Speaker 1: Welcome, wait to play well.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on the late debate.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Joe Hildebrand coming up tonight.
Speaker 2: How many genders are there?
Speaker 3: Donald Trump knows, but it seems like none of our Australian politicians have any idea. It's all just so complicated. We'll show you a bit of that a little later. Plus, when we look at the papers, Anthony Alberanezi will pay people to do construction apprenticeships in a bid to salvage his promise to build more homes. And Donald Trump urges Vladimir Putin to settle for peace or face economic sanctions. All of that when we get to what's making news in tomorrow's papers.
Speaker 2: But first, let's.
Speaker 3: Talk a little tennis competitors at the Australian Open complaining that postmatch interviews are embarrassing and disrespectful. Is it a fair point or are the players just a little sensitive? It all started earlier in the week when Channel nine commentator Tony Owns went live on air chanting abuse at ten time winner Novakdokovic.
Speaker 2: Here's what happened.
Speaker 4: Back to Melbourne Park where you can see the Novak Djokovic fans there in full voice. Yeah, the chances are quite Exturediny Novak, he's overrated, Novaksa has the Novack kick him in?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm glad they can't hear me now.
Speaker 3: Tony Jones said he was just being funny, which begs the question why isn't he doing stand up rather than sports commentary?
Speaker 2: But since then things have gotten worse.
Speaker 3: Last night, world number twenty and current tournament semi finalist Ben Shelton used his press conference to slam the Channel nine broadcasters.
Speaker 2: Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 5: One thing that I just want to say before we're done. I've been a little bit shocked this week with how players have been treated by the broadcasters. And I don't think that the guy who mocked Novak, I don't think that was just.
Speaker 1: A single event. I've noticed it.
Speaker 5: With different people, not just myself, and noticed it with Lerner TN in one of his matches. I think when he beat Medvedev, his post match interview I thought it was kind of embarrassing and disrespectful of that interview. There are some comments that have been made to me in post match interviews by a couple of different guys whether it's hey monthis is old enough to be your dad, maybe he is your dad, or today on the court, hey Ben, how does it feel that no matter who you play in your next match, no one's going to be cheering for you.
Speaker 1: I mean, maybe true.
Speaker 6: But.
Speaker 5: I just don't think a comment that's respectful from a guy I've never met before in my life. And I feel like broadcasters should be helping us grow our sport and help these athletes who just won matches on the biggest stage enjoy one of their biggest moments, and I feel like there's just a lot of negativity and I think that's something that needs to change.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: To give you an idea of what he's talking about, let me show you just a clip of the postgame interview he referred to there where he was advised by the interviewer that in his next match, no one will be cheering for you.
Speaker 7: Through to the center.
Speaker 4: You're going to play either Jadixina or Alex dimenor you know, like the crowd are going to be on the other guy's side for that, aren't they.
Speaker 5: I know, I got a few people out in the crowd who are going to.
Speaker 3: Be pouring for me too, and then there was this awkward interview with nineteen year old Leerner ten The interview was conducted by former Australian champion John Fitzgerald.
Speaker 2: It was just cringeworthy.
Speaker 1: Have a look, nineteen year olds are not meant to be that good.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't know what to say to that.
Speaker 4: I used to live in new Born Beek, so I know where you live.
Speaker 2: By the way, in the foreset, I just had to pee so bad.
Speaker 1: Well, that makes two of us, lend them.
Speaker 2: Joe and Lizzo. I reckon. There's a couple of things here.
Speaker 3: Firstly, Jim Coreer, who normally conducts these postgame interviews, and he's quite brilliant. He knows the game better than anybody else. He's got wit, and he's got relationship with most of the players, so there's a familiarity. But he's in Los Angeles defending his home from fires, and so you've got people like John Fitzgerald, who as a tennis player was brilliant, but as you saw as an interviewer, not much chop. The interviews as a result have been pretty cringeworthy. But these players need to understand they're not just tennis players. They're entertainers and people don't want to watch robots, they want people who are humanized. That's the point of these interviews. And Ben Shelton to complain it's been disrespectful. It's all a bit of lighthearted banter, I think. And by the way, he's already earned one point one million dollars prize money regardless of the result in his semi final. To complain that some of the questions are a bit cringey is a little bit rich, isn't it.
Speaker 8: No, I think this is somewhat of a culture clash. Americans are a lot more polite, very friendly. But at the same time, watching those three instances by three different guys, obviously on the payroll at Channel nine, all of them.
Speaker 7: Were very poorly done.
Speaker 8: But in my Australian estimation, particularly that one with Lerna Tia and he's only nineteen years old, this is a massive deal for him. And you've got some old Coja has been in your face.
Speaker 7: It was three a m.
Speaker 9: He had just sweated through five sets.
Speaker 8: You want to congratulations, You want to my goodness, you're only nineteen.
Speaker 7: Imagine what you're.
Speaker 8: Going to be like in five years, mate, Not some dude being like.
Speaker 7: You're not supposed to be this good.
Speaker 8: It is interpreted clearly by the people the receiving end as a put down and watching it.
Speaker 7: I think they have a point. I don't know how old.
