Speaker 1: Peter Kranland live on Sky News Australia.
Speaker 2: Don't you dare drop that National Cabinet, Chris Kenny, I love it every Thursday. Good evening, everyone, Welcome to the program. Here's what's coming up tonight on Kredline. The latest on doctor g Hard, the huge revelations today that'll make your blood boil.
Speaker 3: I'll update is shortly.
Speaker 2: We'll also speak to the journalists and brilliant journalists who broke the story live on the program a little later. Growing speculation too today that factional support for jacent to Allan's crumbling. I'm told this afternoon that meetings are being held in the margins of the ALP National Conference in Adelaide. State Parliament's back next week, so will she be rolled plas Bowen's battery blowout expected to cost taxpayers over eight billion dollars. Worse still, the majority of these billions are being paid to foreign battery manufacturers. That's coming out and all the action out of day one of the a LP conference. The elephant in the room for labor even is clearly one nation.
Speaker 4: Even the very first labor government was not a monoculture.
Speaker 2: We'll cross live to Adelaid for the latest therapy. First labor has been exposed. The secrecy and the duplicity of the Albanesi government and the weakness in the face of radical Islam now laid bare for all to see. Just last night I had this to say, and revelations that Perth born isis. Doctor Tarek Kamler was not dead as previously thought, but alive and behind bars in an Iraqi prison. And he is just one of a group of thirteen Australians so tells us the Iraqi officials being investigated by them over allegations that they were terrorists for Islamic State. Today, as we know, it's the women and the children here. Soon it'll be the men, mark my words. Is Australia involved here?
Speaker 3: Is our government or our officials any part of this? Are they across it? Are they being briefed? Again?
Speaker 2: No comment from Home Affairs. But knowing what I do about how Canberra works, not for one minute do I believe that Australian authorities are out of the loop on any of this. Not for one minute do I think that this front page of the newspaper today was a surprise to Tony Burke or his Home Affairs Department.
Speaker 3: I just don't buy that.
Speaker 2: I suspect that's precisely why Home Affairs refused.
Speaker 3: To make a comment comment. Well, I was right.
Speaker 2: Today we learn again via the Australian newspaper that not only does the Albanezi government know all about this doctor g Hard, but they've known about him for years, yes, years, and they've kept it a secret. Reports today that Penny Wong's Department of Foreign Affairs was briefed about Calmeless Survival four years ago, in twenty twenty two and again last year exposes just how compromised the Albanesi government is when it comes to the issue of isis returnees be they male or female. As a reporter Mohammed Alfarez and Paul Garvi have said today in the Australian and they got this from a defat source. Officials you about doctor g Hard from a tip off by US agents in Iraq, but quote decided to stay out of it and not get involved. Well they are involved. Deciding not to get involved. Is it a decision in itself because, as the Iraqi authorities said in their media statement yesterday, the potential repaired creation of Tarak Kamla back to Australia remains that I quote an open yet conditional pathway and so by leaving it to Baghdad to take the running on this bloke, this alleged terrorist, in all but guarantees he'll face little opposition returning to this country. And when asked, alber Easy will just claim his government's doing nothing to assist doctor g Hard's return, or that are the other twelve men that the Iraqi's report all want to come back to Australia. But deciding not to stop the return of this man is helping him. Not imposing exclusion order is helping him. Not stopping him at all in any way is absolutely getting involved. Now, Albert Easy, you are fooling no one here. Has doctor g Hard already lodged an application for a new passport? Well, I want to know that has he had a prison visit from any Australians, Muslim mats or government officials. Has his Perth based family had any contact with him? Is this where Tony Burke's political ally, doctor Jabal Riffi, is going to deploy his repatriation efforts next. Now, all of these questions deserve an answer. I can tell you from experience that if Defat has had a briefing on this individual. Other departments will have been briefed as well, absolutely Home Affairs and the Prime Minister's own department. Reports today say Acio is a cross it Well, I bet they are, and our International Intelligence arm the agency ASIS. I don't know, but I would highly suspect. It's also been an issue discussed in the National Security Committee of Cabinet, the NSC and I bet they did it under the line as an underlying item to limit the paper trail because it is dynamite. And it's dynamite because Labour's political dependence on the Muslim vote in the key seats they hold, like Tony Burke's own seat of Watson, compromises them in every way. Burke holds his seat and the Albinezy government turns a blind eye to the return of his ice. As sympathizers, that's what they are at best, Active terrorists is what they are. With the worst of the claims are in fact true. Now, if you think I'm angry here, you bet I am. I know you are angry too. Not only are we being lied to, but as we have seen so clearly on the beach at Bondai, radicals in this country will cost Australian lives. Terrorism is real, sadly in this country now. It's not an abstract thing anymore. It's not just happening in other countries. It's real and it's here, and unless we move fast and rooted out, we will never be safe now right now, without any need for additional powers or new laws. Albertizy could act to keep these men out right now now, as outlined here on the show last night. That's exactly what he can and should do. And here's that expert we often talked to about counter terrorism, former Federal Police Superintendent Detective David Craig. Give us a sense right now of what he's got on his desk that he could use to keep this man out.
