Speaker 1: Why on Sky News.
Speaker 2: This is Shari.
Speaker 3: Good evening, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: The IBA and alban Easy clash over accusations government spending is driving up inflation. That full story in a moment a form ahead of Israeli intelligence, will be on the show live as Israel prepares for a devastating strike by Iran and chaos at the University of Sydney as students vote to support terrorism against Israel, they laugh and yell when asked to condemn the October seven attacks.
Speaker 3: At this point, it seems like university Vice Chancellor.
Speaker 4: Mark Scott has no chance of regaining control of this lost generation.
Speaker 3: On his campus. But one brave young student did.
Speaker 4: Stand up to the mob, and she will join me on the show tonight. This whole story a Shari exclusive and it's coming up later this hour, But first tonight, the IBA governor has embarrassed Anthony Albanezi by contradicting his comments that inflation was under control just hours after he said it. There was a bizarre spectacle today where the Prime Minister tried to claim his policies were putting downward pressure on inflation, when IBA economists have said the precise opposite. The Central Bank specifically said this week that government spending was keeping inflation high and stopping rates from falling. They couldn't have been any clearer, saying it was a significant reason why inflation wouldn't return to the target band of two to three percent until twenty twenty six. Yet the Prime Minister today tried to pretend this was nonsense.
Speaker 3: This wasn't even a.
Speaker 4: Case of the PM trying to spin his way out of a problem.
Speaker 3: He was literally in denial mode.
Speaker 5: Have a look inflation. The RBA has taken a shot that you're spending, which is why rates aren't coming down. Are Australians facing higher rates for longer because of big spending federal and state budgets.
Speaker 6: Well, that's not what they've said, Peter, with respect and.
Speaker 5: Well this is the quote here from the RBA. Public demand is forecast to be stronger than previously expected, reflecting recent public spending announcements by federal and state governments.
Speaker 7: Are you saying they're wrong.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's very different. That's very different from the way that you characterized it, Peter. Inflation has a range of aspects and that's why we've made sure we agree that inflation needs to be further moderated.
Speaker 4: And by the way, Pete Stefanovic did a better job than any other journalist who interviewed the PM this morning and he did the rounds.
Speaker 3: But as you saw.
Speaker 4: There, Albanezy denied government spending was pushing up inflation and claimed it wasn't what the RBA had said. Let's just have a look at that specific lie, because it is a lie.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 5: Are Australians facing higher rates for longer because of big spending federal and state budgets.
Speaker 6: Well, that's not what they've said, Peter, with respect.
Speaker 4: In fact, it was exactly what the RBA had said, both in written and verbal statements, but it got worse. Economists and media outlets are concerned about the clash in views between the RBA and Treasury that monetary and fiscal policy may not be working in tandem. The finn Review today reported on a split between the RBA and the Albanese government over the economic outlook after Treasurer Jim Chalmers on Wednesday disputed the Central Bank's assessment that the economy was still operating at an unsustainable pace, and The Australian's front page headline today is Treasurer's RBA brawl.
Speaker 3: On the growing.
Speaker 4: Divide between Jim Charmers and the Reserve Bank. We've been speaking about the RBA's criticism of government spending over the past two nights, Yet the Prime Minister had the hide to insist there was no divergence between the RBA and his government.
Speaker 6: But the other thing we've done that is so important is we've made sure fiscal policy. Budget policy works arm in arm with monetary Well, that's.
Speaker 5: Not working at all because the RBA and Treasury are brawling at the moment. That's not true, Peter, Well, you're saying completely different.
Speaker 6: Inflation. No, we're no, we're not. We're saying that inflation needs to continue to moderate and we're saying that we are working towards that. That's why we're producing two budget surfaces.
Speaker 4: But just hours after the Prime Minister's denial, he's newly installed RBA governor gave a lecture in Armadale today where she reiterated that inflation was persistent as she may have to raise rates yet again, they've already been forty in rate rises as you know, in the past two years.
Speaker 8: It also noted that the growth of demand looks like it'll pick up over the rest of the year, although I have to say here there's considerable uncertainty.
Speaker 3: About the outlook. It's very uncertain.
Speaker 8: The effect of this is that the board's expectations when inflation will come back to the toroercent target range has been pushed out, and we don't expect we'll get there now until the end of twenty twenty five, so that's over a year away. And this is why the Board explicitly considered whether another interest rate rise was required to ensure that inflation continues to decline in a reasonable time frame.
Speaker 3: Pretty strong comments there.
Speaker 4: Then there's a conflict too between alb and Easy and the RBA over whether the energy subsidies are reducing inflat Well, Albert Easy insisted today the energy relief was lowering inflation.
Speaker 6: Have a look, we're making sure that they're getting that cost of living relief, but we're doing it in a way so it's designed to put that downward pressure on inflation at the same time.