Speaker 8: Ben Shelton is the one who's raising it, I imagine so also very young. This is a huge moment for them. It's their first Australian Open, it's probably their first time to Australia ever.
Speaker 7: And here we are.
Speaker 8: With not just Novak but O the buttering athletes this time leaving a bad taste in their mouth.
Speaker 9: This is not the kind of reputation we want.
Speaker 8: I do not think that the that the guys doing Jim Courier's job, come back, Jim Courier are holding the torch very well for Australia on the international stage at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I think that's true. But again I think there is a difference. The difference between whether a joke is offensive or not is often the difference between whether or not someone laughs. So you can say no one was laughing, that's the whole.
Speaker 2: Ben Shelton laughed during that interview.
Speaker 1: It was pretty awkward point that, the point being if if you you know, support sort of free spead people being able to have a bit of flexibility and a bit of kind of freedom in the way they conduct things and not just be like robots, as you say. And frankly, all this controversy has actually been great for the game because everyone was watching that Jokovic match, Everyone's watching Shelton, Everyone's watching. But again, what you think is actually offensive is disrespectful, is actually the fact that it just wasn't funny. The joke just didn't last.
Speaker 3: When he said to that kid, he said, nineteen year olds aren't meant to be that.
Speaker 1: That's a compliment. He's actually trying to pay a compliment, and that's right, and the kid doesn't get it. And again you talk about Jim Courrier, what do all three of these people have in common. They're Americans and they are very very straight. Jim Courier is extremely straight. Americans famously simply do not get sarcasm. They just goes straight back.
Speaker 8: Also, is this the scene for again, young people?
Speaker 7: You know that they're American. Heck, I know about the slight cultural divibe we have.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't try that.
Speaker 8: Literally, I have spent all together nine months in the States. If you add together all my trips, and one thing I famously know about Americans unless they're from Texas, Texans, if anyone laughed within the earshot of me being sarcastic, every American is looking at you like she's serious, she's crazy, what's going on? If anyone was laughing without without fail, it was in Texas.
Speaker 7: So no, no, but here you are. They're very young kids.
Speaker 9: Is it really that hard just to have an up vibe about it?
Speaker 7: All? I have never and I've watched a lot of tennis.
Speaker 8: I haven't seen interviewers putting their foot in it like this before.
Speaker 3: Couldn't you make the opposite argument, though, if an Australian player went to the US and then winged about the standard of interviewing because of culture.
Speaker 8: But they They wouldn't though, because Americans would just be like, you're amazing, that's sorry, good.
Speaker 2: For you, Just let me finish.
Speaker 3: If you'd gone to another culture and you complain about their standard of interviewing because of cultural differences, wouldn't we say, hey, you in their place, understand them.
Speaker 2: Isn't that a better no?
Speaker 9: But as I said from the very beginning.
Speaker 2: We need to adapt to them.
Speaker 7: Any culture that's.
Speaker 8: An element of it I think that's an element of it. But as I said at the very beginning, as an Aussie watching all three instances, yeah, I think.
Speaker 7: It was rude.
Speaker 9: Sweated through my sets.
Speaker 7: You're nineteen years.
Speaker 2: Old and getting paid.
Speaker 8: Out of this guy's mouth is oh, you're not even supposed to be good.
Speaker 1: That's a comment. It's like, oh my god, what you're doing this nineteen? That is what he is doing.
Speaker 9: It's the place for backhanded com.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're trying to humanize these people. A bit of bands are a bit of laughing.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 8: I would love to see you, nineteen year old, you having just sweated tooth and now through five sets is three am. I would love to see you too turn around and just be like, no, I didn't see a problem with it at all.
Speaker 3: For one point, I would have had no drama whatsoever.
Speaker 1: You never know, I think the problem The point is there's a difference between something just being awkward and cringeworthy and not very funny. And yes, the interviews will lame as obviously. I mean one of them it's literally a dad joke about a dad. But there's a difference between that and it being offensive or disrespectful or humiliating. And that's I think what the marriage's fartedd got. Yeah, that will lay it if they didn't come here.
Speaker 8: To just be made to feel awkward by these old dudes who are doing a bad job, and objectively bad job. But speaking of doing a bad job, people after Paris Olympics winners of medals both gold, silver, bronze, a post you on social media saying why is my medal pealing? They've just found out that they're not solid gold, silver and bronze. No jokes, but truthfully this is incredible embarrassing.
Speaker 7: Check this out.
Speaker 8: The place that put them together is now recalling them, which is weird because they've been making French coeens and medals since the ninth century, so you'd think they'd know what they were doing by now, but no, apparently they had.
Speaker 7: Some new terrible laws whereby they.
Speaker 8: Had to spray them with some sort of chemical which is now causing them to peel so soon after the Olympics as well, this is.
Speaker 1: A regulations too, so this is Belgium finally getting its own back against France. Belgium may because of our one and now we are going to regulate your Olympics.
Speaker 2: I think the lesson here is they shouldn't have meddled with the process.
Speaker 7: Oh how long did you work?
Speaker 3: I also say, when you're giving medals for break dancing, the medals.
Speaker 2: Are already tarnished. Us the other point on this, but clearly.
Speaker 8: They kept them long enough to find out that.
