Speaker 1: This is Business Now with Edward Boyd.
Speaker 2: Hi and welcome of Business Now. Thanks for your company today. I'm Edward Boyd coming up on the program. As we start the new financial year, Australian consumers appear to have turned the corner house sold incomes are growing, the Reserve Bank is cutting rates, and inflation is starting to be under control.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: This is all great news for retailers which have been under serious financial pressure. Goohant fall for a morning Start is up shortly. One major concern for both businesses and consumers is the rising cost of electricity. Large energy users who buy power on the volatile spot market now have the option to purchase morning and evening peak futures contracts on the A six. It all sounds pretty complicated, and to explain it, we have Giles Wolgenwitz, the head of energy markets at ERM Energetics. A little later in the show, plus billionaire Elon Musk has pledged to start his own political party if US President Donald Trump's Big Beautiful bill legislation passes. Congress will have an update on that for you as well. That's all coming up on today's show. Other stories today you should know about the new financial year began today and with it a range of changes affecting Australians. The minimum wage has increased by three and a half percent, bringing the hourly rate for Australia's lowest paid workers to twenty four dollars ninety five. The minimum amount employers must contribute in super has also risen from eleven and a half percent up to twelve percent. The amount of paid parental leave available for families has increased to twenty four weeks and it will increase again next year to twenty six weeks. The pension rate will not increase, but the way its measured will, which will allow thousands of Australians to receive more in benefits and bigger payments. There are also changes to road rules, NDIS pricing, Center link index, action power prices, and rebates for installing batteries in your home. Here's the Prime Minister Anthony Alberizi speaking this morning to Peter Stefanovic.
Speaker 3: Today is an important day for the government's priorities, which are July one delivering increased cost of living relief just as we said we would so today an extra two weeks pay perenal leaf super paid on pay perenal leaf for the first time, paid prack for people undertaking to be a teacher or a nurse or a social worker for the first time, making a difference. Importantly, a three point five percent wage increase for three million Australian workers who need that, people on the minimum wage, people on awards that will make an enormous difference to them, as well as measures kicking in such as ten thousand dollars for construction apprentices, the thirty percent reb eight on batteries for people who have solar panels on their roofs to make sure they get lower energy bills permanently, as well as, of course, the one hundred and fifty dollars rebates all of these kicks in today, as well as for small businesses the twenty thousand dollars into an asset ride off.
Speaker 2: Australian Council of Trade Union Secretary Sally McManus believes Labour's proposed superanuation tax changes should be indexed in the future to reduce the number of people caught up paying the tax. Labours proposing higher taxes on Australians with a superranuation balance of three million dollars or more. The tax on earnings above three million is proposed to increase from fifteen percent to thirty percent, and an unrealized capital gains tax would apply as well. Modeling from the Financial Services Council is shown that under four separate scenarios, anywhere from five hundred thousand to one point eight million Australians could end up paying more in taxes by the time they retire now. The government is expected to introduce this legislation when Parliament resumes later this month. ACTU Secretary Sally McManus believes the three million dollars superannuation balance should be indexed to inflation in the future over time.
Speaker 1: I do think it's got to be indexed, and because you've got to make sure eventually people don't end up there, but that's a very long time in the future. I think that asking you know, those people not to get you know, super isn't there to be a tax fraud. It's said to make sure you've got a dignified retirement.