Speaker 4: Again, another point RBA doesn't agree with. They're senior economist Sarah Hunter said just yesterday that the temporary energy rebates would not ultimately reduce underlying inflation.
Speaker 9: So what the border are considering and trying to achieve, is inflation sustainably back at the target in terms of being a sustained return to target. That's not something that we can see coming from those particular policies because they are only legislated for one year, so that by their sort of nature time limited and temporary.
Speaker 4: And that sentiment was also reflected by the Reserve Bank's own monetary policy statement, and i'll read it to you now. They say headline inflation is expected to moderate temporarily in the near term, owing primarily to one off measures, including those providing cost of living to households. However, headline inflation is then expected to increase as energy rebates and as currently legislated, before moving in line with underlying inflation once these temporary effects have passed, and you can see in their figures that headline inflation does tick up back up to three point seven percent when those measures end, the subsidies end. Now our position leader Peter Dutton seized on this conflict today when he gave his press conference in Darwin.
Speaker 10: Anthony Albernezi had a train wreck interview this morning on Sky News. It's clear to me that he doesn't understand the basic economic principles, and you've now got a war between the Albanesi government and the Reserve Bank governor. I don't know who I would back in that war. It would be the expert in the Reserve Bank governor.
Speaker 4: Now, none of this is good for Australia, is economic Outlook. You want the government and the RBA working hand in hand to bring down inflation, not having this public clash over direction. There's no point having the RBA take money out of the economy only for federal and state governments to inject money back into.
Speaker 3: It just to win votes.
Speaker 4: And the Prime Minister yet again today announced another policy to give childcare workers and extra one hundred dollars each more money in people's pockets. Inflation is keeping our interest rates high and cost of living high, and the least that state and federal governments can do is stop the cash splash. All right, To discuss this further, let's bring in tonight's paddle Perth Mayre Basil Zemplus and Sky News host Caleb Bond.
Speaker 3: Great to see you both, Basil, What do you think I mean?
Speaker 4: Clearly there has been a difference in statements coming from the government and the RBA this week, as we've just outlined both in terms of where the government spending is contributing to inflation and just how much those energy subsidies are going to move the needle.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no doubt about that. I mean, we've seen it presented with classic definition for us tonight. They are not on the same page. I've got to say also as an aside, sometimes it's careful what you wish.
Speaker 11: For, isn't it.
Speaker 2: This new era of allowing the Reserve Bank of Australia, the Governor and other board members to have their say and speak more often, sometimes it's a little bit counterproductive to what you might be hoping to achieve. But I quote, the Reserve Bank of Australia have said they're looking for softer growth in government spending before it could cut interest rates. They're black and white statements there, they are. So I'm not sure how the Prime Minister can dispute the fact that they are not on the same page at the moment. They clearly are not.
Speaker 4: And look, Chris Richardson through the figures with me yesterday. I brought them to you last night. An extra ten billion from the federal government, an extra twelve billion from state governments, and then you add in the stage three tax cuts, and he says that amounts to an extra forty six billion dollars in the economy this financial year alone, which is just under two percent of the national account.
Speaker 12: Kale.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And it's a tricky line for a government to walk because of course they want to be seen to be providing some level of relief for cost of living, and they will be slammed if they don't do that. But on the other hand, every dollar that you give to a person to spend adds to the problem of inflation, which worsens the cost of living. So do you actually end up in front in the first place? And the statements of both the Prime Minister and the Treasurer are utterly duplicitous if you read into what Charmers has said. The Treasurer, Doctor Jim Charmers saying rebuking the RBA, essentially saying, well, look, I mean, no one's got any spear cash in their pocket right now. And sure most people don't have any spare cash in their pocket right now, but that's because they've had to spend the extra money that they've been given, because the essentials have continued to go up. You look at the inflation numbers that came out from the last quarter, and discretionary spending has gone down. Inflation has reduced on discretionary spending, but it is essentials like fuel and electricity and food that have continued to go up. So you don't have spare cash in your pocket because you've had to meet those extra costs. And what causes all of that supply and demand, as the RBA says, and why do we have supply and demand issues because we've had record migration, not enough housing, not enough schools, not enough places for people to go. Oh, these are all things that are in the government's control. But they say no, no, no, no, because we've given you cost of livering relief. There's nothing to worry about here. They're trying to have their cake and eat it too.
Speaker 4: And of course low productivity is also an issue which the IRBA has highlighted this week that also is in the government's control of it, but nothing's.
Speaker 3: Been done on it yet.
Speaker 4: And I think it's worth pointing out when we have this discussion that elsewhere the United States, for instance, they are looking at lowering intrast rates comes September at least by November, but it looks like probably September. So other places around the world are moving now to cut rates, although it is worth noting they are higher.
Speaker 3: The US is interest rate is.
