Speaker 1: Competentis win the comp.
Speaker 2: They've got to get through the next three weeks, merge unscar, stay in the top four.
Speaker 1: Any team can do it from outside? You know they can.
Speaker 2: I don't know that they can. His true suggests they can't.
Speaker 3: History suggests we've never seen a team like that.
Speaker 4: Direct.
Speaker 5: I think the side in the top four that have another gear and.
Speaker 6: And they are in this position where they can still make the eight. They have a roster that is absolutely capable of winning a camp.
Speaker 7: Bailey Simonson omitted again from the Eels line up to play the rabbit Os on the weekend.
Speaker 1: What's Doing.
Speaker 7: Welcome to the Code n r L Show Adam Mobbs here with Michael Carrionis, David Riki and Brent Reid Hot takes this week.
Speaker 1: Competis win the comp? Yes, yeah they can?
Speaker 2: For sure of just one word. Yeah, I think they can. But but I think Melbourne are clearly still the favorites for me. But I think depending on how things play out, they've got to stay in the top four. I think you can't win it from outside the top four. For me, they've got to stay in the top four. They've got a tough run the next three weeks. I think they've got to get through the next three weeks. Merge On scares stay in the top four, and then I'll be I'll be worried about him. You're not worried about him now from the top four.
Speaker 4: I'd be worried about him regardless if I'm.
Speaker 2: That's on the top four.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, Yeah, if any team can do it from outside, you know they can.
Speaker 2: I don't know that they can. I think they'll finish in the top History suggests they can't.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think we've said history suggests we've never seen a team like that?
Speaker 2: Correct we have in the sixties.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, we've said a better team, but only you were alive then.
Speaker 2: It was close.
Speaker 8: What about the lack of injuries, I mean, I know is A is out for that. Yeah, but that's it's what happens every year. Their injury run is always time to perfect, isn't it. Every year they have a big injury. This year, he'll be playing it the business.
Speaker 3: End were playing next week.
Speaker 4: That's what happens with Penrith. For whatever reason, their injuries.
Speaker 5: I know they've carried Nathan and Jerome over the last couple of years, but it works out for him.
Speaker 6: The big thing is the defense is back in order and that's that was the I regon that was the biggest concern when we started to think about writing them off and actually write them off.
Speaker 1: From earlier this year. When we started to.
Speaker 6: Their defense was it was like something we haven't seen before from Penmouth side in so many years. And I think I think now that's back in order. I think they're conceding on.
Speaker 1: Average twelve points. That's just crazy.
Speaker 6: That's that's back to championship stuff. So yeah, absolutely they can. We're going to get a great look at them over the next three weeks though.
Speaker 1: That's the barometer for them.
Speaker 4: I think they beat Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Perhaps, no Jerome Hughes, they get their chance.
Speaker 5: That's the big one for Melbourne is if they get perhaps we'll be back obviously, but Jerome Hughes, if he's not back, I'd have Penwrith as premiership favorites.
Speaker 1: Can Melbourne win it without Jerome Hughes, No, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I reckon they can.
Speaker 4: I just don't think the other players.
Speaker 2: I think the current is very wide open this year, hugely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think even Melbourne have been a bit inconsistent. They haven't been something.
Speaker 1: They haven't been coned right.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether they're waiting for the finals, but there's been moments where they have played so well, they've blown teams away for twenty thirty minute periods and then they've just shut up shop and stopped playing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, one's been informous. Yeah, so I don't look, I think Melbourne can win it without run. I think it becomes infinitely more difficult for them. But I think they can win it without him.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if they can without No, I don't think.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, sorry.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 5: We've said for ages now they haven't been great, but they're coming second.
Speaker 2: But there's another way.
Speaker 5: But yes, I think the only side in the top four that have another gear and Melbourne Penrith.
Speaker 4: I think Cambury has been exceptional this year.
Speaker 2: Obviously you'll start baking cabod No. I think that gets you, buddy.
Speaker 4: But I think they played their best footage, right. I think Canbury have probably played their best.
Speaker 3: Foot an element of waiting for the finals.
Speaker 6: For the Raiders point of view, I regon they flat lined a little bit on the on the basis of waiting.
Speaker 3: A lot of young blokes that haven't been in this.
Speaker 5: Situations around them right where Melbourne and Penereth are known quantities in the business end of the season.
