Speaker 1: This is the US Report with James Moroar. Good evening and welcome to the program. Huge week in American politics. So here's what's coming up tonight. It's the shutdown sweeps, But is MAGA about to give up on one of its most powerful weapons just to bring the crisis to a close. Plus Gavin Newsom tries to beat Trump at his own game. Should Republicans be worried? For twenty twenty eight? And she's out a here. World class stock picker Nancy Pelosi is finally retiring. You're not gonna want to miss Donald Trump's reaction. But first, well, allow me to join all those who have offered up their congratulations to Zoron Mom Donnie, the newly elected Democrat socialist mayor of New York City, whom this program endorsed just last week, Because well, if adults want to do dumb things, sometimes you just have to let them do it and let them deal with the consequences. And you know what, I'm not gonna lie or sugarcoat it. Election Tuesday was a disaster for the Republicans. It saw a bunch of big wins for Democrats, not just in New York City but in other key races in New Jersey, where Democrat Mikey Charrell knocked off Republican challenger Rick Chittarelli, and in Virginia, where not only did Democrat Abigail Spanberger beat Republican Winsome Earl Sears, but where as well, Democrat Attorney General j Jones also beat his Republican opponent, Jason Mayarez, despite his campaign being rocked by text matches scandals, which revealed not only that Jones once fantasized about murdering that's right, shooting dead Republican legislators, but also appeared to celebrate the idea of their children being killed too. So much for the politics of civility. Now, there's a lot of reasons why all this happened, including a public servant heavy Virginia where there was a lot of anger over the ongoing government's shutdown. But you know, the big story of the week remains this guy, Zorn Mamdanni, the soon to be Democrat socialist mayor of New York, who prevailed over Democrat turned independent Andrew Cuomo and Republican candidate Curtis Sliwa. So at this point we really need to look at what happened here who are these people who actually voted for this guy? Why did they vote for him? And has he cracked a formula that the Democrats can use more broadly going into the midterms and twenty twenty eight to prevail over Donald Trump and the MAGA movement. And here's the biggie. Is New York City now going to get its free buses, free childcare, captaints, defund police and lord knows what else Zoron has in store for them. Well, first of all, to the question of who voted him in, let's ask Zoron himself. This is who Zoron mam Danmi says was behind his movement.
Speaker 2: I speak of Yemeny bodega owners and Mexican abuelas, Senegalese taxi drivers and usbeck nurses, Trinidadian line cooks and Ethiopian aunties, yes, aunties.
Speaker 1: Where were the Irish pub owners the French pastry chefs. I don't know. But notice one thing that he didn't talk about at all. He didn't talk about, you know, actual Americans. Because Zoron Mamdani is the face of the new multicultural ethic of the left, one that spurns the simulation in the old melting pot for a Hotel America model where people define themselves by their individual ethnic identity, not by their common americanness. And indeed, Mom Donnie's victory goes to the heart of a much bigger problem, not just of illegal migration, but also legal migration encouraged by people who believe that you can bring people from very different cultures in and they will automatically become lovers of individualism and freedom and capitalism as soon as they set foot on US soil or let's be frank, Australian soil as well. Demographics is destiny, and as Mom Donnie's own campaign videos suggest, well not so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you has got my citizen issues. Hey, congratulations for congratulations.
Speaker 1: So that's part of it. You know, you get your citizenship you vote for Mom Donnie, and it is a fundamentally reshaping of New York, a fundamentally reshaped New York that helps push him over the line, because I mean this is a shocks me. You know, imagine coming to become a citizen of the greatest capitalist power in the history of the world and voting for this guy who opened his acceptance speech, his victory speech by quoting a literal communist.
Speaker 2: The sun may have set over our city this evening, but as Eugene Debs once said, I can see the dawn of a better day for humanity.
Speaker 1: Oh how they cheered, Yes, Eugene Deb's the old communists. But I wonder what sort of people are also out there falling for this? What did Joe Biden call it? Malarkey?
Speaker 3: What's your favorite example of socialism?
Speaker 4: That's the word.
Speaker 5: I don't have a big example of it of socialism.
Speaker 3: Between Venezuela, Cuba, Soviet Union.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite one?
Speaker 6: Man, you will go to spot.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna have to go Cuba.
Speaker 7: Ah ah, Man, I'm gonna have to go Cube, I'm gonna have to go Cuba.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's go with it.
Speaker 4: It's just so complicated for me.
Speaker 6: I got so much information in my head, but I'm gonna go with that.
Speaker 3: You think Mandami's the future of the democratic parties?