Speaker 1: Okay, well not even just this man, Peter, pardon me, Okay. The first thing the government needs to be doing is using these temporary exclusion orders. Now, I've seen Tony Burk say that there'll be a constitutional challenge, or that the High Court won't like it, or the fact is, no High court has actually tested the validity constitutional validity of temporary exclusion orders. So that's a nonsense. He's scared of something that doesn't actually exist. If this is going to push our laws to the High Court, then this is the case to do it on.
Speaker 2: And Gus Taylor, I really want to see you and the Opposition take this fight up to the Prime Minister. Now there's a whole lot of questions I've already outlined tonight you need to demand or answered and it can't be tolerated that departments, when asked to comment on issues like these just refuse. Yesterday Home Affairs were silent, the Minister Tony Burke, well he went to ground the Prime Minister too, and today Defat's gone missing. Now Foreign Affairs is literally hundreds of staff in its media team, Petty, while quite a few staff in her press.
Speaker 3: Team as well.
Speaker 2: And what no one, No one can tell us anything about this bloke. No one's willing to give the Australian vote the truth really.
Speaker 3: Answers.
Speaker 2: And I want alb and Easy pursued on this as well, because there may be a way right now to strip doctor g Hard of Australian citizenship and not even need to use an exclusion order. Now, if I remember rightly, you didn't have to take up the citizenship of another country to lose your Australian citizenship.
Speaker 3: You just had to have the ability to do it.
Speaker 2: Now, presumably in the case of the Dutch mother, at least he could avail himself of Dutch citizenship. Can we, under the current laws cancel his ability to return to Australia knowing that because of his mother, potentially his father, he will not be rendered stateless.
Speaker 1: Look, I think that's a real possibility.
Speaker 5: Better.
Speaker 1: I know the High Court has looked very carefully at removing citizenship as a punitive measure. But if there is an alternative place, alternative nation state where they can go, I think it might be looked on favorably.
Speaker 2: Okay this too, How is it the Labour's Attorney General, Michelle Roland, could sign off warrant to arrest war hero Ben Robert Smith within hours and yet it took weeks weeks in relation to the ISIS connected women now charged with terrorism offenses and slavery.
Speaker 6: Just in terms of the consent to prosecute, how long did it take the Attorney General to side off on the ISIS bride's consent to prosecute?
Speaker 7: The CDPP wrote to the Department seeking the attorney's consent on the twentieth of November twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: Five, twentieth of November twenty twenty five, and the consent was provided on the fifteenth of December, so approximately just over three weeks compared to the one day with Ben Robert Smith. Okay, there you go.
Speaker 2: I mean, how can we as a country have spent three hundred million dollars investigating our our own soldiers who put their lives on the line to fight the terror's Taliban forty one of them who never came home alive, and be so weak here on these men and women who willingly left Australia to join Islamic state.
Speaker 1: How I just wish that they would put the same vigor and resources into stopping ISIS fighters returning to our country as they have in prosecuting some of our ex.
Speaker 3: Veterans one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I know you've got strong views of this as well. Enough is enough, As I said, the journal who broke this story will join me at the desk a little later on. Let's go to cambernow for the headlines. Skyny's political reporter Tunny Macintosh.
Speaker 8: Parliament has cleared out as the Labor Faithful gather in Adelaide for the party's national conference. After an early stumble on the escalator. The Prime Minister revealed plans to revive a new court to resolve workplace disputes.
Speaker 4: Good for workers, good for business, good for the country.
Speaker 8: He also took a swipe at one nation.
Speaker 4: All those trips around the world to talk Australa down, that none of them have anything new or anything positive to offer our.
Speaker 8: Country, seeking to steal the spotlight. The opposition leader was just down the road visiting Adelaide's central market.
Speaker 3: And I'm out and about talking to small business people.
Speaker 7: And the Labor Party is talking to itself.
Speaker 8: After an eventful week for One Nation, I think the party is now trying to capitalize selling Barnaby inspired dog leashes. The Foreign Minister skipped the start of proceedings. She's still in the Philippines for Asian talks. Condemning China's recent missile test. Pennywong also warned of the consequences if Iran or the US imposed a toll on the Strait of Hormuz.