Speaker 2: See people keep saying this about Canberra, but they've got a lot of finals experience, a lot of finals experience. Do We have this argument with Jimmy Graham the other week, but Jimmy said, they've got they've got heaps of finals.
Speaker 4: Not in the spine premiership, in the sport. They've got a lot of premiership experience.
Speaker 2: You mean winning comps. No, they don't know that they've got they've got experience in big games in finals. What about the grind?
Speaker 7: What about getting in the grind, because you know Melbourne can do it, you know Penrith can do it. You've seen Canterbury at the season grinding out wins. Canberra have relied on their attack to get him out of trouble at times and then you know they finally had that that that.
Speaker 1: Defeat that rocked them a little bit.
Speaker 7: And even against Manly, I thought mainly held their gloves up pretty well in the middle a little bit and then they got the win again.
Speaker 5: So they will get punished for those lapses in the finals if they if they don't eradicate them.
Speaker 4: That's the concern for camera. How many finals they played or something.
Speaker 3: Look, the big factor is is what the Raiders is.
Speaker 1: They're going to be playing these semi finals at home.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's the fact that you just can't run away from that. As soon as you say that advantage Raiders.
Speaker 3: They could play Penrith week one of the finals down in Canberra.
Speaker 4: Who would you be tipping?
Speaker 3: Well, I bet you well, okay, just hold that thought.
Speaker 2: I'd take camera anyway, but hold that thought.
Speaker 3: But you would have a vastly different view if that.
Speaker 1: Game was at Penroth. It's not a discussion, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So it shifts your view of how that result goes based on the fact that they've put themselves in this position to be planning to get into a grand final at home.
Speaker 1: It's huge.
Speaker 2: I think got three survivors.
Speaker 5: That's not a lot, but a lot of finals experience since not in their spine Cads and young Josh.
Speaker 4: Yeah minutes.
Speaker 2: Look it up, half played finals footy. Since a lot of guys that played Jamal Foggery, A lot of guys playing the finals they haven't how many of the want of them played Origin, how many of they want of them played test footing?
Speaker 4: How many finals of they one don't know their finals.
Speaker 2: You have to give me more notice of You would like to saying they don't have a big match experience. They do.
Speaker 5: They they haven't had finals, correct, winning finals experience, winning, losing.
Speaker 2: It's still finals experience, not sorry, if you lose, does it not?
Speaker 5: I'm comparing it to Cannon to Melbourne and Penrith doesn't even come close.
Speaker 2: Who's going to get close to them? You put it on through team.
Speaker 5: There's obviously question So obviously because you're comparing it tod, I said, listen, no one, listen because youre annoying me.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: I said there's question marks over their big game experience and you're saying there's not because they've had no success in big game of spruits. So it's sweet and so they had no success. You said that the finals and finals they've had no success.
Speaker 2: But they played big matches other than finals.
Speaker 4: We're talking finals football reasons.
Speaker 2: No, you said big match.
Speaker 4: I'm talking if we went back.
Speaker 5: I said, finally, does origin and origin and test? Because I said finals origin. I said that Melbourne and Penrith have a distinct advantage. They've got an avenger over everyone exactly, so put them on through every other team in the top.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, there you go. Done mix says pen Melbourne. No one else cooking it.
Speaker 5: Done and ready says camera con Because three blokes played a ground final five years.
Speaker 2: And all the blokes who played tests foot in the stud of Origin footy as well.
Speaker 7: I want to ask you, Dave about the Sydney Roosters, your thoughts on how they're going where they should be sitting at the moment, because the last couple of weeks they've you know, they've the season has been on the line and losses would have pretty much ruled them out and they kept themselves in the running. Should they are they where they should be? I think they should be a bit higher.
Speaker 6: So last September I wrote a column about how the vacuum of leadership and experience is going to hurt the Roosters this season and how I had them struggling to make the eighth after watching the rise of Mark Nawanakatawezi, Robert Toyer, Hugo Savala and a couple of Blake Steve's the younger forwards coming through. I've shifted my I've shifted my mind on where this team sits, probably around May June this year, and then watching unfold the Dally m favorite his form of the form of James de Desco has shifted my mind and what this team is capable of. When you then throw in the class and caliber of all the representative players Angus Crichton, Connor Watson, who else, who else too, like Lindsay Collins, Spencer Lanu, Victor Radley. They have been with Sam Walker for okay, So then you come back to the fact that Samsmoon missing yet here they are okay, granted, but they still had Sam and Smith.
