Speaker 1: From the Skying Center. This is Paul Murray live.
Speaker 2: Can I get evening, especially to our mates in Southeast Queensland. We will be on the ground with you tomorrow night and all weekend.
Speaker 1: For the most obvious of reasons.
Speaker 2: Before I get into the latest and we get to a reporter who has been watching people prepare and gives us the latest from Southeast Queensland, particularly the Gold Coast. In a second, can I say something now that I'm probably not going to get the chance to say for the next couple of days, and I think a lot of people feel it. These events are not about politicians. They shouldn't be used by politicians. They should, of course be about the people and giving as much information as possible. Now we know why the Prime Minister is in Southeast Queensland. Queensland can't stand him, so he's going to try to use this to look like the leader. Here's the reality. The people who will do the emergency services work. They work for the state government or they are part of local government. The federal government does have some money here, and yes they throw some extra.
Speaker 1: Troops at it.
Speaker 2: But watching the Prime Minister begin a period of carrying on today and bringing ministers who are just frankly being publicized as local labor MPs. It's not okay with me, and thankfully there are other people who view this. An opinion section in the Courier Mail this afternoon says, this morning the Prime Minister visitor of the State Coordination Center a companied by the federal Sports Minister, Anika Wells. Anika Wells is the Sports Minister and the Age Care Minister. She has no relevance to this whatsoever, but she's a member for Lily and they are afraid that she may lose her seat, so she gets front and center. She along with the Prime Minister, are wasting some people's time here. We need the people to know that they're doing it and focused on what they're doing, not being dragged away to entertain politicians as our state braces for the worst. Mister Ravenezy's visit amounts to a shameless grab for votes ahead of the looming election. Labor looks set to lose Queensland is aren't stupid? This Albo and Alfred show is just an There is an exception, of course, and that is the state Premier.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I come from a different era when it wasn't state premiers who were the ones who.
Speaker 1: Were sort of m seeing these things.
Speaker 2: Instead it was the head of the rural fire Service, the head of the sees. But now, particularly after Anna Bly the best part of what ten years ago when it came to the floods. Back then, all politicians and certainly at the state level, they become the chief spokesperson for everyone connected into the government. So I don't think I think it's important to the prime ministers across it. But I think the idea that the Prime Minister is going to stand there and soak up time on the hour every hour, or popping up somewhere else and standing next to Labor Party MPs, that is desperately trying to prop up. I know I'll cop flak for it, but I'm saying it now before the things get serious. Best be out of the way, not front and center. But this prime minister is of course shameless. The people I want to hear from is not just the premier, but I want to hear from the emergency officials. I want to hear from the people who actually do the work, because I'll tell you the truth, be it COVID or be it an earthquake, or be it a bush fire, be it a flood.
Speaker 1: Or be it a tropical cyclone.
Speaker 2: The experts are the ones who are briefing the politicians. I want to hear from the people who are the experts. I want to hear about their theories about whether things are getting better or worse, whether it's going to land here, whether it's going to move this way or that way. The granular detail matters. Yes, the opportunity is there, and if we have the opportunity to talk with the Queen's Land Premiere, I gladly will. But the Prime Minister laying on top of all of this, I've got my issues so too.
Speaker 1: What is about to bear down?
Speaker 2: Yes, I know we're a couple of days out and some people may say, hey, let's talk about it when it's here. No, let's talk about it now, because now's the time you can prepare. Hopefully this thing is not as bad as it seems. But if it is as bad as it seems, Southeast Queen's Land and an awful lot of people are in real trouble. Anywhere between twenty thirty thousand homes anywhere from the top of the Sunshine Coast to the top of the north coast of New South Wales are going to be in the eye of this thing.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It's either going to be heavy rain, it's going to be strong winds, it's going to be the storm surge. A lot of properties in Queensland are right up against the beach, so there's lots of things to pay attention to here today. Local councils, and I've got to say a massive shout out to the local councils in southeast Queensland the way that they respond. They are the ones who offer the free sandbacks, and there have been hundreds of thousands of them that have been handed out. People have had to wait hours for them, but Queensland has been Queenslanders. They take it all in their stride. But well donder the councils that have provided these things, and they don't provide it two days before they do it for the best part of all of this week. Here are some of the people who have been doing that to prepare if the water gets anywhere near the little breaks under the door or towards their home that hopefully it won't be higher than the fortresses they are building as we speak. Apparently we limited to twenty five so Yeah, you're going to get them as you.
Speaker 3: Try and get the lot. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh myself, neighbors down the road.
Speaker 5: I've just moved into a new house, so I'm really not sure how it's going to behave yeah through this weather events. So yeah, better be safe than sorry.
Speaker 2: Not just sandbags, lots of other things people are doing also, so important message came from the Queensland government today. If you've got solar panels, turn them off now. Obviously these things may blow around, may be pulled off from roofs, but they're saying turn off the systems right now rather than trying to secure them. Certainly, don't do what a couple of people have done, which is to put the sandbags on those things, because of course things are going to blow around and those things become projectiles. Here's more people getting ready. What are they doing in southeast Queensland. Remember we're not talking about a little bit. We're talking about the vast majority of Queensland's population that sits anywhere from the Sunny coast to the border.
Speaker 6: It's a sensible thing to do right now to pack up so that we're not having to pack up in the full on cyclone winds tomorrow.
Speaker 7: So here.
