Speaker 1: I get a team, welcome another installment of the Youth Project. It's exactly what it's called. I was thinking it was something else for a moment, but fuck it. I just looked over my right shoulder and no, it is the Youth Project. Scott Douglas is looking for reasons that might reveal themselves in the next five to ten minutes. He's looking somewhat awkward and clunky. Over there, he's normally looking. He's normally looking relaxed. Scott, are you okay?
Speaker 2: I'm very good, Thank you, mister Harper. How are you today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so great to have you back. Scott Douglas, what's going on? All right?
Speaker 2: I'm very good, thank you.
Speaker 4: I had a fat, fantastic weekend and I went for swin today, so I'm actually quite relaxed.
Speaker 1: And tell tell the good listeners. We're recording this Tuesday, two thirty seven in the PM, which is good because it would be stupid otherwise it'd be the middle of the night.
Speaker 3: What you did on the weekend?
Speaker 4: I went up to bright and I was an assistant to the race director, so I drove one of the cars literally behind groups large groups of cyclists for the whole of the race, and it was without far one of the most amazing.
Speaker 2: Things I've had the privilege I've been involved in.
Speaker 1: Now, what was your specific role other than hanging off the big dog and going a look at me?
Speaker 4: So I had a god named Greg in the front seat, and he has like he's been in charge of Tour de France, of Olympic rides, like he's quite well known and a semi famous boss of that level of cycling.
Speaker 2: And he literally would tell me exactly what to do in a very stern voice, exactly.
Speaker 4: Like he would say, please get closer, Please get close. I need that guy's number. And we would literally do in eighty kilometers an hour. So the bikes are doing eighty kilometers an hour down a hill and I'd be on the wrong side of the road because the road's closed, and I would pull up beside a cyclist and he would take the guy's number or speak to the guy, and then we'd back off.
Speaker 2: And he's like the judge. He's at the head judge of the race.
Speaker 1: Now, hang on, I should clarify because you're a motorcyclist the driver.
Speaker 3: Were you on a bike or in a car?
Speaker 2: In a car?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: And and so you were were You were not there in as a paramedic.
Speaker 4: No, but I was constantly asked about when there was crashes, so I sort of was there on a consulting basis, like do you think we need an ambulance?
Speaker 2: Yes, we do.
Speaker 4: My actual role was to drive the two head judges around the races, which is now.
Speaker 1: What I You know what I find interesting about you. You're a man of many talents and a doer of many things. But I find it funny because you're kind of would you call yourself an introvert, an extrovert or an ambivert, which is kind of you can switch?
Speaker 3: Or do you think it's a bit context dependent? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it's.
Speaker 4: I trust you, so I happily will discuss subjects that I wouldn't trust with I wouldn't trust with other people. I know you're never going to make me look silly, So I happily have a conversation with you, which is the rons and it goes to air. But I don't have to be room on those people are listening. But there's aspects of my life that are no one's business but mine, and I don't want.
Speaker 2: To share them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: It's everyone really, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so, I think so. I mean what I love about you is you are you are? You are a.
Speaker 1: You're an atypical excellent communicator because you have a kind of a weird, clunky, but beautifully creative and interesting way of telling stories and sharing insights and building engagement and building connection in a way that nobody could ever fucking teach. If I tried to teach someone to be you, to communicate like you, I would not know where to start.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes I don't know where to start either.
Speaker 4: But sometimes someone asks me what I think is a really genuinely nice question, and I want to think about the answer before I provide it, so I try very hard to understand the question itself and maybe their motive for asking that particular question.
Speaker 1: You've been really open in the last oh I don't know how many episodes we've done together talking about the trials and tribulations and traumas of being a first responder, specifically with you a paramedic, and the fact that you have or do use a psych I think a psychologist and a psychiatrist. Is that still true?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: And I have an ironically die listens to your podcast Oll I die, she will be so stoked that you said that.
Speaker 2: And then I'm seeing her this Saturday.
