Speaker 1: Jason Lauren on one hundred and it's that time of year. The magpies are out and they're swooping, which brings us to today's experts.
Speaker 2: The experts with Jason Lauren, your vessel specialists who specialize in very special things.
Speaker 3: This week it's legendary bird expert doctor Gronia Clearing. Let's see if she can identify this bird.
Speaker 2: Let's hear from the expert.
Speaker 4: Guys, good morning, so excited to see you in our new home here at Nova.
Speaker 5: It's very fancy, fancy.
Speaker 1: Now it's way too fancy because we always get grown in every year swooping season. We know it's grown season, Rona.
Speaker 6: The magpies are out.
Speaker 2: The magpies are out, and please people, let's not antagonize them. Let's give them a bit of space at this time of the year. It's just that daddy's protecting their babies.
Speaker 6: And so how.
Speaker 4: Do you how do you say a magpie and go, I don't want you to swoop me.
Speaker 2: So what you need to do is respect the bird, make friends with the bird if you will. So not every magpie gets to breed. We assume you know all birds breed, They all have babies.
Speaker 5: They all have nests. No, that's not true.
Speaker 2: And as magpies lose trees, as we cut down trees, actually getting a good tree to nest and becomes more limited, so the small competition. So that's why, you know, the magpies can become a little bit paranoid. You know, they've had to fight off the miners, They've had to fight off other magpies.
Speaker 5: They have their nest, they have their eggs. It's been windy, they've been blown around like hell. They've managed to survive the babies in the nest.
Speaker 6: So they think that we're going to steal it.
Speaker 1: Why are they swooping?
Speaker 2: Well, from a bird's point of view, swooping is a defense mechanism, so birds will swoop other birds, such as the miners. And at this time of the year, the magpie might spot you and think you look a bit suspicious. They might be a little bit like, what's going on with your one day? She looks a bit dodgy, and they might come down to say, hello, are you mentioned someone.
Speaker 4: Someone once told me I have to look them in the eye, but I feel like they're gonna pick.
Speaker 6: My eyes out.
Speaker 1: We were told when we were young to put fake eyes on the back of our stackats, so it looks like.
Speaker 5: They keep looking. No, because the magpie's just like what you're looking at. Why are you staring at me? What's wrong with you?
Speaker 1: If I got the fake eyes that, what will they do again? They'll fly down and fine.
Speaker 2: You've got fake eyes on the back of your smart They are so smart. They have very good memory, so they remember faces and they also remembered voices. So that's why the personal attack.
Speaker 3: If I'm walking, I get swooped one day and I walked back twenty four hours later, that magpie is gonna remember me.
Speaker 2: That magpie will remember you. But what did you do to annoy the magpie?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: Sorry, I've been swept just walking a straight line with my dog, Miny.
Speaker 1: My own. I also recognized you. I knew the.
Speaker 2: Show well, they could have recognized you because you gave it a dodgy look.
Speaker 5: Ditch. Did you annoy it one day? No, but you're not flight.
Speaker 6: I do hate birds though.
Speaker 5: There you go. Knew it. It was like you hate birds?
Speaker 6: Why are you scared of birds? Because I swoop you? And there's lots of kids who were going right now, who gets swooped by a magpie?
Speaker 5: Oh, what should we do the drama.
Speaker 2: First of all, something like less than ten percent of magpies actually swoop, so a very small proportion actually do it.
Speaker 1: To anyone on the time.
Speaker 5: You've been swooped, Yeah, we've all been swooped.
Speaker 3: I don't believe you might want to check your actual contact with the head with the crane.
Speaker 6: I've never been hit.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: The very lastly sort is that the magpie actually wants to hit your dorm head.
Speaker 5: Like the magpie wants to hit that head, you'll hurt me beak. So that usually give you.
Speaker 2: Warn if by doing little clips they claps of the beaks on a call, should we fade them?
Speaker 6: Would that make them be more our friends and not swooper?
Speaker 4: So this is what I take down the street, the ham sandwich in the air and say, take this not my head, it's not a.
Speaker 5: Seagull, it's a magpie.
Speaker 1: There's a little bit of cheese, or that lady like in home alone with the birds saying that's what is.
Speaker 2: If you are having a problem though we are getting swooped, think about providing small bit of food for the magpipe.
Speaker 5: But make sure the magpie sees you.
Speaker 2: And I note that you're giving it a little bit of food and then ite as so, stating that positive experience.
Speaker 1: Act calm, don't run at.
Speaker 5: Cam walk if you're on a bike, get off the bike.
Speaker 4: Walk.
Speaker 5: This is only a short period of time.
Speaker 6: That this actually how long sweeping season?
Speaker 2: Only really till the end of September, sometimes into October.
Speaker 1: Question, I see the funny little bike riders on Bait Road with their silly little zip ties on their helmet. Actually should kids be putting that on their bike helmets?
Speaker 2: No? I think they should learn to understand the bird more and realize that this time of the year, get off your bike, just walk slowly, give the magpipe.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me if I get off the bike and walk slowly, they want to take you.
Speaker 5: Might it would be least likely.
