Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to The Australian's Money Puzzle podcast. I'm James Kirby. Now, after more than a year of intense debate, the big changes to super tax appear now to finally have been settled, and you've probably heard the Treasure has put forward a pretty shrewd, politically shrewd solution to the whole thing, whereby the very rich in our country, those at more than ten million in super will play a prohibitive rate of tax and there will be some offset. It's part of this package for low income miners, which should probably ensure it goes through Arliament. Right now, most listeners to the show will not be in either category. I expect you're not a low incommner and I expect you don't have more than ten million in super. Maybe I'm wrong, but I reckon ninety percent of listeners are in the category where quite simply, the news is that's super tax rates are going to double above three million dollars. Okay, so there's no tax up to two it's fifteen percent on earnings over two million, and from July one next year it's thirty percent on earnings in super over three million. I think that this will more than anything else hit property investors. And my guest today is ideal for this. It's Stuart Williams, property and finance expert. How are you, Stewart.
Speaker 2: I'm really well, James, and welcome back from you all leave. It's lovely that the Treasurer waited until you were back to make that announcement.
Speaker 1: Very thoughtful lot, I thought too. So yes, that's right. He more. I said he was going to redesign us a month ago, and folks, I have been. I have been away for a month. We had some pre records there and I had some great shows thanks to Julia Spragg who stood in for a number of shows which she recorded on the weeks. So we're back in the saddle tod. They try very hard to catch up with everything. Glad to have Stuart with me. So Stuart, could you spell out from July one next year what are the rates of tax on super And also I was crucially spell out that the whole thing about on Relo's games is got.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's a really important point. And I think James, before we talk about it, my observation would be the consultation process has worked like okay, yes, maybe politicians come up with silly ideas to begin with, but the whole process should be, well, we go out to constituents, the industry, we get feedback, and we reflect that feedback in policy. So I know that there's a few articles sort of criticizing, calling a backflip, all these sorts of things. Of course, you know that's true in some sense, but in a way, well unto the treasure of fullystening to the feedback and coming up with something a little bit more sensible. Because SUPER was designed to fund retirement, not to be a tax savior. And you know, I think anyone that has more than ten million dollars in SUPER, it's no longer about retirement, it's about tax saving and a tax haven. So I totally support the revised policy. So essentially an accumulation. So as we're working, you're right, up to three million dollars, we're paying fifteen percent. Between three and ten million were paying thirty percent, and then over ten million we're paying forty percent. And that's just on realize capital gains and any investment income. So there's no tax on unrealized gains. And that's particularly important for property investors because a lot of people that have used their SUPER to invest in property. Are only really thinking about, well, one day I will sell this in retirement, and then that's when I crystallize the capital gain. So at least we've removed the unrealized gains tax. Now, of course, once we enter into retirement, the only change there is the first two million dollars is now tax free. And so as I said, you know, I think, well, SUPER is there to fun retirement, and the progressive tax rates I think make a lot of sense. And even if you look at say a balance of five million dollars in retirement, the average tax rates about fifteen percent, So it's still not bad. It's not like we're punishing those people with a lot of money inside SUPER. And I would argue, anyone five million SUPER, can I afford to pay fifteen percent and make a contribution towards sort of tax revenue. I think they could have done a lot more on the incentives for lower income earners, because it's a bit unfair that if you've got someone on a very low income with a very low SUPER balance and they do want to save for retirement. Sure, now about the first five and a half thousand dollars in contributions is tax free because of the offset. But I would argue that if you're in a low income and you have a low SUPER balance, that you shouldn't pay any tax to put money into Super because it's in the government's best interest because it produces a burden on the welfare systems.
Speaker 1: No, you know, you've actually pay fifteen percent as it calls in, and it's like, ah, gosh, you know I was being encouraged. Okay, now, But for property investors, here's the thing. What happens next. So we all know now in the property market that there's a new tax rate coming in, and we all know that anyone who has accumulated property assets in Super the tax rate, assuming they're total super assets, and no doubt their total superassets would be heavily chunkily if you like, composed of property assets. The tax rate's going to double on earnings over from the tax lace basically between three and ten is going to double. Isn't it used to be fifteen percent and now it's going to be thirty percent on the earnings on assets above those above the actually shold and that would apply to property earnings. What does it mean for the property marked.
