Speaker 1: This is Business Now with Edward Boyd.
Speaker 2: Hi and welcome to Business Now. Thanks for your company today. I'm Edward Boyd coming up on the program. The Fair Work Commission has granted millions of workers one of the largest above inflation pay increases. Ever at three and a half percent, Unions wanted more, business groups wanted less. AI Chief executive inn As Willis is up shortly. The GDP partials release today paint a subdued picture for Australia's economic growth in the first quarter, which included all that trade and tariff uncertainty. Economist Stephen haw Marrek will explain the details. Plus International Student Placement Company IDP Education shares were absolutely hammered today after warning its profit might be cut in half due to changing immigration policies in its major markets.
Speaker 1: All that and more on today's show.
Speaker 2: Other stories today you shouldn't about the Corporate Regulator As six crackdown on financial comparison websites continues as it launched federal court proceedings against the popular site choosey Assek alleges Choosey made false and misleading representations to customers by claiming it compares products from a range of funeral and life insurers, but it alleges Choosey only compared products from a single insurance company with one exception, and that all products were distributed by Greenstone Financial Services, which is associated with Choosey. Assex says, from July one, twenty nineteen, more than four thousand funeral policies and almost nine and a half thousand life insurance policies were sold. It says Choosey received sixty one million dollars in commissions. Today we check the Choosey comparison site for life insurance and its terms and conditions show products continue to be distributed by Greenstone, for which it will receive commission. Life insurance comparisons seem to be now limited to four insurers, Assex move follows recent actions against other loan and insurance comparison groups, including Snaffle RESIMAC and Hollard Insurance. The Fairwak Commission has awarded roughly two point six million award and minimum wage workers a pay rise of three and a half percent, one of the largest above inflation increases on record.
Speaker 1: From the first July.
Speaker 2: The minimum wage will be lifted to twenty four dollars ninety five per hour, roughly nine hundred and forty eight dollars per week inflations currently tracking at an annually to two point four percent, which means that these workers in real terms, have.
Speaker 1: Received a pay rise of about one point one percent.
Speaker 2: This comes after several years where wages and real terms were going backwards. The Farework Commission's president said if Australia's workforce were more productive, then the pay increase would have been higher.
Speaker 3: Australia's continuing poor performance in labor productivity growth has operated as a restraining factor on the size of the increase. We have determined certainly the productivity problem which Australia faces will not be resolved by indefinite continuation of the reduction in real wages which has occurred over the last four years.
Speaker 2: Business groups were hoping for a pay rise of about two and a half percent, while the unions were aiming for about four and a half. He's the leader of the ACTU, selling MacManus Welcoming the decision.
Speaker 4: The Fair Work Commission accepted the arguments made by unions that it was time for low wage workers award workers to start catching up for what was lost during the inflation spike, So three point five percent means they're starting to catch up again and that makes an enormous amount of difference in terms of people's bills, people's ability to pay for the basics.
Speaker 2: Well, joining me now for the business reaction is in is Willi's, Chief executive of Australian Industry Group. It is thanks so much for your time. Wages up three and a half percent. Will employers be able to sustainably cover these increased costs?
Speaker 5: Hi Edward, Well, the short answer is for many of them know it's above where inflation is at at the moment quite substantially. We argued for two point six and the Commission came in about halfway between where we were in the union. So there's an element of catch up here. And what the Commission has really said when you delve into its findings is that it is now pretty much finished the catch up, the catch up that it said whatever that meant from times earlier. So now we would say going forward, where inflation is at, where CPI is at, is where the Fair Work Commission should be aiming at. It's also sort of contorted itself today over productivity and Australia's amnemic productivity, multi factor productivity in the market sector went up last year zero point zero seven percent, which is virtually nothing. So we're seeing really no productivity of any sort of importance around our economy at the moment. But the Commission decided to excise a healthcare and the mining sector from any calculations around productivity, which is a quarter of the economy, to try to create the circumstances where it can justify an increase. What it means for business is, as you said, about two point six million employees get that increase. What that means is that means there's less money for investment in the business. It probably starts to mean that again once again, jobs have to be considered and the future of businesses have to be considered, particularly at the smaller business end, retail, hospitality, accommodation, manufacturing, those sort of sectors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these numbers obviously directly affect two point six million roughly Aussies, but just explain why they have wider implications for the jobs market and for enterprise bargaining as well.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, so this now becomes the flaw or the talking point now that unions will push and employers will have to look at in terms of broader enterprise bargaineering agreements as they come up through this year. Of course, enterprise bargaineer agreements last for usually around three years, so a third of those will come up this year, and that three point five percent figure will be the number that everyone will look at. So it does have real flow on effects for the broader economy, well beyond those who are on the minimum wage or minimum award classifications. It becomes the central sort of talking point when it comes to future wage negotiation. So again that is above where inflation is added, is above where a lot of business can businesses can sustainably afford to increase wages. That's the difficulty of today's decision. We would have preferred it was slightly less, So I think if you took a book between unions, government and employers, we would have all said, you know, they would have probably come in at about three point two five percent. So this is probably on the high side. That's the worrying thing, without much justification around productivity which everyone is now talking about.
