Speaker 1: Welcome, Joe wait Bay.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond coming up tonight. The AFL might have tried to outlaw the bump, but a South Australian footy fan has used it to great effect in a citizen's arrest. Will show you what happened a little later. Plus when we look at what's making news tomorrow. Of course cyclone Alfred the big story, how the papers are reporting that, and don't forget we'll provide regular updates throughout the weekend here on Sky News. Plus an incredible story in Melbourne a teenager at Avalon Airport managed to board a Jetstar flight with a shotgun, a loaded shotgun. All of that when we get to tomorrow's papers. But first, speaking of AFL, I'm a massive AFL fan, Caleb is a massive AFL fan, Liz is learning to be a massive AFLAT Wesson.
Speaker 4: I will sing the song to pro loyal.
Speaker 3: Do not lose them, so we won't have Liz do any musical numbers.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what you could say.
Speaker 5: Lizzie is a big, big sound though I think that would be apt.
Speaker 3: That is very true here's something I didn't know about the AFL. Though it's a registered charity and doesn't pay any tax, it's tax exemption status states back to the nineteen fifties and was granted by the government in recognition of the work it does to promote community sport.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, but the AFL is a very different beast these days. It's a one billion dollar a year business. The CEO earns well over three million dollars a year, and so there are calls for the AFL and other sports I must say, like the NRL to start paying tax. This all comes out of report in the Journal of Australian Taxation.
Speaker 2: I must say. It's a sad, sad life, Caleb.
Speaker 3: When you are spending your time reading the Journal of Australian are you.
Speaker 1: Telling me you don't read it every night.
Speaker 2: It's been a while, Caleb, it's been while.
Speaker 5: I go home every evening, crack a bottle of red, read the Australian Journal Taxation, and then I call my accountant tap to.
Speaker 1: Talk about what I've read. I thought everyone did it.
Speaker 3: Not everyone, But let me tell you what it says for those who aren't reading the Taxation Journal. The tax exemption given to the AFL is not justified because on the size of the league's revenues. The tax exemption was designed for community sporting clubs and leagues with low levels of income and not wealthy professional sports entities. Now it goes on to talk about two problems with the AFL not paying tax the revenue and the size of the CEO's salary package. But I'm not sure their good arguments, Liz, because when you look at the size of the AFL's revenue, it's a billion dollars. But World Vision have a revenue in Australia of about four hundred and fifty million dollars. The Salvation Army have an annual revenue in this country of about eight hundred and ninety two million dollars. They're charities that do great work. It's not the size of the revenue, it's how much you contribute back into the community. And as for executive salaries, if you're running an organization like the AFL with so many moving parts, it's a national organization, you've got thousands of employees, you've got a billion dollar a year income. Well, you're not going to pay someone pittance to run that. You're looking for someone who would be able to bear that responsibility. They've got five hundred and twenty six thousand registered players in this country, most of those in community sports, and ten percent of all of their revenue goes back into local sport.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with that?
Speaker 6: Well, I don't think anyone has a problem with the salaries of the head honchos, who will say running the clubs, running the leagues. The problem is, I don't know about you, but this became a game. As a complete spribes to me, I didn't know that these guys around. We're talking about a billion dollar industry here, and even more than that if you throw in cricket Australia, the NRL, the list goes on. I didn't know that these guys had this tax exemption. It's very hard to argue when you look at the minuture of it that this isn't a business, and a very lucrative one at that. When you think of non for profits, you think of organizations that focus on health education, the financially disadvantage, you do not think of billion dollar sporting leagues. What needs to happen here is pretty obvious, and that is the law needs to differentiate between those amateur sporting.
Speaker 4: Clubs that should be tax exempt.
Speaker 6: We want all those country kids and whatever else. It is the smaller community sporting clubs, absolutely, and that was the intention of the nineteen fifties legislation.
Speaker 4: That they would be exempt.
Speaker 6: Back in the nineteen fifties, we didn't have these massive, behemoth leagues who were posting huge revenues, huge profits every year.
Speaker 4: And sure they give a bit.
Speaker 6: Back, but let's keep in mind some of their revenue comes from these massive sponsorships lucrative broadcasting deals.
Speaker 4: Then we've got the fact that.
Speaker 6: They receive tens of millions of dollars in the form of a percentage of the income of betting agencies.
Speaker 4: This is a business.
Speaker 6: There's no way, shape or form in which they should be considered a non for profit.
Speaker 4: And the change that.
Speaker 6: Needs to happen is exactly what New Zealand has in their legislation, where they differentiate between the big wigs and the little guys who should be tax exempt.
Speaker 1: I think this is the problem right now.
Speaker 5: As someone who reads the Taxation Journal, I can tell you that it is Section fifty point four to five of the Income Tax Assessment Act that provides this exemption. But I think this is the problem because you wouldn't have an argument against it if you could say that all of the money that flows into the AFL and the NRL is put back into the local clubs and is.
Speaker 1: Put to good use.
Speaker 5: But when you watch sporting leagues having gay pride rounds and all this sort of thing, spending their money on things that is not really for the betterment of the sport in any way is making some kind of.
Speaker 1: A political overture.
Speaker 5: And quite often we've seen the big sporting leagues get involved in politics in this country. If you want to go down that road, you can have the right to do it.
Speaker 1: But we're going to call you a business.
