Speaker 1: I'll get our team. Welcome to another installment of the Bloody You Project. It's Craig, Anthony Harper, Tiffany and Cook. It's the phrases. We'll get to them in a moment. But the world Traveler, the girl who's been globe trotting for the last couple of weeks and just neglecting Fatty Harps in the You projects selfishly all about her spiritual journey and her quest in far away lands. It's back kind tiff High Harps.
Speaker 2: You know my biggest regret. I don't know if I said a big enough goodbye because I'm different to the person who left and she's never coming back.
Speaker 1: Wow, what part of you have you left behind? This is good. This is a philosophical start.
Speaker 2: I left a lot behind.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We actually did a ritual where we burned what no longer served us in a ritual on the mountain. We left it on the mountain. Oh, I've got goosebumps as I say.
Speaker 1: That now without divulging, you know, any thing too personal, But fuck it, We're all families, so divulge away. And if you're uncomfortable sharing, still share because it makes for a good podcast. What tell us maybe one thing that you needed to let go of or stop doing or fucking ditch out of your emotional, bloody bag of tricks.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you too. I'll tell you two of the things that I that I wrote down that I let go on the mountain, and that was what Number one was shame and number two was the need for everybody else to believe in me. And I reckon they're too that have really had a lot of impact on me. It was quite crazy, you know, the moment just before I did it. I didn't plan this, but I I had a moment where I had gratitude for those things and whatever their purpose was up until the point of going, I don't need them anymore. So it was big goosebumps. There was lots of tears for everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, that's bloody amazing.
Speaker 2: And I brought some of the mountain back with me in my suitcase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw a bit of a post. I don't know that that's totally legal. I don't know that i'd be putting that on public display. I'm not sure that you're allowed to bring back organic material from the other side of the world. I'm no bloody you know, international whatever they are those blokes at those ladies at the airport. But anyway, you and I are going to have a big chat. We might do a whole episode and debrief your trip and talk about you know, breaking down and breaking through like breakups, breakdowns and breakthroughs, some of the best breaks of all time. So let me introduce our guests. So Jan and I and Fraser have been friends of mine for a very long time. Well, I won't do too much of an intro because you'll get to know them as we talk. But some of you already know them because one you we've got a lot of listeners that listen to this that actually personally know them. Two they've already been on the shows, but it was a very long time ago. I'll find out minute, maybe four or five years ago. But the rest of you are going to meet them now. So I'm really happy to welcome back to the podcast. We'll start with the chatty one, the super chatty one. We'll start with Jan because otherwise she'll talk over the top of Aean like the dominatrix that she is. Hello, Jenny, Dot's forget all.
Speaker 3: About me, because I'm far more interested in what Tiff has to say. I think that sounded wonderful, Tiff. I want to know what you're burnt, but I want to know in detail. You've got to do it.
Speaker 4: You want to do a podcast on that.
Speaker 1: Gosh, yeah, she does. Well it's like I've seen, isn't it interesting? Jenny? Hello, Hello, Ian. We'll say hello to you mate before we bet.
Speaker 5: I am here, I am here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we know you're here now. You two hit momentary fame the other day when we had coffee. Monday. We're recording this Monday? Was it last Monday? We did coffee Jenny Friday, Friday morning, Oh Friday, just gone, What the fuck do I know? So three days ago. By the way, this is a swearing podcast, so I feel free to open the swearing door. There is no swear jar. In fact, you have to put two bucks in and if you don't swear through the podcast, it's something of a different concept. But we met on Friday, that is correct, Friday morning. We had a coffee and I had a chat with you. If you don't follow me on Facebook, folks, where you can either follow me or momentarily follow me, go and have a look on my personal page. And there's already seven over seven thousand people that have had a bit of a squizz at Jan and E and having a chat to me over the bloody morning coffee table, and it was so interesting and I got I literally got emails and messages and dms from people going, you've got to get them on the show, and I went, well, they've already been on the show, but we'll get them back. What is it like to you, Jan, to think that seven thousand plus people listen to you to chat like, isn't it a weird age that we live in?