Speaker 1: Oh pretty much. God is there's no water in that. It's all gone. So I've gone with coconut water to replace it.
Speaker 2: Ands that's pretty much I'm going to be trying to live off.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm pretty scared about it. So and we've been told to in a take all caution, so I think everyone should be serious to do that.
Speaker 2: One of the officials I want to hear a lot from is the Lord Mayor of Brisbane. Unlike most places, Brisbane basically has one giant local council area that is the Metropolitan Area of Brisbane, which means that a little bit like a mayor in the United States, they're not just talking about their little pocket. They are talking about the entire capital and future Olympic city. He's Adrian Shrinner.
Speaker 3: People should not be out tomorrow and the next day at the very least. It is a personal safety matter and we're certainly encouraging everyone in the community tomorrow Friday. Please stay indoors. It is the safest place for you, all right.
Speaker 1: Get to Jonathan Lee in a second. He's standing by.
Speaker 2: He's been watching all of this and the preparations. But let's get to sky on his weather. The very latest about exactly what he's going to be the potential hit zone of what he's being at this moment, colloquially referred to as Cyclone Alphie.
Speaker 9: The wind and the rain will increase through Thursday along the East coastline, but the worst of the weather is now expected to arrive on Friday, as tropical Cyclone Alfred is likely to reach the coast later. There's even a chance it won't make landfall until Saturday. The most dangerous part of the system could easily be the storm surge, where the water levels could rise very high and into people's homes.
Speaker 2: Now again, talking to people on the Sunny coast this evening, get to them watching right now again. Their expectations are things are going to be a little bit closer to Brisbane.
Speaker 1: But keep an eye on all of those maps and keep yourself safe, all right.
Speaker 2: Jonathan Lee is in Burley Burly Heads, which is of course on the southern part of the Gold Coast. Mate, what have you seen today as people get ready for a heck of a weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good eating to you, Paul.
Speaker 5: Please don't think that I'm a poor imitation of a DJ. It just starts to get hard at times.
Speaker 7: To hear from you.
Speaker 5: The squally gets up and we've just nearly got knocked off our feet.
Speaker 10: It's been a heck of a day, to be honest.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of people who are deeply unnerved with what's coming and what's headed their way. As you talked about before, you're looking at the better part of around four million people southeast Queensland, over the border of the Tweed community and then down into the northern rivers of New South Wales, which just continues to be beaten and bashed over the last fifteen years with flood after flood. Your heart really goes out to those people. In particular. We're looking at hundreds of thousands of sandbags which have gone out to communities. We're being told that more people have snapped them up, especially in the Redlands Bay area, which is where this cyclone is expected to cross, in ways they've never done before. Lines six seven hours long for people to get sandbags. People turning up with things like trolleys, trying to get in front of the cars as best they can to get their sandbags to get away. There's a lot of people deeply, deeply nervous about all of this. One of the things that been seriously concerned about is this tidal flow. If the cyclone was to hit at the peak of high around the two am mark, that would end up pushing that wall of water even further down the rivers and creeks, which would do even more damage to the homes, which obviously live a longest. It starts to look at this point in time, though, that we might end up seeing the tropical cyclone crossing later than expected. What will that mean If it's Saturday morning instead of Friday, we might lose some of that intensity, which would be good for the Queensland homes. They're the ones I worry most about. You might live in a pretty Queenslander, but if the house down the street hasn't been renovated like yours, and it hasn't gone through a cyclone for the past fifty years, you might find that that ends up in your backyard. That's the sort of stuff you've got to be worried about, especially if you live on stumps and you haven't had a decent weather event, or this is going to be the biggest weather event on the Gold Coast in seventy years. That's the sort of thing people are talking about. So we start to look at the intensity of the cyclone itself on the level of rain. If it doesn't come in until Saturday, it looks like it perhaps might not be as intense, but we'll end up seeing more rain. How that plays out, well, that'll impact on the communities living either along the rivers and the creeks and the tributaries, or where the water will end up in, like communities like Rosalie, which is in a low Brisbane has a lot of valleys throughout the city and that's where that water ends up going. We spoke to some people who were waiting here today having a gork at the incredible waves, the thumping waves which have been rolling in. One of the gentlemen we spoke to said he's actually staying in the caravan about one hundred and fifty meters away. Let's have a listen to what the locals were telling us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone's saying different things.
Speaker 1: Some people saying, Betty go stay.
Speaker 7: It's got a fizzle hour when it hits land.
Speaker 1: So I don't really know.
Speaker 3: I'm It's anyone's guess.
Speaker 1: Isn't it.
Speaker 4: I I've just obviously moved uff around the house. Yeah, just to prepare for I suppose what's expected. Yeah, it might have sort of bit surreal at the moment you sort of yeah, it's obviously not too windy, but a little bit of rain. But yeah, next thirty hours or yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, John, I was just going to ask about, you know, the Gold Coast in particular here where up Stay Runaway Bay. You've got a whole bunch of those houses, newer houses, but they are basically, you know, right up and off the major coastline. A whole bunch of other things down around Labrador Southport, and obviously we make our way through into the canals in and around the Gold Coast.
Speaker 1: The surge in.
Speaker 2: Water is going to be part of the problem here. Again, it's not just what comes down, it's what comes up. It's what's happening a couple of streets over of what you've been able to put together of the picture of the Gold Coast through say the mayor officials, briefings. People you're talking about be as specific as you want to, you know, suburb by a suburb if you wish, But what are the areas of the Gold Coast in particular that are of concern?
