Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Late Debate.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us on the Late Debate.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Caleb Bond and freyer Leitch coming up tonight. Chess isn't generally regarded as a great spectator sport, but you may rethink that when you see the world number one lose.
Speaker 1: And his reaction will show you a little later.
Speaker 3: Plus, when we look at what's making news tomorrow, Tasmanian politicians reject a massive pay right, that's right, you heard me correctly, they rejected.
Speaker 1: A massive pay rise.
Speaker 3: And the Australian newspaper reveals the extraordinary amount the federal government is spending on climate change every single year. I promise you it's eye watering. We'll get to all of that shortly, but first, is it okay for a man to refuse to shake hands with a woman because well she's a woman. Take a look at what happened Sunday night after the Champions League game in Europe when CBS Sports welcomed UFC fighter Kabib Nugomv to their panel. Now, he shakes hands with all the male panel members, but when the only female broadcaster extends her hand, well, take a look.
Speaker 4: Wow, how are you agree?
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show, apologize, Thank you so much for b in the UFC fights.
Speaker 1: It is a pleasure to have you.
Speaker 5: We didn't know you were.
Speaker 3: Here now could be visit about Muslim So refusing to shake a woman's hand is part of his religion.
Speaker 1: Here's the question. Was he rude or was he principled a man of faith standing for the tenets of his religion.
Speaker 6: Caleb Well, I mean he is entitled to his religion, as we are all entitled to whatever religion we may or may not ascribe to. But when you're on Western soil, I think you have to play by Western rules.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wouldn't go to a.
Speaker 6: Majority Muslim country and begin to tell them how they should behave, and I would adhere to whatever expectations they had of me while I was there, because they would probably expect that while I'm there, I would not shake a woman's hand, And I'll say, that's fine, that's your culture. I'm in your country, so I'm not going to do it. I disagree with that, but I'm not going to do it. And by the same token, if you come to our countries, you should also have to adhere by our standards, and our standards are that women are equal to men. The idea that you cannot shake a woman's hand is rooted in misogyny, and we in the West say that is a bad thing.
Speaker 2: So, yes, you're free to practice your religion.
Speaker 6: But when it comes to fundamental standards and values that we hold, Dear, everyone should be held to the same standard, regardless of religion or creed or anything else.
Speaker 1: What do you reckon?
Speaker 7: I mean, I totally understand what you're saying, Caleb, and there definitely are aspects of fundamentalist Islam that are discriminatory towards women. Unequal access to divorce, unequal shares in inheritance, a woman's testimony is worth less than a man's. There are plenty of examples. But I do think in this instance, one of the rules of Western soil is that we are a pluralist civilization. You can practice your religion and you should be free to practice that religion, and so I think in this instance there are plenty of aspects of fundamentalist Islam that are genuinely sexist. I don't know if this necessarily was one, and I would also note that Orthodox Jews also don't shake the hands women. I don't think that's rooted in misogyny, so I would say it was awkward. It's awkward that he then embraced the other men. But like I mean, he should be free to practice his religion rude. I don't think it was rude. I mean, I don't think he was trying to make her feel uncomfortable. I think this is his religion. And if you want to have a conversation around sexism in fundamentalist Islam, that's a valid conversation to have. But in this instance, he's just practicing his religion. We would ask an orthodox doe to shake a woman's hand, so why are we asking?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 6: I don't care what religion you're a part of. If you're on Western soil, you obey by the rules that we have, which is that we believe women are equal to men.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with that? But what about what others?
Speaker 5: That you should be able to practice your religion freely?
Speaker 6: Okay, But at what point does practicing your religion freely then impinge upon the majority's rights and freedoms?
Speaker 1: I have long held don't have a right to have someone shake your hand.
Speaker 2: That's okay, sure.
Speaker 6: Sure, But if the reason that someone is saying they don't want to shake your hand is because of their religion, and their religion dictates that you can't shake a woman's hand, you can't tell me that that's not sexist and in some way rooted in misogyny. For what reason can you not shake a woman's hand?
Speaker 7: But plenty of people have sexist and misogynist views. They're not outlawed, they're not banned. You might not like it, but I still defend it right religion.
Speaker 6: I never said that it should be in law, but I'm saying we should call it out and say it's wrong. I mean, you can say something misogynistic or sexist on air, and then I can say that's a lot of odswallop. That's how this works. That's what we're doing with him there. Yes, he's free to practice his religion. But if we say that women are equal, then I would expect to see people adhere to that. And if they don't want to adhere to that, why are you in my country?
Speaker 3: Well, I agree that he's free to practice his religion. That's a pluralistic society, as you pointed out, But I don't think that allowing people to practice their religion, demands that we approve of how they practice their religion, and I think he's been rightly condemned. My question is where are the feminists calling this out? This is the bigotry of low expectations. If the Catholics don't allow women to be priests, then everyone is quick to slam Catholicism as a misogynistic religion. But if a Muslim Man refuses to take the hand of a woman who extends it in friendship because I can't touch a woman, well that somehow gets a free pass. It's a bigotry of low expectations, where people expect and allow less from I think from the religion of Islam than they do for other religions.
