Speaker 1: General, welcome the late base.
Speaker 2: Great to have your company. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storra and Caleb Bond. Coming up a Chinese zoo forced to admit that the pandas everybody was paying to see were actually dogs painted black and white. Amazing nobody figured it out. Will show you that a little later. Plus when we look at the papers. International students about to storm the tribunal en mass protesting visa cancelations, and the Northern Territory government splashing around money in a bid to attract new residents. We'll get to that when we look at tomorrow's news. But first, and I don't want to get too excited about this because it's still early days, but there's a new trend among local councils that seems to be catching on. Councils are increasingly starting to ask residents what they want instead of simply imposing woke nonsense upon them.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It all started on Monday night, when the only council in South Australia voted to return Australia Day celebrations to January twenty six, after a poll of citizens found sixty percent of them had always wanted Australia Day celebrations to be on the traditional day. And tonight we can tell you that Rockingham Council in Western Australia has just voted to do the exact same thing. Now Rockingham Council likes so many councils around this country moved Australia Day celebrations away from January twenty six without ever consulting rate payers. But when they randomly surveyed ten thousand households lo and behold, they were shocked to discover sixty three percent of people had never wanted the date to be moved. And so this week, ten out of twelve councilors voted to restore ceremonies to the rightful date. So it's a win for common sense and it's a win for representative government. Lizen Caleber. Imagine if our representatives started surveying the people they represent as to how they would like to be represented in this country, come up with a brand new form of government called, I don't know, representative democracy. Possibility sounds incredible, an I get one.
Speaker 3: This is amazing and here's hoping it's a trend that really takes off a lot of these councils surprisingly made this move last year when, of course there was a lot of talk about the voice, and initially it was looking popular in the polls. So I think a lot of councils just took it upon themselves to assume, we know what our people want. They clearly want the date change. We're all virtue signaling in the direction of voting big fat yes at the referendum. Of course, as the months continued and the referendum day became closer and closer, it became very obvious in the polls that this thing had a snowflake's chance in hell of getting up. So you do wonder how many of these councils that has been part of the onus for them going, you know what, we probably need to revisit this.
Speaker 4: That hats off to Ony council, hats off.
Speaker 3: To Rockingham, because this is quite a humbling thing for a council to do. They don't then have to go back and ask the residents and then act accordingly. But it's interesting to note that in each of these instances it was the residents getting in touch with their councilors. I used to be a city councilor seriously, people smash them with your emails. Get in their numbers matter because it drives them to take action like this and yes, even reverse their own decisions.
Speaker 1: Well you know what I mean. Most of the correspondence councilors received, as you would know, is from wackos. Usually busybodies send ten emails a day to complain about things. So we need more normal people to come out and say what they actually think. I think what's happened here is that people are actually starting to feel more comfortable to say that they like Australia Days. The moment I think all of this turned was January this year, when, of course Woolworth's to say I did that they wouldn't have any Australia Day paraphernalia for sale in their supermarkets, and there was quite a public backlash that then forced Woolworths to actually stock some gear and say, oh no, we never meant that in the first blaze. Don't worry, I rubbish. We know what they were trying to do. But it was the first time I feel like people actually stood up and said, no, we want Australia Day to be celebrated on January the twenty sixth, and I think that's emboldened people to actually come out and say what they think. The Voice has probably played a small part in that as well, because it was proof that the silent majority is actually the majority. Even though most of the media was taken up by people saying must vote yes, you must vote yes, et cetera, et cetera. The activists haven't taken any notice of it. They're just going hell for leather and pretending none of this ever happened. But real Australians are actually feeling like they can show a bit of national pride and thank God for that. I just hope this catches on and other council's cotton on and go, well, hang on, maybe we should commission a survey of our residents as well. What a novel idea asking them what they want. Now, look, it is better if you do that before you make decisions instead of after making decisions. That would be ideal. But we must give credit where it is due to Onley and Rockingham for taking notice of their residents when they've come through with their views. And it's interesting to note as well that of the people who were polled in this survey by Rockingham, of the Indigenous people who were polled, even the majority of them said they would prefer Australia Day celebrations to be on Australia Day itself. I mean, how much clearer can it be? And let's hope it keeps going. There's a campaign going in Adelaide now after the only council decision on Monday night up in the Adelaide Hills to get their council to reverse their decision. A bunch of residents have banded together. They're running a campaign. I think we've got a photograph here of some good local patriots fund pay us action group where it is. There's even a petition that's gone around up there, a thousand signatory saying that they want Australia Day back where it is. We need to see more of this because I know sometimes it can feel like you're swimming against the tide and that your vote really doesn't matter, and your view really doesn't matter because everyone you hear in the media and your counselors and your politicians isn't taking much notice of what you're saying. But what we have here is concrete proof that we can actually make a difference. Ordinary Australians have to speak up about the things in which they are interested and the things in which they believe.
