Speaker 1: Hamish Blake. Well, straight talk mate, Thanks, Now, this is very straight this joint. You were comfortable that.
Speaker 2: I mean I did really sort of a chuckle there, but that will be it for the That's it now.
Speaker 1: It's just straight talk, nothing lose. I don't think many people really know about your background, Like, you know, where'd you grow up?
Speaker 2: I grew up in Melbourne. I'm a Melbourne boys, sort of southeastern suburbs glen Waverley. Is that a good area it is now but almost perfectly timed by the Blake family too. We got in in nineteen eighty, held on for twenty years. House prices went sideways for twenty years that we got out just before the boot A good time. It's super popular because there's like, you know, good schools and stuff out there. But when I grew up it was I look had a great time. It was a pure kind of like suburban you know, especially like those early years before teens. And then then I moved schools a couple of times, like I ended up going to school still in Melbourne, but like way down like Bayside area we moved to. So but I had a pretty fun childred. I've been thinking about my childhood a lot later because I'm trying to explain to my kids, like just really what boredom is and how it's good for you and how it makes you imagine things and you have to you know, just explaining to them, like we didn't have screen time, not because our parents were like you can't have screen times. Like we physically couldn't have screen time. We didn't have screens. And the one screen in the house we had wasn't showing shit for kids, so like we couldn't have it. We could watch the microwave, we could, like, we just didn't have screens, guys. So just trying to get the kids now, like what did you do? I was like, well, I remember, you know, I speaking to my little boy, who's eleven. I was like number one summer around, you know. I was about your age, Like we just ride bikes all the time, like you just you know, that was the perfect childhood and just get home and be back by dark. I was like there was a building site nearby that must have run into financial problems or whatever because it was just a stalled building site for months. And I was like they had builders sand and like clay there and we're just chuck lumps of clay at each other. I'm like, and that was that was great, that that was how that was our time. We did not need complicated stuff.
Speaker 1: So what does your son say to that? That's very interesting because you know today they're entertained all the time, all the time.
Speaker 2: And I fight against this as well, but you know that's this is the way of the world. But you know, he's eleven now, so I know we haven't hit the the waters starting to get a little bit choppy, but we haven't hit the full rapids of the teenage years yet. That is a big thing for me actually as a dad, is trying to just do things that are just connected to either just nature or just for the fun of adventure, rather than being stuck inside or stuck on a screen.
Speaker 1: Do you do this to make sure that you can try and try to help your kids develop the need to become creative as a result of being bored, you know, go and pick up the clay and perform it through each other. I mean that's creativity.
Speaker 2: That is creativity, and we all have it in us. You know. It's also just that letting creating the conditions for imagination, Like I think play and imagination is a huge It's a huge part of childhood, but I think it's a huge part of life, like it is a big part of what my professional career is. I think kind of trying to hang on to that part of your childhood that's imaginative and playful and just doing things literally just for fun. You know that when you're a kid, doing things just for the fun of it seems like a good enough goal for an activity. And then as we get older, doing things just for the fun of it, well it just seems you know, it's regardless, that's frivolous, that's like, well, there's more important things to do. But I do think doing things just for the fun of it should be is a high is high on the hierarchy of importance, like you should do things just for the fun of it. So yeah, as a as a parent, like I think especially with little kids, and I again i'm kind of really with any experience of what it's like to have a child up to the age of eleven, but just creating the conditions for them to be imaginative, I think sometimes that's all you need. I was really guilty of it too, especially when my little boy was young. Did all the stuff, Like you know, I remember buying him a Lego set that this was before the leg the Lego Show came along. I was gonna say, then I got Lego for free. I don't actually I still have to buy it, but people think I get it for free.
Speaker 1: So you pick a little piece up every now in the store.
