Speaker 1: I get a two. It's HAPs A's Stiffney hang book. It's a Sunday in Melbourne, thriving in Tropolis. It's fucking balmire. I just looked at the temperature. It's rocked up to fourteen degrees. I've taken off two of my coats. I'm just down to ug boots and my jocks and it's which is a good thing. We don't do the visual, just the audio now, all still in a societ. I'm looking out the window between the bamboo it's sunny, Tiff, it's sunny, and in.
Speaker 2: The car before to come back here and do this podcast, and I was like, oh my goodness, and you know what, I get seasonal effective disorder big time.
Speaker 1: And tell people what that is.
Speaker 2: Seasonal effective disorder is just a fancy way of saying the winter blues, but it's a thing and some people really suffer from it. In fact, my client this morning said that he one of his friends, a psychologist, is doing a PhD in seasonal effective disorder.
Speaker 1: Well, I might have said to you ten years ago, yeah, jog it out because I was an insensitive but anyway, but these days I'm kind of I don't have that. But I definitely have changed my tune like I used to be, you know, I mean, I still am an idiot. I'll still go run in the cold and the rain and all of that, but I will say I'm looking forward to summer. And I used to like people who would winge about winter. I'd be like, harden up, princess, i'man jogged out You be fine. You don't have cancer, you don't have a tumor. Shut the fuck up. But I'm kind of coming around. So maybe I'm becoming more passionate. But more likely I'm just becoming softer.
Speaker 2: It might be that PhD in self awareness you're doing that.
Speaker 1: It could be that. It could be that it could be you and I were chatting about a very interesting topic just before we went live, and I thought I would love to talk about I mean that I just find it interesting. Now let's just preface this. Of course we're not going to say who, but somebody that you and I know has had to have some breast surgery, need to get a couple of things a little I think benign tumors or whatever lumps removed, and while she's there is getting a little bit of enhancement. And I said to you because you were saying you had to have a screen the other day, because you're got to know what are you doing? You're doing some hormony thing. I should pay more attention. What are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm having a tinker in the perimenopausal pool at the moment. So we're looking at maybe doing some hormone therapy, and you know, all of the things, all the fun.
Speaker 1: Stuff, and I and you said, I don't think I would do that, which is no judgment, and it's just a personal preference. And I don't know if I would, like if I was a female, if I would do that either, I don't know. I don't know. I just I think probably not, Like I understand, I understand why people wouldn't. I understand why people wouldn't. Why are you probably in their no camp? We're talking about getting a in colloquial terms, a boob job, like why are you probably in the no camp?
Speaker 2: I think? And I'm probably more a lot more in the no camp now than maybe when I was younger. Although I've always been a bit opposed, like I've always had I've been relatively flat chested, so when we do good peck workouts, it's a win for me, and let's be honest, new boobs, I wouldn't be able to see that as much because they will be covered up with new boobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also I don't know. It's like I don't I mean, I think it's different now. I don't pay any attention to me everyone with this because I don't know anything about it. But they don't use what silicon anymore? They use saline or do they use some of your own tissue or body fat?
Speaker 2: Sometimes I actually have no idea myself.
Speaker 1: We have two worse people talking about this than you and me, the fucking bloke who knows nothing and the girl who doesn't want them.
Speaker 2: But what I do know, there's a lot of I've seen a lot of women having them taken out, and they can have bad experience. It's quite bad experiences for your health. And by the way, don't they I believe on the last ten years or something we don't have to get them replaced anyway. But for me, I would say a big part of my personal reason and I don't this is one of those things where you don't judge other people the same way you judge yourself. But I wouldn't be able to look at the having a sexualized version of my I would feel like a very sexualized version of myself, and given my background, that would I would not feel good about that, So it wouldn't be I would love dresses too. I would love to be able to borrow some when I have to frock up once every two or three decades.
