Speaker 1: Live on Sky News.
Speaker 2: This is Sharry Good Evening.
Speaker 3: Another big show tonight. The shock decision to hold off a rate cut, Why the RBA governor insists it's not a betrayal of homeowners. Devastating stories emerged from the flooding disaster in Texas. Will cross live to a reporter on the ground later this hour, Plus the mushroom murderer, Aaron Patterson's a radic past revealed and the photographs of her that the ABC was reluctant to publish. Israel nominates Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize. I'll ask Michaylia Cash if she thinks Trump is a deserving nominee. Shortly and three are charged over the storming of a Melbourne restaurant. The Israeli Ambassador Emir Maimond would join me tonight for an exclusive interview. That's all coming up, but first tonight. Anthony Albinezi today confirmed he'll visit China this Saturday. This is truly astonishing that he's about to meet Chinese President she for the fourth time, while he still hasn't managed to secure a single meeting with the US president.
Speaker 2: The pair, in fact have never met.
Speaker 3: Despite Trump winning the election on November fourth, eight months ago. Eight months here was ALBINIZI please, there's punch to announce he's visiting China on Saturday.
Speaker 4: I look forward to going to Shanghai, Beijing and Qingdu, which I will visit from Saturday. China is an important trading partner for Australia. Twenty five percent of our exports go to China.
Speaker 2: This is deeply worrying.
Speaker 3: Let's not forget China's aggressive treatment of Australia over the past decade. It's taken foreign interference and espionage to new levels. It's repeatedly try to interfere in our political system, our democracy, with covert influence operations launched to infiltrate our parliament. It's something ASIO Director General Mike Burgess has spoken about at length. There've been aggressive actions as well towards our military. This includes Australian Navy divers sustaining minor injuries after a sonar attack from a Chinese warship. The incident took place while Albanzi was at Apec, but the Prime Minister didn't bother to raise it with she, as you can see in this footage. Instead, there was a warm greeting the government didn't even make the incident public at all until after that meeting.
Speaker 5: He had an opportunity last week at APEC to raise this very significant incident with Jijingping, and it turns out, well, it appears that he did not, And so now we have the Chinese government deflicting and indeed you could say gas lighting us.
Speaker 3: In another incident, China also dropped flares dangerously close to an Australian patrol flight. And then, of course there was more recently China's live fire military exercises off the Tasman Sea. Now at its worst this could have downed an Australian flight. No notice was given, despite Albanesi initially defending the communist state by claiming China had provided advance warning.
Speaker 2: Well, it had it, as it turned out, and it was.
Speaker 3: Left to a virgin pilot to tell authorities what was going on. Then there was the Chinese dual purpose research vessel circumnavigating our southern coast at the start of the election campaign, and going back further, China slapped coercive trade tariffs on Australia in response for the very sensible demand, obvious demand that there should be an independent inquiry into the origin of the pandemic, an inquiry that never happened. Now, Albanezi can barely bring himself to criticize Beijing, yet he's got no qualm speaking in a demeaning fashion about both the United States and our other allies like Israel. Foreign editor The Australian Greg Sheridan makes this point. He says, it's worth noting that as the PM prepares for his fourth meeting with She but apparently won't go to Washington to meet Donald Trump, he's now making strategic speeches more welcome in Beijing than in Washington, and the Prime Minister seems to find every excuse for China's intimidation of our country.
Speaker 2: Yet, make no mistake.
Speaker 3: The threat China posers is the very reason we need a strong military. It's the very reason we need a strong relationship with the United States. We don't have the defense capability to defend ourselves. We'd have to rely on the goodwill of the President of the day and our long standing alliance with the United States, an alliance that is at its rockiest moment in fifty years. Ever since the Battle of the Coral Sea, Australia and America have stood side by side, but now Albanezi risks it all as he coses up to Beijing and refuses to cooperate with the United States on defense spending. I want to turn now to the devastating flash flooding in Texas that's taken away so many beautiful young lives. In the early hours of Friday morning, a month's worth of rain poured down on Texas hill country. The Guadalupa River rose twenty meters in a matter of minutes. It was swift and it was merciless. A Christian girls camp, camp Mysstic, was the worst hit. This haunting photograph shows thirteen girls and two counselors who were staying in a cabin near the river. You can see their beautiful smiles as they began their summer camp. But five days after that photograph was taken, all of those girls, including the two counselors, were swept away. Ten of their bodies have been recovered and three are still missing.
Speaker 6: In the morning, they gathered all the counselors who were at Cypress Lake and they told us that two of sorry two of the cabins with the seven year old girls wiped away, and that all these girls were missing.
Speaker 3: The aftermath is now a devastating scene of colorful backpacks, pink.
Speaker 2: Toys, and right clothes.
Speaker 3: Parents grappling with the unbearable reality that their little.