Speaker 9: I mean, I hope so.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, good old Cuba. Well, it wasn't just socialists who voted for Bob Donnie, but he also has a sport of full on communists as well.
Speaker 3: The grocery store capitalists, which have quite quite a powerful lobby, right one of the grocery store bosses.
Speaker 1: He said, I think of Cristides.
Speaker 3: Right, He said that he was going to pull out of New York City. If Zoron one right, we would say, sure, pull out, and we will take over your grocery stores, right, and we will use them for cheaper groceries, and we will take over the entire food industry. Because that's that's something that can be done if the working class is organized.
Speaker 1: Well. That has worked so well so many times in the past. But let's beat some war voters like this couple who look, you know, very educated and intelligent, but clearly never studied economics.
Speaker 6: And what about the government run grocery stores? Do you think that that's a model that could work.
Speaker 7: Yes, And I think there's too many hungry people and too many potatoes here that are five dollars a pound.
Speaker 1: Are these people serious? Look? The really interesting thing about all this is that for all of Zoron Mam Donnie's claiming to be the mantle of the hero of the ethnic working classes, it is the reasonably well off who really were his biggest supporters. According to this Zenith Research poll taken just before polling day, Mam Donnie's main opponent, Andrew Cuomo, was relatively stronger with Native New Yorkers, low income New Yorkers, and people who lived in public and rent controlled units, But Mam Donnie did better with relatively better with newcomers to the city i e. Transplants from elsewhere in the US or the world, the well off and market rate renters. This exit poll here also showed Mom Donnie doing better with more educated voters. The more education you've had, the more degrees you had, the more likely you were to vote Zoron. But this here was also a massive surprise to me. And there's a big danger in this one here. So much for the idea that young men are conservative and young women are Lefty's trope. This threw this away. This exit poll found that gen Z women broke eighty four percent for Mom Donnie. Well, that's huge, But it also found that gen Z young men also voted sixty eight percent for Mom Donnie. That's an overwhelming preponderance. So what's going on here. Well, there's a lot of theories out there, and we are going to canvass them during the next hour of the program. But let me suggest to you that New York has always drawn people who were smart, ambitious and want to be in whatever field is out there for them. Yet the reality is, especially these days, there aren't enough prestige jobs for every ambitious youngster, and the city is expensive and life is frustrating, and sociologists call this phenomenon the crisis of elite over production. And whenever this happens in society, things get unstable, as they are now. And so when a happy, talking, exotic fellow like Bamdani comes along, overruns their social media, sells them hope and promises a free stuff. Well, of course they vote for him over people like the sour pushed Andrew Cuomo or the raving Curtis Sliwa. Democrats who think the free stuff mantra will play everywhere in the country though, should as a result of this, think twice because the rest of America is very different to New York City. And it's funny. Donald Trump is from New York and his opponent just won the mayoralty there because his hometown rejected him. Yet the country turned out on mass to give Trump a second term last year. So Mom Donnie may Bee popular in New York, but frankly, I doubt his brand of upbeat ethnic socialism will ever play in Peoria. Well, let's bring in my first guest tonight here. Joining me now you know him well is former White House Chief of Staff and senior advisor of Bondai Partners, Mick mulvady.
Speaker 8: Nick.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming on after this very big week in American politics. I want to start off talking about New York zoron Mom, Donnie, and I'll get your reaction to that, but also in the context of other races where Democrats did quite well this week, particularly in Virginia and New Jersey. And I'm wondering how much of this is due to an anti Trump effect, or how much of this is because Trump wasn't out there so much in some of these races, particularly Virginia and New Jersey. Tell us your take.
Speaker 6: You know, James, they say, every time there's a plane crash or a train wreck, fourteen or fifteen things have to go wrong. And all of those things went wrong for the Republicans this week. Trump wasn't on the ticket, his base wasn't motivated. The Democrats were motivated against him. They had some decent candidates, we had some bad candidates. Everything came together and it was really quite surprising. Though at the end of the day, keep in mind that Republicans we didn't really expect to win a lot of these races. We thought we might win the attorney general's race in Virginia. We maybe thought we had a chance in the New Jersey governor's race. In the New Jersey governors race, we lost by thirteen points. That's not close. That's a shellacking. That's an old fashioned butt kicking, and it's hard to spin it any other way. Clearly, the Democrats have taken control of the issue of affordability, inflation, the cost of living, and they worked that to their advantage. Now, granted it came to fruition and different. You had very moderate centrist candidates running in Virginia and New Jersey and an avowed socialist running in New York City. So I think it's sort of hard to figure out where the Democrat Party is going still, But you have to give him credit. They won the week, and they won it big.