Speaker 4: Five point five percent hours obviously four point three five percent.
Speaker 3: But still they're going to move in that direction long before we are. I mean, we're not going to be.
Speaker 4: Looking at rate cuts at least in the next six months, potentially longer. Now, let's have a look at this tone deaf joke that has landed the Prime Minister in hot water today. Look, he's done a social media post of a mocked up album cover.
Speaker 3: I assume this is him.
Speaker 4: Joking about the fact that he's known as DJ Albow Basil.
Speaker 3: He's been criticized for this post.
Speaker 4: People have that it makes light of families who are seriously struggling.
Speaker 3: What do you think.
Speaker 2: They're certainly trying to take a little praise prematurely. And one thing we all know, everybody hates people. Patting themselves on the back in our community is never welcome. But we even hate it more when politicians pat themselves on the back. Get the job done, let others sing your praises. Demonstrate a track record of proven success in this area and the fanfare will take care of itself. I don't mind the attempts at humor or a little bit of lightheartedness, but I don't think this one works, not so much, poor taste. It just missed the mark. It's not what's required at the moment, and it shows that they're misfiring in this area completely.
Speaker 4: Also a CD cover. I mean, no one play CDs anymore. I know what Phil have on my c it is I just can't play.
Speaker 11: I'm exactly the same I was going to say. I mean, it's really emblematic of what all of this means. The fact that he's used a CD covered. I mean, so fresh was sort of the sounds of my childhood.
Speaker 4: But well, you hang on, Shary, hang around when they're wory.
Speaker 7: Hang on, Sharry. That's a low blow.
Speaker 13: That is a low blow.
Speaker 11: I mean, you're younger than me, You're only twenty one, so come on. But it is so emblematic of what all of this actually means. Because he's using a CD cover, which is a CD You've been just about as useful as all of the measures that he's talking about on the front of that CD cover.
Speaker 3: Good analogy, well, and even worse than that.
Speaker 2: Actually, Cayleb makes a fair point.
Speaker 7: The last time we were all.
Speaker 2: Listening to CDs was around about the time when interest rates were at eighteen or nineteen percent. So they're taking us to a place where we don't want to actually be reminded.
Speaker 3: Of good point. Good point.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: Peter Dardan also criticized the PM today after another four fishing boats were intercepted off Way's coast on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Have look, well, it's the.
Speaker 10: Case because Anthony Albanuzi money out of aerial surveillance and maritime surveillance, and if you take those resources away, the people smugglers and those who are involved in illegal fishing and other activities including running of drugs, et cetera, they just run right bozo.
Speaker 4: What do you think do you think this criticism is fair, that this is a result of Labour's reduction, as Peter Duttan says, in maritime and aerial surveillance.
Speaker 2: Well, you can only go on what we have before us to consider, and we know absolutely that there have been more boats appearing, there have been more boats getting into Australian waters. There's been more reports of exactly this sort of thing, illegal fishing boats and others making their way into Australian waters, and rightly or wrongly, there is clearly a perception issue that exists around the labor government that they are softer on these things, and it appears to people smugglers and others are prepared to take a chance because of the reputation and the exact that softening that we've seen, and they can't get away from that. It's fact that is what happens when we have had labor governments in recent times.
Speaker 3: And here it is again.
Speaker 4: Interesting piece in the fin Review today it looked at the booming growth of TikTok in Australia, so the social media app that none of us who would be watching me tonight, none of us are actually on this app, but it's in the news all the time, but it's booming and the Australia compared to in the US, where Congress is considering banning the Chinese owned platform.
Speaker 3: The fin Review.
Speaker 4: Reports that TikTok reported a net profit after tax of eleven point four million last year and it certainly they say that it is going to be advertising another one hundred and twenty six jobs, one hundred and twenty six jobs.
Speaker 3: I mean, Caleb, we.
Speaker 4: Could only I mean, it would be unheard of for any media organizations here to be.
Speaker 3: Hiring another one hundred and twenty six people.
Speaker 4: TikTok thrives on miss information, disinformation, you know, mindless content, and they're booming well.
Speaker 11: I mean, the best we could hope for was one hundred and twenty six trained monkeys.
Speaker 1: It's at about a dollar an hour.
Speaker 11: But the problem with all of this, of course, and you look at the US where they have threatened TikTok basically that they have to divest their Chinese parent company, bike Dance has to divest if they want to keep operating in the US, And we should be doing exactly the same thing here because we know that it's essentially Chinese spy where it rots the brains of Western children. And I'm convinced that it is designed to do exactly that, because if you look at the version that's offered to children in China, you know it shows them science experiments, latics equations. It's time limited to forty minutes a day, so you can't just keep scrolling. Of course, you can get a Western kid, Australian, US UK kid to go on TikTok and they're just looking at nonsense. And it goes on and on and on and on and on all day scrolling.