Speaker 7: Well yeah, I mean imagine if Popo Leo refused to the hands of women, there would be global outrage, like a complete convulsion and meltdown in the West. So yeah, it is interesting to note the silence from some quarters.
Speaker 6: I do wonder where our good mate Clementine Ford is. Clementine Ford's Instagram and you can have an Instagram story highlight like a collection of stories that she's actually.
Speaker 2: Got one dedicated to me.
Speaker 6: So I get a guernsey. But oh mate, kebeb doesn't get one. I mean, come on, Clementine, surely it's a fair go here, isn't it. Now.
Speaker 2: Of course, you may be aware.
Speaker 6: That it has been Reconciliation Week leading up to today. Today, June the third is the last day of Reconciliation Week. They don't adhere to general weeks on the calendar, it would seem, but it runs from I think it's the twenty sixth or the twenty seventh.
Speaker 2: Of May every year through to the third of June.
Speaker 6: But I think it's gone a little bit too far in this case. And I have no problem in saying that as a country, of course, we should all strive towards reconciliation. And let's not forget the definition of the word reconciliation assumes that you reckon style, which means you come together and you settle your differences and you all move forward as one.
Speaker 2: I think that is a great thing.
Speaker 6: That we should all be working towards. But that is not what they mean when they talk about reconciliation. The activists, of course mean that we should divide people, and that's exactly what North Kottai has been doing. Down in Victoria where they've taken it one step over the mark, I think, and have put a sign out the front of the school which you will be able to see on the screen here, which says sorry, and of course Sorry day marks the day that we apologized for the stolen generations, or Kevin radd apologized for the stolen generations, and henceforth we must always be sorry for everything that was done in this country, apparently including settling it etc. We sent our cameras down this afternoon to take a look at this sign out the front, which, of course is it right in front of the flag poles. So as the kids arrive at school with the Australian flag there, they are made to feel like they have to be sorry for something. And once the camera's turned up, the sorry sign was taken away. Now we don't know whether it was taken away because our cameras turned up or because today was the last day of Sorry Day.
Speaker 2: That would seem convenient that it.
Speaker 6: Was taken in at precisely the time our cameras arrived. We did contact North kot High for comment and they said no comment on the phone. But this idea, I mean, you know you're a kid going to school. I mean, the teenagers should admit. It's not like they're the little kids, but this idea is being put into their heads that they must feel guilty for things that other people may or may not have done generations ago. I mean, I wonder if you're saying, we obviously have a great Margrant story. This is that's from last year. By the way, they've done this multiple years in a row. Now that photo, we have a great Margaret story in this country which we celebrate even though they're living on stolen land.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure how you marry those two up.
Speaker 6: But if you're an Indian kid going to school at North kot High now you know you weren't involved in the first fleet in any way, and you have to feel sorry for what someone else?
Speaker 2: Do you? I mean, for Heaven's sake.
Speaker 6: Sure, reconciliation, but why do we keep telling people they must feel guilty for what has been well?
Speaker 3: I mean, the sign begs a number of questions. Right, firstly, sorry for what, Second, sorry on behalf of whom?
Speaker 1: And third sorry to who exactly?
Speaker 3: And this is counterproductive because you're teaching kids two things that kids should not be taught. Number one, you're teaching them collective guilt, and there's nothing worse than collective guilt that you are guilty of the sins of your father and his father and his father. Western civilization moved away from that, and that's what helped Western civilization become great. We rejected the idea of collective guilt. And the second thing they're teaching kids through gestures like this is to make empty, meaningless gestures, as if somehow they are accomplishing something quite profound. Sticking a sorry sign on the grass out the front in front of the flag pole and then hurriedly removing it when cameras turn up does nothing to change a single indigenous life. Somehow, kids are taught that if you make these empty gestures, you're making a difference. And I think it's a dangerous thing to teach young people. That's not how you change the world. It's not how you make a difference. And collective guilt, as I said, is an evil that I thought we'd move beyond.
Speaker 7: Yeah, look, it's all performative activism. I see this among my friends all well, most of them aren't really my friends, but I see this among my age group quite a bit. People will have their little bios on Instagram and instead of saying they're from Sydney, they'll say Eora on stolen Land or Gadigul or num And it's just like, what are you actually accomplishing here?
Speaker 5: It really doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 7: And I also think just the bombarding young people with guilt about something they can't control and they had.
Speaker 5: No part of. I mean, what is this doing?
Speaker 7: How is this helping our nation move forward towards reconciliation? As you say, Caleb, who will reconciling here? It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: As part of their reconciliation plan at the school, they had students watch an eight minute video of the former police chief make a groveling apology for the stolen generations, and so they had kids sit in class and watch that eight minute video. I'm just not sure how that brings people together when you're continually pushing one side of the story, and that is the wrongs that were done years ago that these young people have nothing to do with. And as you said, many of these kids in a city Melbourne probably weren't even born in this country as immigrants.
Speaker 6: I think we've reached a point now where we need to be honest about what this is really all about, and it's not about reconciliation. Reconciliation is a misnomer.
Speaker 2: Continually.