Speaker 3: So which ones die?
Speaker 4: She's the psych she's the psych, so yes, and she's loving her. I honestly believe I wouldn't have the capacity to even have this conversation with you, mate, so absolutely, adore.
Speaker 2: I dedicated my first book to her.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, apart from my understanding of course of a psychologist and a psychiatrist, but what's the distinction between them for you in that the role they play in helping you be the best you?
Speaker 4: One can prescribe medication. Yeah, so that would literally is a difference. And I'm literally, you know, in the in the like the open.
Speaker 2: We are now talking honestly about what's going on with me.
Speaker 4: So I have started a new medication which is a trial medication, but for me, it's actually worked incredibly well. And I literally had to have a conversation with my doctor on Monday about that and it was very interesting. So I was very quite hesitant to try medication. I didn't want it to mess with my brain. I didn't want to write the way I.
Speaker 2: Think, or I communicate or I operate.
Speaker 4: But this particular medication for me personally and adotally has been amazing, and it's just allowed me to sleep.
Speaker 2: That's actually why I it stops nightmares.
Speaker 1: And so would it be fair to say that one one of them is more about your psychology and one is more about your physiology, although they're both kind of overlapped, but one's really about looking after your brain and one's really about helping your mind.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I think that's a really good analogy, mate.
Speaker 4: And some of the conversations I've had with Die about my childhood.
Speaker 2: And I don't even remember that thing that.
Speaker 4: She asks me about until she asks me, and you think why, I wonder why I don't remember that, and then you start talking not too similar to when me and you talked about, like me sleeping at the train station. I had not remembered that until you sort of pulled down and then I started remembering the fact that I did run away on a regular basis and sleeping parks and sleep on roofs and sleep at a train station.
Speaker 3: We know trauma is shit, of course, and we know PTSD as shit.
Speaker 1: Is there anything that comes out of trauma that's a positive? I know Paul Taylor talks about post traumatic growth and a few other people talk about that. But for you, forget the science or the academic literature, but for you, as somebody who's like being through it and still going through it, is there any upside to trauma or going through that shit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, your capacity to like everyone's worst day is their worst day, and for some people their worst day is literally smashing their shin on their toeba, which, think about it, that's fucking traumatic. Yeah, that's obviously not my worst day, and you never want it to be a pissing contest. But I've certainly had days then they stack and you go, well, this isn't as bad as that. So you do this comparison thing where you go that job, well, this job is not as bad as that. So I think you build up a very thick skin and you have the capacity to then enter a house. And that's something that we talk about with our students, like students are on how do you walk into that situation where you've done it, unfortunately unfortunately a dozen times before, So you do build up a resilience and I think that does help you then with other things.
Speaker 1: It's interesting how like and I don't think my days and as you said, it's not a pissing contest, and it's not comparison. But I think I've had pretty much zero trauma compared to what you've had. But my potential worst day where the crab died in front of me, turned out to be one of my best days. You know, clearly I don't want that to happen again. But where your friend literally dies for seventeen minutes and they're dead in front of you and all that, you know what that looks like. You know what someone who's been dead for quarter of an hour looks like. It's not a great sight. And then when they're not, you're like, oh, like, talk about a fucking roller coaster of chemicals and emotions and experiences. And I don't know how many thoughts go through my mind in a typical minute, but fuck me drunk, there was about one million going through my mind at that time.
Speaker 2: May I say something about that, Craig?
Speaker 4: Do you And this would be a question to you, do you believe it has made that experience for you, has made you a better person? And my second question would be do you believe your love for that man now is greater?
Speaker 3: Yes? And yes?
Speaker 1: I think I don't know if I'm a good person or not. And I'm not fishing when I say that. I hope I am. But I don't think that's for me to judge, but it certainly certain it's certainly given me a level of insight and understanding and awareness and compassion and perspective about what fucking matters. I think I always had a reasonable perspective. That's not true. When I was younger, I didn't. But in the last twenty years I think of it. But that really just brought everything screamingly into perspective. And yeah, yeah, of course I love him. I care about him. It's one of my best friends in the world. But I would do that for literally anyone in the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree.