Speaker 2: The other interesting part of this, and you mentioned it, Liz, is that since the Voice referendum, people have been emboldened. It was about sixty percent nationally that voted against the Voice. In Only it was sixty percent that voted to keep Australia Day on January twenty six. In Rockingham it's been sixty three percent. So that number seems to be fairly consistent so far and overwhelmingly means a majority of Australians aren't interested in race wars, aren't interested in revising everything. As one of the residents from the Adelaide Hills who we just pictured on screen said, history is history. Some of it's good, some of it's bad. We've got to move on with the world and get on as Australians. I think that's the overwhelming sentiment. And so let's hope this momentum continues.
Speaker 3: Well, don patriots, we ride at dawn for King and Country. And it's interesting to note that that Ratepayers Association in the Hills there who are on this bandwagon to get their council to overturn their decision as well.
Speaker 4: They said, if you don't.
Speaker 3: We're organizing our own massive extravaganza in Federation Park on January twenty sixth anyway.
Speaker 4: So you can sob the National Day.
Speaker 3: But we won't be to the UN General Assembly now because we love paying out on these guys, so when they sit, we pay attention. And one of our favorites, Argentinian President Javier Malay, took the podium today to give them a piece of his mind. It's no secret that he's no fan of the UN. And the funny thing about this is when he takes the podium, he's no laughing matter. Since coming to power in December of last year, he's done so many of the things that he promised. In fact, Argentina's share sorry not stock market, I was about to say shareholders, that would be very nice, but you might want to invest in Argentina.
Speaker 4: Once I've told you this.
Speaker 3: Argentina's stock market has surged more than forty four percent, making it the top performing this year. This guy has achieved wonders. He has slashed federal agencies by half from eighteen to nine. He's slashed public spending by thirty percent. And would you believe it when you're slash public spending. What happens inflation goes down. When he came to power in December, it was twenty five percent inflation in December. It now sits at a humble four point two percent in comparison. So they know that they can't can't laugh this guy off stage even as he's going full Skirch scorched earth on them, completely condemning their patch for the future which they all signed up to. On Sunday, he took the podium to say Argentina.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't be having a bar of it.
Speaker 3: He called it socialist, and he said that instead Argentina will be a vanguard for freedom.
Speaker 4: Here he is.
Speaker 5: This organization stopped looking after its main aim set out in its founding declaration and started to change. This was an organization that had essentially been thought up as a shield to protect the rain of men, and it became the leviathan with various tentacles purporting to decide not only what not only what each nation state should do, but also how all the citizens in the world should live. That's how we move from being an organization that pursued peace to an organization that imposes an ideolog ideology on its members about an endless list of topics in society.
Speaker 3: Well, it's far less rousing having a female with a meat mouse like voice voice it for him. But I'm telling you he went scorched earth. This was exactly what he did at the World Economics Davos in January, where he basically just attended to tell them how trash they were and that he wasn't signing up to any of their agendas. I love that he still bothers to attend and they still give him the platform, knowing that he's just going.
Speaker 4: To do it again.
Speaker 1: Well he stares him down. He just looks them straight in the eye and tells him exactly what he thinks. And we are so lacking in political leaders like that these days, who are willing to stand up for conviction. I mean, we need to get Harvey Malay here and run all of the councils and you wouldn't have to worry about Australia Day not being held on January twenty six. And the funniest thing about this Pact for the Future that most of the UN signed up to this week is that the whole idea of it is to save the UN from becoming, you know, no longer a force in the world because even the UN realizes now that they are on the nose. Antonio Guterres, bloke who runs a shop, said this will bring multilateralism back from the brink. I mean, that was the whole point of this pack for the future, which by the way, says we've got to go faster towards the boards and all of this sort of thing. But they're just openly admitting we're a bit stuffed here. We've lost our way. As Malay said, there, the whole reason the UN was set up was to stop conflict in the world, and you've utterly failed in your duty to do that. They know that they've come up with some cockeyed idea about will go faster towards baris. He said, for even's sake, you are no good anymore. Just pack it in, go home, let us run our own countries.
Speaker 2: Good on him, and he went beyond that, and he explained why the UN has lost all of its credibility because it has no moral authority. He talked about the fact that the United Nations is meant to stand for human rights and yet has some of the worst human rights abuses on those committees. He talked about the that Afghanistan, which won't allow women to show any bare skin in public, is on the Committee for Women's Rights. And then he promised those at the United Nations that Argentina would end its long history of neutrality when it came to votes at the United Nations, and he said, we don't care who proposes what idea. We don't care whether there's consensus, whether it's popular or not. We will take an active stance in voting for freedom and for human rights, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of ownership of property, limited government. And he said Argentina, from this point on, I'm not just going to sit back, and I'm thinking about this with Penny Wong's recent decision for Australia to be neutral when it came to that vote on Israel, because we don't want to upset people. We don't only get involved, we're trying to play politics. And Malia simply saying I will be a person of conviction and of principle and you can count on that from Argentina. And I am looking for a airline ticket because it sounds like a pretty good place to be. And of course he ended the speech with his now famous line which I guess it's the second time I've heard him do it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You've probably heard more.