Speaker 2: National property prices surge to a new peak during June, lifting zero point four percent. Prices are now four point six percent higher than they were a year ago. The median value of a property in Australia is now eight hundred and twenty one thousand dollars. The latest home price index report from prop Track shows capital city markets performed better than regional areas. Sydney prices lifted half a percent during the month. The median value of a home in Sydney is now one point one eight two million dollars. Brisbane lifted zero point six percent to nine hundred and eight thousand, and Adelaide prices were also up point six percent to eight hundred and thirty seven thousand. Camber and Perth prices both jumped zero point three percent to eight hundred and thirty six thousand. Melbourne is now the sixth ranked capital city in Australia. Prices increased point three percent to eight hundred and eighteen thousand, Hobart was up half a percent to six hundred and fifty six thousand, and Darwin lifted zero point two percent to five hundred and twenty five thousand. Prop Track says market momentum's building amid renewed by a confidence and improved sentiment thanks to falling interest rates and expectation of another rate cut next week. Well, let's see how the stock market finished up today. The local market it opened high this morning, up point four percent. Most sectors were in the green. Telcos in industrials were sold off and the market did fall at the end of the day. It finished the day down just one point. Medicine maker Mesa Blast was the top performer after it cleared another regulatory hurdle for one of its products in the United States, IDP Education. It jumped after State Street Global Advisors increased its stake in the business to nine point four percent. Litigation funder Omnibridgeway was up as well. Takeover target Insignia Financial said it's still working through the proposal with CC Capital, so it lifted five point two three percent, and gold miner Resolute jumped after Mitsubishi UFJ bought a five percent stake in the company. Pathology provider Helius was sold off. Rare Earth's minor Linus was down two. Pharmaceuticals business Klinnievel was the worst performing health stock. Five er cement supplier James Hardy it dropped quite a bit as well, and the engineering specialist Walley slumped about one point seventy five percent well. The near term outlook for Australian retail sector is becoming more positive thanks to growing household incomes, RBA rate cuts and inflation staying within the target band. At the same time, the imp ployment markets in pretty good shape and your wage growth increases are moderating. So for more on this, I'm joined by morning Stars director of equity Research, Go Hands for Go Hands. Thanks for your time. We sort of said a little in the intro, but why is the outlook getting a bit better for the retail sector which has been under so much pressure for so long.
Speaker 4: I think just the things you just mentioned are critical. So the cost of living crisis that we saw the last two years, we think that is over now for most Australians because real incomes are going up again. We haven't seen that in a while, so consumers are feeling better. The consumer sentiment we expect it's going to lift over the years, so that's going to really help discretionary spending. And you also mentioned inflation's back down. It looks like it's going to stay down, so we're not going to get high high increases in prices really chewing into those household incomes in more. So, all up, I think they'll look for the retails are really good in general.
Speaker 2: Yes, So Australians saving a little more money cash rates. Cash rate is falling, they're getting a bit more cash there instead of spending it just on needs, and now they's going to discretionary retail and spending on things that they actually want to buy exactly.
Speaker 4: So that's what we're really expecting, is that instead of buying needs now they can actually spend unloice the house and they'll really help the discretionary categories that have really been struggling in the last few years. Furniture is a big one that's been struggling hard, where sales have also struggled in the last little while. So we see those those categories really benefiting from what lies ahead. And who knows, if IRBA cuts as much as the market is predicting, that might even further boost spending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we could get a cut next week hopefully, but the retail sales figures for the month of May come out tomorrow. Just broadly, how has re TELL spending been tracking this year.
Speaker 4: So as far this year it's been a bit better than last year in terms of growth. So last year was really the trough if you think about the entire sector, very very slow growth. This year was a bit better. The reason being, even though we had all those task cuts and we had wages going up quite a bit ahead of inflation, people started saving more. So when we had that living cost of living crisis, people really started expending their nest eggs to keep their living standards up. And now where they're seeing a bit more income or had seen a bit more income come through, they started saving more, which is quite natural. But now the saving strait is kind of where you'd expect it to be over the longer term, so that's no longer going to be a headwind. So I think the additional money that households now have, they'll be able to spend that, and they'll be spending that on discretionary things.
Speaker 2: Today's July one, it means we just spoke about the increase in the minimum wage to twenty four dollars ninety five. Obviously a big cost for retails and the superannuation guarantee. But are they going to be able to manage those costs a bit easier this year than in previous years.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think that's a really good point you make. So previously, in previous years that had been difficult because sales growth had been weak. For quite a few retailers, and less so than the 'ptick that we saw on wages, which means they're really getting squeezed. The margins are getting squeezed. They have to find efficiencies or costs evens elsewhere to protect their profits. Whereas this year where we're forecasting is somewhat you know, if you add on the supernovation hiak and you're around about the four percent mark in terms of alley wages going up. We think that hopefully retailing growth will be at a similar level, so you won't get that margin crunch this year.