Speaker 1: Well, they won the week, and you know, as I said earlier in the program, this really does foreshadow of still a big split within the Democrats. But which way they're going to go? The progressive mom Donny way, or a more establishment way. But on Virginia in particular, how much was that government shut down driving votes for the Democrats in Virginia, which has a large in the north population connected to Washington, d C. And the government because you had those horrific texts and phone messages from Jay Jones, and even he still won as Attorney General having fantasized about the death of Republican opponents and even their kids.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean stopping please allow that to sink in that that Virginia just elected somebody who wanted to shoot his opponent's children. I mean, that's where the party is right now. But to your question about the shutdown, look, if it's going to have an impact anywhere, it would be in the state of Virginia. But still I think even without the shutdown the results are probably about the same. Keep in mind, these are federal workers, whether not they're at work or they're not at work. They just don't like Donald Trump. That is the deep state for the most part. They haven't liked him since twenty sixteen. They're not going to start to like him right now. I don't think it's possible for them to like him any less. So in the shutdown probably played a very very minor role in Virginia. I don't think he played a role at all in New York City or in the state of New Jersey. The media here will try to make it now a loss for Trump because of the shutdown, to put pressure on him to reopen the government and give in to the Democrats on Obamacare. But I certainly hope the Republicans aren't reading too much into the connection between the outcomes of the election and the shutdown.
Speaker 1: Well, just on the show Shutdown, I've been very curious to watch how this shutdown has played played, because normally these things go very well for the Democrats. But I was very interesting to see what Frank Luntz had to say on CNN. Have a look at this.
Speaker 5: Everyone is being hurt by this, everyone's credibility and respect and looking at the government, and the public just looks at this and says, why why can't you find some agreement?
Speaker 6: Why can't you give it?
Speaker 10: Can you?
Speaker 6: Why can't you cooperate?
Speaker 5: It is hurting the Republicans, but it seems to be hurting the Democrats even more.
Speaker 1: And this week we are going to have air traffic control dialed back by ten percent. Air flights doed back by ten percent of major airports. This is really going to start to bite once you start to cut flights and things like that. People going to feel this.
Speaker 6: Now they are, And Frank has a good friend, has been for a long time, and he and I've had this conversation many times. He's right, but he's not exactly right. The public is upset, and that's true, but the public doesn't vote keep him on. The turnout here was extraordinarily low. So a lot of the people that Frank is talking to say that you don't like either party. You know, they're upset with the way Washington is being run. Those generally are not the people that show up in these off year elections. It's the base that votes the really hardcore right and the hardcore left. It's sort of in that sense than James, like a primary election. Not exactly the same, but it certain trends that way. And I got to tell you, the Democrats think they're winning the shutdown. Republicans think they're winning the shutdown. That's why I just don't think the shutdown, to counter to what Frank would suggest, had much of anything to do with his outcome here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think you're probably right there. But just you know, moving forward with the shutdown, you've got other issues as well. You've got the filibuster and the people saying that maybe Donald Trump should end this filibuster rule around, you know, the vote to get the government moving again. Explain to our friends here in Australia who may not be across the ins and outs, what this word means and why it's so important for getting the government funded again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's important for a lot of different things. It's essentially a rule that requires any piece of legislation, with certain exceptions, any piece of legislation in the.
Speaker 9: Senate to.
Speaker 6: Obtain sixty votes. So less a party has sixty votes, it means that anything coming out of the Senate needs to be bipartisan. It's non constitutional, by the way. In fact, it's not even that old. The current filibuster rule was created in the nineteen seventies. It used to be that a senator had to talk in order to filibuster or prevent a vote. That's the old movie if you're familiar with it down there called mister Smith goes to Washington with Jimmy Stewart. But that rule change the nineteen seventies and essentially senators can now just tell everybody that they would talk about it. That constitutes of philibuster, and it essentially means that every vote needs sixty votes. Trump doesn't like it. I don't like it. There's a lot of folks who in the Senate who do like it. Here's the critical part, though, James, to your point, Trump can't change it. Trump cannot change it, has no authority whatsoever to change it. This is an internal rule of the Senate. The Senate itself has to agree to change this, and we tried to put pressure on them in the first term to get to get the filibuster to allow us to redo Obamacare. We've tried again now to try to allow us to reopen the government, and the Senate in many ways cares a lot more about that filibuster than a lot of other things. So I don't think the philibuster rule is going to change, and that's certainly not going to solve the problem we have today with the shutdown.