Speaker 2: Girls will never return home.
Speaker 3: Children who survived the flood sang as they were sadly evacuated. Amid those devastating scenes of wreckage, sprayse.
Speaker 7: God, I want my world to know the Lord over has come to me.
Speaker 6: I want to pass the scion.
Speaker 3: In total, one hundred people have been confirmed dead in the flash flooding, but this is likely to still rise, with dozens unaccounted for. Divers, helicopters, and even drones are being used in the desperate search for survivors. One forty five year old dad has told of trying to kayak to reach his daughters and his parents, who were staying in a different cabin closer to the river, but he said his kayak was knocked against a post.
Speaker 2: He said if he.
Speaker 3: Went any further it would have been a death sentence. His daughters and father were killed, and his mother's body is still missing. One family was camping when the rains grew heavy. A mother of four, Amanda, tells how her husband was monitoring the river, and he made, in hindsight, the very lucky decision to evacuate in the middle of the night, and.
Speaker 8: Once the water kind of started coming over the bank, is when he came in and said, we need to go now.
Speaker 2: And it was just.
Speaker 8: The whole family just immediately went into let's just get out of here. One of my sons grabbed all the.
Speaker 2: Dogs from higher ground.
Speaker 3: The family heard the devastation and chaos, the screams as the river rushed in.
Speaker 8: The sound of the campers and cabins just crushing against each other. That was the first of it, and that's what caught our attention. So I immediately went to our staff, went through all our belongings, found PFDs life jackets for all the children and said, you know, put this on.
Speaker 2: And now.
Speaker 3: The survivor told of how he and his wife went with the current until they clung onto a tree and waited for help.
Speaker 9: Things were getting dice here by the moment. We couldn't tell if the water is going to continue to rise, so I said, we need to get out of the house. So I grabbed my wife and we literally jumped in the water, and it swept us down to about two hundred feet down that way, and there was a great murle tree that we grabbed hold of and we waited for rescue.
Speaker 3: The question is how could this happen in America, of all places with supposedly first world emergency response systems. There was one warning on Thursday at one eighteen pm that heavy rainfall could cause flash flooding across counties, but the forecasters only predicted three to seven inches of rain. Another warning at six' ten pm said flash flooding was likely Across Central texas, overnight but the most urgent awnings warnings came when everyone was, asleep from one am. Onwards it was a warning at three am of catastrophic potential loss of life and a flash flood emergency for the. Region that was the most, Crucial but three, am of, course was too, little too. Late there were no serious advanced warnings or orders to evacuate from, authorities and even at one am there were no external warning sirens that rang. Out already at that, time The Guadalupa river had reached a flooding stage Near Camp. Mystic the worst impact was between four am, am when survivors described a raging torrent coming in and it's clear to see in the pictures that utter. Devastation caverns and other buildings completely, destroyed trees and cars floated, downstream debris. Everywhere one survivor described how cars were floating past with people inside yelling for, help help that would never. Come one survivor said it was pitch, black so all you see was the lights floating and people screaming and banging against the window and. Honking but there were other young lives. Saved about seven miles From Camp, mystic there was an employee at The presbyterian Mo Ranch assembly who noticed the rising water levels and managed to evacuate seventy children and their chaperones between two thirty am and four. Am she managed to move them to higher ground and saved all of their. Lives for the families of over one hundred, people many children weren't so. Lucky Evacuation systems and warning sirens that should have been in, place given the area is prone to flash, flooding just weren't. There the last major flooding of The guadaloupa was in nineteen eighty seven and it killed.
Speaker 2: Ten teenagers who were attending a church.
Speaker 3: Camp so this has happened, before and there was a similar flood that destroyed cottages in nineteen thirty. Two there, will of, course now no, doubt be inquiries and investigations and accountability and answers are. Needed but this won't bring any relief to the heartbroken parents who sent, happy, smiling healthy children off to summer, camp only to have now lost them. Forever they're now facing the cruel and unth thinkable reality of their world's shattered by the pain of losing their precious. Children And i'll be crossing live To Central texas for more on the devastating floods later this, hour but first let's get into the day's top. Stories there's a lot going on, today and joining me tonight is Former speaker of The House Bronwan bishop and A Dony media Founder.
Speaker 2: Lisa, gottaitt and good to see you both.
Speaker 3: Now in a shock, move THE rba has kept interest rates on hold at three point eighty five percent, today which has denied mortgage relief for millions Of. Australians and here was THE Rba Governor Michelle, bullock defending this decision this.
Speaker 10: Afternoon decision today was about was about timing rather than. Direction AND i Think i've made this point in the, past but our full cast guidess and, yes they get more uncertain the further we go, out but at least in the near, term what we're looking for is confirmation that we are basically on our full cast.
Speaker 3: Path, now the decision to hold was not. Unanimous some of the board members wanted a, cut But Michelle bullock argues it would have been a betrayal.
