Speaker 1: Oh hello, welcome to Healthy She. You're a daily podcast from Body and Soul. I am your host, Felicity Haley h get ready to feel and be inspired after this chat. I'm joined today by Lisa ran now Now she is obsessed with inspiring humans. The author, podcast and motivational speaker, joins us today to discuss mental energy and the mindset and beliefs that can lead to a more inspired you. She has a new book out it is called Energy, and she brings a lot of energy into this podcast today. If you like what you hear from Lisa, listening to extra healthy Ish, where we take a deep dive into all things energy, physical, spiritual, and emotional, you can catch that wherever we get your podcasts. Lisa, welcome to Healthy Ish.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me so lovely.
Speaker 1: That you're in here, and especially I have to say listeners. She is wearing beautiful bright colors of yellow. Immediately makes well makes me feel energetic.
Speaker 2: I love yellow. When we yellow, I feel like I'm the sun. Like someone needs to be the sun to date's me absolutely.
Speaker 1: Now talk to us about mental energy. I love this concept.
Speaker 2: What does it feel like?
Speaker 1: What is mental energy?
Speaker 2: So mental energy has a lot to do with how we think and our beliefs, and it comes from like our intentions. And I think inspiration is one of the biggest keys in mental energy. So who inspires you? What are you inspired by? What are you doing that lights you up?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: All of those things, And we don't think about our head diets. We think about our physical diets more and more. But it's like, what are you putting in your head? Who are you watching? What's your social media feed? Like, what are you you know? Who are you inspired by? What music are you listening to? What books are you reading? So all of those things go into your head diet and they change how you feel and how you think. And I think if you you know, and all that attitude stuff like if you if you think the world's horrible, you're right, the world's horrible. If you think the world's lovely, you're right, the world's lovely.
Speaker 1: Isn't it just when you were saying, you know, people who inspire you an inspiration, it's just such a lovely feeling, feeling inspired, And often we can get so caught up in the minutia of life and the overwhelm and the mental less and everything else that we might see, well, I'm probably speaking about me here that I think, Wow, when was I who? Like, when did I last feel that shot of inspiration?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And I think I'm always seeking inspiration. I read a lot of poetry. I love going to the movies, you know, I love watching documentaries about real life people doing amazing things. Blows my mind. So it's like, and I constantly seek that because I have this hunger for inspiration. I love watching You're just interesting people and interesting and there's so much out there. But it's really hard to find an everyday life because you're just getting up, putting your pants on the shopping It's you know, it's not easy, and you've got to really look a look for it. You've got to seek it out.
Speaker 1: I'm putting it on spot here. But have you watched any lately? Have you there any inspirational people that you've come across that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, I watched Phil Starts as documentary called Starts on Documentary on a surrow Netflix, and he's extraordinary, Like he's living with Parkinson's, he works with famous people, he's so grounded. He's created these amazing tools to help people be better. And it's like he's so inspirational and living with Parkinson's is so huge. You watch them in the documentary and he blows my mind that he's doing that work under really difficult physical conditions of his own body.
Speaker 1: I love I love interviewing and also watching sportswomen. I find them incredibly inspiring, just their determination and great and the way they have a goal and they just will reach it and get there. And so I'm very looking I'm looking forward to the Olympics coming up. Talk to us about the mind diet. How does this all work?
Speaker 2: Well? I think having been conscious of what you're putting in your head, like what's going on? Everything you put into your head has an impact. So it's like, are you putting something and are you watching things that are really sad? Are you? You know? I don't watch the news. I'm not. My brain is just not trained for that stuff, and I don't want to know what's happening out there. I'm quite happy in my little bubble. And I think you've got to choose. And if you've got what I call a soft head where things really impact you, then you should be very careful of what you watch and even your social media feed, like you know a lot of people say, oh, I hate social media, and I'm like, I love social media because my social media is curated by me and it's full of gorgeous things, and it's full of happy things and lovely things, and anyone who's negative or does awful things, I'm like, no, no, off, you go unfollow immediately. I'm very discerning with my social media.
Speaker 1: So what does it look like? What does your feed look like?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's just beautiful things. Like I love Instagram because to me, it's just my own magazine where I get to, you know, have all these beautiful things. I love TikTok because it's hilarious and there's so much fun out there and kind of short shart bursts of hilarity, which I just find really fun. Yeah, I really enjoy it, but I think you've got to be in charge of it. And people say, oh, you know, they compare themselves. I'm like, if you're playing the game with I'm not as good as her, I'm not as it's just get rid of that person. If that person's doing your headden literally, just get rid of them.
Speaker 1: Follow all the just follow all the European accounts from Switzerland. I started doing that.