Speaker 1: Of him than I have.
Speaker 2: But what does he say? Long Live Freedom? And then he ends up live freedom damn it and leaves the stage. So he's quite the showman. But as you said, Liz, he's got the credibility to back it up.
Speaker 4: They have to listen to him.
Speaker 3: It's working for him, leaving, walking, breathing, talking proof of how quickly a country can turn around under the right leadership. Which is why I always joke about our government. You can't be this bad at your job accidentally. It's not an accident. You know what is conducive to human flourishing, You know what is conducive to a flourishing economy. You won't even admit that government spending drives inflation. You guys are still just spending it like it's well, not your money, it's our money, so you don't care. These guys are not doing the most basic things.
Speaker 4: Every time we talk.
Speaker 3: About our failing birth Rateyett, No matter what we're talking about, our government is falling short. These guy's only been in the job a matter of months, and the transformation Argentina has seen under this man's leadership is just extraordinary. But it's a big I guess embarrassment to others looking on because he's showing them up. This is just what one strong leader who genuinely loves his country, who genuinely wants the best for his people, this is what he can pull off. And he doesn't go to places like the UN. He doesn't go to places like the World Economic Forum.
Speaker 4: To press the flesh and just fit in and not be awkward.
Speaker 3: He goes there to act absolutely like full barrels blasting, tell them what he thinks of them, and say, you guys don't do what's best for us. You don't do what's best for any of these people signing up to this pact.
Speaker 4: We're not in on it.
Speaker 3: And he said in his speech, I encourage all you other follow me, follow my example.
Speaker 4: Don't sign up to this crap.
Speaker 1: You're onto a trick going to Argentina. I've got to say, James, they have great steak over there, and they have very good red wine. I'm going to join you if we're going over there. And just very briefly, while we're talking about the UN, Joe Biden got up and gave a speech as well, sort of you know, closing out his presidency and revising history. And he was talking about pulling out of Afghanistan, which James mentioned before, and he said it was a hard decision, but the right decision. Well, yes, tell that to the troops who died over there, and tell that to the Taliban. Well, they think it was the right decision because of course you left all your weapons behind and they just simply moved in and took them. Well done, hard decision, but the right decision. Give me a break. While we're on overseas news, Harvey and Malay and Biden have been speaking at the UN. Sir Kia Stama, of course, the new Prime Minister of the United Kingdom has been speaking at the Labor Conference. And I tell you what he has come through with a chilling warning. Now he does not know it is a chilling warning. He's hid it straight faced as though it's a good thing. But it should be taken as a warning. Sir Kia has promised to take more control of your life. Take a listen.
Speaker 6: Markets don't give you control. That's almost literally their point. So if you want a country with more control, if you want the great forces that affect your community to be better managed, whether that's migration, climate change, law and order, or security at work. Then that does mean more decisive government, and that is a labor government. Taking back control is a labor.
Speaker 1: Argument, taking back control, by which he means you have less choice and less freedom and the government makes more decisions for you. He's not even hiding it, he's not lying about it, saying this is Labor Party policy. We control run your life as much as humanly possible. In fact, he says that is the point of government. Well, I'll tell you what, you've done, a bloody bad job of it for the last one hundred odd years, there and here and everywhere else. As if we want to give them more control. But he's like, sure, you gave me a massive majority. I'm just going to take over the old joint. He reminds me, to fix.
Speaker 3: Your problems, give us more power, make it all go away.
Speaker 1: Ignoring that they created the problems in the first place.
Speaker 4: This should be utterly terrified.
Speaker 3: I mean, I watched this entire speech and I was just like, this is some totalitarian, tyrannical crap. This guy is saying, in a very authoritative manner, he used the words control or uncontrolled fifteen times uncontrolled to use to refer to things that need more control. And of course he's talking about more government interfere and this was such a stark contrast to remember when he gave his first speech as Prime minister and he literally said, I quote that he would tread more lightly on your lives end quote. What what's changed, kids, Darma?
Speaker 4: Now it's all about control.
Speaker 1: We need more control.
Speaker 4: Any problems that we have is due to a lack of control.
Speaker 3: It's utterly completely unveiled their real agenda and the real nature of the man who's now elected to be Prime minister.
Speaker 2: As I'm watching his speech today, I'm reminded of Ronald Reagan's words the nine most terrifying words in the English language. I'm from the government and.
Speaker 1: I'm here to help.
Speaker 2: When did anybody ever believe that giving the government more control was going to make things better? The one thing I did like about his speech is he promised that he was not afraid to be unpopular, and on that score, I'd say he's doing very well because he's increasingly unpopular. The Daily Telegraph, which reported his speech, or sorry The Telegraph in the UK, which reported his speech had at last count I think it was just over six thousand comments on that particular news report, which is astonishing that of quick flick through there were no positive ones at all. So, you know, we've talked about all that's going on in the United Nations. It's very interesting. The clampdown on freedoms in the UK, that's fascinating. There's the US presidential election at the moment, assassination attempts on Trump News that there are five hit squads after him. All of that is very interesting. So when you turn on the World Today on ABC Radio, you'd expect to get updated on all of these things. In fact, the ABC's premier radio program advertises itself as presenting events and issues of interest and importance to all Australians.