Speaker 2: If she'd let inflation get out of.
Speaker 3: Hand So, brunman what we're looking at here is families who are continue who continue to grapple with the cost of living. Crisis THE rba says inflation isn't yet under. Control do you think they made the right decision to hold?
Speaker 11: Today, WELL i think there's another point where you have to discuss the fact that for the first time we've seen as a split in the board making the, decision AND i think that weakens confidence in The Reserve bank because it shows it's not a. Certainty it makes it less. Certain could be, right could be wrong is how people will see. It and angry because everybody was telling them there's going to be a, cut and people with mortgages and people who are renting are affected by that as. Well just didn't. Happen SO i think there's a worry the way the new board is, constructed and this discussion and that very fierce press conference, afterwards everybody was, saying, well how did you? Vote how did The secretary of The treasury? Vote who was wanting to bring them? Down SO i think they've created a big problem for. Themselves and then of course you had the treasurers, say, oh, WELL i don't comment on what they, do they're. Independent then of course he sends out The Australia institute to speak for The Labor party and attack the judgment of the of the. Decision SO i think it was a very unsatisfactory. DAY i think a lot of people will continue to. HURT i think waiting for the quarter figures seems to be the basis of the decision could be seen to be super. Cautious but my main concern is that now When Michelle, bullock despite the FACT i think she's very, GOOD i think they are now less regarded as giving good judgment because there's obviously.
Speaker 3: Splits, yeah, indeed when it's not, unanimous you, know you wonder.
Speaker 2: Like viage was. Right.
Speaker 3: Now the issue as, well, is of course the political reaction to this had there been a rate, cut where Likely lisa would have seen The Albert easy government out claiming credit for, it no.
Speaker 2: Doubt but yet when.
Speaker 3: There's, Not oh it's because of global, uncertainty which, yes of course does play a, factor but this is how it will play.
Speaker 12: Out, yeah so you're exactly. Right and to pick up further On broman's, point you're talking about the changes with THE. Rba this was all meant to be about, transparency AND i think you're, Right. BRODWIN i think you're going to have Average australians now who are sitting home trying to do their household budgets looking at those, figures and there'll be a witch hunt, now or at least the chase on to try to understand exactly who was for it and who was against it and what were those driving factors. There and you're, right it will put doubt and questions around the confidence that we have in THE rba moving, forward because, tonight as we sit, here there are families at home now working out how can we afford that next carton of, eggs how can we afford that next life of? Bread and to Watch Jim charmers today very much if he had announced AN rba interest rate cut. Today he would have been out there. Gloating he would have been claiming it as a victory for the labor. Government this is very, MUCH i think a judgment call on how labor is running this.
Speaker 2: Economy, indeed, well.
Speaker 3: Let's return to the guilty verdict of mushroom Murderer Aaron.
Speaker 2: Patterson and she spent.
Speaker 3: Her first four day in jail, today this after she was found guilty of three counts of. Murder, now since the, verdict parts of her checkered past have been. Revealed The Australian today reporting That Aaron patterson abruptly left her job as an air traffic controller amid concerns about her behavior and treatment of. Colleagues and this is according to a former staff Member Roman what else can? You what else have we now learned About Aaron? Patterson now that the media are free to publish stories about her, past they wouldn't be in contempt of.
Speaker 2: Court, Now, well.
Speaker 11: The trouble with this whole case is it's become an international phenomenon and there are going to be people wanting to make money out of. It they are going to be offers being made to the former. Husband they are going to be offers made to the survivor of the attempted, murder and we're going to hear all sorts of people coming forward and, saying, WELL i knew, her AND i think she was a, enoughcase OR i knew this she was came in with wearing the same clothes all the.
Speaker 2: TIME i thought that was a very curious.
Speaker 11: Comment SO i don't think we've seen the end of this for a long long. Time but when you heard the doctor come out and make, COMMENTS i thought that was quite. Dramatic BUT i think there's going to be, many many people coming out making more and more comments because it is such a bizarre.
Speaker 2: Case it really.
Speaker 11: Is it is quite beyond the sheer thinking about going to pick those motions toadstools is what they, are and to put them into a Berth, wellington which was a very Popular edish in the. Eighties IF i recall and set out to actually give them a painful, death it's.
Speaker 2: Pretty, horrendous it really. Is it really, is and.
Speaker 11: That's WHY i think there are going to be lots and lots of people sought to give more and more opinions to try and see what it is that brought about this serial, killer.
Speaker 3: AND i just feel sorry for her children as. Well they'd be doing with so.
Speaker 2: Much for the other. Children but what about.
Speaker 3: This you would have seen the photographs Of Aaron patterson that were taking yesterday on the front page of the papers. Today, well THE, abc it turns, out considered not publishing these unflattering images of the convicted mushroom killer because THE abc was concerned about her privacy and.