Speaker 5: Oh, Paul, I think you've just now them all on the head anyone who's living along a tributary and inlet.
Speaker 10: That was very good what you just said.
Speaker 5: Gold Coast is famous for those who live along the waterways, and that's where this is going to rise up and likely damag The Premier today was making the point that they're going to be prepositioning assets along those areas and routes to try and get assistance to people where they can, especially for instance, if they're going to be cut off. There's talk here that people should expect to lose power for five to seven days to make sure that they've got the food and the water needed if they're going to be cut off. So that's a very real danger if you've got your house backing onto a canal and you start to find the water coming and lapping at your back door going over the pool, So very real. As we said, it's the biggest weather event to strike this region in seventy odd years. The last cyclone I covered was two thousand kilometers north of here. That was in Cooktown. I covered another in Cairns where we traveled on a chopper sixteen hours to get there to make sure we had a chop a preposition to cover the story, and.
Speaker 7: We needed to.
Speaker 5: Cyclones don't come this far south. They're not supposed to. We've been hearing about the water being warmer than expected and warmer than the Coral Sea, which is the reason perhaps why it's hovered around and gone parallel to the coast here. It's not unusual. It's not to say that it's never happened before, but you don't normally expect to be covering a cyclone in your back door when it comes to the Gold Coast or southeast Queensland. With this thing crossing the CB depot.
Speaker 1: Good on your mate.
Speaker 2: We'll see you in person tomorrow and we'll have you on the show of course tomorrow night. We'll be there all the way through everything over the next few days. Thoughts by the way, and strength and love to everyone who's on stratty, Bribe islands, lots of other areas that, of course are going to be in the eye of all of this thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, we are talking about it a lot.
Speaker 2: It is potentially a couple of days away anywhere from Friday morning through to Saturday morning. But the effects of it are real important and as easy going as Queensland as our Please take it as seriously as it is being suggested, it's not just a Queensland issue. We'll get to the northern rivers of New South Wales, that northern half that has already gone through so many problems when it comes to flooding and mates in Lismore and further north.
Speaker 1: We'll get the wall of that in a moment or two time.
Speaker 2: But back to the point I was making about the Prime Minister and why he's got to be very careful about how he inserts himself into this thing. Again, it's a time when people don't want showboating. They're not interested in any way, shape or form. That goes for the media too, of course, which is why you keep your distance, but you tell the story. Okay, that's going to be our plans, an opportunity for us to stand and do silly things. It's again just to give information to people and to be able to spread that news across the country. So the Prime Minister has to take it carefully. And as I say, it's not a time for politicians, it's a time for information, and if the politician is giving information that should be the premiere or anything above that. I think it's a post game. But I'm sure I'll be criticized for saying. So, here's the reality across the country right now. The preferred prime Minister is not Anthony Arbernezi, which is why he would, in the cynical part of things, be hoping or the people around him, if I want to be uncharitable to them, think there's an opportunity to change this.
Speaker 1: But have a look at this.
Speaker 2: In Queensland, the preferred prime minister is well and truly Peter Dutton. Anthony Arbernesi doesn't even have a third of the votes in Queensland.
Speaker 1: He needs to.
Speaker 2: Treat it very carefully in the next few days. As for his job performance nationally, fifty six percent of people say he's doing a poor or very poor job, sixty percent in Queensland. As for the direction that the country is heading, in a few more detail about some pollingd that we got out of the turble times otherwise known in the Garden Guddion via the Essential organization. When it comes to the right track the wrong track for both the Prime Minister and Peter Dutton to be fighting what seems to be the early days of the election could be well called this weekend. The expectation of it being called maybe as late as Monday. Otherwise we're off to a budget and then we are looking at something closer to May rather than the April election. Forty nine percent of Australian say we're headed in the wrong direction. Just a third of people say that we are headed in the right direction. And in terms of the number of people who are certain about which way they're going to vote, have a look at this.
Speaker 1: Fifty two percent of people.
Speaker 2: Say, bang lock me in, I'm done, So they've already decided whether they're going team red, team blue, team yellow, team team orange, whatever they're going to be. There is the best part of thirty five percent of people who say that they can change their mind, but have a look at this. Thirteen percent of people say no decision has been made yet. Put simply that forty seven percent of people is of course where the election is going to be fought. But once you start to dig down into the information, we might be working out where these people who haven't made any decision are hiding their votes when it comes to talking to the polls. Now, this could be something that will surge labor when it comes to preferences and get them across the line. Probably not as a majority government, but closer to a majority than anyone else. Or if they're about to make a big change and go to a minor party that will preference the Libs or vote for the Libs, then obviously it is going to be game over for the existing government.
Speaker 1: But have a look.
Speaker 2: Remember the red line are the people who have not made a decision yet yet. When they are telling posters about whom they're going to vote for, it looks like they're hiding their vote right now in none of the above, the independent or other parties. Now whether these are people saying that they want to vote for a local teal but in actual fact, twenty percent of them have made.
Speaker 1: No decision yet.