Speaker 1: But strategically speaking, though, I mean, there could be some time in the future when the Democrats have a small majority in the Senate, and if you got rid of that rule now, then Republicans would lose a big handbreak in the future on you know, whatever radical things they wanted to try.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's certainly the argument, and I can see that argument. My response to that, Believe me, I've had this conversation right as chief of staff with Richard McConnell, with dozens of Republican senators. They're like, look, meck, you know, we need this for the day the Democrats take over. I'm like, you know, the day the Democrats take over. It strikes me that that's what the voters wanted. What you folks are really doing in the Senate is ing the voters from having a say in how their country is run. They could elect fifty nine Republican senators and still not have the ability to pass legislation without having it be bipartisan. I'm not sure that's what the founders wanted. If the Founders had wanted that, they would have put the filibuster rule in the Constitution. But they didn't. And again, there's other sort of breaks against an overreaching Senate, which would be to go back to that rule about just having the ability to speak a filibuster to actually talk and stop things that way, as opposed to just putting your name on a piece of paper and going off to a fundraiser. Believe me, as a man, as a member of the former Member of the House Representatives, I'm not a big fan of the filibuster, and I wish it would go away, but I think it's mostly academic at this point. There's no interest, I think, in the Senate right now to change the philibuster rules.
Speaker 1: But Mick, you may very well have changed my mind on the filibuster. It's so fascinating with US politics, how these debates can echo back for two hundred and fifty years. Mick mulvaney, thank you so much for your time. As always, I says, all right, well, let's go to New York City now. Joining me now is the New York Posts editor at large, Kelly Jane Towards. Kelly, thanks for joining me. You are on the front lines.
Speaker 9: Here.
Speaker 1: We are two days now removed from Zeron Mam Donnie being elected as New York City's mayor elected. I loved the front page of your paper on his win, on your marks, get set Zoe, socialist mom. Donnie wins the race for the Red Apple. Kelly Jane Towards, is it really going to be as bad as all that.
Speaker 11: Yes, I think it might be. Jane's I hate to be a downer, you know, but you know, I have to say. I mean half of New York is feeling very down right now. And in fact, I mean I'm hearing constantly every day multiple Jewish New Yorker friends and colleagues and everywhere. It's just they're very worried because Zone Donni you know, has you know not he refused to denounce globalizing in infactata, which is basically an anti Semitic slogan about you know, murdering his ranglis, and so there were not just him and what he'll do, but what he might unleash.
Speaker 6: You know, there's going to be.
Speaker 11: Since October seventh, we've seen anti semitism in the city Skyrocket and it shocked me. It really did, James, and we're gonna you know, that was after Israel suffered this massacre, and so it's gotten bad. And I think someone like him being elected is sending a message that we're going to tolerate that kind of attitude, that kind of talk, and you can actually win election in the biggest city in America with that kind of talk.
Speaker 1: Well, and not only that kind of talk, but also, you know, all of the socialist economics, the free buses, the rent caps, the government run grocery stores and a your paper, Mondani has said, I am also looking to be clear about the mandate that we won over the course of this election, and it is a mandate to deliver on the agenda that we ran on. Your paper has just reported his remarks there doesn't sound like he's going to moderate after this election. And I tell you what, having lived through other mayors like David Dinkins and Bill de Blasio, this sort of stuff has real consequence on the streets.
Speaker 11: You are correct, James, and that's why a lot of us are very worried about, you know, how what's our life going to look like, how are we going to afford things?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 11: How safe are we going to feel? And in fact, you know, when he gave his victory speech, he actually sounded even less moderate than he did on the campaign chroll, and I wasn't sure that was possible.
Speaker 6: James.
Speaker 11: It's incredible, you know, it's amazing. I was talking to you know, people you know, at events, parties in Brooklyn, that kind of thing, and you know, I'm in I was at in Brooklyn the weekend after the Democratic primary, and one, you know, one woman there who was you know, i'd say, in her fifties, very educated, said she voted for him, and when asked why, because everybody else was a little surprised, she said, well, he has fresh ideas. No, he does not have fresh ideas. As you know, James, these ideas are a century old, and they've failed every single place they've been tried, and often, you know, usually always accompanied by you know, dead people, as we know from Russia, China and anybody else who's tried marx as evil evil ideas. So you know, I can't believe that educated people think he's offering fresh ideas when he's offered anything. But and by the way, busses are basically already free here because you know, more than a third of riders don't pay the fare.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Well, yes, how's your social contract going over there? I think you need a bit of that rut of Giuliani zero tolerance stuff. But you know, I'm fascinated by what you said about the education levels, because I said at the start of the program, one of the things here is as you move up educational attainment, the greater the chance that the New Yorker will have voted for Mom Donnie. Now, how much of this sort of fresh idea, new ideas stuff is about people coming to New York and maybe just feeling like New York hasn't worked out for them and they want the government to maybe come in and fix the problem that they're not having, you know, whatever career take off or the thing that they wanted when they came in from you know, their liberal arts college, you know, Brown University or wherever.