Speaker 4: I guess the point I'm making is I had the privilege of experience in that sometimes every other day.
Speaker 3: So for me, it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thought to myself, if I stop now, it's okay, Yeah, you don't do this anymore.
Speaker 2: I think I did a good job.
Speaker 1: So we're going to open a slightly uncomfortable door, but fuck it, it's my show. So when you're navigating mental health stuff, right, and you're trying to manage you, yes, right, and you are you are, like you're trying to keep yourself together and be a good in your case, good dad, good friend, good paramedic, good medical professional, good writer, good podcast co host.
Speaker 3: You're almost a co host now all of the things. Do you worry about getting in a relationship? Yes, do you think? Do you think? I don't know if that's a good idea?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: All the time? Yeah, right, and so when you kind of obviously.
Speaker 1: It depends pretty much on the person, right, Yes, I mean there are a.
Speaker 3: Lot of variables.
Speaker 1: But even if if you've even if you've got all your shit sorted, but you connect with the wrong person, that's going to be problematic.
Speaker 3: Right, So what what do you like?
Speaker 1: What goes through your mind when you think about moving into a different stage of your life or to potentially find a partner or spend time with someone and see if something evolves.
Speaker 4: Well that so you might start spending time with someone and then you constantly have to check in on them to make sure that you're not burdening them with what you're carrying, Like you there might be subjectly flat stick don't talk about Yeah, and so sometimes some people, and I've had this conversation with some of my colleagues. But some people are attracted to what we do, and I say we myself and maybe firemen and police officers. So so I you know, I date females. So some females are attracted to that, and they like they light up when you say, oh, this is what I do for a living. But that's because, in my opinion, they have an unrealistic expectation of what we do. So those kind of people probably would be quite problematic to date.
Speaker 1: How long since you've had a partner, girlfriend, life?
Speaker 3: Anything?
Speaker 2: Quite some time? Actually?
Speaker 1: Well what a year? Five years? It's a year a year, so you've just been dagging around for a year or so? Possibly, yes, anything on the horizon that I mean, I don't know, like, is there is there anyone?
Speaker 3: Is Is there anyone?
Speaker 1: I mean, we don't me in the list what, yes, there.
Speaker 3: Is me and the listeners do not want to pry. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now it's been very very interesting for me. Right. So obviously I retired and I did a whole bunch.
Speaker 4: I went to grief school, which is really cool, and I went away and I traveled, and I spent a whole bunch of time by myself, making sure that I was well and I wanted to get myself well and be a better dad, and be a bit all the things that you suggested. Right, Obviously, I'll come back to Australia and I think about what I'm going to do next. And obviously I was spending a lot more time with you, and then I started spending a bit of time with a person who I realized was very special. And then I was like, okay, well this person is incredibly special, then you need to go very slow and make sure you speak to them about who you are and on the journey that you've been on, because there's a high probability you're still traveling on that path.
Speaker 2: And so look, my biggest fear is always harming someone, you know.
Speaker 1: So that for me feel like I feel like if someone's listening, they're thinking that you're about to tell the world that you and I are in a relationship.
Speaker 3: So we're talking about a woman, not me, right, it's a.
Speaker 2: Beautiful and incredibly intelligent young lady.
Speaker 3: Yes, wow, wow, who might who might that be?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: That's can we mystery woman?
Speaker 3: Mystery woman?
Speaker 5: My harps?
Speaker 6: Oh no, fuck, she's come out from behind the curtain, the typ curtain.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you two that's a fucking train wreck. Stop now, No, don't do it. What are you thinking?
Speaker 1: Oh it's so good? No, I'm just kidding off. Known for a while everyone, TIF, Tip's got a boyfriend. TIF, you've got a boyfriend. Tip's got a boyfriend. How how uncomfortable were you sitting there for those fucking fifteen minutes?