Speaker 2: And of course the other costs that businesses will need to wear from the first of July is that increase in superannuation. So could this possibly result in a further drop in private investment, and we know GDP growth is pretty weak at the moment.
Speaker 5: Well, of course this doesn't include the superannuation guarantee which goes up again on July the first by half percent. Employers have to fund that that money doesn't come out of thin air, just as this wage increased for a lot of employers doesn't come out of thin air, So employees are going to have to factor that in. So it obviously has an impact around what businesses can do to improve their businesses investments in businesses, be it in planned equipment, machinery, or people. It has a big knock on effect.
Speaker 1: And you saw the.
Speaker 5: Data today around sale, around wages, around profits, none of which we're good for GDP. It's led to a revising down of estimates around tomorrow's GDP numbers. So we're going to see continued weak growth. So we've got different elements of the economy and economic leavers pushing against each other. And while wages remain quite clearly above where CPI inflation is at, it makes it very hard for theess for businesses to become more productive, and that's what we need to allow for sustainable wage increases. So it's a little bit nonsensical if I can put it that way in economic terms, to keep pushing wage increases up beyond where the economy can really sustain them in the current economic environment we have.
Speaker 2: And the big problem you've mentioned it briefly here that the Fairweb president said today was the weak level of productivity growth in our economy. The RVA governor's spoken about it as well, and so is the treasurer.
Speaker 1: How do we get productivity back contrac.
Speaker 5: Well, First of all, we have to stop making policies and implementing policies which are anti productivity and forcing upon business's outcomes which are anti productivity. Businesses now is less and less being able to focus on the business and more and more on compliance.
Speaker 1: We have a tax regime.
Speaker 5: Which is not competitive. We have real concerns around skills and training which we have to address. We have to make the settings for business and the enablers for business much more competitive and productivity focused. At the moment, we're sort of holding ourselves back and we see that in the outcomes, and that's why our conversations are more and more unfortunately edward, around how we are managing a decline in living standards and business investment and prosperity.
Speaker 2: It is well, Loox, thanks so much for coming on the show. Appreciate it. Take care, Edward.
Speaker 1: Thanks thanks.
Speaker 2: Look, the GDP partials released today by the ABS paint a pretty somber picture of our economy during the first three months of this year. Public demand and public investment well lower than expected. It's probably going to result in a weaker than expected quarter. It joined me now with Stephen hal Maarek the principle at Economics unchained.
Speaker 1: Stephen, thanks for your time.
Speaker 2: We've just seen CBA and NAB have sort of downgraded their forecasts for the first quarter, expecting it to be pretty weak economically.
Speaker 6: Yeah, unfortunately, it looks like the first quarter of GDP numbers are going to be pretty soft, maybe aroundzero point three percent point two point three percent for the quarter. That's slower than the fourth quarter of last year, which was point six So, you know, continues this very subdued economic environment that we've had for a number of years now. Perhaps more importantly, the GDP per capita number is likely to fall again. So we've seen this big decline in GDP per capita over the last two or two or two or so years, so an environment where economic growth continues to be pretty modest.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously these are backwards looking numbers GDP from the first three months this year, But do you think this quarter is faring any better than the previous one.
Speaker 6: Well, the big change, of course, is the Viserve Bank start cutting interest rate. So I have started cutting rates. So we had the first rate cut in February. Now that's unlife gets who affected the first quarter GDP numbers that come out tomorrow already had the second cut, and we expect them, well, I expect them more cuts in the months ahead. So those interest rate cuts are going to be a really important part of seeing a bit of acceleration and economic growth this year. The annual growth rate in the March quarter is probably going to be around about one and a quarter percent. We expected to be closer to two percent at the end of the year, but that will rely very heavily on the RBA continuing to ease mounty policy.
