Speaker 1: We just jumped straight into the eight.
Speaker 2: Well out of day seven here at Paris, and I'll tell you there's a blade two down from me on his seat.
Speaker 1: That is off a bit. He's gone us because.
Speaker 2: I reckon Ivington two hours ago. It was a mixed day. For the last two hours has been unbelievable. Two time Olympian World Champion James Maguson and friend of all Things for and Fauna.
Speaker 1: Crash, great crash. What about the last couple of hours? Mate?
Speaker 3: Oh look, Mattie, I think you've got it to clare that the last hour and a half is the best hour and a half of Olympic achievement straight end this century. Three gold medals and it's not just the medals, it's the stories. Cam McAvoy at thirty winning the fifty minutes freestyle, Maggie, did it really happen? And well, obviously you'll be the man for that. Kayleie McEwen winning her fourth gold medal. His father passed away with brain cancer a few years ago. Extraordinary and just in the last twenty minutes. Saya Sakaki Bara, who fell at the last Games and whose brother Kai felt months before those games and never recovered fully recovered.
Speaker 4: We had grain damage. She wins BMX goal wearing his number. There's three better stories in the Olympics. Yeah, come and sell me.
Speaker 2: Well, sorry, this morning was in the paper. Where's the effect of I will win?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, way to put pressure on yourself and deliver.
Speaker 4: And I think she's she's fascinating heritage.
Speaker 3: She lived on the coast wall and she went back to Japan and came back to Australia.
Speaker 4: But the confident new.
Speaker 3: Breed of athlete who just attacks the world and extraordinary story.
Speaker 1: Give me five.
Speaker 2: Skin from crash Hey missile Cam mckinvoy, what a performance.
Speaker 5: So Maddie Cam Dave Bert at the Olympics in twenty twelve in London.
Speaker 6: Come four years later real Olympics.
Speaker 5: He's the red hot favorite to win one hundred freestyle, crashes out in that event and comes seventh. From there, his career spiraled for the next five, six, seven years. For most people, they thought Ken McAvoy's done, he won't swim on, he's passed his best.
Speaker 6: He's now thirty years of age.
Speaker 5: He reinvents himself, goes from one hundred back to the fifty meters freestyle, reinvents his training regime.
Speaker 6: Gets a new coach, new strength and conditioning.
Speaker 5: He's now doing as little as seven kilometers a week in the swimming pool, where at his peak hundred freestyle times he was doing eighty kilometers a week in the swimming pool. So he's completely revolutionizing the style of training for the fifty freestyle. He comes out here tonight. Now that's one of the most high pressure events at Olympic Games. Twenty seconds of action, any mistake and it's over. He gets the fastest reaction time off the block, he pops up first after the breakout, and he has the fastest swim speed in that final, a final littered with talent. We're talking Flora, Menadu, Caleb dressel Ben Proud on the biggest stage at thirty years of age at his fourth Olympic Games.
Speaker 6: Macaboy finally does it.
Speaker 2: And like you said, Floren who is a French national hero.
Speaker 1: And we talk about this all the time. The lower the.
Speaker 2: Distance where there are swimming at Athletics, the more strut and Flora come out. Honestly, he peacock so march I was waiting for the.
Speaker 1: Feathers to appear and he delivered.
Speaker 2: It's interesting to say that, like, so he was high volume trainer and he's just scaled it back as he's got Oh, that's at my revolutionized training.
Speaker 6: I believe it will. I believe it will.
Speaker 5: And a lot of coaches around the world now are looking at what macavoy is doing.
Speaker 6: And this was the final hurdle for him. He won a world titled last year in the fifty free style.
Speaker 5: Now this is the last thing. It was the Olympic final that he had to overcome.
Speaker 6: He's done it at.
Speaker 5: Thirty years of age. A great story. I reckon he might go again.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, that was something interesting suggestion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess he's feeling fresher.
Speaker 2: And sports science to sports science now that's what it is.
Speaker 4: Is a genuine chance for la especially thirty four.
Speaker 5: I believe he'll go around again. He says he feels as fresh as ever. He's doing one tenth of the workway that he was previously. He's lifting more weight, he's maturing as an athlete, and you know what we've seen here, he's got this. He's finally got the mindset. It's taken till the age of thirty, but he's got the mindset now to win on the big stage.