Speaker 1: But that's all. Yeah, I understand that I was talking to somebody, and not this lady we're talking about, but somebody a bit a going. And she said to me, like, it's all just about for her, it's just about self esteem and just feeling a bit better. And I went, I get it, I get it. There's no it's like there's no right or wrong. There's no for me, like there's no judgment, there's just curiosity. It's like I had a friend of mine, how do I don't want to get anyone. I don't want anyone to figure out who this is a guy or girl? And he or she was a was attractive that we would say that except they had a honker, let's be honest, had a fucking a nose like me, right, they got a nose job, and honestly, the change and they went from like really self conscious embarrassed and to like, I just saw their confidence sore and they were. Of course, this is not the meaning of life having fucking cosmetic surgery, of course, but in that case I looked at that. When that's on all levels emotionally, psychologically, sociologically, physically, cosmetically, I go, that's a good outcome, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be honest, if I had the money and it's and one day when I do, I would like to get my upper and lower eyelids surgically done because I have bags under my eyes and too much fat on top of my eyelids and it bothers me right because I'm in front of mirrors all the time and I look tired and exhausted, and it sounds really superficial. But you know, so I wouldn't get boobs, but I'd get my eyes done right one day. I'd like to, so kind of on the semi to do list.
Speaker 1: Well, you think about the the way that we kind of are critical of, Like if somebody wants to wear all the makeup and put on guy or girl, put on the best outfit, be that a suit, be that shirts, a shirt and jeans or a dress or whatever. Somebody wants to look great, so they go and buy all this stuff to look like Nobody buys clothes that they think will make them look worse. Why are you getting that? I want to look like shit? Right, everybody wants to look good. But we seem to have these, you know, personal lines that we draw about what's okay and what's over the top and what's not okay. And you know, I think if I was going to I probably wouldn't. But I'm about a ten percent chance, but probably nine percent not. You know what I'm going to say, don't you What am I going to say?
Speaker 2: Are you going to say?
Speaker 1: Oh? What are you saying? Why'd you pick that? Why'd you pick that?
Speaker 2: He was pointing?
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Funny stuff?
Speaker 1: Fuck it? What? That's hurtful? Yeah, well, you know, I mean every time it rains in Hampton four people come and stand under my nose just to keep dry. That's hurtful.
Speaker 2: Favorite of your jokes because I see that your to per form every time you say it.
Speaker 1: I don't think I will. But at the same time, if I could magic, and you knows that was about you know, seventy percent of the current version, although you know, thanks to sweet baby Jesus that my nose works, right, I can sniff, I can smell, So you go, well, it's functional. Shut up.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right when you think about dress for the job you want, not the job you've got, or how much confidence you get from your how you dress. Right, when we have that conversation, it's like it's very clear for everyone, and everyone's on board with that. But when we start to take it to things that get a bit murky around, Oh, we'll let your body, you know, blah blah blah. Yeah, it's kind of the same thing though, Like you, if it has an effect on your confidence, then I don't really to a degree you know, I don't know. Is it a problem?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, and also like if I want to get a nose job, it doesn't fucking affect anyone else, rightactly. But I could guarantee you people that's right, they're going to have to find somewhere else to stay dry. But boom, see how we can take the piss out of me? What? Yeah, I know I was going to ask a question that I will definitely not ask when you do that. No, No, I can't, I'll tell you I can't. I can't. Well, I'll just say this, It's okay to hang shit on me, right because but we couldn't do that, you know. You know what I'm saying. I don't mind if people make fun of me at all, but I have no intention or desire to do the same to others because I understand. But I think, you know, back to the back to the matter at hand. For me, I'm more interested when in terms of clothes and all of that stuff. As you know, for me, my main priority is comfort and function. Like I mean, obviously it's not my goal to look terrible, but I do everything human like I did, as you know, I did two gigs on one day in two states this week, both corporate gigs, both kind of high level corporate, and in both of them, I wore jeans and a T shirt. And I kind of say to them, if I really don't want to wear anything more formal than that, are you okay with that? And they both said, yeah, we're right with that. Like when I am, when I'm in a suit, i am not comfortable. I'm not comfortable. I'm not myself and I'm not This is not a global thing. This is just a me thing. But I feel like i'm playing a character in a fucking movie or something. When I put on a shirt and tie and suit and black shoes and then I walk up there, I feel like I'm pretending to be something because I just never ever ever wear that. Now, I know that's probably just my stuff, but and I understand the context. Sometimes it's, you know, a situation dependent you do do that, and if I have do I will. But yeah, I'm I don't. I don't worry. You know. It's like I shaved my hair off because it's just easy. People go, why do you do that? You look so good with long hair or longer hair.
Speaker 2: I go, it's just curly locks.
Speaker 1: I don't care, like I I it's funny, like I care to a point, but not much like if it's out of ten, I care too.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like like the idea of growing my hair long and having because my hair grows like a motherfucker, but it's just a mess. It looks like a shrub sitting on top of my skin.