Speaker 2: So a lot of people are looking granularly at each of the seats, and how many people are going to go something other than the major parties, Well, twenty percent of that vote hasn't even begun the process of making a decision. Still the best part of what thirty eight percent should have warned the glasses tonight. Thirty eight percent of people they say that they are flexible. But all of that fascinating and important to watch now. Of course, if the news events don't help the Prime Minister, Well, guess what your money apparently will. One of the ways that this government is able to keep flogging its bad ideas is with your money via public information campaigns. The longer you put off an election, the more of it you can spend. Because, of course, while the taxpayer essentially is paying for Labor Party advertising when you call an election, it's the Labour Party that has to pay well under our team today because figures have revealed during Senate estimates about seventy million dollars of advertising is in the future made in Australia fund the supporting Australians and the Stage three tax cuts, remember the two little too late. They've still got seventy million bucks of all of what they promised, which was about a quarter of a billion dollars still to spend. The federal government spent thirty five and a half million dollars talking about it's net zero transition twenty two when it comes to its tax cuts, where again plenty more to go, and promoting itself when it comes to cost of living.
Speaker 1: So watch this space.
Speaker 2: They use your money, which is why they put off an election for as long as possible.
Speaker 1: Now, something that's probably not front of mine.
Speaker 2: It's not about cyclones, it's not about elections, but it is something that is I think part of the picture about why certain crimes have taken off around the country but are particularly focused in Victoria. I'm talking here about illegal tobacco. Now, there has been an explosion in the number of tobacco shops that are around the country. I'm making no suggestion about the images of what we are showing here, but that's an illustration, of course, of what a tobacco shop will look like. Well, we learned this week that actual illegal cigarettes or illegal tobacco products are now overtaking the legal product. Sixty minutes apart from the little tickle lego the Prime Minister, they did a fascinating story about the world under Nick McKenzie where they were talking about how about ten years of excessive taxation which has now made cigarettes so ludicrously expensive. Is part of the problem here because the crap that comes in from overseas, apparently with some support of the Chinese Navy.
Speaker 1: I'll get to that in a couple of days time.
Speaker 2: Well, all of that, of course, it's becoming cheaper and the better option for people because there's more places selling it. There's fewer people actually checking if they're selling it, and the taxes are too high.
Speaker 10: What's concerning, though, is not only the level of violence, but why this thuggery started in the first place. By taxing cigarettes so exorbitantly in an attempt to stop people smoking, what the government has inadvertently created is a thriving black market worth five billion dollars a year.
Speaker 2: Also important to note here too, is that once the illegal product, I mean, much of the attention that has been made from multiple governments over multiple years, and remember we're going right back to Rudguillard, Rudd into all of the liberal governments into the current government that have been constantly jacking up tobacco taxes. They've said that they're putting all of the effort into stopping the tobacco getting into the country. Well, clearly that's failing, because now more people are smoking the illegal stuff than the legal stuff. And one of the things that came out of that report on sixty minutes is that once it gets here, basically no one's tracking how it ends.
Speaker 1: Up in one of your local smoke shops.
Speaker 11: Once these products were past the border, then there was really no one domestically who was capable and resourced to address the distribution of the I listed product.
Speaker 2: And Victoria Police agree with the idea that if taxes have gone up so high that the product becomes so expensive, then people start looking for the cheapest stuff that is just as freely available.
Speaker 10: Detective Superintendent Jason Kelly, head of Victoria's Anti Gang's Division, He says the increase in the tax apply to tobacco has inflamed the problem.
Speaker 12: The gap between the illicit product and the legitimate product is there is a fairly significant gap, and serious and organized crime leveraged off the fact that they can import elicit tobacco and pay minimal amounts of money, which competes then, of course, with legitimate packs of cigarettes and tobacco.
Speaker 1: Now, as you know, I am a smoker. Dumbest decision of my life. Right.
Speaker 2: This is not about me trying to find some clever way of talking about or promoting, but it's about a conversation which is the government is addicted to the revenue and the revenue is not having the effect that they wanted, which was the higher the prices, the fewer the number of smokers. So you end up with smokers who go looking for cheaper products. Those are funding illegal gangs in this country. So government will turn a and say we want to keep the revenue, oh, but will go even harder after stopping this stuff. The reality is we have seen that it has not worked, that it does not work, so there has to be a conversation about just how high these taxes are. So people start moving back to the legal product and we start to starve the money of the illegal gangs. Let me show you all of this now, since two thousand and five, over the past say twenty years, there has been an ever growing amount of money that the government takes through higher tobacco taxes. It goes from five to eight to expectations this year of eleven billion dollars, more than double the amount that they were taking twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: So the logic was.
Speaker 2: That all of the smokers will they would eventually give up because of the price, but because of this crap that's on the streets, they're not. These are the numbers from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Three and a half million smokers in two thousand and five and no change, in fact, a slight increase over the past ten years. So the price has gone up double double when it comes to taxes in the past twenty years. As you can see, in the past ten years, no change in the number of people that the federal government is counting as smokers. That means that the tax situation is not the situation that will stop people smoking. We need to bring down those taxes so people go back to the legal product. Clearly that's the number that want to smoke. That's their decision. We are all fools for doing it. But someone somewhere is going to have.
Speaker 1: To deal with this.
Speaker 2: But of course it'llaw'll be too hard basket because anyone who's talking about dropping tobacco taxes somehow will of course be someone definitely trying to get the next generation of smoke.
Speaker 1: No. I just want the illegal gangs.
Speaker 2: Out of the suburbs because there are so many of these smoke shops and the standover is happening in almost every suburb in the country.