Speaker 4: To tell me about it?
Speaker 3: I can't believe it. I mean.
Speaker 4: I was a bit concerned that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Well, when I saw my sister.
Speaker 3: Later in the day, I said, look, we had coffee with Craig Harper and look we had she said, oh god, you're you're you know, you're a big sort of boring.
Speaker 4: Is that all you talked about?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 3: You go? I thought, you know, And then I got the text from you telling me, you know, six five of all I think it was only five thousand people at that stage had tuned into us, And I said, good grief, look at this goodness? So yes, isn't it a weird age within within within.
Speaker 1: Which we live, Jenny, when you grew up like you and you and Frase everyone I call ian phrase, But so if I if I forget to say, but you and Frase grew up like you went to school in the forties, right, the nineteen forties. Now we're in the two thousand and twenties.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying to throw you under the bus, but you're both old as fuck. I think that's not a state secret. Could you do you ever have imagined in when you guys were teenagers what was going on in the world that you would be like talking like even now to a bloke that you can see and hear on a computer. I mean, I could be in New York. I happened to be in Hampton. But how crazy is it that from where you came to what the world is now?
Speaker 3: I know, it really is quite unbelievable, isn't it. Like I don't know whether like it's just an example. Like I remember when my mother died and you know, I did the eulogy, and you know, we were talking about and I said, you know, she'd lived through the Depression, she'd lived through tours. Try to compare that now with well wars of course, But just the example of the technical of the technical age is technicological era in which we live.
Speaker 4: Like my friend Rosie lives in London.
Speaker 3: I'm talking to her face timed her the other night, like it's been chatting, like she's in the next doorhouse, so I know exactly what you're saying. It's extraordinary and I think, you know, I can actually see you and tip and you know, I think it's it is quite well.
Speaker 4: I'd like to.
Speaker 3: Think that I'm reasonably or literally say talk about blood its And then we struggle to get onto the podcast today, but generally we're all right, but put anything wrong, absolutely cletely stuffed, like I look at them and think, well that's it. I've got no idea. I've got no idea, And then Ian will say, well fuck, do I know you know that's what he usually says sometimes standard you know, so yes, extraordinary.
Speaker 1: What do you phrase? Can you tell us about? So you're eighty six, she said the day when we did our little video. So am I guessing you were born in like what nineteen thirty seven or eight or something?
Speaker 5: Thirty eight great nine thirty eight eight?
Speaker 1: Could you tell us a little bit about growing up in the late thirties and forties, Like, what do you remember from your childhood?
Speaker 6: Well, the first thing I can remember, you know, apart from being in a pusher, and I can remember that, you know, a parents taking us on the holidays. But my everlasting memory around that time, around the time of probably around nineteen forty two, forty one forty two, was when the war had started, and how my parents were billiting American marines. So we had all these Yanks, you know, staying in the house, sleeping on the floor and sleeping here and sleeping there. And the other thing I can remember is we had blackouts because I think the fear was that German planes were going to come over or Japanese planes are going to come over and vomits. So cars were driving around with their lights sort of didn't and blacked out. Now that's probably hard for young people today to sort of think back to that era, but they were my first memories. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, do you remember what school was like?
Speaker 1: Praise? Do you remember? Because you went to obviously school in the forties and fifties, and I know that grade three was the best four years of your life. But do you remember do you remember going to school and what that was like, because it's vastly different now.
Speaker 5: Absolutely yeah, I didn't. Really.
Speaker 6: I wasn't a good student, but I enjoyed going to school because going to school, I mean you met all your friends. You know, you could muck around and you can do this, and we did a lot of mucking around and gotten a lot of trouble.
Speaker 5: But I suppose in retrospect, I did enjoy.
Speaker 6: The school of years, even though you know, I left school a four year or a year.
Speaker 5: Alone, so I didn't go on there. I enjoyed it. I did.
Speaker 1: Were you an academic, Jenny, Were you a little bit more studious than your offsider?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Look, I might have been.