Speaker 6: What is pushed is an US and them idea that you the white man, and then everyone else who's come after the white man has committed terrible atrocity, atrocities and you must home for them forever. I mean, there is no end timeline, seemingly to the point at which we reach reconciliation, because the activists don't really want to reach reconciliation. They want an admission that the settlement of Australia was wrong. And once you admit that the settlement of Australia was wrong, you open yourself up to reparations and land back and all these other things. That is the ultimate end goal. It's not, as I said before, that the dictionary definition of reconciliation to reconcile, to come together and settle your differences, is not the end aim of this. And does anyone talk about the fact that when the British came out here, that the people who were sent out were charged to treat Aboriginal people as British subjects. I mean, I have at home and South Australia is a free setless state, so it's slightly different to the convict states. But I have the Proclamation of South Australia on my wall at home. I look at it every morning when I have a cup of coffee, and it says explicitly on there that the people, the Aboriginal people who were found in South Australia were to be treated as British subjects as though they were any other person who was moving to settle South Australia. So there was no intent for a genocide, there was no intent to kill people. They were sent out he to settle peacefully. Do you reckon the kids are being told about that? No, of course not, because it's not about reconciliation, it's about division.
Speaker 2: They should call it division well.
Speaker 7: And there's no doubt that there definitely was discrimination against Indigenous people and that was absolutely terrible and the repercussions are probably still being felt in communities today. But that doesn't mean we continually have to live in this guilt of things we can't change. Let's focus on practical ways to move forward. At another kindergarten in Victoria, a local council has come under fire for a pamphlet promoting this kindergarten. On the pamphlet, proudly on the front was displayed the prime flag, the Indigenous flag, the Torres Strait Island flag, but notably missing was the Australian flag. One ratepayer said, now it appears the council's kindergarten acknowledges the gay, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, as evidenced by eliminating the Australian flag, which represents all of us from the official paperwork. Does that mean the rest of us are exempt from rates? I mean, I think that's a pretty fair question. I understand presenting other symbols under certain circumstances, but removing the Australian flag seems like a deliberate political point to I don't know, eraise our national identity.
Speaker 3: It would seem fairly deliberate at the Council's job to collect rubbish, not distribute it. The mayor, Anthony Marsh, he said he was appalled by this brochure and he's investigating, and maybe he is.
Speaker 1: I'll take him at his word.
Speaker 3: However, he has previously made a big deal about the fact that the council is flying the Pride flag out front of the chambers for International Day against Homophobia and every other sort of phobia. So he certainly committed to pushing those sorts of agendas. Back in twenty twenty three, there's an interesting incident at this very council where a female council member objected to the fact that they were flying a Pride flag and she was sent for personal development and banned from speaking to other council staff until she had finished that re education. So you know, the mayor says, oh, that he's appalled and he's investigating. But this is a council that has been pushing the LGBTQ agenda.
Speaker 1: And if you want to push the agenda, that's fine.
Speaker 3: The issue is council members are paid by rate payers to do the normal sorts of things that councils would do, not to push different ideologies, and certainly not on three and four year olds. I would say this, If Anthony Marsh the mayor, is appalled by this brochure that's gone out on the council dime, and he's investigating to find out how it happened, will we ever be made aware of who did this and who was promoting this to kindikits.
Speaker 2: Well, I should hope.
Speaker 6: So. I do find it curious that you say councils are meant to collect rubbish, not distributed. I would say councils are probably some of the greatest distributors of rubbish in this country and point and to be fair to the council, and I mean the elected members of the council, none of them would have had any idea that this leaflet was being put together. It's been done by a staff member who's obviously got some responsibility for the kindergarten. And then when the elected members have been made aware of it that the mayor has come out said he will do something about it. So good on him, and let's hope all of that is done. But I can't get my head around why exactly those flags were there in the first any of them, to be perfectly honest, I mean, if you're selling a kindergarten or places in the kindergarten, I mean I'm not looking at the front of it, not that I have children in that position, I wouldn't be looking at the front of the leaflet for the kindergarten.
Speaker 2: Where's the flag?
Speaker 6: I can only send my kid here if it's got a flag on the front. I mean, I want to open the thing up and find out that they're going to do a good job.
Speaker 2: For my kid. I don't particularly give a toss about any flags.
Speaker 6: So you then have to say, Okay, if you've made a conscious decision to put some flags on the front, you must have done it for a reason. You've not put the Australian flag there, so you know, we'll read into that whatever you want.
Speaker 2: But you have deliberately put the Pride flag, the Aboriginal flag in the Torres Straight Islander flag.
Speaker 6: So is the suggestion that we are an inclusive place, and we are inclusive of LGBTIQA plus and Aboriginal and Torros Straight Island are people.
Speaker 2: They're three to five year olds.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's not relevant. It's completely irrelevant. Certainly on the point of the Pride flag. It's completely irrelevant because they're three to five years old. Is it a message that that's what we're going to teach them about?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Perhaps it expands upon that. But if the purpose.
Speaker 6: Of having the Aboriginal and the Torys Straight Islander flag is to say that we are accepting, tolerant of indigenous people. Where's the Indian flag and the Pakistani flag and the Schlangan flag and the Bangladeshi flag and the Argentinian flag? I mean, is this to say that this kindergarten is exclusive of Argentinian children, that it will discriminate against them if their parents dare to enroll them there? What is the point of the flags being there in the first place, That's the bit I would like to understand, unless they're trying.