Speaker 2: Well, they're being a bit silent on how these util tax rates will apply to capital gains, because at the moment, super funds get a third reduction in capital gains tax rates. So income is taxed at fifteen percent, you know, between zero and three million dollars in accumulation, whereas capital gains are taxed at ten percent, so you get a third reduction on the tax rate. I would imagine they're going to apply the same principle to the new tax rates. So if you're paying, if you've got more than ten million dollars and you're paying forty percent, well you'll pay. You know, you'll probably get a third discount on that. And remember it's marginal as well. So even if you look at the average tax rate on say twenty million dollars, it's about thirty one percent on income, so it might be about twenty percent or so on capital gains. Well that's still probably the same more slightly less than what you'd pay if the if you crystallize that capital gain in your personal name, I'm not sure. I mean for someone that crystallizes a huge, huge capital gain, you might say, well, it's not worth it being side super and you should pull it out before you sell it or now. But I think for most people and most people listening to this, I don't think it changes very much. I still think the tax benefits aren't as great as they used to be, but they're still their relative to say, holding it in a family trust, to hold me in individual names or even in a company name.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're saying, all right, So the point your first point is that in relative terms, compared to outside super, though it's not as good as it used to be, it remains better than many options outside super. Okay. And also then property income does property income coming in? So someone has saved has and their key acid in their super is let's say a small apartment and that small apartment block pays income each year, and the apartment block is worth more than three then their tax is going to double. Is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It will. But if there's a balance is five million dollars, they're paying an average rate of fifteen percent. Well, you're probably going to pay more than that if the asset was held personally. If it was in a company, you're going to pay thirty percent. If it's in a family trust, again, it will end up in an individual name, so you're going to pay more than fifteen percent. So yes, there's a tax hike, but still Super remains attractive. And James, this is something that I talk to clients about a lot because a lot of people go, well, I don't want to concentrate on Super. They're always moving the rules, right they are. They will they will always change the Super rules. It's been like that since the early nineties when Super began, and it's going to be like that for the next twenty or thirty years. But it will always be concessionally taxed right at the end of the day, So it's always going to be an attractive proposition. Now that's not to say you put all your money into it, because someone with ten million dollars might start thinking about, you know, diversifying on your ship structures. But I think for most people listening to this podcast, it doesn't change. It doesn't really change the outcome. Super is still an attractive environment as well.
Speaker 1: Now, what about the impact at the upper end of the market. So there is a report already that perhaps you know, obviously the family home remains free of allttax couple of games exemption, so you would think the top end of the market even be juicier basically will even be more attractive than it used to be. So we may find even more heat coming into the housing market, particularly at your brand. What do you think of that Hereio it look?
Speaker 2: I think so at ten million dollars, the average traits twenty three percent, So if you have more than ten million dollars, you start to think about maybe pulling some of that money out. It's a little bit of a cautionarytail for most people. For some people as well, because I've spoken our advice to this day to our clients is don't do anything until it's law. We're not going to do anything now. I know there's been a lot of stories about people pulling money out of Super, giving early inheritance, upgrading the family home, all those sorts of things. So that's the thing we can learn from this exercise. Don't jump at shadows, don't make changes until something is law. But I think you're right, James. I think if for those people that have super high balances inside Super excuse the pun, I think that there's an incentive there to start pulling out and maybe the early inheritance, maybe upgrading the family home, taking those opportunities to try and avoid that tax. But it's only going to impact a small proportion of the community, of course. And I don't think anyone, I don't think anyone ever criticized right from the beginning that you know, someone with a one hundred million inside super can afford to pay more tax and it's not great.
Speaker 1: I got the yeah, and I think that was broadly accepted across all investment markets. That's fair enough. Nobody was Marchmont Streets or indeed to bort of having people having enormous amounts and Super tendillion is an enormous amount. Very interesting, great to get you on this morning. We take a break and we're going to come back with one of our favorite topics with the new anger that you may not have considered before, which is where they're the big in basement of the national property market is turning or not Talk to you in a moment. Hello, Welcome back to the Australians Money Puzzle podcast. James Kirby here with Stuart Weens. Okay, so now we've got you up to date, I hope with the new super tax. Folks, if you want to know more, send in some questions the Money Puzzle at the Australian dot Com Dot I know people had any many questions about this during its sort of gestation, it's trouble gestation, and they probably have even more questions now because it's clear to us because we're watching it every day, but it may not be clear to you. So send let us know what you need to know and we will answer that promptly. Okay. Now, the theme, of course that I'm mentioning is Melbourne the bargain basement were told of the national property market, and boy, it's certainly cheap compared to the other cities, and some historically are likely anomalous situations where for instance, it's cheaper than Adelaiding, you don't mind, it's cheapid than Brismond, it's cheaper than Perth. How can that be? So there are many interstated bests who believe that's going to be a bargain and they've come into the Melbourne market. Stuart Wins and his circle would have been involved in this. Stuart, I've put it to you recently. I've looked at the numbers of the September quarter. The Melbourne things are still helpless.