Speaker 5: If you are a not for profit outfit that is solely involved in promoting sport which is good for health, et cetera in the country, I've got no problem calling you and not for profit. But if they're to go down that road and they have, I think they're a business. They're making shed loads of money. And if you want to argue that football is a public good, and I would say it is a public good, it's great.
Speaker 3: For our mental health, if it not our physical health. But although supporting North Melbourne is not good for you.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't it for your blood pressure either. I'd be going to see your doctor about that. But surely me doing this program is a public good, right. I mean, I'm informing the public of things they may not have known.
Speaker 1: I'm giving entertainment to people.
Speaker 5: I'm giving a company to people who might be at home on their own, and this is a bit of connection.
Speaker 1: To the world.
Speaker 5: That's a public good. So why do I have to pay tax? I mean, if you keep following this down the line, basically everyone can argue that what they're doing is somehow a public good and so they should be classified as a not for profit. The only problem with the not for profit thing is that they will argue the AFL, the NRL, every other sporting league that they are, in the truest sense, are not for profit because they don't deliver a dividend to a hareholder, right, so the money doesn't ultimately flow in profit to someone else. And on that point you'll probably never win the argument. But when you're making the money they are, it's pretty clear it's operating like a business even though it's technically a not for profit.
Speaker 3: Well, any good charity should operate like a business, because if you're not making money, but.
Speaker 1: There are a certain liberty if people, there are certain liberties you shouldn't be taking.
Speaker 3: If you are an agree which the AFL is the most woke sporting organization in the country. If they are getting charity status, they shouldn't be having all these different rounds that divide the community. I should point out they've got a billion dollars and your revenue there and your profit last year I think was forty five million, so that's important to note.
Speaker 1: Indeed, speaking of profit.
Speaker 5: An interesting column today in the Daily Telegraph from their property reporter Jonathan Chancellor. He's been in the game a long time, but he's written about the plan that's going to come in at the end of the month for foreign buyers to be banned from buying.
Speaker 1: Existing homes in Australia.
Speaker 5: Now he's mounted the argument that it will make basically zero difference to the availability of housing.
Speaker 1: In Australia, and he may well be right on that point.
Speaker 5: It's only two percent of property, residential property that is owned by foreign investors in Australia. Most of that is off the plan stuff. It's not existing properties, but in the last quarter or the last quarter that we have numbers four, which was the first quarter of the financial year. The September quarter, there was one point three billion dollars spent by foreign investors on residential property in Australia, and that is potentially one point three billion dollars of property that Australians otherwise could have bought. So the Coalition mounted an election promise in their Budget reply speech last year that they would ban foreign investors from buying homes in Australia. The Labor Party recently matched that.
Speaker 1: There was some polling done.
Speaker 5: I think it was about sixty three percent support for that idea, so Labor said, well, we.
Speaker 1: Better get on board with this.
Speaker 5: Chancellor writes actually that you've had an increase in foreign investors trying to get into the market anticipating this ban coming in on.
Speaker 1: April the first.
Speaker 5: But regardless of whether or not it actually makes a substantial difference, I don't see how you can argue it's a bad thing, because surely Australian property should be available for Australian people. I don't think that's controversial to say, and my major problem with it is that it doesn't go far enough. It bans the purchase of existing properties, but not off the plan. So if you're a Chinese investor, and you know, we often talk about Chinese investors because they make up at least half of the people spending money in this country. But there are people from other countries investing in Australia too. But why should you be able to come in with all your money and buy thirty apartments off the plan and then say well, I'm going to put them up for end when they're apartments that a first home buyer potentially could have snapped up. But how are you, as a first home buyer going to compete with Richie rich sitting over in China, who can buy the whole damn.
Speaker 6: Building, especially when most sales are by auction nowadays, especially if you're anywhere on the East Coast.
Speaker 4: It's auction auction option. So richest man wins.
Speaker 6: And guess what, foreign investors are extremely wealthy. So you're quite right all these missing out.
Speaker 4: But why is this ban only for two years? Runs out in March twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: They'll review it.
Speaker 4: Not good at yes, then they'll review it.
Speaker 6: But this is a national good just to ban it outright? Why does it only include new homes as you've rightly asked, Caleb, and.
Speaker 4: Why is it not immediate? Real estate agents.
Speaker 6: I was on several websites today and they're all saying, great, now we've seen this massive uptick in foreign buyers who were trying to get on the gravy train before the door slam shut on April the first.
Speaker 4: It should have been immediate.
Speaker 6: If you asked me, what would we have missed out on by making it immediate. Absolutely nothing except for less foreign investors snapping up properties that should be going into Ossie hands.
Speaker 4: It's that clear.
Speaker 6: And let's not forget even though this may may not make much of a difference, won't even put a dent in the housing crisis. Heck, it's a step in the right direction. This government, all of the government, state and federal, got together in twenty twenty three and launched this big idea. They called it, what was it, the National Housing Accord.
Speaker 4: So impressive. We're going to be building twenty.
Speaker 6: Thousand houses every month for five years straight. We are going to build one point two million houses.
Speaker 4: That was supposed to kick off in July.
Speaker 6: Right know how many new houses have been approved since then, ninety thousand.
Speaker 4: We are not putting a dent in it.
Speaker 6: They get together, they make these amazing announcements and don't deliver on it. In fact, put nothing in place in order to ensure that it was even possible. This is going to be the same. It's in the lead up to an election. It sounds like a very good headline, but it's temporary.