Speaker 2: When I was younger, my parents used to be a if I look back now, a real I was going to say weapon. That's probably a strong word, but a real statement. And what I see in it now was had this real introverted, shy kind of personality and maybe a very intan So I had this this look that made the statement that I didn't have the voice too. So I always talk about voice, talk about voice a lot, and I think that was it because I worked in My first job was in printing design and printing some business cards and stuff. And I remember talking about that once and realizing I had such a passion of it for it because it was the ability to give people and businesses voices that they did that they didn't need to use their voice to portray. So you have this personality and so like I was getting around with bloody pink hair, short pink hair, like fudge pink hair. When I was in my teens, I had a car, just a little Hounday Excel, but I got the windows tinted mirror blue. So I was cruising around in this illegally tinted car. Wow a couple of years just you know, I just always wanted to stand out. I bought my motorbike at seventeen, and I was getting around on that motorbike with my bloody short pink hair, you know, And it was just so that people go, she's cool and different. But really, you put me in a room with people, I would be quite as a mouse.
Speaker 1: And that's funny. I never thought, well, that's that's kind of dressing or presenting to create a particular or a desired outcome, not necessarily to be attractive, but to perhaps be unique or different.
Speaker 2: Or And I do remember the first time that I let my hair grow a bit and I died it back to a natural brown, and I had this sense at that time of I don't need that anymore, and that I didn't need that was the first time I realized that there was some sort of a thing I was portraying. It was like, oh, I didn't realize I needed it before, but now I feel like I don't need that shouty, bloody appearance.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting. I remember doing when I was in my early twenties. I was working, I was running a gym and doing all the shit I was doing. But it's three nights a week. I did security in pubs, and it was quite important that I looked big, that I looked intimidating, and so I was always one hundred odd plus kilos with a very shaved head, and every Friday night before work I would, I would, you know, clipper my hair with clippers. So my hair was about a millimeter long, and it's looking back, I think, yeah, that was because I was probably a little bit terrified because it's a bit volatile. I might get my fucking head caved in. But I wanted to look as though I was not to be fucked with. Yeah, you know, so I thought, well, they'll never They'll never discover my insecurity or innate lack of fighting skills if I looked terrifying.
Speaker 2: I remember talking about this in business networking ones of people. When I made that realization with print for me, I got really passionate about teaching people in business networking situations like to find that really what the passion is in what they do when they think they don't love what they do. Because even in because because I spent years and years and years in print and design and creative industry, thinking that I just saying I just fell into it. I fell into it through an opportunity when I left school, and then it became what I knew. But I was passionate about it and when as soon as I made that discovery, and I've had conversations with people in small businesses and that when we've found that link and they go, oh my god, I've never really realized that, And then they realized that's why they've been drawn into the role or the industry that they're in. It's really cool.
Speaker 1: Would you say, to this point in time, you've had an accidental career or an intentional career or something else accidental?
Speaker 2: For sure, both times I fell into that one and then I fell into the fitness one.
Speaker 1: I'm just writing that down because that could become I fell into podcasting. Well, isn't it funny? How you know we've spoken before about like work life balance and work impact, and I was thinking the other day I work. I've probably worked since I was eighteen years old, on average fifty hours a week. I'd say more a lot. It depends what we call work, right, But then you know, so I'm chucking in their PhD, which is essentially yeah, it's study, but it's a job. Like a PhD is more like a job than a job to me, Like, that's much more work, right. But anyway, I would say on average, for fifty weeks per year, for the last forty two years, I've done fifty hours. So if you go fifty hours times fifty weeks is two and a half thousand weeks a year. Now, if you multiply that by forty years, that's one hundred thousand hours of work, right, And I was thinking how many hours do people work over their lifetime? And also and again there's no clear answer to this, although I did look at a recent Gallup poll that said globally about sixty percent of people who work don't like their work so that they're not engaged. It says they're not engaged, They don't they don't look forward to it. They just do it. It's something they tolerate to produce a financial outcome. I get it, and I thought it might have been higher, and it may be who knows. But for me, the thought of just doing a thing to produce a financial outcome is terrifying. But also I do acknowledge that I have first world privilege and that I am lucky enough that I can create my own thing and have created my own thing, and not everyone is afforded the opportunity and luxury that I've been afforded to live in Australia, where if you want to work hard, take risks, fall down, get up, take chances, make hard decisions, do hard things you can within reason, you can kind of do whatever you want, you know, But that that idea of clocking in and clocking out and then just looking at the fucking clock on the wall waiting for five o'clock. I couldn't do that. I guess if I had to, I could. But what about you? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. I was just thinking, have you ever you ever in your life had a time where you've felt stuck? Did you ever live that you didn't? Really? Like you kind of went into your own thing. But is there as an experience that you remember where you were just like, I don't ever want to be stuck like this?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I think? I don't know. Just the way my mind works, I don't know if it's good or bad. But from when I was a kid, if I did anything like I had a couple of jobs that I lasted one day because I knew in one day wasn't lazy. It's not like I don't want to work.