Speaker 3: They're although they were using to stop them from corroding was apparently toxic. But remember when Olympians would famously they bite on it, right, So maybe if they just weren't biting them, they could still keep using that chemical and they wouldn't have deteriorating medal.
Speaker 1: I reckon that was an overhanging from maybe the Moscow Olympics, where they're going, Is this actually real? Is this actually.
Speaker 2: It goes?
Speaker 3: The medals weren't much better than the opening ceremony. Basically, No, that's right.
Speaker 1: And although there wasn't an exception, I have to say, and that was amazing the last supper that was meant to be backus that had the weird blue fat guy in credible.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, they usual French ceremony, so so French.
Speaker 1: But I just want to pick up on one of your last last statements. The cycling team actually didn't have any of these problems with their their awards. They just put the pedal to the medal.
Speaker 7: Hilarious.
Speaker 8: I used to be I used to be really comforted by how much of a failure the paralymp Paris Olympics.
Speaker 7: Were because obviously we've got.
Speaker 8: The gong in twenty thirty two, so I'm like, well, if we're any better than them, that saves our bacon, right. But no, LA will have probably done a very flashy job in their new LA two point zero smart city by then in twenty twenty eight, so we really have to pick up our sobs.
Speaker 7: But it's not happening.
Speaker 8: Check this out former Queensland premiere Anastasia Paliche. You thought you'd seen the last of her, but no, she's grace people's screens again today because she wants to distance herself from the absolute burning dumpster fire that appears to be the planning or lack thereof, of the Brisbane Olympics twenty thirty two.
Speaker 10: Have a listen, when I left, we had a plan, we were sticking to the plan, and the tenders would have been out now for the Gabba, and the planning and construction would have been well, well, you know, well.
Speaker 7: Getting into it now.
Speaker 10: So I'm absolutely shocked at the state of this. Everything's getting unpicked. I often describe it as like if you if you're nitting a sweater and someone pulls a bit of wool, it's all going to come untangled.
Speaker 7: And everyone is pulling bits of wool of this sweater.
Speaker 10: And you know, if I was at the Ioic at the moment, I would be saying, what is going on, Brisbane, I've got out.
Speaker 7: A ps done right. She's like, I know this is disastrous. It's shaping up to be terrible.
Speaker 8: So I just want everyone to know that I have nothing to do with the mess that is already unfolding. Remember this headline from yesterday where we learned due to their trying to put their budget together in Queensland, they reckon just building the athletes village is going to cost three point five billion dollars. I mean, my goodness, these guys have no idea what they're doing. But Labor has already come back to them and said, well, this isn't our fault. This isn't our fault.
Speaker 1: We sorry, Jenius. Okay, so what they're doing.
Speaker 9: They said, we haven't costed this, we haven't planned.
Speaker 7: It, we haven't costed it.
Speaker 8: We don't even know whether it's going to be villagers plural or just one village. We may have it in four locations, so of course we couldn't cost it properly.
Speaker 1: This is the whole thing, is what This is exactly what she's doing though, and she knows all this, and she is positioning herself so that when the dumpster fire inevitably happens and the Olympics is canceled or called off, or people you know, don't get the bus to wherever it is they have to get to to actually go to the Athletics thing, that she can then say, well, I told you this in January of twenty twenty five and conveniently shift all the blame from the fact that it was her government with her as Premier, that got the Olympics in the first place, or started putting all these plans in place. And the weird thing is when did the wheels actually fall over? Where did all these plans fall over? When did the wheels all fall off? Because it was her successor, Stephen Miles, who took over and started changing everything for almost twelve months after she left, but she didn't say anything during then, and then the Queensland election was just in the end of October, first beginning of November last year, so pretty much all that's happened since then is the summer holidays and somehow over Christmas the entire kind of twelve year Olympic dream has just completely utterly collapse. And this is when she's chosen her sort of moment, you know, the eye of the needle, for her surgical strike. So it's very very very clever politics. But I'm not quite sure I'm buying it well.
Speaker 3: I mean to get an idea of just how much she wants to be absolved from what is inevitably going to happen. She was Premier for two and a half years after the Olympic Games was announced to go to has been Stephen Miles was ten months as premier. David chris Fulho has been premier three months. So she is really responsible for this, but through both of them, including as you said, her success of Stephen Miles under the bus.
Speaker 2: But I mean it was going badly when she was in charge. She said she had a plan.
Speaker 3: Her plan with the Gabba was that it would be knocked down and the AFL and the Queensland Cricket Club would have to build their own new facility at the show grounds pay for all of that millions of dollars while the Gabba was redeveloped. The Athlete's village you mentioned three point five billion dollars, We've just learned they allocated one hundred and fifty five million. So where was the rest of the money coming from. She said the Games would be cost neutral. Of course that's not going to happen, and her government has already racked up one hundred and four billion dollars worth of infrastructure projects over the next five years, which means there's no workforce, there's no materials. So the cost of Olympic facilities is just being jacked up by the fact they've put the Olympic Games on top of an already busy infrastructure schedule. Not only that, but ask Anastasia Paloge, how many cities did you beat to win the right to host the Olympic Games? Liz, you know, none was the one that wanted the Olympic Game.