Speaker 4: It doesn't cover off a new homes.
Speaker 6: So what about all the new homes that are being built during that time?
Speaker 4: They're totally open to foreign investors.
Speaker 6: What's the use of even bulking up our supply, which we're not doing, but for argument's sake, let's say we were when the foreign investors can get their mits on it first.
Speaker 3: Well, this policy is the brainchild of Claire O'Neill, who rose to fame as the Home Affairs Ministry.
Speaker 2: Remember she and Andrew.
Speaker 3: Giles did such a great job bringing a huge number of immigrants into our country, which may have had something to do with the housing shortage we're now experiencing. She said, and I quote it's not a silver bullet to the housing crisis, because there is no silver bullet. But I really firmly believe it's good. She doesn't just believe, she really firm yeah, yeah, that given the housing pressures that Australians are facing today, we need to orient the entire efforts of the Australian government around security of housing for Australians. It's estimated that this policy will free up about one thousand, eight hundred homes a year. That's out of about half a million that are sold every year. So it really is a drop in the ocean. If Claire O'Neill and the federal government were serious about solving the housing shortage, they'd do something that involved her previous portfolio, which was immigration.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's the.
Speaker 5: Think is there are really only two ways you can do anything about this. That is to turn off the tap of migration though it should have been turned off a long time ago, and increase the supply of homes. But it is the increased supply that will be up for grabs for the foreign investors. So what was the point of all that, you know, unless we're saying again that everyone must rent forever.
Speaker 1: But I don't think as a society we want that to be the case.
Speaker 5: But even if it's eighteen hundred and sixteen hundred extra homes, you know, that's potentially eighteen hundred and sixteen hundred extra new families who have a house to live in that they can call their own. I don't care if the number is fifty houses. If that means there are fifty Australians who have a piece of dirt that they own, I think it's a good policy. No one's saying it's going to fix the world, but it's a step in the right direction. And I think the principle is the most important thing here that Australian property should be for Australian people.
Speaker 6: Oh imagine that an Australian government putting Australians first.
Speaker 4: Mind blowing.
Speaker 6: Speaking of this government, the big question on everyone's minds is is alban Easy going to call the election this weekend or within the week. It's highly expected.
Speaker 4: But now with cyclone. I was about to say cyclone elbow.
Speaker 2: To cyclone and it.
Speaker 5: Was going to be called Anthony, so that they couldn't do it. But someone emailed me the other day and said, look, it's a good thing they didn't call it Anthony, because we've already got two s hi t storms going on in this country at the moment, and one of them is called Anthony.
Speaker 3: But we didn't need a second one with the other irony about this is that just the other day, you know, they've been tracking the pathway of the cyclone and it keeps changing. But at one point they were predicting that the cyclone was going to go straight through Peter Dutton's seat.
Speaker 2: Which is just north of Brisbane.
Speaker 3: So could you imagine cyclone Anthony going through Dutton's electric.
Speaker 2: Just destroying it.
Speaker 3: Very symbolic Alfrid cyclone.
Speaker 6: Alfred so alban Easy of course has been asked about this here.
Speaker 4: He was earlier.
Speaker 6: Today on Sky being like like, oh, the election, last thing on my mind right now.
Speaker 7: You couldn't call an election in the face of a natural disaster like this.
Speaker 6: That's just not going to I mean that will that would be a tiny which you don't have, that would that couldn't happen.
Speaker 8: Surely, Kieran, I'm focused on not on votes. I'm focused on lives. I'm focused on Australians and Australians showing our character.
Speaker 2: At this debuilt time.
Speaker 8: You know what I've been focused on, Kieren is governing. We have a budget that we're prepared for and we put out the time.
Speaker 4: Sounds like you're delivering the budget.
Speaker 8: Well, we put out the timetable of that last year. Karen, what a line.
Speaker 4: I'm not focused on votes, I'm focused on lie.
Speaker 5: See the smirk on his face when he says I came up with a good line.
Speaker 1: A good line, feet right, I did.
Speaker 6: There's some staff sitting in the PM's office being like nailed.
Speaker 3: I thought he was laughing because he's like, are they really going to buy this? And then say I'm focused on governing? Or did he say at some point I'll get around to governing.
Speaker 1: I could.
Speaker 6: He's focused on governing, not campaigning.
Speaker 4: This isn't about compaining this could.
Speaker 6: I think it very much depends on how big of a natural disaster this turns out to be.
Speaker 3: You're talking about his prime ministership or you're talking about it.
Speaker 6: We already know that that's a very very natural disaster, huge fallout from that one. But if in fact cyclone Alfred turns out to be as we all hope so, not as detrimental as some are projecting.
Speaker 4: These things are highly unpredictable.
Speaker 6: You just never know until when and where it hits how bad it's going to be. Of course, if it does turn into a proper national emergency, he'd be totally teneed to call it.
Speaker 4: And if it turns out to.
Speaker 6: Be, say, a really bad storm and not that many people are homeless, et cetera, and so on, I reckon he will go for all. This momentum has been building for a Sunday announcement. So as we said earlier when we were discussing this off air, poor.
Speaker 4: Guy's damned if he doesn't.
Speaker 6: Damned if he doesn't, because if he doesn't, everyone will be like what a cower. Now he's just using this as an excuse to put it off for as long as he can, And if he does, everyone will be like, how could you While Australia is grieving and we've got floods and we've got.