Speaker 9: People suffer when astray is webized, and we all know that the cost of tolls on any tote point is not only solely economic.
Speaker 8: Back in Adelaide, Labour's National Secretary Paul Erickson had to reject China's demand to eject Taiwanese officials from attending. Trudy Macintosh Sky News Canbra.
Speaker 2: All right, as you heard, they're all eyes on the ALP national conference kicking off in Adelaide today. It will run, of course until Saturday. Joining me now, one of our men on the ground in Adelaide, Cam Reddin, Well, Cam. We saw those comments in the papers this morning from Wayne Swann warning that one Nation is Labour's biggest threat. That was clearly the focus too of the Prime Minister today. Now I found that quite extraordinary. He's playing to the hometown crowd, three hundred thousand, three thousand so delegates, Labor delegates, Union delegates in the room, and yet his focus is on one nation.
Speaker 9: Who would have ever thought we'd be in the situation three years ago, Peter let alone, twelve months ago, where all of the Labor faithful in the country have descended on Adelaide and all anybody's talking about is Pauline Hanson and one Nation. For so much of that address, the keynote address that the Prime Minister gave, and yes there were a couple of policy announcements in there, as well, nothing to knock it off the front page, but the focus on one nation he has seemed so deliberate, and Peter, many of us in this space have been wondering for a few months now just how real that one nation surge is. We all see the polls and we all hear the concerns about well, maybe it's just a bump in the road, maybe it's a temporary thing. They'll all fall apart. Well they haven't fallen apart yet, and clearly it's real enough for the Prime Minister to make it such a significant part of his speech and go in the attack for one Nation. I don't think a few months ago, Peter, any of us would have expected this sort of attention to be given to Pauline Hanson. But that's where we found ourselves today.
Speaker 10: It was such a.
Speaker 9: Focal point on what is supposed to be something that's all about the Labor Party.
Speaker 2: I'm going to speak to the journalist from the Australian who broke the story. Worry about doctor g Hard But we've got Tony Burke, Penny Wong, their department, the Prime Minister, his department, all hiding from scrutiny, and obviously the revelations today that Labor knew about this, They knew about this four years ago. He's, you know, like a rabbit in the headlights there. He can't run away from the conference.
Speaker 3: I hope you will.
Speaker 2: Andrew Clenell get to him and Burke and Wong over the weekend.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we've all brought our runners, so that have to run pretty fast for that.
Speaker 3: Peter.
Speaker 9: We're doing our best. I know if the PM is around, I'll do my best, but I know Andrew will get him if he can.
Speaker 2: You are a good man, Cam, I know you will, so we will stay across that for next week. Of course, joining me out for my panel. Skyne is contributed to CAROLEI Kats and Barnas and Shadow Defense Industry and Personnel Minister, a former veteran of course, Phil Thompson. Welcome to you both. I'll stay with the conference if I can. Phil overnight Worth, noting Linda Bernie told The Australian and I quote she said, I think it was a devastating outcome. This is a relation to the voice, but it gives us a base to work from. She said, now come on, that must mean that they're going to come back with another hit. To divide Australians by their skin color.
Speaker 10: I think that Linda Bernie and her comments are out of touch with what the Australian people voted on and what they wanted, and to say that we should be looking going down this path again. A I think it's a waste of tax payer money. But I also think that there are more important things that this Labor government should be focused on. You know, I've got an email just today in my elected office where a single mom was talking about at the end of the month, it's either going to be food on the table or school supplies. That people are doing it tough, and you know the virtual signaling and the culture wars that this Labor government are going through. Now, I think she's just out of step. Look at the comments around the Union movement and the Labor Party, and the lack of conviction from Minister Claire O'Neil around the want to change the Australian flag. I think this is ridiculous and they should be focused on what matters to all Australians, not just what matters to some small segment in the Labor caucus.
Speaker 2: I'll come to Caroline in a moment, but I've got to ask you. I've gone through the top of the show the detail about doctor g Hard and I know forty one veterans and never came home from Afghanistan, killed at the hand of the Taliban. We know that this doctor g Hart who's imprisoned in Iraq has known his existence, has been known to the government. Now four or four years. Everybody's gone to ground. No one's answering any questions. It's my hypothesis that the women came back and that was planned. That was the soft touch, and there was always this gender to get and get the men back.
Speaker 3: And this is the start.
Speaker 2: We'll start with the quote humanitarian doctor and away we go. What's your reaction to what we've learned over the last two days.