Speaker 7: The back of COVID. Everyone was just like, I kind of maxed down.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you how the number of bid is that the Victorian government beat to get the netball After Jena Reinhart.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you how.
Speaker 1: Bad this was.
Speaker 3: Right, Steven Miles had only been Premier for a few months and it's now come to light that his cabinet had made inquiries as to what would it cost them to ditch the Olympic Games. They advised it would be around the vicinity of a billion dollars. Now, remember Dan Andrews absolutely flogging for ditching the Commonwealth Games.
Speaker 1: It was like half five hundred million, Yeah, I think it was. Yeah, maybe even a bit more than that.
Speaker 2: But yes, it would be a billion dollars if they ditched the Olympics.
Speaker 3: So they're stuck with it. It's probably not going to be that good and it won't be Anastasia Peloge's fault.
Speaker 8: When you think about it, in this current environment where everyone preaches sustainability, sustainability, I can't believe we still do this every four years the city around the world. Can you imagine the amount of labor, the amount of emissions, all the construction work that goes into building these behemoth stadiums, the athletes village, et cetera.
Speaker 7: Et cetera, and so on.
Speaker 8: It's just so exorbitantly wasteful. I'm surprised that we still do it here in Australia.
Speaker 7: We already know if Australia.
Speaker 8: Were to just be like, hey, can we polish our home bush a bit because you guys did it those years ago, why don't we just use the same facilities they're still there. Sure, we'd still have to fork out a bit for extras. Times have changed, but why don't we take a more sustainable I just think it's absolutely exorbitant. It's eye wateringly wasteful, and I can't believe anyone.
Speaker 7: Is still doing especially when you've got a government.
Speaker 8: Like Palichet's government when she kinched this deal that was very, very devoted to everything green, everything sustainable.
Speaker 3: What's the reason that they can't have it in Sydney is because that wouldn't suit the Queen's Land premiere, who clearly wanted the Olympic Games Joe to say look at this, look over here.
Speaker 7: They end up happening anyway, that all she.
Speaker 1: Done during COVID, Remember do you remember Jerry Seinfeld's famous routine where he's arguing with the rentor car people at the airport where he said, I made a reservation, I reserve this car, but it's not here, and she says that's right. She says, well, I don't think you understand. See I reserved the car, but it's not here. That's a problem. I don't think you know what a reservation means because I think I understand it. Oh no, anything, it's very fad. Anyway. You can apply the same thing to the Palichet government. They know how to get the Olympic Games. They just don't know how to handle give the Olympic Games. So it's very easy, as just very easy, as Jerry Siegel said, to take the reservation. Anyone could just take their resivation. It's the keeping of the reservation. It's important. It's very easy, very much to say, oh, yes, we are going to fund the Olympics with this magical money tree that's rowing in this top secret location and it's all going to be We're going to build a brand new stadium and war and gabba and you know everything's going to be hunky dory. Yeah, I'll sign for it, you know, across across my heart, hope to do.
Speaker 3: That's politics now, right, and then can help me all announcement, no delivery.
Speaker 2: Look at his homes prom So you're going to build a million homes or whatever nowhere near it. But he's made.
Speaker 8: That's government in general, though exactly that is how they always but all governments don't even make that, like all label all governments.
Speaker 1: Over promise and under deliver. But it's a new level, I think, a new level of cynicism where you have governments and these are both two state left faction run labor governments, and I think the left faction part is really important where they actually think they can just gaslight the public so much because they're used to, you know, reading Pravda, that they they just say, we are just going to bare face lie. We are going to like the Soviets used to do, where they would just pretend that everything was absolutely fine, and you know, and and when everything's falling down like pyeong Yang, where you've got, you know, a cardboard cut out of a skyscraper that you insisted the real thing, just you just say, yes, we're going to do this. And they must have known, they must have known, just as Dan Andrews must have known that this was actually never going to happen. And yet you go around using it to sell your government, go around using it to win elections or to win popularity. And then when it all just gets too hard and it all comes crumbling down. You then spend more taxpayer money for nothing, like with the you know, the East West link that Dan Anders did you know? Okay, that was an election promise, fair enough, you followed through. You spend a billion dollars not to build a road, but then again for Commonwealth games one hundreds of millions of dollars for nothing, and again but not for that.
Speaker 2: I mean he won the election, right, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, it was exactly resigned and then that's right, and then hundreds of I don't know how you can. I don't know how you sleep at night with that level of criticism.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, how they sleep at night?
Speaker 1: How they sleep at night? Yeah, I just I honestly don't know how you can. Like when you think about the eye watering sums of money involved, like the amount of cubist that must.
Speaker 3: The Victorian PREMI had all of these, you know, seventy two thousand dollars on a US jaunt and there to learn how to manage budgets, and then resigned like a month later, even leaven the state with record but money.
Speaker 1: Well, even that, I cannot say that kind of relatable. You know that's those are the sort of junkets that were in the Telegraph would just splash on the front page every day. It's like that is a story as old as time.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: You half a billion dollars just for nothing, just for literally nothing, like not oh we went a billion dollars over budget, but here's your new bridge or here's your new tunnel. Just nothing. I cannot get my head around that, And that is I reckon is really something quite new.