Speaker 4: So there really is no win here for Albany's.
Speaker 3: But you've got to tell you is what you were telling us a fair about someone you know in Queensland who they're facing the storm is approaching, but they had a really good take on the election.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: So I got in touch with my aunt who's born and bred a Brisbane girl, and I was like, are you battening down the hatches? How's it all going? You know, Brisbane's set to be hit thinking of you guys, she says, my main concern is that alban Easy is going to use this to put off the election and he won't announce it after. So there you go, straight out of the mouth of a Queenslander. They do not want this used as an excuse. Very small poll there, one person, but it's still I'm rolling with it.
Speaker 3: Able to Let's say he does call an election, right the cyclone hits and there's flooding and stuff, and he says, by the way, we're going to the polls on April twelve. Aside from the media going oh it's bad form and the optics aren't good, it doesn't affect anybody's life. It doesn't stop the cleanup, It doesn't change anything for anybody. It gives us some certainty about when the election will be, which would be nice rather than this ongoing speculation. So I really don't see a problem if in the middle of the disaster cleanup or whatever, he says, by the way, in a few weeks we're going to the polls.
Speaker 2: What's the problem.
Speaker 5: I think the fact that people are hooing and harring about it is pathetic.
Speaker 1: Really, what does it matter? Like?
Speaker 5: It will not make one iota of difference to anyone's life if he makes the call. Actually it'll make a difference if he doesn't make the call, because it means we'll have him the longer as Prime minister. But it's not actually going to make it difference to anyone's life in Queensland or Northern New South Wales or wherever if he makes the call on the weekend or not.
Speaker 1: I mean, are you.
Speaker 5: Really telling me that if someone's had their roof ripped off and Albert Ezy gets up on Sunday and after the WA election on Saturday announces there'll be a federal election that they'll be standing to go Albo, how dare you call an election in my roof has being ripped off. I think they'll be more concerned with the roof than they will with Alban Easy making any sort of announcement.
Speaker 1: But it happens often on both sides of politics.
Speaker 5: And they tried to do it to Dutton this week as well, because he was in Sydney on Tuesday. He came down for a fundraiser with Justin Hems and he met up with a property developer for lunch. And you've got the AFI today and a few other outlets running these articles making it sound like it was scurrilous in some way that Peter Dutton had come to Sydney on Tuesday because he's a Queenslander when it was known that the cyclone was on the way here, he should have been back in Queensland doing what like standing the coast, going and trying to stop the cyclone from coming. Like he went back to Queensland yesterday. He was talking to Chris Kenny from his house on Wednesday evening. What do you expect to do? We're in a quasi election campaign. I've got to stop campaigning because there's a cyclone on the book.
Speaker 3: Well, let's imagine the cyclone is an absolute fizzer, right, it's just a bit of a storm. Will the Australing Financial Review then give Peter Dutton credit for a brilliant judgement like he knew it, master stroke. This guy has incredible insight. I think it's a bigger problem for Anthony Alberonizi actually, because if he calls the election in the middle of a disaster cleanup, he's not going to get the coverage and the headlines that you would be banking on. When you make that announcement, you're trying to get the momentum straight away with yourself. If he makes that announcement in the middle of a disaster, paradically.
Speaker 5: It might actually be the best time to do it, because what's he really got to go to an election roit So if he starts the whole thing off without actually having to talk about chip might be better for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, bring it on a lot of hot air either way.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about council because oftentimes on the late debate we talk about stupid things councils are doing. But Blacktown Council here in Sydney have come up with a great idea that I think we can all get behind. They have a new policy that bans counselors from debating international politics and overseas conflicts, and it demands that the council maintain a mutual stance on all international affairs. Now this is welcome news because you've got in a West Council here in Sydney that had to have police called when the Greens moved the motion to ban the council from associating with any companies that dealt with Israel. You had the City of Sydney move a similar motion and debate that you had the Willara Council who they actually moved the motion to change the street name on which the Russian consulate was located. They changed it from Fullerton Street to Ukraine Street. See what they did there. And then Cumberland Council they had a massive debate over whether or not they should fly the Lebanese flag out the front of the council chambers in support of Palestine. They used ratepayer money to erect a monument for children killed in Palestine, and of course no one is happy about kids being killed, but again, what's that got.
Speaker 2: To do with rates, roads and rubbish.
Speaker 3: So the councilors at Blacktown have decided we have a policy we don't debate international affairs, we don't take a position on international conflicts. The only people opposing this idea, can you guess, the Greens who say it will limit free speech, But of course it doesn't limit free speech. The only reason that these councilors have a platform to pontificate on all these sorts of issues is because someone elected them to fill potholes, and then they disrespect the station they're being given to use it to talk about all other things that are really not their purview. Peter Kamaliy, a councilor Blacktown, said, we have one hundred and eighty eight nationalities of residents living in Blacktown, which does seem a lot considering I think there's one hundred and ninety six countries.
Speaker 4: Maybe they have one for me, So.
Speaker 5: They're going to have to rename it from Blacktown to everyone Town.
Speaker 3: It would have seen that way, but they've got one hundred and eighty eight nationalities of residents living in Blacktown, and anything that asks us to pick aside when you have one hundred and eighty eight points of view will only ever divide, not unite fair enough.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of things I like about this.