Speaker 1: So we turned it on.
Speaker 2: Today and we heard that Ballarat has a transgender op shop.
Speaker 7: An inclusive opshop has opened in Regional Victoria, providing a safe space for gender diverse people to swap, try on and purchase clothes. It all started two years ago in one woman's garage in Ballarat. Is a way to give the local trans and gender diverse community a chance to find gender affirming clothes Now, thanks to some community fundraising and a grant, the shop is out of the garage and onto the street from Ballarat. Rhannon Stevens prepared this report nice.
Speaker 3: Jas ten bucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, it's.
Speaker 8: A bargain, yes for Ballarat resident Charlotte Johnson. She says when she first transitioned, her style was constantly changing, so having an affordable place to buy clothes is really helpful.
Speaker 1: You think you know what.
Speaker 9: You want and then the next day you go, oh, I hate this song now, I hate what I'm wearing now to want to change it that quickly as well, if you can walk in and go, oh, I just want to grab like a couple of things. I think this is what I want to look like now, and then maybe next week you go, oh god, I hate what I've got now.
Speaker 2: God bless all the people using that fine facility. But events and issues of interest and importance to all Australians, we do you reckon that would rank in importance to all Australians.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just such an ABC story, isn't it. I mean I brought to the story the other night about how the ABC was saying that television was now quote unquote vehemently bisexual. I mean, you know who's thought about this, No one who cares about it. No one. And you can imagine my shock this afternoon. I do actually listen to the World Today most days because my god, Blase, I think it pays to see what the enemy is saying. And I got to say, they do actually do a fair bit of decent work and journalism on that program. But they then rounded out today by telling us about a transgender op shop in Ballarat, Like nowhere else would that get a run except the ABC. It goes to prove I suppose that the ABC knows their audience well, because most ABC listeners were probably listening to the Oh, isn't that lovely? There's a transgender op shop in Ballarat. I thought a transgender person could go to the same op shops as the rest of us. I mean it's said they're, oh, you know, I changed my mind every ten minutes about what I want to wear. I mean, that just sounds like every woman I've ever known, for Heaven's sake. But they pointed out in this story that apparently Ballarat ten percent of their population identifies as LGBTIQ, which is twice the national average. Ballarat, of all places. Many times I like Ballarat. It's a bloody cold place, I can tell you. But I've got no idea why they would have such a high rate. But obviously it's enough of a market for a transgender op shop.
Speaker 3: Well, I just don't see how it would differ from a normal op shop, Like these people don't wear different clothes to us.
Speaker 4: I mean, because I turn over my wardrobe so much, I can go in and it's ten bucks. I'm like, that's every op shop. That's what op shops do. I would know. I'm a very avid opshop on myself.
Speaker 2: Now, the point of it is, if you're a biological man and you're looking to buy a dress and you go into a women's clothing store, the people are concerned with this op shop said, you know, you feel judged and so this is a place where no one's going to look at them wondering what is going on.
Speaker 3: So let's know that that is true in today's day and age, and it's very typical of the ABC to once again be pushing this narrative.
Speaker 4: Australia is racist, Australia is bigoted. I simply don't believe that.
Speaker 3: Obviously, if there's transgender people out there who would just feel more comfortable in this environment. That's awesome and I'm glad that we've created this space. But essentially, I don't believe that we need these kinds of spaces for someone to go shopping.
Speaker 4: Australia is not that country.
Speaker 1: If I saw someone who looked like they were a man in the women's section of David Jones, Mars or River, I'd probably assumed that they were shopping for their partner. My first thought wouldn't be why is there a man in the woman's section? Is I really don't think anyone actually keys I.
Speaker 2: Would end well evidently the ABC, and that's the problem. Report some real stories, especially on the world today. Give us some stories from you know, the world.
Speaker 3: Are you saying this doesn't affect the state of the nation, James, what a bigot to America. Now when Trump has decided that should he become president, he's going to get a manufacturing ambassador.
Speaker 4: He is sick of.
Speaker 3: Companies migrating overseas for better rates.
Speaker 4: And better terms so they can be more lucrative. He says, now we are going to be going after.
Speaker 3: Their jobs and bringing them back to America, where they belong in frankly where they want to be here, he is addressing one of is rallies.
Speaker 1: We're going to bring thousands and thousands of businesses and trillions of dollars in wealth back to the good old USA.
Speaker 2: That's what we're going to be doing it, and doing it fast.
Speaker 3: I want German car companies to become American car companies.
Speaker 1: I want them to build their plans here. I want to be China in electronics production, and we'll be able to do that easily.
