Speaker 1: If you're at a point with your health where you want answers, answers to your low energy, answers to that stubborn weight that won't shift, then I've got the solution for you. I've partnered with the most amazing integrative GP to bring you Inner Vitality, a brand new online program that uses over fifty bio markers to give you an accurate picture of your unique biochemistry and any imbalances. Then, over eight weeks, we educate you on these markers and implement the small but powerful changes needed to restore your internal balance. Visit the link in the show notes to find out more. This is Healthy Heer with Amelia Phillips and welcome to one of my mini motivation episodes.
Speaker 2: These are shorter episodes.
Speaker 1: Where we tackle one specific issue and give you really actionable, practical advice on how to overcome it. Today, NLP Master Practitioner Judy King and I are talking about how to make behavior change stick.
Speaker 2: We might know what we need to do.
Speaker 1: But how do we change our behavior in a way that makes it stick. Take a listen to our conversation. Judy, I'm fascinated by.
Speaker 2: The world of behavior change.
Speaker 1: I see it every day in the work that I do, where that's often where people become stuck actually making that change. So let's say we've finally worked out what we want to be doing to improve our lives, and this could be just a health habit change, or it could be around self belief, or it could be something big, like a career change. But it's the doing of that habit where things often become unstuck. You know, changing behaviors is really really hard. Is this something that you work on with your clients? This concept of behavior change.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm obsessed with it.
Speaker 1: Do you see it too? Do you see how hard behavior change can be? Like, all right, I'm going to do this thing. I'm going to train for this marathon or go and start these interviews or whatever. But then the next week you're like, oh, I haven't done it totally.
Speaker 3: And I think one of the most important first steps is to acknowledge is this like a true desire or is it an egoic desire.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. I used to say that with marathon because I used to do a lot of marathon running that was a coach, and I'd have people come to me, I really want to do London marathon. I just it's like my bucket list thing and I'm like, okay, but do you want to be running one hundred kilometers a week? Because you know, with the goal time that you have and the training program, you're going to have to be running five or six days a week and you're going to have to be doing thirty k's on one day and twenty k's on another day. And then that's when it's like, oh, actually, I don't think I can fit that in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because we see, you know, other people doing things, then we think I want to do that, But actually do you do you really?
Speaker 1: And look, just as a side not you don't actually have to run one hundred ks a week to do the London Marathon. If you want to do it in a time that's faster than three and a half hours, then yeah, you probably do need to get up there. But if you just want to plot along, don't let my hundred ks slow you down. Judy just talk us through the process of making behavior change stick.
Speaker 3: So it's really important that we, like I said, we firstly, it is a true desire. It is something that's coming from us. It's something that we're not making because is what we should do or what other people expect us to do, or because it kind of looks good and feels like it might make me feel important. You know, there's those elements and so kind of that understanding and breaking that down first and getting really boldly honest with yourself is the first step. The next is why does it matter to you? So the more that we can understand that piece and build a deeper connection because that why it matters, that thing of why it matters to you is vital is a big piece in business as well, and even as a mum, you know, being wanting to be a role model for our kids, right like why does that matter to you? So the more we can bring it back to ourselves and really anchor in that reason, that is going to support us in those moments when we're like, h, I can't be bothered. Oh this just feels too hard.
Speaker 1: I one hundred percent agree with you on this one, like really connecting with your why. But funnily enough, it can be a hard thing to do. And I'm going to use two examples because I feel like today we're talking about behavior change your business and I'm health So let me give two examples. Let me give the you know, like I need to lose some weight example, and this idea of okay, well what's your big why? Well, I want to fit into my skinny jeans or I just feel yucky or whatever. Like that's not going to cut it. No, it needs to be even deeper than that. Absolutely, But I think a lot of us we skim over that, like we're just like, oh, pheel blah blah blah. But your example there of being a great role model or for me, and I don't know if it's because I'm in my forties now and I'm starting to get a little bit older and looking at my next fifty years and thinking about being a grandma, and I'm thinking I want to be one of those cool grunny is it's like at the playground with my grandkids and you know, taking them to Paris on a like unforgettable you know, three generation holiday with my daughter and my granddaughter. So I get that now because I've kind of been working on that in health. Can you give me a business like for example, the business example that's coming up for me is, oh, I got to be successful at business because IVE got to make a lot of money Yeah, like I want to be a million dollar coach or something like that is a very common one. But to me, is that a bit like the skinna jeans one? Is it a bit like that's not actually what's the why that sits underneath that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's what we want to chunk down into freedom. A lot of times it's freedom, but then it's like what is that freedom going to bring me?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Why do I want that freedom so much? And how is that going to make me feel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an interesting one, isn't it tapping into that deep why and then be able to access the deep why really quickly at five point thirty in the morning when the alarm goes off, or after a really horrible business phone call where you just got rejected for the fiftieth time. How do we have that deep y on taps so that we can give us the impetus to keep going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question.
Speaker 3: And I think the first piece is around the standards that we're setting. Is a lot around the mindset and the boundaries that we're also able to communicate that support that standard that we're setting for ourselves. So if we're happy to just be on autopilot, and just kind of go through life and to ultimately not take any responsibility for our choices and allow ourselves to run our old behaviors. Then our standards that we've set for ourselves aren't actually in alignment with ourselves. So I really encourage every woman to raise the standards for themselves and look at themselves as ultimately the CEO of their life, the one who gets to own it, take responsibility for it. If we could play a game with it too and make it fun and go, Okay, who do I need to be being to actually be that woman? What does that look like, what does that feel like? How can I make this fun? How can I play with this? And then what are the boundaries that I need to communicate, whether that be you know and from a really healthy place, the communication that needs to happen Sometimes that's to have in our partner to stay home in the morning while we go out and do yoga or plarties so that we have that time to ourselves and that that's just a rhythm and a routine.