Speaker 3: I mean I grew up in an Irish Catholic family, and I went to a Catholic school and Catholic high school. I left school at when I was fifteen, going on sixteen, in year ten, which was then.
Speaker 4: Like Form four for me, because my father said.
Speaker 3: Well, girls don't need an education because they just get married. So you know that's good, so my must i've met. I always did feel that after a while a bit sort of left out, and that's how I went back to school.
Speaker 4: I went back to.
Speaker 3: School and did my VC when I was forty went to university, which was pretty terrific really for me then. I mean, you know, I didn't really aim to go to university. I just wanted to do Year twelve because I needed to sort of think I had that under my that I'm when I felt more confident. That sounds silly, it doesn't it, But honestly, it was the best thing I ever did.
Speaker 4: It was wonderful. I loved it.
Speaker 1: How old were you when you did Year twelve?
Speaker 3: Forty?
Speaker 1: That's amazing? And so did you go to school, like did you go and sit with a seventeen year old?
Speaker 4: Or I went to No?
Speaker 3: No, I went to adult education, right, and that was just a class with people like me. Yeah, and then a couple of us went on to university.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing. And what did you study at yunie?
Speaker 4: I had an arts degree. I did art.
Speaker 3: I majored in English and history.
Speaker 1: Well you've always been a performer and something of a thespian because you still do you still do voiceover work? Or no?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, very available? Anytime?
Speaker 3: Got me think?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Could you could you do a bit of an impromptu promo for the you project? Just anything that comes to mind, and then you know, just send me the bill.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I think there's one. Uh there was, Oh dear, there there was one of.
Speaker 4: I've got one coming on here, I think soon.
Speaker 3: And the bust of the mirror because the young man was wanting to buy a car or something.
Speaker 7: Mirror, mirror on the wall, you know what one? And I said, oh, dear, you know the room, the not the room, the verse. The verse needs work, dear, now what well you know, yes, I suppose you could do that.
Speaker 4: It was that sort of voice, like.
Speaker 3: So I do.
Speaker 4: I do find that if not putting.
Speaker 3: Myself in a home or doing aged care in some form or other.
Speaker 4: Characters.
Speaker 3: I've got quite a few good characters.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure you do. I'm sure you do. And when did you When was the first time you did anything on Telly on Australia? What was it?
Speaker 3: Nineteen sixty four?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I was one and I was one? And what did you do in it? What did you get? Tiff? Was just a thought, what did you do in nine n sixty four on television?
Speaker 3: I said, on in Melbourne tonight? Wow, Graham Kennedy is in Melbourne tonight, Yes, wow?
Speaker 1: And from first, if you wouldn't know this, but in Melbourne tonight was probably the biggest show in well definitely in Melbourne, in Victoria, and it was a what do they call it, Jenny, Do they call it a variety show?
Speaker 4: Yes, the variety Show.
Speaker 3: And it was live and it went on at nine thirty every night of Monday to Friday. And it was headed up by a wonderful fellow called Graham Kennedy who was just just brilliant, just brilliant. And you probably remember Bert Newton, would you remember that night? Yeah, well Bert just recently died. Well Bert was on that at the same time. So Bert and I were a similar age and we were well he'd started long before me because he used to do a lot of radio.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's where I started. Nineteen sixty four.
Speaker 3: I've got it, you know where it tells you. You know that that's how long you've been in love, you know, nineteen sixty.
Speaker 1: Four, So you've been you've been in entertainment, like professionally for this would be your sixtieth year, twenty twenty four. Yeah, do you remember the song that you sang?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I remember the very first song I sang was the trolley song. Judy Garland very much musical theater.
Speaker 1: Am I cheek enough to ask for just one or two lines?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: God, that's going a bit far in my high starched collar and my high topped boots and my hair piled high upon my head. There you go.
Speaker 1: I tell you what typ moment for me here? That is so fucking good. If there's our promo, there's our promo. I think we need a type song. I might have to write a song, and we might need to get Janders yes a phrase phrase. I want to know what was your first car and how much did you pay for it?