Speaker 2: De Max my new papers. You're beautiful, den marks the same Danish things. There's something about Danish things. I'm like, oh wow, like I've never been there, but yeah, you're right. And it's like when you follow beautiful things, you get more beautiful things. You follow negative things, you'll get more negative things. And people winging and you know, whatever you're whatever that you're watching, you'll get more of. And I think life's actually the same. Life has an algorithm, and if you're you know, if you're committed to your problems, you'll see them everywhere.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like that view of life having an algorithm. How can we become addicted to our problems? You write about this, I mean it's a slippery slope.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think Russell Brand one of the first people I read about that. It says this that the biggest addiction in the world has problems. And I think most people just quiet there. We all just want some attention. A lot of us didn't give enough attention as a child, So everyone's looking for attention and so they whinging, wanting to all especially women. Most women just want someone to go you're amazing, and you go, oh wow, thanks, because you know I'm busting my ass here like I'm doing everything and when was the last time someone said to you, Wow, you're amazing? And I don't think we hear it enough.
Speaker 1: And so love that little tip.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're amazing.
Speaker 1: Is the should go and text someone we know that's.
Speaker 2: Just go you're amazing, tell them that they're amazing. I had to train my husband to say to me, you're amazing, and I'm like, how did you do that? That's fantastic. It's called fate listening. So I had to train him because I have so many words and he doesn't have a lot of words. And I said, when I come home at the end of the day, I'd like you to just listen, and there's no test afterwards. I don't even care if you're not really listening. Just stand there and facilitate my words. So I need you to go ah m ah every time I speak for a few sentences, and then I want you to go they must have been really hard, because often hard stuff happens every day, and I go, yeah, it was, thanks for noticing. And then at the end, I want you to go, you're amazing, and I go thanks, and it works. And my eldest son hurt us one day and he was like, Mum, he's not even listening to you. And I'm like, I don't care. I don't actually need him to listen. I just need to be facilitated and I need to feel understood. And I think we wing and look for drama because we're desperate for someone to go You're amazing.
Speaker 1: We just I mean, at the core of being human, we just want to.
Speaker 2: We all want attention. We want to know we matter. We want to know we matter, and we want attention and we will unconsciously do anything to get that attention.
Speaker 1: At home, dump as I call it with my house one hundred, like when you get home, you're dump and then you pease.
Speaker 2: Your dump and I'm like, just for train the dump, Like this is what I need, so I feel.
Speaker 1: So give us a few little tips about how we can boost down mental energy today.
Speaker 2: So I think your mental energy first of all, just give yourself a rest. When's any time you're silent? I think we stuff so much into our days. So now you know, people go for a walk, and you know podcasts obviously a fantastic but do you need to listen all the time? Like have you got are you always got something in your head. Do you ever have a moment where it's completely silent and you're just noticing the things around you? You know, we walk down the street taking phone calls, we drive on the phone, we're listening to podcasts, we're watching shows everywhere we go because now everything's on our phones. And I think having some space just to go, oh, I find the shower is the only time where life is quiet and I'm alone, and it's like giving yourself some kind of alone time just to go, wow, how am I going? Am I okay? How's my body?
Speaker 1: Whatsore?
Speaker 2: What needs help?
Speaker 1: What? You know?
Speaker 2: How's my head? Do I feel really bamboozled today? So I think giving ourselves space is incredibly important. And find time to be delighted, just to eat something in silence and go I had this amazing meal last night and I had this beautiful beef to tacky and it was just like oh oh, And I was sitting with the freedom I see, can we just not talk for a moment? Can we just like oh? It was like wow, like you know, the sensations and we're just yabbering and we go so fast and we're stuffing everything into our mouths our ears, our lives. It's like, just slow down.
Speaker 1: I love those two tips, you know why, because they're not it's slowing down to boost energy. It's not doing something to boost energy. It's actually the reverse, the yin to the yang.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I do a lot of restorative yoga, which there's no bend thing involved. It's just sleeping in a blanket. My children think I'm a yoga expert. No, no, I just sleep in blankets and it's fantastic. And just giving yourself a lie down, letting yourself lie down like for seven minutes, or just sitting with your eyes shut in the car and breathing, or putting your feet in grass, like really small things, but they make I call them pockets of perfect and they make a huge difference, huge difference.
Speaker 1: You sound like you're a little sorted, Lisa. Thank you for coming on Healthy Ish. Oh. Lisa's new book is called Energy. I will leave a link to it in the show notes. If you feel energized after this chat, tell us, rate and review this podcast, share it with a friend someone who needs at a little bit of oomph now that we're in the middle of winter, anything else anywhere to go bodyansoul dot com, dot you we are on social media. Of course, you can grab our print edition, which is out in your local Sunday paper and until tomorrow, Stay Healthy is