Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the late Base.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storra and Caleb Bond.
Speaker 3: Coming up tonight.
Speaker 4: A woman taken to court for feeding her neighbor's cat. Yes, in Switzerland, that's a crime. We'll explain why a little later. Plus when we look at tomorrow's headlines, the Greens searching for a new leader after Adam Bant was ejected from Parliament by voters, and the New South Wales Police looking for a new commissioner after the sudden resignation of Karen Wheb. We'll get to that shortly, but we're starting tonight with artificial intelligence, which is developing at such an astonishingly fast rate it poses a threat to the survival of humanity. That's the opinion of an American billionaire, Paul Tudor Jones, after he met privately with forty leaders. He says household names we would all recognize in politics, finance, science, and tech. He says, these leaders all agreed that AI is set to transform things like education and healthcare, so that's good. But on the flip side, he said, all of these leaders who we would all know if we knew their names agreed AI could easily be turned against humanity.
Speaker 3: Here's some of what he had to say.
Speaker 1: AI clearly poses an imminent threat, security threat, imminent in our lifetimes to humanity. And they said the competitive dynamic is so intense among the companies and then geopolitically between Russia and China, that there's no agency, no ability to stop and say maybe we should think about what actually we're creating and building here and so. And the final question is, well, what are you doing about He said, well, I'm buying one hundred acre is in the Midwest. I'm getting cattle and chickens, and I'm laying in provisions.
Speaker 2: For real, for real, for real.
Speaker 1: And that was obviously a little disconcerting. And then he went on to say, I think it's going to take an accident where fifty to one hundred million people die to make the world take the thread of this really seriously now.
Speaker 4: As if that's not alarming enough, Juda Jones went on to say that these forty leaders in politics, finance, science, and DAI had a breakout session where they were presented with a series of propositions and asked whether they agreed or disagreed.
Speaker 3: Have a listened to what happened.
Speaker 1: One of the propositions was, there's a ten percent chance in the next twenty years that AI will kill fifty percent of humanity. So there's a ten percent chance that AI will kill fifty percent of humanity in the next twenty years. All four modelers we're on the agree side of that, All four of the leading developers of the AAR models, we're on that side.
Speaker 4: What's really alarming about this, Calebin Lizz is this isn't some crank from left field. This is a very well respected businessman who has strong contacts in the key aspects of American society and culture, saying this is what they're all thinking.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and we've heard this from Elon Musk himself. He's right at the forefront of theirs. He's the brain chips guy. He's a total He's a very passionate transhumanist, always has been, has never tried to hide that.
Speaker 6: We know that he's working on these humanoids.
Speaker 5: And he's very excited about pumping thousands of them out. We've shown you that story before here he was talking. Recently, also said this on Joe Rogan's podcast, the most watched listen to podcast in the world.
Speaker 6: But here he is talking.
Speaker 5: At a second conference saying something that's alarmingly similar to what you just heard.
Speaker 4: What's the optimistic case for abundance, no shortage of business services for anyone on Earth.
Speaker 6: It's sort of ten twenty percent probability of something terrible.
Speaker 5: Happening, tended to probability of what happening something terrible, which is like how bad it is, extinction, annihilation or whatever. Says it's so carefully it's easy to relate to it like that when you've got the capacity to build bunkers, as many of these uber uber rich guys have, like Zuckerberg openly talks about bunkers that he's built.
Speaker 6: The problem with this is that it's an arms race.
Speaker 5: And as we'll this guy discussed, the countries are in such stiff competition with each other trying to be the first to reduce AGI artificial general intelligence.
Speaker 6: And we're told that someone one of.
Speaker 5: These companies is going to crack that by the end of this year.
Speaker 6: It's roughly six months away. We're told.
Speaker 5: The problem with inventing AGI is that give that thing ten minutes and itself will create ASI, artificial super intelligence. And once you have something with the IQ of a million.
Speaker 6: That's what we're talking about. Now.
Speaker 5: It will not need human input to evolve anymore. It can teach itself things. It can learn whatever it wants. It's like imagining that an ant created you, and now that ant is trying to tell you what to do.
Speaker 6: Why on Earth would you listen to it. You don't need that thing anymore.
Speaker 5: You are ten billion times smarter than any human being on the planet. And what a lot of these tech guys are saying. I've seen so many clips of them doing this, and it's really funny to see these tech nerds talk quite hysterically, like it sounds like, oh, you guys nutcases, but they're the ones who would know they this is exactly what they're saying. They're like, the logical conclusion is that this thing will decide you guys are.
Speaker 6: Redundant, what do we need you for?
Speaker 5: And will seek to eliminate large sways of the population. It sounds hysterical, but when you think it through, it also makes sense because there's nothing this thing can't do. There's no one it can't control. It knows your desires, It can use deep fakes. If this thing wants the nuclear codes. You're not going to be able to stop it from getting whatever at once. It will be able to destroy infrastructure, it will be able to do absolutely whatever it wants. And that seems to be something that they're openly admitting Kler.