Speaker 4: I was even reading an interview that one of the gold medal Gold Medal Olympia Gabe, and they said what.
Speaker 3: Do you do to relax?
Speaker 4: And she says, I lie in my bed and scroll through TikTok and the hours and.
Speaker 11: This is the thing, because once you get going, it's so hard to stop. And China knows that right, And you'd be stupid to think that China, being the expansionist regime that it is, the CCP, would not be using a product such as TikTok to try and destroy the brains of Western people. It's exactly how they operate, and we let them do it. We've got politicians using it because of course they want to be where the kids are. But they've got to take a look at this is bad for our country. It has to go.
Speaker 4: And they deliberately have extreme content and content that's going to see division in Western democracies.
Speaker 3: Balzo, I actually want to ask you about something else.
Speaker 4: Peter Darton has just been in wa for five days. Wa is lost well, the Liberal Party lost many seats to Labor the last election.
Speaker 3: How do you think he's.
Speaker 4: Going in terms of trying to claw back those seats ahead of the next election, which we assume will be in the first quarter of next year.
Speaker 2: I would say that with each visit to Western Australia he is more he endears himself more to the West Australian public. I think we've made this point previously. Peter Dutton is not trying to win a popularity contest. He is trying to win an election and he's always going to do it in the Peter Dutton way. That is going to be with policy direction, clarity and a forceful personality that he will deliver what he says he is going to deliver. So I think on each visit, on each occasion that he comes here, he further enhances that reputation and further endears himself to the West Australian public. It is clear WA is going to be critical. The job is not done yet. He's going to need to come back a few more times yet, but he is working hard and I think with each visit that window opens. I can say this and I don't say it with the blue hat that I wear in the state scene now, although I understand people might suggest that I do, but there is no doubt that the federal Labor government at the moment is right off the popularity that saw them elected at the last federal election. So the door is open for Dutton to be able to go through the challenges he's now to be able to do that, but he's making in roads definitely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very interesting. All right, Basil Zempler's great to see you, and Caleb. We'll see you back here at ten o'clock tonight.
Speaker 11: Cheers.
Speaker 4: Now, another big story in the news this week is nuclear energy. As you know, Peter Dutton has put nuclear squarely on the.
Speaker 3: Table ahead of the next election.
Speaker 4: And while more and more Australians are open to adding nuclear to the energy mix, state governments are not. And we've just been speaking about Wa well, WA's mining minister is refusing to change their policy on uranium despite the cause from the Coalition to lift the prohibition on nuclear. WA Minds Minister David Michael says the state's future energy needs.
Speaker 3: Will be met by renewables.
Speaker 4: No problem here to discusses National's leader David Little Proud David, good.
Speaker 3: To see you again.
Speaker 4: Look where does this leave the coalition's signature energy policy. If the states like Wa won't lift their bands on uranium well.
Speaker 14: As a last resort we would have to use federal powers, but we don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: We're going to the Australian people.
Speaker 14: Peter Dutton and I will go to the Australian people with a clear plan not to put all our energy eggs in one basket, to have concentration risk that won't underpin our economy. There's no industrial scale country of our size in the world that's going in all renewables approach.
Speaker 1: So we will.
Speaker 14: Transition some of our coal to nuclear with gas as well as some renewables. But what we want is leadership. We're going to be upfront and on us with the Australian people. If we get that manddate, they expect the Australian people expect that their politicians actually respect that mandate and show the leadership that we're showing and get out of our own and work constructively and make sure that we facilitate this transition in an orderly way. And that's what Peter Dutton I'll be asking the Australian people to determine. If we get that mandate. We expect the states and matter that political persuasion to work with this and to get on with.
Speaker 1: The job that we will have been elected to do.
Speaker 11: So.
Speaker 4: If you did win the next election the States still refused to lift the prohibitions on nuclear you're saying you would use federal powers to what forced them to overturn the bands.
Speaker 3: How would that work in reality?
Speaker 14: Well, obviously the first instance will be to work with those states and we'll be talking about starting two the nuclear power plants immediately, going to seven over the period up until twenty fifty.
Speaker 1: We made that very clear. We want to work constructively, but we will utilize every federal power we have.
Speaker 14: If there is roadblocks put in front of us. No one should underestimate and Peter Dutton's determination to make sure that Australia is not left behind and we remove ourselves from this reckless race of an all renewables approach that will.
Speaker 3: Destroy this contract.
Speaker 1: We are going to be upfront and honest to this stray people.
Speaker 3: How would that work?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 1: Obviously do you have.
Speaker 14: Well? And those are things that obviously we're working through in making sure that if we have to utilize those those federal powers and there are, There are a number of them that we would utilize if necessary.
Speaker 1: But I don't think the Australian people want.