Speaker 6: First car was an MG at TC Wow. I wish I still had it. It was black green interior. It was a terrible thing to dry. Were the first MG sports car that was built straight after the Second World War, and they were sort of glued together with all sorts of bits and pieces, terrible breaks, terrible steering.
Speaker 5: They're worth of fortune.
Speaker 6: Now you know a good one you'll pay probably seventy eighty ninety grand for But that was my first car, and I.
Speaker 1: Remember you remember? Do you remember what you paid for it?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: I probably paid about I think it was two hundred and twenty pounds From.
Speaker 1: Memory was that second hand on you.
Speaker 6: That was secondhand, and that was when I was, when I just turned eighteen, So what's that thirty eight fifty six? And of course the cap breaking down. And in those days, you know, all kids like my age, we all had cars and they're all old bombs, but we all learned a lot about mechanics, you know, how to fix things, because if you didn't learn, you know, your car would break down and you couldn't fix anything. We're fucking around with carburettors and changing points in the distributor, and these days kids wouldn't know what points and carburettors even are, changing wheels and so you know, I had a lot of fun out of that car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure. And Jenny, do you remember, did you two? Was the first house that you owned once you'd gotten married, or did one of you buy property before he got Well? How old were you when you got married and when did you have your first When did you buy your first time?
Speaker 3: Well, it was in nineteen sixty seven and I was twenty seven, and we didn't buy a house until nineteen seventy three. So we lived in a flat up first of all, and then we had this weird idea that we were going to build a house, and we were going to build it in Mount Eliza, and Ian worked in.
Speaker 4: Where you Blackburn, and so.
Speaker 3: We thought, oh, look we'll rent in Mount Eliza to make sure that you know we're okay with it. Thank god we did.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: We didn't last very long in Mount Eliza and we sold it sold at the block and we bought a house then further into closer to town, into bo Morris.
Speaker 1: Wow, can I be rude? How much did you pay for your first house in nineteen seventy three?
Speaker 3: Forty thousand dollars?
Speaker 4: And I, yeah, I mech it.
Speaker 3: We've often talked about it, but I'm quite sert that interest rape when were seventeen percent?
Speaker 4: I was terrible, wasn't it?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 1: I remember I moved to Tazzy when I was five or six years old, son sixty eight, and Mum and Dad bought a house in Linda's Barn on what was then called Main Road. It's now called East Durwin Highway, I think. And this house, which overlooked the Derwent River, cost eleven thousand dollars and I thought, oh my, how rich are we that we can buy a house. I remember thinking I didn't really understand what even one thousand dollars meant, but that our house cost eleven thousand dollars, And I remember thinking, my Mum and dad, we must be rich because look at what we're buying. Is it like you think, what's that's a good dinner now? Eleven thousand dollars? Just a few people? Well, not really, but not far from it?
Speaker 5: Can I just interrupt there?
Speaker 6: With the living in Matalizer, we decided early on that we were going to buy a block of land and build, and we did. We bought a three quarter two thirds of an acre block, lovely block up at the top of the hill, got a house designs. Didn't like the designs, so I threw a friend designed the place for a house myself. Didn't all work out anyhow. I bought an old house because we decided we'd use old timbers on old bricks. I bought a house in Brighton. They were Reckon, which was made of old what they called black Hawthor bricks, which are those beautiful old brown black spots in them.
Speaker 5: See them around the customer.
Speaker 6: But a lot of the brick companies have tried to duplicate them. But the original ones are terrific. Anyhow, I bought all these blocks. I had about twenty thousand bricks, got them all moved down to a block a matallizer sat there. We decided that it was too far and we had to sell, so I had to get rid of the bricks.
Speaker 5: Didn't know what to do.
Speaker 6: I was down at Portsy one day valuing a customer's boat of the day, went for a bit of a drive, saw a block of land. Thought that's interesting. Bought the block, shifted all of bricks down there, and built a house in Portsy, which we had for thirty something years.