Speaker 3: Make America great again, he said.
Speaker 4: For years we have watched them steal our jobs.
Speaker 3: Under a Trump presidency, I'm getting them all back and then some Why don't we hear our own prime minister talk like this, like there's so much more we could do in this space, and which was particularly highlighted during the pandemic, just how we make nothing here but we have zero manufacturing here.
Speaker 2: We're going to manufacture solar panels.
Speaker 1: Have you not heard?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sorry, I forgot. We're going to be the green energy superpower of the world.
Speaker 2: That's the manufacing boom, but we are going to be the green energy superpower that will kill all the koalas along the way exactly we talked about, we have no food to eat. All the agricultural land will be used up.
Speaker 1: But I just hope he can actually pull this off, because what he's saying is that he will make offers to companies to come over and set up shop in the US, and he will give them tax breaks for doing so, which I think is brilliant. I mean, I've argued for a common time that we should have states doing that here in Australia. Why shouldn't South Australia or Victoria or New South Wales say to a business that's headquartered in another state, if you come and set up shop in our state, we'll give you a tax break, we might give you some discounted land on which to put your building up and whatever, and encourage business to do things like that to move around create competitive federalism, which they have between the States and the United States. We simply don't have it here and I think we're all the worse off for it. So what he's saying is he'll give tax breaks to companies if they come and set up shop in America, and then he will put tariffs on companies that refuse to set up shop in America. That's great, it just relies on companies actually coming and setting up shop. Of course, the reason that companies aren't working and building and doing stuff in America is because it's cheaper to do it elsewhere. It's been like that for a long time. That's why we don't have a car manufacturing industry in this country anymore. So if no one takes up the office, sorry, and then Trump whacks all these tariffs on people, then you potentially end up in a situation where the product becomes more expensive for the consumer. You've actually got to make a situation where it is consusive to manufacture things in your country, and at the moment, in most of the West, it's simply too expensive to do that. Turning that around like, I'm glad he's giving it a go, or saying he'll give it a go, But to turn that around is a very big ship.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he's actually naming companies American companies that are thinking of moving offshore and saying, if you do this, we will slap tariffs on your products. So it's not just attracting investment, but it's making sure they keep the companies they've got and the factories open. I'm trying to think, what do we really manufacture in this country? Not that much anymore.
Speaker 1: Hot air from the ABC transit, and the of.
Speaker 2: Course he's thinking to putting particularly large tasks on Chinese goods, which goes to this point that our own government argued for all of three seconds and then forgot about it, that we need to gain some independence from China in the event of conflict in the future. We need to sort of mitigate against that. Trump's outright saying this is what we're going to do.
Speaker 1: Correct, and I hope he has luck at it, because if he can pull that off and he can get manufacturing back in the US, then it ought to be a blueprint for the rest of the Western world and countries like ours that used to be manufacturing superpowers. You go back fifty years and manufacturing was one of the biggest employers in this country. We simply don't have it now. We've brought you a few clips along the way in the last month or two from MASNBC because they've been having these sort of sit downs with what they think are ordinary people and asking them what they think about the presidential election. We brought you a clip of a reporter at MASNBC talking to black people about what they think about Kamalahara and saying, well, we don't actually think she's all that good. Probably not the response they expected. They asked a bunch of women what they thought of Kamala Harrison. They said, well, we don't really care that she's a woman. Oh my god, it's going so well for MSNBC. You'd imagine they were hoping they'd say, oh, Trump bad, Kamal are good? Will they manage to not pull it off again? Asking a bunch of workers, some of them manufacturing workers. These are unionists that they're interviewing what they think about January sixth, which of course was the quote unquote insurrection nearly four years ago where Donald Trump tried to overthrow the presidential result. Well, they were asked, what do you think of it?
Speaker 3: Have a listen, tell me about your level of interest in the criminal charges.
Speaker 4: And so forth.
Speaker 10: February sixth, January sex So I remember that day. I know he was the standing president. I'm not familiar with the chargers that are doing right against him. That I don't I'm not following that charge for the you know, there's multiple court cases going on.
Speaker 3: I'm just not.
Speaker 10: Familiar with it.
Speaker 3: I mean, that doesn't sound like it's going to be a factor in deciding who to work for.
Speaker 1: No, No, it doesn't sound like it's going to be a factor. Does it. Isn't it amazing when these narratives get shot by the very channels that are trumpeting them every day because they ask ordinary people what they think. And I just hope that this means that all of this law fair that has been waged upon Donald Trump, including about January sixth, on which they are trying to have him locked up so he either has to run the country from prison or is in prison before the election, which isn't going to happen now because of things that happened in the Supreme Court. But hopefully it means that the law fare has not cut through in the way they hoped it would. In fact, as I've been saying for a long time, I think it's worked in Trump's favor.
Speaker 4: I just love when they interview that guy.
