Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That?
Speaker 2: The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians.
Speaker 1: I'm Michael Thompson.
Speaker 2: I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mamma TV, the financial literacy platform that is on YouTube, podcast books, TikTok, Instagram threads and more.
Speaker 1: Hello Canna, good morning.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 2: I am exceedingly well. Today we are going to be digging into a topic that can be a little bit uncomfortable at.
Speaker 3: Times, controversial, polarizing.
Speaker 2: Yet it is something that feels very real for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: This is important. We need to be talking about this, We need to be getting uncomfortable in this episode.
Speaker 2: Indeed, this is the middle class money trap. All right, So you earn decent money, you're doing okay, but somehow you do not feel like you're get a head. You're not struggling, right, but you're also not building kind of real financial freedom either. What's going on?
Speaker 1: That is the question. We're setting ourselves a fairly lofty goal.
Speaker 2: But yeah, as soon as you start talking about class, particularly in Australia, it becomes a very it's a difficult conversation.
Speaker 3: It's uncomfortable and it's confronting, and yeah, it's I feel funny about this, but I feel it. I know that there's a lot of value in actually breaking this down and talking about it and racing it front on, if you like, what.
Speaker 1: Do we mean by the middle class money trap?
Speaker 3: So the middle class money trap is where as you said, someone is earning good money, so anything above. I think the definition of middle class is above one hundred and twenty to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year. And they appear from the outside to be doing well financially, but behind closed doors, the reality is that they're not actually making any sort of meaningful financial progression. You know, they have a nice home, they might drive a nice car, They might even have say children in like local private schools. They seem to go on lovely holidays, you know, domestic and international, but they also have you know, the expenses of modern day life and the increasing expenses of modern day life, and this is where so much of their income is sucked up and a lot of it is been absorbed in the lifestyle creep over a long period of time, and there isn't much leftover to show at the end of the day. And because of that, they're never really making any sort of meaningful shift or change in improving their financial wellbeing. And this is where a lot of people are scratching their head, going, well, I own really good money, but why is there nothing left over to show for it at the end of the day. And this is, you know, a classic example.
Speaker 2: So how do you get into this busy? Why do so many households that are earning good money feel financially stuck? Is it because that those things, as you say, that lifestyle creep that as soon as you've got say, school fees, they're not going anywhere and they're only just going to get more expensive. That there is this expectation that the car you're going to drive, you're going to kind of replace that and match it, or that you're in a way trying to keep up with everyone around you, keep up with the joneses, and as a result, you're never actually going to make any progress even though you are actually earning pretty good money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is why we need systems and structures in place to help get ahead of that lifestyle creep before it happens, or allows you to increase your lifestyle, but under your terms and conditions, you know, with your boundaries in place, it happens so easily. And interestingly, if you think back, you know, ten years ago, if you were earning you know, say one hundred and twenty one hundred three thousand dollars, that was a lot of money. Yeah, you know, you had a lot of money left over the well, it gave you a lot of change. But because we've had inflation and the rising costs are living, you know, we're now left with nothing when you're owning this type of money. So it happens very easily, and this is why it's so important to have that awareness that you don't ever become a victim of this lifestyle creep.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it's kind of less about splurging and less about kind of just having rampant spending and more about kind of structural costs, so things that are like your mortgage, school fees, that kind of thing, that those expenses just keep on creeping up and taking a big chunk of your income. It's not about the fact that, hey, you're going out for dinner every second night, and that's why you've got nothing to show for it.
Speaker 1: It's like almost a structural thing.
Speaker 3: I think now, yes, if you go back, you know, when we didn't have inflation a serious problem and the rising cost of living, definitely it was more discretionary spending. But now it's the essentials that are really dominating most family budgets and leaving us with nothing left over.
Speaker 1: Do you think then that people and the perception of this.
Speaker 2: We talked about the fact that this is uncomfortable and uncomfortable thing to talk about. Do you think that there is a case where people confuse high income with financial progress. They assume that, hey, because you're earning a lot of money, therefore you have made good financial progress without actually realizing what's happening behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think we fool ourselves as well. Just because you are financially comfortable doesn't mean you are financially successful. And you know, there is this whole keeping up with the Jones mentality as well that goes on in every single suburb around Australia.
Speaker 2: So you know what this podcast is named after, isn't it? How do they afford that? It's the question that I think everyone has asked about someone that they know, a neighbor, a family member, or a friend.
Speaker 3: How on the intrigue voyeurism.
Speaker 1: Indeed, it is.
Speaker 2: In terms of how this comes about and then how to either prevent it or fix it. Is there is there a danger that people focus too much on some of those on the big assets like having a nice house, building up their superannuation, and not enough just on the day to day cash flow. And as a result, they find themselves getting kind of what is an asset asset rich asset.