Speaker 11: Well, I think that's that's that's a great theory, James, and I bet you that accounts for some of it. And we do know that you know, very white liberal enclaves where people with those kind of degrees live, those areas voted even more for Mom Donnie than other areas. But there's also a reverse coin reverse out of the coin of that, which is the less time people have been in New York City, the more likely they are to vote for Mom Donnie. So I mean, still, you know, very overwhelming in a lot of these numbers, but you know, people who have been here for not even five years voted something like eighty four percent for Mom Donnie. And then you know, five to ten years, it goes down to seventy something. And so, you know, my theory on that is that perhaps these people, not having lived through Build A Blasio also and not having known anything about the last hundred years of history, also think he's got these fresh ideas because he has Built A Blasio on steroids. And I can tell you, by the time Build A Blasio left office, every New Yorker hated him. And that was one of the things I you know, I learned when I first moved here myself from Washington, d C. Was that anywhere you want on the political spectrum, everybody.
Speaker 4: Hates de Blasio.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, looks kind of.
Speaker 11: Amazing to me. You know that they elect this guy who says that Deblasio is the greatest mayor you know, we've had, But say, haven't been in the city.
Speaker 4: They didn't see it.
Speaker 11: How bad it can he really really get? And it certainly was, you know, crime was out of control. I mean it's still not great, but you know Bill de Blasio was was you know, he you know, he spent a billion dollars giving money to his wife or this mental health program that did absolutely nothing for the people of New York.
Speaker 1: Well, Bill de Bosia was a disastrous and mayor. But without getting into the sort of the history of that there, what I'm having a lot of people ask me in Australia is how did they wind up with this guy? You had Andrew Cuomo, you had other Democrats, and people have talked to in New York saying, any kind of normal Republican of Mike Bloomberg type could have won, any sort of normal Democrat could have won this. How did what was this sort of the backstory that got us here? Because people here are pretty curious about that.
Speaker 11: Well, I'm glad to hear that, and you know, hopefully you know, they got the pop corners that they watch over the next four years what New York City becomes. But James, I've asked that question myself for months now, countless times.
Speaker 4: How how did the.
Speaker 11: Best we could come up with, you know, to versus Mom Donnie was Andrew Cuomo for example. I mean, this guy, you know, killed old people during COVID.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 11: But to be honest, the Republicans really need to get their act together here in New York City and State. I know Curtis, I think he's a very nice guy. There's a lot to be said for him, and I watched both debates. He performed particularly well in the second debate, and listening to it, he seems eminently reasonable. I can't figure out why any normal person wouldn't give him a chance, but he has that ar beside his name, and let's face it, he lost already to Eric Adams.
Speaker 1: Kelly Jane Torrens from the New York Post, thanks so much and good luck in New York. You're always welcome here in Australia. And of course Andrew Cuomo didn't kill people during Cuomo, but his his COVID conduct was rather questionable. But he didn't kill anybody, just to make that very clear. But don't go anywhere, because I've also got a very special guest coming up after this break who has diagnosed exactly what she thinks has gone on behind the scenes with New York's campaign, and says, what happened there could be coming to a ballot box near you too. It's not progressivism, it's not Islamism. She calls it third worldism. It's must watch stuff. And speaking of must watch, check out this mom, Donnie voter, did you know that apparently Americans have no culture? Yeah? That's right. Apparently Mom Donnie's win is one to shove in the faces of all the crusty white people. That's her words, not mine.
Speaker 4: Many needs spies said he's lifetime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take that, your crusty white people. How's that melting pot working out for you? I feel so enriched already. Stick around because we've got the rise of third world politics in America. After the break, welcome back to the program. Now in a moment, I'll be joined by a new face here on the US Report who has a fascinating take on how zoron Mom Donnie's third world ideology is changing politics and how Republicans might fight it. But first, we normally talk here about how badly the American media is biased against Republicans. But here's a real shocker from the BBC over in Great Britain. They've been sensationally caught out doctoring footage of Donald Trump speaking to protesters in Washington, d C. On January sixth, making it seem like he encouraged what later became the Capitol He'll Riot, but in fact the reality was very different. Have a look here at how they selectively edited the president back in twenty twenty and then what he actually said.