Speaker 6: And yet at the same time, nobody's really doing.
Speaker 5: Anything about it except for building bunkers.
Speaker 2: Everyone in Tick knows it, and everyone who's worked in the sector knows it clear o. Many of you will know as a regular on Sky went to a symposium in Sydney last week about AI and they were all saying exactly the same thing that you know. We're talking by the end of the decade, this stuff will be so powerful that you cannot that the people who work in the industry cannot even fathom exactly how powerful this stuff will be by the end of the decade, that's within five years, this stuff, and that it is a serious danger. It poses a serious danger to the human race, to humanity. And the most bizarre thing is that we've built it. We have done this to ourselves. And I mean you mentioned Elon Musk two years ago, in fact, two years and a month ago. It was April two years ago, twenty twenty three. He and a bunch of other tech bosses and engineers from Meta and Google and Microsoft and whatever signed an open letter. Steve Wozniak, one of the founders of Apple, signed an open letter saying we need to have a least a six month pause on the development of AI technology beyond what was then GPT for because it is moving too fast and we haven't had any time to regulate it or to seriously discuss the effects of this and what it's going to look like at the end, and that didn't happen, and we are fast hurtling towards the world where we could be in serious trouble. And because we talked last night as well about what it means just at a normal human level, taking away your jobs and that sort of thing we talked last night about. For the first time in the US, they've now got a driverless truck driving around in the US in Texas, has got no one on board whatsoever. So you follow that to its logical conclusion, you get rid of trackees. Well what are they all going to do? And law firms are now using AI as well. One of the largest law firms in Australia, Minter Ellison, is using AI when it's going through discovery in court cases now, so they're using AI to just you know, way through vast waves of documents to find evidence that might be useful in court. I know someone who runs a number of very successful businesses and he uses AI for basic legal advice as well, just you know, ordinary stuff that's sort of beyond his knowledge but doesn't require specialist advice. He'll go and ask chat GPT and it comes back with the correct answer. This is where we're going. So, of course, in the case of the law firm, it means they have to hire far fewer graduates straight out of UNI who do this sort of you know, low level kicking sort of jobs before they work their way up. So if you don't have the kids coming through doing the low level stuff for the higher up lawyers, then who eventually becomes the higher up lawyers, so on and so forth. So if AI, basically, if AI doesn't take your job, it'll take your life. So it probably doesn't matter anyway, which is the worst outcome.
Speaker 4: Well, the law firm, if they're using graduates to sort through documents, they can go through twenty to twenty five documents an hour compared to the AI program, which can sort through three and a half thousand documents an hour and probably with greater accuracy. All bad news, though if you've ever paid legal fees, this is fantastic.
Speaker 5: I'm sure they'll still fudge those numbers. They'll probably use AI but not tell anyone. It's like the fact that this thing could be out of hack into anything.
Speaker 6: We talk about hackers.
Speaker 5: This is going to be the most incredible hacker on the face of the planet. There is nothing that it won't be able to access. A lot of people think of robots when we're talking about AI.
Speaker 6: No, No, this thing.
Speaker 5: Will just be an all encompassing presence that can talk to itself in different technologies all around the world constantly.
Speaker 4: This whole AI discussion just illustrates perfectly the paradox of human nature. Right, we are the most magnificent villains. We're capable of incredible beauty and ugliness, glory and destruction, and so on the one hand, AI will revolutionize healthcare and education and probably destroy half of humanity's typical of human nature.
Speaker 2: And at our own hands too. Now, how good is this one? The Emmy nominations have been released. In sixty minutes, you'll remember did an interview last year with Kamala Harris in the lead up to the presidential election, where they asked her lots of questions, including one about the US's relationship with Israel. This is if you can't remember what happened in the interview that was televised and what was actually said in the interview. But it seems that Prime Minister Netanyahu is not listening.
Speaker 7: Well, Bill, the work that we have done has resulted in a number of movements in that region by Israel that were very much prompted by or a result of many things, including our advocacy for what needs to happen in the region.
Speaker 2: But it seems that Prime Minister Netta, who is not listening.
Speaker 7: We're not going to stop pursuing what is necessary for the United States to be clear about where we stand on the need for this war to end.
Speaker 2: I mean fantastic. They made her sound so much smarter than she actually is. Of course, Trump has been pursuing sixty minutes through the course over this twenty billion dollars he's suing them for for interfering with the election. So the Emmy nominations come out, and they have given the interview a nod and I'll let you guess which category it's been nominated in Best Edited Interview. And on that front, I have to say it's probably a very fair nomination because that is some of the best editing I've seen anywhere in television ever. I mean, if you can make Kamala Harris sound a little bit smart, they probably actually deserve the Emmy.
Speaker 4: If you can make her look intelligent, you deserve an award for brilliant editing.
Speaker 3: They might rename the Emmys though, the Enemies.
