Speaker 1: Apod Jake Production. Welcome back to another episode of Am I a Bad Mum? Podcast?
Speaker 2: New Week.
Speaker 1: I have done absolutely nothing towards Christmas. Nothing, not a thing.
Speaker 2: We've still got time, I know I have time.
Speaker 1: Remember that year I was so impressed with you. Remember that year that you lay by all your Christmas gifts for the kids in like June July and then paid it off and then literally picked it up in December, so organized paid the ladies at the charity fifty dollars to wrap it all. How reallyhing.
Speaker 2: Ah, I can tell you this year it is not like that at all, And that memory of that year even makes me relaxed, Like just the that you sold that to me then I was like, why wouldn't you do it any other way? That sounds blissful. I've got a slight issue, though, and that is because the ages in which my children are now, they're not just wanting that bulk by from Target of toys. And that year was kind of like I got lucky because they were still into toys. They still wanted different toys, Like my girls were definitely you know, a Lego here or there. Yeah, they're not wanting that toys anymore. So that takes me into another whole space, like you're in another whole world of presence. But I'm kind of like in that.
Speaker 1: Middle in between, stay in between.
Speaker 2: I'm not a baby anymore. I'm not wanting toys.
Speaker 1: But also I think, especially with Gracie, is that I'm wanting stuff that probably is an age appropriate right now a hundred. But I'm wanting it because I see all the other girls and the older girls having it. So i want the white Fox.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: However, I'm not old enough to wear it yet. Yeah I could, to the point now. I looked at Amelia's shoes the other day and I was like, oh, I really want to get myself a pair of those, And I was like, she's at school all day, just wear them, Just wear them.
Speaker 2: I'm not far off that I'm okay with sharing things to a degree, but I want to share all.
Speaker 1: Be careful what you wish for because they'll be stealing your stuff. I know you won't be able to find it when you want to wear it, or it will be damaged because I don't give a shit because you paid for it.
Speaker 2: I'll just have to get a lock box. Yeah you did from Bunnings and stew it all the way. Yep.
Speaker 1: Am I a bad mum for not knowing what to do with them?
Speaker 2: Is this in general or is this just because you're coming into that wonderful time of year.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Make them get extra days at work?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am. And so I'm panicking a little bit because literally it's school holidays, like school holidays is pretty much here. Yeah, and there's still a couple of weeks before I take a break. Yeah, And I don't want them just sitting on screens all day, and so I really am struggling to think what the hell am I going to do with them? It's a long time. Yeah, it's like they go back to school after Australia Day. It's January, like end of January.
Speaker 2: And it's only the start of December.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to working now, because they've both got part time jobs, is there a system in which they can request additional hours or like pick up shifts when people are not well or is that just delegated one hundred percent from the workplace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. So this particular workplace have so many kids working for them, and they're all casuals. So they literally each week they have a look at their app they don't even they don't speak to a person. They have a look at their app and they see which shifts they've been assigned, And.
Speaker 2: We just want to put it out there on the record that they are not working in like a TIMU or machine factory.
Speaker 1: When you say there's so.
Speaker 2: Many kids in Yeah, they're not working in there. They're not working in a factory of that. But yeah, so there's a lot of that particular age group that are probably looking for the same sort of stuff, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so they just get what they've given. So some weeks they might have two shifts, some weeks they don't have any.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just remember back to my first part time job and I was like I was only given certain shifts. And then I was like, no, I'm really I want to work like I want to work every minute that I can because I was chasing the cash.
Speaker 1: I said to Holly the other day, I was like, don't forget to put because you can request like if you're going on holiday or whatever, you can block out dates. I said, don't forget to request Christmas Day off, and she went, no, I want to work Christmas Day. So do you know how much money you get for working Christmas Day. I was like, yeah, it's Triple Time. Yeah, that's a lot of money. That's a lot of money fast food by the way, just for anyone that didn't know, just to mac donald if you don't know, it's macas Mickey D's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd probably be an easy shift. I would say for Triple Time. I'm just going to say, I don't know how many people would be.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't want to put it out there, and I wanted to say that that. I was like, sadly, I think you'd be surprised.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't mind, like maybe a few hotcakes for Brecky, but like really for the whole anyway, be.