Speaker 2: And as we were watching that clip, Liz was having a good old chuckle when you know, what do you think about the Insurrection's like, it just goes to show that it's really important to rust it on democrats who hate Donald Trump, but for the majority of the country, they see it for what it is. It's a distraction and they're really focused on cost of living, trying to find a house, and America's place in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like everybody else.
Speaker 2: Speaking of places in the world, Queensland has got awesome problems with crime. And if you want to know just how bad the problems with crime are, have look at this headline from the Courier Mail. Motorists in Queensland urged to lock up while driving after spate of carjackings. So if ever there's a government soft on crime, that's the kind of headline you're going to get. This comes two weeks after a sixty five year old grandmother was followed to her car by masked men, held up at knife point. They stole her BMW and police are now saying, well, if you want to be safe, we can't keep you safe, but you can keep yourself safe lock your doors while you're driving. It sounds a little bit like South Africa where they tell you do that and by the way, and run red lights. Don't stop for red lights either. But now we're getting this sort of advice from law enforcement officials in Queensland.
Speaker 3: Well, you'd think it's not advice that they would even need to give under these circumstances.
Speaker 4: But it made me realize I do this all the time. Is that just a female fee?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. Probably my car just automatically locks, like it just knows that you're not going to.
Speaker 4: Have I'm driving nowadays.
Speaker 1: Just know I won't be driving an oudy for much longer. It's an absolute limit. Well, my model is an absolute limit anyway, the money I put through them, m I put my mechanics kid through private school. Don't worry about that partly un exactly, But you're right, are we talking about Johannesburg or Brisbane here? Right? Okay? Sure it might be a quote unquote common sense thing to say lock your car, right, but you would like to think that in a first world city like Brisbane, the first world state like Queensland, that you would be safe to drive around without having to worry that you're going to be carjacked and that you have to lock the door all the time while you're sitting at the lights. It feels to me a bit like victim blaming, isn't it saying well, if you haven't locked your car door. Well, what did you expect? Of course a gang a young Queenslanders is going to come and steal your car from you.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean this is a government.
Speaker 2: We won't lock up criminals, but if you lock yourself in your car, see, then you'll be safe. I mean seriously that the government's got one job really keep people safe, and they're failing on an epic scale.
Speaker 4: And anger is yeah, sorted, We're done here for goodness.
Speaker 1: While we're on Queensland and motoring, the RACQ has called for people who drive caravans to be put through specialized training. And to that, I say, here here, now, the road toll in Queensland has gone through the roof this year. They are pouring over absolutely everything to work out why this is and what can possibly be done about it.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 1: The number of crashes that involve people towing caravans or light trailers isn't high, but it has prompted them to say, well, hang on a minute, we have quite a few problems here and things that could be done. This here is an example of a caravan being towed along and of course you get some crosswinds or whatever go on. You don't know how to handle it and you end up in the sticks. If you're towing a caravan, that is a very heavy piece of kit you have on the back of your car. And we just allow people to take off across the country wherever they're going, put this massive thing on the back of the car and expect that they know how to tow it, how to reverse it, how to deal with it in crosswinds, etc. It's not just like getting behind the fat five hundred wheel like you are actually towing something quite significant there. I can't see an argument for why you shouldn't have to undertake extra training to do that.
Speaker 11: For trust is like you, you're normally the one being like bloody count souls.
Speaker 3: This is just a g up.
Speaker 4: By government revenue raising.
Speaker 3: Now you've got to what a caravan license.
Speaker 4: You can't even just get.
Speaker 3: Your motor home, hoog it on the back of you and go for a drive. Now, this bloody grundy state government that would normally be you you're arguing for this.
Speaker 1: Of course, I'm not saying that it should cost you two hundred dollars to go and do it where you ought to have before you're allowed to put a caravan on the back of your car. I don't think that's unfair.
Speaker 3: You just accepted that the rate of this happening is very, very low.
Speaker 4: It's almost negligible.
Speaker 2: This is a sign that Caleb is getting older and he's starting to think, you know, becoming a great nomad going around.
Speaker 1: Kayle behind that think, be out of bullet fast. There's no toebar on it either. Before we go to a break, we talked earlier about Kyastama. If you haven't already seen this clip today, I'm about to introduce you to He was trying to talk about hostages being held in Gaza. He didn't talk about hostages.
Speaker 6: I call again from immediate ceasefire and Gaza, the return of the sausages, the hostages.
Speaker 1: On the return of the sausages. I mean, you know, if he wasn't talking about such a serious issue, to be even funnier, but where the heldag sausages come from? It was he thinking about his dinner.
Speaker 3: And he looks like he's reading from an auto You if someone's getting fired someone wrote sausages instead of hostages, or you miss Reddit, But sausages looks nothing like hostages. And also what part of your brain wouldn't be thinking nowhere in this speech. Am I referring to sausages? So this must be the wrong word. This is going to be a moment that he is going to wake up decades from now in a cold sweat at four am, getting bold upright in.
Speaker 4: Bed, still going. I cannot, Liz believe I said this.