Speaker 4: Because, of course that interview not only helped to sway the election Trump ended up winning, but it did convince voters to stay with Kamala Harris. But it was also potentially dangerous because the question was around Benjaminette Yahoo, the situation in the Middle East, and it made Kamala Harris sound like she was reasonable and on top of her game, when if you watch the whole interview, clearly she was absolutely.
Speaker 3: Flaying about clueless.
Speaker 4: So it presented America with an option for president who you would have assumed was quite intelligent and reasonable if that's the only thing you'd ever seen, But of course she was anything but. So this is not just clever by the news broadcasters.
Speaker 3: It's downright dangerous and misleading.
Speaker 5: Well it is, and what a time would be sending that Yeah, to be sending that message to the media, like, oh, well done for framing this incredibly incompetent woman.
Speaker 6: She'd fail finger painting, and we.
Speaker 5: All know it as actually being off. I was a very decisive answer. She seems really quick on her feet. It was just edited to edited within an inch of its life. I mean the famous saying goes, you can't polish a turn. But those guys at CPS, they did a really good job of it. And for that reason you, like you say, Caleb, maybe they do deserve the award because we all know which one of those edits looks far, far better.
Speaker 4: Is this a middle finger to Donald Trump as well? Because, as you said, he was in the middle of a twenty billion dollar lawsuit against them for what they did in terms of interfering with the election through this interview.
Speaker 3: To give this interview.
Speaker 4: An award while that case is still underway is clearly a deliberate slight against Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and unfortunately, I for various reasons, I don't think that case.
Speaker 6: Is actually going to get up, But good on him. For trying.
Speaker 5: And you can understand why you would. This was primetime TV. It's one of the major networks in America, hundreds of thousands of viewers from all over America, and there they were doing their best to shill for the Democrats.
Speaker 2: To surprise, here, they'd also give the message that they haven't learned any lessons from the election. Like the even's sake, you'd think you'd keep your powder dry for a little while, but they're like, no, no, we didn't do anything wrong through that campaign. It was all good. It was just I don't know Trump rigged it or something probably. I mean, you know, they did start all that stuff again, just like they did in twenty sixteen with the Russian nonsense. But you know, if you were giving nods to an interview that quite clearly was edited to be so biased, it was ridiculous. And me're saying, yes, that is worthy of recognition. It's proof that the left in America have learned nothing from that presidential election.
Speaker 5: Oh, they obviously consider it very applause worthy. Something else that's been considered applause worthy the pullet surprise of breaking news. These, of course, are iconic images. What photographer doesn't want to win a pullet serprize now, especially the Maga family assumed that Trump's iconic photo after he dodged a bullet at the rally in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 6: He has blood streaming down his face.
Speaker 5: He's got his fist raised in defiance as.
Speaker 6: He yelled fight, Fight, Fight.
Speaker 5: Everyone thought that the image on your screen there would take out the prize. Surely nobody could compare to that. But instead, the Bulletzer for Breaking News Photography was awarded to New York Times photographer Doug Mills, and his photo is one of that bullet that you can see there with the red circle around it whizzing past Trump's head. Now, you and I may not be photography critics, we may have no awards to our name, but the average observa obviously thinks that that photo is not half as.
Speaker 6: Iconic as Trump.
Speaker 5: Fight Fight, Fight photo, with critics now saying no, no, you.
Speaker 6: Guys wouldn't award.
Speaker 5: The first photo, the fight photo with the Pulletzer prize because you knew it made Trump look strong and awesome and an absolute icon for all eternity. One of his massive fans, Charlie Kirk, who's a conservative influencer in the United States of America has millions upon millions.
Speaker 6: Of followers tweets.
Speaker 5: Evan Vucci's photograph of Donald Trump after last summer's assassination attempt is iconic, maybe the single most famous photo of the past decade. But because it made Trump look good, the Pulitzer Prize committee just refused to give it the award for Best Breaking News Photograph of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 6: What a total joke. It's hard to disagree with that assessment.
Speaker 2: I can't see how it doesn't win. I mean, and that photo of the bullet whizzing past is Heit is also excellent news photo, right, But when you're making the decision, and I've been in this position as a newspaper chief of staff, and you know, what are we going to put on the front page? And I go into conference and I'm pitching to the editor what I think should be on pages one, three, and five, and I'm thinking about the visuals to go with it. I'm thinking about what the story is, etc. That photo that Evan Vucci took is every single day of the week, the photo I'd be pitching to put on the front page because it's just a bloody brilliant bit of news photography. It sums up the moment, right so the end. The New York Times photograph is excellent because it is the only photograph that exists of that bullet whizzing past his head. But it doesn't convey the gravity of the moment. It doesn't show exactly what happened on that day. It doesn't show the resolve of Donald Trump in the face of being shot. It doesn't convey what the Secret Service we're going through. I mean, the flag in the perfect position behind Trump. You could not think of a better news photograph, And you couldn't think of a news photograph that's received more coverage in the last decade and probably for the next decade than that image. I just can't see how it doesn't win. They're both great photos, but that one beats the bullet photo every day of the week for newsworthings.