Speaker 3: First, I think obviously it will help counselors to focus. And I know local government is pretty boring. It's mowing the lawn, filling in potholes, collecting bins, but it would be good for them the focus on those things because those things typically don't get done, but they find time to debate all sorts of things from overseas. And Second, calib I reckon it would weed out some of these people that run for local government, and maybe we would end up people who are there to actually represent residents rather than activists who aren't quite good enough to make it in the state or federal politics, like you know, like security guards who couldn't make the police force, but I got into security of course standing outside kmart. And so they use a council platform to grandstand and fulfill their dream of you know, pontificating about international affairs.
Speaker 2: Get rid of those people.
Speaker 5: Of course, I hope you don't run into any caman security guards anytime soon that you might have to pay for saying that.
Speaker 1: But I mean this should be pro former.
Speaker 5: Every council should just do this now. Of course they won't do it because they're not there just to worry about roads rates and rubbish many of them.
Speaker 1: And like you say, you know, it may be boring, but it's really important.
Speaker 5: I mean, these are things that we deal with every single day, driving on the roads, walking through the parks, having our rubbish empty. This is stuff that is arguably in many ways more important than stuff that our federal and state politicians are dealing with.
Speaker 1: Big How does it affects your everyday life?
Speaker 5: It is important, But what was your list of things you had there before?
Speaker 1: Who was it put? Change the street to Ukraine.
Speaker 2: It was the Willara Council war solved.
Speaker 1: What else did you have there?
Speaker 3: We had the Cumberland councils erected a monument to children who have died in Palestine because of the Gaza conflict.
Speaker 1: Waring Gaza solved. What else we've got?
Speaker 2: Inner West? Do you still live in the West?
Speaker 1: You used to?
Speaker 3: They actually had to have police called to the council chambers to quieten down the crowd when the Greens moved a motion to cut ties with Israel.
Speaker 5: There you go, warring Ghaza solved again by two councils in Sydney. I mean, do you think that her Maas is sitting there, you know, hanging on tinderhooks to hear what the Inner West Council did in Sydney.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's all over.
Speaker 5: We're going to have to do something now, Oh Israel. Benjamin Detnya who's sitting there in his office, going, oh my god, the Inner West Council's not going to have any relations whether it's anymore, we'd better call off these war. I mean, these are people so often who have risen above this station in life. They are neighborhood busybodies, who get elected often on two hundred votes, and then they think, oh, I'm so important and high and.
Speaker 1: Mighty, and I can talk about everything.
Speaker 5: If you want to do that, go into real politics, go to state policies, go to federal politics. You'll probably get two hundred votes there as well. But just stick to your knitting.
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 6: Well, even then, if you're in state or federal, again, this is kind of none of your business. These national wars on the other side of the world, and they're like, oh, I'm very self indulgent, so here's my five cents, and we're all.
Speaker 4: Like, nobody's listening to you.
Speaker 1: Nobody cares.
Speaker 6: Doesn't matter if you're in federal, state, or local government. It just gets funnier the further down the food chain that you get. But probably for the first time in well since the foundations of the earth were laid, the Greens may have a point here in terms of it incurring upon free speech, because what the counselor has done is not just applied this to their council meetings, but to counsel properties. We read in this article the policy also extends to public council lands such as Main Street in Blacktown, Blacktown Showground, and the Blacktown Civic Center, meaning any private or public event deemed as touching on international politics would be refused. So you are now gagging the entirety of your electorate that they can't in the public places within Blacktown. Council be allowed.
Speaker 4: To discuss these issues. Either they can't hire the town hall, they.
Speaker 6: Can't gather safe a protest on main Street in Blacktown. This is a massive no. And if you're living in Blacktown, you should absolutely make sure that your council amends this because it does absolutely trash the rights of everyone living within their borders.
Speaker 3: If you want to run a private function at the town hall and you can afford to hire it, you can celebrate I don't know, Chinese New Year or festival of whatever.
Speaker 2: Nothing wrong with that. You should be allowed to do that.
Speaker 3: So in the council chambers, yeah, no international stuff. But if you want to privately hire a public facility, you should be allowed to do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, fair point. Just counselors, keep your mouth shut. If they had kept their mouth shots a little bit.
Speaker 1: Maybe they wouldn't have gone that far with this. I mean, you know, bager everything up. Stop baggering everything up, will you please?
Speaker 5: It's interesting polling out of the UK on an ethical quandary, which is the idea of having wombs outside of a woman. So we're talking about an artificial womb here that you could have a baby growing in right now. This has been done developmentally in the United States with the aim of.
Speaker 1: It being used for premi babies. That's the aim. That's not to say that, of course, at some.
Speaker 5: Point in the future there will be an argument mounted, well, we should now be able to have children without actually having children in a human being. Everything stuf with good intentions, but it doesn't always end up there. This is from the Telegraph in London.
Speaker 1: They say.
Speaker 5: In a study commissioned by THEOS, a think tank that studies religious and social issues, twenty two hundred and ninety eight people were asked whether they would support growing a fetus entirely outside of a woman's body. So we're not talking about what it's been designed for here, which is for premi babies entirely outside of a woman's body. Overall, only twenty one percent of people were supportive, with fifty two percent opposing the idea. Those who identified as religious were even less likely to support it. Unsurprisingly, while women were less supportive than men, perhaps more interestingly, but it does say all age groups were more likely to oppose rather than support, the idea, apart from those aged eighteen to twenty four, of whom forty two percent supported it and thirty two percent opposed the concept. So I don't know where the young people lining up to say they'd be more likely to have kids if they didn't actually have to have kids.