Speaker 2: When you look at some stocks on the A six two hundred, are there any that stand out for you that could do pretty well in the retail market.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think that some some stocks where they are highly depending on discretion and spending, like Collins Foods, I'm the KFC franchise, the KFC's franchise, or even Dominoes in Australia might benefit quite a bit. Another stock that we think that could benefit is Colgan, and that's that's a stock that's really well placed in a in a in an online channel that's outgrowing all the brick and mortar.
Speaker 2: What about you mentioned hardware. What about the likes of and white goods retails. I guess JP, High five, West, Farmers, Harving Norman.
Speaker 4: They're definitely going to benefit from that from that move, and.
Speaker 2: Their share prices look a little expensive though.
Speaker 4: That's the thing, So is it priced in an art That's where all will's done, back to valiation, and we would say that the market has already priced that into the into share prices, So we don't see much opportunity in those names now.
Speaker 2: If the RBA does cut rates next week and potentially a few more cuts within the next twelve months, I mean, what's that going to potentially do to retail spending in the second done.
Speaker 4: As a or as we discussed earlier. I think that's gonna be good for sentiment. If anything, it's gonna alleviate those those mortgage payments, right, They're going to get less, so there's more money to spend elsewhere. Again, I'll go into discretion of spending. That's our opinion.
Speaker 2: And then the online sector and Amazon, how much more can that company grow here?
Speaker 4: It can grow quite a bit more so this year we think they've grown by over twenty percent. We think that they're going to keep on growing strongly in Australia, but the whole channel's growing strongly as well, so there's enough space for other players like jab Hifel, like other omni channel players, but also like pure players.
Speaker 2: Heart thanks much you time, appreciate it so much.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: After clearing a key hurdle over the weekend, it's crunch time for President Donald Trump's massive tax and spending bill, as Republicans work to meet the president's July fourth line. Karon Kaifer reports from the White House.
Speaker 5: It will be a marathon in the timeframe of a sprint on Capitol Hill this week. After Senate Republicans worked through the weekend and inched a head on this megabill that includes many of President Trump's domestic policy priorities. Still there is work to be done. A weekend Senate vote was a vote to move ahead with the bill. The GOP saw just two defections, a no vote from Senator Ran Paul of Kentucky, who objects to how much the legislation will add to the federal debt, and another from Senator Tom Tillis of North Carolina, who objects the depth of the cuts to Medicaid. After President Trump lashed out on Tillis at social media the North Carolina Republicans said he won't run for reelection next year, hinting he'll also be a no on final passage. A scoring by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office underscored the concerns of both flanks of Republicans who have expressed doubt about the bill, and how challenging it may be to reconcile them. The CBO said the Senate version of the bill will add three point three trillion dollars to the federal deficit over the next decade, more than the House version and drawing the attention of fiscal conservatives and for moderate's concerned about cuts to Medicaid. The CBO estimated nearly twelve million more Americans will be uninsured by twenty thirty four, again more than the House version. On Monday morning, the Senate kicked off what's known as a vote rama, a marathon voting session where senators can offer as many amendments as they want to vote on before a final vote on the bill. And after a final vote, the Senate approved version still needs to go back to the House for a final vote. Remember that that July fourth deadline was imposed by the President, so there's no real pressing need for it to be met other than the president's insistence.
Speaker 2: After the break, energy market consultants ERM will join us to explain why large scale pal uses to become complacent about managing their energy costs and what they can do to fix it.
Speaker 4: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: The rising cost of energy has been a major pain point for all businesses across Australia. The biggest energy users often lock in long term contracts, paying a fixed price for electricity and gas over a certain period, but other businesses buy energy on the volatile spot market, which can sometimes result in cheap prices. But you can also pay through the nose. Joining me now is Giles Woganwitz, the head of Energy Markets at ERM Energetics. Giles, thanks for your.
Speaker 4: Time, Thank you for having look.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the state of our energy market right now in Australia. How unreliable is it when it comes to power generation and pricing?
Speaker 6: Well, we have an aging fleet of call fimbile sessions. I've aout sixty percent of old called fleet is more than forty years age. That means sometimes unreliable boilers and with leakage that means that we have more often than expected plantages, and we do have as well as a compounding effect if you want, we do have the predictability of weather and therefore wind generation, win power generation and solar power generation. Like today we probably can.
Speaker 2: Expect victually no SOUL on the East coast with all the rain.