Speaker 5: Relatively? Probably it was more uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Now, what about clunky Mt Clunkster in the top left hand corner stumbling over his words?
Speaker 3: All the charismas seeped.
Speaker 1: Out of his bottom and he was just trying to fucking I've never seen him such a straighty one eighty all building.
Speaker 3: To this moment?
Speaker 1: All right, tell us what's going on. When did you first hang out? What did you like? Everyone wants to know. Did you go for a motorbike ride? Did you eat food? Did you talk about the meaning of what happened?
Speaker 2: We had coffee.
Speaker 4: We had coffee quite some time ago, and it was lovely, and then we started doing other stuff, like we went from motor socle ride and that.
Speaker 2: Was I thought.
Speaker 4: Tiff made an amazing effort because she had to obviously come to my place, which is an hour from where we live.
Speaker 2: Where she lived sorry, And then we went.
Speaker 4: Down the coast, which was a very long ride, and I thought, man, this chick's fucking cool, Like it's going to make this such a massive effort to do this thing that I like and she likes.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but it was very for me, like it was very stressful.
Speaker 4: Well, in what way have you not seen her, Deltoyd's Craig, Like, imagine making a false move, Imagine inadvertently accidentally touching her on the ass while you're walking down the street and your categoric is not mean to yeah, making a mouth.
Speaker 1: Were you thinking she just nice and she's nice like this to everybody?
Speaker 3: Or because there are kinds of nice.
Speaker 1: There's the nice where I'm into you nice like put your arm around me, or let's go on a date, or let's all kiss me on the fucking face or something right and what the fuck's wrong with you? And then there's the other nice where she's just a good person who's really polite to everyone.
Speaker 4: I thought, so when we first started like spending time together, I didn't think we would go on a date. I was very very happy just to go from a motorbike ride or get some food or talk. We would just talk for ages and it was lovely. And it wasn't until much later that I actually had to ask her out on an actual date.
Speaker 3: How did you go with that tip?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 3: Look at you. I've never seen you.
Speaker 1: Talk less on this show, and I've never seen you embarrassed.
Speaker 3: This is the best time of my life.
Speaker 4: I think what was harder, Craig was coffee with you. Once you found out.
Speaker 2: That was fucking scary.
Speaker 1: That's all right, as long as we just got to look after each other and you're very happy. I'm happy as a pig. And shit, you know why because she thinks you're great. You think she's great. You know, who knows what's going to happen, But you know, I think you too are a good fit. And I don't know who I would have said that about, for Tiff, like or you for that matter. But it's like.
Speaker 3: Tiff said to me a few weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Something like I'm seeing someone or something like that, because she rang me at a weird time. I think it was like eight thirty on a Tuesday night. And she never rings unless it's for a reason like training or podcasting or to ask me a question. And she got on the phone and she was just talking about nothing in particular. I could take thirty at night. Well, it's fuck. My brain like is in the desk? What are you doing? Like this is not my peak performance time. I don't know if I can help you, and kind of what.
Speaker 3: Do you want? She has?
Speaker 2: Ah ah, So I've.
Speaker 3: Been seeing someone.
Speaker 1: I go, and my first question was a boy or a girl, because I thought, who knows? And she goes to boy and I go, I know who it is, and I knew it was you straight up.
Speaker 2: She's like, how did you know that?
Speaker 1: I go, because I kind of you're probably both weird enough to be awesome together.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: What does it feel like for you tif to be in a relationship, because I feel like for a while you were well, I don't feel like you were quite anti relationship.
Speaker 5: I literally just had a conversation with the wonderful doctor Bruce Perry on my show, saying that I've never been less interested in blokes or relationships in my life, and it really it feels really nice, very good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so obviously I heard that podcast and then when, oh, that's cool that that young lady's not interested in a relationship.