Speaker 2: It was even worse than that. He went on to talk about sausages and mash immigration.
Speaker 1: We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 2: Can we come back. We'll look at what's making last tomorrow. Instick ground. Okay, let's take a look at what we'll be making news tomorrow. Caleb is starting it off in Tasmania.
Speaker 1: Indeed, I am where it says tomorrow, kicking it down the road. TASMANI has long away to contain. A deposit scheme is expected to be operating by the middle of next year. Parks Environment Minister Nick Dugen sears, Now you might say, well, who really gives a toss. We've had these things around the country for some time. New South Wales has got one, now I think Victoria's got one. Now South Australia's had one since about the nineteen eighties. Well, if you read on, it's is after a feasibility study in two thousand and nine, a cost benefit analysis in twenty fourteen, and a model framework into twenty eighteen, past the Container Refund Scheme Act in twenty twenty two. The regulations were drafted in twenty twenty three, and it will start in mid twenty twenty five. How long can it possibly take to sit up a scheme where you're taken your bottles and cans and they give you ten seats back.
Speaker 2: For goodness, the Great Wall of China was built in more time than that flipping legislation sixteen years wow, from feasibility study to okay, you can you know, return your containers for your deposit? Now, no wonder. We can't do anything in this country that's a container deposit.
Speaker 3: So when all these studies costs as well, I mean, we've probably spent enough on it to have built it three times over.
Speaker 11: We're amongst all these feasibility studies, cost benefit of analysts. Then we had a moral framework, Then we thought it about it a little few more years, and then we we drafted some legislation, and then we got that legislation passed, and now it's going to be starting mid next year.
Speaker 2: And you said model framework, I thought you said moral framework, and I thought that's.
Speaker 1: Going to take at Estar. He is about this. He's going to have this as part of his control regime over there, and it'll take.
Speaker 3: Justice to the front page of the odds Now. Game on visa appeals surge. Australia's courts and tribunals are bracing for tens of thousands of international students to appeal against the refusal or cancelation of their visas, amid concerns that foreign visa holders are gaming the system to circumvent a federal government push to slash net migration. We know we've got over seven hundred thousand, seven hundred thousand international students in the country right now.
Speaker 4: The federal government.
Speaker 3: Has said, hey, we're gonna slash that literally by three quarters. We're just going to have about a quarter of that. I don't know about you, but I don't quite believe them. But get this, then all those international student do is lodge an appeal and that can take years to process. So then we just have these government agencies working on these appeals four years. They've already been hit with well over ten thousand of these appeals since September last year.
Speaker 4: This is just an absence nightmare.
Speaker 3: Why can't the government simply say, especially to those international students who came here because they'd signed up to those ghost unis that never even existed and never taught anyone anything.
Speaker 4: See you later. This is this is the visas canceled, goodbye.
Speaker 1: This is the point. Right they need to expedite these appeals reviews stat because the Australian is saying that it's understood that most of these refusals are students quote unquote from India and China, so we know what they're up to. They've come here on a student visa because it's the way to get into the country, and then they want to stay forever. Government, quite rightly, and good on the alban Easy government for actually taking the right tone on this for once has turned out and said no, you're abusing the visa system. You ought to go. They then just find a way to stay here for years extra as if we cannot find a way to do this faster than taking years and years and years. Just another thing the government.
Speaker 11: Can sell you.
Speaker 2: At the moment I read this this evening, I got on the phone, rang my son. I said, ditch your plumbing apprenticeship. Become a migration lawyer. That's the future, my son, He'll make a fortune.
Speaker 4: You'll never be out of business.
Speaker 3: To the second headline on the front of the os ABC of irony in chairs call. ABC chair Kim Williams has warned of the dangers of quote fake news end quote, less than a week after the public broadcaster was forced to establish an independent review when it emerged that it's seriously misrepresented the actions of an Australian soldier during a twenty twelve operation in Afghanistan. The article goes on to say that, delivering his keynote address at the Lowry in This Institute, Kim Williams spoke of quote the vital importance of trustworthy news coverage about international affairs. A strong media, led by people who believe in professional journalistic ethics is one of our most important democratic assets.
Speaker 4: Will it would be Kim if we had one. I mean, does he have some sort of.
Speaker 3: Weird ponchong for I don't know, self flagellating in public.
Speaker 4: Behind a podium.
Speaker 2: ABC chair warns Australians do not watch the ABC essentially that's the story, right, Well, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, look, going back to what we were talking about, earlier. They are actually doing accurate journalism now because they have correctly identified that there is a transgender optop in Ballarat. They didn't bagger that story up. But let's just hope people at the ABC were taking notice of what their chairman said today because of it. Even as I said, irony is dead, it is.