Speaker 7: Part of it also is just normalizing it.
Speaker 8: It happens so often if we open tonight being like we're five billion dollars, this particular government did this, Rara, we're messing by.
Speaker 7: They've just absolutely you know what end up?
Speaker 9: Well, people wouldn't bet nihilate anymore.
Speaker 7: It is so common.
Speaker 8: Government inefficiency is just like well, of course they did.
Speaker 1: This is more than just like this is just we're going to spend all this like for nothing, like literally nothing. The air Yeah, I can't, I just got It's so it's almost metaphysical. I can't. It's making my brain collapse.
Speaker 2: And yet the Victoria Labor Party keeps being re elected.
Speaker 3: Let's go to Queensland, where the Queensland University of Queensland University of Technology, I should say, is holding an anti racism conference. Now maybe we'll talk about anti racism a little later. Personally I think you should just not be racist, but apparently that's not good enough. You've got to actually be anti racists. So what could possibly go wrong? Well a lot, as it turns out. Have a look at who they've got as their guest speakers at this anti racism conference. Speaker number one is who's that? That's the mccruorie University lecturer. Lydia Thorpe is another speaker, and author Sarah Sally is speaking as well. Now Lydia Thorpe speaking at an anti racism rarely This is Lydia Thorpe who famously was abusing men in a strip club in Melbourne, telling them that they were stealing her land before she called them a number of other things, and of course famously she abused King Charles in the Australian Parliament, calling him a colonizer.
Speaker 2: Dr Randa abdel.
Speaker 3: Fatar well, she wished for New Years that the state of Israel would be ended. She's been implicated in the docks of Jewish Australians and she led a kid's excursion to Sydney University where children chanted into fada and Israel is a terrorist state, so she would seem a bit of an odd choice to speak at an anti racism conference. And as for the author, Sarah Sala, she resigned from the Australian Human Rights Commission after posting anti Israel comments on social media. The vice Chancellor of QUT, Professor Margaret Shiel, excuse me, She said, diverse views and perspectives in addressing systemic racism align with the principle of academic freedom and QUT is deeply committed to cultural diversity and anti racism. The problem is there's not diverse views at this conference. At this anti racism conference, there are three speakers who have a reputation for making statements that may well be interpreted as quite racist.
Speaker 7: I want to go, are they going to take questions? It would be so.
Speaker 9: Easy to make this incredibly awkward.
Speaker 7: They're like, yeah, so have anyone recorded saying how would you interpret that as anti rasis? Look?
Speaker 8: As a free speech absolutist, I would never advocate for deplatforming anyone, although I can bemoan how unfortunate it is. It is that certain people do get platforms. And of course this is in the universities. It's always in the universities that are already a hot bed of indoctrination, always in one direction. It's never a two way street for students to chew on and figure out for themselves where they stand.
Speaker 7: It's more of the same.
Speaker 9: And I'm especially not surprised that this is our qut.
Speaker 3: I think we do have a right, though, to speak into it, in the sense that I mean, we have universities, We fund these places, so we should have a say as to who they platform.
Speaker 2: It is free speech, but it's also paid for by us.
Speaker 1: How often I mean the thing is And yes, by all means, go ahead and have whatever conferences you want. But again, when Israel academics came to the University of Sydney, security issues and protesters were trying to interrupt them, and they refuse to let them speak, so they weren't allowed to speak. And again, so you know they believe in free speech at one level, but at another level when other people get shut down by the protesters, what do they do do They round up the protesters, shoe the protests the way, call the cops, get them to move them on. No, they barricaded the academics in their room and refuse to let them leave for their own safety. Maybe yeah, So again and again, Sydney and is in a difficult position. I don't want to have to go. But again it is always. Whenever the universities say, oh, we're committed to free speech, and you know that's why this radical left Marxist revolutionary event has to go ahead, fine, absolutely, But every time someone else tries to speak, if it's a Milo Unapolis or whoever it may better, I know, sorry, we can't afford the security.
Speaker 11: I know.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you know we can't, you know, for their own safety. We have to you know, the hockey, the hockey league, whoever it is, can't you know, can't allow Jewish to athletes to come and compete for their own safety. So you know, everyone's all in on free speech when it's you know, anyone but the Jews. What does that sound like? But when it's Israel or when it's Jews, it's like, oh no, sorry, we better you know, for your own safety because all these people are trying to kill you, we better shut you up. Like again, sound familiar any sort of you know reverberations coming from the past that might sort of and I just find this incredibly creepy. And the statement from the qut Crumber Instant Executive directors is, while anti indigenous racism is zlamophobia, anti Semitism and anti blackness have unique expressions there deeply into connected, make comprehensive ins blact blah blah blah blah. But if you want to talk about anti semitism again, it is incredibly specific. There is no other race or religion that is hated and despised on the basis of an entirely fabricated document and doctrine and set of beliefs. That is just bonkers. It's just bunkam. It's just absolute lies, right, absolute lies. There is no you know, there's no other form of racism that says we have to exterminate everyone of this race so that our race, our people can flourish and be pure. There is racis, there's discrimination, there's genocide. This has all happened before. But that ideology based on a complete and utter fabrication invented just to justify the purging, the exorcism, the extermination of a race that is you know, as you know, as the director might say that's pretty unique.