Speaker 2: But we need to ask for the support.
Speaker 1: If you're at a point with your health where you want answers, answers to your low energy answers to that stubborn weight that won't shift. Then I've got the solution for you. I have partnered with the most amazing integrative GP to bring you Inner Vitality. It's a brand new online program that uses over fifty buiomarkers to give you an accurate picture of your unique biochemistry and the insufficiencies, deficiencies, or out of range markers that might be holding you back. We look at all aspects of your health, from your metabolic health to hormones, vitamins, minerals, liver, kidney, thyroid function, and more. Then over the eight weeks as a group, we educate you on these markers and implement the small but powerful changes needed to restore your internal balance and bring back your vitality. Visit the link in the show notes to find out more. It's funny I have this exercise that I get my members to do on my Inner Vitality program, which is your worthy idols, and I ask them to pick someone in your current decade who's in that age bracket worthy idol, and then the next decade and the decade after that, and I always do like a mood board on the program of all the different faces that they've popped up there, and you know, Jane Fonder and Hillary Clinton comes in there sometimes and Jane goodall just incredible people. And I love this idea of then you've got that really instant, Well, what would Jennifer Aniston do in this situation or what would you know Wendy McCarthy, who's one of my amazing worthy idols, and I've got an interview with her on my podcast. She's incredible, and I feel like that can anchor you into that and she'd be like, well, Wendy would tell her husband, I've got Pilate's booked at six am, you deal with the kids.
Speaker 2: I'm headed off there, and so I want to just wrap up with because we're talking.
Speaker 1: About behavior change and we're talking about this idea of making a habit stick. I've heard you talk about the one thing. So how can people best integrate that one thing into their daily lives and make it a sustainable change?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I think, like anything, it's again about starting small and not feeling like we need to make all the changes all at the same time, right, So if we can really install this one thing. So for me, when I was redeveloping my relationship with fitness, with movement. I was really strong uggling with finding the one thing in terms of my exercise that felt really good for me. And finally I found it with reformer pilates. And initially it was really difficult for me to commit to that and be consistent, but I've found the thing. So that was through trial and error. I then decided that this is the one thing that I'm going to commit to and I'm going to get this into my everyday way of being, that it's something that I just wake up and do. I don't even need to think about it, I just do it. And so consistency obviously the internal dialogue of reminding ourselves that you know, this is the decision that I made, and this is the commitment to myself and that standard that I have that to be in integrity is actually to be in integrity with myself and that is a really important value to me. So through that discipline and through that commitment of you know what, just there's one thing. I'm just going to start on this one thing and eventually then I'll get to the other things, right, but I need to just get this in as my way of being and do that. Three or four times a week. The other day, I went to class at six thirty in the morning and I'd booked the seven thirty, and she's like, oh, Judy, I've changed you to the six thirty because you were actually booked at them there.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, weird.
Speaker 1: See, because once something's that ingrained habit, it takes so much less effort to do it. And I absolutely love this, and I hope you guys listening it's really landing with you this concept of one thing instead of the complete overhaul, because I have seen it time and time again, where the thought of overhauling career or fitness or whatever it is just feels really overwhelming. Whereas if you're like, no, actually, what is the one thing I need to be doing and maybe doing on a regular basis, And if it's a career change, it might be booking a course to see someone like you, Judy, or it could be you know, listing out the ten best companies I want to work for or what you know, it's just breaking it into that one thing then and then getting that one thing into your daily life in whatever way, shape or form it needs to be. I just love because we can all do one thing can't We Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: And it's just about teaching the body that this is the new way, right. It's that rhythm, it's that in every cell of the body. My body knows it's you know, it's time to get up and go and just do the thing. I don't think about it, And that's behavior. Why do we do the things that we do, is because we've done it enough times that the body just knows what to do unconsciously.
Speaker 1: Can I just say one other amazing little hack you can pop on the back of your one thing is to celebrate it when you do it absolutely And there's all this research around positive reinforcement and it actually cementing down a habit. And so I do this and I look like an idiot if I do like one really challenging work, Like I've got this thing called Tomato timer, which is basically I have to sit and focus. I set the tomato timer for twenty minutes. I'm the allowed to be up my phone, I'm the allowed to answer an email. I just got to do whatever my deep focus work is. And at the end of my that's my one thing because I'm trying to be more productive. And do you know what I do at the end is I do a little happy dance, and I like, and I like sit there and do a happy dance, and I play one of my favorite new songs. And it's amazing how much just a little mini celebration works. It might be grabbing a coffee at your favorite coffee shop, or after your pilates class or whatever.
Speaker 2: So do your one.
Speaker 1: Thing, but then spend a couple of minutes rewarding yourself, celebrating after you've done it, and the one thing starts to feel a lot more positive.
Speaker 2: And it's meant the habit, it really anchors it in. It's the best, the best. I love it.
Speaker 1: Judy King, thank you so much, Thank you, thanks for listening to Healthy Hair. If you're at a point with your health where you want answers, answers to your low energy, answers to that stubborn weight that won't shift, then I've got the solution for you. I have partnered with the most amazing integrative GP to bring you Inner Vitality, a brand new online program that uses over fifty buyer markers to give you an accurate picture of your unique biochemistry and any imbalances. Then, over eight weeks we educate you on these markers and implement the small but powerful changes needed to restore your internal balance. Visit the link in the show notes to find out more.