Speaker 14: Us to have a fight with the States after they've clearly given a direction not just to us, but to every to every state and territory in this country to get on with the job. That's what elections about, that's what this beautiful thing called democracy is about.
Speaker 1: And we don't want to pick a fight. But what we're saying is, you are people.
Speaker 4: Gives working through that process of if the States refuse, and you know, you could easily foresee a situation where at least one, if not two or three of the state governments refuse to lift the ban, so you are currently working through what options you have to force them to do.
Speaker 14: That as a last resort. No one should underestimate our determination to achieve this. But I think what the Australian people want is leadership. They want strong leadership, and aton little, proud government will give that strong leadership. We're going to look Australians in the eye now, We're going to tell them what we're going to do, how are we going to do it, and we expect the country to unite behind that and get on with the job to back ourselves as a country and do what we should do to set this up for generations to come. That's why I'm in politics, and that's the legacy I want to leave for my children and why I get grandchildren. Not a legacy of renewables that last for fifteen years, but something will last for eighty to one hundred years. That's the common sense that the Nationals are going to stand behind and make sure that the next selection the Australian people get a choice to vote for.
Speaker 4: All right, David Little Proud, Leader of the Nationals, thank you very much for time now. Coming up after the break shea chaos in the UK. Five hundred extra prison spots are freed.
Speaker 3: Up as violence escalates.
Speaker 4: The brilliant Brendan O'Neil will join me next plus, a former head of Israeli intelligence will be on the show live and we're going to hear his insights as Israel prepares for a devastating strike by Iran.
Speaker 3: Welcome back well.
Speaker 4: Hesbalah is reportedly poised to attack Israel in the coming days. This according to US intelligence. The Lebanese terrorist group is moving faster, apparently in its preparations than Iran, with an attack from them expected to be sooner and harder than anything from Tehran. But a strike from either Iran or Hesbelah could happen with no notice.
Speaker 3: Well to discuss this.
Speaker 4: I'm thrilled to welcome to the program Major General Amos Yadlin. He's the former head of IDF Intelligence direct and current President.
Speaker 3: Of MIND Israel.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much for joining us this evening, really appreciated. Look, Israel is bracing for strikes, as I just said, by Iran and Hezbollah. What can we expect and how do you think their approaches will differ.
Speaker 12: I think both of them are trying to attack Israel in their way as a retaliation and trying to establish some the terrans after Israel basically retaliated and attacked the chief military terrorists under Marsuala and Israel is alleged never took responsibility. But the Iranians are thinking that Raniah was the head of the Tel organization Haramas was assassinated in terror, so Isael is ready the good news. I think that all three parties don't want to go to a full scale war. It's a very fine formula of operation that want to establish the terrence to do some retaliation without going that high that will will escalate to a full scale war.
Speaker 3: Look, it's good to hear you say that.
Speaker 4: We have been reading reports though that there are concerns the attack could be devastating and could be very destructive, including in some of Israel's biggest cities. Are you confident that Israeli's defense systems, including the Iron Dome, will be able to protect citizens? So do you think the scale of an attack could be so large that it could overwhelm these systems.
Speaker 12: I don't see them doing a large scale attack as it was in April from Iran and towards Tel Aviv, as that was never exercised in the last ten months that riz Bala started the war with Israel, I see them doing something that in the middle by the way, Iran is cooling down. They saw the American fleet that came to help Israel. They understood that Ania was not targeted from Israel by a missile or by any violation of an Iranian airspace, So they'll not have the right to do an attack on Israel with missiles. And I think the new president basically understand that there will be an Israeli reaction, and he don't want to start his term basically caring about the Iranian economy and paying attention to what happened in Yemen. In Hudaida thought, So, I see the Iranians looking for different kind of attack, not overwhelming missile attack. He's Balo on the other hand, he's Balo on the other hand, it's going to attack as well. But I do have a lot of confidence in the defensive. It's not only the iron, it's three layers of arrow David sling and iron doo and another foce, which is the Isueli air force that can stop some of their drones and rose missiles. And they know exactly that Israel will not stay in the defense. Israel will react, maybe simultaneously, maybe after seeing the results. So I think are also scaling down the level of attacks that's a plan to do against is Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, it seems like the if that's the case, the retaliation strikes and attacks will continue.
Speaker 3: I don't see where an end is in sight. Major General.
Speaker 4: I'm interested to hear your thoughts just before you go on the recent assassination of the Hamas chief Honeyea.
Speaker 3: That you refer to in Tehran.
Speaker 4: It's been reported but not confirmed, that a bomb was snuck into his bedroom and then at a later time, early in the morning Tehran time, it was remotely detonated. We presume this was masade. We don't know how impressive. I mean, you were former IDF intelligence chief, So how impressive was this strike at his home in Iran to have to physically go in there in Tehran plant a bomb undetected.
