Speaker 1: Steve Baxter, Welcome to straight Talk, mate. Thanks for having me make so me asking you on the show has actually come off the back of you and I having a really interesting conversation, well maybe a month ago, a few weeks there anyway now about the defense sector and all that encapsulates lots of things, investors, technology, you know, defense capabilities, asking all the big questions about Australian and the rest of the world. But before I get into that, I wouldn't mind just having a little bit of a dig into your background, like as to you growing up, et cetera. You know where you grew up and what type person, because I noticed in the brief you spend a bit of time growing up with a guy called Bevern Slattery as a maid of mine and similar sort of entrepreneurial flare as you Bevan. He does school together.
Speaker 2: Mums are best friends? Are they my mum's past? But yeah, they were best friends. How do you describe that they are best friends? Yeah, we'll go with yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Your prawd coueens leading for a start.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was born in clond Curry actually and then grew up in Emerald. My dad was in Queensland rail he went. Where the next promotion was, I suppose so Curry Emerald, Rockampton. Out of thirty six cousins armies and uncles, I'm the only one not born in Rockhampton. So it's a bit of a regional que the Central Queens. They have family, to say the least. And I was born in clon Curra. All amazing places.
Speaker 1: And you joined the army at at a young age. Sure that's a pretty outher thing, mind you. I guess up that way. Though there is army. There are army towns like towns, etcetera.
Speaker 2: There are, but that's not really impacting on that, to be honest. So that was a scheme at the time I joined in eighty seven, and within seven years that scheme had been gone. So it was an army apprentice scheme where like a recruit sort of fifteen and a half year olds and we went did three years, two or three years. My trade was three years in we're we were on good and that was it sort of fun. Oh so people asked if I enjoyed the Army. I enjoyed a lot more now I'm out to be honest just talking about it. So but yeah, I did that sign up for a fifteen years signed nine year contract when you're fifteen, which wow, yeah, well your parents up the co sign. So now as a father, I realized my mother was devastating. I didn't get I didn't understand it at the time. And now I have like mates with fifteen year old kids, and I think, oh, that's way too young, because it was your idea.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was not doing what at school. I was just a mixed up kid, Pubert. It was just playing have it with my common sense, if you know what I mean. I was in the fights, that sort of stuff. And then so this was a pretty good opportunity, truthful, either out of the meat works when I Campton.
Speaker 1: To be quite blunt, yeah, so would you say it's like not much opportunity in those those days, in those environments.
Speaker 2: No, but even back then, but going working the mines were seen as like some sort of it was a failure in life. You had to go work with the ruins because you couldn't get another job. Now, oh my god, you're making bank in the minds, well then everybody. Yeah, so kids left school to go to meat works and they all get an apprenticeship, which then you end up in the mines essentially.
Speaker 1: So what happened after you left the army?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I left the army in nine to early five, So a year before leaving I usually started a business from home, a dial upt in service sort of you put not as email home mate, and actually yeah actually I was E mail are quiet us actually in the end. So we started that ninety five and saw that in twenty ten, two thousand, saw that in two thousand. Excuse me in Adelaide. So back then there was I was the thirty cent local called tariff on the telephone call, so you could service a very large casement of people for not much money essentially, and so there was a very strong regional ICP. So there was if you know, Michael Malone out of iron It in Western Australia, for example, we owned Adelaide to a large degree. And then there was another business out of Melbourne and as email sort of rural East Coast.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I got you to do that though, I mean, like you, how were you think? Like I don't understand it, like your sort of you know X army guy apprentice blah blah blah, and then here you are thinking about it building a dial up business too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I was a guide weapons technician essentially in the army. So back in the.
Speaker 1: Days guided weapons technician. Yeah, so what is that?
Speaker 2: So the I primarily worked on two weapons systems, A low level air defense missiles to shoot down aircraft, so an RBS seven in Rapier technically, so we looked after the guidance, the hydraulics, optics, the.
Speaker 1: Whole box and die guidances, comms.
Speaker 2: Guidance now is laser and all radar, right, So so on the on the the RBS seven it was a laser god it so it was a laser your point of a laser beam at the aircraft. The missileld to ride the beam to the aircraft and you know the operators had to say in this so go for the glass bits. So they'd like to put these things for the pilot's heads essentially, if you know what I mean. So they were very very accurate weapons to be honest, and so so technical background, and we used to go and exercise for you know, four weeks to four months, and back then, you know you couldn't take enough books in four months to not go because it's actually really boring. You go, you drive for three or four days. You dig a whole. Every few days someone will bring you something to repair, and then that's how it sort of goes. And it's really boring. So you used to take books, and you can only take so many books. So I enrolled in part time university, so I ended up getting exemptions for me not finishing school. Did part time Universe, which is a computing science in the end, and that got my really fired my passion for it. I hate the word it, but for computers. And then you know, I did this one subject where it was called Linux, which is a very proper or popularp brating system now, and then you know, I got to boot it up at home and plug some items and it went, holy do you could you could charge people to use this? It was just that sort of entrepreneurial brain far actually, Glenn Richards from Shark Tank cause entrepreneurial brain farts, which I think is a really good term. And then you know, you start it. It's almost a bit like Gerber's. If you've read the Myth by Gerber, he talks about that, you know, the accident for entrepreneur type thing. It was that, but we jumped through a window that was open into that Internet in the mid mid nineties, which is well probably the twenty fifth or thirtieth internet service provider in Australia at the time. Within the year that were twelve hundred. That gives you an idea how much it rammed up if you good time, alf Yeah we sold. We sold just prior to the dot com bust. So I was email requiring us and they got acquired by unit and halfway through that says you unit got a quiet baby, so I will come. So we're in the middle of three acquisitions as we're getting where we're getting purchased. For the time, it was good to five mill win. You know what, I made a bit almost five mil. That's a lot of money then yeah, yeah, big time A business partner then as well, So we were fifty five percent of that business. So mate Chris, he was it was forty five. It's still a good bunch of the him.
Speaker 1: But I guess where I'm going to is, why do you think you decided to build a fund that's going to invest in defense opportunity?
Speaker 2: In twenty sixteen, the Army asked me to get involved with their innovation program. I was a so exulgier boy made good at a public profile. That was two years on shark tanking at that point, literary pr job coming to camera, I get a picture with the general pattern on the head and they let me in the tent say to speak, and I just saw this amazing capability that was being created through non diluted grants out of government, which is incredible. It's like James Bond's weapons lab. I walked into. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: And then he walked into like an actual lab.
Speaker 2: No, it was. It was as a demodo. It was like a it was a display. Yeah, he's got Army Innovation Day was the name of the event. And they have a series of programs over the years, and I culminate in this in this display at the end type things a graduation display almost and I've walked in. I thought it was also. I thought it was all classified, but that we'll get around taking pictures and put on LinkedIn and I was like, oh, this is interesting. So that's where the other Where are the other investors? And they said, oh, we don't trust investors, but while I'm here, we trust you, And I said, you just meant me. So So I worked with Army. I tried to work with the army and then defense about the role private capital complaining early stage innovation. So I saw this amazing stuff being credited and just falling into the valley of death for move that concept of value of death. Yeah, but in defense to chasm and nothing gets out of the chasm. So these things just die.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I thought, well, I know a better way to do this, and I know there's a larger customer, which is the US. So the US Department of War at that stage were spending about eight hundred billion dollars a year US on defense. We're spending about thirty billion US dollars on defense at that point, and so there's a there's an opportunity to take this great capability, find that exquisite customer user market budget long in the US, get in that market, get the high revenues, get the multiple uplift because they're very undervalued in Australia. So the real opportunity is the buyseld equation. These things are that unloved. They're very cheap to buy, to be quite blue. So our role is to get them into the US, get them revenue, and get them get them rated as the US company to go from two or three times revenue multiple for example, to a thirty two hundred times revenue multiple.
Speaker 1: Make you just explained to you then, so if they so, let's just go through a little unpacking a little bit if you don't mind. So when you say on the buy side, you talk about the US as a buyer, potentially I spying the equity here in Australia, you buy the equity hearing so you can get.