Speaker 3: How much you pay for that block?
Speaker 5: Then the block in Portsy? I think I paid. God, I can't remember.
Speaker 3: Jan isn't that interesting because it was wasn't much?
Speaker 6: No, it was about four four thousand.
Speaker 5: I think it's about four grand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 5: And we built this.
Speaker 6: I designed the house copy copying a lot of a friend's house, and I subcontracted the whole thing and used old timbers. We used the old timbers out of the jam factory. In my businesses, I had a Tony Wheel and was one of my clients and in the w record wheel in the wreckord and I said to Tony, I said, look, I'm looking for some big timber beams to use for the roof beams. He said, oh yeah, I'll get back to you, and I heard nothing. That about a month later he said, look, we just wreckon parts of the jam factory and we've got all these big eleven by four that's eleven inches by four inches beams. You better get your trailer and go there and grab them. So I did, and we used those in the house. I bought the roof of an old cat church in Richmond which had beautiful slate on it, and I got all that slate and got an old guy who was really an expert to lay it all on the floor. So the whole floor of the house it was. What I built was on a concrete slab and we used the slate to pay.
Speaker 5: The whole house was fantastic.
Speaker 6: So you know that that sort of all started at the Mountaalizer Adventure.
Speaker 1: That house a block of land in Portsy for four grand. That's the locket, like it depends where it is, but just a block of land is going to be a million bucks or more down there. I want you went there.
Speaker 5: I think you went there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I went there. I remember it was beautiful. All right, Let's let's fast forward a little bit. This is a dumb question, but it's not. It's kind of so. It's my birthday the other day and I turned sixty one, right, and I don't like for me. It feels so strange to say that, because you know, like this is another dumb thing. But I've only ever been me, so I've never felt what it's like to be anyone else, but like mentally, emotionally, physically, socially. I don't know what I thought I would feel like at sixty one, but I definitely I definitely don't feel my age right. And that's not ego or anything. I just don't know what I thought I would feel like at sixty one. But I still feel like my brain is the same as when I was forty, maybe even better. I still have great energy, I still train every day. I'm still excited about life. I'm still ambitious, I've still got purpose, I've got heaps of shit to look forward to. I'm grateful. What does it feel like? Let's start with you, Janny. What does it feel like to be in your eighties? Like, did you have any expectation, like do you. I know it's just a number, but it's allo. I'm more than that. It's a physiological reality of aging. How do you feel.
Speaker 3: Good? I mean I would say the same as you. I reckon, I'm just as good as I always was, you know, on the floor at Harper's there and bluff puff right, I reckon, I can still do it, do it.
Speaker 4: Although the knees creak.
Speaker 3: A bit, but that's that's nothing.
Speaker 4: No, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: It's I don't know that I would feel that I feel any different. I mean, I mean, I still, you know, love life. I'm still get excited. I'm still probably a bit ambitious and would love to do more voice. You know, they all look at her and you know, think god, you know, she's been around for so long. But then I never think about that, you know, I think, well I could have done that, you know.
Speaker 1: So I feel like you, yeah, do you Now? I just want to talk a little bit about the workout stuff, because obviously I'm me, and so everyone knows my background and everyone knows I'm kind of the exercise bloke. Call that's part of who I am. Anyway, and we did talk about it on the video the other day, but rays we spoke about the fact that let's talk about you. So you do when you can, you do when the weather's right. You do stand up paddle board twice a week. You do five and a half CA's stand up paddle board twice a week to the You ride your bike. You get out on your bike for about three quarters an hour several times a week, and you go to the gym and you split your body. You train up a body one day and lower body than next. Did I miss anything out.
Speaker 6: No, I think that's pretty much it, Craig, that's the exercise Rosime.
Speaker 1: And I remember in the old days, not even that, even when you're in your mid seventies. I remember one day you're doing lap pool down with nearly one hundred kilos and you were seventy four or seventy five and you were lifting almost one hundred kilos or maybe even one hundred. How much can you lap pull down these days? At eighty six?
