Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to an O three sixty rugby league. From every angle, Queensland has done it again. With their backs to the wall and series on the line. Kevin Monster inspired the Maroons to a stunning victory in Perth, with the stage now set for an epic finale in Sydney.
Speaker 2: So much on the line for the Blues to prospect of their second consecutive series win. For Queensland, chance to keep the series alive. Blue White puts it on the toe. Kick forward by criton Brian toe.
Speaker 1: He plays it down.
Speaker 3: Died, he goes.
Speaker 2: Out the back expire they've got them tenby Hine. Fino scores for Queensland. He'll kick out wine chance the Wiphee. Queensland have believe at Aubie half great Ghost of Munster. Muster goes in for Queensland. It is all of the Roons.
Speaker 4: It is only.
Speaker 3: Half Clearings to his outside, comes.
Speaker 2: Back to the middle.
Speaker 3: It just keeps on giving.
Speaker 1: Stefano you doin Kommando standing in the line, died.
Speaker 2: Short, Paul Man comes back to Capewell.
Speaker 3: They lead by twenty penalty camp What are your thoughts on matter? Hot? I can't tell you what I wanted to think. So I'm not gonna say New South Wales they got fine power to chase down this school board. They need to get Stephen Crichton and Latrell Mitchell into this contest.
Speaker 2: Comes to Mitchel, quick hands. Brian Thomas scores neutle store from Latron Mitchell under pressure, Edwards on the sweep, brightened to watch the sideline and also the time here come the Blues were.
Speaker 3: On the sideline.
Speaker 2: Another good kick and another one that hits the upright and stays out.
Speaker 3: He is low light out the back.
Speaker 2: Bitch too off for the time, want to chat back? This is this is an enormous kick me and it's a tough one to put them within striking distance. Missus in the right hand side once again, blue light, rubbers, rides and crimes and James Rice, you said, wild boy, what a second half? Cleary the first man often passed lost the ball. Big defensive stands for Queensland.
Speaker 4: That's what Queenslanders do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do it together. Queensland will send state of origin for twenty twenty five to a signy showdown.
Speaker 3: That's what Also we'll see how we're young.
Speaker 2: Game three Queensland twenty six had been the Blues in p twenty four.
Speaker 1: What a win it was from the Queensland Orange joining me the Queenslander himself, Gordon Tallas. Let's been a journeys in buzz Rothfield and James Hooper and guys.
Speaker 3: It's official.
Speaker 1: The Blues are in crisis. But we did it after game one, so we thought it was appropriate to do it after game too, Gordy, straight off the bat, how do you feel?
Speaker 3: Oh, well, it was good. I think we had to play like that obviously after game one, especially last year losing the series, the boys had to react and they did. They went out there and they had a great first half, probably put the Q in irak and New South Wales were coming to get us in the end. But it was a great night to be a Queenslander too.
Speaker 4: The NRL is not in crisis. From full time last night till mid afternoon this afternoon, they sold twenty thousand tickets to the decider in a couple of weeks, so if you want to go to that game, they'd tell me there's a couple of thousand left. So that result last night has set us up for a must watch event.
Speaker 3: It was going to be a ripper.
Speaker 5: Given all the changes that Billy made and it was only DC and both Firmer who were dropped out of the side, but there were nine positional changes in terms of who was stationed where on the field. That's major surgery and I think given what was at stake the pre game lead up the fact that Billy had to come out on the morning of the game and do that press conference with the apology to Paul Green's family, it was an immense victory for the Marines. I'd put it up there as good as when you captain that side in two thousand and one and Wayne made all those changes when he was coach and Alfie came back for the final game. Were also in twenty twenty when they were written off by our great mate Dennis and Bullfrog as the worst Coinsland side of all time.
Speaker 1: Last year, Captain Kevin Monster Crossing Live to him a little later on in the show, so we'll ask him about his performance and also what it rates in terms of his performances and origin for him. Now, Gordy Queensland needed to be better.
Speaker 3: They were better. How did they beat New South Wales O? Well just but we beat them one aford earlier. I thought you know, with a really big side, we had to get up. We had to cut down their time and space and you had to be as one. I thought our line spied was good. I thought our contact was great. In game one, I think we missed fifty something tackles. Last night there was thirty. So we were better in the collision. New South was probably probably went away with what they were so good at. But I thought we were better in the collision and we won to feel those battles, you know, and some of those hits last night we're out steaming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were, You're right, Like from the they set the tone from the get go, which they didn't do in game one.
Speaker 3: You could tell.
Speaker 1: Straight away that you could, even by the look in their eyes, the way they were carrying, their body language, their speed of the line, their contact, their kick chase, their kicking game was the lead and a lot better than New South Wales was, which wasn't in Game one, and all that were lad.
Speaker 4: God, you talk about those first half tries and you know it should have nearly been a match winning lead, which turned out to be the most impressive thing was that last five minutes of defense, and particularly when Ponga did that. It was a controversial knock on. I thought which got the Blues another six.
Speaker 3: Isn't it.
