't know what's going on. And the guy's like, why are you so upset? And it's like, well, I don't know if I said it or I thought, it's just like, well, I don't see any white people. Yeah, and he's like, no, no, you've been You've been released, and it's like, still don't believe this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't compute, and.
Speaker 2: It wasn't until he pulled out a phone and obviously dialed some numbers and gave the phone to Amanda, and then she spoke to her mum and said, you guys have been released. We've finally negotiated a price.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Avansom was paid yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so about six hundred and seventy five thousand US dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow when that all came from your parents' pocket? Yeah? Better than three million dollars, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Look the other thing that when my family left the Australian government, they employed a private K and R company for three months and their cost was about the same as the ransom, so it was it was close to a one point three million dollar experience.
Speaker 3: And did you adhere to the five rules? Any of them? None?
Speaker 4: None make you out of contract.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well it's funny because I've met an email with me shortly after I got home and he's like, we have an appointment to speak. So I just got that straight to the Australian Federal Police to see if they could track him down.
Speaker 4: Look.
Speaker 2: Out of the whole thing, there was only one guy that was ever arrested, which was Adama guy that was obviously the communication expert for the kidnap group. He was arrested in Canada.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: And a quick question before we finish, do you think it was an inside jobby.
Speaker 3: Do you think you were stitched up?
Speaker 2: I think everything is sort of it's in that direction because our kidnappers said they knew that there were four journalists working in two teams. They knew exactly how many drivers we had, they knew exactly how many security detail But one thing that Upmed did say to us very early on, I think in the first couple of months. He said, we were actually expecting two men, one of them was French and one of them was Belgium. But we knew the Belgian guy was actually an American citizen, which was the National Geographic Team.
Speaker 3: Wow, so you weren't even.
Speaker 2: We weren't even. So they said they were incredibly surprised to say a female in the car. And what we didn't realize was when the morning we left, the NATGO team had actually made a detour to stop somewhere so we'd become the lead car.
Speaker 4: Shit.
Speaker 3: Luck.
Speaker 4: Wow, one point three million dollars later, and how are your parents right now? They're really good.
Speaker 2: Look, it absolutely took its toll on my family. Yeah, financially, you know, when you when you're dealing with I guess a loved one and I think in the kidnap game as well. You know, a family will do whatever they can to get of course a member of their family back. And I think their struggle was obviously dealing with with the Australian government. But yeah, look, I think they were incredibly happy to get me home. I know my brother Han got me a big hung He said, I love you, but you're a fucking idiot. And he said, I'm giving you a couple of weeks to get fit.
Speaker 3: And I could have told you that. I could have told you that.
Speaker 4: Mate.
Speaker 3: It's been great chatting with you. So what are you doing now? Mate?
Speaker 2: So look, over the last decades I have been I've worked for three of the sort of major international kidnapp for rants and extortion companies. Spent up until about a year ago, was also moonlighting and working at the University of Tasmania. But at the moment have just gone back to study.
Speaker 4: And do you do you have any more dangers journeys or dangerous exploits on the cards or you completely put off now?
Speaker 2: No, not at all. I love traveling like I love going seeing other cultures and other countries and those sorts of things. And you know, I did a little bit of work in Africa and everyone's like, are you stupid? Well, it's not all dangerous, yeah, exactly, and there's some like, there's some amazing countries in.
Speaker 4: The world too, and by the sounds of it, made wrong place long time. Yeah, but hopefully your family won't go through any of that again, and you'll be you'll you'll be a good boy and you won't make any rash decisions. But listen, next time you go anywhere like that, mate, give me a shout.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 4: Nigel Brennan is a photojournalist and his book is called The Price of Life.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining me on Headgame.
Speaker 4: If you enjoyed this episode, make sure you're subscribed so you don't miss any of our incredible stories and leave.
Speaker 3: Me a review wherever you're listening. I'm Att Middleton. At you again. Next time.
Speaker 2: M