Speaker 6: I was doing them yesterday. Actually, I think I was using about seventy that's seventy that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Can you still do chin ups?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeahs. Chune ups have always been my favorite. I can do I do twenty six chins. I do a dozen, then I have a wrist. I do eight, and I have a wrist, and then I can do another six.
Speaker 5: You do hang on, hang on, hang on now, I'm not kidding you.
Speaker 7: No, I know you don't think I've seen you a film of him doing them in the Danny Frawley gym.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, one of you when.
Speaker 3: I said, well, he's the old block of a eighty something he's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you got me covered. That's fucking embarrassing. I'm going to have to go to room of mirrors and have a good hard look at myself.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't have men it tif you better cut that better?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, let's just for my self esteem otherwise on that. Yeah, so you are still on your first set of chin ups? You do twelve, mate.
Speaker 6: I can do twelve it look to be honest. The last couple. You know, I struggle a bit. No, I don't get the bar of the chin. You know, probably get it to before we're head or something like that, but you know it is a chin.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was going to invite you in for a workout, but you can stay the fuck away with your twelve chins.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm struggling at the moment because I heard my shoulder. When I was screing in New Zealand back in August, I had a bit of a I've stuffed up my left shoulder, so I hadn't done chins and I just I thought yesterday I better.
Speaker 5: Have a bit of a try.
Speaker 6: So I got half a dozen out and it started to hurt a bit, so I thought I'd better stop.
Speaker 1: You might look after that. And also, when you're riding out on the road, are you riding a mountain bike, you're riding a road bike. What are you riding now?
Speaker 6: I ride a mountain bike, Craig. And you know, as I said, I don't go out for long. I said three quarts of earlier the day I was out for million hour a day.
Speaker 5: Actually, but.
Speaker 6: I haven't met up in the hills for a while. When I say we're a couple of mates and a son Jonathan, we're very keen mountain bike riders up in the hills.
Speaker 5: And in Melbourne you've got Listerfield Park, which is from here.
Speaker 6: It's only three quarters of an hour away and that's where they had the Commonwealth mountain Bike competition. So there's still a course there that they used, which is quite challenging. So you know, that's that's a real workout on the mountain bike up there.
Speaker 1: I can only imagine, and I will the imagine because I'm not going up there, Janny, can I tell you?
Speaker 6: Sorry Cratis, let me interrupt. One day I was talking to the crab Viking and he said, oh, i'd like to he'd be writing down at his property and I was talking abouts. I said, well, why don't you come up? And he came up with us and we rode around, and I must admit I did boot him on the hills. He was even struggling on some of those steep hills, which was embarrassing.
Speaker 5: Sorry interrupted, That is noted, that's fucking.
Speaker 1: He has told me that story with great humility and respect for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he told me, well, the crab, of course, everyone is my training partner, who is a was a world class professional bodybuilder, also quite fit, but not in the end Fraser category. Janny, we spoke about it the other day. But just tell my listeners who didn't hear, which would be most of them, what your exercise regime looks like these days? Please?
Speaker 3: Well, I do I do like to lift weights. So I always think that's very important in our lives, particularly as we get older. So I do that three times a week. I train with a friend one day and I go to the gym another two times. And I also I do a boxing still. I love to box with them step tives of box the two I love I love It, I love it and one about harvest trainers Silvio Knata. I still box with Silk and I don't run anymore, but I like to. I do do a lot of walking. And we've got a dog, so you know, Peg and I do a lot of walking together, and she's old enough now to do the rams and stairs with me, and we go a doun lucky to be near the beach, and of course it's a fabulous training ground, as you know, you know, doing a bit of sand walking, doing a bit of uphill on the ramps, and you know, getting your heart rate up. So that's that's a very important part of what I do as well. But so like and you know, I usually try to do something every day. I might have a day off, but you know, I've usually got usually do something every day.