Speaker 2: So why don't go again a crash Queenslander. We've done it a bit of Queensland.
Speaker 1: That's something that's a state of mind. You must be proud of Kaylee.
Speaker 3: I just think, Look, she's apart from overcoming her father's death. And I spoke to his sister Taylor the other day and she said when dad died, Kaylee could have gone two ways. She said, no, I was worried about it. She would go down there and be absolutely shattered and depressed and never recover. Or she'd say, stuff you mate, I'm going to prove something to the world. She goes to bed at eight o'clock at night. She leaves her food out beside her. She's meticulous. She always has extra training. When Taylor goes to the pool and season, she says that if the boss seas to do eight thirty second laps eight twenty.
Speaker 1: Eight, can I just ask you this? So Maggie right.
Speaker 2: So we spoke last night Leon Marsham where he swam one gold that had went away for about an hour and then swam again. What a challenger was he'd live? Kaylee swims, she gets gold. I think it was twenty twenty five minutes she had to go again like the scheduling was ridiculous, but she qualified.
Speaker 6: That one was brutal.
Speaker 5: The scheduling clearly wasn't expecting an athlete to be finally in the two.
Speaker 6: Hundred backstroken in the semis and the two hundred medley.
Speaker 5: It is an unusual double to do, but that was brutal and she only just snuck into that final of the two hundred.
Speaker 6: I am now, Maddie. We're at day six.
Speaker 5: We've got seven golds now sorry, day seven, seven gold. This is equal to our most successful Olympics ever.
Speaker 6: In the swimming pool. We need one more.
Speaker 5: Over the final two days, we've got Arion and eight hundred three, we've got Kaylee and the two undred im and then we've got three real ays to jag one more gold medal, which would probably bury the USA as well in that medal.
Speaker 1: T what do you reckon?
Speaker 6: What do you think?
Speaker 5: I reckon we can do it. See, USA have multiple chances at gold. We've got three clear of them at the moment, so I reckon they'll pick up at least another three.
Speaker 6: So we just need one.
Speaker 5: I think I think it could come from Kayley, but she's got that outside lanes and i'd heard her a little bit that backup.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but one of the amazing Olympics for our stingers.
Speaker 1: Now crash boxing. Let's talk about the controversy.
Speaker 2: Firstly, the Taiwanese fighter who has been in the news has beaten a woman from Uzbekistan. The Algerian fighter again who's been in the news, fights tomorrow tomorrow.
Speaker 1: All eyes on the world beyond this fight.
Speaker 3: We say that phrase al eyes in the world, and normally it's a bit of a native statement.
Speaker 4: But Peter Bedell's tweet that he made yesterday.
Speaker 1: He wasn't very excited about faith is what's that at the moment?
Speaker 3: Eighty two million views from Peter Bedell's tweet of the Italian boxer who was beaten by Caleb from Nigeria, sorry from Algeria. And maybe that is the population of Germany. It's as if every person in Germany has read Peter Bill.
Speaker 1: Every person in Germany knows Peter Bodell.
Speaker 6: Yary Bedell representing Australia on the big stage.
Speaker 3: But look on a serious note, Himani, the hungry Hungarian boxerut has released a tweet this afternoon showing a cartoon character completely overshadowing the woman as if to say, the woman's me and Cayliff is the other one. And you know, that's a really provocative tweet at this stage. She took it down after about two hours, but the world had seen it. Donald Trump's tweeting, and literally this would be one of the most watch sporting about.
Speaker 4: Like you think the hundred meters sprint in the men's be big.
Speaker 3: Maggie, this would be bigger because this whole situation has become totally infined, Maggie.
Speaker 5: It's been really interesting the way that the athletes are reacting to this. Right, so we spoke about how athletes react to competitors potentially being on performance enhancing drugs, are having been been in the past, or things like that.
Speaker 6: As an athlete, you have to block.