Speaker 2: They are, but if you look at the fundamentals, they're pretty strong. James, you've got Melbourne, Victoria has the second highest population growth in percent each terms, but in absolute terms one hundred and twenty five thousand people. That population increased one hundred and twenty five thousand people over the last twelve months. That's more than double Perth and New South Wales is about one hundred thousand. So in absolute terms, strongest population growth. Unemployment, I mean, because everyone sort of criticizes the economy. Unemployment is four point four percent nationally or at four point two percent. There's not a big difference there. Vacancy rates over the last twelve months have reduced from about one point eight percent to about one point three percent. Having said that, those other markets you just mentioned in are below one percent now, so the fundamentals are very strong. What we're seeing on the ground from feedback from buyers agents, the results are patching. So if a couple of sales on the weekend, one exceeded expectations by about three hundred thousands so sold for one to five, they were creating one two. Another property that was considered superior failed to sold for one point four to five, so failed to even get to one five. And even though it was probably worth more.
Speaker 1: Seeing a grounds for just yit so just to put the numbers in, like, there is some growth in the Melbourne market, but considering it is anomalous in its in its law price against all other cities, and considering everyone knows this. Now Sydney grew faster than the September quarter the national average group if I've got it right, it's coming up on six percent of Milduran was over three. Is that I know? There was just the biggest Which ones do you use?
Speaker 2: I use karality because they are sort of comparing apples with apples, So it looks at the attributes of property and compares like for like if you like, so five capital city aggregates about four point six percent over the last year. Melbourne's two point two is half the growth you know in yashin the national pace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the thing is okay, so you've taken heart with some macro facts and so some wider investments specialists and experts, and the number you really hang on to there was the fact that the population, the net migration, the population is growing, which is all very fine. And there's two things I think that I the concerns on the other side, One is hasn't Melbourne got the best supply for us two of all the states, and the second is that the net migration figure if we really burrow into it. Is it true that the explanation is that the Melbournians aren't leaving anymore because they can't afford to go the Queen's lab Yeah, possibly, James, although could could it be an interpretation of the figures?
Speaker 2: Well, like you and I've spoken about, there's other reasons while we stay in Victoria other than you know, our ability to move into state, things like family, business, jobs, these sorts of things that kind of keep us here. I guess given the whole negative sentiment, anyone that doesn't have those ties has moved, and you know, there's the rest of us are trapped here if you like, because of either jobs or family. But it's true, it's really the decline in departures rather than and there's been actually a small decline in arrivals, but departures are declined by more. That's turned the interstate migration positive. So that's kind of naturally you should expect that. And the data is very noisy over the last five years because of COVID, so it's really difficult to draw trends necessary trends that are going to repeat themselves. But the other thing, James, you know, when we talk about the data, the thing we've got to be conscious of is this first home guarantee it and its impact on the data because the price caps for this guarantee are around about the median value. So therefore, if we increase the transactions that are below the median value, it's actually going to pull the medium value down because we're looking at the midpoint of all that data.
Speaker 1: I see what you're saying, absolutely, anagress. It's unlimited, right universal, So anyone bunder Frostco Is entitled to this skin.
Speaker 2: And I'm told an agent was talking to a mortgage broker that was based in sin Killary and Melbourne and he was saying that there's fifteen he's got fifteen clients have been approved to go and buy property that if it wasn't for that guarantee, they wouldn't be there. And when other buyers agents saying definitely there's first time buyers more active out there in terms of bidding and so forth. So I think there's going to be an increasing transactions that are sort of sub that million dollar mark, and that's actually going to pull welling medium values down. And that's why I think that coality data is important because we need to look at data for houses and apartments separately, and we try need to try and marry up some sort of comparison, so we're comparing like with like.
Speaker 1: And that's a very interesting point, Stuart. So at one thing, it will pull the media down everywhere. Right, So now yes say it's a right, yeah, very interesting. I don't thought about that. Okay, keep an eye on that, folks. We'll take a short break out some great questions I have been collecting. I want to catch up on them. We haven't had some questions for a while, so back in a moment, Hello, Welcome back to the Australians Money Puzzle podcast. James Kirby here with Sturet Wims of pro Solution on a milestone week when the new super tax, which has been a major distraction in the market for a long time, seems to have been sorted politically. And I don't have to say that there was absolutely white it Google or the decision from the treasure to chuck away a notion of on realized gains and just to have a straight tax on actual earnings and he's basically what he's done is he doubled the amount of tax you pay in super on earnings between three million and ten million. And that's the big news basically, which will hit most people. It's got a bit also, it's got lost, but it's probably a little bit sort of buried in the wider noise around it because he introduced another new tax in super. Yes, sir, for the very wealthy group who have more than ten million assets and super and they will pay in effect of forty percent tax on super. That's the news news as it hits listeners. I expect this that simple piece of information that on earning is about three million, the super tax you pay will move to thirty percent. But as Stewart said, see is in context still lower than just about anything else out there. Okay, some really good questions. Let's have the first one from Helena if you want to read that once?