Speaker 10: He should not be allowed back to Australia. There are temper exclusion orders that are there. They were brought in place by the Coalition in twenty nineteen where someone can be refused entry. Australian citizen can be refused entry for two years, then reviewed for another two years, then reviewed again and again and again. I want to see that as the bare minimum.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting, Carole.
Speaker 2: Last night David Craig said there's already an arsenal of law at the government's disposal. They actually don't need new law, but if they do, feel saying, he and the Coalition would stand ready to assist. Alexander Downer made clear on Chris Kenny's show an hour ago that as Foreign Minister he regularly canceled passports. He did it with a lot of severity. Sure, but it can be done. It should be done, he said, that's what should happen here. Our labor's not serious. Labor want them to come home. Clearly, well they do.
Speaker 5: I mean you have to wonder which side is the Australian government actually on. I mean it's also horrific because at the moment Australia's borders seem to be being dictated by activists at the ALP conference. I mean, there's a thing that they want to allow illegal illegal arrivals if they're held in attention for more than ninety days to be let free. These are illegal arrivals. There are seventy thousand overstayers currently in Australia. And it also remind the viewers as well that the Administrative Appeals Tribunal was disbanded in a vanity project by the former Attorney General Mark Dreyfers to be the Administrative Review Tribunal. There are now one hundred and twenty seven thousand active cases. The backlog is sixty one week's minimum. And can I just say it was a political hit job done by Drefers an alban easy removing some very competent tribunal members. And what a mess is Australia is in because this is a green light to people smugglers and it is undoing all the great work of the Abbott government and the Howard and Costello year's era as well.
Speaker 8: And this is not good.
Speaker 5: This is putting the lives and the safety of Australians at risk. This is dreadful. And the worry is we know that these so called wacky proposals at the ALP conference they'll be in a bottom drawer and years down the track they'll be brought up. We've seen what happened ten years ago. They've brought Bill Shorten's thing forward and it's dangerous and it just shouldn't happen.
Speaker 2: Let's leave that there, Caroly, I've got to get a comment from you. A lot of demonization about who Paul Enhansen meets with everything she does is disclosed unlike others.
Speaker 3: There was a lavish.
Speaker 2: Dinner this week reported in the newspapers, the Prime Minister sitting down with the very rich sign of a Chinese developer. This is in Point Piper and Dan Andrews and a whole lot of others are there and the talk is it was a million dollar donation that got them to turn up.
Speaker 3: Well, listen to this.
Speaker 2: Tony Burke can't answer questions about doctor g Hart.
Speaker 3: He's gone to ground.
Speaker 2: But if you've got one thousand dollars in your pocket, you can get over to Adelaide and see him front a band made up of him and others in the Labor Caucus. He's charging one thousand dollars for this pub gig on the sidelines of the conference.
Speaker 3: But you are kidding me.
Speaker 5: Well, I can tell you it's one thousand dollars for a taller swift ticket. But it is interesting.
Speaker 3: His band is known as.
Speaker 5: Left Right Out. And what I will say is Australians are being left right out of all the decisions that should be being made in their interest. Older Australians. They're left right out of aged care, people are left right out of the NDAs. We're left right out of energy.
Speaker 3: We're left right out of jobs, and it's.
Speaker 5: Absolutely disgusting that they can even think of doing it. We were also left right out when Tony Burke went to welcome the Palestinian refugees from Gaza. Secretly we didn't know anything about that unless the.
Speaker 11: Media exposed it.
Speaker 5: It's absolutely disgusting and he should hang his head in shape.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 2: I leave it there, Thank you to both phil Again, please give your veterroom mates all our very best with thinking of them and as I said, keep up the fight. We'll leave it there, but just before we go, welcome back to my friends in Bendigo. Of course that is just into Allen's seat, the seat of Bendigo East hotly contested. Coming up to Novemba. You've not been able to see us, have you, because of that fire earlier in the year and damage to transmission towers. Please to say, everything back on track, so if you're watching us, make sure your neighbors and everybody else in town know that they can watch us free to air on digital television now right across Victoria, but in particular that area which means a lot to Victorians come November. All right, let's leave that there Barnaby's dog. I want to just mention this one before the break to all that outrage. Do you know the ABC is out there now questioning whether there was even a dog in the first place, as some sort of conspiracy.
Speaker 3: Have a listen.
Speaker 13: People want to know Hamish whether there really was a dog in that interview. I think, look, I think I heard a dog, and I think on the recording you can hear this very important. I hope people are paying attention. This is the masses of state hang on this. I think there really was a dog, but I liked the idea that maybe there wasn't.
Speaker 3: I mean, give me a break, Give me a break.