Speaker 2: Well, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: But maybe the reason that Lydia Thorpe is part of this anti racism conferences because if anyone can spot racism, it's Lydia Thorpe. She told Radio TGB this morning that Peter Dutton is a racist.
Speaker 1: This is what Lydia Thorpe has had to say about Peter Dutton.
Speaker 7: Dutton is a racist. Dutton is a violent person.
Speaker 9: Dutton used to be a Queensland Police officer.
Speaker 1: Your response, mister Dutton, I just.
Speaker 6: Don't want to give her the publicity that she's craving obviously just absurd statements and she's a publicity seeker and just don't give her the headline. But I just don't think she deserves promotion. She shouldn't be in the Senate. She's not stable enough to be a member of the Australian Parliament. And I think people recognize that.
Speaker 2: Peter Dutton is a racist.
Speaker 3: The logic seems to be he's a former police officer, so he must be racist. I sure hope people aren't paying money to attend that anti racism conference at QUT.
Speaker 1: Is it he racist because Laura Tingle imagined him in her head at a house auction.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Nobody missed out on renting a house because of the immigrant.
Speaker 1: Laura Tingle's head and complaining about the Chinese buy you to the property market. That's the evidence.
Speaker 3: I don't think Peter Dutton would be I reckon criticism from Lydia Thorpe can only do you goodness?
Speaker 8: Oh well, I would honestly just be responding being like, I'm not even responding to that woman's comments.
Speaker 9: Because, as Dutton said, she doesn't even belong in Parliament. She shouldn't even be there. This woman's a disgrace.
Speaker 8: The best way you can actually convey that message is treating her as illegitimate as he feels that she is.
Speaker 7: I would have just been like, oh, look, no comment on that. My record speaks for itself the end, instead of engaging with it. Then shield come back.
Speaker 3: I'm just like what, I'm trying to think of one constructive thing that Lydia Thorpe has done, aside from hysteria lies stupidity.
Speaker 1: She has had For all the racism in Australia that she complains about, she has had her political career, the most privileged position in the highest chamber in the country just handed to her on a platter, and she has just thrown it back in people's faces while still pocketing all the money or the privilege or the perks. So yeah, I mean, and again, she just doesn't seem to be a fit person. She just doesn't say. She seems to be quite literally deranged. Her thoughts are incoherent, her arguments are nonsensical. You know, I'm sure she'd be great fun to get drunk with at a party, but you wouldn't want to talk politic.
Speaker 7: May not survive.
Speaker 3: Before we go to a break this, we want to talk about Donald Trump and Elon Musk, their relationship being a little bit tested, and of course Trump is doing a lot to try and get ahead of China in terms of AI.
Speaker 2: Tell us what's happening there.
Speaker 8: Well, last week we were talking about how kirs Sama, the UK Prime Minister, had said that the UK was going to be this powerhouse of AI. Well, obviously Trump very much wants this to be a bastion of his administration. Also committing five hundred billion dollars to these tech titans, now, these technocrats, it's very interesting to note the marriage that we've seen form very suddenly over the course of this particular campaign, as they all latched.
Speaker 7: Onto the fact that Trump was going to win and.
Speaker 8: They started paying favors. But we're all wondering how long this marriage is going to last. It's actually very frightening to consider what this five hundred billion dollars is going to go toward.
Speaker 7: These five companies are.
Speaker 8: Supposed to work together in perfect harmony, even though quite a few of them already have bad blood and are bickering over how that five hundred billion is going to.
Speaker 7: Be carved up.
Speaker 8: But what they're going to work to achieve is somewhat astounding. Here's a bit of it from a guy called Larry Ellison, who is known CIA. So how reassured you feel hearing this from Larry Ellison, who is a co founder of Oracle.
Speaker 11: Here he is, once we gene sequence, Once we gene sequence that cancer tumor, you can then vaccinate the person, design a vaccine for every individual person to vaccinate them against that cancer, and you can make that vaccine, that mRNA vaccine. You can make that robotically again using AI in about forty eight hours.
Speaker 8: We're still not over the last mRNA vaccine.
Speaker 7: I know a lot of Americans.
Speaker 8: I would say millions of Americans are very angry about the fact that Fauci has been pardoned dating back to the beginning of twenty fourteen.
Speaker 9: Why is that necessary?
Speaker 7: That's a very interesting answer there.
Speaker 8: But here we are, within forty eight hours of the brand new Trump administration. We've got a CIA asset in Larry Ellison saying we're going to be.
Speaker 9: Using AI amongst other things.
Speaker 8: Trust me, the technocratic state that people have been warning you about four years, it's here.
Speaker 9: AI is an arms race.
Speaker 8: When these countries talk about AI, they're not talking about.
Speaker 7: Oh, we want to be the smartest, we want to be the best.
Speaker 9: We want robots that can wash your dishes.
Speaker 8: No, no, this is in arms race of surveillance and yes, very much related to warfare. So yeah, of all the things to be announcing, we've got Larry Ellison, but Trump is standing next to him while he's addressing the nation, telling them all about some vaccine that's going to be made by AI. That's another mRNA vaccine, which the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal in America just rule wasn't a vaccine. They just changed the definition so that they could call it a vaccine. And that people would trust it and take it. I thought this was the most bizarre move, and I'm.