Speaker 2: When we invest in the startup here. Yep, it's irrationally unloved. So for a variety of reasons, defense assets here rational unloved. The perception of the market is this one customer being the austrain Defense Force, right, And that's not true. There's thirty three customers we can sell to in Australia. The thirty three Allied customers we can sell to without being arrested as a gun runner. So we have Defense Corporation, right, and each one of those as an army in ad Air Force Blessed America. They've got Marines, Coast Guard, Space Force as well. Each one of those has at least one unit that can buy off tender. You knock on their door and you can sell them and stuff.
Speaker 1: Through the door without a tender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very I'm being a bit flipping there. It's a very low overhead process. Yeah, right, typically uncompetitive process, which is good. So in fact, in the US Department of War there are two to seventy five organizations that have the ability to do that, right, and budgets and budgets yep. So the thing about the US Department of War is that they don't buy the best technology. They buy the best technology they can get on contract. So you might have the best tech, but if you knocking on the wrong door and the person who can't spend you got it wrong. So the opportunity there is to buy the equity in Australia to invest in the startups here and then to transition them into the US. We will not invest in the startup here that has a material exposure to Theustralian Defense Force, Austraini defense forces a risk to its supplies. Really my word, why you've seen the headlines about the bugget that the stuff ups with contracts and bringing capability. I mean, I'm an exultier. If they need a meit to carry a offle again, I'd do it tomorrow. That need to be pretty desperate. My needs are pretty bad, to be honest, But it's it's just in all my investing careers about finding finding an investment and getting him into a bigger market. Great, you're you're the expert at this. I'm not. That's awesome. Now let's get you the courage and the capital get in a bigger market. So it's no difference in defense to some degree, to be honest. And the US is a it's not an easy market, but it's a damn so easier than Australia. No government sales easy, and this is still a government sale. So but you've got a new US administration there and the Secretary of War that you young Pete Hess's a young man in a hurry, and I really hope he's just a young man in a hurry. He's not staring at a piece of intelligence and he's got he's got to do what he's doing because he's being flagrant with capital over there. They just are trying to bring this new capability in and they're happy to spend like drunken saless to do it. I said, I hope it's you know, I fear what's coming.
Speaker 1: You hope it's not reckless. You just hope it's like purposeful.
Speaker 2: No, I think I hope he's I hope he's reckless to be honest, because you can keep selling to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, because because he's not reck close, it means he's looking the piece of intelligence, which means confidences about to kick off. There's there's there's there's a there's a background. There's a background macro here, which is the demographic issues, rend the jew geo political issues around the world, and demographic to be honest, you know, exemplified by what's happened in Ukraine, in the Middle East and what China is threaten to do with Taiwan, to be quite blunt, that's all the background. And so the US is arming, rearming like crazy. And I started this back in twenty twenty three. The Allied the Allied cumulative defense expendites was one point two trillion new stormers. This year, it's one point seven next year, it's one point nine trillion. Well, and none of that's gone to an extra soldier.
Speaker 1: That's all gone to staffing.
Speaker 2: It's not starfing your basis, it's it's it's technology changing out as well. So in the in the in the press, now, in the popular press. Now you see a lot about the drone, the expensive missile versus the cheap drone. It's a lot more nuanced than that. But that's essentially so that they're changing out arsenals and what I call the articles for conflict. They're changing those out into the more commodity stuff the people we invest in essentially, so that's all that uplift goes into things that we can put, we can allocate capital, and the companies that can exploit that increase in budget.
Speaker 1: So it is therefore in the US is a big retooling exercise, very much retooling the manufacturing or whatever it is that they're going to use.
Speaker 2: You look at the start of the year, just provider prior learning tick war. They kicked off on a m prior to that. So Secretary of War Pete eggs that he had this. He's a showman about this. It was called the arsenal of democracy too. What he called it. Eight out of the ten companies a visitor didn't exist twenty five years ago. And if you because SpaceX is twenty three years old, exclude those seven out of ten didn't exist ten years ago. So he's making a statement there. He doesn't like the old primes. He's really tired of being ripped off and the US generally are they understand their defense base was just fat, dumb and happy, if you know what I mean. And spending yeah so now, but now they're actually spending with smaller companies, more agile companies, startups let's call them near primes are sometimes called as well. And they're getting results. To be honest, there they are. They are changing, they're changing how this all, how this all works?
Speaker 1: How how has war changed?
Speaker 2: It's well, it's been to change a lot of ways. I suppose the and it's been the once again, I'll ever characterize it's the drone, but it's it's unmans systems and men platforms really really cheap and inexpensive. I'll like really cheap and expensive things. Not because I'm a tired ass, to be quite honest, right, but because if it's cheap, you can give it to a corporally use. If it's expensive, you give it to a kernel to use, and that corporates more like and pullice through drive out and fix it if it's broken, or to if it's not working right, to modify it so that the innovation cycles you get through commodity war goods will speed up development innovation a lot, so, and there's there's lots of new modern business techniques. So the biggest change in war is that the new modern Internet marketing techniques have actually come into equip procurement. So there's an amazing book it's about twenty three years old called the Clue Train Manifesto.
Speaker 1: Their Clue Train Minifestosto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the clue trains leaving the station, get on board. It was the late nineties. It was essentially when organizations were resisting get on the Internet because their customers might say bad things about them. And the whole part of the thesis of the book is, well, they'll say bad things about you whether you're on that marketplace with them or not. So the internet's a marketplace of ideas. If you're not there, they're still talking about you. You just have not have no ability to absorb that feedback. So get on there, get on the clue train, essentially. But then it goes into the whole the modern mechanisms around gamification and rewards and that sort of stuff at the same time, and so the in one example that the Ukrainian Ministry Defense, they have an innovation and they're obviously threat that war with the rushiappoinment. The Ministry of Defense have their innovation arms called Brave One, so Brave number one essentially, and so you can approach them and get your goods.
Speaker 1: Into the Indo, the Aman civilian or anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyone can. Yeah, yeah, I don't want anyone in the old will can. Yeah. And then they created something called the Brave one marketplace, so it's like it's like t move for war goods. So you put your stuff on there. And then a Ukrainian, a soldier in a trench with mud and his boots, gets to his phone and goes, I need that sort of drone. He's an allocated currency from the Ukrainian center.
Speaker 1: That they can make this sort of democratic redistributed the decision making.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, and I can get it. He gets delivered to his trench, he gets to use it. He can give staff feedbacks, he can give one to five star feedback. No, no, this is the whole thing. No one wants one starff feedback. Right, If you launched this thing in a Russian and it doesn't work, that's bad. If proba be angrysoken to give one staff feedback, what you do is you bring up the supply and say, mate, this didn't work right, and it goes, well, what to Leo's people, give me a bed with you, I'll fix it and send your ten more. Yeah, And so that all of a sudden that that cycle in the West takes years and that Ukraine takes weeks. So it actually shortened these cycles out. But they've added one other aspect in which is quite macarb but fascinating at the same time. So not only can you use central hour added currency from the from the bank, but you have in game currency. So if you actually can submit proof you destroyed a certain piece of Russian equipment for example, you get allocated You get allocated in game points, so Russian tank's worth forty and artillery piece is worth sixty and are as a leader board and so every week they publish a leader board results and the units have competition to see how much Russian equipment they can destroy. You and take those intend then take those points, go back to the store. Instead of using money, you can use points to buy more drones, more radars, more intendors. What if you actually need they're their credits, their credits. Yeah, and they actually they actually did an incentive test. So they actually changed the score for a Russian KA, so actually killing a Russian soldier from two to six in one week, they doubled the KA account. Wow, so InnoCentive an outcome, right, So Barry mccabb fascinating. The US are trying to most Western militaries are implementing that. They've actually seen what that does, just shortening that innovation cycle down. So that's probably the biggest innovation in military logistics since the standardization of rifle.
Speaker 1: Is that, like in terms of changes the way wars been waged? Is that about making your players, your team be more intense in terms of what they do day to day, thinking intense, physically intense, intense and every aspect. So you just sitting there being like a like an old school soldier.