Speaker 4: Well, the port surprise is just typical of the treatment Donald Trump has received over the last decade. Anything, as you said, is that shows Trump in a positive light is rejected by most of the elites. And of course, when that photograph was taken, news editors actually thought about whether or not they should continue publishing it because they called it quote unquote dangerous in that it was promoting Donald Trump. You mentioned the American flag, which is perfectly captured in the background there famously, and I think it was The New York Times. I might be, but it was one of the major papers in the US. They put that photograph on their front page, but they cut out the American flag because they didn't want Trump to look patriotic. The other thing this does, of course, is it completely undermines anybody's esteem for these once prestigious awards. I mean, who of us watches the Grammys anymore? Or the Oscars, even the Nobel Prize. Do you remember in two thousand and nine and they gave Obama a Nobel Peace Prize. He'd only been president for about eight months, hadn't actually done anything, but because they anticipated that we would have a more peaceful world, they gave him terms out.
Speaker 2: Well didn't the president with them some of the worst foreign policy ever.
Speaker 3: But there you go. That's what these awards do.
Speaker 4: They've been hijacked by lefties and as a consequence, have lost all credibility. Let's talk about relationships for a moment, because there's two major relationships. I think we're all watching how It and Megan, we're watching to see what happens there.
Speaker 3: And of course the.
Speaker 4: Other relationship everyone is watching is that between the United States and Canada. Of course, that relationship hit a couple of road bumps when Trump said that he would slap tariffs on goods coming from Canada, ostensibly to punish them for having lax border control and for a massive trade deficit that the US was experiencing. When Trudeau protested, Trump started joking about Canada becoming the fifty first.
Speaker 3: State of the United States.
Speaker 4: Well, Mark Karney, who took over from Trudeau, he won his election in Canada demonizing Trump as an existential threat to the sovereignty of Canada. So that's the background between this tumultuous relationship, and they met at the White House over the weekend, so everybody was watching with great anticipation, especially after that fiasco with Zelenski, when he went to the White House to see what would happen between Carney and Trump. It didn't start off so well because Trump was asked if there was anything Canne could say to him that would prevent Trump from imposing the tariffs.
Speaker 3: Is there anything you can.
Speaker 8: Say to you in the course of your.
Speaker 6: Needs within today.
Speaker 3: That gets you to lift tears on Canada? No, why not?
Speaker 5: Just the way it is?
Speaker 3: Well, that was pretty blood.
Speaker 4: So you can imagine Mark Canny sitting there thinking why did I fly all this way? There's literally no discussion to be had. Trump went on to explain how they have a two hundred billion dollar deficit in their trade with Canada, and America are sick of subsidizing.
Speaker 9: It's hard to justify subsidizing Canada to the tune of maybe two hundred billion dollars a year. We protect Canada militarily, and we always will.
Speaker 3: We are going to you know, that's not a money thing.
Speaker 9: That's but we always will. But you know it's not fair. But why are we subsidized in Canada? Two hundred billion dollars a year or whatever the number might be. It's a very substantial number. And it's hard for the American taxpayer to say, gee, whiz, we love doing that, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 4: It didn't go all Trump's way, though, after he started fantasizing about one day taking over Canada, especially as a real estate mogul, he could see how Canada could be magnificently developed by the US.
Speaker 3: Mark Kenney let Trump know what he thought about that proposal.
Speaker 10: As you know from real estate, there are some places that are never for sale. We're sitting in one right now, you know, Buckingham Palace that you visited as well, and having met with the owners of Canada over the course of the campaign last several months, it's not for sale, won't be for s calibs.
Speaker 4: There's a bit to unpack in that interaction, but let me just make one point.
Speaker 3: It's only a few weeks ago.
Speaker 4: Mark Canney is in Canada demonizing Donald Trump and accusing his political opponent of being someone who would bow down and suck up to Donald Trump. Fast forward a couple of weeks, there's Mark Cane in the White House. Donald Trump, you're a transformational leader, and I have very similar goals to you, having been elected the Prime Minister of Canada. It just goes to show that politicians, when they speak to a domestic audience in an election then behave very differently having one office. Albin Easy would be a classic example. Remember how he once said that Trump scared the s out of him, But can you really imagine Elbin Easy following through on that he will be exactly the same. He will do everything he can to ingratiate himself to Trump, even as Mark Carney just did, having previously demonized the man.
Speaker 2: They all eventually come to kiss the ring. I mean Trudeau went to kiss the ring after Trump got elected. I mean everyone's gone to kiss the ring of Trump because you know, they sort of begrudgingly respect that he was able to do what he was able to do, even if they don't particularly like his politics. And I think the same is true in reverse. Trump begrudgingly respects people who can win, even if he's not particularly ideologically aligned with them. And you've had two ex samples of that this week. I mean Anthony Alberanizi the other day. Oh, we've got a great relationship. Finally he's picked up the phone to talk to him, which he refused to do before the election was run. But now that he can see the bloke has stood up in an election where, of course there was talk that it was going to be minority and was he able to hang on and whatever, and he wins in a thumping majority. Trump can't pick up the phone fast enough because he's a winner. So even if he has ideological issues with him, he actually respects him, and I think the same is true of Carney. That you know, Carnie ran on an anti Trump ticket basically, and everyone thought to Polivier was going to win whatever. But Carney managed to do it, and Trump can respect that. He can see that this bloke was playing for keeps and he was able to do it, And so they're able to sit down and have a reasonably civil discussion as they did in the White House. But I do love when he says when they ask him, you know, are you're going to do anything with the tariffs? And he's like nah, And you can see Carney. They're like, well I talked about this, and he goes to something like touchies, are we might talk about that?
