Speaker 1: There we go. We are framing the paper.
Speaker 2: Every couple of weeks we get in someone from the Victorian Police, and every couple of weeks we catch up with our friendly neighborhood policeman. It is super intended. Wayne Cheese Man, Morning Cheese, Morning cheese.
Speaker 3: The morning. Everyone's great to be.
Speaker 4: You've been catching some baddies.
Speaker 5: It is non stop, Lauren, Really, it's non stop. Adding the North, we call it the Crazy North, or I call the Crazy North. It is NonStop.
Speaker 6: Really, But you've been off with the man flu. Well, do you have to take some time?
Speaker 5: I took one day off. I actually took a day off for the first time, I reckon in twenty years. It's a harder being a voice is a bit funny, but I feel better.
Speaker 4: Did you get much sympathy at home, Lauren?
Speaker 3: That's question. No, there's no sympathy from the wife, the kids.
Speaker 4: We're not good at giving you.
Speaker 2: You're better off just having a sleep in the back of the paddy wagon then going on.
Speaker 3: Probably better to go to work somewhere.
Speaker 4: How is the crime going around Melbourne?
Speaker 5: Look, crime is up. I've seen that before. Crime is up. We are, but we are arresting more people than ever. But the demand for police and and to deal with crime is through the roof.
Speaker 2: Now here's my issue, right, because you guys are working around the clock. I just think there is way too much paperwork. Our crops are stuck with. You brought up on the show the other day that if our wheely bin goes missing, all right, or there was footage of a garbage truck the robotic arm picked up the wheellybin, the wheel habin fell in the truck and they kept driving.
Speaker 1: You were telling me a rubbish bin.
Speaker 6: I had to go to the police station to get it. Take from a police like as if you could be bothered dealing with that.
Speaker 5: So we have dozens of people at the counters every day where it's that deck signed, so it takes up our time. The counters can be you know, ten deep, and I have two constables on the counter and it's ten deep all day every day.
Speaker 7: We need a deck shop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pharmacists do it or something.
Speaker 5: So there are people that can do there, pharmacists, so offen we get a bull justice and who consider in the counter they can help with some of the demand.
Speaker 6: It just felt strange to me going to the pharmacy saying my bin's gone, missus.
Speaker 7: Ky cheese. It's a really really important week, this one. It is road Safety Week, and I dare say, as a police officer, you have seen some notorious things on our roads.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, most police go to some horrific accident scenes and you can imagine, you know, the human versus the metal of a car often doesn't go well. So you see some really traumatic things. But what's an important message here for me around road safety is the broader impact a.
Speaker 3: Nasty or a fadale accident can have.
Speaker 5: So you obviously have people that make errors and errors of judgment around speeding or distracted driving, and suddenly their life is turned upside down. There's also the life of their families. Suddenly they might have a son or a daughter going into jail. But then you have the victim side, and it's terrific and the impact and it's a life changing impact really. So you know, we had last year, I think around the country there was twelve hundred deaths on the road. So twelve hundred if you think about that, there was connected to it, and there was forty thousand serious injuries and there were things you know, we harp on as police about the message of concentrating on the road and sticking to the speed limit and not using your phone. But I drive home from Forklom every day and it's about a forty minute drive. People are speeding. People on the phone. For some reason. The message just not get through. But all I say to those people is the impact and the split second life changing moment. The impact that can have on you and your loved ones is life changing.
Speaker 2: Say if you're heading home right, you're in the traffic, you're in your normal car. I can see you in like a little Master too or something, and you see someone at the lights and they're fully on their phone, clear as day.
Speaker 1: Can you, even.
Speaker 2: Though you're off duty, tap on the window time to pull over and book them.
Speaker 5: So once you're sworn in in the academy, you are you are? You have those powers twenty four to seven. Yeah, there's no honor off jr. The decision you have to make is if it goes wrong, I have no radio, no firearm, I have no equipment. So often often what I would do is I might show the police sign that I put on the nash for parking. I might show it out the window and just say, you know, put the phone down. Yeah, and generally there's compliance because suddenly they break out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have a fright every time I see a police car, I thank god, what am I doing wrong?
Speaker 4: I panic? I get really like, okay, am I I'm right?
Speaker 6: When I see police cars on the road, I know people flash their headlights whatever, But actually is a good reminder make sure like are you speeding? Are you doing anything wrong? Because it is easy to all of a sudden go, oh my god, I'm in a forty zone.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it is easy to do.
Speaker 5: So that's why we ask people to concentrate, but it is very easy to do.
Speaker 2: Just quick me back on the parking sign. Can you just check the he was saying, he chucks the police sign on the dashboard when he wants to park. Can you just if you check that little police sign on the dashboard.
Speaker 3: So if I'm working in my official capacity of course, of.
Speaker 4: Course, yes, right, yeah, you can't get pas obviously.
Speaker 3: We don't go in the disabled sign. But if I need to park appointment.
Speaker 2: Chadston Christmas Eve, we'd come in here because you don't want to get in trouble with the with the new boss.
Speaker 7: And you've got oh you got a new boss.
Speaker 1: Hey, can you hold that thought?
Speaker 2: Because I have questions about the new top cop that's going to be running Victoria Police. Stay with us. Cheesey's on the air this morning. Can we can't make a chat about it?
Speaker 3: Next?
Speaker 7: Of course, every.
Speaker 2: Couple of weeks we get the Victorian Police in and we love this man. He's our resident friendly cop. Cheesy is with us this morning. Hey, you've got a new boss coming. We've got a new top cop here in Victoria. Have you met him yet?