Speaker 6: We're gonna walk down to the Capitol and I'll be there with you, and we fight. We fight like hell.
Speaker 9: We're gonna walk down to the Capitol.
Speaker 2: And we're going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women.
Speaker 1: You see what they did there. They cut away, used different audio from a different part of the speech, and made it a little look like it ran together. Well done, bebe say it came out of a whistleblower's report that said, quote, this created the impression that Trump said something he did not and in doing so, materially misled viewers unquote. Well it will be the first time or the last, but Australians at least will maybe take comfort from knowing they're not the only ones whose taxes go to fund a blatantly biased state broadcaster. All right, let's bring up my next guest, who has written an absolutely fascinating report at her website about what the mom Donnie wins and win means in New York City for politics in America more broadly. Now. Zenabrabua is a research fellow with the Hudson Institute Center for Peace and Security in the Red Least and the report she has written has gone viral among watchers of the American scenes, and Nev thanks so much for joining me on the US Report. Tell us first a little bit about your background. Now, you're originally from Morocco, which I think gives you a bit of a unique perspective in your take on what's just happened in New York City. Tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you very much for having me. It's a real honor to join you today and to really talk about my blog post. So yeah, coming from Morocco, I've I've seen a lot of what is considered the colonial discourse and this uh kind of moral lens through which one sees the world and discusses the world. And it's this and this constant cycle of seeing the world through victim uh colonial, the colonial, the colonizers, et cetera. And so I thought that it was interesting because I see that a lot in as you mentioned, I work on foreign policy at the Hudson Institute, So I see that a lot on foreign policy, see that in the Middle East and all Africa. And then I thought, this is very interesting what is happening in the United States. The the discourse that infects the lenses to which one approaches the Middle East is now getting getting into how approaches US politics. And I thought it was very interesting that a lot of people were discussing, you know, what is who is around Mamdani? How is he thinking? Is he an Islamist? Is yet communist? And I thought, why not to actually explain how I see him? And I thought that his background is very interesting, his father's work was very interesting, and I thought, Aha, this is actually dicolonial, the colonial way of seeing the world, and why not explain, explain why and how Mamdani uses it?
Speaker 1: And so how does he use that? Because you brought together a lot of threads which I think we've seen since October seventh with this kind of decolonized mentality, made it into the streets and protests. But you say, this is what he's talking about now, is this next stage of this sort of decolonial protesting. But how can you have a decolonial movement in the United States, which is a country that does of colonies? Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 1: So the way I saw it was that a lot of.
Speaker 7: People, you know, talk about Israel after October seventh, but there's also America after October seventh, Uh, there was this whole sturge of anti Zionist activism across university campuses in Columbia University and other universities, and they were all talking about decolonizing the Middle East, that America was actually evil, the the the root of all evil in the world, and that this Western hegemony should absolutely be dismantled, and Israel is the center of it, and that Israel is the is the embodiment of Western domination in the Middle East. And you can see that language that has been fermenting slowly and gradually since October seventh. And Mamdanie actually spoke to that directly. The universities because they because they promoted a lot of these message dismissaging uh and the signaling. I think, I think macdonnie found the perfect moral terran for a terran for it. It's true, the United States does not have colonies, does not have a lot of what they accuse any colonial power to have. But here's what the United States has. It has one of the best militaries in the world. It has a thriving economy, it has this mentality for American dynamism. And I think and I think that uh, that it's it's something that they see as inherently evil, and every evil that happens in the world is actually because the United States it's too powerful, and it's only after it gives up its power that it can be good. And that Israel is part of that as well.
Speaker 1: And so it's you're sort of the tip of the spear there for America in the West. But you call this, you call this sort of politics third world ism. And you used to say, there's a line here that really struck me. And when back with several times you said that quote. Anglo American conservatives were used to debating policies and principles, are unprepared for this kind of politics. So how do people who don't subscribe to this and don't want to see this kind of revolutionary third world politics infect America or Australia or Britain or wherever you know Anglo sphere politics. What do they do? Because Mom Donnie had a very slick, very sophisticated campaign. It was very positive, it was very high on the social media. And if you're arguing, you know, polities and principles, that's boring and it's funny, Doddy, how do you turn around? How do you turn that moral logic around.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So the one something that first of all, I call it thrilled worldism because it actually is part of third worldist literature when it comes to understanding the economy and so on. I mentioned people like Samir Me other economists and writers who are precisely in that, in that school of thought. And and as you said, it's true, he is very positive, etcetera. But he's also someone who who loves this binary logic of victim and oppressor, and and that you know, if if things in New York are are not working well, it's because of this structural systematic systemic capitalism and so on and so on, and there is one way to actually get out of it, and it's to not be part of it. There is something that I saw which is how a lot of politicians and commentators and other critics they they are always part of the frame. And this is why someone like Trump uh is a genius about it, because he just refuses the frame. There is nothing to apolog apologize for the United States has a very different history than the one of Europe. Israel has a very different history than what they accuse it of. And it's to actually refuse this simplicity, and I think that and I think that this is very I think it's very key to understanding it because a lot of it is about moral purity. It's about are you willing to apologize of things that happened centuries ago when the problems are actually things that we have to deal with now. And I think that refusing the frame is the best thing I see forward because it is a policy platform, and a lot of politicians make the mistake of accepting the frame.