Speaker 2: To make some weird political point. But again, what you got to do with three to five.
Speaker 3: Year olds having listened to you speak there, Maybe we should be thanking whoever designed this brochure for designing it in the way they did, because it's an alert to all parents. If you said you said you are Kady in the Mornington Peninsula, this is the kind of stuff they're going to think is appropriate for three to four year olds.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: After October seven, there was a lot of anti Israel sentiment that went into anti semitism, just outright and ground zero for that were universities, Sydney University not least among them. For two months there was a permanent pro Palestinian encampment on the campus that meant Jewish students feared going to class. Many of them stayed home rather than going to lectures because they felt unsafe. So the university has spent four hundred and forty one thousand dollars reviewing how they could do things differently to combat anti Semitism. Gee, for half a million dollars, you'd think, wow, what could we do? Maybe don't allow an encampment on the student grounds stopping students from getting to class. Anyway, They've come up with five revised policies, one of which is actually a pretty good idea. They've decided to end what's commonly known as lecture bashing.
Speaker 1: That's the practice, and I'll get Freyer.
Speaker 3: To explain it to us in a moment, because you're more recently out of university than i am.
Speaker 1: Freyer.
Speaker 3: But this is the practice of before or after a lecture. The lecture up gives an open forum to a student to then make a political speech on all manner of things not necessarily related to the subjects. Students have paid to sit in that lecture theater and learn. And many of these student bashings or lecture bashings have been quite provocative.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly, And that's kind of what happens these socialist activists. It's always the same ten or fifteen socialists who come into these lectures and basically yell at you about whatever social justice cause is of the day. But obviously last eighteen months it's all been about demonizing Israel, and they will come into your lecture theater whether or not the lecturer wants them to. In fact, check out this case where the lecturer did not want these protests to come in, yet they came in. Anyway, if you're opposed to the genocide in Palestine, you know there's a ralliant Thursday one PIO.
Speaker 6: You can come along to that one.
Speaker 7: Instead of letting these absolute idiots yell at that class about pro Palestinian rallies, the guy the lecturer just started playing Beyond Sy to shut them up. I think that's an absolutely amazing response, really, But there is a deeper problem here that I don't think banning lecture bashing is really going to solve, and that is that our universities have been captured by radical, radical activists. I went back to my alma mater a couple of weeks ago for an event where people got to put on VR headsets that depict October seven, and as I was leaving the event, this is the greeting I got from some very tolerant left wing activists.
Speaker 5: Shime on you, Oh it's you mine. Wow wow wow wow.
Speaker 7: And then they proceeded to follow me and my dad.
Speaker 5: It was just insane.
Speaker 7: They were waiting out there for the full duration of the event, like three hours. I mean, the first thing we learn is none of these people have jobs or really care about their studies, because they have all the time in the world to harass people.
Speaker 5: But it is just crazy, and so I don't know what it will take.
Speaker 7: For the university to truly root out all these anti Semitic activists, but it seriously is ground zero for the general collapse in social fabric that we're witnessing across the country.
Speaker 6: I just find the whole concept rather bizarre. I mean, putting aside the content of what they're saying. I mean, they could be talking about the regulation of farm equipment in US bigger Stan for all I care. Who gives you the right to stand up in front of a captured audience, I mean, talk about whatever your pet project is. I mean they're there to learn, presumably that's what they are paying fees for. That's what the taxpayer for many of these cases is paying their fees upfront in terms of hex and then they'll pay it back later. For of course, the taxpayer also gives other significant funding to universities, and we do that because we expect that students will be churned out on the other side with skills that will be helpful to this nation and instead they're going off to UNI.
Speaker 2: And the unie says, yeah, it's all.
Speaker 6: Right, you can have the soapbox, stand up and talk about whatever the hell you want.
Speaker 2: Well, that's not what it's for.
Speaker 6: I understand that unis of places should be places of free speech and debate, and nothing should be off the table. It's all up for discussion, but not when the lecture is going on.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you want to stand on the front.
Speaker 6: Lawn and bleed about whatever your issue is, that's fine. That's what the town square is about. But the town square doesn't extend into a captive audience. You have a right to say what you want to say, but you don't have a right to a captive audience that can't just get up and walk out.
Speaker 3: So Mark Scott, the Vice Chancell's made a good decision on this bat and the practice. But of course the student Representative Council they're up in arms saying it impinges on the long history of political debate at Sydney University, which is kind of ironic since it was only a few weeks ago that the student union held a meeting to debate the definition of anti Semitism, and when a Jew got up to speak about it, a huge number of people in the room all turned their backs on the speaker at the student Union or Representative Council, So I'm not sure how their commitment to political debate is reflected in that Caleb.
Speaker 6: It's all good when it goes your way, speaking of political debate and matters of religion and free speech. A shocking case out of the UK overnight, we're bloken by the name of Hamid Koskin has been convicted found guilty of a religiously aggravated public order offense. This is blasphemy laws by any other name.
Speaker 2: Now. His offense was to back.