Speaker 1: It needs to change.
Speaker 2: The big speech today from Donald Trump, I thought was fanning. Yeah, it was two hours. If you're not a Trump fan, you didn't like any of it. But if you are, oh, I loved every second of it, especially the suki suki Democrats, even when he was saying things like we are we've introduced laws to make sure that people who are known criminals we booted out of the country. Such was their hate for Trump, they couldn't get off their ass. No, no, no, they were playing to their very small little wedge. And there was a lot of serious stuff, and there was the Ukraine stuff, and there was trade war stuff.
Speaker 1: But this moment his old.
Speaker 2: School USA Showbiz and signed me up for four years of this baby.
Speaker 13: Joining us, said the gallery. Tonight, there is a young man who truly loves our police.
Speaker 1: His name is DJ.
Speaker 13: Daniel is thirteen years old and he has always dreamed of becoming a police officer. But in twenty eighteen, DJ was diagnosed with brain cancer. The doctors gave him five months at most to live. That was more than six years ago. And tonight, DJ, We're going to do you the biggest honor of them all. I am asking our new Secret Service Director Sean Curran to officially make you an agent of the United States Secret Service.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that.
Speaker 2: I know it's showbies, I know I love every second of that. I really do as I do the local mayors because they are the ones who are dealing with communities, and let's talk to the ones in the northern part of New South Wales right now. One is well known to you, Steve Craig, of course, who is the Lismore mayor. And joining us as well right now is Sharon Cordwalder, who is the Balan mayors.
Speaker 1: Hello, and nice to talk to you, Steve. I'll get you in a second, but Sharon, let's deal with you first.
Speaker 2: When this thing rolls down at some point, there's going to be an impact on your community. What are the preparations that have been happening in northern New South Wales.
Speaker 14: Well, Paul, we're absolutely prepared this time, unlike twenty twenty two when we're absolutely caught out big time. The preparations that have been in place are as good as they can be. I think at this particular point in time, obviously I'm anxious like everybody else in the community. It's something that is unpredictable. We don't know, but then again we're expecting a category two, not a three, four or five. So yes, it could be worse. But we're not used to dealing with cyclones either. We're used to dealing with floods. And we've certainly got some learnings from the twenty twenty two floods, but for us, we're not used to dealing with high winds, scale force winds, and that's what we're experiencing right now. And we've still got families in pod villages and of course they were only built to withstand one hundred kilometer winds and they are being evacuated. Caravan parks are being evacuated as we speak. But we're a resilient community. Hate that we're resilient, but we're strong. But we're even stronger when we unite together, and that's what we're doing right now. The volunteerism here is alive and well. Makes me feel so proud that our community has banded together to help one another. So it's absolutely fantastic to see what's playing out here as we prepare for this disaster that we just simply can't avoid.
Speaker 2: Good on your shar and I'll keep you on the line. Let's talk to Steve about Lismore, because you've been uphill, they've been downhill. There's plenty about preparation. Information matters, early notice matters. Part of the kick in the backside A couple of years ago was about the failure of information before things happen.
Speaker 1: So how are you guys holding it?
Speaker 11: Three years?
Speaker 1: But too long? And I do have to call you back about that other thing. I will.
Speaker 4: Into it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a challenge.
Speaker 1: Hang on, Steve.
Speaker 2: Sorry, mate, there's a chakra of an audio line here, mate, So I'll ask Sharon.
Speaker 1: One more question.
Speaker 2: We'll fix that up and then we'll go into the full chat with Steve Sharon last one here. We've seen things like the sandbag stuff that happens up in Southeast Queensland. What's the sort of support that council offers community or is it slightly different in New South Wales where these things are offered by other people. What's Balana often offering to its people.
Speaker 14: Well, we must remember that the lead agent in all of this is the ses. Yes, Balaner Council are there to support the sees so DJC they are the stand up agency for evacuation centers and certainly a lot of community don't understand that that you know, in an emergency they just need to ring Triple O one three two five hundred for SS support and all those things. But council is there as a support but.
Speaker 2: It doesn't play the same role in New South Wales that it does in Queensland.
Speaker 1: That's important.
Speaker 2: That's the way things are ordered and organized, correct where it is the state government thing and yeah, Sees and Tripolo, that's the way to stay in toime.
Speaker 14: And I must also say I think there's a lot to be said for localized import and actions locally. I mean, we have an Sees building here in Balin and that's not fit for purpose. I've been trying to get a new building for twenty five years and they were looking at trying to evacuate because the roof's likely to blow off. It's an old caretakers cottage from about fifty years ago that they operate out of, and so they were looking to evacuate to the ballin of golf club.
Speaker 1: Well that's yeah, I mean, that's acutely I can wederstand this.
Speaker 2: That's clearly madness, the idea that multiple premiers prime ministers have rolled through and that's still the case. All right, thank you, Shan. We'll talk to you again a little further down the track. I've got a feeling probably this time tomorrow and again on Sunday. All right, Steve, all do you makee talk about Lismore, Hay holding up. What are you doing to get ready?