Speaker 2: I just knew this is not the thing.
Speaker 1: Like have you ever been out with a dude on the date and you know ten minutes.
Speaker 2: In all of them?
Speaker 1: Like, you know ten minutes in like, this is not the guy, and you may bee maybe four minutes in and I don't even know what it is, but you just know and probably ninety nine percent of the time you're right. And for me, Like, people are going to laugh at this. This is so ironic and hilarious. I don't know if you even know this. But when I was eighteen, i'd finished school and I didn't go to UNI. I went to UNI later, but I got somehow, I can't even remember how, but I got offered to be a trainee center manager trainee at McDonald's, right, hilarious.
Speaker 2: I know that is very funny.
Speaker 1: I know. I lasted about seven hours and I went up to the boss and I went, this is not for me, and they're like what, And it was a really good opportunity. So in the management program like to be you know, by the time I was twenty or twenty one managing a restaurant, blah blah blah. I'm like, dude, this is a fuck. Keep the money, keep the seven hours worth of money. I thank you for the opportunity. You're all great this but this is not me. But I knew that, and I knew and I thought, I can't like I'm not that dude, you know, even by the time I was twenty twenty one. And again I'm not saying this is good or bad, but this is just me. Even working in environments I liked, like working in a gym, helping people, having a boss, I will say though, my last boss, his name's Mike Thornbro, I'll shout out to him. He was great. He gave me all the rope because he knew that I was honest, and he knew that I cared about him, and he knew that I cared about his business. And I ran his business as well as I would have run my own business, or I tried to anyway. But it dawned on me early that I'm I want to work, but I don't want to have a job because I get bored. I need to be able to create and expand and try things that might fail. Well, you can't do that in someone else's business.
Speaker 2: Really, you just reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We went for a walk the other day and he was talking about one of his friends who at work, who he was managing. So he was managing this and we were talking about adhd and she has ADHD and how he learned so much about the condition and how to help her and manage her and make her and she ended up being this top performer. And then there was business structure change. She goes under different management and within I think he said something like three months she was put under performance management and just capitulated because people were micromanaging and he had to kind of go in and have a chat and go like give. And it's interesting we think of how different we all are and how we might just thrive in the right business, but that right business has to have the right people with the right skills to get the best out of this and the flexibility to understand that. It's hard to do that because then they go, what about all these people that they might want to work like that? And you know, it's hard, I think, to roll that out.
Speaker 1: Well, think about the reality that if you've got to let's say you've got tiff Ink, and at tiff Ink, everyone comes to work at tiff HQ and there's twenty people or there's twenty personalities, twenty backgrounds, twenty expectations, and you know, probably different reasons for being there in some way, shape or form. So you've got to deal with all that variability and all that kind of humanity. And yes, you've got to tick the boxerscross the t's, dot the i's, make the money, service the clients and customers, develop, build the product, blah blah blah blah blah. But you also, and this is the hard part, you've got to create a culture that people want to be in. I say to all the bosses that I work with, all the CEOs, all the bloody mds, all the business owners, do you have a place, a culture, an organization, even a physical place that people want to be in and want to come to? Because if you've got everything right, but people don't like the culture or you, or they don't feel valued, loved, scene wanted, fucking good luck keeping them and definitely good luck keeping them happy.
Speaker 2: You ran massive businesses with a lot of staff, right, how did you what worked and what failed in creating that culture? Because you're one person with one influence, you must have done.
Speaker 1: A lot of so it worked at varying levels, and I got lots of things wrong. I'll say that up front. You know there were times when Harper's my Gym's were the industry leader in Australia and we were crushing and killing, and.