Speaker 3: Rich cash pourse. So they think about, as you said, the big the big shiny toys, and the glitz and glamour of you know that comes with say you think you blo earn good money. I can afford this, I deserve it, I'm entitled to it, I'm rewarding myself. So yes, you can lose track of actually what the real cost of living actually looks like and what is actually you know, affordable, and what's actually wise and also not just what's affordable right now, what's going to be affordable and say three four, five years time where interest rates change again, or you've got say another family member or another child that you've got to educate or another spence that comes your waist. You need to be thinking about what's actually going to work for you now and is safe. Also what's going to remain safe as well because life changes, it's unpredictable. You need to make sure that you're looking at the big picture here.
Speaker 1: How do you know if this applies to you? Is there a warning sign?
Speaker 3: I think intuitively most people know deep down whether they are a victim of this middle class money trap. You know that there is nothing left you are asking yourself this question, or is where is all the money going? You know, and you're not seeing any progress. You're not seeing the mortgage come down, or you're seeing it come down a very slow, frustrating rate, or it's been another year where you haven't been able to find money to start investing, or you know you still haven't been able to set up that salary sacrificing. These are the red flags that you are potentially part of this and that the sooner you can do something, the better. Because not only is this money trap sometimes a waste of money, particularly when there is a large allocation of your budget going towards discretionary spending, you're also wasting valuable, precious time that could be actually helping you pay down the mortgage sooner, start investing, building up your super having emergency money, and actually alleviating the financial stress in your life. And you know, it's the thing with the money trap is that people can make it look like, oh, we're killing it in life. We'd go off on this holiday and we just got back from that holiday, and we're going to upgrade the car, and we're going to be buying a boat, and you know, they're living this life on a built with a pack of cards. It could come crumbling down and behind the scenes what it does to someone's stress levels and anxieties is huge, and where it infiltrates into the other parts of your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we do need to acknowledge, of course, that there is a lot of privilege involved in this conversation. One hundred percent that this is the case that there would be people listening to this. This sounds like a problem I would like to have, right to be in that position of having enough money to be able to have those things and then wonder where the money. This is not something that applies to everyone. We completely understand that, but it doesn't change the fact that for a lot of people that it's kind of almost then feeling trapped in the jobs that they're doing just in order to continue to fund the basics that lifestyle, which isn't a healthy place to be in either because.
Speaker 3: You're backed in a corner and your options, most options are taken away. You almost need to kind of push through or make a major change.
Speaker 2: Okay, we have established what the problem is. We've established kind of how you get into that position. We're going to take a quick break. On the other side of the break, it is how to get out of it, or if you suspect you could be heading in that direction, the steps that you need to take in order to prevent it from taking place. Back in a second, can we are talking about the middle class money trap today? We've established what it is that it's basically this, as your lifestyle expands to kind of meet the money that you're earning. You feel like you're actually earning pretty good money, but the school fees, there's mortgage costs, and even the grocery bill.
Speaker 1: That inflation has.
Speaker 2: Caused these costs just to explode, and as a result, that just doesn't feel like there's anything left. If someone is listening to this right now and thinks that, hey, this actually does sound like me.
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 2: What are the steps?
Speaker 3: So the first thing is the acknowledgment, going, yep, you know what this is us. This is exactly what Kenna and Michael are talking about. This is where we are, and we want to change it. Some people are very happy to live this life, you know. They don't. It doesn't impact them, it doesn't wear them down. They sometimes some people even enjoy the adrenaline of living like this, you know. But if you're listening to going this is where we are and we hate it, it doesn't service. It is time to do something about it. But the first thing is obviously taking that responsibility and saying, okay, all right, this is where we are. We're going to learn and grow and we'll never get back to this position ever again. So then you look at all right, go straight to the budget. Look at where all your money is going. And I have a course where I teach people how to do a budget and a cashrow system. But look at where the financial wastage is. And this is why it's worth looking at your value system so you can see, well, actually have outgrown that, or I don't value that anymore and you can look to cut it, and then you start to build financial buffers and breathing space in your life, so making some extra payments where you can on any debt, building some goals around those debts as well, so that you don't feel suffocated by the lifestyle creep, you don't feel suffocated by your previous historical decisions in life where you have perhaps previously wrapped up a whole pile of credit card debt in order to pay for all these things and keep up with everyone else. It's about owning it and going right. I'm going to build a goal, set a goal, and I'm going to start paying that down so you can actually start immediately feeling a bit better and a lot more empowered about what you can actually do to fix this, because at the end of the day, it boils down to us. We are not going to you know, someone's not going to come out of nowhere and wave a magical wand and fix our finances. There's a lot of personal growth and development that comes from going through this, and then of course looking at Okay, what do I really want in my life? What does my life look like? In order to be able to enjoy it on a meaningful level where I can see the financial progress. Does that look like a share port follow? Does that look like having a mortgage paid off? Does it look like having a lot of money and superannuation knowing that I'm on track to retire. Everybody's different. There's no wrong or right, but as long as it reflects back to what your goals are, your value system, and what's going to help take the stress and pressure off your life so that you can enjoy life again, because you know, it's a bit of a beato killer financial stress, you know, and it impacts our relationships, It impacts our physical and mental health. We feel forced into career paths that we don't necessarily feel fulfilled and you know, rewarded necessarily. So we can sort of come to that. And this is where I think a lot of people decide to then downsize the home if they are if they're in a fortunate position where they own a home, they look at downsizing, or perhaps they look at moving to a different area where it's not as expensive and they don't have as many transactions, so not transactions don't have as many distractions and temptations around them, So you know, there is a lot of work to be done, but this is completely fixable, and how much you want to fix it comes down to how much you want to change things. And you know, maybe for some people, and I've seen this as well, where people move away temporarily just to help find themselves again and rebuild and get off that hedonistic treadmill.