Speaker 8: Liz Moore is doing its best that it can to get ready. Paul, it's only three years since we're fourteen and a half meters underwater, and you couldn't get more bad news if you tried to be honest with you. People are tired, they're exhausted. It's been three years of recovery. We're really only at the start of our recovery process, and this is the worst case scenario for Lismon, to be honest with you, but we're holding in there. We're hoping that worst case doesn't come to fruition. But you know, we just have to wait and see if the weather is in our favor. If we don't get the rain that's forecast, will be okay. But yeah, forecast at the moment is possibly the lever the levee over topping. And if that's the case, we're in a lot of trouble because people are exhausted. We've spent three years in recovery and rebuilding, and yeah, to be honest with you, mate, I don't know if our community can back up and do it again.
Speaker 2: Because also what Sharon was mentioning. Obviously there's a lot of people who were nowhere near the homes that they were pushed out of a couple of years ago. And as you're barely holding on and as you say, you're still at the start of a process. All right, Yeah, the media moves on, the beat moves on, but the disaster and the rebuild does not. How much concerned do you have if you've got just massive wins about the people that are still living in pretty temporary accommodation.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's how to be honest with you. It is mine and our community's biggest concern is people's health and safety. Some people are taking this really seriously and started an evacuation process and their flood plan management on Monday in bright sunshine and no winds. You may or may not be able to hear behind. I'm in a color bond roof building and it's pouring outside at the moment. Some people started this afternoon their evacuation process, and other people don't believe that they're in any sort of danger. So you know, there is that messaging shortfall to be honest with you about it, may or may not overtop the levee. We don't know exactly how high it's going to be. We've got all of these new rain gages and flood high gauges that we've installed since twenty twenty two, but still really no clearer about where we're going to be this time in two days.
Speaker 1: That is mad. Were going to stay in touch, mat. I'll give you a call. I do promise in the next twenty four hours. Thank you, mate, all of this said that to me before I know. That's what I'm saying to your champion. Now I'm on TV, so you can smack me right around the head with it. Thank you, mate. I'll get back here a second. All right, thank you Steve.
Speaker 2: Steve Craig, who is the mayor of liz Moore, laur right, quick break back with more. We are going to be all across this for the most obvious of reasons, because we love for so many of the people who watch us on Sky News Regional are they watch us for free, they watch us on Foxtel. They're so passionate when we do our towns. So it's our time, our turn to return the favor with our full attention. All right, let us move on to the day's politics and Bromwin Bishop versus Stephen Conroy.
Speaker 1: What could possibly go wrong or right?
Speaker 2: More in effect, thank you so much for watching, joining us now, Bromwin Bishop, the carry out a champ as always on a Wednesday night. She's here, the former Speaker of the House, the man who turns up because he's just here to help and challenge. But Jess falls that one little bit short. Sadly, that's the way it is. Stephen Conroy. I'm sorry the score key, because they're very fair on this program, very fair as you know. All right now, big bit of economic news today, and I'm not going to let it pass because I think that in terms of people's feelings it's going to be a little more significant even than the interest rate drop. And that is the per capita recession ended apparently today twenty one months, multiple quarters. But Bromwin, obviously there are the figures that come out of camera versus the reality of real life. Cost of living is the absolute front and center. None of that's going to change no matter how many times the Prime Minister wants to parade around over the next few days or change the subject to medicare. But at least an indicy suggests slightly better.
Speaker 6: Well, here's the problem. You've had seven quarters of going backwards. Now you've got one that marginally ticks up. And the treasure says, hell are lunar. We're adding your self landing.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful.
Speaker 6: Well, he can enjoy your self landing because I don't think he's got too many people with him. If you are ask the average person in the street, are they feeling any better or are they just feeling worse off under this government?
Speaker 1: That's the house you get.
Speaker 6: And I just know when I go into the supermarket, what I end up getting in my trolley for a huge amount of money is getting less and less. And I've used the example before. I use my example of the bendmin index. Used to pay five dollars for my size this big. Now it's seven dollars thirty and it hasn't gone down, and it's just not going to go down. And so that's just indicative of so many items on the shelf. Yes, you'll get a movement in things like an Iceberg lettuce. You can get it for two dollars forty, but then the next time will be three.
Speaker 1: Dollars fifty exactly.
Speaker 6: So you'll get those movements. But bottom line is people are still thirty.
Speaker 2: Well, and this is the thing, Stephen, where I know that the people who are going to push that everything is.
Speaker 1: Better, the worst of it is all over.
Speaker 2: That's fine if you've got a personal cushion, right, And I showed earlier in the week the polling that was there when it came to the people who were comfortable versus difficulties and financial difficulties and their sense of the country and the right or the wrong direction, and obviously people that are really in trouble the wrong directions up into the seventies right, as opposed to the people doing it okay, Like frankly most of the people who will be talking about this stuff publicly or certainly the politicians, and they're back down towards the forty. I know, turning a corner is always turning a corner, but if people don't actually feel it in their life, good luck telling me we've turned a corner.
Speaker 7: Look, I think that's dad right. Some of the points from we made were also spot on.
Speaker 2: The show's done Reagon in our time, we're done for the election. I'll just play that grab over and over write, Stephen.
Speaker 7: But which is why I don't think you're seeing the government doing any victory lapse. I think the government would raw confident that their strategy, as hard as as it's been, as at least going in the right direction. But I can't imagine that Albow Jim will be doing any victory lapse trying to pretend that it's better than it is. People have been doing it tough for you know, a year or two.
Speaker 15: Now.
Speaker 7: These are positive signs, but they're not changing people's lives overnight, which is why I think the sort of the modest, you know, noting of these things is the absolutely appropriate way that Jim and Alba have been behaving today in the last few days.