Speaker 5: It out, focus on your own performance and try to win that race, about event, whatever it is. Interestingly for these athletes, So the Algerian fighter, for example, has lost nine fights. She's not unbeatable, but the Italian quits the fight and says, I'm not going on now. Another fighter coming up who's about to fight her is basically already using that as an excuse. I find it really interesting as an athlete, there's one of two ways you can approach this environment. You can say, regardless of who I'm fighting, I'm going to put my best foot forward an attempt to win the bout.
Speaker 6: Or you can say this is hopeless.
Speaker 5: I'm fighting someone that's an unfair advantage and throw your hands up.
Speaker 2: We're an interesting I actually thought after the Italian fight it may have been a boycott almost, So it's interesting in the Hungarian straight away said I'm going to get in the ring and take it on the challenge.
Speaker 5: It goes on and beats this Algerian or beats the Taiwanese, then they become the story of the Olympics. What an opportunity for those athletes, But it seems at the moment they're seeing it more as a hurdle than an opportunity.
Speaker 2: Now you're at the fight to Turmawana Junior, he thought Thebecy he was a clever fighterspeker, star fighter and the heavy weights, and he was gay. He looked good turmana early on, but just faded in the third.
Speaker 4: He did, and it was a.
Speaker 3: Bit of a roperdope thing where the greatest Becky stood back to just said come on, come on, have a few starts.
Speaker 4: You could just see him tire in the third round. Terra majuana.
Speaker 3: But I've got to say this, it was a dignified performance. He was up against the class opponent who was expected to.
Speaker 4: Win the division.
Speaker 1: He was a good fight and I love his attitude.
Speaker 4: He was smiling after the fight. He was complimentary to the victor.
Speaker 3: He had a bit of a you know, he's been bopping around the village carrying his Cook Islands flag in his bag. I think he's kind to be big in Australian boxing as a personality and a boxer like and he's a little bit he's from born in Western Sydney up to Queensland, like he says both stage.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what, it's been a great Olympic for Western Sydney. I mean, Jess Fox Penrith girl, it's fantastic mate, Panthers go for.
Speaker 1: A rap, that's all. Having the place to be I crash it made. Is always great to have you on. I love work with You're a great character mate.
Speaker 4: Thanks so yeah, and keep up the great work lads. This shows a little bit of a sensation.
Speaker 1: Are you just just what we do?
Speaker 4: Pay increase.
Speaker 1: What is he good? Only your crash leagues, mate, I think I heard some coins. It was tired to talk athletics. We're going to bring in a bloke. Wo Well, so far this tip he's had many nicknames. One was the Duke of Defeat.
Speaker 2: But it last sight when he struck up for the first time and we yelled out your break the drought and simultaneously well it just thunderstorms hit really.
Speaker 7: Well, felt long in some respects that came back today matter because it wasn't a great dye the athletics. There were some good stories, there were some.
Speaker 1: Bad ones to Bree Masters are.
Speaker 7: Amazing, amazing Bremasters. No, I don't even even think. Brie thought she would make the semi finals of one hundred meters, but she got drawn in the lane beside Chakari Richards and the superstar of spring in this country, and she's ruined with Tory Lewis. Now Tory Lewis beat Shakari richardson the Diamond League earlier this year over two hundred meters. So Brie gets up this morning, there's a note on addresser because Tory is still asleeping. It says, you've eart this go out and show the world beat Shikari Richardson now shouldn't beat her. She came third, but I got in the semi finals. Is an amazing performance by her and a great sort of That was the high on the athletic well. That and Claudia Hollingsworth in the eight hundred, and obviously the high jumpers they were the highs today. So there were a lot of good things. A few setbacks to that magic, but the high jumpers as well made they were. Look, they're gold medal contenders. I mean Mahuchik, who's the world champion, world record holder, she's the short short price favorite. But if she stumbles, nicol Olischlager's and Eleanor Patterson they're right there on her tail and potentially could beat her for a medal as well. And they cruised through the qualifying today and they're in the final and a couple of days so good, some good signs.
Speaker 5: This one hundred menis qualifying work. So they race today, but they're not racing again tonight.