Speaker 2: Look, I think the driver is the desire for the soldier to go home end of the day, so that they face a very extontential every day. It's a very existential problem they face. Yeah, so everything everything they do probably relates to that problem. The risk, reduce the risk. If you look at the front line in Ukraine right now, it's not a front line, it's forty kilometers, So you have a lot of contact, which is technically the front line. The twenty kilometers either side is no men's land where your job as a soldier is to look exceptionally unimportant because you're under constant surveillance and the more important you look, you're probably going to get serviced as a target. That's the military euphemism for blowing up with the drone globe blunt. So now you go from front lines where you might have had a thousand men per kilometer to maybe ten men per columns.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So because I've just got these got these platforms, which is why I'm not worried about the constant, the constant sort of retrick around. You know, Vladimer using nuclear weapons on that you need to deploy one hundred nuclear weapons to have an impact because you know, new weapons had to kill soldiers and if every kilometer you've got ten soldiers, you need.
Speaker 1: A lot of nukes and you're not going to waste that much money.
Speaker 2: No, I means are pretty cheap, to be honest. So but I mean it's definitely a periodic victory. But you can't use one and have the effect. You typically use one or two. Drive a thousand tanks through and you've won, and that's you know, I'm oversimplifying it, and now you just can't do that. The front is it's gone from it's gone from this. When it started, there's massive armored thrust that came to know sort of throbell of Roast, tried to capture Kiev and all the rest of it. And there's very brave Ukraine. You stop. That was an amazing that when the true story comes out of the incredible and then it went to trench warfare. If I remember that, we saw a lot of the pictures of trench warfare. Then it went to the drone started coming in and that they're probably now on like generation fifty eight of that in that conflict. That's how fast innovation cycles are moving. So they've had like drones that like pe thermite falling thermit gas on the soldiers. Now they now got the five optic control drones, they've got deep strike drones. They've just it's it's terrifying. The other really cool thing they've done with the respect of modern business techniques is your chrome. Ukraine's are clever. They're going through some political eruptions at the moment with their defense staff. You're seeing some protests there, but they've got something called Trophy Lab. So all the captured Russian equipment they've got, it's called Trophy Lab. So all the captured Russian equipment they've got, they're actually putting it up on a website for people to access once you go through your credentials and everything else. So in order to bring their Western partners in sort of say hey, you're got to partner with us. Not only you know, can we use and test your kit, but we can also we get from the Russians we can make available for you to exploit in an intelligence, to inspect, to explore an intelligence full apart. Yeah, so they've not only got that marketplace, but they've also got to forget they've got a marketplace for intelligent tonight.
Speaker 1: So very clever, clever leverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's literally it's modern business marketing techniques. Yeah, I applied to combat, Yeah, in that conflict.
Speaker 1: More precisely, it can be just all about drones because, like you just mentioned, drones, were talking about drones, as I understand, you wouldn't have better me, But as I understand, the original drones were coming in from Iran. When when Russia first started using the drones, the Iranian DROs. Why was Iran so far ahead of everybody else, at least ahead of Ukraine and Russia, so much so that Russia then drew on the Iranian drones and started drone warfare. Now there's a whole lot of stuff responses to drone warfare, so there's drone defense, et cetera. We'll talk about that in a moment. But why was the Iranians so far ahead? Or they're understanding this change in warfare?
Speaker 2: So it wasn't just the Iranians. I mean there's also several core becauses as Bojan and the other place that starts. So they went Hammer and Tong had a few years ago with the drones as well. To be honest, Yeah, yeah, I mean you're as I want to say, Yeah, that's a bit of a dust up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they haven't fight because they got borders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and drones were used to the decide they had the most drones essentially won that battle, if you know what I mean. So I think there might have been a tell there. Iran has been embargoed for most things for many years, so but you know, it's hard to embargo a lawn maarer engine and in balsa wood, which is what those those she heads are made at. Really, oh yeah, they's nothing. They're like very cheap, very inexpensive in balswood in the derogatory way because it's obviously very light. It's quite structure anyway. So but you can't and you can't you can't embargo lawnmar engine. That's what it's got on it. It's not like it hasn't not a jet engine. So they built that out of necessity of what can we do, what effect can we create? So very innovative to be honest. Yeah, and their construction how they built them at the same time. So, but they haven't haven't moved much since so Iran hasn't on the innovation side. Rights again, they've got limited facilities that are bargered. There's not a great deal of high tech probably Uless it's a nuclear center, few so imaged. It's not a great deal high tech in Iran. A lot of support through China at the same time though, So that's if you look at the just I suggest anyone who wants to have to think about that conflict get on Google Maps out and understand where a run sits. It's quite fascinating to be honest, it tells you a lot about who's playing in that region. But on the ballistic missile front, I mean blistic something that the first ballistic missile was built by the Germans and World War Two it was called the V two. Right, They've been around for a long time. It's actually really old tech that I think in essence, the world can be pretty proud. It's it's proliferated quite slowly, if you know what I mean. So not now now everyone need is it? Unfortunately?
Speaker 1: So yeah, you mentioned earlier on that were to sort of iteration fifty eight of drones. Where's that innovation coming from? Like is that Russia? Ukraine? Is it here in Australia? Both?
Speaker 2: I know we didn't do it here in Australia. We have some great companies here in Australia. But the innovations that existential. Young men from the murder each other, kill each other basically. And then, like I said, because the platform is are that cheap, they can let you pull the square about, so I think I can make this work out, and so they'll do that tinkering. Tinkering is and when it's sheap, you can do it. Was it was weird, and so it's gone through many phases. I remember talking to one of our advisors and he was saying that one stage, what they were doing is they were doing very much localized so they'd work out something U dronal feature or something, and they deployed in a certain part of the front to test it right and then it'd work, and then they'd actually then mass manufacturer gived all the units. But in that sort of period of time two weeks, the Russians had counted it, so that actually because they'd seen it one place. The Russians aren't dumb, They're very much a learning army. They get exposed to this this innovation, and they'd learned that lesson they'd counter it and they'd deployed that across the front. So by the time the Ukrainians went to deploy their thing, it was now null and void. So that point in time they sort of said, we can't test this on the Russians. We have to assume it's going to work. So they get some innovation and they just they wouldn't test it against them, just go for it. They just they create it, put it out there, see if it worked. So that so also the format, not just the goods, but the format and how you actually deploy that because like you know, it's war, the enemy gets to say as well. Unfortunately, if you know what I mean. So in the Rusians are well, they're very much maligned. They are very much an adaptive learning army, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: In terms of drone defense, there's Australia player role because we see those companies like Drones Shield and all those sort of companies that came out in Australia, But are we doing anything in terms of defense for this sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Drones Shield is not to be not to be discounted. Obviously Sydney based company. Obviously they that were called it's called a soft kill solution. So they're all about jamming. So you know, drones work on little radio signals GPS, so you can spoof GPS, so you can tell that you can convince the drones in the wrong spot, do you know what I mean, and it'll fly at another spot, you can take it over, you can jam it. So a lot of those so that there's in the innovation race that a lot of that's been counted. So now drones will actually spool will actually they'll put a spool of fiber carlon it. So single fiber strand thirty kilometers are five were ways about three and a half kilos, So I put that there so you can send this thing thirty kilometers and not be able to jam. It's unjammable essentially, so they've already count to the jamming. So the drone Shield solution the kinetic sense, I like Droned Shield as a company. I think in the civil defense sense, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: What civil defense been not military?
Speaker 2: So I suppose defending sports grounds and bridges and things like that. Right whereas I'm in the military space. You know, a soldier has to know he can that he can stop that threat. And then he really weighed to stop the drainers to put a big smokey hole on it mark to be honest, and.
Speaker 1: You got to blow it up to blow it up, and how do you blow it up there with a Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of our port Fi other companies I can probably talk about that they makes a solution that it's a t US company. They've got a solution which is a set of sites, lasers and actuators that fits onto a soldier's rifle.