Speaker 1: Its interest right.
Speaker 7: No one said, hey, that said the election's over with, wine got back on track. There's none of that in the governments because I think you're bright. Both would be right that the government will get a terrible flogging if they tried to go down that path.
Speaker 6: But Stephen, you've got the treasury and a snake jum. He continually says, Look, everything's wonderful, wages it up and we're beating inflation and everything's on. I'm just doing such a.
Speaker 1: Great job here.
Speaker 6: You've got to be terribly grateful for me and re elect me, and by the way, I'll be the next leader. So just just watch this space.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's out and about basically campaigning in the middle of this storm.
Speaker 1: To watch himself.
Speaker 6: It's he's it's an illusion. He just sells an illusion and people don't believe it.
Speaker 7: Stephen, No, I don't. I don't think that it's an illusion. I think what Bronwin described as what Jim's saying as well, I'll be gentle over egging what Jim has been saying.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, it's election season. What did you bring the gloves? You bring the knuckles to this fight?
Speaker 1: I've got We've got five more weeks to go. I gotta save.
Speaker 6: I got to say, don't early, Steve, You're going to have to explain some terribly unexplainable stuff al off the line.
Speaker 2: Well, it'll be fun between now and then. All right, now, let's talk about Trump and his speech today again. I focused on on the sort of theatrical note. And look, here's the thing. Every state of the Union, from those who didn't vote for the person or like the person, you can say, well, hang on, there's this bit. All of that's true, right, but Trump clearly was about trying to sort of pack a whack of the sense of confidence in the United States. Here in parties what he said.
Speaker 13: Six weeks ago, I stood beneath the dome of this Capitol and proclaimed the dawn of the Golden Age of America. From that moment dawn, there's been nothing but swift and unrelenting action to usher in the greatest and most successful era in the history of our country. We have accomplished more in forty three days than most administrations accomplished in four.
Speaker 1: Years or eight years. And we are just getting started.
Speaker 2: Steve and I was watching the full two hours punching the sky. My missus had to eventually leave the room, going I've had enough, I'm out.
Speaker 1: So I get it.
Speaker 7: But still, uh, you have such a wive's wife.
Speaker 1: What did you What did you think of it?
Speaker 7: Look, look, I think it was just yeah, vintage Trump. It didn't it didn't change a view. I think you're right. You know, you're a vote for him and you like him and you like what he said today, or you're voted against him, you hate him and you.
Speaker 1: Didn't like what he had to say.
Speaker 7: But while I think he certainly made an impact on the global stage, you know, sucking up to Putin, delivering Putin's agenda, pretending he's about peace when you kind of peace without security. I think that's the challenge, and that continues to be the key challenge. And you know, I wouldn't want to be a Ukrainian says oh, I can rely on Donald Trump because then we've got a contract with him to dig up our minerals. Someone else, maybe named Putin, could come wondering, take control and say, yep, just keep digging. Uh So I wouldn't accept there's an implicit becau We've got people digging up our minds. I think that is the most fundamental thing that Trump has to deliver. And then he is in a position to demand that Zelenski do much more to reach a page to al. But that is a key part.
Speaker 6: But Stephen, I think the way he finished the question of the letter of regret, shall we say, for behavior in the Oval office when he overstepped the mark. And I do think he overstepped the mark on that occasion. But he knows, and Trump knows that he has to get that deal through, and I think the way he dealt with it in his speech was quite masterful, and I like Paul, I watched it all and I thoroughly enjoyed it, as you would expect me to do. So the line I think I like the best was when he said we had in this Congress the question being asked of us, we need more resources, We need more of this and more of this to close the border, and he said, oh, we ever needed. Really was just a new.
Speaker 1: President best line for the country.
Speaker 6: It was justin Barber's line. But the other thing that stuck in my mind was the contrast between the speech he made of the state of the Union when Nancy Pelosi at the end tore up his speech. That was the worst behavior I have ever.
Speaker 2: Seen, but also mean, Look, you know, you guys have won elections, lost elections. You've been told by you know, people like me on TV. Oh they'll never co all of that, right, but obviously that you know, tide comes in, tide comes out, right, Stephen.
Speaker 1: The Democrats were ridiculous today.
Speaker 2: When we're not standing for anything, including the really obvious stuff. Okay, they're going to sit there and try and do their bit, but they looked so childish. And I know that they think, well, Trump's childish, but I'll tell you what you won. They won zero people who voted for Trump. Thinking about empowering them, What did you think of sort of the student politics kind of holding up bingo signs?
Speaker 5: That was pathetic.
Speaker 7: I think if you compare the behavior of you know, Lauren Bobbert last State of the Union and Marjorie Taylor Green, and they're just screaming abuse, that's Joe Biden. So I think, unfortunately, unfortunately they're the theater of these things are becoming a little absurd, and people need to win the vote on the ground. And I don't know that anything happened from anyone major Taley, Green or Bobbert or these these democrats today make any difference out there in voter land.
Speaker 1: So that's important thing, a lot of difference, I do.
Speaker 6: I think it was a very very powerful speech and it certainly will play well.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. Thank you guys, do appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We're going to get out of here because the one of them, Me and Kelly in the United States is next. It is our favorite time of the week to speak to our favorite person in the world of water well, Megan Kelly and surprise, surprise, After everything that people were carrying on a bad last week.