Speaker 6: In February, he is from Turkey himself, to go out the front of the Twokish embassy and burn a copy of the Quran which he was waving around and saying f Islam, Islam is a religion of terrorism, and Quran is burning. He was protesting against President Erduan in Turkey, who he says is running.
Speaker 2: An Islamist regime.
Speaker 6: He was attacked by another man in the process of staging this protest, but he was then arrested, taken off, gets his day in court, and he's told the offense is not that he sets something on fire in a public place, and I would understand that we don't want people going around starting fires in public places, but it was specifically aggravated motivated by religion. And the judge in fact said in this case that one of the aggravating circumstances was not just that he had a hatred of Islam, but by extension, that means that he has a hatred of Islamic people. And so the display that he put on his peaceful protest, because of course he didn't hurt anyone, was somehow discriminatory, and he has now been convicted essentially of a form of blasphemy.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 6: Again, find him whatever for starting fires in public places, But what does it matter what he set fire.
Speaker 3: To that the irony is that he was attacked as he burned the Qur'an, and he was attacked by a guy with a knife who allegedly stabbed him and allegedly kicked him when he was on the ground. The attacker, do you think he's been to court yet?
Speaker 1: Not yet.
Speaker 3: He's walking around free on bail. He's not due in court for another two years.
Speaker 1: So the guy who allegedly does a stabbing, he's walking around.
Speaker 3: But the guy who burned the Qur'an, he's already been tried and found guilty. Kirs Starmer went to the High Court as a lawyer defending a woman for the right to trample on a US flag, and he said at the time even the most insulting acts are protected by free speech. But of course now as the Prime Minister, he's been absolutely silent on this issue. Even his own party call for the desecration of religious texts to become a crime. The leader of the Conservatives, Kemy Badenock, has said de facto blasphemy laws will set this country on a road to ruin this case should go to appeal. Freedom of belief and freedom not to believe are inalienable rights in Britain. As I said in this interview. I'll defend those rights to my dying days. He was originally charged with harassing the religious institution of Islam. That's what the prosecutors originally came up with, as if Islam is somehow a person, it's an idea, the same as Christianity is an.
Speaker 1: Idea, the same as communism, capitalism. They're all ideas.
Speaker 3: And if we're not free to criticize, debate, if necessary, mock and ridicule ideas, then we are not free in any sense at all. This is a terrible judgment in the UK. And if Keir Starmer doesn't do something to overturn this and speak strongly against it, then the whole too.
Speaker 1: Tiakia applies doubly.
Speaker 7: It's a very dark day for the West when you can't criticize religion without being hauled before courts. It's like, I'm sorry, are we in the twenty first century or the sixteenth century?
Speaker 5: Here? Seriously?
Speaker 7: And there are other countries in Europe that have now banned the burning of korans for fear of public disorder.
Speaker 5: Hmm, let's just think about that.
Speaker 7: They're scared of public disorder when you criticize is Lam. I mean, I think any religion, any idea, any political philosophy should be up for debate, and you should be open to criticism. And the poor guy, the poor protester here, he fled Turkey as an atheist because he was being persecuted. He has first hand experience with the danger of fundamentalist Islam.
Speaker 5: And also the harassment didn't stop. Apparently two people.
Speaker 7: Invaded his home, he received death threats, and he's now being protected in a safe house. Seriously, Britain, not only can they not guarantee the safety of people who criticize Islam, they're also now prosecuting them. How have we gotten to this point?
Speaker 6: And we should point out as well that it's one thing to be able to criticize ideas, but what this does is put a certain set of ideas.
Speaker 2: On a higher pedestal than all others.
Speaker 6: Because if you burnt a copy of the Communist Manifesto, for instance, in somewhere in London, I don't think they'd be charging you with some sort of you know, otherwise aggravated defense. It would be a public order offense that you're setting things on fire in public places, But I don't think they would say, ah, that was a politically motivated defense and.
Speaker 2: Therefore it is different.
Speaker 6: But you know, so often these things come up now where you think back to an old movie.
Speaker 2: You're an old TV show.
Speaker 6: And you go, jeez, when they did that, that was satire, like they were making fun of these things, as though it could never happen again. It turns out most of the time they were actually instruction manual. Sir, in this case the life of Brian, you have.
Speaker 4: Been found guilty by the elders of the town of Uttering the name of our Lord, and so as.
Speaker 5: A bless fever.
Speaker 6: You are to be stoned to death. Look, I had a lovely supper and all I said to my wife was that piece of honey.
Speaker 1: But was good enough for Jehovah? He said it again.
Speaker 6: Direct from the UK courts in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: So funny.
Speaker 7: And that's the thing, right, if you burnt a Bible in front of Westminster Abbey, I highly doubt he would be getting prosecuted. But do you guys remember the Olympics in Main colleig.
Speaker 1: Trying to forget the Paris Way that was so bad?
Speaker 5: True?
Speaker 7: Another example, do you remember the drag show of Jesus at the opening community that was never prosecuted. But imagine if that was the prophet Muhammad. Different story. But anyway, a Algerian boxer in Main Khalif caused quite the stir.
Speaker 5: There was a lot of speculation.
Speaker 7: Was she a male, a female, inter sex, transgender?