Speaker 2: Distress this is.
Speaker 3: According to internal staff emails obtained By Steve jackson At The. Australian so THE abc is worried about the privacy of a convicted triple. Murderer NOW i understound these photographs cuss around ten thousand dollars and many media outlets did pay that amount of. Money we didn't At, Sky but it wasn't because of the privacy of a. KILLER i mean that was the ABC's, concern which is utterly, Bizarre.
Speaker 12: Lisa THE abc has suddenly grown a conscience about what it wants to show and what it doesn't and to describe them as, unflattering that's not enough to say in an editorial, decision we are not going to run these. Photos as you, say she's now a convicted, murderer serial killer if you like what you used the fact that there was conversations inside THE abc to, say we've used taxpayer funded money buy these, images but now we are not sure as to whether we can whether it was stand the public interest argument or. NOT i just think that they're sitting on a moral high horse that they don't normally sit on at all if you look at any of the graphic images that they quite happily put out there on many other. Stories on this one they suddenly tried to, say, well we're going to be holier than now and not run. THEM i don't think that's the right thing to. DO i understand the conversation needs to be, had And, sharry you would have been in newsrooms where these conversations have. Had but she's a convicted. Murderer the public has a right to see, IT i think.
Speaker 3: EXACTLY i mean worried about protecting the privacy of a triple murderer WHEN i mean when THE abc has, acted in my, view in such a morally corrupt fashion when it comes TO i, mean they used to cover the anti samitism crisis for a very long.
Speaker 2: Time now they.
Speaker 11: Are BUT i Mentioned Heston, russell what they did to him, exactly absolutely lied about him and had to pay. Damages and you're quite right the coverage of the anti Semitism, yes, indeed, yes indeed you're quite.
Speaker 3: Right before well added the gunshots that absolutely, Yes so if you but the point you made about the way they covered the Anti semitism, issue it's just been.
Speaker 11: Appalling so it just shows what a mess they're.
Speaker 2: IN i, mean if.
Speaker 3: Really watching THE, abc you would be shocked to hear That trump might get A nobel peace.
Speaker 2: Price but it's happening well.
Speaker 11: Quite, FRANKLY i think that was a brillant suggestion of The Israeli Prime minister to Nominate. Trump when you look at the work that he did with The Abraham, accords when you look at the sheikhs who are now saying that they would like to be part of The Abraham, accord they're looking for. PEACE i think he deserves it when you think That obama got it for turning.
Speaker 2: Up, ye, exactly just for Being.
Speaker 3: Obama, yeah, Indeed And i'm about to speak To Mikayla cash about this very Tubbing.
Speaker 2: Brahman Bishop Lisa, goddard great to see, You thank you both so. Much we'll see you next.
Speaker 3: Week all, right let's return To albaneze's announcement today that he's jetting off To china this weekend to meet With President, shijingping where he'll no doubt be given the royal. Treatment AS i said, earlier this will be his fourth trip To china since Becoming Prime minister and Joining minow's Shadow Foreign Affairs, Minister Mikaylia.
Speaker 2: Cash great to see, You.
Speaker 3: Michaalea we also saw that subtle swipe From alberanizi in Is John curtin's speech about shying away from The United. States are you concerned That alberanizi is now jeopardizing our relationship with our most important, ally THE?
Speaker 13: Us, YES i am Shari and in particular when you have noted commentators Like Greg sheridan now posing the, question Is Anthony alberzi, intentionally for reasons only known to, himself seeking to undermine and diminish our relationship.
Speaker 2: With The United.
Speaker 13: States australians should be. Worried you, know in twenty twenty five you have, rising you know, conflict you have global unrestd we should be as a country seeing our prime stand up and say reaffirm that we stand with the country The United, states who has long been a key foundation of our, security who has been and continues to be the leader of the free. World we should be backing in The Australia United States, alliance and Yet Anthony, albnizi he seems to have put it on the back. Burner and that IS i. WORRY i, mean.
Speaker 2: That's speech that was just.
Speaker 13: Bizarre the speech for the curtain narration on the. WEEKEND i mean Again Greeg SHERIDAN i saw described it as a look away From america's.
Speaker 2: SPEECH i mean that'd have the heads In.
Speaker 13: Washington doesn't that be scratching them and going what is going on With. Australia so, YES i am, concerned but in particular in twenty twenty, five when we should be reaffirming our relationship and The AUSTRALIA Us, alliance not putting it on the back burner like Mister albernizi appears to have.
Speaker 2: DONE i, agree very.
Speaker 3: Worrying AS i just, Mentioned Donald trump met With Israeli Prime Minister benjaminette And yahoo today And nettaya who suggested that he said he had Nominated trump for The Nobel Peace.
Speaker 2: Prize have a.