Speaker 1: Actually being something that turns something off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the actualtor is actually the butt stockh fits on the soldiers, but you're actual acquie the target through the camera and then this there's actually a pneumatic actuator, so the computer lays the rifle onto the target and the laser to engage the target. And they're talking about sort of first second round accuracy small flying grains at two hundred meters, which is game changing in that space, to be honest, And they've just they're doing very well. We think where we got some good news there soon which we're probably done and when this is going to ES, I don't know if I can actually say anything about it.
Speaker 1: Well, don't say about it at the stage. If we find out it's something that we might put it up. But it's but just on that, like, are you saying to me that, like there's a drone coming at me and this new tech allows me to basically blow a hole in it by virtue of this technology.
Speaker 2: That there's laying of the weapon. So that's a soldier system. There's also they called crui serves, so you're a bigger machine gun to go on trucks and stuff. I suppose they've also got the software and hardware, the optics can go on that and save an individual soldiers version. They have a cruise serve version, and then there's also the ammunition that's involved at the same time. So big now is so the early counter to drones with shotguns, which are quite effective, but the only work when it gets within ten meters.
Speaker 1: Shots just goes everywhere.
Speaker 2: That's a bit scary close and never have never have have the ammunition that breaks in like sort of six or seven fragments, so over I think over fifty meters it gives you about a one and half minute dispersion writing. So that's so you have been able to get the round near the target then being able to actually engage it with that. But there's many many facets that. So there's a great Austraian company here down in South Australia. They have a passive radar solution. So passive radar is this is what these guys are with the canter of the strange defense they are will be I'm hoping they will be yep. So I just think it's war winning technology personally. So passive radar is great. So let's say you've got a triple J and Chenna treashment in Triple J. It's that way, but for some reason, you know, as treatment's out, a little bit bounced off the wall there and coming back. So that's cool. Signal. That's called noise. Now, modern radio is a really good at rejecting noise and accepting signal. These guys listen to the noise, so they will sit there and listen to Triple J. And then now it's at that Greg Cordon over there doing this and they can so all the little errant bounce as they get. They build a map of the world based on that. So a radar is a really good way to find something. What a radar does it sends out a pin and it listens for the response. Right when you do that, though the other person gets a bounce back. Yeah, the other person can hear you exactly where you are, and so they'll send you a present to turn your radar off. In a military sense, I'll blow you up. This doesn't make any mission. It just sits there and listens to So you could use the enemy's jammer. You could use the enemy's jamming signal as a radar source, so then you can find the drone. So there's one thing about once you can find them, they're reasonably easy to kill. They're quite flimsy, they're small. Most aircraft, you know, they're built light, they're built for emission. They built light. So if you can actually get an X, y Z coordinate, you know where this thing is in time and space, it's reasonably easy to create an effect. In military terms, I took a bet effects and effectors. An effector is a weapon and effect is the explosion. But you can create an effect that disables that drone. So it's not just the actual kinetics of it, it's also how do you find that Unless you know it's there, then you can't shoot it. So we have that in Australia. That's really good. We're coming up with an EOS who are listed company. They do a lot of lasers, remote weapon sites, the turrets are the bits and pieces like that. They have a lot of space capability as well. EOS we have the soft kill guys from drone Shill. We spoke about encounter drone space. Our investments with the US company called called zero Mark.
Speaker 1: It was zero Mark zero Mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a great solution. So but in drones in general, like I I find I think drones are absolutely scary combat innovation, and they're actually scary in investment. We don't invest in drones. That's a fund. We look at the commodity platform itself has been commoditized.
Speaker 1: And as a result, as in the machine itself, the.
Speaker 2: Machine is selfie. Other the platforms being commoditized and there's this no value left in it. To be honest, it's a race to the bottom.
Speaker 1: Right, they're all discounting each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and there's very little differentiation. I mean, I get these pictures from these lovely goalers. You make drones and it looks nine to nine percent identical to the last one I saw. But there's supposedly different and you've good on them that they're pitching it right now. So what we did though about two years ago, much of my team so agree with about twenty drone opportunities pipeline. I just kicked them all out. I said, no one's who's going to pick the winner from that? That's crazy. So let's pull a drone apart and let's see what makes it tick. It turns out that the best Allied Nations autopilot for small drones is made in Geelong, Victoria. The video modem. Guys in the best in the allow world are made in what do you call it?
Speaker 1: Yellow world?
Speaker 2: Allied allaid world, Allied, Well, the best are Chinese, right, and then on Allies right, okay, Allies all So the best I'll just say the best in the world. Assumement means allies is a video modem which takes the camera signal from the drone back to the operator. That's in Bristain. For example, you have two of the world's best speed controlers, so the thing that actually makes the power get routed to the motors properly, very very importan probably the most important part of the drone. Best one of those is in Hobart. Probably real besters and said, yeah, second best is here in Sydney. Maybe second or to the best is in Sydney in the world. Yeah, in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow.
Speaker 2: So we had the world's owning non Chinese motor manufactural was in Canberra. That young, beautiful young man had the best mentors Andrew he got brought out by a Californian company. I think he left a couple of Sydney mansions on the table. He could have he could have waited and solved for more personally but yeah, good on him. He's lovely chap, so he's done well. So there is capability in Australia that goes across all the platform.
Speaker 1: And as our government involved in any of this stuff, it looks army navy, it is it is.
Speaker 2: So look a lot of this, a lot of these things are actually created through nondoluded government grants. So before people like me came along and yet private capital funding, the way this thing's got funded was through nondolutive government grants. So loosely, federal government have granting mechanisms through the Partment of Defense, then allocate funds out. You know, he missed. To be honest, it's a government granting system, so you know, got.
Speaker 1: To do they own it? Does the government get a percentage?
Speaker 2: Typically not.
Speaker 1: They just say we'll grant you the money to go to the research and build it or prototype it, whatever the case will be. And then what happens then is someone like you come as long as it says the guy, I'll give you another hit because the government grant is over, I'll give another hit, and because I think there's something's going to go someway.
Speaker 2: Yeah pretty well, pretty much, yeah, pretty well, it's a bit different. It user gets to the end and everyone complains that you know that not everything the government funds from an innovation sense should should get picked up or should work. There's got to ben element of throwing socks at the wall here, right, and the ones that stick you go for right. Yeah, so so, and it got a very bad rap. In the past, the scheme was called the Defense Innovation Hub. Doh, it's been superseded. Now I got a very bad rap. They spend about ninety million bucks a year on various creens. It creates a lot of great stuff. So I'm not sure if for me there's a there's a business I talk about a lot called the cardboard drone, the cardboard cardboard drone. So it's a business, family run business out of Melbourne, coll So. I packed the Voncino family. They're lovely people and they created this flat packed. So it's a drone, it's a it's a you get it. It's flat packed cardboard. You get it. Your assault's got a hot blue gun, a roller masking tape, fold flat beat of flat beat of flat sea. Forty five minutes later, there's an aircraft shaped thing.
Speaker 1: Care's no care drone?
Speaker 2: Yeah at forty five minutes later you get this thing that can take two kilos of humanitarian payload sixty kilometers. So you have to talk about things in euphemisms. You can't say two kilos of explosives. Yeah, to the point where so that was created through those DH granting mechanism and this comes on like a palette of thirty come on the palette and there's like thirty drone things on a sort flat pack to soldiers put them together and then they send them off on their missions and they program up the strainer soldiers any soldier. So yeah, I believe there are some quantities in Australia. The biggest, the biggest user. It's got a lot of coverage a couple of years ago whether the Ukrainians use them to destroy Russian aircraft and an air basing curse, so they it was a long way behind the line. So we're thinking they actually got smuggled through the checkpoints and very hard cardboards right in that respect, because it doesn't show up on X ray machines. So I think they did a covert insertion through X ray machine. I'm only guessing. I actually don't know Mark to.
Speaker 1: Be truthful, but it feels like a pretty good story right now, like to stick with that one.