Speaker 1: Things are coming back.
Speaker 2: Trump's why when it comes to Ukraine and Zelenski.
Speaker 15: Could you believe what happened in the Oval Office of right, it was one of those things we were like, what a right, the emotions, it was incredible, And honestly, I'm thrilled because I just feel like, look, I wish it hadn't happened. I wish they'd just it had gone well and they had signed the minerals deal that day. But something about it works, which is Trump reminding the world he's really not to be trifled with, Like it's not all bluster. He will cut your meeting short and kick you out of the White House if you're not a good person, if you don't behave well. And so if he's willing to do that to a friend, I think what he would do to it enemy. I actually just think it's a good message, like he really is the strong man that he purports to be. But if you look at that whole forty minutes that preceded the big moment, he was a perfect gentleman. Kept getting antagonized, the eye rolling, the size, the interruptions from Zelenski, who has no bargaining power, and really should be in a supplicant position toward the United States, and Trump kept us cool and finally blew and now we're going to get the deal that we wanted. Only Zelenski's less powerful, with less bargaining power, and has humiliated himself. So it wasn't a smart move by Zelenski. Trump handled himself just fine. And I think this thing will get wrapped up because there's no place to go. There's no place for the negotiation to land that's better than the deal Trump is proposing.
Speaker 2: I also think a really big thing that happened to die, and a lot happened to die, was that the company that makes little micro chips that are important for competing now and into the future, they're going to spend one hundred billion dollars making stuff in the United States. Companies like Apple and Honda have now moved they're ops back to the US. It's about a trillion and a half dollars worth of investments. Baden couldn't even get a trillion in four years.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and Trump's doing very well with that so far. We'll see. It takes a while for these chips manufacturing plants to be built, and so that's not going to be like a turnkey operation, but we're going to need to do that. And the Taiwanese have all the reason in the world to try to please the United States of America because obviously they're very worried about what China is going to do to them, and that's going to be a whole other fight that we're probably going to be looking at over the next four years, because I don't think the American people have the appetite to fight a war against China anymore than they do to fight one against Russia. And you know, you could make the case that China's got its rights to Taiwan are much greater than Putin's were to Ukraine. So I don't think that's going to be a great foreign policy area over the next four years. But I love the investment, and that's what Trump's doing over and over look, I don't think he's trying to punish Canada and Mexico with these tariffs just for the sake of it. I really do think he's got a couple of goals. He does feel like we've been made chumps of because there's such a trade imbalance with other countries that are so called friends. You know, people say, why.
Speaker 10: Would you do this?
Speaker 15: You our friends, Well, our friends are pouring fentanyl across the border at record numbers. Our friends are killing our kids. It's the number one cause of death. Ventanyl's the number one cause of death for young people in America. What kind of a friend keeps supplying the thing that's causing the death over and over and over and over. No, that's not a friend. Why should we treat them like they are?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 15: Trump is telegraphing to both our neighbor to the south and north, we're serious about this. You will get the fentanyl from crossing to stop crossing our border, or you will be punished, and any trade imbalances which are long pass due to be addressed will be now. And what we saw on Trump one point zero was he said he's going to do that with China, and he did slap a tariff on China. Tariffs, and they lost their heads on the left. And then when Biden took over, they were working so well.
Speaker 10: He kept them. He kept them.
Speaker 15: Just Trump comes back in office, they're still in place, and Trump's like, they work so well. I'm going to slap another ten percent on China and let's make it twenty five on Canada and Mexico, and I do believe it will change behaviors, and I do believe there will be some short term pain for some industries in America, but that if it gets unbearable or too bad, Trump will do something. He's not just going to let the American farmer with her on the vine and close up shop.
Speaker 10: That's not Trump.
Speaker 15: Those are, in part the communities that largely helped elect him. So I think we should trust in Trump. He's he was elected to try new and different things, and that's what he's doing. And I think we should trust in him to be nimble enough if something gets too bad and he believes it's actually not working, to change it.
Speaker 13: All.
Speaker 2: Right, Let's go to the shallow end of the pond. Was Anora your favorite movie of the year. This is the movie about prostitutes that won Best Picture?
Speaker 1: And when I was I thought, you know who's going to love this, Megan Kelly.
Speaker 2: I can see you and your beautiful boy Doug sitting on the couch watching it over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: It's the best picture, mate, Sure.
Speaker 15: And I sat down with my thirteen year old daughter and I said, honey, it's sex worker. She's a sex worker. This is absolutely fine. You can be a tech worker, you can be an industrial worker, you can be a healthcare worker, you can be a sex worker. It's totally up to you, sweetheart. They're all equally empowering choices. The whole thing was an exercise in these preening, self important celebrities who really don't have anything interesting to say, and then the other half who knew that about themselves so just showed up naked. That's really what we got on Hollywood's Biggest night.
Speaker 1: Good stuff, Megan. We'll see you again next week.
Speaker 15: All right, see you, pall bye?
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow is Southeast Queensland full coverage. We will be on the ground when it comes to this tropical cyclone. And I'm over time, but can I quickly tell you a story. My executive producer Lucy each and every morning gets up very early, goes and does lots of fitness stuff, helps pair of the show early, late night whatever. She's twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: We love her.
Speaker 2: Today she provided CPR to somebody after they had had a heart attack. Her actions kept that person alive loose. You're a lifesaver and we love your dum