Speaker 1: It's the debbel We're going to have to leave it there. Thank you so much for your time, and thank you for putting a great piece out there into the discourse this week. Really appreciate your time. Now we've got to hit a quick break, but first check this out. There were scary scenes at the White House when Novo Nordes VP Gordon Finley collapsed while the President made a big announcement about his company's weight loss drugs. Have a look at this. You okay, We're okay. Yeah, that scary stuff there. But the good news is he's okay, folks, And you know else is okay. Alex Stein, He's more than okay, and he's coming in after the break. Hey, welcome back to the program. Now joining me Now, We've got a great treat for you. You know him well, commentator and comedian Primetime ninety nine, Alex Stein. Alex, thank you so much for joining me here. And I wanted to bring you on here because we know that California Governor Gavin Knewsom, well, he thinks he's the new Trump, and he thinks he's doing great stuff on social media, doing all of this funny stuff trying to be all trumpy. Now, there was a thing called Opposition fifty which was voted through this week, all about redistricting in that state, and he put this video. Calverny, go to Skavin Newsom, put this video up on social media. I want your reaction and rating of this.
Speaker 8: Have a look, Sun, I'll still dams wait ten yearsic to the boss and the battling Boss and the way test.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Alex, this seems really really derivative. And the phrase it comes to my mind is imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But you're the professional jokester. Does this land at all?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 10: I mean, this is not funny. This is like, I don't know, not even a three out of ten. But you know, we play in a coffeecat league. You know this, and just like Zoe Ron basically running a social media campaign that you know, it was a good social media campaign. I mean, his mom's a filmmaker, and if you've ever seen any air films, you know that they're great at making those movies. So obviously I'm kidding about that, but he did run a good campaign, and what did he do? They're just coughying what.
Speaker 9: Donald Trump did and Gavin Newsom is trying to do it.
Speaker 10: And yes, he's getting a little bit of a I think he's getting a little bit of motion.
Speaker 9: Doing this, so that's why he's going to continue to do it.
Speaker 10: But this isn't who he is, Like, this isn't his real personality, and he's not funny, and everybody that's running a social media campaign probably does not.
Speaker 9: Have a real sense of humor. So I really don't see it.
Speaker 10: Actually being as effective as the MAGA movement. But I'm actually you know, I got to give him kudos. Like, like you just said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Speaker 9: So they want to be like Trump. They got a copy Trump.
Speaker 1: Well, but is there sort of also a broader point here too, because you know, for you know, at least all of this century, you know, you have to go back to maybe the sixteen to seventies for the last time the left liked to have a laugh. Are the Democrats finally starting to realize that they shouldn't be such a bunch of that's not funny kill joys about fun.
Speaker 9: Well, of course, and you know that that's the truth.
Speaker 10: It's like everybody wants to laugh, and especially this younger generation that has been raised by the Internet. They have they're very desensitized to a lot.
Speaker 9: Of the old typical humor that we might have heard a long time ago.
Speaker 10: So we kind of went through this woke period where we had to be very politically correct. But now the younger people they want politically incorrect content. So the last is probably realizing that, and so now they're going to start pushing the limits and probably you know, not be so politically correct. So I do like it in the grand scheme of things, and I love the First Amendment. So I encourage both political parties to you know, push the limits of free speech and give the people what they want.
Speaker 1: Absolutely right. Hey also want to talk about this other story also out of California out of Los Angeles. A woman in a Los Angeles Jim was kicked out for complaining about a man. Yes, that's right, a man, a fella in the ladies' facilities there. Now, if people out there haven't seen this yet, take a look at this.
Speaker 4: God Jah man, bro Man. We're big and a woman's locker roam.
Speaker 6: And that's why I'm getting kicked out.
Speaker 4: And I want to make Sean a cross.
Speaker 6: Now. Today I was naked in the locker room.