Speaker 4: I thought the Blues were paying a dollar eight to win. At that stage they were gone Queenside, coming to get us. But they found something that is so typical of Queensland sides and look, New South Wales have done it before, but the gate was open there for the Blues to us to do it.
Speaker 3: You kept us the four one game, you kept us a six month game, so that's not too bad. But when they were coming, they had the momentum for us to dig the heels and it was on the line. New South Wales had everything going in their favor and I don't know how many says we just what's the replay? Inside? It felt like, you know, they're on their trial and for probably the last fifteen minutes and it just and you've got to keep on turning up buzz. And that's what they did to keep it alive, to sell out your stage.
Speaker 4: Make you're in a much better mood than you were. This we wake up such a difference between you as a winner and loser.
Speaker 3: I'm never seen a happier man.
Speaker 1: So good, so good, and Billy Slattery he had to make some tough calls and it's fair to say that he's been vindicated with those. Every call that he made would turned out to be a master straight Let's start with DC dropped, d c didn't came in, didn't was outstanding. A lot of people questioned whether that was the right decision from the head coach, and he's got this one right.
Speaker 3: Deedon's is one of those players and energy player. He runs a lot. I think he freed up Cameron months. I think Cameron, with his respect, probably gave a bit too much to daily Cherry Evans for like run on the side. But as a combination, I thought they were outstanding last night and they had to be playing playing. You know, the sixth and seven for New South Wales had one full cons in a row.
Speaker 5: He had the blow torch on him. Tommy didn't know question. Gus Gauld came out and obviously put a eap of pressure on the fact that he was a rookie playmaker and also questioned and I thought rightly so, I think most people did, how Coinsland's kicking game was going to work. DC is such a prolific long kicker of the football, but it's straight in Coinsland's attacking so much broth you must have I know you're a Blue, but yeah, the tip your hat to the way that the way that did. And also Monthster just was so direct.
Speaker 3: With the ball.
Speaker 1: Kevin was after game one, wasn't happy with his running game. I went back to Melbourne and just rendered all games. He could tell that he'd either been given a message from Billy or just gone back with his own intention to run the football more, be more directors. That's when he's at his best and didn't is a threat at any time because he goes deep in the line. He's courageous. He takes the line on a number of times and he thinks run first. We showed his Cameron and so that they were great, but their kicking game so if you were concerned about their kicking game it was.
Speaker 3: It was out standing the last night in the wed It has to be so in the web. That's when your kicking game has to be spot on and it was.
Speaker 1: Now Kemra Munster obviously great last night play the match led the team superbly.
Speaker 3: Is he the long term captain now? Absolutely? You know what, I think he's waited for this moment. You know how you're just not sure. But when he got it how we addressed it. We spoke to him last Sunday on radio and he actually put everything on himself, which means that he owned the side. The way he played was absolutely outstanding. Leaders come in all shapes and sizes, but they certainly followed him.
Speaker 5: What I found some interesting Gordian buzzles. He wasn't always the most logical choice camera monster, because he isn't the captain for the Melbourne Storm, and you've got Harry Grant who is, and then you've also got players like Tino and other senior figures that are in that as he basically had five or half a dozen choice is that he could have gone with. But clearly Billy, being the sharp tactician that he is, has thought, okay, well, which players are going to lift the most and which player is going to revel in the responsibility. And it's that care free Alarican that Cameron can sometimes be. He's also got to steally focus and he just that added responsibility. He reveled in it.
Speaker 4: I thought he came of age as a rugby league player last night, the all round rugby league player, and it was his body language and the way he discussed things with the referee. Remember there was a general warning and he politely says, is that a warning?
Speaker 3: Sir?
Speaker 4: And you know he and then he went down and he told all his players and I couldn't believe it was the Cameron monster of two or three years ago.
Speaker 3: And he enjoyed the moment. Look, he scored that Troy. He went back. He was like he was rallying the troops. He was getting the crowd behind him. It was a fantastic notl I'm proud.
Speaker 1: Of you because you talk about those moments where he's not the captain of Melbourne and the Alaric and and you know, having his issues years ago, and I think over time a lot of people probably haven't taken him serious in that department as a leader, and he's always believed that he is one. I know it hurt him not getting the captaincy at Melbourne. That's something we sort of spoke about. And to give and to give be given the captaincy of Queens then who is which is everything to him?
Speaker 5: Was?
Speaker 1: You could see I could tell you know when he when he got and how much it meant to him, and you could see by his performance what it means to him. But he was under a lot of pressure too, Like he didn't want to come out, he coming as.
Speaker 3: The underdone queens. The massive pressure, enormous pressure.
Speaker 5: You think of all the champions that have worn that number six jumper, from Wally Lewis to Darren Lockey to Kevin Wolders and for Cameron to go out and yeah, for Cameron to go out and produce the all round dominant leadership display that he did, it's a credit for him.
Speaker 3: What about Harry Grant.
Speaker 1: We were the first to be critical of him and his performance in Game one, and I think he would admit he didn't play great in Game one, but what a response like he went back to Melbourne, played the eighty minutes last weekend and with the intention of getting like a horse, really getting himself set for the race which was which was yesterday or last night, and boy did he deliver.