Speaker 1: I don't think it would increase birth rates.
Speaker 5: Well, you couldn't call it birth rates, could you, because you're not actually giving birth. I don't think would make a look of difference to people actually having kids, because that's economic factors that get in the.
Speaker 1: Way of that.
Speaker 5: But I was really interested in the fact that it said women were less supportive than men of this, because you would have thought logically women might be more likely to say, well, I don't want to go through all the pain and whatever of childbirth. I think what it proves is when push comes to shove, naturally women want to have children. And as much as we've tried to deny this reality in recent times, of course, every woman has to go to work now, and then you must go straight back into the workforce after you've had a kid, et cetera. I think this proves that innately people actually want to have kids of their own, natural kids.
Speaker 3: I think mothers also understand that, you know, you can have a baby in a bag, which is literally what they're calling this technology, instead of a baby in a woman's baby in a bag, and it provides all of the logistical features that would be part of a womb, but it doesn't provide the breathing of the mother, or the heartbeat of the mother.
Speaker 2: Or the voice of the mother.
Speaker 3: And remember when I adopted our children from Ethiopia and we talked to.
Speaker 2: What do you call doctors who deal with babies, pediatricians, pediatricians. They are explaining, you know, for our kids.
Speaker 3: Who were carried by their birth mother for nine months, but they're never heard her voice ever. Again, that's a real tragedy for a baby who's born for nine months have become familiar with that voice. And then we were told when we adopted our kids, don't hand them around to other people because the kids don't know who mum and dad are. They've got to become familiar with your voice because they've never heard it before. And I've never really considered that in the womb. It's more than just the logistical facility that the womb provides. But it's the mother, it's her voice, it's her heartbeat. Is why you hold a baby close to your chest right, and that soothes and comforts the baby because it's used to hearing that breath, feeling that heartbeat. There's a lot more than just the mechanics. Oh, there's the human connection that is really important. And maybe the reason the young people are most inclined to support growing babies in bags is because they don't appreciate that. And don't they say, especially with young men, your brain is not fully developed until you turn twenty five. And as the parent of two nineteen year old boys, I'm sure that is true. Maybe that's why eighteen to twenty four year olds are in support of this and don't understand their ramifications.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Indeed, Also, pregnancy is something that I mean, just earlier, Caleb, you're referring to it as who wants to avoid the pain and that I haven't yet experienced it, but I know many people who have. Pregnancy for many is really really magical. You is the most beautiful, wholesome thing. This is the circle of life. You are literally the source supplying life to the world, and you've got this little person growing inside of you.
Speaker 4: It's not talked.
Speaker 6: Up enough, and I think that's deliberate. It's part of every time you see people discussing pregnancy or being a mother, or it's always negative press unless you're just listening to usually god loving influences online who are like, being a mum's the best thing ever. This brought so much purpose, so much joy into my life. And I'm not surprised that it's the younger generations. It's gen Z that's the most okay with this idea of baby in a bag because they've grown up watching all these futuristic I mean, how many probably don't watch the same movies as them, but how many movies have we seen whereby these babies are being made in these giant labs. It's a whole like Eldest Husk Huxley, what was it, Free World, Brave New Well, that's it where Yeah, these babies are now just pumped out. No one's pregnant. This is how we bring life into the world now. And when you talk about playing god. You may have heard about IVF, but check this out. They're now talking about IVG. You're about to hear from a doctor called Aaron Kerriati. He's a bioethicist, and what he has to say, we'll go get here.
Speaker 7: So many in the LGBT community who want to have a biologically related child. Two men who could potentially use IVG for reproducing a child who's genetically related to both parents of the same sex. The other thing that has been proposed some people have talked about so called multiplex parenting. You could use IVG to create two embryos, use the IVG technique again to create sperm and eggs, and then create yet a third embryo. Now you have essentially what is genetically a grandchild.
Speaker 4: And they murder the two other enbrands.
Speaker 7: Exactly, and you can do this as many iterations as you wanted.
Speaker 4: How's that?
Speaker 6: I mean, it's absolutely unbelievable what they are getting up getting up to in labs these days, unbeknownst to the rest of us. But now you know before we go to an ad break to Victoria quickly now.
Speaker 4: Where Premiagor Center.
Speaker 6: Alan has refused three times to say that the justice system in Victoria does have her trust.
Speaker 4: Check out this transcript.
Speaker 6: We tried to get you the audio, but it was too poor quality to show you, so I'll read it out for you. This reporter asked her today, do you have absolute trust in our courts?
Speaker 4: This, of course is after quite a.
Speaker 6: Few bungles in the courts have come to light in the headlines. She said, I think it's important that we have confidence in our justice system that's supporting the community, and that is why we are bringing charges to the Victorian Changes rather to the Victorian Parliament.
Speaker 4: The reporter pressed to a second time.
Speaker 6: You said it's important that we have confidence in the justice system.
Speaker 4: But do you have confidence in the system?
Speaker 6: Alan replied, Victorians want to see the laws strengthened.
Speaker 4: We've been listening to Victorians.
Speaker 6: It's important that the community does have confidence in our system as a whole. Our court system is working hard. The reporter hats off tries a third time. Do you have confidence in the court system? Alan's reply, I think that it's very important that we respect all of the independent agencies that make up our justice system.
