Speaker 1: Susan Lee cut a lonely figure on Wednesday when she walked into the Liberal party room meeting with just one colleague by her side.
Speaker 2: I was interested watching those images of the Liberals filing into that party room meeting.
Speaker 1: The Opposition were there to thrash out their position on net zero once and for all. And like everyone in the Canbra press pack, Karen Middleton was watching and what she noticed was a sign of what was to come.
Speaker 2: That big group of Conservatives who walked in together, they were sending a message that was not a message of support for Susan Lee. Because if you were a group of people who wanted her to succeed, wanted to back her in, you wouldn't be doing what they did. All right, Well, good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 1: By the next day, the opposition leader frantic cameras to announce what was widely expected.
Speaker 3: The Liberal Party will remove a net zero target from our policy.
Speaker 1: It's a shift that will define Susan Lee's leadership. Raises deeper questions about who controls the coalition and how they'll ever win again.
Speaker 2: Because we know now that gen z and millennials are the biggest group of voters in the Australian voting populace. Now they are looking at climate change with alarm and there's a growing body of research says that they expect there's a credible policy on climate action.
Speaker 1: I'm Daniel James and you're listening to seven AM Today. Press Gallery journalist Karen Middleton on the Liberal Party, the climate, the killing season, the cup. It's Saturday, November fifteen. Karen, this decision to scrap net zero was at a step with public opinion and with science. So how is the Liberal Party justifying it?
Speaker 2: Well, I think we need to be clear this is a political calculation that they're making. It's at least as much about the politics as it is about the substance of the policy. And certainly for Susan Lee, in the context of her leadership, trying to stitch together to diametrically opposed effectively sides of her party on this issue, in particular the conservatives that hate the phrase net zero and don't want really any rapid pace of reduction of fossil fuels, and the moderates who accept that climate change is real and they want the transition to renewable energy to happen at speed. She has taken a political decision to try and pull these two sides together with a kind of hybrid of all positions.
Speaker 3: Australians deserve affordable energy and responsible emissions reduction, and the Liberal Party believes we can do both, but affordable energy must come first.
Speaker 2: I think one of the difficulties in selling this policy to those disparate audiences is that they've got the statement that they no longer support net zero greenhouse gas emissions by twenty fifty.
Speaker 3: And if elected, we will remove the forty three percent twenty thirty target and it's net zero by twenty fifty target from the Climate Change Act. They want to sort of not be actively discouraging of achieving net zero emissions, but they don't want to have a deadline and they don't want to be bound to particular ways to get there.
Speaker 1: So seasonally, you did say she still wants to reduce submissions. What's their plan for how they'll actually go about doing that.
Speaker 2: So they've put out a five page statement on all the ways that they might be able to get better, But they're leaning quite heavily on this idea of new technologies.
Speaker 3: We've talked about supporting breakthrough technologies and repurposing funds to do exactly that. That's what austrai as would expect of us.
Speaker 2: They've still got nuclear in the mix. They're talking about something they've talked about for a long time, which is carbon capturing storage, which is trying to capture gases and force them underground. And they're really hoping that technology will develop so they don't have to take heavily interventionary steps in the fossil fuel industry. But they are still wanting to stay in the Paris Agreement, and the Paris Agreement specifically says it doesn't use the phrase net zero, but it specifically says Article four of that agreement says that the objective is to get to a neutral position with emissions by the end of the century.
Speaker 3: We remain committed to the Paris Agreement and to doing our fair share to reduce emissions, but we will do it in a way that protects households and budgets and keeps our economy strong.
Speaker 2: So there is a slight contradiction in there. They don't want to scale things back at the same pace that the Labor government is doing it. They think that that's been problematic. They want it to happen gradually, but not having the Dea line means there is no incentive to scale that back at pace.
Speaker 1: So with walking away from that zero, what seats do they think they could target with that decision.
Speaker 2: Well, the seats they have lost are the city seats.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The only one who regained a seat from the so called Teals in those city previously baboo ribbon Liberal seats was Tim Wilson in Melbourne in the seat of Goldstein. Otherwise, those Teal seats that they lost in twenty twenty two stayed lost at this last election. So there's still a debate within the Liberal Party more widely as to whether they want to target those seats to win them back or whether they need to accept those city seats are lost. Traditional Liberals are saying, well, we can't just let those seats go. These are our heartland seats. How can we hope to be back in government if we don't win them back. So that debate rolls on inside the party. But they are now hoping they've got a policy that can peel across the board, that they've done enough. You know, it's a tricky task politically speaking, and where are the seats well that will be something that Liberal Party strategists are going to have to work out over the next couple of.
Speaker 1: Years coming up. Well, Susan Lee's leadership survived the killing season. There's no doubt that this is a major win for the right of the party who are fought for scrapping it zero. So is there a chance Karen that climate is the first issue we see Susan Lee rolled on. Could there be other issues like immigration for instance.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the big thing is will she last long enough for there to be other issues she gets rolled on, because I think the real fundamental thing to watch now is whether she survives this debate. She's now pulled this policy together and she has to go out and sell it, and whether that is seen as credible or not will determine whether, I think whether she stays in the leadership. And you are seeing conservatives coming out and almost gloating, you know, almost boasting, taking credit Garth Hamilton and Queensland Conservative. He was on Sky News of the night that they made this decision. This policy was forced through by the backbench. It's been backbenches like myself, Tony Pass and Henry Pike have done all the heavy lifting on this and force this through, and he pointedly would not say that she will definitively lead them to the next election.