Speaker 2: That's cool. We'll just keep having coffee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's what about the dance? What about the dance with no pants? What's happening there?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: Hello? Come in? Hello? Anyone? Anyone? All right?
Speaker 1: Well, hey, listeners, just let me tell you they're both falling off their chairs. Will schedule that for another podcast. But I'll circle back everyone, I'll circle back and I'll see where we stand. But from the faces, I'm guessing, yes, here's the answer.
Speaker 3: I don't want to. I mean, I'm not a detective.
Speaker 1: I'm not officially a detective, but you know that I'm good at figuring it out. So I'm just going to go with probably. You're welcome, listeners. They all wanted to know. It's hot. All right, let's let's move on. Well, let's let's talk about other shit. Congratulations, TIF, congrats, Scottie, congrats all silliness side. I love you both, and I think it's fucking amazing, and I wish you fucking thirty forty years of happiness and fun. And the first TYP marriage, I mean, what could go? Okay, all right, jumping the gun a little, all right, the first TYP partnership.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful. It's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you very much, that's good, mate, that's good.
Speaker 1: So what do you what are you doing now other than dating one of my employees, one of my staff who's who's lost all fucking focus and productivity thanks to you, and she's exhausted. I'm not saying refer to question one, what's what's on the go? Are you going back to wa to work in the minds or what are you doing for a while?
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 4: Probably maybe next year, but at the moment that's because I've got a dog now, so and that sounds crazy, but if people are, you're listening to your own dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this dog's taken over my life.
Speaker 4: And that was interesting because I actually got the dog before I started dating Tiff. So I have a dog, and I don't know if it's the right thing to say, but I also have a girlfriend now so so I'm very My life is very, very different than it was six weeks ago, which is such a massive shift, and and it's lovely, Like, you know, the dog's amazing.
Speaker 2: The dog has really been very very good for me.
Speaker 4: And it's a rescue dog and you know, like yeah, so and then I you know, I have.
Speaker 1: You know what you just said, you just said six weeks ago, I didn't have a dog or a girlfriend and I got and the dog's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeh, I fucking know this is this is actually harder than I thought it would be.
Speaker 4: I'll I don't want to say the wrong thing, but no, aspects of my life have changed in such an amazing and one direction.
Speaker 2: So it's really that good.
Speaker 1: And also, Tiff, I'm just fucking with you. I'll stop. Oh, this is the best time I've ever had on a podcast. And what about you, Tip, do you just like, has it changed the way that you think about stuff or in terms of or it's just business as usual, but Scott is in your life now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know, it's it's very distracting, Harps, I'm not getting much work done.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just I just never saw it coming, Like I just had resolved to probably maybe not having the capacity to let someone in like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think it's great. Yeah, I never thought.
Speaker 1: I didn't think you would have a boyfriend or a bloke for I didn't think ever, but I thought for quite a while because you were pretty like, you know, fuck men, you're a little bit fuck men. Yeah, yeah, Scott, you need to get back on microphone. Son, I sorry, Yeah, we heard that, Scotty. You said that you listened to episode twenty sixty four and I don't even know that was Tiff, and I was it.
Speaker 2: It was amazing.
Speaker 1: I feel like, was that very recent? I don't know what Monday I remember? Yeah, is that the one where we're at the end? TIF we went that was maybe the best you and me chat we've ever done.
Speaker 3: What did you like about it?
Speaker 4: I love the way you talked about the whole friendship thing and people lifting you up.
Speaker 2: And stuff like I really didn't like.
Speaker 4: As a listener, I love it, not say And obviously I have the privilege of knowing you both, and I was trying to be very quite subjective about it. I thought I could be, and I actually messaged Tiff and said, this isn't that podcast, mate, or bullshit aside.
Speaker 2: That's a beautiful podcast. It really was. But I just the way you put it together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, thank you.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously I'm a bit of a contradiction because on the one hand, like I deal with really like both you, like I deal with really hard things. Really, I deal with people who are suicidal and ideal with people who have got massive issues and but like I need to have light and shade, you know, and I'm dealing with stuff with my dad at the moment.