Speaker 9: Wondering how long this alliance is going to last.
Speaker 3: For well, on that point, Trump believes that this will bring eight hundred billion dollars worth of private investment, create one hundred thousand jobs, put them ahead of China in terms of building all these data centers and computer infrastructure to power AI development. But interestingly, Joe Elon Musk is not part of this investment, so he is tweeting that these tech companies don't have the money to be part of this. So he's in an interesting position where he's actually got an office I believe in the White House.
Speaker 1: He's very much the first lighted with Trump, the first buddy, but.
Speaker 3: He's criticizing one of Trump's big policy those involved don't have the money.
Speaker 1: Would you feel if you were the first buddy and you were a tech billionaire and then Donald Trump gets up and announced his first tech millionaire policy and he's got literally every tech billionaire except you there.
Speaker 7: I think the main.
Speaker 8: Cause for that though that Elon is just like is because open AI.
Speaker 7: There's bad blood there.
Speaker 8: Anyone who knows the history between Sam Altman and Elon Musk, Open AI and Elon Musk, we don't understand.
Speaker 9: There's genuine bad blood there that is very.
Speaker 7: Warranted, and open AI.
Speaker 8: Should be under investigation as far as I'm concerned. Just the other week, they had a whistleblower, what do I tell you about whistleblowers. Whistleblowers don't kill themselves, who apparently suicided himself under extremely suspicious circumstances. Tucker Carlson just did a long form interview with that man's mum. Because Tucker Carlson had gone through the facts of the case and said, there is no way this is a suicide. He was blowing the whistle on open AI, saying, these guys are breaking laws every which way, there is no privacy. This has gone off the reservation in a dramatic way, and he'd left open Aii and he was going to do something about it.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, the thumbnail that he had is missing now that he's died.
Speaker 7: So yeah, not suspicious at all. But then to have within.
Speaker 8: Weeks the Trump administration making open AI Sam Altman one of the main players in what is going to be a ginormous project for many years to come, is incredibly it's more than an eyebrows.
Speaker 3: It's going to be interesting to watch that relationship over the next four years.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news in the papers tomorrow. Anthony Albanezi providing free apprenticeships for people doing construction to try and rescue his homes promise that's.
Speaker 2: Coming up in a moment.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Let's take a look at what's making headlines tomorrow.
Speaker 3: We'll start with the Camber Times and interesting story on the front page, leaked footage. Integrity Commission investigates high ranking public servant. The headline read's inmate allegedly thrown. Leaked footage from Canberra's prison has shown a high ranking act public servant appearing to throw an inmate into a cell while he worked at the jail. The video shows Jason Russell, the Territory's Assistant Commissioner of Custodial Operations, appearing to manhandle a female detainee while delivering her to a cell at.
Speaker 2: A correction center.
Speaker 3: Now, this footage, leaked to the Canberra Times dates back to August of twenty fifteen, so it's almost ten years ago. Interestingly enough, Jason Russell was in twenty twenty two awarded a Australian Corrections Medal as part of the Queen's Birthday Honors list for integrity and his dedicated service in the correctionals area. So obviously those are allegations. That's a video that's been leaked that appears to show that, but certainly one to watch as it is.
Speaker 1: Can I say that was a brilliant bit of investigative journalism you did to doing the deep dive on Jason Russell. But the first thing I noticed was when they you know, when there was a news report of him getting the award in twenty twenty two, was that his name, official name is Jason Russell, but apparently the name he goes by is Jack Jack Russell.
Speaker 7: Good to know. I don't know about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, live has just justice be served and we must get to the bottom of this and you know, say no to violence and all that. But Jack Russell Russell, that's pretty good.
Speaker 7: To the front page of the ODS.
Speaker 8: Now apprentices ten thousand dollars to help em keep job?
Speaker 7: What a who keep job? Right?
Speaker 8: Anthony ALBANIZI will pay Australians to take up and complete construction apprenticeships in a bid to salvage labors from to build one point two million homes by mid twenty twenty nine. That is so soon it's not funny as the government splashes almost fourteen billion on its building Australia's future re election plan. I mean, unless this is the shortest apprenticeships in the world and they can start tomorrow, this is going to do nothing to stem the demand.
Speaker 7: We're more we're.
Speaker 8: In deficit of the tradees that we need to the tune of well over one hundred thousand of them.
Speaker 7: That's we're being told.
Speaker 9: And he thinks that by.
Speaker 8: Offering these guys staggering two thousand dollars payments over some years, apprentices are.
Speaker 7: Just going to line up.
Speaker 8: And also, even if this worked, it would mean that all these houses are built by vast majority apprentices.
Speaker 2: One of the parts of that is the ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: As I understand, it isn't to get people to do construct action so much as to keep them in apprenticeships because the dropout rate is a.
Speaker 2: Stake of the payment.
Speaker 3: To try and provide incentive to stay in yours.