Speaker 4: I turned around and there's a man there.
Speaker 1: And boys like boy clothes.
Speaker 9: Lip gloss standing there looking at me.
Speaker 1: I'm butt naked.
Speaker 6: So the first thing I think is maybe there's a work doing here.
Speaker 9: Maybe I missed a sign.
Speaker 1: I say the word sir, to say, sir, what.
Speaker 9: Are you doing in here?
Speaker 1: He goes, don't talk to me.
Speaker 6: I'm a woman.
Speaker 3: I have a right to be in here.
Speaker 1: Alex, walk me through this. I can't believe that these sorts of cases are still going on here. What is happening? What's your take on this? Or that a gym kicked her out and not this? You know other person, Well, you.
Speaker 10: Know this is serious issue, and I believe this happened in California. But you know, I had that moment at the Texas Senate hearing where they passed the bathroom bill here in Texas.
Speaker 2: And in that bill, it.
Speaker 10: Didn't just talk about bathrooms, but it also talks about at public parks, how they have these communal locker rooms, and that's where these people go. They go where women are vulnerable and go to the locker room because really, like in a stall, you wouldn't know. I'm not saying I want men in women's spaces, but you're extra vulnerable in a women's locker room, and that seems to be where a lot of these people want to go. So I'm happy that she had the courage to call you know, them out.
Speaker 9: Whatever their proper pronouns are.
Speaker 10: But I'll tell you this much, this is a serious issue that is really affecting women and making them feel uncomfortable and men. I don't want a woman in the men's locker room, but at the same time, that's not a threat. And so you know, there probably needs to be legislation and more states that outlaws people from men from going into women's spaces.
Speaker 9: It's not that complicated.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, and especially just around these corporations. You know, taking the woke side of these issues just seems really horrific and victim blaming. But also you know who else is blaming the wrong people in all of this. Here are the people to involved with this government shutdown. We spoke a little bit about it earlier in the program, but take a look here at Democrats, Senator Jackie Rosen and the Senate Minority leader continue to pedal lies about what's going on and who is responsible for not paying the bills. How look at this? What do you say to the staff?
Speaker 9: What do you say the TSA workers?
Speaker 6: What do you say they are traffic controllers?
Speaker 11: I am saying to you, as it's a Republican shut down, my friend, you are in control of the White House, you are in control of the House, and you are in control.
Speaker 1: Of the Senate.
Speaker 6: The answer, as I said, is simple and what we've been saying all along. Republicans who cause the shutdown by not even negotiating with us.
Speaker 1: Democrats have the votes, Alex Stein to end this thing tomorrow, to end it today if they want to. The Democrat messaging this is surely going to blow up in their face on this.
Speaker 10: Well, James, I don't want to get too crazy. And you know, I am a typical conspiracy theorist, tenfoil of hat wearing conspiracy theorist proudly. But what's going on right now is absolutely terrible. And now you see constantly everybody's talking about the FAA, everybody's talking about how air travel is you know, stretched.
Speaker 9: In, and that is the case.
Speaker 10: And I fully believe that they want there to be some sort of aviation disaster so that they can blame it on Trump. And I'm not saying that they want to perfectly kill people, but I do believe these people could easily, you know, start the government back up, they can end the shutdown, but they're refusing to because they're trying to put the screws on people right now. They want people that are on food stamps and EBP to feel the pressure. So now they're going to have to go out and rob and steal and do whatever they can to make ends meet. So this is like it really feels like in America, they're trying to put the screws on us, because it's absolutely ridiculous that they would stay this, you know, locked down or out of work, when in reality, when they come back, they all get back pay anyway. So it's all just one big at the end of the day, and the American people are realizing that.
Speaker 9: And I just hope there's not.
Speaker 10: Some sort of serious aviation disaster that they can blame on Donald Trump.
Speaker 9: I really hope not.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, though, Alex. I think that this is part of an old revolutionary strategy that is summed up by the phrase the worse the better. Alex Stearn, thanks so much for joining me, and now stick around. We've got only an American next. But a little bit of breaking news. Also, the eighty five year old Nancy Pelosi, former House speaker and investment guru, is finally finally retiring from politics. And guess what Donald Trump has thoughts.
Speaker 12: I think she's an evil woman. I'm glad she's retiring. I think she did the country a great service by retire. I think she was a tremendous liability for the country. I thought she was an evil woman who did a poor job to costs the country a lot in damages and in reputation.
Speaker 1: I thought she was sereble evil. That's even worse than a nasty woman. But I tell you what, mister President, I reckon. The feeling is mutual. Stick around because only in America is next after the break.