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, absolutely so. Helena writes, I hope you're having a lovely day. You recently hosted James O'Reilly on The Money Puzzle, who spoke about buying property through a self marrige superfund and that it could leave you a million dollars worse off. The problem isn't that the self married Superfund underperformed. It's that the calculations when comparing four hundred thousand fully invested into shares to only one hundred and sixty thousand deployed into property, when you actually modeled out both sides correctly, the so called million dollar loss disappears.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, Helena. I mean there's one key point I think that that that that MOSCIP agree with, which is having properly an SMSs, having a property asset in an SMSSI, which many people will now be pondering, especially if they already have one, because the tax has changed on it. The issue is that you pay higher rates than other people. And also the negative gearing isn't as good right because because it's insight So they're the crucial points. Of course, people can make succests out of property in an s MESSIVE. But I think James had some very valid point about the fundamental sort of hurdles that aren't very clear sometimes and certainly it wouldn't be made clear to you by someone who was trying to sell you the of putting property into your an SMSSI that's why we have this show.
Speaker 2: I just add to that. Sorry, if James you know that there's I think I have two comments. Firstly, we can model comparisons, and it's correct that you should. You know, if you if you're modeling sort of two different strategies, you should assume the same return on both asset classes, because it's about a strategy comparison rather than asset class comparison. But also the flip side is that you should strategy, you should model your own scenarios. So in James's scenario, it was like leave all the super or take some put it in as a deposit, and then leave some cash left over to investors a bit of a buffer. And so what he was modeling is what he would actually do, and so I think that's what we need to be careful and not saw a drawing conclusions on modeling outcomes unless they really apply to our own situation. And I think the general theme of what James was saying, which I totally agree with, was that not any property will work inside Super. If you're going to invest in property inside Super, absolutely make sure it's a great property. And I totally support that. If you're just going to go out and buy any property or be sold any property that it's not going to work.
Speaker 1: It's not going to work because it has to be very good because it has particular hurdles. As he is being at the bomb with the girl. All right, one final question which is from Josh, do you know why the government brought forward the starting dead for the first home buyers five percent? Positive skin and do you really need only five percent to buy a home now? Josh, careful. This has happened a couple of times, and I've noticed on the show people the folks that scheme universal scheme getting so much attention, which is changing the numbers, as Stewart explained, and it will bring down the medium price, believe it or off, because everybody has to buy under the cap. If you like, that is allowed rule the scheme, the cap on the house price you're allowed by You aren't. You'll just have five percent. You it's not just five percent. This is how it works. You put down you only need a deposit of five percent, but the other ninety five percent is paid by your loan, your mortgage. Okay, the government is only covering the potential insurance obligation on that amount, which you would have had to pay if they didn't do this scheme, So keep that in mind. You don't have an eighty percent mortgage, but you have a ninety five percent mortgage. If you join the first home buyer deposit scheme at five percent, it's fine. I suppose baricycles for some people, but all those people Stewart will be on ninety five percent mortgages. So as a whole new class, isn't there a homeowner in Australia being encouraged by the government who would sit there on ninety five percent mortgages? Probably for the average you know who knows they have one hundred persent mortgages and that's going to take a long time to pay down.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's right. It's not a solution to housing affordability. It's a solution to borrowing capacity. Yeah, that's all it is. And but we you know, like anything, borrowing is a fantastic servant, but a terrible master. So you must make sure that what you're borrowing is affordable and you can repay it and all those sorts of things. Having said all that, you know, if I had my time again, and I was in my twenties buying my first property, I would certainly swing for the fences. I think if I look back over the last twenty or thirty years as a property or an investor, I've probably been two conservative times with my decision making. And you know, when you ever have a look back, if you're old like James and I, you can look back and think about property you own twenty or thirty years ago, you go wow, you're not sure.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And so what you're saying is, yep, you're offering me nineteen five percent mortgage. I take it, yeah, by five percent deposit on the assumption that you know what you're doing, and you'll know what you're doing if you keep listening to us. All right, folks, That was Stuart Williams of pros Solutions. Thanks Stuart, Thank you James. Always great to have you back on the show. Great to be back on the show, folks. As I say, I am wide open to questions on anything you like the money Puzzle at the Australian dot com dot au. Talk to you soon.