Speaker 1: And what I haven't mentioned this episode anyway, is that a long, long time ago. You were a client at Harper's, coming in Harpers being my one of my gyms or my gym's back in the day, everyone.
Speaker 3: Budge of trainers and I love five dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah really with the day budget.
Speaker 4: Trainer five bucks.
Speaker 3: It was each of us.
Speaker 1: Yep, really, yes, yes, a good thing. I don't know if I knew that.
Speaker 4: You stopped us.
Speaker 3: I think we then we used to We used to start off in the gym do emb down in Hampton Street.
Speaker 4: Eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Are you talking about groups right? It was a group, yes, oh yeah group. Yeah, yeah, I'm thinking cheapest. But but at one stage I can't remember when you probably can better than me. But I think you and I had a conversation and you said something like I wish I was or if I was younger, I would have become a trainer, and you were in your fifties maybe at that stage. And then did I say, we'll go and get qualified and then you can work work with me. Did it go something like that?
Speaker 3: It went very similarly, yes, yes, yes, yes, And I came to you and said, look, I've done all the training now and I just wonder if you'd mind if I did my work experience here and that was in Bluff Road, and God, I loved it, loved it, loved it, loved your training, loved it the whole thing.
Speaker 4: The whole thing.
Speaker 3: I loved it all and never looked back. Really with great moved in at Then I became a trainer, a proper trainer. Then I had a client and said, do you think I can bring I've got a client. I've got a friend who'd liked to train. Is that all right if I bring her? And you said, yeah, yeah, that's fine, you bring her along.
Speaker 1: At what age did you start training people professionally at the first time.
Speaker 3: I was fifty Craig.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I thought you were a little bit older. But that's amazing. Still. So if you're out there and you're thinking I might become a trainer, I might become anything, and I might. You know, Jenny did Year twelve at forty, she did, she did UNI after that. She became a trainer in her fifties. And when did you stop training people? Because it wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 3: Well, only COVID stopped us all in our tracks, really, but i'd actually I was actually just training A few people are in their homes then so actually i'd actually sort of gone off from the gym floor, so I wasn't sort of training, And then I gave all my clients to a friend, and then I just the few that I could help at home. You know that's worked well, you know until you know COVID hitch and sort of stopped to fit things really didn't it well?
Speaker 1: I did put the brakes on a lot of things going on in the world I want to talk to you about. So in the health wellness space, now this is not new, but it's just becoming more known. I think like there's a lot more awareness around the idea of like when we used to talk about what makes people healthy, wo'd go, you know, good food, exercise, not too much booze, you know, a sleep, like, a good lifestyle, all that, And now we know that like social connection, belonging, having purpose, having a reason, all these things that are not you know, food, exercise, booze related, but more about emotion and psychology. Am I love? Do I have connection? Do I belong to a group? Does anyone give a fuck about me? Do I have something to do today that? Do I have something of value and purpose to do? Tell me about your thoughts either one of you around, because I know you are both very busy and you have great social lives and you're still ticking boxes and achieving things and have a focus.
Speaker 3: We have three kids who are really the nastest people you could ever wish to meet, and then they're in turn married with families, so we have a really great relationship with the family, with our grandchildren and you know, with the partners, etc. So I do think that's sort of a starting point for us, because that's really very important. We just seem to have that wonderful connection kids coming in and out, kids coming to stay, grandchildren coming to stay or something. But you know, that's that's very important. But then on the other hand, then it's the sort of the other connection, and we've we are lucky. We've got a lovely group of friends and that you know that we see you know, we still have people for dinner or we go there, or you know, we meet out do you know, meets people for lunch or something. And I've got a lot of lovely group of friends that I girlfriends, you know, that that I walk with or that I have coffee with. And it's look wonderful, love it.
Speaker 1: What about you old fella. Have you got any you I think you just seem busy, just doing shit all the time.