Speaker 5: It was all very unclear.
Speaker 7: The Olympic Committee said because her past sport identified her as a female, she was able to compete in the female category and won the gold medal, except leaked medical records from the Boxing Federation shows she was actually excluded from an international boxing competition back in twenty twenty three because she showed some male chromozoone markers. And they've now said she has to undergo or I guess he they the boxer has to undergo further chromosome testing to prove that they're actually a female, because these initial tests showed they were in fact a male.
Speaker 5: Now, the worst part of all this is that.
Speaker 7: The Olympic Committee knew at the Paras Olympics that there was doubt, serious doubt over the Algerian boxes gender and that the boxing Federation had already excluded them from competition. Yet they allowed them to compete beating females, rubbing females of the chance to win the gold medal. And now JK. Rowling, who has been a fierce defender of women's rights, has spoken out against this, essentially calling for the medal to be revoked. We call for medals to be a revoked when cheating occurs. This is an unfair advantage. I don't see why it's any different.
Speaker 1: Of course the medal should be revoked.
Speaker 3: It's say boxer who has male chromosomes competing in a women's event and winning. That's not fair, It's not right, and the medal should be returned. Otherwise, you could choose next time the Olympics roll around, to watch the Olympics or watch your cartoon. What's the difference, watch World Federation wrestling. The whole thing is just make believe that. The silly thing about this is twofold one, the one who always say follow the science, trust the science, and yet on this one the Olympic committee said, we don't want to know about the science. Forget a DNA test or a chromosomal test. We're happy to take the athlete's word for it. And so they simply allowed athletes to self identify according to their own passport, which of course is based on their own say so. The other thing I found strange about this story is now that it's being reported Khalif has male chromosomes. The New York Post, which reported it, continually referred to Khalif as she and her. And this is what a topsy turvy, mixed up world we're in now, where even after it's discovered male chromosomes, the media are still using female pronouns to refer to the person.
Speaker 6: And you have to feel sorry for Khalif on some level because it would seem that she. I mean, obviously they choose to go by she, but probably lived most of their life as a girl or believing that they were a girl, but for whatever reason, a gender disorder exists whereby they're not actually entirely a girl.
Speaker 2: Now that of course.
Speaker 6: Gives you some level of advantage, and I can imagine it would be really difficult.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is not a case of.
Speaker 3: Way, can I break in for a second. You can't be half a boy and half a girl. There's not this third dimension, well there is in it was delayed sexual development. Whereupon I believe the story is that when Khalif was born, it was believed that Khaliff was female. Yes, but later discovered Kalif is actually male.
Speaker 6: Yes, so you can understand why that would be a difficult situation. But there are two problems here right. One is that Khalif continues to compete in the knowledge of that which is unfair. And the second is that the IOC did nothing about it.
Speaker 1: They called it Russia propaganda.
Speaker 6: They were aware, well aware of this testing and they chose to do absolutely nothing about it. The IOC needs to be hauled over the coals for that. Of course, as we said before, they said it was oh, you just show your passport. I mean, for Heaven's sake, in many states of Australia now you can have this stuff changed in five minutes flat. So you can't trust what is on the front of a passport. And for the IOC to say that is an absolute joke. If they don't fall on their swords for this thing, you know, what's the point, It's all over for us.
Speaker 3: So before we go to a break, I want to get your thoughts on comments out of Beijing. After the Defense Symposium in Singapore, where the US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth encouraged Australia's Richard Miles to convince alban easy to increase defense spending to three point five percent of GDP, which makes sense. We live in a perilous world at the moment. But a retired colonel from the People's Liberation Army in China has told journalists quote, is it necessary for you, Australia to follow the US to challenge China? If you do not go to China, There's no way China would come to Australia to fight against you. This is a moment for US Australia to do some soul searching. Why would China, Freyer be encouraging Australia not to spend any more money on defense. You don't need to arm yourselves, even as they embark on the greatest military upgrade since World War Two?
Speaker 1: Would there be a slight agenda there? Do you think?
Speaker 7: And not only that, he says there would be no reason for China to come to you.
Speaker 5: They're already here.
Speaker 7: Do you not remember the PLA naval flotilla that circum and navigated Australia. Do you not remember the research vessel that tracked our undersea cable. I'm sorry, China is already here.
Speaker 6: Look, they just sending dictation to the handsome boy, aren't they saying this is what you WoT to do?
Speaker 2: And look, it is a.
Speaker 6: Real testing moment for the Prime minister because if he chooses to take the side of China, then we know exactly where he stands. I think when they sent that vessel down, the Twister, that Submarina vessel during the election campaign, it was a test of the Prime Minister to see in the middle of an election campaign who he would side with, and in that case he sided with China.
Speaker 2: He did what they wanted him to do. So it would be very interesting to see how this plays out.
Speaker 3: And Alberinezi says, we have our own policy. We don't just follow America. Fine, don't follow America in upgrading our defense capabilities.
Speaker 1: Just do it because Australia should do it.
Speaker 3: It's pretty obvious, as you said Frey, You've got Chinese warships live firing off the coast of Sydney. You've got a massive armament build up happening in China.
Speaker 1: We don't need to follow the US.