Speaker 12: I don't know who've done it, but whoever done this operation demonstrated a very high level of intelligence, a very high level of planning, and a very high level of being able to penetrate a site that belonged to the IRGC. So as I said, in the last months, Israel demonstrated some of its capabilities. And the terrence that was highly destroyed is really the terrence on the seventh of October is now getting back some of its value. If you once again go to the port in Judada to the head of the military part of Rizbala, I don't know whether an EA is included, but for sure death is included. Death is the head the head of Rama's terrorist organization in Gaza in the military site. So the two main forms Gaza and liberon the heads. The chief of stuffs of these tele organizations are gone, and this is the time, by the way, to go into a hostages deal from a position of powerm after some achievement and basically to cool down the Middle East.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very good points.
Speaker 4: Look, I really appreciated your insights, Major General, and we look forward to having you back on the program on another occasion.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Well, let's turn to the United Kingdom now, which thankfully had a reprieve overnight from the violent riots that have rocked Britain.
Speaker 3: Over the past week.
Speaker 4: According to the latest YUGA of polling, half of people think Kirstarma has handled the riots poorly.
Speaker 3: Here he was just yesterday.
Speaker 13: Over four hundred people now have been arrested. One hundred are being charged, some in relation to online activity, and a number of them are already in court and I'm now expecting substantive sentencing before the end of this week. But the message has to go to those who are involving themselves in this disorder, which is you're wrong, you shouldn't be doing it. You were the full force of the law, as I hope we're being able to demonstrate with these swift prosecutions.
Speaker 3: Right, let's bring it now.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite guests, Spiked Online chief political reporter Brendan O'Neill in Lnedon, terrific to see you again, Brendan. Look, how have these riots spiraled so quickly? And can you tell me about this underlying friction clearly in UK society.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the riots are awful, absolutely dreadful. They have been. They have caused a lot of destruction, a lot of injury. We've seen mosques being attacked, We've seen hotels housing immigrants being attacked. This is really nasty stuff and it really blew up for about four or five days. It seems to be fizzling out now. But you know, there is a reluctance from Keer Starmer downwards throughout the political class and the media class to talk about any potential causes of these frictions, any potential causes of these tensions in this violence. My view is that I don't even think these are race rights. I think they are identity riots. I think these are the grim wages of the politics of identity, when you live under a political system that continually reduces people to their racial characteristics, which divides people according to whether they are supposedly privileged or supposedly oppressed, which depicts Britain as an institutionally racist or Islamophobic country. When you have government, actors and activist class and the media set which are constantly pushing these divisive messages, I don't think we can be surprised when divisions actually explode into violence. So we have to look at ourselves as a society and ask how this kind of violence could happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the cause social cohesion is breaking down in cities around the world. Brendan, you were in Australia recently, we caught up you witnessed the insane anti semitism that we've got here. Well, just overnight and I'm going to play you everyone at home the footage from this after the break But overnight University of Sydney's students demanded that other students support the Palestinian right to armed resistance. That's how they put it. That is basically terrorism. How have we deteriorated do you think so extensively as a society that educated university students who are woke in every other aspect of life are now supporting terrorism and violence.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, it's terrifying, and I think it's even worse than that. I think clearly, as you say, they have expressed support for what is fundamentally terrorism, but they've expressed support for armies of anti Semites. Because if you are voting to support the Palestinian right to armed resistance, as they refer to it, just nine months after her mass carried out the worst slaughter of Jewish people since the Holocaust, then you are giving your support to violent actions like that. So these are people who pose as anti fascists, who pose as anti racist, and yet they have been either blase or actively supportive of the worst act of racist violence of this century so far. So they are hypocrites. And I would say there are a lot of racists in their ranks as well. And you're right. Universities across the West have become hotbeds of due hatred since the seventh of October pogrom, you know, on those so called gaza encampments on American universities, we saw people referring to Israel as the pigs of the earth. We saw Jewish people being told to go back to Poland a swashticker was painted on one university campus. We've seen similar developments in Britain, and of course on all the protests which a lot of students are involved in, people have openly praised her Mass, They've openly praised the Whufies, They've openly praised movements that are devoted to the murder of Jewish people. So I think the problem here, especially on campuses, is that we have educated young people to turn against their own civilization. We've educated them to be anti Western and what we're faced with Middle East right now is a battle between civilization as represented by Israel and barbarism as represented by her Mass and its other allies. So it's not surprising, even though it's deeply shocking, that our young people, who we've turned against civilization have taken the side of barbarism in this conflict.
Speaker 4: So smart Brennan ONEO really appreciate you coming on the show. Thank you very much. Now after the break we're going to have more on that story. And the female student who took on a mob of her Mass loving students at the University of Sydney last night. She waived the Israeli flag and oh she's not Jewish, She's going to join me life.