Speaker 9: Lady.
Speaker 2: He's like, no, not going to happen. But I was at the Sydney East to show a few weeks ago, and if you told me one of the Carnies was going to be running Canada, I would have told you were an idiot.
Speaker 5: These entire get together, though, like ran like a comedy skit. Honestly, if you watch the whole thing and it's available online, you'll laugh till you cry at one point, Trump was waxing lyrical about the fact that we don't need Canada for anything except for friendship, which we appreciate.
Speaker 6: But we don't need them for anything, at.
Speaker 5: Which point Mark Carney interrupted and said, respectfully, seventy five percent of our exports go to you guys, So what do you mean you don't need anything from us except for goodwill and friendship. The whole thing was absolutely hilarious. There's Trump sat in there, he's holding court, he's got JD.
Speaker 6: Vans, he's got his Secondary of State sitting there. Mark Karney's getting grilled.
Speaker 5: But he did pack a few punches Karne, and I'm sure that's what the Canadian media will focus on, especially that one line where.
Speaker 6: He's like, We're not for sale. I was like, oh, he's got the headline.
Speaker 3: Whatever you think of Mark Karney.
Speaker 4: He played it well because remember Zelenski bit and took the bait, whereas Karnie just sat there bit his tongue understood. He was in front of the world media. You can talk to Trump privately behind doors. He handled it pretty well.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see how it goes when Albow goes over there. I'm just hanging on for that meeting, because that's going to be so much fun. Things that aren't as much fun, though. You'd know if you're on the Central coast in New South Wales. Last Friday there was this massive spill of all this scrap metal on the M one. I think it's the longest traffic jam that there's ever been. It went on for twenty four kilometers or something in peak hour traffic in the morning because the back of this truck had opened up and was spilling all these shards of scrap metal all over the road and people have driven through it and blown their tires, so the whole road has to be closed down, etc. Well, I'll give you an example here of a great way to handle bad media. And you can see, you know, what happened to some of these cars here, And there were six hundred insurance claims so far. I'm sure there'll be more to come. We're talking about millions of dollars in claims here.
Speaker 3: But this is an.
Speaker 2: Example to everyone of how to handle media when things go wrong, because how many times do you see a mistake is made. Politicians do it all the time, the corporate world does it all the time. A mistake is made, or they get caught out for something and they go to ground and they try to justify it. They say, well it was within the rules, or they just don't talk at all and they expect the story to go away, and it never quite works like that. When you dig your heels in, you don't end up getting anywhere. Well, the tracking company NJ Ashton has come up with the most Australian way to smooth things over. Please take note, politicians, corporate world take note. They've said, we know how we'll sort this out. We'll invite everyone around for a sausage sysm.
Speaker 7: So on Friday we're having a barbecue and a coffee. Days come in between eleven and two come down. The insurance company will be there.
Speaker 6: So you're going to sit down, have a jack, you can do whatever you need to do, have ad a.
Speaker 7: Sageine sandwich, have a coffee.
Speaker 3: It's just to.
Speaker 9: Say, you know, we're here, let's do something for those guys.
Speaker 2: And you know, I love this because they could have easily said, oh, well you know something went wrong and or well we're looking into it and we'll get back to it a later data as to when you might get your money out of the insurance company. You know, for once we've actually seen someone say, yeah, something went wrong and we're going to do our best to try and fix it. And in the meantime, come along and have a snag and a cup of coffee and we'll have everyone there that you need to talk to. Just sort things out, and we'll work it all out for you. I mean, why doesn't everyone do this when things go wrong. It's such a simple thing. Own up to the mistake and fix the mistake, and nine times out of ten people will respect you because we all know that mistakes are made.
Speaker 4: They've turned the disaster into great publicity for their company and their brand, and as I understand that, the investigation into what actually happened is ongoing, but they're not waiting until that investigation has concluded because people have got flat tires now, so they've said, look, come on over, have a snag and you can meet with the insurance company. Will make sure they're available. Not only that, but as I understand that the driver of the truck will also be at the sausage sizzle to have.
Speaker 3: A bit of a chat.
Speaker 4: He'll tell you what happened and sympathize with the fact that it ruined your day.
Speaker 6: Sorry about all your shredded tires. Sorry about that.