Speaker 7: LOOK i want to present to you as.
Speaker 14: President the LETTER i sent to The Normal Prize, committee it's noment in you for The Peace, prize which is well.
Speaker 3: Deserved this is now the second country to have Nominated. Trump do you think he is deserving of The Nobel Peace.
Speaker 13: Prize, well let's look at his actions under both his former administration and the administration. TODAY i, Mean, BROMWIN i listened THERE i just. MENTIONED i mean it was the Former trump administration that successfully negotiated The Abraham. Accords now that IS i see series of agreements Between israel and Participating arab states that sought to normalize relationships that were seen as a very positive step towards peace and. Security but on top of, that look at his recent actions to ensure That iran does not have nuclear. CAPABILITY i, mean he made a decision that his military would launch a series of precision strikes On iran's nuclear. Facilities he is seeking to protect the world from a nuclear Armed. Iran that is a good, Thing, shari and he should be commended for. It but Also, SHARI i would, say Since october, seventh twenty twenty, Three President trump and his, administration they have been integral in the negotiations to get the, hostages the hostages that have been kidnapped by the militant terrorist organization HUM, us who have still not been released. Today he has been integral in seeking to have them returned back To. Israel so IF i look at the actions Of President trump and his, administration those actions are to be commended because they are taken to ensure steps towards peace in The Middle, east which we all. Want but more than, that in relation To, iran that is of benefit.
Speaker 2: To the entire global.
Speaker 3: Community, absolutely that's something the government refuses to. Acknowledge And i'm going to be speaking With israel's ambassador To australia. Shortly just want to refer to the horrific antisemitism we saw In melbourne on the weekend and specifically The abanese government's response to, it because The Prime minister today rejected calls to implement the fifteen point plan that was developed through Our Sky News Anti semity.
Speaker 4: Summit here he was Any semitism is a, scourge has no place In. Australia let's be. Clear what people want as not a. Meeting they want. Action they want action is what they.
Speaker 3: Want yet he won't implement the recommendations that The Executive council Of Australian jury put forward developed through our. Summit do you agree that he does need to implement those? Recommendations, absolutely and under Both Peter dutton and Now Susan, lee The coalition has committed to them to implement them in. Full i'm at now at a, LOSS i say The Prime minister in.
Speaker 13: The, footage it's just. Platitude he could actually say what he likes now and it just wouldn't matter because this is a man who opens his, mouth words come, out but then his actions betray him every single. Time i've had a look at. Them i've had a look at. Them I've i've got one of them. HERE i want to read it out to, you see your, listeners me and he's saying no To, yeah preachers and larities spreading. Hate religious and other charitable institutions should have their charity status and all funding revoked if they promote, racism including Anti, semitism or display a terrorist. Symbol, WELL i don't know on what planet The Prime minister lives if he does not think that that is a, sensible practical and reasonable. Recommendation so shame on The Prime. Minister he has been presented with a constructive list of recommendations by the people who have been affected most egregiously by Anti semitism in this, country.
Speaker 2: And he's not going to implement.
Speaker 13: Them so there you, go every time he opens his, mouth platitudes and nothing.
Speaker 2: More, yeah and you're exactly.
Speaker 3: Right every one of those fifteen recommendations are, sensible meaningful and.
Speaker 2: DIRECTED i believe.
Speaker 3: They would have a angible difference on reducing, wicked not, eliminating but at least reducing anti seven McKenny, Exactly Michaylae, cash thank you very much for coming on the. Program now still to, come devastating flooding in Central, texas claiming the lives of more than one hundred. People we'll get the latest FROM cnn Reporter Lee, woldman plus The Prime minister dismisses suggestions to tackle the Anti semitism. Problem as we've just been, Discussing israel's ambassador To, Australia Emir, maimon.
Speaker 2: Would join me to discuss that's. Next welcome. Back.
Speaker 3: Well, today three people were charged with, assault righteous behavior and criminal damage after a group of protesters stormed An israeli owned restaurant In, MELBOURNE cbd On friday night and joining me now Is israel's ambassador To, Australia Emir.
Speaker 2: Maymon, emir thank you very much for your.
Speaker 3: Time, now there've been no arrests made over The adas synagogue fire bombing From december last, year so it was really good news today that police have acted so swiftly over now two incidents From friday night with a series of.
Speaker 2: Arrests, well good.
Speaker 15: Evening, shari and thank you once again for having me in your. Program, yes this is definitely a very positive step in the right. Direction the arrest a few hours after the arsen attack attempt was, immediate and also today announcement of The Victoria police is definitely a positive step. Forward this is exactly what everyone was looking for for real, action And i'm really satisfied that in the end of the investigation it led to the arrest of a number of, people AND i do hope that in the future we'll see some more arrest of people that were involved in Anti semitic.