Speaker 2: It is no need for satire anymore. They're doing it to themselves. The career mail front page shortened memories, Labor revives negative gearing cuts plan. Anthony Elbanzi and his Treasurer Jim Chalmers have refused to rule out changes to negative gearing amid revelations Treasury officials investigated policy options. The prospect of resurrecting this tax, of course, revives memories of Bill Shorten losing the twenty nineteen campaign when he made all sorts of promises. The interesting thing about this story is it's only a week ago, speaking of the ABC that Anthony Elberizi, when asked about this, replied, that's not a very clever question and tried to pooh poo it. And now we find out the government have been seeking all.
Speaker 1: Sorts of advice.
Speaker 3: Well, this is why he responded like that, because Patricia Carvellers simply asked him is this off the table or not? And instead of answering yes or no, he got really snarky, in which case we knew the answer wasn't yes, it's off the table, was it? This government can't seem to help itself. First they weren't going to change anything about your super. Then they change stuff about you Super. Then they weren't going to do the stage cars three tax cards.
Speaker 4: That wasn't a thing. Everyone calmed down.
Speaker 3: Then Capital Brief busted them and leaked the info saying that YO know that charmers. The Treasurer has asked the relevant departments to get cooking some option should they decide to take that route.
Speaker 4: They took that route.
Speaker 3: Now we've been gas lit and are now finding out that this too is definitely not off the table, in fact pretty much underway if he's already tasked them up.
Speaker 4: With looking at options.
Speaker 3: But what I can't understand is this close to an election, you're begging to.
Speaker 1: Lose the bloke has done for brains? Why well, because possibly they're sidling up to the Greens in the event that they end up in a hung parliament. Because of course that the greens want, but it is so dumb on so many levels. It will lead to higher rents because if you can't negatively gear your property and you want to continue to own the property, you've got to get the money from somewhere, so you'll jack the rent up, or you'll put the property on the market. And the people renting the properties aren't just magically going to have the money to go and buy them. The people who will buy them are even richer investors. So labor will actually funnel more money into the pockets of even richer people. Great labor policy, ain't well, We're.
Speaker 2: Going to go to a break when we come back. The Chinese zoo apologizing for their panda exhibit, which turned out to be a pack of dogs.
Speaker 4: That's coming up in a moment.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we hear a lot of confessions, but this admission from a Chinese zoo, Liz, this one, it's up there.
Speaker 4: I absolutely love this.
Speaker 3: So a Chinese zoo has been forced to confess that their pandas are in fact not pandas. After visitors to the Shanwei Zoo in China's eastern Guangdong province, they were so excited to see these pandas advertised, They went to the enclosure, but were really confused when these pandas began barking and panting like dogs. The zoo then tried it on, saying that these were a rare breed of panda dogs, before eventually confessing that they just dyed two puppies black and white to resemble.
Speaker 2: Know how long were they on display before people surely people realized Well.
Speaker 3: This footage then went viral, right, so people all around the world are.
Speaker 11: Commenting on it, being like that is not a panda in any way.
Speaker 1: Shape, or it's not even the right side. It's like it's nothing. I've got to give them points for creativity because because doing that dye job on a dog, I imagine cannot be an easy time.
Speaker 4: They would have put it to sleep.
Speaker 1: That's quite. It reminds me of you know, Fine Cotton, which was in the nineteen eighties, the greatest ringing of all time, where they wanted to get a much faster horse to run under the name of Fine Cotton, which was really slow. It was the biggest betting plunge in history, right, and the three idiots who organized all of this were literally on the morning of the race standing in the front yard of this joint in suburban Brisbane, realizing that having dyed the horse with box dye from the supermarket turned out bright orange, and then standing the lawn, hosing it down and then painting up its feet with like white house painting stuff. Then they tried to.
Speaker 2: This story raises a question, right, Remember when Anthony Elbaneze went to China and everyone wanted to know, so what did you do? What did you talk about?
Speaker 1: Is like, we talked about.
Speaker 2: The pandas drinking. Those were the pandas and Elbow went and saw and he was so enamored with I wouldn't put it past him.
Speaker 3: I have a friend who genuinely believes that pandas were just created by China panda diplomacy, because you only lease a panda, right, You can't own your own panda. They're all Chinese owned and they just lease them out and we pay how much money.
Speaker 4: Year in and year out?
Speaker 3: To look at these bears who contribute nothing to the ecosystem. They'd be utterly useless in the wild. They'd be dead within sixty seconds.
Speaker 1: Like they do.
Speaker 3: Seem to be the most fake kind of made up animal ever.
Speaker 1: Now you can now you can own your own panda. Just get your dog and dark very quickly. Before by the way, there's no pandas in Springfield, Ohio. Before we go Spain. While we're on the animal theme, has decided to give primates human rights. This is orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos. They've been given human rights quote unquote because they've decided that they should not be subjected to animal testing because they are so closely related to humans. You know, I understand it to animal testing on the nose, but I've got to tell you. If it's the difference between me being able to survive because through some medical treatment and a gorilla surviving, I'm going to sacrifice the gorilla.
Speaker 2: That's it from us stick Around. Coming up is The Reader Penney Show. Good Night,