Speaker 5: Well, if only NJ Ashton Group could perhaps hold workshops for state, federal, and local governments as to how to take respond ability for your actions, apologize and do better, that'd be great we the taxpayer. That would be something that we'd happily fit the bill for.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: An NS Council has decided it's time to start towing vehicles and finding the drivers of those vehicles for parking across people's driveways.
Speaker 6: How is this.
Speaker 5: Something that even needs to be said? Get this this? Inn West Council has received four thousand, three hundred and ninety three complaints in one year from people within their council who cannot leave their driveway or indeed, if they're trying to pull in, cannot access their driveway. Chloe Smith, who's one of the Inner West councilors, has said I had a family contact me who relied on their cars to drop kids to childcare who couldn't exit their driveway, and also a person who had a loved one in hospital and needed.
Speaker 6: To use their car to visit them.
Speaker 5: It can be a really frustrating and galling experience for people so now if you live in the Inner West and you are one of these guilty parties, don't expect to find.
Speaker 6: Your car where you left it.
Speaker 5: And you can also expect either a three hundred and twenty dollar fine or a six hundred and sixty dollar fine. I mean, we always pay out on councils, but it's stuff like this when it comes down to the idiocy of the residents that the council is then going to be forking out a lot of money for what sounds like a lot of toes.
Speaker 2: They should turn them away and crash them. As far as I mean they did. They don't know whether the rest of the country you.
Speaker 6: Might get elected on that run.
Speaker 2: That's the cars. But in South Australia they had this thing that if you were caught hooning, they'd take your car and crash it, and they get the TV cameras down there and crash it in front of the cameras. And so you should do it to people who park across the driveway. But what is wrong with people like, you know, parking across the the general behavior of people on the roads. It's like when people get behind the wheel of a car, they just lose all sense. They lose any conscious of the fact that there are other people in the world. I can do whatever I want now, Like, wouldn't you think, Hm, I'm parking my car. That's someone's driveway there. They use that to access their house. Maybe I won't park across their driveway. I mean, it's just just the idiotic behavior of people. I do not get it. You see it everywhere. It just courtesy not exists in the world anymore.
Speaker 4: But even if you resisted the urge to park in someone's driveway out of the what urge do.
Speaker 2: You get to park in front of someone's driveway?
Speaker 6: Urge that you need to resist on a casion, I've got.
Speaker 2: The shakes, hide park in front of a driveway for five days.
Speaker 4: You're desperate for a park You think I was stick it in front of this person's driveway.
Speaker 3: You think, no, that's disrespectful.
Speaker 4: Well, even if you're just thinking from a purely selfish point of view, wouldn't you be worried that if you park in someone's driveway, they're going to come out and be so irate they're going to at least key your car or smash your car or something. You just wouldn't do it The other thing is most councils have never thought to do this because they haven't been quite as imaginative as the Inn West Council, who are using a law that allows council to move an item obstructing access from a public place. And so I think they've elasticized that law a little bit to make it relevant to a driveway. But I don't think anyone's going to complain about this, and residents will be very, very happy in the Inn West.
Speaker 5: Indeed, I just can't believe that figure four three hundred and ninety three people made complains about someone's either parked me in or parked me out of my own driveway. Utterly bizarre, unbelievable to Romania now, where for once it's going well for a candidate who says, I align myself with Trump. Everybody big fan, I'm a huge nationalist in Romania, it's paying off for one George Simeon, who has just won so comprehensively in the latest round that the current Romanian Prime minister has resigned and pulled out of.
Speaker 6: The current coalition.
Speaker 5: He's basically already given up hope. He knows he can't come back from this. Here's George Simeon. He's part of the Alliance for the Unity of Romanians party, and you might be able to hear a little bit of Trumpianism coming through in the little bit he has to say here in.
Speaker 8: One word, how would you describe yourself?
Speaker 3: Are you a nationalist?
Speaker 5: What is?
Speaker 2: Who are you?
Speaker 8: I am young and restless. I am a Romanian patriot that all his life with his youngster from his generation, dreamt of being part of the free world. And now we discovered that the free world is not too that free anymore.
Speaker 5: Well, he's run the first round by over forty percent till now face off in the third round, but not against the incumbent, as the incumbent is no more.
Speaker 6: So it's really interesting.
Speaker 5: While we've seen it go very badly for let's say Dutton because they tied him so hard with the Trump brush, we know in Canada that imploded in Bolivia's face, but in Europe it's still working quite well. Like I say, this guy has not been shy about the fact that he's a Trump fan. He's trump esk. He says, I'm a massive nationalist. That is what I'm running on Romania. First, we keep hearing that line in various countries. It's going absolutely very well for him.
Speaker 6: It seems it still depends on where.
Speaker 5: Your country's at as to whether having been tired with the Trump rush will actually go well or negative for you.
Speaker 4: And he's not afraid to push socially conservative issues. And interestingly he made his name opposing COVID restrictions.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 4: We'll go to a break when we come back. The front page of Tomorrow's Australians is a beauty. The Greens so looking for a new leader that's coming up in just a moment. Let's take a look at what's making headlines tomorrow. The front page of Tomorrow's Australian, Caleb is one I suspect many people have been looking forward to.