Speaker 2: Barnaby's wife, VICKI, well, she's got out there today. She's put a bit of proof of life of the beautiful dog Stella out there on social media. All right, after the break, we'll get into the whole story of doctor g Hard from the dogged reporter who has really exposed labor on this and talk they just to Alan will be dumped.
Speaker 3: Next week.
Speaker 2: I'll give you an update after the break. Welcome back, coming up. Fresh speculation to Alan, of course, has it won an election? She was installed as Premier Dan Andrews. Well, the talk is that you won't even get to the November election. She'll get rolled when Parliament returns next week, will she. We'll get to that in a moment. First, I'm going to return to the bombshell revelations that Tarak Kamla, doctor g Hard is confirmed as alive and behind bars in an Iraqi prison. Now, as I said last night, I didn't believe that Labor was in the dark on any of this below and behold news broke last night in The Australian that in fact Defat had been briefed about his survival first back in twenty twenty two and again this year.
Speaker 3: Joining me now, one of the reporters, Paul gave, I.
Speaker 2: Know who's assisted as well, but the bloke he broke it first, the Australians, Muhammad al Fararez. Well, I think it's the story of the year so far, and it keeps coming back. You know, more revelations today. I know your colleague in Perth has spoken to his family. Walk me through what the government.
Speaker 3: You and when.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much for having me on your show tonight. So the government knows everything in my opinion, and what the Iraqi government told us the Australian is that the embassy in Baghdad is following his case and not just his case, the case of every Australian national in Iraq. So what that tells us is that the Embassy in Baghdad operates for the Australian government and what they also our sources have said that Defact was briefed on this back in twenty twenty two, and in twenty nineteen, obviously, as we reported, Kamla was captured. So they've also been briefed again in the past year. And this has come from you as officials who have been tracking Tarek Kamdler because he was married to an American woman.
Speaker 2: And let I'll just catch people up at home if they didn't listen last night. The speculation is that he's had four wives, perhaps even more, that there's a number of children, and I guess that's why we've got the American loop open there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: He's understood to have been married to four women, had a number of children. What happened to those children, no one really knows, but there are speculations that one of them was repatriated to France and the other two the United States. But those are unconfirmed reports at their stage.
Speaker 2: My experience of government, if you and your sources are saying that bag dads across it, If bag dads across it, they're not a line outfit. Camera will be across it. And if defacts across anything in Canberra or Penny Wong's office is also across it. And once the Foreign Minister is briefed, there's no doubt in my mind that this has been discussed in the NSC committee. Your sources, we know that there's another twelve individuals in this cohort that the iraqis and they have been far more forthcoming with information than Australia has. All up, there's about thirteen individuals, all men. Are they all behind bars?
Speaker 3: What do we know?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so they're all men. They're behind bars in Iraq, understood to be in Baghdad. And you know, like the Iraqi government in conjunction with the US right now are going through a filtering process where they look at combatants versus non combatants. And some of these non combatants have been freed already now o case.
Speaker 3: But when you say freed freed into.
Speaker 7: Freed from prison.
Speaker 2: Into Iraq or free to be extradited from Iraq.
Speaker 7: Free to be extradited from Iraq back to their home nation. Yeah, okay, so that's already taken place. But in the case of Tarek, whether he's going to be released in due time, we'll have to see. But the fact is that he's claiming to be a non combatant right now, even though you know it's been well reported that he's a medic doctor g had So how that plays out in the rocky judicial system will be very interesting to see. And you know, wage up what the punishment is going to be, whether it's ten years, whether it's a year. And there's always the chance that you know, he gets released, goes to the embassy, gets a passport, helps on the first plane back to Australia, where he would most definitely be arrested. But it's still a possibility.
Speaker 2: I know you said to me off camera that that his family is shadowed by all of this. Yeah, shamed and everything that would all hope and expect any Australia family would be.
Speaker 3: Has he been in contact with them? Do we know?
Speaker 7: We don't know if he's been in contact with the family. My colleague Paul Garvey had the opportunity to sit down with the father yesterday and he spoke about the hurt, the devastation that they went through because they raised the doctor and they were very proud of him. So for him to betray them and travel into the Caliphate with a blood thirsty, you know, terrorist organization was devastating for them and they're still very much suffering till this day because of that decision.
Speaker 2: I spoke to my colleagues through at the AOP conference and they're going to pursue the Prime Minister and Penny Wong and Tony Burke. I know you've tried really hard. They've all gone to ground, so have their departments, which I find extraordinary.
Speaker 3: But I hope you keep it up. This has been an extraordinary exclusive for you.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thanks Maham. Tell what we're not going to let this rest.