Speaker 3: There's a few hard things going on.
Speaker 1: But I think doing all of that, and even having these conversations, it makes you think deeply about what actually like really matters, like what you know. And it's all and tif and I've said this before, it's all well and good to talk about values and living.
Speaker 3: In alignment and you know, but like when you.
Speaker 1: Get away from the fluff and the hyperbole of a podcast, where you can, you know, if you're like me, you can make it sound good because I've got skills, you know, and you can get on here and you can bang on and you can sound noble and nice and a bit clever. But it kind of really matters what you're doing when you're off the podcast. And I think that I think the more that we can, you know, even when I say to you two, like I ask you that question, which obviously I'm fucking around and I'm being silly, but I kind of think I wonder if any of the listeners are wondering if that's happened yet, right, So.
Speaker 3: So I go, I'm just fuck it. I'm just going to throw it out there.
Speaker 1: I know they're not going to answer, but you know, it's trying to have an awareness of other people, like what am I like for them?
Speaker 3: Really? And what is this show like? And what is this interaction like?
Speaker 1: And I think you know, being the kind of person that people want to be around. If that's you, I think you're doing something well, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, And like that's the whole thing of you spend the most the most time you spend with someone as you how about making that person interesting that's interesting for you, then it's a high probability you're going to be interesting for the person that you interact with. Yes, And that can be as simple as reading books or just learning music or listening to a podcast where you develop an opinion about something.
Speaker 2: You look into that.
Speaker 4: Opinion and next thing you know, you're having quite a robust conversation with someone in regards to a subject that maybe you weren't going to discuss.
Speaker 2: Before, which is a lot a lot. You know, this is the beauty of what you guys do.
Speaker 1: And also genuinely being in like really being interested in someone, not just trying to keep the conversation going. But actually being interested in or curious about what they do. You know, I think that that when when people feel like they are the center of your attention and they are actually the center of your attention, there's something powerful in that, And I think, and I don't always do that. I try to do that, but you know, I actually had a meeting yesterday with doctor Denise Vaness and Melissa.
Speaker 3: We're doing a little project.
Speaker 1: And I got off and I was in fucking obrah Iron's windscreens in Clayton, right. I'd sit there for three hours while I've got a new wind screen put in my carts. That's a terrific way to pass the time, boys and girls. But anyway, so I had a one hour meeting and I got off that meeting.
Speaker 3: In fact, it was an hour and twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: I got off that and I'm sitting in this waiting room with headphones on, doing a meeting on my phone, and I was a bit grumpy. I was a bit worried about my dad. I was a bit grumpy because it was hot in this room, and I was a bit feeling sorry for myself. And I came away from that with an awareness that I don't think that would have been an awesome experience for her, and I rang her this I rang her this morning and said, I want to apologize for not being the best me that I could be yesterday when we had our meeting. And I didn't do anything wrong and we did what we needed to do, but I was just aware that I didn't bring great energy into that experience with her, and I felt bad and she was. She didn't she didn't say, yeah, thank god you rang me, because she's like, well, it was fine to me, but thank you. But yeah, I just I care, not from an insecurity point of view, but I care that being around me is, for the most part, a good experience for people.
Speaker 4: I think that's all you could want for yourself. Craig, Like you know if you enter a room and you engage with people like you because I've listened to your podcast and I often say to myself, what is the Scott Douglas experience like for this person?
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago?
Speaker 4: I never would have done that. But literally standing in a room sometimes and go for some people I'm a level.
Speaker 2: Out of and it's too much, And I literally have a dial where in my brain I dial it down a little.
Speaker 4: Bit, because I can be like, I'm nathetic and I've got a lot of stuff going on.
Speaker 2: But then if you can.
Speaker 4: Read the room, if you had the capacity to read the room, and you just lighten it a little bit, and for those people, it's enough, and that's lovely. If you're able to do that.