Speaker 3: Plus it's been a bad day.
Speaker 4: For Alan Joys who lost nearly ten million dollars.
Speaker 3: That's all coming up next. Welcome back.
Speaker 4: Well, let's go to these utterly outrageous scenes at the University of Sydney last night where the Student Representative Council put forward motions where they called for three things. One to cut ties with apartheid Israel, secondly to scrap the Camper's access policy and lastly affirm a one state solution and Palestinian's right to armed resistance. Well, two motions were passed at the meeting, supported by an overwhelming majority, and they were to cut ties with genocide and Gaza, and the second to support a one Palestinian state, no Israel, and the right to armed resistance. In the preamble, the students also argue that there should be no expulsions or suspensions of students who endorse terrorism. So this is what we're actually speaking about here, supporting Palestinian's right to armed resistance, that is, supporting their right to terrorism.
Speaker 3: And that's what happened on October seven.
Speaker 4: When entire families were slaughtered a massacre where hundreds of young people were gunned down at a music festival.
Speaker 3: Is this seriously what these.
Speaker 4: Dumb students at the University of Sydney support. Apparently so now, a non Jewish but pro Israel student moved an amendment to condemn the Hamas October seven attacks. You won't be surprised to hear it was overwhelmingly defeated. I've seen the videos, the crowds shouting, we don't give an f and free, free Palestine. They won't condemn the October seven attacks. Literally, pregnant women had their babies cut out of their stomachs. Babies and children were killed, women were raped. Jewish students said they faced hostility. They found it very distressing that their fellow students wouldn't even condemn the terror attacks. Make no mistake, this is extreme anti Semitism. Well, student frail each spoke extremely well.
Speaker 3: In front of the hostile crowd. Have a look. The mass is.
Speaker 15: A brutal jihadis friggi. You cannot say you stand for women and not condemn the rape of Israeli women. You cannot say you support queer people and not condemned her mask. Who takes a Sharia is laming you available. I suggest that should be thrown off.
Speaker 3: Till now, our lawyers blurred that footage.
Speaker 4: I don't know why it's but if you want go check it all out on Twitter now. The Wentworth MP Alegras Spender released a statement saying she was appalled to see young Jewish students treated with disrespect when they explained the facts about her muss Allegra. Spender said last night's motion excuses the actions of her musk and was passed without meaningful debate. No thoughtful person who considers the facts could support such a motion. And then after that meeting, the pro Palestinian students then stormed the University of Sydney's administration building where Vice Chancellor Mark Scott has his office. I've spoken to academics and students today. They are devastated. It was a disgusting display of anti Semitism and we've seen basically no leadership from the University of Sydney. In my view, the university has to shut this down. The only way they can do that is by suspending any student who voted to support terrorism, because thou would send a message that these aren't Australian values of tolerance and empathy and inclusiveness. Or I'm pleased to say that that University of Sydney student that you saw standing up there and taking on that horrible mob.
Speaker 3: Freyer leitch Well.
Speaker 4: She joins me now in studio along with commentator Jason Morrison.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Freyer. I have to say I feel like starting by applauding.
Speaker 4: You, because that took so much courage to stand up there in front of all of those students who are heckling you.
Speaker 3: And you're not Jewish, but you.
Speaker 4: Stood up for Israel's right to exist. You stood up for the victims of terrorism.
Speaker 3: Tell me what happened last night and how you felt.
Speaker 16: I knew it was going to be crazy when I saw the motions that were published. I knew this was going to be totally just full of anti Semitism. But even I was shocked. And I've been to a lot of these student politics meetings. The facts that we put up an amendment to condemn Hermas and condemn October seven, and that amendment was voted down by about eight hundred to eight says it. All these people are openly supporting terrorism. They've dehumanized Jewish people and Israeli people to such a point where they cannot even condemn rape, they cannot condemn burning people alive. They cannot condemn kidnapping. I am so distressed at the state of my generation and this university, and the fact that I guarantee these students will be back in class on Monday. Nothing will happen, there will be no repercussions, and they will continue to go on just luring these poor first year students into crazy radical socialists, pro Palestine clubs and societies, and over time anti Semitism will become the new normal at our university already has, Yeah, it already has. And what's so scary is our leaders. A lot of them have actually started as Sydney University students. We know Albo was once one of these pro Palestinian activists at Sydney UNI. It is terrifying to think that these kids who cannot condemn terrorism could potentially go on to be leaders of this country.
Speaker 4: I can't tell you how incredible, brave, courageous and articulate, articulate you are. We are just so lucky to have had you standing up there speaking last night. Jason, how do you think Mark Scott needs to handle this well?