Speaker 2: The magpie seems to be more drawn to fast move into fast. It's like, oh what's going on here? But if you're walking slow, you're la suspicious.
Speaker 4: So I know that you love getting in the psyche of these birds and understanding them, can you? So? Can you be a magpie for a moment And I'm riding my bike down the street, it's going through the magpie's head.
Speaker 2: Role play a bit of okay do she goes, yeah, okay, hang on, hang on. I think I saw her the other day. Yeah, she gave me a bit of the eye. Hang on a sack and keep moving, keep moving, and they kind of be like you just walk on fast.
Speaker 5: But they do watch it. You know, they can't be watching what's moving around and down.
Speaker 1: Lauren looks up at you. You're the magpie. Lauren looks up, she makes eye context, she gives you a filthy look. What are you doing?
Speaker 5: You give a filthy after me babies? You're looking at my babies?
Speaker 6: Are you looking at my babies? And boom swet soap bang you do.
Speaker 4: It's like the new Chick Chick boom, But it's sweet, so bank, can you go on?
Speaker 3: I love you so much? Can you talk to the magpies? I mean, what's can we communicate with the magpie? Send them a message of love and hoping.
Speaker 5: You're mocking me, but I know it's going to be.
Speaker 1: You're an expert. We are laughing.
Speaker 6: I'm laughing a little bit.
Speaker 1: Laughing with it's temper. We're not mocking. We are not moving. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I talk to the magpie. Let the magpie see you don't you know the magpie sees you acknowledges you know that you're just passing through.
Speaker 5: So yes, I'll be like, I'll start with a bit of orige. I'll be like, do you quit? Do you quit? We're just hello and orich and now I'll go how are you going? Are you all right there? And try to go farm a bit of arsie slang that good after the actor?
Speaker 6: Do you actually are you mentally spending? Are you talking like you just go how are you going?
Speaker 2: Because they look at you and they see you and they've got a great audio memory, so you actually should toy to them. Yeah, come on, Melbourne, back me up. You people talk to your magpies as well.
Speaker 1: Come on, do you check to.
Speaker 6: The magpast talk to the animal.
Speaker 1: Just before we let you go, Lauren was looking out the window before on Clarendon Street and she noticed someone getting at it out of their car with something. In fact, Clint didn't I dramatized re enactment.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, there's a man with a glory shoulder.
Speaker 4: There's a man who just got out of his car on Clarendon Straight, right outside of First I swear I saw it with my own two eyes. I was looking out the window. Oh I tried and I couldn't get that fast en up. No, but I've got my eye. He got out of the car. He was driving a blue car. He stepped out of the driver's seat.
Speaker 5: With a bird on his shoulder.
Speaker 6: Is it someone you know or is it a coincidence?
Speaker 4: We've got a bird lady and someone with a glar walking down the street in the same day.
Speaker 5: I know something.
Speaker 1: Glass.
Speaker 5: I'm scared.
Speaker 6: I don't know what to do. I look it in the eyes. What's it's looking at me?
Speaker 1: Did you did you ever see Do you guys ever see that horror movie? Bird?
Speaker 5: Come on, it's paining for.
Speaker 6: It's a glas glass.
Speaker 1: It's a climing gla It's been a while since I've seen the.
Speaker 5: Bird grand the glass. Seriously, it's a good look.
Speaker 1: It's a good look. Gron, our bird expert joining us, wings.
Speaker 5: Up, red bird?
Speaker 6: Did you drive with that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: God, you're going to put it on me.
Speaker 1: I'm going to need a vallem after that. It is just gone a thirty. We just had one of our experts, Gron, who is a bird expert specializing in Doctor Jason.
Speaker 4: One Yr Cleary, PhD, PhD in badgers, she studies.
Speaker 1: How do we know she's got in badgers? Guys? The question?
Speaker 4: She showed us her badger tatto didn't she.
Speaker 1: Got a badger atte? Where was that on a hip? So I walked into the room and she was pulling, flashing her badger her pants down.
Speaker 6: Said hey you're John Irish acton. Hey do you want to see any badger? And I went, I'm not sure. You didn't even say yes or no, just pants and showed a badger. Badger has PhD in badger.
Speaker 1: So that's my badger.
Speaker 6: Here's my badger.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 6: I love this so much.
Speaker 1: Magpie swooping season here in Melbourne. And she did ask this, Come.
Speaker 5: On Melbourne, back me up. You people talk to your magpieces as well.
Speaker 1: Come on, I can't believe this, but thirteen twenty four ten we have a full board of calls of people who talk to.
Speaker 4: Birds just and in west Foot's gray you talk to the birds stops them swooping.
Speaker 6: I believe it works.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, definitely, I've got to.
Speaker 6: When I called the one called Maggie, they've never suited me.
Speaker 7: Me and my party used to always leave a little bit of meat on the band for them.
Speaker 1: And to do the voices when we called them. But you know the voices.
Speaker 6: We're gonna need to hear the voices.
Speaker 7: I'll come on now, all right.
Speaker 6: I was like, cool, Maggie, Maggie.
Speaker 5: A bird caller. I'm just some bluing like it works.
