Speaker 1: This is smallsy surgery. Are we ready to go with Tonight's guest? Yes?
Speaker 2: Apparently the we've been told this is the most rigold thing that could possibly We've been told that we have to call him and that we isn't lined up.
Speaker 1: They're whole, They're a whold. Okay, let me just okay.
Speaker 2: So we've apparently connected to his hotel room and we're on hold waiting for Okay, So Tonight's guest famous as are Regold, twenty six Emmy nominations, fourteen Gold nominations, the most iconic two thousands TV series of all time, Entourage, Jeremy Piven. This is his hold music. So did they tell us how long we'd be waiting for the book? Hopefully he's ready.
Speaker 1: You know this feels very ore Regold.
Speaker 2: If I hope he answers the phone with you got gold like that would be iconic.
Speaker 1: You know what I should do while we're waiting.
Speaker 2: He's in New Zealand apparently at the moment doing a stand up shows. He's going to be here from this weekend kicking off his stand up shows. He's playing the Sydney Brisbane Perth, meloln and Adelaide. I really am patting here teg Dainty dot com for Jeremy Piven live in Australia.
Speaker 1: Do I keep Maybe we'll just.
Speaker 2: Play the let's just fade this down, Let's play his opener and let's see if he answers the firing, and let's listen to you with Jeremy Vinous.
Speaker 3: Years ago, I did a show called Angurache. Could you imagine if we tried to reboot that today in this climates.
Speaker 1: Too, Jeremy Purpan, I'd rive the sample.
Speaker 3: It contains the names of EAD agents. Anyone catches you, you eat it, COMPRENDI not if you understand what I'm saying, you can't just not.
Speaker 1: He's on his way to Australia. Please welcome to the show, Jeremy Piven. How are you? Thank you?
Speaker 2: This is very arigold for me to be connected to you in your hotel. Are you are we interrupted anything? Or you good to chat because I know you're travel No.
Speaker 3: No, I was. I was sitting staring at the phone doing absolutely nothing, and now we are on and everything is great in the world.
Speaker 1: Okay, fantastic.
Speaker 2: That's great to hear because I just was like, oh, maybe he's partying in the hotel room and we've interrupted, and I wouldn't have wanted to interrupt your what day is it? Whatever day of the week it is plans. Hey, great to talk to you. And you're on your way to Australia with the with the whole stand up comedy shows that I am. You're going to be here this weekend, playing literally every every capital city around the country. What is your what's your favorite thing to riff on at the moment. There's so much material in the world.
Speaker 1: What do you what do you? What do you love?
Speaker 2: And the chance to pop off on stage about it at the moment.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the great thing about stand up is is you know anything that's happening in the moments you can I mean I literally just touchdown in New Zealand, so a lot of my stuff is you know, based you know in the fact that I live in the States and well you know everything that we're going through, but you know, things can happen to me on the way to the theater. You know, I just flipped and fall and go, my god, I'm getting old. This is how you know you're getting older. You could look at a woman in a short skirt and I would think, Wow, she's hot, and now I look at her and I go, I wonder if she's.
Speaker 2: Cold, you could you could have a fall at the airport and hurt your hip. Like that's all real possibilities, right, Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's not as funny as what I just said. But yeah, yeah, there you go, brother. I think we should you and actually take this on the road.
Speaker 1: I have to.
Speaker 2: I have to ask, like, what's your what's your opinion on crowd work?
Speaker 1: Do people heckle you at your shows?
Speaker 2: Because the clips on TikTok you are very funny, and obviously you lean into like what people know you for and an actor and being in Hollywood, But do people heckle you at your shows?
Speaker 1: Do you encourage that or?
Speaker 2: Because I think in the stand up circuit, some people are like it's okay to be heckled. Other people are like, fucking shut up. This is my show, don't take me off my path.
Speaker 3: That's the great thing about stand up is that you know, at any moment someone could do. That's what makes the show unique. I will say though, that in the States people do it a lot more and it says a lot about a culture. You know, you can learn a lot about a culture. Like you know, when you're watching like sports and you have you know, people being interviewed and then you see the fans in the background that they're either like, you know, they're very well behaved or people are like lifting their shirt up and desperately trying to get on camera. You know, when I've been in Australia, people they're smart, they're present, they get the joke, but you've got to earn their last So I'm not just saying that because I'm here, but Australia, I was in Melbourne and Sydney last time, were two of my favorite places in the world to play, and mostly because they loved me and they thought I was really funny, which means they have really good taste, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I feel like you're flirting with us, and I'm on board that we do think you're very funny and we do enjoy you a lot. You've got because not only you've got two things, you got the stand up show, but then also you made a movie here too, right, I made.