Speaker 3: Do you think Susan will be leader this time next year?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not going to go in it for you today, Shari. I'm sorry. I think we've got a huge.
Speaker 1: Confidence in her leadership.
Speaker 3: To say that you think she'll be still be a leader in a year's time, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not going to suggest anyone on that one for you, Shari, I'm going to focus on today's great It was not a resounding endorsement of her leadership, and that says that this is the pivotal issue, that those conservatives are looking at this as a pivotal issue, and that sort of phalanx of conservatives around Angus Taylor and Andrew Hasty, that suggests you're looking at a potential future leadership ticket from the conservative side. And the question really is how long do they give her before they move? And the sort of attitude we're seeing would suggest that they think they can take their time, let her struggle, and then move when they're not going to be seen as tearing down the first female leader Carol.
Speaker 1: What has Susan Lee's handling of this shown about what type of leader she is.
Speaker 2: Well, I think one of the problems Susan Lee has is that she was reticent to put a position at all. So we've seen her step back and let this debate play out in public, involving her own party and not a certain position, and I'm not sure that that's the most effective way to lead in a circumstance like this. There is no perfect way, and she's in a diabolically difficult position. She's taken on the leadership of the Liberal Party in very difficult circumstances after a terrible loss. She always talks about being smashed, and she's right.
Speaker 3: We didn't just lose, we got smashed, totally smashed.
Speaker 2: Nobody else wanted the leadership at this time, so points to her for having the courage to step forward and do that. But having not articulated a policy makes it even harder because you sort of vacate the space, and so her colleagues have then effectively been giving her advice in public, sort of over her head, and she has not engaged in the debate. It was interesting these events this week coincided with the fiftieth anniversary of the dismissal of the Whitlam government and just down the hill at Old Parliament House we saw a day of seminars and discussion about that, and one of the people talking there was John Howard, the former Prime Minister, second longest serving Liberal prime minister. He was talking about those days leading up to the dismissal fifty years ago and the fact that Malcolm Fraser had this hardline position to try and block supply in the Senate, and there have been suggestions since that some of those Liberal senators were really starting to go a big wobbly and that they may not have held out much longer had the Governor General not stepped in.
Speaker 4: He wanted to tough it out there, said he wasn't about to back well, no, but there's a lot of evidence that some senators were about to crack.
Speaker 2: It was what he did say was very interesting in the context of what was going on up the hill because he then went on to talk about sort of leadership. Generally, he didn't use the word leadership, but he talked about the fact that Malcolm Fraser held the show together.
Speaker 4: I didn't think that people were going to crack, but I do give Fraser enormous credit for holding the show together, and he spent a lot of time with people who had doubts.
Speaker 2: And he said, what you need to do as a good leader is you talk to your backbench. He said, Fraser kept in touch with his backbench. He constantly took the temperature of the backbench. He reassured them about the strategy, He kept them involved.
Speaker 4: The relationship you have with the members of your parliamentary party, your backbench is the most important of all and you have to invest an enormous amount of time in it. You can't delegate it to anybody, even as senior colleague. You've got to do it yourself.
Speaker 2: And that you need to do that as a leader. And the implication was also you've got to take a position.
Speaker 1: So as things stand at the moment, Karen, the opposition of kind of like been out of action while they've been undertaking all these sort of internal reflections over that zero meaning that there really isn't any sort of challenge to the government and the alban easy. So what do we lose when the opposition is in the state the coalition currently is in.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's not good. It's not good for government, you know. I say that good government requires a good opposition. Whatever the stripe, the greatest risk of a government losing its way is when there is no substantive opposition. And the one thing that I think a lot of the people in the coalition are hoping that does unite them at the moment, is it that having at least reached a position on this climate and energy policy, now they can pull together and they have something to say, and they have a clear differentiation with the Labor government, and they will try to push back on the way the Labor government is managing the energy transition. And I think whether they can hold that unity and whether they pull in behind Susan Lee's leadership or whether there are still those and I think there are in the Liberal Party in particular who actually don't want to stick with her and would find a way to replace her, remains to be seen. That may be resolved before the end of the year. We do have one more sitting week. We love to call that the killing season, when parties like to replace their leaders at the end.
Speaker 1: Of the charm isn't it charming?
Speaker 2: Little term that one, I know it's brutal. Or maybe we go into next year and maybe Susan Lee triumphs is so successful at prosecuting her arguments on this that she secures her leadership. It's an unknown at the moment, but I do think democracy is a poorer when we don't have a properly functioning opposition, and that is a very important thing as we go into what will be the second year of the second term of the Albanezy government.
Speaker 1: Well, Karen, it turns out that the coalition are into Hybrid's hybrid policies. Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thanks Daniel, Thanks having me.
Speaker 1: Seven Am is a daily show from Solstice Media. It's made by Aniicus Basto, Chris Danegate, Daniel James, Ruby Jones, Sarah mcveee, Travis Evans and saltinfect Joy. Our theme music is by Ned Beckley and Josh Horgan of Envalope Pordio. This has been seven Am. Thanks for listening.