Speaker 6: You're not.
Speaker 4: You are?
Speaker 5: I am a bird talker.
Speaker 7: But also the whole neighborhood kind of talks to this gang of birds.
Speaker 6: They've all lost it in Westwoods exactly.
Speaker 1: Let's let's get to Cassie in hoppers crossing. Cassie, do you talk to birds?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna need a demonstration there, Cassie to them all the time? Are you working birds with birds? Four birds?
Speaker 6: Cassie? Do you speak in like human or bird?
Speaker 1: The native tongue.
Speaker 7: Speaking human but kind of like I'm talking for a baby.
Speaker 6: Okay, give us an impersonation.
Speaker 7: If I'm sitting there at the traffic lights and so Magpie will be like a little bobby, what are you doing? Can you stay off the road. I don't want to have to rescue you.
Speaker 6: Do you only talk to Magpies? Are all types of birds?
Speaker 7: I'll talk to all pipes.
Speaker 1: Uncomfortable. We should encourage more.
Speaker 4: Of the Jason Glenroy, Now, Talia, I believe you speak to birds in Greek.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've got an Electris parrot and the rainbow lower key, and they've learnt to speak Greek in English. But we speak a lot of Greek at home, and so they've kind of picked up a few words.
Speaker 6: What do they say?
Speaker 7: So my electors parents, she'll say, like the local when you're like patting her back and like scratch beneath her wing. My rainbow low key will say like yesterday, Like my dad will whistle and say yesterday, and he'll mimic it back to yesterday, back to you.
Speaker 4: So I got them as pets. So do you speak they're to other birds in the wild and Greek.
Speaker 7: No, No, just our pet birds.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look do you have a kN avery?
Speaker 7: So they've always picked up a few words here and there. They speak a lot of English. My birds bark like my German shepherd dog.
Speaker 1: They're bilingual. Seel like a venturi. How many animals you got?
Speaker 6: They speak Greek and dog and English and English. That's impressive. You know why you're rolling your eyes? You were an Avery guy.
Speaker 1: You're a third guy. I know during puberty I opted for an Avery over a girlfriend.
Speaker 6: I don't think that you did you talk?
Speaker 1: Did you talk?
Speaker 7: Third?
Speaker 1: Funnily enough, when you go down the avery route, the girlfriend option quickly disappears. Lauren, It disappears.
Speaker 6: Doesn't You hadn't that you were an avery guy?
Speaker 1: I was a budge breeder. Did you talk budget?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 1: I had a couple until the neighbors cat got how many? I probably had ten on the goat?
Speaker 6: Did you sell them?
Speaker 2: What did you keep?
Speaker 1: A little breeding boxes? I was about to start, like fully, going into production, but the neighbors, the neighbor's cat got in there.
Speaker 6: Chase Hawkins, the budget guard. What were they called?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't name him and I didn't talk to him. To me, business completely normal.
Speaker 6: You just had breeding boxes in the backyard. How big was the avery?
Speaker 1: And so I was half the studio? Have we got another call? My dad built it for me. Oh beautiful, Yeah, he said, I'll do it right around the back of the house where no one can see. Now, in hindsight, I understand why the other kids are playing football. He was looking out for me, can I Alex?
Speaker 3: Alex?
Speaker 1: A lot of your A lot of your friends like mates with magpies.
Speaker 7: I love magpies, and I love any bird pretty much.
Speaker 4: Oh, hang on, are your friends aren't friends with magpies? Your friends are the magpies.
Speaker 6: My friends are the magpie your next level, Allie.
Speaker 7: They visit me at my home, they come into my backyard. I've sat with them in the city and had lunch with them.
Speaker 6: In the city. Do they follow your car?
Speaker 1: You might, Naomi, what's in that movie you know with the magpie the birds.
Speaker 4: That gave me nightmares? That's I think I just got at school. I think that's why I'm still scared of birds.
Speaker 1: Alex, Can you just give us an example of how you would talk to your friends?
Speaker 7: Well, first, I would get excited, So have a.
Speaker 5: Now, mister magnet big boy today.
Speaker 1: Where does the conversation go from there?
Speaker 7: They don't usually brist.
Speaker 4: And when you say you're in the light. Sometimes you have lunch with them in the city. So are you like letting them have a nibble of your salami sandwich?
Speaker 2: Or of course?
Speaker 1: I think I've seen people like you in the city.
Speaker 6: I love, Alex. I love. I don't like birds, but I like bird.
Speaker 1: People well, and they like birds.
Speaker 4: I just like Melbourne so much, I know, isn't it that was so different people in this the bird chatters, and I like the bird chatters.
Speaker 6: But they are a unique type, aren't they. They all talk baby to the birds.
Speaker 1: We'll take anyone.
Speaker 6: No, right, you're a bird guy, you.
Speaker 1: Why not talking to them?
Speaker 3: Why are you distancing yourself from the birds?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Look at the people were just go on exactly.
Speaker 4: Jason Lauren Jason Lauren Wake Up feeling Good on Nomber one hundred.
Speaker 5: Jason Lauren on socials,