Speaker 2: Well, we got the RBA minutes from the everycent Board meeting today and they actually talked about cutting rates by fifty basis points. I mean, how many more rate cuts are you expecting We've.
Speaker 1: Got on next meetings? On the eighth of July.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so in the press conference, Michell Bullock, the RBA governor, did say that they talked about cutting by fifty and you know, that took the markets a little bit by surprise, and they really did reinforce, certainly in my mind, that there's more rate cuts coming. So we've actually got five more RBA Board meetings this calendar year, and I think we'll see rate cuts in three of those five meetings, So twenty five points in each of those meetings. That'll take us down to three point one percent by the end of the year on the cash rate. And I think we could describe that as a neutral monetary policy setting. So we know, with economic growth, soft inflation in the target zone and global economic uncertainty doing nothing but going up, I don't think there's a need for restrictive policy. So a neutral policy setting makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Well, look, this week in partnership in Macro UNI, you've released a business Outlook scenario survey asking businesses about the impact of tariffs what if you found out?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so this is a survey conducted by MCCRARIRR University and I'm helping them a bit with that surveys five hundred companies. I'm not just what they think is going to happen, but some of the scenario around the outlook. So not surprisingly, trade exposed companies in Australia are already seeing a bit of an effect from the tariff war, if we can call it that. This was data from May, so internationally trade exposed companies are seeing that effect. Interestingly, they've seen an increase in their costs, but they also saw an increase in sales in the month of May, so I think that might have been a bit of a bring forward of activity before the tariffs really settled in. Of course, they were announced in April, then there was the pause and then you know, things were brought forward in the month of May, so increased uncertainty being a bit of bring forward of activity. But that volatility is not a conducive environment for a big increase in business investment.
Speaker 2: Inflation's now at two point four percent. How worried a business is still about inflationy pressures?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so Interestingly, over the last year or so, inflation, well a year or so ago, inflation was by far the biggest worry for businesses in Australia, and now that's come down and in fact being overtaken by global geopolitical worries as the biggest concern for Australian businesses. And I think we all know the reasons for that. So certainly inflation moderating declining as the biggest concern for businesses, and that really helped, I think supports the posture for the RBA to be able to get into straights down a bit further.
Speaker 1: So inflation not as big a deal now as it was in the past.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, and that's reflective in the actual inflation numbers and the trend for inflation. The outlook continues to look pretty good. The Reserve Bank themself is targeting inflation pretty much banging in the middle of the target range for the next two years.
Speaker 1: Stephen Helmerrick, Principal Economics, unchained. Thanks for your time, pleasure, I thank you.
Speaker 2: After the break, global student placement company IDP Education has been crunched after a massive prospit downgrade. Markets analyst Michael McCarthy is up next. Welcome back. Let's see how the market's finished up for the day ASX two hundred. It lifted at the open this morning, surging to a three and a half month high. Most sectors were in the green, led by the banks, ASX two hundred finished the day up points six to three percent, so pretty strong. Top performers included TAB Corp, the gold sector, fuel refiner and retailer Viv Energy plus the defense company Hostel and the airline Quantus up almost two percent. Losing value included IDP Education down forty eight percent, Agribiza's Elders, Diversified Minor MinRes, health company Klinevel and Domino's Pizza. Lizmore's ability to withstand future flood events is being examined in detail. A major report from the CSIRO is due to be released at the end of this month. The new South Wales Recovery Minister and Member for Lismoud, Janelle Saffan, says the study will help shape flood mitigation in the region.
Speaker 7: Really hugely important. Do you know we're waiting with bited breath. We have the Community Leaders Forum, the seven mayors for state MPs to federal MPs, the Regional Land Council, Business Chamber. You know, we're a community Leaders Forum and we're waiting with baited breath for that end of June. We're in touch with CSIRO. They said it's on track. Then we'll have the discussion about the options they put to us, the scenarios. We'll work through it, and then of course we have to seek funding for that.
Speaker 2: Five people died and thousands of homes and businesses were damaged across the region. In February and March twenty twenty two, intense rainfall led to flood levels more than two meters above the one in one hundred year flood level. Well, let's get back to that market's theme here with Michael McCarthy, chief executive of Moomour Australia. Michael, thanks for your time. Let's start with IDP education. It's just been absolutely hammered today. Business is really being damaged by changes to immigration policies in places like in the US.