Speaker 2: So that's a cardboard and cardboard. It's great because it's literally and they're meant to be some of some have them like sixty seventy missions or they can be a one way job, but they can do a variety of things, and people have talked quite openly about they've actually used that they've taken like Ukraine's put aircraft radios in them and they use them as decoys to try and get Russian missile systems to start up their radars to understand where they are, so they can sort of go them into into lighting up their radars, they can discover they are and bomb them essentially. So they've got all.
Speaker 1: Sorts of different they're using them for surveillance, yeah, surveillance everything.
Speaker 2: So that's that's a really good drovet. And there's been a recent listing on this train stock exchange and the company called ball Site. We almost invested in these guys before they're listed. Actually, our fun can't do a listed that we're prohibited from doing listed. Is it the ACTEA you do with no, it's part of innovation signs. I want to say, right, Okay, so yeah, I mean they feed information back to.
Speaker 1: The that's Arthur ced this is old portfolio.
Speaker 2: What have been actually too. Yeah, yeah, he's very involved in defense now, Arthur, he's like chairman of business called Hypersonic Launch Systems and Bales Land based business. They they want to it's a great story and mutually let me just now go for it, pull me off target you want to. So we didn't invest in these guys. One we missed unfortunately, but they've made a hope somenic aircraft called the dart Fly, and they won a US contract from something called the Defense Innovation Unit the US. So you know, if there was a five star rating system for defense funders innovation funders in the US, these guys that have four point nine nine stars die is brilliant. So they got a fifteen million dollar award. There three aircraft, a five million bucks apiece, plus the US Department of Defense had bought like the eighteen million dollar rocket. They had to strap it to times by three, so there was a massive sort of wing they launched there. So that got three because you know typically in rocketry and that the first one blows up the second one to get flights for ten seconds and blows up and the third one works, you know, and they all tend to celebrate their success or their failure in very much in the open. This is why it blew up, and everyone's all of high fiving the fact they just blew a rocket up. They've launched this scene in February out of Wallops Island and the thing took off, and or the commentary, you know, the aircraft separated in the US government cut the feed and said, what law, that's good. That's good, Rob. I don't know, I'm only guessing it's good. So so that's going to be an amazing ASTRAI so hype personic story in the world as written by an Australian company out of Brisbane. Michael Smart's the founder of the technology there.
Speaker 1: So but what is it? Just explain what to hype us on?
Speaker 2: The aircraft is hypersonic, hypersent. Flight profile is usually above mark fiventh.
Speaker 1: It's going faster than five thousand films an hour of it. I don't know where yees.
Speaker 2: Twelve on kumeters in our speed of sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's Mac one.
Speaker 2: Mac one, Yeah, is Mack five Mac five mafile is.
Speaker 1: Going like two more max faster than concord.
Speaker 2: And air breathing as well, because you can go very fast in space, but that's there's no resistance in space. But this is so it's a hypersoning and steerable So a lot of these things haven't been steerable in the past.
Speaker 1: And in this aircraft, what would be the objective? Like they want to have something to go so fast like puffling about to get somewhere quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get somewhere very quickly, carries small payload very quickly. It's not for to put any one in well that the dark flight, the initial one's quite small, like there's nothing to stopping them from actually scaling it up. Right, So, look, we've done d D in this business, and I can tell you a lot about it, but I won't do that on camera.
Speaker 1: O Captain, I understand that. Of course I was going to ask you about that. There's been a lot of discussion about robots in warfare. What's what's the deal there?
Speaker 2: Is that for real, they're being used in the warfare now you know really not well not the walking ones, not the Bible I'm walking the walking ones. Yeah, so they look like people. But did you see that that that thing was a Chinese New Year or some of those robots were dancing with the unbelievad stuff. I thought to myself, Oh my god, because robot it's an industrial machine. If it goes crazy, it's heavy. You imagine we're out of control and slaptic. Yeah, the kidnap a broken jewel?
Speaker 1: Right, well, I actually did see if that happened. Not not broken jaw, but I saw one of those robots actually throw an adult.
Speaker 2: Oh is it great YouTube channel? Robots going crazy? Yeah, actually hilarious. Watched some of the videos.
Speaker 1: To be honest, do you think we'll have wars with robot?
Speaker 2: I'm very much so. I hope so, I mean a drains a robot at let's got the humans out of the picture.
Speaker 1: Be awesome to be honest, yeah yeah, but I do you know of is there anybody sort of doing this sort of stuff now?
Speaker 2: Not with bipeds, No, very much regrant with wheeled with with air vehicles, underwater vehicles, a surface vehicles. Yeah, they're everywhere. We've there's you know, so not not bipeds. I have not seen biped yet. I have seen the dogs. You've seen the little look yeah, the dogs. That's not me I feel right too. They strap machine guns these dogs you're like, or bombs. Yeah, so yeah, I mean the object now is digging them down in price so you can actually deploy in the scale. That's kind of the real object there.
Speaker 1: But is this stuff happening in Australia? And do we have robotics you know, innovation here? We do?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen I've seen people doing things in the proofray of robots. So there's a great business here. I can't remember the name of it now. We almost invested in at ten thirteen. We lost out of that deal. So they actually process so a robots a series of machines and a lot of those machines are small computers that make up them robots SOLF and they generate a lot of data. So these guys have a business of processes the log fold data to help the people understand and train how that robot works. So they've got this really it's it's like the pick and shovel example for robots. Why I build robots and it's when you've got a pick and shovel robot shop type of thing. Yeah, it's that old analogy. So I don't know anyone doing the actual robots themselves, but I know people are working on the peripheral parts of the robotics problem to be honest, So well.
Speaker 1: I've always wanted to know this too. But why is there a resistance to investing in defense?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What is it? What are we worried about?
Speaker 2: Like like not put down the three things? From my analysis, it is that as an investor's a perception as a single customer. So I don't think it's we mentioned that earlier. The perception is the adf the any customer.
Speaker 1: And it's right, But that's a commercial resistance, isn't it.
Speaker 2: But that also that also then then reflects on the on, the on the on the opportunity and the opportunity to return, the potential for return for opportunity. The other one is defense is hardware for the most part, it's it's defense is mostly you know, heavy things made for robust mean if you know what I mean, we never have to use so and that's got a different return profile. A software business might return your twenty five x fifty x one hundred x, you know, a hardware business for returns to five to ten x it's really good. So that's it's a different return. So it's I suppose it appeals to different sorts of investors. If you know what I mean. And we're investors, we always go for the we're lazy, we go for the best thing we get the return from. Right, then there's ESG. We have that. Sorry, I don't know if you lay to swear here, but it's just socie of pox ESG where it's just environmental social governance and in whatever reason, defense has been been put in the naughty box with respect of that. In eighty three percent of investment funds in Australia a link to the super innovation industry and they default rule that investing.
Speaker 1: Oh really, oh yeah very much though, So the big super funds, the big industry funds, is that right?
Speaker 2: They went touch it when the tarnish is coming off, We're starting to talk to a few of the operators in there, and they wanted them discover more. I suppose then you get that. Then the really cheap shot answer is a bit like oh you we wouldn't we wouldn't fund. We wouldn't fund the warship, but we'd fund the dock. You could tie the worship too, Yeah, bassy is excuse me? So look now now in the US and Europe changed in the heartbeat. One thing happened, Vladimir Drevis takes into Ukraine and everyone just everyone got over ESG the next day, to be honest. So it's a little bit more existential over there. The Yanks never really swallowed it, but that hard anyway to be trueful, So, so is G is the biggest thing stopping it.
Speaker 1: So let's call it ESG being sort of like we call it at but really the ethics of war, ethics of war. Yeah, and here in Australia there's a resistance to investing that I didn't realize. The super funds have a mandate across the board, no that stuff. So that but that of course hapens opportunities for people like it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it is an opportunity. And the reason that the equity is so low we get a great buyside equation is because we're the only investor at the table. Yeah, you're properly right. Yeah, if any one invests, only one person turns up to buy a house, is the price higher and the flower Yeah? So and that's we So our fund needed to get a bit more, bit more director, I suppose we invest in defense first.
Speaker 1: Technol to explain what them is.