Speaker 2: Attacks, YEAH i hope so as.
Speaker 3: Well, amir you personally visited The East Melbourne synagogue.
Speaker 2: Today, look when you first.
Speaker 3: Began you're posting In, australia could you ever have imagined you'd be visiting synagogues that have been, firebombed that we'd be dealing with this crisis of antisemitism In.
Speaker 2: Australia, well to.
Speaker 15: Be, honest WHEN i was appointed by The minispipy Of Fauna, FIRST i was told by some of my very capable predecessors that there is no better place Than australia to spend the last few years before. Retirement, unfortunately the last three, years my last three years were all but the preparation for my future. Retirement and you're absolutely. RIGHT i didn't expect that during my TENURE i would be visiting so many. Synagogues it's not just The adasis will not just the synagogue In. MELBOURNE i also visited the synagogue In newtown and also In South. Sydney and by the, way WHEN i visited the synagogue In, NEWTOWN i discovered the synagogue was attack in nineteen ninety three and arsen. Attack people tend to forget it that the recent arsen attack are not the first one here In. Australia and not only, that IF i can share something with, You On december, sixth the day a few hours after The Adas israel synagogue was. Attacked we held a ceremony here in The embassy round to commemorate the historic protest Of William. Cooper William cooper protested and it is in accordance to The advashem the single private prose that is. Recorded he protested in front of The German Consulated, melbourne and it was all About. Crystal The night of The Broken glasses In november, ninth nineteen thirty, eight the night Where jewish books were burned and The jewish shops windows were, broken And jewish synagogues were also. Burnt and for me to visit the synagogue Dass Was synagogue the following early the following, week it was really so, sad so chilling to visit these two holes that were burnt to, ashes to smell the smoke and the. Fire it took me back to The Crystal. North it took me back To october the. Seventh but you know, what in each one of these synagogues THAT i, VISITED i met with a Wonderful australians Of jewish origin that are so determined not to let anything to interfere with their, culture with their. Life they you, KNOW i went there to strengthen, them to support, them AND i felt that they supported me more THAN i supported, them and their message was very. Clear The jewish music will never be. Stopped nobody will stop The jewish. Music and that's you, know a real, Pride no it.
Speaker 2: Is, indeed it's a beautiful.
Speaker 3: Sentiment and what about you, Personally, emya how have you been treated as The israeli ambassador during your time In.
Speaker 2: Australia, well it's not our two period of.
Speaker 15: Time october the sevenths is definitely a day that changed the life of Many, israelis many members of The australian community Of jewish, origin and changed the life of all those who care and Love. ISRAEL i woke up After october the seventh AND i was In israel And october the seventh to find out That i'm not always welcome by all political, circles and to wake up and find out that some politicians are calling the government to, deport to expel me From. Canberra it's not something very. Nice on the other, HAND i should emphasize THAT i still enjoy a very good relation and communication with the senior leadership and with The Prime minister and The Foreign minister and many other senior. Ministers But, unfortunately not all are are willing to meet with, me and it is a bit upsetting because we live In australia is a democracy AND i was always in the view that those who live in democracy should not have any problems meeting the representative of other democratic, countries despite and regardless the differences that we may.
Speaker 2: Have, yeah but AS i.
Speaker 15: Said the glass is not fully. Empty the glass is also half. Full And i'm thankful for the very good and for the quality of the communication THAT i have with the senior.
Speaker 3: Leadership, Well i'm glad you are optimistic and you have that, outlook and we are always privileged and honored to have you on the. Program so you know you don't have that reaction from, here even though you might have it from parts of The Labor.
Speaker 2: Party amir May, one thank you very much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Tonight all, right still to come are us style primaries the answer to The Liberal party Wose i'll speak With Andrew caswell And Camra milner a bit. Later PLUS cnn Reportedly woldman brings us the very latest on the tragedy In.
Speaker 2: Texas that's after this quick. Break welcome.
Speaker 3: Back in returning now to the devastating floods In, texas which has claimed the lives of more than one hundred, people dozens still unaccounted. For and joining me now IS Cnn Raportter live From Central, Texas Lee, Waldman, lee thank you very much for joining. Us, look this has been particularly tragic because so many.
Speaker 2: Children have been.
Speaker 3: Killed what are some of the stories you're hearing that are emerging from devastated families whose little girls were at summer.
Speaker 2: Camps, sure it's good to be with, you and you're exactly.
Speaker 7: Right there's so much heartbreak that's here after these devastating. Floods more than one hundred people have, died but here In Kirk county where we, are the death toll continues to rise at a rapid. Rate we've talked so much About Camp, mystic that all girls, camp located right along The Guadalupe. River there was twenty seven lives that were lost there and stories of, heartbreak stories of counselors trying to save the kids inside of their. Cabins in the families of these children who were losting their kids were sent there to have a great, summer to make, memories telling us that their kids brought light to every room that they walked. In it's truly. Heartbreaking but we also want to talk about the director of that, camp Mister. Eastland he, died according to his, family trying to save the kids at this, camp trying to get them out of the rising water two higher grounds so they could so they could get to, safety and unfortunately he was swept away by these. Floodwaters we're hearing so many stories of heroism, here of people risking everything to try and save those who were around.