Speaker 8: Absolutely. The share price came today down forty eight percent and the hits just keep coming for this stock. We know that immigration policy has been shifting around the globe for a couple of years at least now, and while once immigration was viewed as a good source of economic growth and potential workplace skills, the reality is that the whole world is turning its back and while Canada and Australia, having faced for lections, have now implemented new policies around student immigrants. The UK has have published a white paper on immigration that is clearly flagging changes for their immigration policy. And of course we've got Harvard taking on the White House in the US. So with all of that disruption to the international student scene, the hits for IDP have been horrible. Now today it guided the market lower. So far analysts had already slashed their earnings estimates for this year's by twenty five percent. The company outed another twenty five percent, harving their estimate for this full year. Of course, the market reaction was immediate. This closing price today at three dollars eighty eight, is one tenth of the peak price. And this company, which at the post pandemic peak was worth ten billion dollars today is worth just one billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Really tough day for them. But look what about some good news. The price of gold just seems to be getting better and better.
Speaker 1: What's driving those gains? Well, it's all.
Speaker 8: About the US dollar, and there are two factors driving the canes. First of all, being priced in the US dollars a week a US dollar is good news for gold bugs. But the reality is that the glosses come off the US dollar and there are concerns for the outlook and the once very safe haven status of the US has been tarnished, and that's been one of the reasons why we're seeing gold making another push towards all time highs. This is the third time we've seen gold trade above thirty four hundred US dollars this year, and we have seen one peak over thirty five hundred dollars. The strength we saw in gold markets today and that ongoing weakness in the US dollar suggests we could another test of that all time high.
Speaker 2: And look the overall ASX two hundred, it's closing back in on the all time high as it's set in February. Do you think we're going to reset some records within the next few weeks.
Speaker 8: Well, once again, it's sure looking like it a solid game today, but nothing too spectacular and nothing that points to instability in the market. It was just good growth in the index across the board today. The gains and the end up another fifty points take us to within two percent of the all time high for the Australian market. It's an extraordinary development given the newsflow. We've seen four investors over the course of this year so far.
Speaker 2: And what about some commodities like oil and copper seeming to defy the bond vigilantes absolutely well.
Speaker 8: Bond markets are still very much flashing signals read and real concerns about the short term growth outlook and the potential for inflation to derail some future plans. So bond markets still sending warning signals, but copper and oil, those key industrial inputs are just shrugging it off. Copper heading high are again today after a bit of weakness, Oil markets adding to gains they've the previous two sessions, and both of these key industrial inputs are pointing to growth scenarios for the global economy in contrast to what we're hearing from those bond vigilantes.
Speaker 1: So overall, pretty good day for stocks today, Michael.
Speaker 8: An amazingly good day given the news that.
Speaker 1: We've seen ed. Thanks Michael, thanks for your time. Thank you.
Speaker 2: To finish up today, money laundering regulator OSTRAK is cracking down on cryptocurrency ATM providers after Australians lost more than three million dollars to crypto ATM scams in twenty twenty four now. These ATMs allow customers to use cash to buy cryptocurrency such as bitcoin and ethereum. Ostrak says they're boomed in popularity. In twenty nineteen, there were just twenty three. Now there are more than eighteen hundred. And the crazy thing is the demographic that uses them. More than seventy percent are over fifty years old, with sixty to seventy year olds alone accounting for twenty nine percent of all transactions. Track and the Australian Federal Police say these older users are often the victims of investment scams, romance scams and extortion emails. Ostrak has also refused to renew the registration of South Australian based ATM operator Harrow's Empires. See of Oztrak, Brennan Thomas said this action draws a clear line in the sand and serves as a warning to other digital currency exchange providers that aren't meeting their responsibilities under the aml CTF act now. The director of Harrow's Empires, Michael Harrison, told us Ostrak's decision has been devastating.
Speaker 1: We'll never formally told.
Speaker 2: Our machines were linked to criminal use, nor were we given a fair chance to address any final concerns before being shut down. The constant pressure and scrutiny from Olstrak took a serious toll. I've lost my life savings, my future plans, and I separated from my partner largely due to the stress this fight placed on our family. Under the new operating conditions, CRYPTOATM providers now have a five thousand dollars limit on cash deposits and withdrawals, enhance customer due diligence obligations, mandatory scam warnings, and better transaction monitoring. Wealth Track's also encouraging digital currency exchange platforms to consider five thousand dollars cash limits, something they aren't required to do at the moment. Swift x CEO Jason Tipman said, at the moment, cryptoatms don't offer enough protection and it means Australians who use them are vulnerable to scammers. That's all for today's program. Business now returns tomorrow at four point thirty. Thanks for your company today.
Speaker 1: We'll see you then.