Speaker 2: That's gone out of that speculation in Victoria that a whole lot of labor and peas are plotting to remove to center Allen that she won't even get to the election in November. The talk I've heard through people in Adelaide directly to me this afternoon is that powerbrokers the meeting in the margins of Labour's conference and that she's unlikely to survive next week when State Parliament returns. Part of the issue is and they haven't really agreed who will replace her. Victorian and political editor at The Australian, Anthony Galloway, though he might know, he joins me, Now you've reported today effectively, Anthony, that there was a rebellion at the recent caucus retreat because the Premier and the senior members of her team just refused to acknowledge just how much on the nose she is with voters.
Speaker 3: What more can you tell us?
Speaker 14: Yeah, it was this caucus retreat in Ballarat. I'm told the weather was freezing, but it was also frosty in terms of the relations between everyone. And that's really because going into Ballarat, a lot of Allan's critics within the caucus they didn't want to stump speech from the Premier and her team. They wanted an acknowledgment of where they sit politically, where the public polls show them heading potentially towards the defeat despite having a sixteen seat majority at the November state election, and they wanted her to be a lot more open in conceding that issues such as the CFME you corruption scandal have really dogged the government. Policeman Stay Anthony Carbines kind of launched an extraordinary tirade really at one of these meetings on Tuesday morning, where he said we need to start talking about matters of integrity and transparency and said the government hasn't adequately responded to this scandal he corruption on taxpayer funded big build sites. Alan's speech was just a stump speech. As I said, he really told colleagues that she doesn't get it. Her chief of staff gave a long speech to everyone which basically said that everything's tracking and all of the public announcements are tracking like they were heading into the twenty twenty two election. That told labor MPs that geez, he doesn't get it. In twenty twenty two, there wasn't a single poll that told us we were losing. The polls now have them on a primary of six percent and suggests they are facing potential defeat. So they wanted something different. They didn't get it, and they are looking talking, speculating about pursuing a challenge next week. It's really their last opportunity.
Speaker 2: Earlier, when there was talk she was going to get roll, people said no, no, no, if it's going to happen. It'll happen in July, and it'll happen after the national conference.
Speaker 3: Are they still talking?
Speaker 2: Ben Allen as Ben Ben Carroll? I've got football on my brain, Ben Carroll. Is that the likely successor if it happens next week?
Speaker 14: Yeah, Carol's the only candidate. There's no real candidate from the left. This senior cabinet minister Gabrielle Williams would be the only kind of viable candidate from the left, but she's ruled herself out. The members of the left who have been pursuing a challenge or wanted change, you know, their immediate view after Carol kind of squibbed it a little over a month ago where he promised to Cinterra Allen, he looked her in the eye and said he wouldn't challenge. You know, they temporarily went off Carol. They kind of thought, oh, he doesn't have what you know, he doesn't have what it takes, he doesn't want it enough. But you know, they're probably back on him just because there is no other Canada that they want him to change.
Speaker 2: Let me just jump in there, let me just jump in there. He can still take the top job and be consistent with what he said if she falls on her sword. So if the colleagues come and knock on a door and say you've got to go, you've lost your numbers, you're going to get rolled. It'll be humiliating. We need you to resign, then he can keep faith with that. And I presume you'll tell me this now, Anthony.
Speaker 3: I presume then.
Speaker 2: You avoid that circus of having to canvas votes for about four weeks. Isn't it between the caucus and Party faithful to elect a new leader.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, that's totally right. That's why there's this talk of a cross factional delegation from senior members of the left and right to kind of go to just InterRail and early next week and tell her it's all over. That's what Carol wants. He wants to avoid all of that bloodbleedding.
Speaker 2: I think he has two otherwise, rolling the female who hasn't even faced the electrode and given night, I think the electroc is angry. They want to punish her themselves. I think that's a problem that Labor wants to avoid. Anthony, Thank you all right? Coming up, the billion dollar blowout, multi billion dollar blow out of the battery scheme, and most of those billions are being sent offshore to foreign manufacturers. That's next.
Speaker 3: Welcoback coming up.