Speaker 3: How do you know which version of you you need to be?
Speaker 1: And when I say which version, I'm not talking about any manufactured, disingenuous persona, but how you need to show up, Like if you're at a university talking a bunch of second year paramedic students, or you're talking to your kid, or you're hanging out with Tip, or you're on the podcast, Like is that just a natural switch or are you conscious about how you are being perceived and experienced by others in real time?
Speaker 4: I reckon it's a combination of both, because obviously when you wear a uniform, So for me, I'd put my uniform and my tone of voice changes, you know, when I'm teaching the same deal, Like I'd walk into the auditorium and I'd start, and my tone of voice changes, and I have a very different voice that I wouldn't use necessarily when I'm for example, talking to my daughter.
Speaker 2: Because that would fight.
Speaker 4: And you sometimes have to turn it on, like you have to maybe enter a sig suation and go, I'm going to have to use my big voice here because it's a lot. And then you become a persona that people will look to, you know, and then they go, oh, you know, and you might even later on apologies, Hey guys back there, I'll probably said a few things. I use a tone of voice. You needed that done, we needed that done, and we needed someone to take over. That's what you did. Thank you. So yeah, I think if you're consciously aware of it, you can change it.
Speaker 1: When you turn up to an accident and you're the guy, you're the senior guy or the senior person, do you is that a very would I because I've never met that guy? Would I have a very different experience if I was sitting on the fence five meters away just watching you do your thing, saying all the time.
Speaker 2: I don't know who the fuck you are when you do that, and sometimes then sadly you bring that home, right.
Speaker 3: So what would I see? What would I see?
Speaker 4: My tone changes, my voice literally changes, and by the way I stand and I want things done and I will say it in a manner that for that for the outside viewer, for one of a better word, it might have been able experience. But I always say please, and I always try in my students, I would say whatever you say at a thing, because you say an un nice thing, at least you're trying to be plot about it. So, and when we teach that kind of stuff to our students, we say to them, if you can't hear a voice, be the voice. If you can't hear thee in charge unfortunately, make to step in and be in charge. So, yeah, I know who that person is. I'm very happy that they're retired.
Speaker 2: Oh really, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: And so when when you're teaching students, even now you work with students, do you do you go, do you just know instinctively who's probably going to be a great paramedic or potentially a great paramedic, But also then as well, maybe somebody else who is going to be a great leader, were a great decision maker under pressure, or a great problem solver.
Speaker 4: Fantasy question because you know, they get to second or third y and we start talking about those students, we say that person is going to be amazing, And then you track them and they end up maybe on the helicopter, or they end up doing.
Speaker 2: Something and you see them again and you say to them, well, we knew you.
Speaker 4: Would end up on the helicopter, or we knew you would end up in that situation simply because of the way you carried yourself at school.
Speaker 1: Yes, And do you see some people who are academically average but all the other stuff is exceptional and you might choose that person first.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yeah, because I can teach you about, for example, asthma and the country indicators for drugs. I can't teach you scene control, and I can't teach you empathy or bedside manner and bedside manner. As far as I'm concerned, is that that's the absolute crux of the issue. Like you walk into someone's private house in their most private moment and sometimes their most devastating moment, and you have to instill a sense of confidence in them from the very word go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, yeah, you're showing up in maybe the worst moment of their entire life. And then what the next five or ten or twenty minutes is going to look like will be really largely determined by you.
Speaker 4: Yes, And they will remember what you said. And once again, that's what I always try to instill in more students. I always say, think about what you're going to say, because it is that they will remember it forever.
Speaker 1: The thing that you kind of it's kind of a social intelligence and social and situational awareness.
Speaker 3: Right can it be? Can it be taught? Or is it more in built?