Speaker 1: They could have.
Speaker 6: They bought Chad Townsend for a reason. I'm not saying it worked or it didn't. A deal didn't work, but they did buy him. So they had ample experience and depth in the halves. They unearthed Hugo.
Speaker 1: And they are in this position where they can still make the.
Speaker 6: Eight and once they get there, they are they have a roster that should be and is absolutely capable of winning a camp and getting to at least getting to the Grand.
Speaker 1: Final this year. Yes, this year.
Speaker 3: If they get to the eighth, that's rules, that's a team.
Speaker 4: Your turn.
Speaker 1: How well that that team right.
Speaker 2: On, the class of Melbourne cameras.
Speaker 1: Let's play more finals.
Speaker 6: So they've got the Dallian favorite, Jimmy the Dallim it's a good player.
Speaker 3: They've got five Origin players.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Throw a start.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 5: Well, I just had him coming into this year missing the eight. I don't think I had just missing the ape.
Speaker 6: So there's some dem you must see some damn good teams above the roosters.
Speaker 1: As far as rosters are concerned, well.
Speaker 5: I just thought with all the amount of players that left the side last year, right, there was a lot of a lot of high quality, a lot of experience out the door.
Speaker 1: Taking his stack of footy.
Speaker 5: Take it into the account that Sam Walker we didn't know exactly when and he was going to be back this year. So I thought they'd have a slight dip this year, not a catastrophic dip, a slight dip this year, but obviously signing Ree robson for next year, and then with those players that have had more exposure like the far who White, all those sort of guys that have played a lot more first grade this year, and I just wasn't sure with that experience, was not a player.
Speaker 6: In the roof, just back line that wouldn't walk into the majority of the teams.
Speaker 4: I get your point. I do get your point.
Speaker 5: I just basing it on what my expectation was on him headed into this year, and I didn't have him in my eight.
Speaker 1: So which teams did you have started beating him in the eight? Did you have the Dolphins, the Warriors, the Raiders.
Speaker 4: Definitely not, You're going great.
Speaker 1: These are all teams above them.
Speaker 7: So you had the Storm, Bulldogs, Panthers, Broncos.
Speaker 1: You would have happen manly how you can even.
Speaker 6: You considered the Manly Liner to have been comparable to what the Roosters have at their disposal off one mind blowing.
Speaker 4: But do you have them start again?
Speaker 3: Because I'm hearing what you said the vacuum of experience, I went no.
Speaker 1: But halfway through this year, so you didn't know the eight? No, probably not, but I'm not even willing to seen that.
Speaker 5: I understand what your hundred percent, one hundred percent, I understand what you're saying. And then if you look at it now, I think they'll make the eight right because of the injuries that have got to teams in and around and mainly have fallen off a cliff, right, the Dolphins have all these injuries. I think Brisbane will make the AID as well, despite the three injuries that they've got.
Speaker 4: But I think the Roosters will finish.
Speaker 6: What I'm saying is so Tedesco is having a dallim season. I don't think they can win the comp mark.
Speaker 1: No one could toys. He is the Daly m Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 6: You can NRL can can stamp the papers, but he is right, he's the best.
Speaker 3: Young player in the game.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 6: Then Robert Toyer comes out and plays three games in a State of Origin series and wins it with Queensland. These are the things that you didn't know would happen when you were doing your top eight exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, That's why I had my doubts, right yeah.
Speaker 6: But so now they emerge with this capability and they are where are they tenth at the moment?
Speaker 4: Tenth?
Speaker 5: Not they are underachieving, nah, because I think you're I understand your point, Dave, but you can't, like just because we get to the halfway point and we'll reassess, right, you can't discard how hard it was for him at the start of the year without Sam Walker without the all those guys that were playing longer minutes for the first time and stuff.
Speaker 4: You just can't discount that, I can. I say.
Speaker 2: Everyone's talking about how the rooster turned the corner, right am?
Speaker 4: I right?
Speaker 2: They won the one Tour a right now because they win two weeks so I can't remember. Yeah, I think that was two games before that. That's actually been flying. They haven't been that good this year.
Speaker 1: No, that's why I think they're underachieving.