Speaker 7: No, they race tomorrow, so they have semis and finals tomorrow night. Chicari will run obviously tomorrow night, probably win it tomorrow night. And the men actually start tomorrow as well. The men run their heats tomorrow, So will see Noah Larles and action tomorrow, Keishane Thompson, those sort of guys. Something look forward to. Roan Browning's running the flying mullet below rowing. I think shaved his mulled off from out anymore. Yeah, actually it's growing back a little bit actual, but it's not full mullet, Samson and Delilah. It's a bit like that because he struggled a bit the ship. Ro Ever, since the mullet.
Speaker 1: Went, So what about that? The one hundred and two hundred of to morrow?
Speaker 2: It starts right and in the men, it's very much USA versus USA with Noah, tell Us about, tell us about Noah Larles walked into the Living Village.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he did a press coming two this week, Maddy, and he walked in and if you know, he's obviously a charismatic guy, right, people with watch sprinter know what Noah laws like. He's walked in, he's gone, here comes the chair. It's funny.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 7: All the way was behind him. He was one hundred and ten hurdles going and he's unbelievable and he's gone champs.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: But that was great the women for the one that it's USA versus Jamaica, which is just it's enormous.
Speaker 7: But she carry look good and she cruised in her heat in the in the heats early on, So I mean, I think she's again. I think she's the favorite and I expect her to win it. Maddie so but as I said, good signs of premasters, but I take it to the negative of the day, Maddie with a black widow reared its head again. Yes, yeah, Well the fifteen hundred we've got some good fifteen hundred meter run runners, mainly Olihare who we thought might get in the final. And it's a couple of there's a couple of sort of phases this Mattie so him is during m McSwain and Adam Spencer all around the fifteen hundred heats. None of them made the automatic qualification for the for the final. But the interesting thing is, Maddie, they have a rapper charge now, so everyone who loses they going to rapper charge and they get the chance still game run again to make the final.
Speaker 1: So you can you come fifth and they gave it the badge.
Speaker 7: I'm a good sport and lo in the fifteen hundred, they do it. I think the eight hundred as well. Because Cordia Hollingsworth, the nine year old, only finished school last year. She went straight through to the semis in the in the eight hundred, but Katrina Bissit and abcaul Well missed out. But they go on the rapport.
Speaker 6: Change, I mean another charge into the final.
Speaker 7: US three in each report change on six. So it's pretty cutthroat. But it's like kund of six as Maney, everyone gets surprised.
Speaker 1: Basketball. Tell you what, we're lucky today. So we played Grease.
Speaker 2: We lost the game seventy seventy seven to seventy. We couldn't lose by more than nine. We'd served late to get in there. The Greek freak Yarnas carved us up. So from there, I mean, now this is strong. Possibly we face the Dream Team shortly, which.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what. This is the thing I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think a lot of our sports so watching the basketball, so I don't think that deal with favorite tis Well. I think they like the bump and grind and scratch with that underdog mentality.
Speaker 7: I was to remember Shane Hill going up against the Dream to years ago and he got up in Charles Barkley, I think's face.
Speaker 2: I interviewed Brian gorsh in four or five weeks ago and I said, right, you come up against.
Speaker 1: The Dream Team, how do you beat them?
Speaker 2: And he said, we beat them with austrange spirit and the way we beat anyone. He said, you know, we fight for every ball, and we said, we upset them and we drive them mad.
Speaker 7: And they'd love that chance. I mean, you know it's like you when you're the underdog. Well you were probably never the underdog. Rather the rest of us were. We know what it's like up against the big guns and it brings something out in you, and particularly I recognize him.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: We love we love that underdog, that underdog spirit. We love a stousch.
Speaker 2: Now talking about good stories, the water polo, the women's water play team, the sting Rays, they've been they've been fantastic. Epic went over the Netherlands, that went over Canada. The men of the matter, Well, I'm sorry. The player of the match was Bronzie Halligan. She got she got a hat trick of goals.
Speaker 7: You're going to go and watch her yesterday were yes.
Speaker 1: And you dragged me off to the Roland Garross.
Speaker 7: Sorry, sorry, Jokovic, Sorry, and then you gave it to the zechsvarking.
Speaker 2: We found ourselves actually sitting We've had these spare seats and we said I was just going to sit there.
Speaker 1: It was packed.