Speaker 3: I think part of it was that the good part, like when we did well, was that I was silly and I was energetic, and I loved people and I wanted I had.
Speaker 1: Fun with my staff, I had fun with my clients. I made it a great I tried to make it a great energy to be in the middle of. That became harder when I opened other centers that I wasn't in the middle of right, And like all businesses, I had trainers that were brilliant, I had trainers that were not so brilliant. I had trainers in the middle and people that come in and for the first three six months they're fucking amazing, and then twelve months in they hate you for some reason or maybe I did something right. I'm not saying it's I'm not at fault, but I was always because I wasn't good at business, but I was good at people. The business ended up going pretty good. But I was always very aware of culture, connection, communication, reading the room, resolving conflicts, solving problems as quick as possible, And I instinctively and intuitively knew without ever being taught, that if I could create a place that people wanted to be in were a pretty good chance. Mm.
Speaker 2: Now I'm thinking about when I back in the day, when I had a job, job and a boss, and just the idea of figuring out like self awareness, figuring out what actually works for you. That's hard when you because I think, especially at the workplace, most of us are a people pleaser at some point. And it took me the best part of my forty years, the very biggest chunk of it, to get any idea of how much I would accommodate and put myself last and have no idea why I might be happy, ortispie or feel comfortable where I am, what part of it, whether it was confrontation or whether it was relationship driven with the people, or whether it was what I'm doing, or the structure the time, how much flexibility I have versus how much structure and help, so you like to have enough help and guidance but not be micromanaged and have be able to be create even a bit spontaneous. That was a hard thing to really learn well for myself over all that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think also, you know, we talk about this idea with diet, We talk about it with lifestyle. We talk about it with as we did at the start the show, how we dress like it's personal. Like you think about your job. You don't have holiday pay, you don't have sick pay. You have a lot of risk, You have a lot of financial vulnerability. You don't know how much money you will make next week. You don't know how many people will listen to your podcast. You have very little are predictability on planet you. I have a little bit less right because I don't have a set wage per se. And you get but your existence is really vulnerable, but also creative, but also fucking terrifying but also exciting. But it wouldn't suit a lot of people, but for you, it's perfect. And so this notion of finding the right job is really more about finding the right job for that person, that personality, that emotional system, that creative being that you know, where do I thrive? Because where you thrive, somebody else might perish. You know. It's back to the We give Brian some almonds and he feels great, and we give Sally some almonds and she fucking chokes out on the floor. Right, it's not about the almonds. It's not about the job. It's about what works for us as individuals also comma your honor. It's also what will work for you over your work spam. You know, So what what fucking set you on fire when you were twenty? That's probably well and truly past. It's used by date for tiff. Yeah, and what blew your socks off when you were thirty? Now you might go shoulder shrug emoji. Not really? And now what sets you on fire? What excites you? Challenges you, has your attention? That might be quite different in one, two, five years. You know, like, the best job for you is fluid. It's not stagnant. It's not the same thing like the best You know, when I was twenty, I could eat three pretty big meals a day and I didn't get fat. At sixty, I can't. Yeah, all these things are dynamic. The world's dynamic. Where you know, you're not the same person that you were yesterday. Your body's not the same. Your cells are constantly dying and growing like you're everything's being reinvented. So this idea that you'll find a job and you'll do that for forty years and be happy is completely fucking ridiculous for most people. Yeah, that's not going to be the case, and.
Speaker 2: I reckon most people listening and wherever they are right now, and you think about how much, like I think about how much it took me to learn, how many mistakes, how many opportunities, And with a higher risk profile like I have, I was able to jump in and try something and pivot and do something else, and do something else. There's a luxury in that that you have to have a higher risk tolerance. But then what gets really complex is getting to this point. And then when you are ready for a chat, like at the moment I go, Okay, you're doing too much, like too many hours, too much, you've taken on a lot, and to get further, you need to figure this out. No one's I'm the most. I'm I know the most about what got me here and what works and what doesn't. But then when you need some advice, it's like when you turn because no one else knows all of the stuff that I already know, it's like it doesn't it's really difficult. I find it difficult because people can give you a bum steer. So I'm really hesitant to go, oh, help me out, because everyone's a fucking expert. I can help.