Speaker 2: If you like it's breaking the cycle. Yeah, okay, as you're talking, it sounds to me like it is less about kind of going out and trying to earn more in order to increase the amount of money that's coming into the household, and more just about good old fashioned cash flow management and.
Speaker 3: Just sometimes the soulfness of just going back to the essentials, the basics, and stripping everything back and going all right, let's start again from scratch and rebuild from here.
Speaker 2: The hard part there, right, would have to be the psychological element. Hue, do this right, because it is really quite something, especially if you have built yourself up into this position, and you have got yourself at a house, and you've got yourself a nice car perhaps and holidays and things. To actually be able to put your hand up and say this isn't working for me anymore.
Speaker 1: That would be really hard.
Speaker 3: It's hard, but it's also liberating because that's where the shift happens, and you have this sense of relief going, all right, I'm not burying my head in the sand. I'm not going to live my life like this. I deserve better. I'm smarter, and we can transform this and you can.
Speaker 1: Does it.
Speaker 2: I'm really just fascinated by the psychological side of it because it would also feel though, as though you don't have a right to complain because you're earning good money, You've got really nice things. Therefore, how is it fair to then say, hey, I can't do this anymore, I need help, I need some support. It feels like you've you've kind of put yourself in that position of being unable to complain, because if you do, it's just like, oh, the poor little rich person is now complaining about their about having too many nice things. You know, And I know that I'm paraphrasing, I'm generalizing here, but I'm just trying to put myself in the position of someone going.
Speaker 1: How is that going to look to those around them?
Speaker 3: Why are we judging ourselves? Everyone here is doing the best job they can. It's like judging, you know, someone for like putting on weight and giving up on their exercise. Like everyone's on their own journey. Everyone's trying to do the best they can with the situation they're in and the tools and opportunities around them. I think there is something extremely honorable about saying, all right, we got a little bit well with our money, we got a little bit responsible, we did actually have a really good time, and we're grateful for all the you know, the lifestyle and the holidays and the weekends away. But now things get real and I'm ready for this new chapter. It doesn't need you don't need to be ashamed or embarrassed or feel guilty about your past. And you know, we are surrounded by this constant materialism and consumerism and all the advertising and marketing around us, you know, which is really sophisticated and really clever at sucking the money out of our bank accounts. We just now need to be a lot smarter than that and identify when it does actually improve our lives and when it's actually a waste of money. And you know, learning also how to compromise with money as well. It's not about just stopping spending money completely, and you know, living off the center of an early rag. It's about going okay, well, instead of having two holidays a yeah, we'll maybe have one holiday every twenty four months, and we'll included weekends awave domestically as well, Like it's about finding ways that you can within the family unit, you know, be on the same page together and keep every everyone connected and moving in the right direction.
Speaker 2: I actually think that's a really good place to leave it, because it's quite a positive way to finish. And the fact is that this would be a stressful place for people to be in because there's not much kind of margin fererra. I suppose if you have got yourself living to a point of yes, you've got high expenses, high income as well, if something does go wrong, there is actually not much room if something goes south, yeah, and you need to find a lot of money quickly, you may not be able to do it. And it's got to be a stressful way to live, right.
Speaker 3: It's terrifying. Why would you want to do that to yourself and to your loved ones as well? But can I say one last thing? Yes, you said no, I'd like too bad.
Speaker 1: I know I've got no say in this. Go on?
Speaker 3: You know, building wealth or really, I don't think has too much to do with what you earn, but more about what you do with what you earn. And sometimes if you feel that you are a part of this middle class money trap, it's perhaps the time to look at redesigning your life, you know, being more intentional with money and looking at ways to get your money to work harder few rather than you always working harder for money.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: If we want more information from you, find you one.
Speaker 3: Well quotes the days, a.
Speaker 1: Little bit more inspiration, more motivation. We head to Instagram. I must hear me.
Speaker 3: Actually, oh, two's something different. I have started a sub stack account, really yes, and it's called Quiet Wealth and I've only just penny just dropped. I talk about this a lot, about this need to just silence the noise around us and the distractions and just go deep within to work out who we are, what we stand for, and what actually does actually make us feel authentically wealthy beyond the dollars and cents.
Speaker 1: Quiet wealth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, all right, sounds good. And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on fear and Greed business news.
Speaker 1: You can news.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to how do they afford that. Remember to hit follow on the podcast, and the best thing you can do is tell somebody else send them a link to this episode if you think that they might benefit from hearing it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your company. Join us again next week.