Speaker 4: We need to strengthen the law.
Speaker 6: Just say no, lady, just say no, because you cannot justify what's gone on in recent months. Victorians are sick of reading the headlines. We're sick of talking about the headlines. People being out on bail when they shouldn't be, etc.
Speaker 4: And so on.
Speaker 6: She can't just say, look, clearly changes.
Speaker 4: Need to be made.
Speaker 6: The public's been disappointed in recent times.
Speaker 1: Just be honest.
Speaker 2: I think it's an old ad.
Speaker 3: Don't answer the question you're asked, answer the question you wish you were asked. And she played that to perfection. We're going to go to a break. When we come back, we look at what's making news tomorrow, including a dramatic arrest at Avalon Airport in Victoria, a teenager gets onto a jet staff flight with a loaded shotgun. All of that and more in a moment. Well, the biggest story in the country is, of course, the cyclone bearing down on southeast Queensland and Liz. Most of the papers tomorrow have that on their front page.
Speaker 6: They are, indeed, most notably, of course, the Courier male stay alert calls as cyclone slows waiting for alf The splash reads we're on a nickname basis with this cyclone. Already the four million people who live in the warning zone for Cyclone Alfred have been urged not to become complacent with the storm still very much on its way and still packing a punch. The Gold Coast Bulletin says the Premiere. The acting mayor and police chief are incredulous as resident failed to heed warnings to avoid beaches coasting to a cyclone. I've seen some footage of that. If you ever doubted that OSSI's are a raisy, you won't after seeing that footage. And lastly, the Australians stalking stalling the water torture begins cyclone Alfred's erratic slowdown could trigger a five day flooding disaster as residents in seven thousand northern New South Wales homes were ordered to flee with just hours noticed on tonight, and more than four million Queenslanders braced for.
Speaker 4: Its projected wrath.
Speaker 6: Here's hoping, like you said earlier, Mac, this this is more of a whisper than a scream, but only time will tell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And of course Southeast Queensland hasn't had a cyclone. I think it's fifty years since they had one.
Speaker 5: So's seventy years actually, but seventy And of course that the trouble now is if they're talking about it's not going to be you know, one potentially just the cyclone hits and it going to be really aggressive in one go, you end up with days and days and days of flooding.
Speaker 1: But which is actually worse.
Speaker 5: In that situation if you're sitting there, which are you more likely to put up with the one and done or just dealing with all of this torrential rain coming in because of course the cyclone.
Speaker 1: The wind where you live well, exactly because the winds of.
Speaker 5: The cyclone might rip your roof off or whatever. Flooding could potentially do a lot more damage to.
Speaker 1: A lot more people.
Speaker 5: But of course keep in mind, as we told you last night, the official advice from.
Speaker 1: The Bureau of Meteorology is.
Speaker 5: That if you are leaving your home to avoid this flooding and cyclone, make sure you take a COVID nineteen mask and hand sanitize.
Speaker 1: It with you because you have to be COVID safe. Yes, that was real. If you missed the show last.
Speaker 3: Night, very very important. Let's go to the front page of the Herald Sun. Incredible events at Avlon Airport in Melbourne Airport shotgun, shot gun, horror, terror on the tarmac, reads the headline. A hero Shearer can always trust sheep sheer as they're good people. Hero Sira has dragged down a teenager with a loaded shotgun in Victoria's most dramatic airport security incident in years. Major investigations were underway last night after the weapon, tooting seventeen year olds somehow made his way onto a jet staff flight at Avlon Airport. A security source said there were fears of what was to come. Video showed the moment the team was restrained on the Sydney bound plane at two fifty pm. We've got some footage here that we can show you. That's the teenager who's just been restrained by another passenger who apparently was a sheep sheer on his way to Sydney to watch an AFL game. He jumped on top of the guy and held.
Speaker 2: Him down along with the pilot. And so you can see that there.
Speaker 3: Apparently, according to the paper, this guy you can see he's wearing a high visvest. He's got a tool belt around his waist. He allegedly parked his car near a security fence, got through the fence, walked brazenly across the tarmac, up the stairs to the cabin of the aircraft and said he was there to do maintenance work, which people found a little strange. And then it got stranger when he opened his vest and had a loaded shotgun. Thanks to the quick thinking of that other passenger, he was, as you saw, restrained. God knows what might have happened if that passenger hadn't acted well.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, talk about toolbox to blow. He's a tool clearly, but just imagine the fact he could get through the fence in the first place is really scary, and that he got that close to a plane because you like to think, you know, in the post nine to eleven world, we've got all this bloody security when you go to the airport, so you can't even breathe in an airport without someone tapping you on the shoulder to tell you you're doing the wrong thing. And he managed to get through a fence with a shotgun. But that bloke who put him in a headlock, if he's not up for some sort of bravery award or Australian of the Year or something that is a real fair di.
Speaker 1: Income ossie, is it not?
Speaker 5: Because we all like to think that in a situation like that, we would be brave enough to intervene and do something. But most people I think would be looking for a new set of underwear. If a bloke walked onto a plane with a shotgun like.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't know what to do. Most people would freeze.
Speaker 5: And he said, no, I're going to save all these people on this plane and get the bloke in a headlocked, dead set legend.
Speaker 3: We might have two nominees for Australia of the Year because of course after the break will show a South Australian bloke who absolutely let a guy who is assaulting a woman in Rundle Moore have it, will show you the vision of that a little later.