Speaker 3: Just do it, because it's a blindingly obvious thing to do when you're living in this part of the world and you've got China arming at such a rapid rate.
Speaker 1: We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including a great story on the front page of The Australian about just how much money the federal government is spending tackling climate change.
Speaker 1: Promise you it'll make your eyes water. That's coming up in a moment.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the program. Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. And Caleb, I've got to admit when I saw the front page of tomorrow's Hobart Mercury, I thought that must be fake news.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about that sculpture looking thing?
Speaker 1: Sculpture?
Speaker 2: I'd agree with that. That does well. It ought to be fake news, I think.
Speaker 6: But if you're referring to the story below it, which says poly paycheck check. Premier Jeremy Rocliffe has rejected advice from the Productivity Commission that Tasmanian politicians receive a twenty two percent pay rise from July one, saying the recommended increase is out of step with community expectations. That I would say, yes, I can understand why you thought that might be fake news. Apparently they haven't had a pay rise. The pollys in Tazzi for seven years and so the base salary for an MP would have gone from one hundred and forty thousand to one hundred and seventy one and a half thousand. But you know, Rockcliffe has quite rightly pointed out that it's rather out of kildeer with community expectations right now, so perhaps we should not take our own interest first here, and good on him for doing it. I do find it extraordinary that they haven't had a pay rise for seven.
Speaker 2: Years, but you know, good on him for not having one.
Speaker 3: We're just to point out the premier himself, his pay rise would have been from three hundred and one thousand to three hundred and sixty eight thousand, so he's taken a big hit by showing leadership on this issue.
Speaker 1: But that's the problem.
Speaker 3: If you don't take pay rises when they're due, then seven years lady, you think, gee, we better get up to where we should be. Everyone says, what a twenty two percent pay rise? We can't do that. Little mind that they haven't had a pay rise since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 7: And seriously, inflation now versus twenty eighteen, they've actually had a real pay cut when you consider the amount of inflation we've had in Australia. So I don't know, but principal decision from Rockcliffe nonetheless, but also down in Tasmania, he may not last long as premier because apparently he's at mercy of house revolved. Tasmanian Liberal Premier Jeremy Rockcliffe appears to have lost the confidence of the House of Assembly and, barring any Cross bencher backflips, will have to resign or call a snap election. With three Cross benches late on Tuesday publicly supporting a foreshadowed Labor no confidence motion in the beleagued Liberal leader, his premiership appears doomed. The final decision will now rest with the States Greens, who will meet as a party, most likely early on Wednesday, to decide mister Rockcliffe's fate. I mean, this can't be just over the twenty two percent pay rise.
Speaker 3: Surely, I was going to say that's probably only over the teat.
Speaker 1: Didn't Tony Abbott.
Speaker 3: Do his He basically did his number when he made changes or suggested changes to politicians' pensions. Didn't your superinnuation or something in that was there.
Speaker 6: There was also the small problem of giving Prince Philip as well as well, though though I have to say you can't call him the greatest prime minister we never had, because of course he was prime minister for a short time. But I think he's the greatest prime minister we sort of missed out on who was there for such a short time and could have done great.
Speaker 3: But the timing of this rejects a play rise form.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Is rather interesting.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 5: It's very interesting.
Speaker 6: They only had I mean the election, say election there was fourteen months ago. It was March last year, and already they are in trouble. And of course it took a few days for them to sort of come out of the wash in that election as to how things are actually going to turn out. But you know, if you can't last fourteen months after an election, you're in trouble.
Speaker 2: And even if you survive.
Speaker 6: An incident like this, you really should be thinking about your future anyway, because if they're talking about no confidence, it'll come back again. If it doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: Now and later in the week, we could be talking about Premier Eddie Erica.
Speaker 7: Beet Yes, perhaps stay tuned. Also, in the Australian climate change spend surges to nine billion a year, the federal government spending on climate change and ntzera policies have reached nine billion a year, up from six hundred million just a decade earlier, and up more than four hundred percent in the last term of parliament. New analysis shows despite concerns, progress on emissions cuts is too slow and the costs of electricity keep on rising. I mean, this is the problem, right. We've now got a government that is spending billions mitigating climate change, trying to cut emissions to very limited success. And as we say, Australia is less than two percent of global emissions. So we're spending billions and billions of dollars every year to achieve what.
Speaker 6: Nothing I mean is nine billion now was one point seven billion in March twenty twenty two. I mean, forget about it was six hundred million a decade ago.
Speaker 2: We're talking three years ago.
Speaker 6: We've gone from one point seven billion to nine billion. And what has been delivered for that? Well, I was going to say nothing, but that's not true. Everything's just become more expensive.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, we can't afford to properly defend ourselves. We know where the money can we.
Speaker 6: Can defend ourselves against carbon dioxide.