Speaker 2: China calls on Labor to be a Taiwanese delegate from its Adelaide conference. I mean, who's running the country is at camera or Beijing. But First reports today that Labour's home battery subsidy schemes blown out from two point three billion this is over a four year budget period, to an estimated eight point five billion, and the average subsidy per battery has sowed some seventy five percent. Just to make you even even crankier tonight, I'm sorry for this. Just three of the one hundred and thirty six approved battery manufacturers, just three are Australian. Here to discuss it, the head of Energy the Center for Independent Studies, Ad Morrison, Well, Oka, do you tell me this? I watched question time A look at Chris Bow when he gets up in the chamber and he bangs on about how successful this program has been. Not once, as he said, the budget's blown out by almost three hundred percent, Not once, And he doesn't say anything about most of his money being sent to foreign manufacturers.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's exactly right. He's absolutely proud of how much money he's splashing around here. But there's a little bit of a correction I'd like to make to this story. It's been said that this price has gone from two point three billion dollars to seven or eight billion dollars. That's not actually correct the blowout. If you read through the Manifo papers, the projection was to go to fourteen billion dollars. The seven or eight billion dollar figure is half of that had paired it back, right, So they had a program that was expected to do two point three billion dollars, it blew out to fourteen, and they paired it back in a green they would spend seven or eight, okay, and now it's p to eight, so it's blowing out even more beyond that level. So this is an absolutely insane amount of money, and it's quite transparently clear now exactly how they did that, because they priced their subsidy that was meant to be about thirty percent of a battery on the most expensive premium battery they could find in the market, and they gave that same dollar figure to everyone. That upsides to very big batteries and very cheap manufacturers from China, which often paid over sixty or seventy percent of the value of the battery. And in fact, you could wind in a whole solar system as well and still get more than half of a giant solar and battery system covered by the government. So that's why there was an absolute stampede, and the lobbyists from the Smart Energy Council that put it together would have known exactly what they were doing. And this has been the most absolutely profitable piece of lobbying for the Chinese dominated battery industry that I think must have happened anywhere and around the world globally.
Speaker 2: And we're talking when we get into all of this stuff anyway. You know, Chinese dominate the solar panel market, the Chinese dominate the wind turbine market. And the problem I have with the spend in this area, it's not like a road which will last as decades. This stuff has to be replaced. We get what fourteen years out of a wind turbine engine. We get maybe twenty twenty five out of solar panels. Fut of it takes probably less if they're on the roof at home. And how long do we get out of these batteries. We're not buying batteries forever. How long do they last? On average?
Speaker 12: Something like ten to fifteen years is probably what you might get from a battery at the moment. That's the sort of level that you have for warranties at the moment, ten maybe twelve. The very big commercial ones a little bit longer than that, So that's not that long compared to most other energy infrastructure types like coal five power plants, they're sort of planned to go for forty if you maintain them well, or the refurbishments can go a lot longer than that as well. So this is pretty short to infrastructure, and so we haven't yet experienced the rush of how to recycle or dispose of these things. And that's what gets me really angry, because I have folks in the economics, because the experience of how to dispose of this has not really been experienced, they just often assume that it costs nothing at the end of life cycle, and the total system life costs of these are much lower than they really are because we haven't got to the end of life of the scale of batteries and solar that we've really had, so could be an environmental disaster and certainly economic disaster as well.
Speaker 2: Not wrong, got to leave it there. It's a bit shorter than I wanted tonight, but thank you very much. We will stay on that one as well. My list, my to do list is getting longer and longer every night. All right, after the break, more on that extraordinary pressure applied today from China to Labor to the Labor Party about kicking out a Taiwanese attendee at the national conference.
Speaker 3: And did you know this Li isn't to this.
Speaker 2: Penny Wong, Well she's back bankrolling Gaza. After the break. Look, we'll come back to the International Panel in a moment. Welcome back, of course. I've got some breaking news for you. There has been a letter written by Pauline Hansen two opposition leader Angus Taylor. This is in relation to doctor g Hard and the thirteen men we know that are in prison in Iraq wanting we are told to return to Australia. It's probably more of them elsewhere, but this is what we know of in terms of Iraq, and she has asked for a meeting.
Speaker 3: With Angus Taylor. She says there is.
Speaker 2: A commitment, an offer from one nation to support legislation to keep these ISIS linked individuals out of Australia. She says one nation will vote with the Coalition and any piece of legislation that strengthens Australia's counter terrorism laws. She also makes it very very clear that they will work together with the Coalition to draft the legislation. So that's just now gone from Pauline Hansen to Angus Taylors. Enough, I'd be taking out quick smart Okay, let's get into it our international pad on our Sky News contributed Kosher Gada, formerly Abor MP Michael Danby, welcome to you both. A lot to talk about and a lot of it's got internal labor ramifications, Michael, and there's no one better than you to take us through them and ramifications for Australia. You're watching as a stalwart of labor this conference and adelaide I suspect with horror, not just about Israel, but a whole manner of positions now that have been thrown out by your ole party. Where they are now, I think no better than the Greens on so many aspects, particularly foreign policy, and even this weakness they have with China.