Speaker 3: A couple movies, one of them Primitive War. Luke Sparks, who's a guy who lives out there not too far from the Gold Coast where we shopped this film last time I was here. Our film was going to be released the twenty first of August. The trailer has been blowing up. We just were a few days ago at Comic Con, first Australian independent film to ever go to Comic CON's huge and it went incredibly well. We were totally sold out, and there are other, you know, big movies that weren't sold out so well. I feel like we're onto something.
Speaker 1: That's so great, that's so great. You know.
Speaker 2: Obviously obviously the character you made famous being like a you know, Ari Gold, and then since Entourage, since then, there's been a bunch of shows that have sort of tried to do a sort of like a peek behind the curtain of how the you know, the sausage is made. But recently seth Rogen did this series called The Studio. And now that you've also now that you've made movies as well as TV series, I was curious to know how much of the movie making experience was How close was it to sort of like that series. As an actor, how close is it to you know, dealing with studio execs and the egos and you know, the people who trying to involve themselves in all of it.
Speaker 3: I know that when we were doing Entourage, you know, we had a lot of people working on the you know, the rating and the producing that were immersed in Hollywood. So and one of them to this day was his Mark Wahlberg's manager. So in a weird way, we have like a drama tour on set with us at all times. So what you're seeing was pretty authentic. Yeah, to the backstage life of Hollywood. And yeah, you know we if we didn't get it right, we would have heard about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah's true, that's true.
Speaker 2: You made a funny joke that I saw on TikTok about you saying like they would never make Entourage now because it's like five I don't want to I don't want to do your gear, but there's like five straight white guys on a billboard and it just wouldn't be made. Do you do you worry about cancel culture in in your stand up because like people can take those clips out of context, or are you like I've been doing this for so long, I could give a shit, you know.
Speaker 3: I think when you start, like there's this great quote about people that do the high wire, you know and they I mean, that's such an insane even thing to do with your life. And the moment they start thinking about anything other than just being in the moment, they they tend to fall. And I think, I think we stand up. You know, you're up there and you're conncion with the audience and you're having a great time, and you're making them laugh, and you're not getting in your own way or second guessing yourself. Otherwise it's just not going to be the best version of what it can be. I think we've been through a lot in the past four or five years, and I think that you know, we've seen the extreme version of people being triggered, taking offense, leading with feelings, and I think we're coming back to some semblance of normalacy, which which we listen. The number one in the States, number one viewed piece of content on Netflix was the Roast of Tom Brady, which was really launchy and fun and wild and and I think, you know, there are businesses out there and they don't want to fail, and so they have to look at what's selling, and what's selling is if we had a rule of my house growing up, my mom would say, you know, you can say whatever you want, as long as it's funny. And I think if it's funny, that means you have some insight into a truth about something that we can all share. So I think if you start thinking about, wow, is this going to offend someone? Because I'm not racist. I you know, I grew up in an integrated culture, you know, so it's not like I live in fear of like, wow, I'll be uncovered as some you know, something that would. I really have nothing to fear and love making people laugh like that.
Speaker 1: And I like that answer. I like that answer, So I.
Speaker 3: Think that's a really great place to be. You know, we all need to laugh now more than ever with everything going on. You know, it's like, you know, you can get angry, but anger is like a punishment you give yourself for something someone else did, kind of like burning your tesla. Oh yeah, good night everyone, Thank you for coming.
Speaker 1: I know I love that.
Speaker 2: I never would understand it. Yeah, I saw exactly what you did. Then I saw exactly what you did. Then you're gonna be here. Shows kicking off this weekend. TG dainty dot com for tickets. Final question for you, are they treating you like a rockstar in New Zealand. What's the hotel like? Are they rolling out the red carpet or do they lock up the booze in the mini bar?
Speaker 1: What's the story there?
Speaker 3: You know, I know that this is a very civil conversation. You were expecting ari gold, But yeah, no, no, no, I'll break out the ri gold when it when it comes time to get up on that stage.
Speaker 2: I'm just checking that you're staying in a nice hotel and they've they've given you a pillow menu because you deserve it. And I don't like a hotel that doesn't have a variety of pillow options in the room.
Speaker 1: If you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: There is a plateau of pillows. And because I'm in New Zealand, I actually have a sheep in bed with me.
Speaker 2: Apparently everyone off the plane gets one, so I'm glad that they have continued that tradition. You sir, are going to be here live in Australia over the weekend. Pleasure to have you on the show. Now, enjoy the rest of your night in New Zealand.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, buddy, I'll see you too.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Smallzy Surgery podcast. Here more from Smallsy live weeknights from eight only on Nova