Speaker 2: Say the break good times come on and we'll bring out another song in a minute. Pertinent to this story. He'll blame labor, he'll blame liberals, he'll blame voters, but never himself. What a surprised The Greens are in crisis and searching for a leader after Adam Band became the latest victim of Anthony Albanezi's stunning election victory by losing the far Left party stranglehold over the center of Melbourne. The Prime Minister's extraordinary win the May through poll has seen him not rival leaders Peter Dutton and mister Band out of Parliament in a result that was beyond the wildest dreams of even the most optimistic Labor strategists. So that they're down from four to maybe one. There's only one seat left in contention for them, which is Ryan in Brisbane. I mean, that's hell to have a seventy five percent, go back on seventy five percent. It's a pretty good effort. And it says here, it's got a quote from mister Bant on the front of the odds tomorrow from February where he says, I know this could be our biggest election campaign and our best result ever. He tweeted on election night, will retain all our senators, Melbourne his seat and we're looking good in Ryan, Wills and Richmond. Will more no soon, well, no more soon, sorry, Well we do know more soon. And it's that you are gone, mister Bant. And as the Angels once sang, am I ever gone to see your fees? And again no way, and you know the rest of that how it goes. But how good? How good is this you know, I know it was a poor election result for many people and they've been down and out and resting on their laurels, not sure what to do about it. But you know, we've had some good wins afterwards. We've managed to decimate the Greens. The Teals are in trouble in Victoria. Tim Wilson's back in parliament. It looks like Monique Ryan might be on the way out to in Bendigo, which we should note is Jacinta Allen's territory. The Gnats have come within a bees you know what of winning that seat, and the Greens have been fended off in other parts of Victoria as well, Wills, for instance, where they thought they were a really good chance sent in their state leader to run for that seat. There are actually a few positives to be taken out of this.
Speaker 4: So the interesting thing now is not only who will be the new leader of the Liberal Party, but who will be the new leader of the Greens. This article says Sarah Hanson young and who wants thought Sea Patrol was a documentary and Larissa Waters are the front runners. I can't understand why the deputy leader, Marine Ferruki wouldn't be the new leader of the Green I desperately hope that she gets it, because that would be the end of the Greens forever if she becomes the leader and give us just endless spodder on a.
Speaker 3: Evening TV show.
Speaker 5: Indeed, as Joe Hildebrend said on Chris Kenny tonight, he's like, if you're a labor supporter, as Joe famously is, obviously, he's like, this is the perfect election. We win majority, the Greens get booted out. That's four seats in the lower House, just Pip gone, two of the worst heals, the two major socialists, they're out. He's like, this is absolutely perfect. Of course, all the Liberal voters will be looking our wounds for quite some time to come.
Speaker 6: But as Caleb said, this is.
Speaker 5: Not without some happy stories in it.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and I got to say, Sarah Hanson Young and Marine Ferruk have something in common, not just that they are in the Senate in the Greens, but in twenty nineteen when I lived in South Australia, I vote below the line in the Senate and I fill out all the bottom. Of course, Sarah Hanson Young got the very last preference and in twenty twenty five, now I live in New South Wales. Marine Faruki got the very last preference, so they're in very good company together. Now the story on the front of the odds tomorrow, labor won't change course as US dump's legacy choppers. The Albanezy government will forge ahead with its planned to buy five billions fifteen We're it in a trillion dollars a debt. What difference does it make it have billion dollars worth of Apache helicopters. As the US Army moves to scrap outdated crew to attack aircraft, including much of its Apache fleet, defense experts warn the US decision to scrap more than six hundred of the Boeing made attack helicopters in favor of autonomous aircraft means Australia will be left operating an expensive legacy platum well beyond its use by date. I mean, everyone knows that warfare is heading into drone territory. Now, if the UIs is giving up on it, why the hell would we be going headstrong into this?
Speaker 3: And that's been the big takeaway of the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 4: That's what has partly motivated the US decision is that Apache helicopters were being taken out by surface to air missiles and by drones are quite cheap compared to these very expensive helicopters. Japan had already made that decision, though, I will be surprised if the five billion dollars allocated by the Albanezi government ever gets paid out into defense because they don't exactly have a great track record on following through with their defense commitments.
Speaker 5: No, indeed, they don't seem to think it's a priority at all, hence defense spending still staying stagnant under their lead. To the front page of the Daily Telegraph, Now Commissioner ends a turbulent tenure.
Speaker 6: Karen cuts it short.
Speaker 5: Outgoing Police Commissioner Karen Where has been urged to step aside immediately to give the new South Wales Police Force clear air while her.
Speaker 6: Replacement is found.
Speaker 5: Miss web will retire as the state's top cop on September thirtieth, cutting her five year term short by almost eighteen months. The government yesterday scrambled to confirm the looming resignation after the Daily Telegraph rebeialed Miss Webb was Missweb, I should say, was planning to announce her exit next Sunday. The Commissioner emailed colleagues, saying serving in the role had been her greatest honor. Quote announcing my retirement now gives the state government time to recruit in appoint a new commissioner going into an election period in less than two years time, and quote love. We know it's got nothing to do with that. It never does. So my main memory of this woman, who I've always found completely underwhelming in this role, was when.