Speaker 6: Well, I think over the years, exercises probably almost dominated my life. I can remember, you know, in the early days of the Surf Club, you know, going back when I was eighteen twenty five, you know, I used to do a favorite of running. And then when I when I have the various business businesses, I'd always put aside probably an hour a day or close to it to exercise. I just say to the staff, look, I'm going for a run. We had we had our business was out in Blackburn on stage, I'd run around the Blackburn Lake and the s and then when we were down at the Pattison River, you know, I'd run down to the beach and run along the beach. So I would always put aside some time to exercise and think. And I still do that. How can I fit something in today? What's on today? Look at the diary? When can I have time.
Speaker 5: To the gym, go for a bike ride?
Speaker 6: Do there? So I think that's that's been very important in my life.
Speaker 1: And You've always been very handy phrase which has been handy for some of the harpest stuff. When something breaks at your house, are you the guy that Are you still the guy that fixes it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Absolutely? Yeah, I really am.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I can fix most things except electrical. I won't touch anything electrical for obvious reasons. But you know, charging tests and washes and all that sort of stuff. And you know, jenneal often say something is not working or broken. I can usually fix it.
Speaker 1: Now, Jenny, I know you love training with Silvio, who also used to be a Harperst trainer, and you do some boxing, but Tiff up there. Not only does Tiff do a bit of boxing, but Tiff is actually a boxer and has fought in the ring lots of Can you see that picture behind her of the boxer on the hole, Yeah we can, that's Herrilous. I reckon you two girls might have to get together, just you know, just a one just cheating behind your trainers back and do a session with Tiff Tiff, could we?
Speaker 4: I'd love that.
Speaker 2: Well. I was already gonna ask you to come and hang out and have coffee with me because I feel envious that Harps and you guys caught up recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we.
Speaker 3: If you promise to tell me about what you're burnt on the mountain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd love it.
Speaker 3: Lock it in, lock it.
Speaker 1: In, yeah, yeah, that would be good. Hey, well, we appreciate you too. I so love catching up with you, love having you in my life, even though we don't spend enough time together. Thanks for the coffee the other day and the chat. And it's funny how I don't think you realize because you're so both grounded, down to earth humble. You know, people are so inspired by you, and I know you don't feel inspirational because it's just you just doing what you do. But without sounding cliche or to self helpy, you are really an inspiration because you know most people. Firstly, most people don't. This sounds bad, but it's just true. The average life expectancy is younger than both of you, like I think for women it's eighty two in Australia and minutes like eighty And you guys look like you're going to be going strong for another twenty years. So it's so inspirational. And you know, thanks for coming to chat with us on the You Project, Jenny, And do you want to leave our listeners with any words of I don't know, inspiration or insight can I just.
Speaker 3: Say that thank you for those kind words.
Speaker 4: That's that's really lovely.
Speaker 3: But I don't want anybody to out there to think that we're smug or that you know, we think that we're better than anybody else. I tell you, okay, and every day is a new day. You just story?
Speaker 1: Can you just can you just start again from just because it cut out, so just go back to I tell you like I tell you.
Speaker 3: Ye. Well, I just wanted to say that I didn't want any of your people listening to think that we're pains in the art or a bit smug and you know that we're we're up ourselves at all, because really that's not so. We we treasure every day. We know that we're getting to the pointy end, and and you know we we we're very aware of that, and each day is a new day and we treasure that new day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that. What about you, you old bugger? Are you just going to go and fix something now?
Speaker 4: Probably go.
Speaker 6: I'd just like to say anyone that is listening to this podcast, if you know you you aren't happy with your your business, or your diet or your life regime, it's pretty easy to fix, really, is.
Speaker 5: People sort of over complicate things, I think.
Speaker 6: But all you've got to do is is either a healthy diet, do some exercise.
Speaker 5: You don't have to be your maniac about it. For a walk.
Speaker 6: And you know it's it's so easy, Craig, And you know so many people they put all the excuses up. You know, I haven't got time and I'm too busy and you know whatever, and do something about it.
Speaker 1: Here it is the fucking boom. There's the primo right there. We'll say goodbye off there, but for the moment. Jan Andy and Tips, thanks for coming on the EU project.