Speaker 4: I think that's a very hard question to answer, honestly, great because I've seen kids who are amazing. I'll watch them in simulation and I think, wow, the kids got to know how they got it and haven't done it for ten years. Like you can maybe pick personal early traits where people may have it, but yeah, I will seeing kids who just don't have it, maybe sadly and unfortunately for them, maybe never able to run a big scene because they just don't have it. Doesn't make them a bad person, But on that particular occasion, you wouldn't be choosing them to send them into a bus that's on its roof, Like you'd just be like, no, no, no, that's I don't do it coming in there.
Speaker 2: I want you to be oble here.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, I imagine not everybody wants to be a leader some people might go, hey, I'm happy to just rock up, do what I'm told do my job, be a good paramedic. Scott tell me what to do, where to be, and what not.
Speaker 2: To do, and you can't.
Speaker 4: It's like any situation, Like if you've got to any in a kitchen, there's a head chef, the head chef for the reason, and there's soo chefs and there's commie chefs.
Speaker 2: That's how I see medicine exactly the same.
Speaker 4: There's people that are amazing at a thing and if you can find it and get them to do that thing early, and there's people move traffic. There's people who can console people, and if you have the privilege of managing people like that, you can cherry pick and go. I want Craig to do that. I want Tiff to do that, because they're the roles that you've seen them do very well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you reckon in an alternate reality, you're probably still not too old. But do you reckon, You could be a paramedic if you you know, if you had have done.
Speaker 3: The training and and had that interest. Yes, yep, you're okay with all the blood and guts and gore.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Yeah, I think so, because you know, when I think about fighting, which is obviously very different, but the state you have to be in the state of dissociation in order to perform yeah and deal with yeah, and manage your manage your your state and your emotions and your decision makings. Decision makings, decision making. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: I reckon, you would have been not a bad maybe great first responder, whether or not it was ambo cop. I could see you being a cop. I was going to say, Fiery, what do you do you reckon? She would have been a good cop, mate.
Speaker 4: I think she's Tiff is one of the bravest people I know. That's why I'm attracted to her. She's so the things that she does, the things that she's done in the past, Like for me, I can't help it when I spend time with her because I watch what she does and it's amazing what he does. So I think that absolutely should make an incredible fiery because you have to have that tenacity of getting going again and going again and going again, and you're exhausted and you've got twenty six kilos of gear on your back.
Speaker 2: And you have to walk up the stairs. No one's going to do it for you.
Speaker 4: And I just think tiff would be like, yeah, I walk up the stairs for sure, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: Twelve If you know, he's just made a thousand women fall in love with him.
Speaker 3: And I just did a bit of spew in my own mouth. And it's only because I'm insecure and jealous Scott. It's just I just now fucking I'm in love with you. Now. I want to be more like Scott.
Speaker 5: I didn't stand a chance.
Speaker 1: No, no, he just fucking wound you. He's like Spider Man, except his weber is emotional. He just shot it out of his wrist and just fucking drew you in. Fucking Now, you're stuck in the hive. You'll never get her house. You got that sticky goo all over you. Hang on, what are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Now? What back the question? One? Stop Tiffany and cook Scott. What's your middle name?
Speaker 2: Anthony?
Speaker 3: Got oh? Fuck Scott, Anthony. You know what.
Speaker 1: We're not going to bang on forever, but we will come back, you and I, Scott, and we'll do a normal podcast soon when you've got you, When you're when I don't throw you under the fucking metaphoric bus.
Speaker 3: But Tiff, are you happy, yes, very happy. Scotty are you happy?
Speaker 1: Yes, very very happy. Thank you, well on behalf of the t yp listeners. I'm sure there's going to be one fucking million comments on the Facebook, the typ facebook page, and I'm excited to think about what I'm going to write for the copy for this episode. But no, all still on his side. Well done, you too, Super happy for both of you. Love you both.
Speaker 3: I think it's great and I'm a little jealous that you're both so fucking happy, but anyway, fuck it, I'm kidding, all right.
Speaker 1: Thanks Cooks, Scott, Anthony, thank you,