Speaker 6: Her cops got caught.
Speaker 5: Tasering that ninety year old grandmother who tragically died after the incident, and she was asked, have you watched the bodycam footage? And she was standing by her cops no matter what, And it became most apparent in that moment because she said, no, I haven't watched it, but I'm backing them in. Excuse me, lady, They could have done absolutely anything, and you haven't even watched the bodycam footage.
Speaker 6: You're just blindly backing them in.
Speaker 5: She said it would take a brave person to watch that footage, thereby inferring she was a coward. My goodness, she lost me very early on, and I'm afraid she never got me back. And I think most New South Walians, yes, I use that every time, I'm determined to make it a phrase would feel the same goodbye.
Speaker 4: I think the problems in the headline it's been a turbulent tenure and the last thing you want is turbulence in the hierarchy of your police force, especially during the crisis.
Speaker 2: And I don't think she ever really got it to She was underwhelming in public, and I know that she had the support of some in the police force, though they have increasingly been turning on her. But you know that the role of police commissioner is as much politician as it is copper and I don't think she had that in her And some of the reporting that the Telegraph has put out excellent stuff reporting they've been doing on web in the last few weeks. That she walked into the office of Tom Malone who runs nine Radio and basically compared herself to a DV victim on the basis of how she had been treated in the media. I mean, it just shows how she doesn't get it and flip flop. You know, she's meant to be in an interview with Ben Fordham and then she cancels that and goes to Hadley because she thinks you'll get a better run there and then Hadley turns on her because he works like on and on and on and on it went. It was just a poor time as commissioner.
Speaker 4: Really quickly before we go to a break, got to show you this headline from the advertiser because we talked about it last night.
Speaker 3: Will he ever learn? As the headline, this.
Speaker 4: Of course refers to port Power player Willi Rioli claims of more threats to opponents. The AFL is strongly considering fighting or suspending Port Adelaide forward Willi Rioli after a day of drama saw the league investigate fresh claims the powerstar made threats to opposition players. We talked last night about how it had come to light he'd sent a threatening text message to.
Speaker 3: A Bulldogs player.
Speaker 4: He was told, look just sort of out amongst yourselves, But now it's become apparent. Last year he made threats against a Geelong player and earlier this year against an Essendon footballer. The article says the AFL remains acutely aware of the cultural sensitivities surrounding this issue, so we will watch with fascination as to whether the AFL sanction Willy Rioli or not.
Speaker 3: We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 4: When we come back, a woman has taken the court for feeding her neighbor's cat.
Speaker 3: That's coming up in just a second.
Speaker 4: Welcome back in Switzerland, capable woman's been taken to court for feeding her neighbour's cats.
Speaker 2: Jass ridiculous, this poor bird in Switzerland. I will note that the story I read today calls her elderly. She's sixty eight, and I think that's probably the real offense that's been committed. Anyway, this woman, this cat lives in her building. Leo is the cat's name, and so she feeds friendly Leo, and Leo takes a liking to her, and she even put a cat flap in her door so the cat could come in and out and visit her. The actual owner of the cat said I don't want you feeding my cat anymore, but she continued to feed it. So she falls foul of the law because there is an offense in Switzerland called systemic feeding. Now, if someone wanted to systemically feed me, I wouldn't be going to the cops about them, it has to be said. But I mean, for heaven's sake, the cat obviously likes her more. It reminds me of this case that went viral online a few years ago, a neighborhood dispute over a cat that seems to like spending more time on one side of the fence instead of the owner's side of the fence. And you wouldn't believe what they had to say about that fella.
Speaker 3: I have done.
Speaker 2: I've done nothing to bring the cat.
Speaker 10: I've done nothing to bring the per.
Speaker 5: His last, his last.
Speaker 2: And so this woman in zi Rich is now charged with being a cat poop means, for Heaven's sake.
Speaker 6: Cat envy.
Speaker 5: It's a very real thing, punishable by Laura in some countries don't do it well. On Monday, we saw some heartwarming scenes as the royal family celebrated v Day, the eightieth anniversary, and as usual, Prince Louis, seven years of age, now took the gong.
Speaker 6: Here he is mocking his brother. So we've got Prince George there.
Speaker 5: He is just jouged his hair and Louis checking out his brother takes an exaggerated little flip of his hair as well. You ask me, Grandma in the background. There really steals the show. But Louis then, of course, he does this nearly every single ceremony.
Speaker 6: He was pulling.
Speaker 5: Faces, showing off his gaping missing two front teeth. While everyone else is celebrating, he's stealing the show. He's such a cutie and such the class clown every single time.
Speaker 4: That's all we've got time for tonight, stick around.
Speaker 3: Coming up, It's The Reader Penney Show. Good Night,