Speaker 1: You well, yeah, exactly. And that's why even with this show, and I've said this a million times, you know, we're not dispensing advice. There's not a prescription coming out of this conversation. There's a conversation and in the middle of their thoughts, ideas stories, you know, someone might go, ah, I might try that. Someone else might think, ah, that's bullshit. Either way, it's fine, like if you know, like I like to just provoke people to think. Like the idea, even just one simple idea that's come out of this is that most jobs, most careers, have it used by day where the excitement and the joy and the contentment and the happiness that that situation once manifested for that individual, that might go away. And that's okay, that's not We don't need to be sad. We just need to adapt.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I remember working, I remember literally working in pubs and it was kind of exciting because it was fucking a bit scary, it was a bit risky. It's fucking you know, hot girl. There was some great girls everywhere, there was pissed, silly people. It was fucking entertaining. It was just a fucking shit fest of humanity and for me, I was like a fish out of water because I was the most boring motherfucker in the joint. Like all I did was eat chicken salad and lift heavy shit. Then I went to this circus three times a week to watch people who were nothing like me, and it was like such a great learning place. It was such a great classroom for me. But now I'd rather punch myself in the face than go there. But at the time, I'm like, this is this is so good? You know, I mean, but that's yeah, you know, you know, there was a time when me training clients was the best thing. Like I used to feel like this is the biggest scam ever. I'm in a gym. All I want to do is be in a gym, because gyms are the best. Right, I'm in a gym. I'm making three or four times the hourly rate of a gym instructor because I'm a trainer, right, And I'm making good though. I'm talking to cool people. I'm having fun, I'm learning, I'm evolving. I'm in an environment I want to be. I'm wearing a fucking tracksuit to work. How good is that? You know? It's like now I look back and I go. I understand why that was awesome, but now that wouldn't be awesome. And it's not that it's good or bad, it's that I'm a bit different.
Speaker 2: Now was there what did anything ever or what was the thing that would keep you stuck if it ever did? Like for me, it's I have this inability to let go of things. So I try and move on without creating the space, and I'd burn out and I'd take too much on because I think I have this insecurity complex. It's all this is all going to fall away, nothing last forever. You're going to get a band and you're going to lose things, so hold on to it real tight. So I'm I try and grow. I've got no I've got no free hand to grasp anything new. Do you have something that you can that made it hard for you to you it was inefficient?
Speaker 1: Well, I think because I always I was always doing better, not always, but I was mostly I looked better than I was, as in like I knew that people thought I knew a fair bit, but I didn't feel like I knew a fair bit right, And so for me, shitty self esteem got in the way. Like when I was in a situation that was pretty good, but I knew that there was something better. I'd maybe stay in the pretty good for a while because of fear of, oh, but what if the other thing doesn't work, which is very typical you still do that, not maybe a little, but you know, like I've thought a lot even about this show. I've thought, h how long will I do this show for? And if I'm being as transparent as I can be, Like even right now, I'm enjoying this conversation, and you and I have had hundreds of conversations. There's nothing about this that I go, ah, fuck, this is just some obligation. There's you know, It's like I saw you before at the gym and I said, have you got time? And bah, And there is a little bit of, oh, I need to get a podcast recorded today because today Sunday, we don't have one for tomorrow. But I've got two interviews tomorrow, so we're good for Tuesday and Wednesday. But so there's a little bit of that because of the continuity and the expectation and the self imposed rules of podcast today. But nearly all the time when I'm doing it, I'm somewhere between liking it and loving it and I know, I'll get off this with you and we'll go see everyone and I'll say to you, that was good, that was good, you know, And as long as I'm enjoying it, I'm going to keep doing it. And if it gets to the point where, you know, and it's not making me rich and it's not making you rich, we all know that. But if it's getting to the point where I'm kind of breaking even but I still love it, I'm going to keep doing it.
Speaker 2: You know, what have you gotten out of this that maybe you didn't expect on the podcast?