Speaker 5: So? I haven't met him, but I was impressed with his press conference.
Speaker 7: Mike Bush is his name.
Speaker 5: He's a key, he's got a wealth of experience. I really look forward to having him with Victoria Police. We will all get a red and we'll see what direction he wants to send the force in and what he'll set the direction and we'll look scary.
Speaker 4: You're superintendent. What is Mike Bush?
Speaker 3: So he's the chief commissioner.
Speaker 6: Chief Commissioner, Mike Bush is the number one address.
Speaker 7: So where are we? How far are you off top job? So you got your chief com you got your commissioner, you got your chief superintendent.
Speaker 3: No, so I'm a bit of a way down.
Speaker 7: So above me doing hunger games. How long have we got to go until you're the the.
Speaker 3: Commander the way Victoria please has gone through.
Speaker 4: Who else is above you?
Speaker 5: There's commanders within the organization. Then there are assistant commissioners, and a couple of deputy commissioners, and.
Speaker 3: Then the and then you, and then brother, I'm too old.
Speaker 4: He's going the constable. They below you, so they begin its constable.
Speaker 5: Everyone starts the constable, senior constable, Sergeant, senior sergeant.
Speaker 3: Is that superintendent far? Yeah? Long tree?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you're like seven from the bottom, And he made that sound like you were right on the bottom, little badges on his arm, about five from the top, six from the top.
Speaker 3: Still a long way. I'm happy.
Speaker 5: I'm happy. I don't know how I like you to, superintendent, really, but I'm happy.
Speaker 2: Is there any I mean, obviously pays and stuff change, but is there any extra little benefits the higher you climb in the force.
Speaker 3: Those those lurks and per days finished off. It's a salary based rank structure, so you get what you get.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's all about the honor of serving the people at Victoria, he said.
Speaker 1: The new statement. You get what you get, don't get upset Victoria.
Speaker 4: The new boss is from New Zealand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he was the chief commissioner over in New Year's retired. She's retired and from the news report, he was headhunted to interview and obviously he impressed the selection panel and he's got the job.
Speaker 4: I saw him on the news, Beautiful New Zealand.
Speaker 2: On the news the other night. He seemed stern serious. Was about scary. But Stern's a good way of putting it.
Speaker 1: Put it this way. I don't think he's going to muck around.
Speaker 5: No, no, So he came across as a as a very serious, smart, strong leader, and I think that's exactly where what we need at the moment.
Speaker 4: It's a big job, isn't it.
Speaker 5: It's a huge job there are you know, they're like, I guess it's like any any corporation. You're the head. There's lots of shoes down within. But you know it's well known. We've got our crime issues. We've got our I guess our morale is shoes. But I think he's you know, I thank him for putting his hand up.
Speaker 3: And taking it.
Speaker 4: You've got faith he's going to sort out the crime in this state.
Speaker 5: I have one hundred percent faith and then as long as we all get behind him, which I will and I'm sure others will. You know, we're we're a bigger organization and we can have impact if we all work together.
Speaker 4: Do you think you're like us?
Speaker 1: Do you think you're come to get him? Should we pick him up for the airport?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: You're with a sign, we'll park and go in here.
Speaker 3: Well you want to.
Speaker 7: Come to Jesus?
Speaker 5: Well, he spoke about being visible and the important of that with leadership.
Speaker 4: So what's getting me?
Speaker 3: What better way to reach the audience and the community?
Speaker 4: So you got were you putting in a good word for us? I will always cheesy, cheesy? What are you going to tell him about us?
Speaker 5: I'm going to tell him that you you three are the premiere number one radio show across the country and he needs to get on board.
Speaker 4: Good. I you that's the messaging we'd like.
Speaker 7: Cheese.
Speaker 1: Now, let's park that messaging because I have a question before we let you go.
Speaker 7: We go. He's got beef with someone?
Speaker 4: Comes straight from mens. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I don't have beef with anyone.
Speaker 7: I just want to know, cheesy, just.
Speaker 4: Say you get to push in the line and drive through.
Speaker 6: Do you get free McDonald's if you show your badge you done?
Speaker 4: What other questions is justice?
Speaker 2: It is National Road Safety Week and we should all be slowing down and watching what we're doing on the roads. And you mentioned earlier seeing police cars out there or just reminders of what people need, could hypothetical.
Speaker 6: If you were doing so well? Do you really want to ask a stupid question.
Speaker 2: If I saw a highway patrol radar set up the other day and hypothetically flashed my lights to oncoming cars, therefore slowing them down, can I be fine for that?
Speaker 5: It's a really it's a vexed answer. So it's a gray area. So you flash the light, you are slowing people down, so you're having impact.
Speaker 4: You should just go around flashing lights.
Speaker 5: And can be charged with hindering the duties of police. But I think that's a rarity these days. Yeah, I think you are available to be charged. But people do it all the time.
Speaker 7: Its me.
Speaker 3: It's quite a good thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's better for people to slow down then to get a fine and keep speeding, to be honest, because you don't even realize when you've gone past it.
Speaker 2: Sometimes someone did it to me and it was just a reminder to go, and I was actually going to spend them, but I was like, oh, I haven't even looked at so.
Speaker 7: Just to be sure. It's discretionary.
Speaker 3: All things are discretionary.
Speaker 7: So lock him up, put him away.
Speaker 1: Like it was a hypothetical.
Speaker 2: Superintendent, why chasmine cheesy in the house of this this morning.
Speaker 3: Good to see mate, No, really, good to see you three as well.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Jason, Lauren, Lauren wake up feeling good following them.
Speaker 4: I'm on the socials.