Speaker 2: But but but you are also sudden they could win.
Speaker 1: The comp Well, why did those do they win the comp?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 4: Based on the roster?
Speaker 2: Well they can make they can't make the why those boys?
Speaker 6: Why did those boys get picked for the New South Wales't because why Robbie Toy got picked?
Speaker 2: Because we ran our troops basically again, so ordinary Spencer and some of the other boys got shown loyalty. Spencer, Connor Watson angers got shown loyalty.
Speaker 1: So they still got there. Right.
Speaker 3: But if they're going on my bustards, there's enough back rails around and over the top.
Speaker 2: Surely over the course of this seed season you can see that they've been too inconsistent, and.
Speaker 3: They have been inconsistent they're underachieved and.
Speaker 2: Considered too many points to go anywhere close to winning this.
Speaker 3: Corp, and they're to improve.
Speaker 1: No doubt, they're underachieving.
Speaker 5: Dave's not basing it on the way they played. Dave's based on the way they should be playing. But you can't put I don't agree with it.
Speaker 2: I don't agree based on the way they're playing.
Speaker 4: Notice to say they are achieving.
Speaker 6: What if I'm talking about ten and he's planning at a six, he's underachieving even what.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, you're saying they can make the Greend Final.
Speaker 3: Give the shape if they can't, If they can't base all those boys.
Speaker 2: If you're basically how they're playing, they can't.
Speaker 1: Well, if they play to their ability, they can.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe this is their ability. Maybe we've overrated.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a different topic.
Speaker 2: I didn't think they make the finals for the season. That's a different I thought their ability was they've exceeded their ability to get to where they are.
Speaker 1: Well, they've got some issues with their roster.
Speaker 2: Then going aback the camera quickly, do you think the rooster should clim They made a prelim in twenty twenty and they made the file second with the finals in twenty twenty two Melbourne, Melbourne. That's big game experience.
Speaker 6: Do you think do you think do you think the Rusters should clean out their roster? Well you should. You think they should because they're not playing for their ability. I think they've reached their I think.
Speaker 2: This year if the Rusters was always going to be a transition year and they're going to be better next year.
Speaker 6: But you just said those players are playing to their ability and potential. Well some of them are, so they're on long economy.
Speaker 2: Nick mentioned Angus Anger has been a bit down this year. Tour are going to get better. Mark the Winged is going to get.
Speaker 5: Better, right, Lafio wait'sn't gone, Ye was going to get better.
Speaker 6: You throw robson, so who is playing to the who has He's gonna win.
Speaker 2: The rob To pro rob to? Probably have you got standing? Sammy Walker has been great?
Speaker 3: Since said maybe they've reached their potential.
Speaker 5: It's probably there. It's it's probably the higher earners haven't been great. That's obviously they miss Sam Walker for a long time. Teddy's been great, but Lindsay Corns, I don't think was great, has been great this year. I think Angus has been great this year. Bradley hasn't been great this year. So I think that's where their issues are at the moment, the roosters, not not the emerging players, which is why I think they'll be really good next year. They could win the COP next year, you know. But I just think that if.
Speaker 3: They missed the it's it's it's an underachieving season.
Speaker 1: Win too.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 7: They've got two big games, don't they storm Ye Bulldogs, and so they've got to win the other two, which are Paramatta and then South. You reckon two people from there gets him in the eighth.
Speaker 6: No certain, I'll tell you what That form and against helped them against the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: To beat the Dogs. Yeah, I could see that happening and.
Speaker 4: Then they can get up for it.
Speaker 7: Rumor Mill obviously breaking news on the Thursday morning Sean Lane officially announcing his retirement. You guys had it at Sport Confidential six weeks ago, so if you want to hear the latest, always go there first. So the other one is Bailey Simonson omitted again from the Eels line up to play the rabbit Os on the weekend.
Speaker 1: What's doing this.
Speaker 6: Seems like another situation of Jason Ryles taking a stand or a position on a player that he knows is not part of the club's future and has decided to not pick Bailey. There's been opportunities to pick him through injury.
Speaker 3: Sean Russell's a good example. He's been out.
Speaker 2: Dylan Brown ahead of him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right, and clearly that's a case of Rosey putting the foot down again and say hey, if you can get another club, do your best. The problem is for this right is Bailey needs to be careful about asking for a release because when you ask for a release, it's that's you, that's your terms, that's what you want.