Speaker 2: We've found ourselves sitting with the families and he was looking over its going with these blakes better thank yourself. So, yeah, Bronsie Patrick, people like Halligan name. She is the daughter of the great Daryl Halligan of course new zald And and and of course Kennery Banks Town and Tillie Kerns is in the side his daughter with great Phil Coons.
Speaker 1: So really great story was Daryl I don't know it would have been for sure, wasn't he a great player? Good jeans to Yeah? I know, yes, and le congratulations go find well that's the other thing. People, I'd love to see.
Speaker 7: The curse get no laws in the next couple of days.
Speaker 2: I've never seen someone beat like you, they'd say. The most mouth obsessed a thick creature in the world is the horse you beat it.
Speaker 7: I've got a story about that because Maggie told us about that steak too. When he went to the other day with they just keep filling you out with you today? How was it fans?
Speaker 1: So many unbelievable? Yourself a cheese burger mate. Well, were welcome, Hannah holdest Fox League. Hannah, you come with good news?
Speaker 9: I do. I'm just right from Roland Garris and it is not only beautiful out there, but I have some good news for the Australians because our men's doubles Matt Ebsen and John Peers, they.
Speaker 10: Are through to their gold medal match.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 10: But you know who was in action beforehand? Djokovic tell you what.
Speaker 9: The crowd didn't love him. The crowd were behind the Italian Lorenzo Muzzeddi. When he won Mattie, he actually dropped to his knees. The joker did burst into tears, wiping it away. He spent the match winging to the umpire. He had two serving violations. He was limping on that knee. But now he is three to his very first Olympic gold medal final against Palas told.
Speaker 1: Me the other day he reckons he can get him, and he was serious.
Speaker 10: You know, I thought that I was sitting in my seat going Brent Reid has no.
Speaker 2: IDEA Magie maggie've just been doing a loop around one sort of area of Paris.
Speaker 1: You've been all over the city or survival.
Speaker 10: It's beautiful.
Speaker 9: So I think Paris is a destination any day of the week, any month of the year. But then when the Olympics come to town, given how special that is and the for all that comes with it, the city has come to life.
Speaker 10: We have been everywhere and everyone is so nice.
Speaker 9: Like, I've not met a rude friend person, and I feel like they're stereotype.
Speaker 1: You haven't.
Speaker 6: I feel like that's because of how you look. You met plenty of the barke.
Speaker 1: I have you been to Parish before?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: You know what, Maddie, it was actually exactly to the day ten years ago. I just finished working on the twenty fourteen World Cup and then I came to Paris. And you know how your phone generates memories for you, Yeah, to this day exactly.
Speaker 2: Was mister Ready too million tweets? I asked him the other day. I said to Pete Madell, have you been to Parish before? You? But year, Maddie, I came here on a Kentucky tour so fastid I was thirty four.
Speaker 1: He made the Kentucky tour by a month.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know the good.
Speaker 1: Do you know one of the good things here. It's just an appreciation for sports you'd never watch. I watched the ping pong and it was it was awesome. It was incredible.
Speaker 9: When I was at Rolling Garras earlier, you know you can't get alcohol there, Yeah, we did so.
Speaker 10: I didn't know that and I arrived. I was so excited for a beautiful glass of.
Speaker 9: French champagne watching the tennis, watching Novak Djokovic, my first like major that I've got to see in real life, and I had to settle for a soft drink.
Speaker 6: What are the sports you got to see in the next week.
Speaker 9: Well, I've seen to the gymnastics, I've seen some swimming. I've gone to the beach, volleyball and the skateboarding. Desperate to get some to some athletics. A bit of a high jumper in my former life, Yes I.
Speaker 2: Was, Yeah, I was the old gory honey triple jap have too long ago for you guys. Having a great time. It's good to be here in it.
Speaker 10: It's magnificent. Yeah, it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, well we're planning tonight we'll be d I think we need to find Brett and eat some food because as we know, he's got worms.
Speaker 8: He's got a tape worm. Work on the side of the fish really has been fantastic. We're going to look to go out tomorrow at the athletics, nice and early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so look forward to it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's going to be amazing.
Speaker 1: Good on your Hannah, good on your good Minett.