Speaker 1: Apogee Production. Welcome to the Sheep Risers Podcast. I'm Ashley and I'm Tiana. This podcast is about female empowerment.
Speaker 2: And encouraging you to be your biggest, boldest, and most authentic version of yourself.
Speaker 1: We'd help you shed the shame, grow to a new level. We're gonna laugh, cry, and talk about the topics everyone else is too afraid to talk about.
Speaker 2: Get ready for your next level of self.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. We're just gonna go point that I've got down, a point that you've got down, and just nut out how we sustain and maintain a really healthy lifestyle to not only like look our best, but feel my best as well.
Speaker 2: What you were saying before is very important as well. It's not about the quick fixes or how hard you can go in a short amount of time. It really is the longevity of it, because it doesn't matter what you do. If you're doing something only for a short period of time, for an intensity of four weeks, we can't sustain it long term. Like it's never going to be something that feels easy to stick to. When it comes to health, you really do need it to feel like it's something that's easy to sustain. Yeah, especially for the long haul one hundred percent. And I'm all for discipline, but I also do think that you don't have to be as disciplined when you actually enjoy what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you actually want to do it. Yeah, it's not something you have to be like, Oh, I've got to be disciplined and eat this food. I've got to be disciplined and go to that class. It's like, if you actually like what you're eating, it's much easier to just put that into your routine and that becomes your lifestyle, right, do you reckon?
Speaker 2: It's different as well when you're trying to create a new habit. You have to be more intense with the discipline in the beginning because you're trying to build the habit. Yes, But then after what you're saying is so true because you love it so much, it becomes so integrated. Yeah, but you're like, oh, like, I know that I'm not going to go back on my word and just not show up. You know, if I'm not being as disciplined now, it's just because maybe I'm being a little bit more lenient or a little bit more flaw I'm listening to my body. It's being a little bit more gentle on yourself. Love that, but the discipline is quite intense in the beginning. But then once you learn the habit, you don't rely on discipline as much. It's so true because you know you're integrated them.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's so cool. So cool, isn't it. I love having a set schedule in place. If it is not in my schedule and my timetable for the week, it's not happening. So I make sure that I book in my training sessions. I know what time I'm training, I know what I'm training, who I'm training with Akau, who's picking who up, who's making her coffee? But we haven't locked in, and that is a part of our routine now. We absolutely love it because we push each other. We get to yap, we get to catch up, we talk about the podcast. It's all about big dreams and goals. It takes so many things that just make us feel so happy. And we had a PT session last week and holy we were so sore and it made us go maybe our training sessions were a bit chill, and I had that fleeting moment of like, oh, I should be pushing harder. Then I was like, no, training just for me. It's so nice to just move my body, for us to hang out, for us to talk about the podcast like it really bills my cup, and then I go home to the kids and I'm in such a good energy state for the rest of the day. So awesome. So having structure and scheduled in when I'm going to do it and who I'm doing it with, I think for me has been an absolute game changer. So I was saying to the other day, when I first had Tala, I really couldn't get into an exercise routine. I do a session here, a session there. I was walking lots. But I had a thought of like, oh my gosh, maybe I've lost my love for training. Was that just a younger version of myself and now I'm not obsessed with fitness? And I was like, damn, I really liked that version of me. I wish I was obsessed. And then once I got into a routine with you and I started drinking my training again and feeling like I was making progress and pushing harder and feeling motivated. Just having that structure. So that's my first tip is just to have something booked in and an accountability buddy to make it fun.
Speaker 2: God, it really does make all the difference. I've always been someone who is like trained by myself for the most part, and then when we started training together, I was like, I've been missing out this whole time.
Speaker 1: It's boring by yourself. Now.
Speaker 2: I was like, i gotta want to go back now. I couldn't listened to anything on all.
Speaker 1: Yet with you. Yeah, and if we ever do train separately, like how's the session here, how's alright? Yeah? And push hard yeah, disordered? Yeah.