Speaker 3: He was outstanding. Gordy I think fifty odd tackles as well. Obviously he had a poor night in Game one, but I say, you want him to come out and respond, and he did that. He went back to Maltain storm was fantastic. They do get at him a lot, They try to take away his energy, but just the way he steered him around the park and really tough conditions for both sides. Last night, I thought, I thought Harry was absolutely outstanding.
Speaker 5: When we sat here and critiqued his performance after the State of Origin one and the Marines had lost eight and six and Harry took, by his own admission, had taken some wrong options. We said at the time he won't play two games as bad as that. Last night, once again, he just vindicated what a champion he is. Buzz you must.
Speaker 4: Have been for Do you want to put him on the bench?
Speaker 3: Didn't cat or something?
Speaker 5: Yes, he wanted ruber Cott at hooker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, Harry Grant.
Speaker 5: He's only a part time Coinsland.
Speaker 4: Harry Grant's the best hooker forward in the country at the moment.
Speaker 3: He showed last night.
Speaker 4: And look, every player at this level is going to have a bad night all right now. He had a shocker, Let's be serious in game one. It just was not him. But if they were picking the Australian side tomorrow, he would be one of the first chosen.
Speaker 3: It's the hooker. He was brilliant last night.
Speaker 1: What about the coach Billy Slater? He is the hero today. But there was a hell of a lot of drama leading up to this game. You mentioned it had to apologize to the poor Green family, had the dramas with Aaron Woods in the press conference the day before that, and if he hadn't got the result last night, who knows what pressure he would have been feeling this morning. So it was a monumental result for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: And look what he said on game Eve was unfortunate and it was wrong. He should never have said that. From that moment though, phone called Amanda Green to me showed the real Billy Slater, a man with a lot of class who owned up to making a terrible mistake and upsetting the Green family with the way Paul was brought into the story. I do know Amanda Green, Paul's wife, has spoken to Jess Hallerin and The Australian this afternoon and released his statement. And Amanda is completely fine now with Billy Slater. She really really appreciated and respected his phone call. They were upset when they saw the press conference, but she's forgiven and she made it clear she's got a lot of time for Billy and I think it's a nice ending to a very very unfortunate story.
Speaker 5: Pressure can do incredible things to coaches in the Origin arena, and we saw it a few seasons ago with Freddie Fitler, who when he first came in had a fantastic start to his career in charge of the Blues, brought in the and the Earth thing and i'll raft of different gravy style of looking at things. But then after losing a series in twenty twenty and the wheel started to come off a little bit, well, you could really see the pressure started to get to Freddie. And it felt as watching Billy in the press conference the day before last night, that clearly the pressure was starting to get to him. And I think he would acknowledge that now that I'd no issue with what he said, aside from when he brought up Paul Green. I thought, okay, well, I can't really see the correlation there.
Speaker 1: His apology was genuine, and I believe they're a bit of it, but he can't overlook what he did that day. And you know, bringing the Paul Green family into it suicides a horrible thing and they will be grieving for the rest of their lives. As I said last week, I've experienced and it was just unnecessary and hopefully learn from a billy, you know. Like I think we've spoken about coaches in the past, like it's how you react when you're under pressure. It really shows what you what you're made of, and that's what gives you longevity in our game, is how you respond to pressure and how you respond to losses. And that's why the great coaches respond so well, you know. So I think it was a good learning curve for him, But he's response in terms of on the field and the players, they definitely aimed up for him, didn't.
Speaker 3: They absolutely, And he owned that moment. Yeah, you know what we you do feel the pressure, you know what I mean? And I feel I'm not even part of it now, but just like around Origin and like I was up in Ken's yes, stay and what it means and when you coach your so well or play like you feel that pressure. And I couldn't imagine going out there sitting in a box. You've done everything possible, but I feel helpless, Like you feel like you can't do anything as a coach. You'd rather be playing, And like they sit there and we always, you know, we always critique them, but it's a high pressure job coaching Queensland and you so well and they do a fantastic.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what, it is a high pressure job too, God being a referee. So let's get to the penalty count. Now you're feelthy there. There's probably a lot of New South Wales fairs waiting for this moment where we talk about the penalty count eight mil in the first half to Queensland when New South Wales that ill disciplined.
Speaker 4: I think New South Wales were ill disciplined and I don't have too many problems with the eight penalties they conceded. The problem I do have is that anyone can look at that first half of football on a replay and find four or five areas of the game where Queensland could quite easily have been panelized as well. In my eyes, he was referring one side for a majority of that first half. I know we're ill disciplined, and I'm not even blaming it for the loss because we had our chance in the second half to get back. But Gordie, you cannot be perfect in origin for forty five minutes possible.
Speaker 3: We were you weren't We weren't we were? I read about it. We weren't you, weren't we weren't made it happen to listen. We didn't talk about it. In Game two last year when we got blown off the park. I think there was six or seven restartt set restarts, and we couldn't keep up when you're defending and