Speaker 2: We like companies that increase capability around lethality and survivability. At the end of the day, you don't stop the enemy with harsh language alone a robust man carrying something heavy, right, I never want to see these things used, right, So if we if that's going to happen, we need better.
Speaker 1: Politicians, the more deference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need better polities and diplomats to de two war. Right. So, so for us, it's about I think defense of the realm. That's is a sold or good. I have no problem with that. Our fund will only invest in things that the ADF will legally use, so I think we got quite a moral doesn't mean legally use. Well, that won't use LAMB mines for example. They won't use weapons of mass destruction, right, things like that, you know, gases and stuff, and gases the apex of evil that men did other men. I think it's a terrible thing. Gas. So we'll only I suppose we won't break the law in Australia. Yeah, if you know what I mean, we won't use class that's in your mandate though, that's a manday, Yeah, that's that's in that clustervenitions on the bits and pieces. So what will the ADF deploy this? That's that's a tick for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, so you just sort of you can sit under there sort of lists rules. Yeah, pretty well there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they want to change the change the law, then it's not the you know, democratic processes said laws not not not businessmen, right, I think.
Speaker 1: That's not a good way to go or army generals.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the other parts of our mandate, we have our taxation mandate at the early stage, the SPC or stuff.
Speaker 1: That always is always early stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, always early stage. We have that. Then we have well, we have our own sovereignty mandate.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: So we weren't invested in any businesses that for whatever reason might be precluded from doing business with the US. Right, So, so you can't have Chinese scientists, Russian shareholders, contracts with medies talk to jurisdictions for example, that that's problematic.
Speaker 1: But about Chinese micro chips or the proces microprocess or electronicies.
Speaker 2: Basically, if you're in defense in Australia, there's a blue list of computing the US called the Blue List. The Blue list is non Chinese. Yeah, everyone uses the blue list. It's almost not a thing nowadays, to be honest.
Speaker 1: But is there many components electronic componers the d come from China these days.
Speaker 2: More, there are more. I wouldn't say there's a lot, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of something out of Mexico and played on that, but like the Chinese companies understand it.
Speaker 2: But there's also China. No one regards Taiwan as part of China. One's in the blue especially so and a lot of stuff comes out of there, but you can't get them. It just puts the price of their goods up because stuff is actually pretty good and it's really bloody cheap.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: So it becomes a cost equation.
Speaker 1: But I just know that a lot of NATO countries, including the US, they won't take something if it's got Chinese components.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they still there's some things they can't get away with, to be honest, but getting pretty rare that there's a pretty good supply chain of blue stuff for most things now.
Speaker 1: I remember many years ago, like a long long time ago, my mum was involved in this business technology business, and we won a NATO contract for the new NATO building in Belgium and the General. I had a meeting in the General and he said to me, you can't have any Chinese components in it when the when you ship to us, it's all going to be one unpacked, but it's in front of us, but it's also going to be disassembled. We want to look at all the componentory and then you reassemble it and then we'll install. You install it, but then we'll run it. But that was the process.
Speaker 2: Surprised me. People. But look at what these rallies did. Was it Hamas or the modern Lebanon? What are they called? They with the pages and stuff, if you know what I mean? So has Yeah, with the pages, I mean you know they they said.
Speaker 1: That both a long period of time there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the Russians when the US built the Rebissy in Moscow, the place was little with bugs. The contractors were putting bugs inside of bricks for chrissakes, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of crafty stuff goes on. But we're their man. The other thing we don't do, we don't get asked this A lot is you know, is made in Australia a mandate. We can't be like if you sold to the US and you get a major contract that they at least, even way before Trump, this has been going for decades, they expect at least final manufacturer to excuse me, final assembly to occur in the US. Yeah, at the very least. So, I mean, as we should do in Australia. We should have the same expectation of defense goods you we just don't.
Speaker 1: So what that means is the components can be all coming from various places, but it august shipped to the US and it sort of gets assemble in the US. That's sort of a minimum. I mean, and this is a defense defendse Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But the reality is is you're you're also in a competitive process against other US businesses who have fully est wsh US businesses right, and they do what I would do if I was them, They would say, I look that they're Australian. They're not doing enough, and so you're non Australian, your non US status will get used to agaged you in a competitive way, which got to expect. But Australia is still a good place to run prototypes. Now. We've got really good people here, We've had really good tax incentives, to be quite blunt. The RTTI is actually really good. The Research Development Tax that you're forty three cents in the dollar back for research. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, R and D R and d yea RDT I think it's called. Yeah, So that's really beneficial. Leave a really good core.
Speaker 1: Basically, if fuseure tax, but you get whatever you spent the money on. Now is that you get a sort of a briefund of some of the money from the government. Means you can't deduct it down the track when you get your income. But that's okay. It helps your funding.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well yeah, and as a startup you worry about cash, let's worry about the bottom war. Yeah, because we might never make a profit. There's this no we don't like, let's get their profit. It's confusing, Mark, Yeah, let's get there. Then you get rated by profit. So we're like we're like growth in traction.
Speaker 1: So so we have two really good schemes here from a tax point of view in Australia for startups.
Speaker 2: Well, they're probably three. So you probably probably heard of ESIC. So Malcolm Turm will introduce the n and National Innovation Science Agenda Back in twenty seventeen, and there's something called ES I see, so where Angel and Vesta's got a twenty percent tax credit capital gain in STUXT that's right. So that's so, yes, we have there's the ES I see, there's the Junior scheme, the Senior scheme, and then there's our R and D scheme as well. So there's there's three pretty good schemes to be honest.
Speaker 1: And then when that was when Malcolm term introduced the Innovation Nation concept of Australia in the Innovation Nation. And as I said earlier, this is ins who end up becoming the embassador of the USA, and now you just talked about him in relation to that help us on aircraft prototype. Arthur was running that for Malcolm. I think, as I said earlier, it was the Minister for Innovation of Science for a long time.
Speaker 2: He's going out of the blue bag. When I was Queensland Chief Entrepreneur for a year, he just called me out of the blow We have a chat and stuff.
Speaker 1: Queensland Chief for the government.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the government. Yeah, it's pretty cool. We don't get party. It's pretty cool bsiness card you walk around with. But yeah, I was supposed to be the first one and then we found out we're having twins. My wife said, no, you're not going to do that. So Mark Alby, who was Mark from his Blue Sky Equity, I.
Speaker 1: Haven't even know who he is. Sorry, So that your fund now, So your fund which they given that the super funds mandated this outside of their realm, so they can't spend. You've formed this fund and this fund is investing in in all these technis.
Speaker 2: So we invest so I can get a little bit more complicated. For so, under the ESVC or Peace scheme, you have to invest at least eighty percent of your committed capital in Australian businesses, and you can do twenty percent off. Sure, So we have some US businesses as well. For the most part, we invest in sovereign austraim businesses who want to move whoever demand and whose home eventual home is the US. Yeah, yeah, so yeah, we've we've got fifty we got almost sixty shoarholders investors in that business, about twenty one point five four million dollars. There were spreadsheets correct this morning, we've invested in seven businesses, should have been eight. One just fell over annoyingly, but you know, never under restaurate entrepreneurs ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of the trick. As they say, we'll probably get them back. So we've got businesses that We've got two space businesses. We've got a said the counter drone business I mentioned before. We have a business that makes a long range artillery sholl So artillery shehell normally goes thirty kilometers. This thing goes one hundred and fifty. Well, I've put a ramjet motor in the front of it and and sort of, yeah, shoot out an artillery piece and the ram jet motor starts up, and it goes one hundred and fifty k's and it lands of less effect, landing with forty seven kilos of effect. It lands with eight kre loads of effect. But eight kilos is like sixteen hand grd agent. It's still a pretty much bad day for the person who gets it. So that's that's another US business. And the team they're like they've sold businesses to Google and Apple before. You look at the team and they are making roofing nails Mark, I'd invest in the making roofing.
Speaker 1: Now. Yeah, by these financials they seem is that good. Yeah, you mentioned that ultimately you want to take it to the US market and sell something to the US. How do you know these people in the US?