Speaker 17: Mark Scott needs to stand up for once, not to be sitting in the corner and avoiding this issue and putting out statements to diffuse tensions, because it's not about tensions, it's about a boring attitude that the university seems to be able to look by. I don't think these kids will end up being leaders. They'll end up being Green's staffers. And that, unfortunately, is the sick part of all of this, is that they think they're in the mainstream with these views. They are so over in the kooky left with some dangerous thinking. And look, it's a shame actually that the lawyers blurred that vision, because what the vision shows is you're talking about fair dikham things that are happening in the Middle East, like people being killed for their sexuality, women being attacked because they're women speaking out. You're talking about things that actually do go on and are part of sharia law.
Speaker 1: And these half wits are giggling and laughing. They think it's funny.
Speaker 17: You're talking about rape going on inside the attacks that happened, and they're laughing at this like it's not real.
Speaker 1: Look, they're not right.
Speaker 4: I have no problem with people being pro Palestinian and disagreeing with the Israeli government.
Speaker 3: That's free speech. That's perfectly fine.
Speaker 4: But what we saw last night was an endorsement of terrorism, endorsing Palestinian's right to armed resistance and refusing to condemn the terror attacks.
Speaker 3: That's what's so concerning.
Speaker 16: And I was in Israel in May. I went to the site of the Nova Music Festival massacre. I went to Kibbutzbery. I spoke with a woman whose son and nephew were murdered.
Speaker 3: On October seven.
Speaker 16: She has another nephew that is still being held hostage in Gaza to this very day. That is what resistance looks like. I wonder if these kids realize that's exactly what they're supporting.
Speaker 3: I mean, how do you.
Speaker 4: Go from having you know, woke inclinations in any other respective life and then suddenly you support terrorism because it's against Jews.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 17: I think the failure at the university is the failure to speak it as it is, as you are here tonight and as you did in front of that room, is that there are too many people, too many academics, and they want to hide behind, you know, an academic argument, but it's straight out you hatred, and it seems to be something that they're comfortable with being a part of in these enlightened, tolerant halls of universities, that there are actually people who seem to think that's an acceptable thing to find a group of people and just hate them because of what they are, and to be able to look past the violence and the horizontal It's been there for too long, and it started with this little tent game that happened out there for far too long, Mark Scott. He continues to fail upwards and this seems to be what happens with this don I don't get.
Speaker 3: It getting dangerous now.
Speaker 4: Jason Morrison Freileitch, thank you so much both of you for your to I think we're going to take a quick break and then we'll be back with MOK. Let's bring in now Strategic Analysis Australia Director Michael Schubridge.
Speaker 3: Michael, great to see you.
Speaker 4: Look, let's look at this story that broke last night on Channel seven that there are concerns that Papua New Guinea could sell its power grid to China, or at least have Chinese investors, a move that would only bolster Beijing's presence in the region. What did you think of that report and do you have concerns about.
Speaker 12: This well, Sherry. It's a credible report.
Speaker 18: The head of pm G Power has said he's open to Chinese money. He doesn't know how they get such cheap loans, I do. They're backed by the Chinese government, Australia, Japan, New Zealand and the USUS spending hundreds of millions of dollars rolling out more electricity distribution in P ANDNG. There would be a massive own goal for US to build the electricity distribution system and then have a Chinese company operating it. It's critical infrastructure. So the answer here is the Australian government needs to back an Australian energy partner of P and G Power.
Speaker 4: Do you think this is a failure of Foreign Minister Penny Wong?
Speaker 3: Should she be doing more.
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 18: Yes, because how ridiculous is it that we're working with Japan, the US and New Zealand to roll out more electricity distribution only to possibly hand it over to a Chinese company. And we know Beijing has been hacking into critical energy systems in the US and other countries including Australia. If they can own and control P and g's energy system, that's all bad news.
Speaker 4: Look, I want to ask you about what was the big news that started off this week that our terror threat has raised to probable.
Speaker 3: Do you think this should have happened months ago?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 18: I wonder why it was lowered, but certainly after the horrible unleashing of such division in our community over the war in Gaza and the Prime Minister's failure to lead a national debate to diffuse that, Yes, the terror alert should have been raised earlier. I thought it was disturbing that there was only one sentence about the war in the Middle East in two pages of gumph about the raising of the alert, because that is the reason. It's that war and the failed national leadership of the Prime Minister that stoked the anger and division in our community.
Speaker 4: Do you think he's still not seeing the leadership, not showing the leadership that we need right now?
Speaker 18: Very quick answer, I do, and I think it's because the Labor Party doesn't have an ethical position on the conflict.
Speaker 3: Indeed, very interesting, Marcus Shrubridge. Really appreciate your time and ste.
Speaker 4: Sorry it was so short this evening. That's all we've got time for you tonight. I'll be back here Monday at eight o'clock. And right now, here's the man of the hour, Poor Murray