Speaker 1: Can't I was like thinking, family pack what are they called?
Speaker 2: Get a cheesy family Christmas.
Speaker 1: I don't know who is having Meccas for their Christmas Day lunch, but there would definitely be some people.
Speaker 2: The part of me that would attract me to want to go the air for lunch on Christmas Day is just the ease and the convenience, because you know how stressful Christmas Day is when you're cooking for however many people you've got at your house. Yeah, that ship is stressful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do this is just reminded me. It's completely off topic. But back in the day in England, my mom and dad built a house. So they bought a block of land and they built the house. Yep, there's laws around. I don't think you can do this here. But we lived on the back of the block of land in a caravan for a year. What the hose? Yeah, there's a few more.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And for Christmas Day, my mom went, there's no way I'm cooking a full Christmas dinner in a caravan. We went to the supermarket. Everyone got to pick their favorite food. Just grab your favorite food, sausage rolls, like oh shit, that was all easy to do and just lay it out on the table and that was Christmas dinner. Or we didn't quite go to macas, but I mean, each their own.
Speaker 2: I'm down with it. The ease inconvenience for me. Look, as a parent, now you've got to get through the presence in the morning. Then you've got to feed everyone for breakfast. Do you know.
Speaker 1: I had a funny realization because Christmas obviously with kids, so Christmas Eve is a big night. So I found that a big I would be wrapping to Christmas Eve I'd like be up there with a glass of wine wrapping, and then I'd forget to label a present and be like, next day, the fuck was that one for?
Speaker 2: And then she'd have another wine's.
Speaker 1: It would just get worse and worse. But I would leave the wrapping to Christmas Eve, which is stressful. Then you've got Christmas Eve itself where your kids won't go to sleep because mom was so excited. They'd get so excited for Santa coming. We'd walk up the street in pajamas. We'd have a look in the sky. We'd point out, you know, an airplane with lights and be like, oh, there are is, Like he's coming, quick cut of sleep, go sleep. I remember Channel nine did this really great news story one year where it was breaking news and then it was like there are too many kids still awake, Santa can't land, and like they went they did this like whole story. They like shot it at the airport. They were showing you know, delays with planes taking off because they were waiting for Santa to land his slave. But he couldn't land because too many kids were still awake, and so all the kids were like we have to go sleeping to sleep. It got to the point where Amelia in particular, got so excited on Christmas Eve she literally couldn't sleep, like she'd get upset about it because she could not sleep. She wanted to go to sleep, and she couldn't get sleep because she was so excited. Jay and I would get drunk because we'd have to stay up so late. We'd get drunk, and then we would have to go to sleep and set our alarm for the middle of the night to be able to do the Christmas stuff while she was asleep, because she was still alive at am. Honestly, the other day, rach I was talking about the fact that we have teenagers now and they sleep in a little bit longer, and I think Christmas Day, I think they'll still get up at you know, if they got triple time, certainly not going to be four am like it used to be. The amount of years rage that I remember having breakfast on Christmas morning, eating to try and sober myself up because I was still drunk from the night before.
Speaker 2: Mary Chris, mom's over there, Mary Chris, Oh my god, she's heart messed this morning.
Speaker 1: We would literally get up open the presence. I'd be like, okay, great, that's done. I'm going back to bed.
Speaker 2: Yep, kids, you're going to be good. You will just keep playing with your toys. Mom's just gonna have a little nap. She'll be back in an hour. Jay's probably seen their curse years.
Speaker 1: They're like, why do we always have to have an afternoon nap? On Christmas Day? I was like, do you know how much sleep we had? But two hours sleep?
Speaker 2: Wrap it up, kids, My Christmas Days