Speaker 2: Well, we have a US fenturepartment, so that Shawn Singleton, he's a former US Air Force chap that defense innovation, you know, that really good innovation business. I was a government departments at before JP Morgan. He's a financial background. He's the politest man alive to mark with a goal is to get and just wear one before he dies. But he's exceptionally polite, Southern gentleman, and so like, how do you.
Speaker 1: Build these relationshships up?
Speaker 2: Its a great bad I love it. You've an Australian accent, so you naturally they naturally want to talk to you, right really yeah, oh very much. So that gets your foot in the door. I mean after that you've got to be a bit more with children. But that literally it's an amazing asset when you do business in the US. How do we get them? So trade shows are helpful and then you land and expand. If I'm one person, you know, you start the cocktail party, then you have the meetings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a lot of sort of networking, but not in the loose sense.
Speaker 2: Well of those two hundred and seventy five organizations that can buy in a low dock method. We have web close connections into sixty of those. Wow, we think probably fifty or sixty are probably just offices empty with a brass plant on the outside. To be truthful, you know, they're probably like the old Apollo office was in there. They're not sending the men to them move they've started again, I suppose, but you know so so we I suppose we know how to we know the easy ways to get in what we do for our businesses is if this might blow austrain as a way, but that in the US there's nine thousand and seven hundred taxation jurisdictions. Wow, every state, city, and county can lodge their own tax and often do. Yeah, impose their own tacks, yep, pose their own So you have fifty states, you know, US never knows it's fifty states. So you have all these other counties. There's some states that you should never do business here. So places that don't have a loy call are at well employment, which means you can fire the person on that day. And you have a very different approach to industrial relations. If you go to Texas, or Florida, go to some place where you can basically tell the person to bugger up and don't come back again. They're really flexible states, and people like setting up there.
Speaker 1: California is slightly different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, California's bad, Oregon's bad. There's a whole bunch of ones you're run scared from basically, But then you also need to then and democracy is very much done in the open over there, and as in Australian it feels a little bit dirty and groddy. So I've been on Capitol Hill and lobbied as in Washington, Washington, you know I've gone lobbied. You know, elect to Representative staff is over there. Dozens of times. You walk go on it off, you sign in. It's all open. There's a register. You know. You go to the guy who's you know, the Florida or the Texas sort of representative, and you know if you put a factor in his district, it will work to get your line on. And the thing written in the US Defense budget, it won't mention you by name, but it looks like you're the only person who can deliver that because it's it's written so tight that it actually pitch your specifications, so he will a lobby to do that and it's all done in the open as in Australian it feels bloody corrupt, right, Yeah, it's just that you do business in the US. Yeah, so you've got to break that. You've got to break that. Don a nurse, you can't. You've got to do that because your competitors are doing that. So by god, you've got to do that.
Speaker 1: How much having you having lived there for a while, did assist that or is it just more on you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: This is I live there for you. I've learned this over over the last three or four years. To be honest, I happen to.
Speaker 1: Be aggressively aggressive in that regardless. I mean when I'm in aggressive I do I mean tough guy aggressive, I mean like relentless.
Speaker 2: About the other people to describe me Mark, I'm not too sure to be honest, I don't know. I think Australians aren't as assertive. We're a bit laid back. Yeah, like Americans. Oh I say that. Americans. You know, they're very very confident. Born with a pitch deck in the hand, they can they can pitch. They're very confident. Yeah, they've got no problem faking it before they make it. Where was in Australia. We don't tend to do that. That's a disadvantage. We have to break that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so uh and so am I.
Speaker 2: When I look at how Shan operates in the US, for example, whilst he's been acceptionally polite man, he's he has that American flair about him and he can he can do the stuff that I find a little cringeing.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe you could explain what that is when you see very good flair.
Speaker 2: Trying to give give an example. Now it give them a director, give a direct example. It's like you must have been the pictures of these guys. You go there and you're like, look, if you ever seen the pressment. You hear like Mark A. Rubio, Yeah, who's just the most amazing guy, you know what I mean? And he looked at our feet, look out of bloody politicians. Excuse in comparisons. That's that's the delta. Yeah, you go there and you come out. And actually I was in Perth. I've just mentioned I flew in the Red Eye this morning. I was in Perth and I was meeting a business over there. We'd love to invest in. They had the US representative over in person. We caught up for a bar and he's actually a strange living in the US, and he came and he gave me that you can tell he's been. He's been, he's lived in the he's been steeped in that US ecosystem for probably five or six years. Because when he spoke, he commanded. He left you no certain doubt he was going to get that thing done. He identified, like he identified that the people needed to attack, to convince, to control in order to get these contracts through, if you know what I mean, in a very very confident way. So we shun. We had one example there where we were dealing with the very boring story. We're dealing with an Air Force unit that ran but that operates the bombing rangers, and so was it was his way into ingratiating his way in there. He investigated who the guy went to school with, and he worked out he had someone in his background who was common if you know what I mean, absolutely exploited that this absolutely tenuous link.
Speaker 1: So sort of somewhat profile. Yeah, but in a good way.
Speaker 2: They don't. But no one takes it badly. Everyone expects as there's a little bit of bullshit.
Speaker 1: Ya.
Speaker 2: So whereas in Australi we tend to we call the bullshit out whereas in the US they said to celibrate the bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because it's because that's where you're party of Adam and apart from identifying for your investors it's a good investment because it's an early stage et cetera. And all the other government sort of you know, there's tax offsets and those tax benefits. I guess what you're doing though, is taking helping the startup people through your connections turn it into something out there in terms of who might end up being an end up and customer.
Speaker 2: We're a US market entry organization. Our job is that So when I when I started this, I thought I thought it'd be like a playbook. Yeah, it's like a soccer three D tetrasport. The way you get in there, if you follow the path, you'll get there. But it's free, bloody complicated. So but it's just it's we invest in people we think are the best in their field in the world. And then so but for me, the bottom sixty percent of businesses identical the top forty percent of secret source and that's that's what they do. But you know, I add operated business. We know for the most part how to get a better chance of success operating and business in the US. So you know, you don't go to Oregon, for example, they have this if they have a concept. They're called hub zones historically underserved business something or other. So it's a poor area. If you put thirty five percent of your staff in a hub zone, for example, and that's a if you're if you're hit by a hurricane the last ten years, you're automatically a hub zone for example. Right, So you put thirty five percent of your staff in a hub zone, then you get a ten percent dispensation when bidding for federal contracts. So if you have that status and you're better a federal contract at a million bucks for the leg up, yeah, I have to consider you at nine hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So as you do that, if you have a fifty one percent female ownership of your business, if you have a service to sayable veteran, and you get another ten percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there's always tricks tricks to the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your competitor and then it all feels weird. It's very confusing. But your competitors are doing it, so you can't not plan, You've got to do it. Yeah, so it's making sure and then you know, if you're selling just a special operations command in the US, and they are, I mean, this is the way that they should do business. I mean a the so common in the US that they're the innovation arms. Omon ywers have a budget that size the Ross Rain Air Force, which is just bloody incredible. He it's a massive budget. But then what they do is they have very open They put these solicitations out saying, hey, we need this, we need satellites or magic boots or magic guns or whatever it is, you know, and so you go and pitch them right, and it's all very open. It's very business like. They publish numbers and stuff. You know, Seal Team six public perchaing officer has got a number he publishes, and you go there and if you win that business, then what happens is if you get brought into that that so comy. Their aim is to get your gear used by the regular US Defense Force, which is a larger purchasing power. Because when they do that, it then goes off their budget and under that budget, when you get into this wonderful.
Speaker 1: That's why they want to get you off. They want to get you in to get off their budget.