Speaker 2: So something for me that has been really helpful with health and fitness, it just overall life has been creating a set wake up time and it being consistent for the most part, every single day, because at least in my own journey, it's been really hard where I've had inconsistent times where I wake up because then I'm constantly going up and down, up and down, up and down. Whereas when we train, I wake up at four twenty four fifteen. So every single day that's the time frame that I wake up because when I do that, it's like my body knows this is when we're waking up. Even though I still use an alarm and all the things, but creating that level of structure, and that like non negotiable of me. Waking up early is almost my time before the world wakes up, you know. And I think when I was waking up at six seven eight o'clock years and years ago, I didn't feel like I had time to myself. I had to go straight into the day and then there was like no time for myself. Whereas even though we are together in the mornings, it still feels like we're getting time before the rest of the world wakes up to do the things that we value, spend time together, be awake, and then it's like then my day starts from there. Yeah, And it allows me to start my day in a really beautiful way. When I wake up at six o'clock or anytime later than that, I'm like, oh fuck, it feels like, you know, the whole day's gone, Like I've missed the whole morning schedule, because by now I would have been trained, ready, had breaky, all done and ready to go. So for me, this allows me to feel really accomplished before my day starts and allows me to really prioritize myself. Yeah, I think that's really important. So for anyone who's listening, who maybe doesn't feel like you have a set wake up time. It's really beneficial and you'll notice the difference in yourself even straight away from having done that, that you feel good in some kind of structure.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. I totally agree. Even when I don't have to get up at four twenty, my bodyclock naturally does. Like this morning, I was actually awake at four. I am ready to go. Yeah, it's like your body is used to that, and you do. You feel like so accomplished and organized. And even I get a lot of my emails done before my team wakes up because I feel like I've cleaned all that they're ready to go for the day, rather than getting in being flustered, than trying to get on top of everything really quickly. I love starting my day like that. Oh that's the best. The best. My next one is finding a way of eating that really suits you and that you really enjoy. I don't think there is a one size fits all, And I know a lot of fitness coaches and people in the health and fitness industry are so passionate about being a vegan or eating carnivore, or counting your calories and counting your macros and I didn't miss any of it. I think whatever someone chooses to follow is what feels right for them. It keeps them accountable and feels good for their body, good on them. For me, I like to eat an animal based diet at the moment ninety percent of the time. And I say that because however you eat, once again, you get to make your own rules. So like, I feel best when I eat a high protein meat based diet, but I still love protein powder because it helps me with my cravings of sweet I love clean trees, I love eating. I still have that flexibility in there. But I know, majority of the time for me to feel my best, it's filling my body with high protein and meat just makes me feel so energized. If that's not for you, Like, I've got a girlfriend that's vegan. She feels incredible off eating mostly fruit, and she looks amazing, She feels amazing, she sleeps amazing, her hormones are great. Like fuind what works for you and what you actually enjoy so that you can stick to it long term.
Speaker 2: How do you feel when you eat more animal based diet versus how you've eaten differently in the past, Like, what's the difference in your agy levels of mindset.
Speaker 1: I was never a massive bread, rice and past a person, but I always incorporated into my diet because I was just like, ate a bit of everything. Yeah, it was when I stopped eating it, I didn't realize how much more energy I got. And then I look back and I felt like in videos and photos I can see I was a little bit more inflamed, Like I just looked a little bit more puffy. Yeah, and my digestive system is way better eating like this. So you want to add more fats? Yes, yeah, so much better for my body. I can just notice within my body, within my energy, everything just feels better. And if I ever have bread now or pasta, I enjoy it, but not as much as what I used to, and I don't feel as good. The next day. I will literally feel more heavy and sluggish and it takes longer for my body to digest it. Yeah, So I'm like, why would I choose that when it makes me feel like that? Yes, that affects how I show up.
Speaker 2: So it's intuitively listening to your body and how your body is responding specifically to the food that you're eating.
Speaker 1: And the stake obsession started after I had my brain surgery, and I really truly believe it was because my body knew how much blood. Oh I was going to be losing on my period. Yeah, I've got it today. I've literally changed my undies three times. My period undies Like it's crazy, you guys would die and how much blood comes out. Like I'm surprised I'm not dizzy, but I think because they eat so much red meat. Yeah, my body knew what it needed to support me through this period by being on this blood thinners. So really yeah, intuitively listening to it feels good for you. And if you're not sure, it's trialing. Yeah, trial eating a certain way of what you think you would enjoy for a week and see how you feel. You might need to make a couple of little alterations. For example, like I used to love oats, but they never really felt good on my body. Yeah, but say LEVI, he feels so energized from them. Wow, everyone's body is just so different. Yeah. I know for Steve they feel so heavy on his time. He hates them.
Speaker 2: Even for me. Yeah, oats make my skin flare up, so like I get so rice.
Speaker 1: It's gluten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's the one thing that has like the most impact on my body.
Speaker 1: I just stay wasting. Yeah yeah. And after I had taraler All, I craved with oats and apparently it's really good for breastfeeding. Oh wow. Yeah, So I ate oats like in my postpartum period all the time, and then I went off them again. So I just intuitively, yeah, listen to what your body needs. Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Another thing for me I find to really help. And this isn't just in terms of fitness, but this is more like a mental health than anything. In order to keep my mind clear, I feel the best when i'm walking a minimum of three times a week, like a minimum, And I'm talking like if I'm walking six days a week, and maybe I give myself one day break even then on a Sunday, I'm like, I want to go for a walk because it makes me feel so much better day to day because for whatever reason, if I'm not getting enough sleep, like right now, you know, we've been doing a lot, right, so I sleep has been a little bit off and whatever. But if I'm making sure that i'm walking, it allows me to keep my mind so much more clear.
Speaker 1: My mind.
Speaker 2: I feel like I have clarity, I feel like my thoughts feel a little bit more organized.