Speaker 1: It's not necessarily the club.
Speaker 6: The club can go, well, we don't want to release you, and then therefore it becomes part of the financial package of the departure. So Para going to say no, we don't want to release and we're not chipping in. He's on around four hundred, four hundred and fifty zero. It's a good salary for his capabilities and he's if he's not careful and just wants to walk and throw the toys out of the cot, Para aren't going to chip into his next contract.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting.
Speaker 5: About decent money too, Like he's not like you know, so it is an interesting to him because he's underpaid, no, because he was resigned recently. It's like some of the other guys that Roles a let go had.
Speaker 4: He inherited a lot of them. Yeah, so it's probably the first one of.
Speaker 3: The projecting with a few clubs on their injured.
Speaker 6: There's certainly some I mean club's ears prick up when they hear about because they know he's got ability his former club. The raid is they're not interested in a return for Bailey. He will get a club, but he just needs to be careful on the whole release and who's paying what so he can still maximize his four hundred.
Speaker 7: It is a little strange that Roles has brought Dylan Brown back in and playing him in the centers. I know he's played a little bit there before, but that to me, I found that that's the thing that sticks out as a little weird.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose you could take that view, couldn't you?
Speaker 6: Given how much Roles he's going down the future first path. Have you not got a young gun center that you could blood and look at.
Speaker 7: I would have thought, and I'm told that they don't want to rush him in, but this time of year, you've got nothing else to play for Richard, it might be someone that you put through you know, you blood him into first grade, you give him some reasons.
Speaker 5: It's also a bit of a reward for Dylan Brown to apparently he's been outstanding the training.
Speaker 1: Yeah, has you dropped his bottom lip?
Speaker 2: Why do you feel they need to do? And I love what Jason Rowls is doing. I want to stress that why do you feel they need to reward someone who's leaving the club, Because when when I finish, when you can record reward guys who' be doing the job for the new south Well's Cup, or reward guys younger guys who have been head down training hard part of the club's future. Why would you again, I stress, I'm on a huge sport of roles. I think he's doing an amazing job. The world your rewarded guys leaving the.
Speaker 5: Joy because it's not punished, and Dylan hasn't been He shouldn't be punished.
Speaker 2: That's not because reward.
Speaker 3: Simply because it's to win football games, and it's not just that.
Speaker 5: It's because his attitude has been amazing and the players wanting to play because he's been.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the players wanted to play previous weeks. He hasn't picked it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but there comes there comes a point where like, you can't just that this guy has been outstanding around the group. Right, It's not like he's dropped his bottom lip or anything like that, So you know, if you've got a vacancy there, you don't need to keep kicking him.
Speaker 2: So what about the other kids who've been around the group, But.
Speaker 4: Maybe they're not ready. Maybe there's players are there that aren't ready.
Speaker 2: Just a question.
Speaker 6: I think coach has still come back to the fact that this blood gives me a better chance of winning the game.
Speaker 1: I think you go to a point and right, but I think he's.
Speaker 2: Show it's not necessarily about winning Dave. Otherwise Dylan would have been the team to start with, Like, why would you drop Dylan? Dylan gives you a better chance of winning?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's a.
Speaker 2: Better he's a better football and Dean Hawk Yeah yeah, No, I understand that.
Speaker 6: I understand that, but I still think you do get to a point where you're not throwing games for throwing games, save.
Speaker 2: Suggesting throwing games.
Speaker 5: But I obviously doesn't feel like there's anyone that's ready or up to play a NROL yet.
Speaker 1: And look young penas coming back.
Speaker 4: I could understand what Bailey thinks slapped in the face.
Speaker 5: Not so much a young kid, you know, like in Dylan being picked over a rookie, but I can understand what Bailey's frustrated by.
Speaker 7: It, no doubt, And he has shown role with that. He's not afraid to throw young guys into the mix. You know, you've seen with Josh papal Or can only Katonga and guys who haven't had a had an opportunity at first grade to other clubs have come in and he believes that they've earned it, so they go in. And I know Richard penasen he's come back from that a c L and they wanted him a full season in Cup to bring him through.
Speaker 2: But has he been going to good? Yeah, he's been going right.
Speaker 7: I don't think we're too far away from seeing the brothers in first go together at some point.
Speaker 1: Next reason