Speaker 2: And again they're very very fast to get in the way there. I mean, when you approach these guys, don't don't. Don't take them half bay technology because the will test the real conditions and if it doesn't work, they'll be're dead to them. So you take very very good stuff, get us through that system, and they like it. Ayre great, but we like it. We're going to keep using it. But if we can convince the other army to pay for it. And so they try and drag you through sales process, yeah, which is bloody beautiful. Yeah, but they'll leave and send a testing crews over to Australia. This scheme called FCT Fine Comparative Testing. So I'll send like does and or so people over who are experts in their field and we'll spend a week with your technology. Will buy a part of it, they need to. They have an extraordinary ability to purchase stuff and they'll test it. They'll go back and understand whether whether they should buy it or not. So you don't have to you don't even have to jump on a plane to go there. So I suggest you do. We look at businesses where a co founder or materially a senior executive who's materially equity incentivized will reside in the US. If not in front of your customer five days a week, your competitor is you're always going to lose. You've got to buy into that market.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: To get the best, you've got to be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's another way to do it, really other than your being there and in.
Speaker 2: Our capital game stactual, I have more reasons to move to the US, to be honest, market you go over there and find someplace that taxes you at fifteen percent instead of bloody forty seven.
Speaker 1: Well, once you get past that two and fifty million to them.
Speaker 2: That for the investors, but for the start, for the actual founders and the yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because the founders don't get there, do they. No, No, it's only for investors. That's an interesting point.
Speaker 2: They actually explicitly carved out of it too. Actually, now I think about it, are they Yeah, because you can understand they could be a little bit of Shenanigan if they let them do that. To be honest, Yeah, you start your own business, with your own text, with your own tax free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, So it's not available to founders, there's only available investors, and the idea is to attract capital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a very successful scheme. I mean, it's it's a it's a I think one of the best schemes of the world personally. So yeah, final question for you.
Speaker 1: And there's probably nothing to do with your fund. By the way, what's the name of your fund.
Speaker 2: It's called Beaten's Own Venture Partners Beaten B A T N Z O E Zone So venture Partners Partners. Yeah. So when I started the journey with with the Army, I saw a few things, Like one of the things I saw was that the businesses in the defense sector were shown by polite society. So a lot of guys couldn't bank in their couldn't bank in their business name. You can't get make someone to deal with it credit cards yet, so I thought, look, Beaten Zone is it's a it's a business. My my my absolute laser focused goals or turn multiples of invested capital back to my investors. I'm investing six million bucks that twenty So I've got skid in this game, right. But so it's not a charity, right, But I didn't want to stand behind these people I'm investing. I want to stand beside them. So the beaten zones and a military terms, it's a part of the battle for the rule of bullets land essentially, right. So there's you know, there's more lethal places against stamp and not very many. So it's like, you know, it's on the tip night, we're not we're not trying to hire what we do. I think a lot of the a lot of the issues Western society is having at the moment because we use euphemisms instead of something uncomfortable truths, if you know what I mean. So, we don't want soldiers to governor battle, but if we do, we want to have the most well armed, most well trained, most violently controlled woman we get our hands on. But please don't make issues them. Yeah, right, So I think in.
Speaker 1: Words, and I think the point you're trying to make is you're not a warmager because you don't want war. I've got three kids. I think, all, yeah, that's the last thing one. But but you know, if if but you want enough someone from Australia or anywhere for that matter, in the in the the good guys goes to well, you want to make sure that they're not going to They're going to have the best possible chance of survival.
Speaker 2: Now, I think the terrence is probably the best way to do it, because yeah, starts, it's just a horrible thing to kick off.
Speaker 1: Totally, and so just on that. So you have me fairly vocal on this. What do you think of the IRM wire, I.
Speaker 2: Want to really say for Australia and prosperous Australia, and I think to do that we need a really a really good US government and really strong US government. And I think the Republicans are more at least what the Republican Gun has done with the Reflected Defense and that sort of stuff, that they can guarantee our future more. And I think the chance of a good outcome in Iran was two out of five and we're seeing this three out of five downside at this point in time, right, Yeah, I think there's such a poor chance of a good outcome. So look, if anyone need a blowing up, it was a mother. So no no love loss for their running ragially, don't get me wrong, but just that I just hope that he was staring at a piece of intelligence said they're days away from a nuclear weapon or something like that. Otherwise I don't understand it.
Speaker 1: Otherwise you're got to George Bush moment. Yeah, webs of mass destruction, webs of mass destruction there in the nineties.
Speaker 2: So you know, they haven't militarily prevailed, but it's not as an economic issue now right with the respect that's straight within within the five years, this is the Comien issue. They'll be pushing oil and gas out of the out of the North America's out of the Gianna and placing me in the Garnet. The reserves in Gianna and Argentina coming on line, they'll blow the Middle East away. Wow if you yeah, so obviously they did the Venezuelan rain, but you've got the back of Verta down in Argentina, which is a massive field. You've got the Garnon fields which are bigger than Saudi Arabia for christ. You know, they are massive. So once they come online, and that's being accelerated now because of this issue, then yeah, and there's there's like hundreds of years of world oil supply.
Speaker 1: Do they get at any stage, I mean sometimes they get a bit conspiratory, but do you think it any stage the actually outcome or objective of the war in Iran could be that you want Iran to close everything down and you want no more oil coming out of those places and just opens up the oil produces in other parts of the world.
Speaker 2: This is a this is a subject of Beers two nights ago, and perpose I was I was laughing. Actually, we'll sort of I'm trying to understand if that was actually that the purpose of this positive downside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, positive downsid or or an actual downside that they're going for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think that it's like, I mean, there's there's there's stories about supply and demand the past and the big one. There's a great newsletter. I don't know if you're I'm not sure if you're recalled Doomberg might afford that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ye. So they did one on the what happened with the rubber back in World War two. So the Japanese took control of the Malaysan rubber fields, and like all of a sudden, no one had any rubber, and within like nine months they created synthetic rubber, and so they no longer needed the Malaysian rubber fields. So I think a part of this, so the competitive reaction out of this through the Trada runs is are you going to be more pipelines not going through the Trada humors, which I think will be good, and then utilizing oil reasons elsewhere. So you've got the amazing sort of US oil story. You've got the Central and the Argentinian stories as well, So we'll find a little from other places that are less problematic, to be trueful.
Speaker 1: And even even the new prominence of the UK is now talking about opening up again. And you know the apparently the oil reserves in the North Sea are like monstrous, but there's just haven't look for anything for a long time.
Speaker 2: We can do the same in Bastralia because bastraight's still that hasn't been tapped back to it and to any large degree.
Speaker 1: Good luck seeing it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it'd be bit harder, isn't it.
Speaker 1: See back to this has been fantasy. I really enjoy this conversation. Probably I want to just want to throw to you last words for those people who and I'm not here as a proponent or an advocate or someone who's against this, but I'm here to actually hear your story for someone who's investing in defense capability, let's call it that here in Australia. What would you say to others who are nervous about that or and I don't mean economically, just nervous about doing that from the point of view of the look or perhaps the ethics of it, What would you say to those individuals.
Speaker 2: I understand why from an economic senseenc it's a rising market, so their economic justifications are simple. But then there's social justifications, and I understand that. Look, I think that it's unfortunately it's a human condition. And you know, for as much as you might dislike war, it doesn't care about your feeling. It's going to kick you front door in and I think they're best go out putting it. Yeah, I think the best waut of this is is de terrence quite literally. I mean, and I have three daughters. I think I'd love if they voluntarily want to deserve, if you know what I mean, if we had to conscript them we've lost, or if they were forced to serve because of a war we've all lost. I want to prevent that. Yeah, I think the way to prevent that what I'm actually trying to do. And I said in a philosophical as, Yeah, but what I'm and I want to say my business is a business, is not a charity. But if I get it right, I can demonstrate a better way that we can do defense funding. I'm going to back some young kid who's going to go on to be the next billionaire, for example. Right then he's going to back two young kids to be the next billionaire. So we can create this defense investing flywheel and get more sovereign sovereign impact of Australia. That's my fervent hope and I think the most honest way to do that is to for investors to invest and get returns on capital and want to keep going back and doing it again and doing it again, so we can prove if we can prove a non government backway, a private capital, free enterprise way forward and that's repeatable, I'm not die happy, man, Marks. That's the best thing we can do.
Speaker 1: Steeve, based of these from much next Mark