Speaker 5: I suspect there will be a lot more to come on this story though. How did he get there? What was his plan? That could have been so much worse? Let's go to the front of the Daily Telegraph tomorrow at says five zero civil servants live into state.
Speaker 1: What's going on here?
Speaker 5: More than seven four hundred New South Wales public servants live in other states or overseas, with some of the most senior bureaucrats sorry getting taxpayer funded travel to Sydney for work. Well, some of that legitimately live in border towns that service. Nearby New South Wales Town's Premier, Chris Mins, has acknowledged that too many public servants are taking tax payers for a ride. I'm actually in two minds about this, because it's not unusual in business to have a CEO or whatever of a business who actually lives in Adelaide, but he flies up to Sydney during the week because that's where their offices are. And of course the public service would want to attract the best people. And if the best person happens to be in Adelaide of Brisbane or wherever, and they're willing to travel to Sydney during the week for work, you go, okay, well that kind of makes sense. But then I also think, if you're working in the public service and you're serving a particular state, do you not need to have some kind of connection to that state to really understand the job.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm actually I'm sitting on the fence. I've got splinters in me.
Speaker 6: Bum On this way, we found an instance in which you're open to people working from home, the ones.
Speaker 1: The ones who travel to Sydney. I'm okay with working from home. I'm not so.
Speaker 3: At first reading, it sounds that's ridiculous. But we don't know what those roles entail. We don't know whether it's a highly specialized role where someone living into state or in fact overseas is able to use the Internet to do their job and New South Wales is getting good value. Without those details, it's a bit hard to judge.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you can imagine, you know, someone on holiday in Italy logging on doing their work.
Speaker 1: I'm actually sure it goes on quick.
Speaker 3: Do you hear about that guy at an airport speaking of working from home and soon he was in the middle of a work teams meeting. He had Skype on and he put his phone in the tray to go through the X ray thing while the meeting was still being broadcast on his phone.
Speaker 5: Dear me very quickly before we go to a great Another story on the front of the Telly Tomorrow preachers visa torn up by Burke, a controversial preacher sit to visit Australia to speak at events in Sydney and Melbourne. Weeks after he attended the funeral of slain his BLA leader has An Israela has had his visa canceled and that of course followed Cherry marks and breaking that story exclusively here on Sky News last night. Good thing that his visa's been canceled. Rather curious that it was allowed in the first place.
Speaker 3: Indeed, we're gonna go to a break after the break. Our second nominee for Australian of the Year. A football fan in Rundell Mall, Adelaide saves a woman from being assaulted with a classic AFL hip and shoulder.
Speaker 2: That's coming up in a moment.
Speaker 1: Adelaide.
Speaker 3: Well, a great story about a citizens arrest in Rundell Mall, Adelaide today. There was a football fan sitting in the mall just quietly enjoying his lunch. Port Adelaide fan. And if you know anything about Port Adelaide, one of their toughest players was Byron Pickett, also played for North Melbourne, but he was famous for the good old hip and shoulder.
Speaker 2: He's Byron Pickett.
Speaker 1: He's got a man out one instead.
Speaker 3: So this Port Adelaide supporter is sitting in Rundell Mall just thinking about the AFLCS and to come and his favorite player, Byron Pickett, when he notices a woman being assaulted by a man in the mall. And so what does he do, he puts into action his AFL dreams and he gives the guy a good old fashioned hip and shoulder, knocking him beautifully down. Police are quickly on the scene to make an arrest. The guy was charged with AsSalt and possession of an ice pipe, but the hip and shoulder didn't go unnoticed. Port Adelaide Football Club have invited the guy to come down to the club and meet all the players, and the South Australian Premier has said he wants to host that gentleman in a corporate box at an AFL game between Port Adelaide and Hawthorne. I must say Caleb and I were joking during the break that the guy who caught the assailant with the hip and shoulder was a Port Adelaide supporter. But if you know anything about Port Adelaide, maybe the assailant was also a Port Adelaide supporter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's quite possible, Quite possible.
Speaker 5: I would have thought, I want to see how many teeth they've got collectively.
Speaker 1: What a legiend.
Speaker 5: What a legend again, A real Aussie fan, income bloke getting in there, getting a job done.
Speaker 2: A good bump.
Speaker 1: It was a really good bump. I just wish he was a Crow's supporter.
Speaker 5: But you know, to be fair, now that we've slagged off the Port supporters, most Crow supporters are probably too old to.
Speaker 1: Do a hip and shoulder like that. You know.
Speaker 5: The thing is the joke banning everybody tonight Dom they're too scared to go. I can say this is a crost, but the joke is that it's all nanasu go along to the footy and put blankets over there, knees and eat apricots slice. That's what they say about us, Paul Crow supporters before we go. How good is this? This is a real proper Ossi politician getting around in his ossie car. You might remember the Ford Ltd. This is his nineteen seventy nine Ford Ltd V eight that he has done up Royd Butler independent MP here in New South Wales as his campaign car. He's getting around his electorate in a V eight. We were lamenting recently, James, the fact that there are basically no V eights around anymore. He's got a map of the electorate from the bonnet. Doesn't get any more ossie than that.
Speaker 1: Its brilliant.
Speaker 3: Well, that's all we've got time for stick around Coming up is the readA Penney Show and everyone in Queensland stay safe.