Speaker 2: Them it's truly.
Speaker 3: Heartbreaking there's a lot of discussionally about whether the warnings were.
Speaker 2: Adequate of course they. Weren't what notice were?
Speaker 3: Families were people having holidays there or at the? Camps what notice were they given that there would be life threatening flash, Flooding.
Speaker 2: Sherry that's a good.
Speaker 7: Question so we know that this area is very popular for camping for families to spend The fourth Of july, holiday especially on the.
Speaker 2: River that's something we do a lot here In.
Speaker 7: Texas we know that alerts were sent out to this area by The National Weather service three times On friday, morning around one, am around three thirty, am and around four. Am, now some, people including the mayor Of, curveville where we are right, now said that they never received any kind of alert alerting them about the floodwater that was. COMING fema has put out information about why some people might not have gotten an.
Speaker 2: Alerts to their.
Speaker 7: Phone it could have to do with them turning off the emergency alerts on their, phones but also could have to do with cell phone signal and cell phone coverage in this, area something our team has also had to battle in some of these more rural areas not being able to get cell, signals so that plays a role in whether or not people were able to receive those types of. Alerts, now not far from where we are here In, curve there's a town Called, comfort and In, Comfort, texas they're also prone to. Flooding like we saw, here they have an emergency alert system that sounded a siren about the rising floodwater and there is no futalities in that, community.
Speaker 3: Which shows the importance of those public siren. Systems Lee, woldman thank you very much for joining us at that very early hour five forty am in Central.
Speaker 2: Texas thank you now still to.
Speaker 3: Come Andrew carswell And Camra milner with me live to talk INTRODUCING us style primaries to select liberal.
Speaker 2: Candidates will that help the. Party that's.
Speaker 3: Next welcome back and let's bring in our political panel now Former Morrison Press Secretary Andrew carswell and Former Labor State Secretary Camer.
Speaker 2: Milner great to see you. Both let's start with the.
Speaker 3: Coalition The liberals are now exploring ways to rebuild the party's core support after their devastating election result and.
Speaker 2: Along with more women in the party.
Speaker 3: Room one idea that's been floated is For liberal candidates to be selected by the general, public so not Just Liberal party members and having A us style primary. System this would allow local voters to have a say in who the candidates, are regardless of whether they are Carrying Liberal party members card Carrying Liberal party. Members Julian lisa has supported this. Idea he says it's the best way to ensure that our members reflect the communities that they. Represent it's to have the largest number of members of the general community choose.
Speaker 2: Them, andrew what do you?
Speaker 3: THINK i think it would be hard to disagree with this, idea Giving australians a, say, well they've got to try.
Speaker 14: Something shari to freshen things up and explore other avenues to attract the right candidates and get the right candidates into, parliament and particularly to attract more women into parliament and get them into successful positions where they can be in Part AND i think that this, issue this, way this mechanism will do. THAT i, mean you can have all the, rhetoric can hold all the good intentions in the world about trying to get more women in, parliament but unless you've got a mechanism that will allow that to, happen it won't happen to the same degree as it does in The Labor party where you have a. Quota now quotas it not everyone's cup of tea within the. Party that's clearly evident at what we've seen this week with the bickering that goes on between the right and the. Left but when you put the power in the hands of the public to, decide you're going to get an outcome that is the equivalent of a quota style. Outcome the public want more women in, parliament they want people from more diverse, backgrounds they want people from more diverse professional backgrounds as well as ethnic. Backgrounds they want that gender. Neutrality so we will see the results that the party's trying to strive. For AND i Think susan's walk this line very, well very. Wisely she's not going to be a bulldozer on this. Issue she's going to bring the party with, her and this is the first step with.
Speaker 3: That the only flip, Side Cameron milner is that if they're not members of The Liberal, party then they don't hold the.
Speaker 2: Values necessarily of The Liberal. Party so you could.
Speaker 3: Have green style voters selecting A liberal. Candidate so that would be very, problematic.
Speaker 1: It would be And Shari, Look Labor party looked at this actually fifteen years Ago Forkeda carr And braxware review into our twenty ten federal election in which they actually came out with the idea of. Primary so this is not new to major polical parties to look at and grapple with about how they find better. Candidates but you're, RIGHT i, mean in THE us the experiences you actually have tactical. Voting you Have democrats voting for the most, extreme Extreme republican candidates in certain pre selections to try to get a candidate who's unelectable pre. Selected so now there's a lot of INTERFERENCE i think in primaries that it's not well. Understood and at the end of the, day party. Members party members are actually going to reflect the, community not just some artificial preselection. Process but CAN i say it wasn't the quality of the, Candidates it was the quality of the campaign and a complete lack of policies that let The Liberal party down and smash their primary wasn't the, candidates he was the. Campaign and also.