Speaker 15: There's so many concessions being made in order to get the left to a cree to put the Orchest deal through. So that would be so embarrassing for Elbow and Wong not to be able to continue to support that.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what it's about.
Speaker 15: That even poor al Josh Burns being used as a human shield by Penny Wong. It's all part of a strategy to keep the left on board. They've got the numbers. The Labor Party is transformed, as I've been saying on this station for years, from a mainstream center left party to a policy party of the socialist left. Not quite as bad as the DSA in the United States, but nearly there.
Speaker 2: And what do you make of the revelations that we are back as taxpayers funding GATA, which let's call it as it is. I mean gas is still really in control of Harmas And even if they change their name, it will be the same sort of individuals with the same sort of ideology.
Speaker 11: I think there's layers to the story, all of which are infuriating. So the first is just government spending. There's no respect for taxpayer dollars. That's why you've got a trillion dollars in doubt is going in one direction then you layer on top of that the Nruan and Hamas connection, so they're either susceptible to lobbying for that, they're potentially to bill to what the beast wants because it's a rapper, sort of safe rapper. You can hide behind the un but you're actually pandering to that portion of the beast that is much more favorable to that side, and it's sort of seen as a cheap political when with no counterbalance for care for tax dollars, which I don't see changing anytime soon, and sadly.
Speaker 15: Always they believe in it themselves, which is part of the story too.
Speaker 2: What did you make of the Chinese government or official that I'm certainly trying to punt a Taiwanese attendee from the conference.
Speaker 15: Well, the Taiwanese were marginalized as a general observer. I'm glad they stopped the Chinese embassy from chucking them out. They used to regularly come round to my office and stand at the door and demand that I not meet Tibetans or the Fallon Gong. Once I only went to a Fellon Gong meeting because they demanded that I not do it. People are counter suggestible in a democratic society. But the real context is Dan Andrews and the pro China. I'll be meeting it on the road to Mandalay, the big mansion in in Sydney for a huge donation from that part of the political spectrum. And the fact that we have only two zero point one percent of Australian GDP being spent on defense. If we really want to send the Chinese a lesson about the missile tests over the Pacific, increase the percentage in real terms to three percent, Like all the NATO countries are being forced to.
Speaker 2: Wong's remonstrations of China. How much is that real and how much is that the show?
Speaker 3: Peter.
Speaker 15: She's going all over the Pacific. She's seeing that these people are serious. She's probably being brief by dfact that this is all real and all of her ideology and the branch and the parliamentarians who've got no interest in these kinds of things are not aware of all of the kinds of things that she's see. That ballistic missile test right across the Pacific should scare the hell of anyone. And I think she's being forced by reality to say stronger things about China.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Iran. I'll tell my viewers. I flew home through Dubai, threw home through the Middle East, got felt safe, felt absolutely safe. I trust the imorats. The player would not have taken off and we would not have been able to land if it wasn't safe. What's the latest there, what's the reed of this? I know we've got big terms knocking on the door, but the US, a lot of the avenues now appear to be closing, and.
Speaker 11: The off ramp just gets narrower and narrower. But in the last week or two it does look like present Trump, despite all the opposition at home and the risks of the midterms, is if not doubling down, I would say one point fiving down on the military aspect of it. Still definitely not wanting to do boots on the ground because he knows that is political anathema, but everything else to shore up the military angle. And on some level it's a war of attrition. It's a waiting game where Iran is aware of the domestic political pressures and it's trying to run the clock out. Trump's calculation must be that if we continue to do some meet them militarily enough you'll reach that tipping point where they'll give up or given And that seems to be a Hegh Stakes maneuver.
Speaker 3: But that's where we are. Michael Gilda, no boots on the ground.
Speaker 15: But the worst thing for him would be to lose, to run away from there with his tail between his legs. Oil price is going up and the Uranians in control of Straits of Humors. So Kosh is right. The bridge off ramp is narrowing. But his only choice is to keep the pressure on the Uranians and the economic blockade. That very brilliant Treasury secretary that Trump Scott is I think the key way of forcing the Uranians into some kind of reality.
Speaker 2: I'm just about out of time, but give me your take on the Saudi deal won't work.
Speaker 15: Where goes Saudi Arabia goes the UA. In all of these other countries, nuclear proliferation is the worry, and it's got to get to Congress and be approved. It'll be years before it happens. The Saudis are not the worst element in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: All right, all over there, thank you, that's it. Great to be back. I've had a great week. I hope you've enjoyed having me back at the desk. I will see you Monday. I'll give you a big wrap of the ALP conference and more Up next to Andrew