Speaker 6: But that's not about weather today. This is more about them pretty duty of supply, and as you can expect when you have unpreadable supply of power and the demand is there, well, it means that the merritor oc curved. The dispatch of paces is quite unpredictable. The market to perwa is doing his maximum to obviously dispatch the lowest cost power generators more often than not. Nowadays we have extremely picky days and with extremely high prices. So typically in the middle of the day when it's a sunny day, we may have negative paces. At the end of the afternoon we may have prices at multiples of tens of thousands of mega what hours, so extremely relative paces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've actually interviewed a business owner runs a foundry with a blot with a blast furnace basically and here only turns it on when electricity prices are very low and the rest of the time he doesn't operate his business at all. But is there a better way to manage your electricity costs than just being on the spot market like that?
Speaker 6: So obviously this is an extreme example where this specific business has the ability to flexible its demand and to adjust the demand to the pace. Most of businesses in Australia do not have this leisure. They have a manufacturing plant and the production costs is significance. They can't just shut down and bringing one back home or in some property building, they can't just switch of the air conditioning and lighting, and so the alternative option is to mimic basically what twcty retailers are doing, which is you hedge your position by buying financial products or by buying out financial products on Osian Sook exchange for example. What you do you receive this spot pace and that's offset the exposure you do have on the spot pace, and therefore you end up paying just the price of this funcial. And what we've been seeing over time is those products have not been adapting sufficiently quickly to the new market conditions we are facing. But that's an antility. Way is to either contact with a were Donna or market participate. You participate yourself to the market and you hedge your position by buying those datative instruments, these financial products.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ASX Energy Exchange, I believe there was a new contract that started yesterday on June thirty. That's so this is this is quite a new thing.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 6: It is usually in the all days we used to buy just if you want a base block of those contracts basically twenty four hours as a certain quantity of volume that would match your manufacturing plans, so you would completely upset your spots exposure. But you can understand that Novaday is there are more and more businesses that have a launch manufacturing wolf toop capacity. They build a solar system at the top of this manufacturing plant, so then the load that are importing for the grid now, rather than being flat, is actually dented. So when you have a shape now that is then died in the day following the solar shape, you have a sort of a bustub and this bustub shape doesn't match well with the base block that you're buying. So that's why those specific businesses they may be better off than buying these evening pick products or morning pick products to really target the type of financial products that are paying for and hedging the risks on these shoulden periods because in the middle of the day they will have cheap pies anyway from their solar systems.
Speaker 2: And fasting going forward to twenty thirty, what might the power grid look like.
Speaker 6: By then, well, what is expected by then we will have a higher petuation of solar. We already have a very high You probably know a third of the horseholds in Australia have solar systems on we have an extra but ten percent of energy comes from yaslas on our farms. And then we have we need more wind generation as well, and then you can guess with that all of this extremely intermittent, extremely weather sensitive, so we need to add a lot of storage to be able to manage that. And when I say a lot of storage is because we have a net demand that is dequasing every day and that's really unmanageable by the market to perverto into more frequency of voltage. So we need to shift some of this sot of energy in the middle of the day that is in excess later in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: Charles, welcome, Thanks so much for your time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: To finish up today. Elon Musk has threatened to start his own political party and topple the Republican Senators who are voting in favor of US President Donald Trump's Big Beautiful bill. The world's richest man's clearly unhappy with Trump's Cornerstone legislation, which will cut taxes but also increase the country's deficit by about three point three true US dollars. Musk wrote on x formerly known as Twitter, every member of Congress who campaigned on reducing government spending and then immediately voted for the biggest debt increase in history should hang their head in shame, and they will lose their primary next year if it's the last thing I do on this earth. He also said America needs a new political party. Trump clearly saw the posts because he hit back on his own platform, truth Social saying the Department of Government Efficiency should start cutting the subsidies for Musks businesses like Tesla and SpaceX. Elon may get more subsidy than any human being in history by far, and without subsidies, Elon would probably have to close up shop and head back home to South Africa. No more rocket launchers, satellites or electric car production, and our country would save a fortune. Perhaps we should have Doge take a good hard look at this big money to be saved. That's all for today's show. Thanks to your company.
Speaker 4: We'll see tomorrow