Speaker 1: Oh that's a great question. And I thought about this the other day. It's like every day of my life I'm talking to an audience, and it's made me a much, much, much much better speakerlive because I'm talking about you know, the mind behavior, thinking habits, you know, self control, outcome, success, failure, that all the time. And I have to think all the time, and I have to be clear and articulate, and I need to sometimes explain complicated shit in an uncomplicated way. And this, apart from hopefully creating something that's good for our listeners, it's also an opportunity for me and you to develop skill competence, awareness communication. So for me that yeah, it's like I love it anyway. I could give you ten things. Meeting awesome people, you know, chatting with the beautiful Johnny Raffo, I could give you. I could give you, you know, individual examples of things that I will I will cherish, you know, building an audience of awesome people. I had a guy come up to me at Sydney Airport on Wednesday. Fuck, sorry, dude, I can't remember your name. He's probably going to listen to this, such a sweetheart. He goes Craig and I go yeah. He goes Craig Harper like, oh yeah, and he goes mate, he goes, you don't know this, but you kind of saved my life. And he shook my hand and he goes, I read all your stuff. I listened to your stuff. He goes, I don't know, something like I don't know where i'd be without you. And I'm like, fuck, dude, I just want to spoon you on the couch now, motherfucker. Yeah. I just like And that was a bloke I've never met and probably will never see. It's Sydney Airport. I'm walking to the gate. I'm in a bit of a hurry. I'm about to go to Melbourne to do another thing. And it was like I just stopped and time stood still and I just and I just thanked him and I shook his hand and told him how much I appreciated it. And those moments you go, yeah, this is the only reason I do it, But yeah, this is why I do it. This is fucking this is so good. And it's not about ego. It's just about ah. I literally helped someone. Yes he did the work. But when a stranger stops you and says, and by the way, I don't think on any level I saved his life. But when they say, you know, you kind of saved my life, you know, or even just you really help me and you don't know. But then I go, fuck, yeah, that's why I do it so good.
Speaker 2: Someone was asking for advice one of my tazzy friends and they want to start a podcast Nate, and one of the questions they'd written was is it worth it? And I, for all the reasons you just said, I said, that's a loaded question. Depends what you want to get out of it. But you'll get this, this, this, this and this, and you'll develop your They want to do it on mental health. They've got lived experience, they're doing some great work in that area. I'm like, this is you will get so much out of the experience. That's what if you're aware of that, go and do it like and I say that to everyone, like do it and start now, like everyone wants to wait, just start now.
Speaker 1: But also yes, I agree, and also do it well, like don't don't fucking sit in your kitchen on your mum's fucking card table with a phone sitting on a fucking shoe box, for God's sake, Like I can't say who, but somebody I know has recently started a new podcast and it's good. Two people it's good, and one of the people their audio is nine out of ten and the other one it's fucking four out of ten.
Speaker 2: And when I see it, I feel like I know who you're talking about, because I was just thinking the same thing I reckon being of the same person.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and good idea good show name good like good, everything's good. But I listened to some of the other day and I couldn't keep listening because it sounded like one person had their head in the toilet.
Speaker 2: I was going to say something to them as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the other like one was the audio was great, the other one, you know, So what's my point? My point is whatever you're you know, by the way, when you first start, of course it's not going to be awesome, but hopefully the guests will get better, the conversation will get better, the editing, the sound, the quality of everything, and you keep But if you think you're just going to start podcasting and become a success story, especially in our it ain't going to happen without you know, you're rolling up your sleeves and going, I'm going to do worst case scenario one hundred episodes. Then reassess, like, if you're not going to do one hundred and you won't commit to one hundred, and then reassess my opinion, don't start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you've just got that one outcome goal, it mightn't be that you're going to be the best podcast for every one day, but something in your life will be you'll be way better at it as a result of the work you've put in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that you know, with everything that we do, you know, as a gym instructor, I was crap and then I got better and then as a trainer the same, and then as a podcaster. I think I'm still improving. I definitely have room for growth and improvement. And you know, it's it's that, it's that that kind of duality of being able to still have one eye on development and learning and progression while also being able to be in the middle of it going. But also, by the way, this is fucking awesome right now, you know that that which I've spoken a few guests about the the kind of almost the conundrum of being both ambitious and content at the same time, because they seem to be exclusive. But you know, I think for the most part, I'm content. I don't really have any significant regular anxiety. But also I'm ambitious. I would love to have a million listeners a week, but if I never do, that's okay, you know. So it's been fun TIF.
Speaker 2: As always, Thanks Harps.
Speaker 1: No boobs for you and no knows job for me. I think I think there are two of the key takeaways. And maybe build a.
Speaker 2: Job you like wh when typ hits a million listens a week, maybe you can buy me some ee surgery. Though for my Christmas bonus, I.
Speaker 1: Don't even see the eye think I'm looking, but maybe it's because you've got to filter onto you really, thanks everything, all right everyone, love your guts