Speaker 1: So and this is something the governments of all postagey've been doing. Remember John Howard had the toolbox because apprentices were getting paid so little they couldn't afford their own tools. It's a great policy. One of the big problems with the huge migration rate is that we're bringing in people from overseas because we don't have the skilled workforce that we need here to build the houses that we need here. This is exactly what he's doing. They will be an extra pair of hands. They'll have people obviously looking over them and giving them instruction and teaching them as you do with the apprentices. Fantastic. Can't punch a hole in it.
Speaker 9: Moving on, let's do deal for peace, says Trump.
Speaker 8: Donald Trump has played his opening card in managing the war in Ukraine, urging Russian President Vladimir Putin to make a deal to end the conflict, like he hasn't been trying to do that for quite some time.
Speaker 7: To make a deal to end the conflict.
Speaker 8: Or face further taxes, tariffs, end sanctions.
Speaker 9: I don't know about that, because none of them have worked to date.
Speaker 1: Haven't we already got all the.
Speaker 9: Oone banks and a lot of other things in place.
Speaker 7: They definitely prepared for this.
Speaker 8: Before they took action, So there's way none of the sanctions, none of the tariffs, none of anything by all the Remember when Macas was like, we are pulling out over Russia and all the rest of the shenanigans.
Speaker 7: It didn't put a.
Speaker 8: Dent in it because you're talking about.
Speaker 1: A country that consists run by criminals with bank accounts.
Speaker 8: Oh sorry, you're talking about Ukraine, right, No, my bad.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, we'll see what happens. Donald Trump has promised that he's going to sort it all out. We see what happens over the next twenty four hours. After you saw what Trump did in one day just the other day. Who knows you could solve it all tomorrow when you go to a break when we come back. How many genders are there? Trump knows. But Australian politicians, well, they are completely clueless all of that.
Speaker 1: In a moment.
Speaker 2: A that age old question, what is a man? What is a woman?
Speaker 3: And how many genders are there? Donald Trump says there are two. So Australian politicians were asked today what they thought Green's leader Adam Bant said it wasn't an important question and he would prefer to talk about other things like cost of living. Peter Dutton said nothing will change for the Liberal Party and just sink to Ellen, the Victorian Premier. She said, the question as to how many genders there are is US style division?
Speaker 2: Have I listened to her?
Speaker 12: We are seeing too much US style division coming to our country and it's the responsibility of leaders to call it out and not respond to it and stand up for their communities.
Speaker 2: Was at school studying biology. I didn't realize he was actually studying US style.
Speaker 3: Division, But there you go. You learn something new every day. Why can't our politicians be like I don't know. The next Prime Minister of Canada a ployee who answered the question pretty simply.
Speaker 13: They say they're gender neutral. You know they're a trans person. Is ask something that you would recognize here? Whereas in the States, at least with their US government the way they're seeing it, there's only two.
Speaker 14: I'm only aware of too, But I mean, if you have, if you come up with another list, then you're welcome to do that. But I'm aware of too, And as far as I'm concerned, we should have a government that just minds its own damn business and leaves people alone.
Speaker 3: Oh for some plain speaking politicians in Australia, Liz.
Speaker 8: Oh for a government that leave people alone, that's my favorite kind of government.
Speaker 9: Speaking of yesterday the ABC, I know.
Speaker 8: We love to rip them to shreds and they always deserve it, but yesterday, my goodness, they made a lot of people laugh when they were in the middle of interviewing Prime Minister Prime Minister Anthony Overneasy and literally cut the feed to Cross Live to feature Trump instead.
Speaker 7: Check this out, Well we have.
Speaker 10: We are taking you to the White House now where President Donald Trump is speaking.
Speaker 1: Would be shocked at We're.
Speaker 8: Starting off with tremendous investment coming into our country.
Speaker 7: How's that from the national broadcast? A billion dollars?
Speaker 8: And they're just like, oh oppm, let's get the president of the United States of America.
Speaker 7: This is way more important.
Speaker 8: Not to mention, Trump was talking for that like hours and hours and hours. I can't imagine that that was even a very pressing, particularly good announcement.
Speaker 9: They literally cut him off midcenter.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm not a man who's prime to exaggeration, but the ABAC is literally hitler. I am sick of this rampant right wing white supremacist racism running rampant through our national broadcaster. That they would cut the feed from our very own patriotic, homegrown he grew here, you flew here, PM, and then just go straight to Donald Trump, you know, and now I think he's building another bloody wall.
Speaker 3: It just goes to show you how much trouble Anthony Elbanisi is in when even the ABC kind of bored with him and think, you know, let's have some Trump something better than.
Speaker 1: Trump on Who's going to be better television? As much as I love Albo, you'd have to admit that Trump is probably going to deliver.
Speaker 9: Doesn't give them over a billion dollars every year?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, maybe Trump was was talking about climate change and they had to you know, I learnt the favor that everyone was going to die unlikely.
Speaker 3: I'm sure if Trump started talking about their only two genders, the ABC would quickly gone straight back to Anthony alban Easy for some news more to their liking.
Speaker 1: There's a real man, by the way, a real man, albou Elbow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's what the Chinese. That's it from us tonight. Thanks for your company this week. We'll be back next week, of course, but stick around. Coming up right now it is the Reader Pendey Show.
Speaker 1: Goodnight,