Speaker 3: The greatest threat facing this country, no doubt, Caleb. Let's go to the advertiser in South Australia. Six point eight million dollars to stop jail balls up reads the headline. Tougher barriers to prevent people lobbing tennis balls filled with drugs into the women's prison a part of a six point eight million dollar corrections package in this week's state budget. The Treasurer said the funding would include building new railings on the jail's perimeter defense, where people recently had been caught hitting tennis balls filled with contraband into the prison yard. They'll also pay for new high tech security scanners to be installed. Weirdly enough, this is not unique to the South Australian Women's prison. Some years ago there were guys prosecuted in New South Wales for lobbing tennis balls filled with drugs into the prison yard, and I read stories this afternoon about similar activities in UK prisons as well. So apparently it's a very common way to try to smuggle drugs into a prison just whack a tennis ball over the fence.
Speaker 6: It's a little more low tech than the video we saw last week of a throne being used to drop vapes and stuff into prison. But look, to be honest, I would have thought there's always been a ban on balls in women's prisons. Let's go to the front of the Herald's Sun Tomorrow where it says exclusive by Rebecca Ball, greenlight for Principles to suspend expel students who attack peers or teachers away from school bullies Beware is the headline. Victorian students bullying are attacking other children and teachers outside of school house faces benion or expulsion under a crackdown on vicious behavior.
Speaker 2: The Herald Son can reveal.
Speaker 6: The States Principles will soon have the authority to discipline students whose actions, both in person and online outside school grounds risk the welfare of their peers and educators. And I think it's a common sense move because, of course we know once upon a time bullying occurred in the school yard, but essentially the school yard bullying now just continue. Used, you know, ad for an item, because it goes straight onto Facebook or or TikTok, whatever the hell the kids are.
Speaker 2: Using now and it doesn't stop.
Speaker 6: And it is fundamentally a school issue because that's where it.
Speaker 7: Emanates exactly and that is the dangerous part of social media. The bullies follow them home literally in their pocket in the courier mail. Thugs get a clear record. Kid creams who invade Queensland homes armed and attack resonance with knives in heinous acts should not have convictions recorded against them, the state's highest court has ruled. In a decision handed down yesterday, three Court of Appeal judges declared that the two teens who stormed the home of Wallaby's rugby legend two Tai Kefu should not have convictions on their record.
Speaker 5: Is this fair, James?
Speaker 3: If you break into a home, and if you break into a home with a knife, and you break into a home with a knife and threaten people, it doesn't matter how old you are, that should stay on your records. Sorry, but you just can't go soft on things like this. You've got to stamp it out. And we've tried the soft approach doesn't make a difference. Got to get tough on it. We're going to go to a break when we come back. Chess is not normally regarded as a spectator sport, but maybe that's about to change. When you see the tantrum thrown by the world number one when he lost.
Speaker 1: That's coming up in a moment.
Speaker 3: Prior to the break, we were looking at tomorrow's newspapers, which made me think, what sort of newspapers would you typically.
Speaker 1: Go to for news? Thought?
Speaker 3: Washington Post, Caleb. Would you go to the Washington Post to get your news?
Speaker 6: Oh? Most definitely you would, because it'll tell you things that.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't tear anywhere else.
Speaker 6: Probably because no one else would dare to say them, because it'd bit silly.
Speaker 2: Particularly in this case.
Speaker 6: The Washington Post had this great expose on fentanyl being taken into the United States dropping by record numbers. I mean they say in this article that there's a new and puzzling reality confronting people working at the bottom. Why could this be that fananel going into the US has suddenly dropped Habe. It's because Donald Trump is president, and of course he said he.
Speaker 2: Was going to crack down on this, and so they thought.
Speaker 6: Well, maybe we won't bother taking it over the border. It's gone from seventeen hundred pounds was averaged last year going over the border each month of being ceazed at the border to seven hundred and forty six pounds, and the Washington Post is ah, but this started before Trump became president, ignoring the fact that, of course, for two months between the election and him becoming president, they knew he was coming anyway.
Speaker 7: Come on, It's almost like if you police the border, people stop smuggling legal things in. But look, finally someone has made an honest Harvard ad.
Speaker 5: It is a parody, but it's pretty funny. Check this out.
Speaker 8: Ever, wish your child was a full blown liberal idiot desperate to turn them into a Jew hating extremist who'd rather burn a flag than think for themselves, Well, Harvard University has the answer. For the low, low price of half a million dollars will transform your kid into the kind of zealot who sets bags about on fire in the street, screaming about whatever CNN's whining about today. Our elite program guarantees they'll swap reason for rage and facts for feelings faster than you can say protest permit. But wait, there's more. Our tuition doesn't cover the essentials. Blue hair dye, nose piercings, and a weak, flaccid body are sold separately for.
Speaker 7: The small price of five hundred thousand USAU.
Speaker 5: Sounds like a pretty good deal, James.
Speaker 3: The best humor always comes from telling the truth, and that's the reason lefties hate humor. He chess isn't normally a spectator sports. Probably pretty boring to watch other people play. But I don't know, maybe I'll change my mind after watching Magnus Carlson, he's the current world number one lose a look at his reaction when he loses to a nineteen year old kid. He's certainly not happy about it.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's about as exciting as chess gets.
Speaker 1: But it reminds me of when I was a kid and you'd lose a game. In you it is still it.
Speaker 6: Is still one of the most polite responses to losing. I think you should see me when my horse gets done on the line.
Speaker 2: It's a lot worse than that.
Speaker 1: That's all from us. Good night, stick around to bit a penalty up in just a moment.