Speaker 3: It's who's running and whether that person as leader connects With. Australians and you, KNOW i Think Peter dartten was. Terrific we had him on the show a lot of, times but for whatever, reason there was that disconnected In australians didn't feel like they knew him well. Enough so they were influenced by the scare campaigns that labor around so, successfully and they could see in their polling the immediate impact of those scare, campaigns and people believed them and they were influenced by.
Speaker 2: Them NOW i want to.
Speaker 3: Return to The albanese government and particularly The prime minister making his fourth trip To. Beijing while the relationship with THE us is, Failing, andrew there seems to be an inversion of foreign. POLICY i, mean as alban easy forgotten How china has Treated australia over many years you saw it up, close since your old boss dared to call for an inquiry into the origins of the pandemic that killed millions around the.
Speaker 14: World, yeah what's troubling, Here shari is there's an increasing alignment on our foreign posture and our foreign rhetoric and our foreign positions With, china with The Chinese Communist party as opposed to traditional sense we would have alignment with our alliance partners in THE us and our partners In europe as. Well there is an increasing alignment With china when it comes to, defense and this would Make chinese officials. Please there is no doubt about, that particularly as The Prime minister heads To china this. Week china is increasingly expansionist in its view of the, world Whereas australia is increasingly isolated and insulance thinking in the. World that Pleases. Beijing china is racing its defense, Spending it's increasing its defense. Capabilities ours is tracking, sideways and they're ignoring every effort from our alliance partners to increase our defense. Spending this Pleases, china there is no doubt about. That AND i think The Prime minister And Foreign Minister wong think they're actually winning this argument on defense. Spending think they think they're actually doing the right thing. Here and you, know this is The prome minister that was going to walk into a meeting With Donald trump at THE g seven and say the reason we're not going to increase our defense spending is because we HOST us troops On australian, soil like that was a. Thing you, know there's THIRTEEN us bases in THE, uk there's FORTY us military installations In. Germany do they get a discount on their defense? Spending, no they increased it to five.
Speaker 2: Percent.
Speaker 3: YEAH i think the foreign policy is just so confused under the current, government mostly the fauld Of Penywang.
Speaker 2: CAMERA i, mean.
Speaker 3: This is absurd what we're playing out a prime minister who has no relationship with The president of The United.
Speaker 2: States when has that? Happened not in our living?
Speaker 1: Memory and that's that's the real. Risk, KIRSHARI i, mean this is this is inverted foreign. Policy we favor our enemies over our allies and that's a huge. Problem but isn't you, know Isn't alba getting this down of fine, art sucking up to The chinese and chasing gratuitous compliments like handsome. BOY i, mean he doesn't want a meeting With trump because that's a hard meeting to. Have he, wants you, know spring rolls In beijing because that's easy and, lazy and so that's the. Problem we actually have to have a conversation With. Trump we have to deal with THE us. Administration we have to deal with our long term, allies like THE, uk Like, israel like THE. Us we can't be sucking up To china because ultimately they're not our, friends they're our.
Speaker 3: Foe And, cameron you, know you've also made the point in your column In The nightly this week as well about how foreign policy is impacting on Anti semitism and social cohesion here because the government's constantly Painting israel as the.
Speaker 2: Enemy can you just expand on that.
Speaker 1: Point, look Anti semitism is a scourge that's been centuries. Old we wanted to finish it, off and we should have finished, off and it's now come. Back it's come back because of Weak albanese government that acquiesces and wrings its hands when it sees synagogue's being. Burnt we've had now two singhogs being. Burnt this is a real, crisis a real crisis that needs real leadership and that's what we're crying out from from This albanese.
Speaker 2: Government, yeah do you think we're going to get? It Andrew? Carswell do you?
Speaker 3: Think because you're not going to have time to answer. Him BUT i suspect now that the election's, over we are seeing a bit of a shift in their. LANGUAGE i was very surprised At Tony burke's comments On. Sunday they were better than we've seen in the past couple of, years and it's probably because the election's. Over see he's not worried about The muslim vote in marginal Western sydney. Seats so Maybe i'm going to be disappointed yet, again but perhaps there is reason to hope that there might actually take some action now that the election's.
Speaker 2: Over we'll.
Speaker 3: See Maybe i'll be, disappointed probably will Be Andrew.
Speaker 2: Carswell Carara.
Speaker 3: Mina great to have you on the, show And i'll be back tomorrow at eight. O'clock and right, now Here's Paul murray