Speaker 2: I steal a lot from the show. But yeah, but then when people see me with a set, they're like, oh, God, must be nice, you know, get free Lego, And I go, yeah, I do, and I don't know. I have to buy it from came up like everyone else. But I remember my boy and like he loved Batman and I bought him this like you know, quite complicated Batman twelve year old one for a few like a fifteen year old, and I was like a Batman bill that split into four pieces and I loved it. So I was like, yeah, this is awesome. And he's five, and I'm like, you're a very smart five year old, like we'll sort this out together. And of course it's just like way too much. I don't think he could even do small Lego at that stage you're still kind of on duplo. I remember, like it was a great parenting lesson because I forced it a bit. He really didn't want to do it was getting a bit angsty. I ended up having to like spend boxing day on the twenty seventh of December building it. And then I looked over and he had made out of duplow like ten bricks stuck together and he's zooming it around and he's like, I've made this is the batmobile. And I was like, yeah, of course, that's what you meant to do when you five just put ten things together and it's in your head. It's in your imagination. So I love that about kids in general and my kids, and I think, yeah, I think it's you know, as much as we can, I reckon. That's the antidote to kind of you know, that's the antidote. Screen time is and letting him have the space and the time to just imagine things and draw and just you know, tinker around in nature.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to talk about nature, and I know you talk about natural things, but you know, we all talk about nature and nurture. As a kid, yourself, homish, what do you think you got from your parents in a natural sense?
Speaker 2: Question? My mum was incredibly is incredibly loving and caring, and so I think I think in terms of the nurture and Mum's Mum was a you know, a literature teacher, you know, loved you know, I was like, you know, I was trying to teach a Shakespeare and stuff when we're in year six, which we weren't interesting. But I do look back and I go, Mum, the cultured side of Mum had a real impact too, you know, She's it's that funny thing of like, no six year old really cares about opera, but if it is, if you're being shown these things, it has some kind of an impact on you, particularly later on you've got some you say, mum. Mum had that side. It wasn't really forced down a throat. But when I think back to it, I'm like, yes, somehow I know Vivaldi's Four Seasons and I never learned an instrument or play it, but like it was, you know, that was the kind of stuff mum, you know around So Mum was that the intelligence side. I think Mum was always very very keen for us to to sort of intellectually expand ourselves as much as we could, and but was also extremely loving and kind and Dad in a funny way, in a funny way, this, this is this, this sounds a bit in the inaccurate. I think I got my sense of humor from Dad, but almost because I was trying to get a rise out of him, because he was quite It's not as he's not serious, but he was. He was, you know, focused on what he had to do, like Dad. So Dad worked for most of his life, like he worked with my grandpa farming until until I was kind of like five or six that had farms like on the outskirts of Melbourne, like cattle farms and market garden. And then Dad got out of farming and he was he was doing irrigation, so putting in like big large level like sprinkler systems and you know, basic digging. It was just in the dirt all day, like digging the hall and pipes and stuff. So Dad was like, you know, he's he's driving a you. He's always outside loading the you up with you tools and diggers and pipes out of the shed. And like Dad had big jobs going on, and so you know, and I've always just wanted to make people laugh. I don't know where that comes from, but I've just always thought that. You know, I'm always just in any situation looking for what's the funniest thing that could happen here. So I'm trying to make Dad laugh. He's not in the mood, but I know it's in there somewhere.
Speaker 1: I'm going to find it.
Speaker 2: Basically, just trying to like needle it out of him the whole time. And so then if they did crack him, I was like, yeah, great, this is good. I'm getting to him. And so it's not like he didn't want to have fun, but he was just busy doing other shit, but serious with his work, serious with his work. In terms of the nature nurture. I was saying that somehow it was in my nature to maybe be wanting to you know, like comedy was in my nature. And so it was like Dad it but he was like good resistance training for it.
Speaker 1: But did you get a rise out of me? I mean, like you've got him to react to.
Speaker 2: Laugh, going to react and so and it's that funny thing, like I think it's not unusual for comedians or people in the comedy world to boil it down like we're all trying to get attention. Really, like it is a bit of an attention economy now it is, it is, and but I think comedy has always had that aspect. I think if people got really honest, most you know, anyone is there is like, oh yeah, there's someone in their life they're trying to get the attention of. And it was probably my dad. I mean probably there's still a little part of me that's that little boy trying to get these dat's attention.
Speaker 1: I mean, you guys have been extraordinarily successful over a long period of time, so you know, you success can be measured lots of different ways, but for me, one of the really important ways of measuring success is being able to evolve perhaps or stay relevant in anyway and have different types of shows over a long period of time. And you guys have been extraordinarily good at that. What role does curiosity play because jurisum me is really important? Well, as a businessman, I'm a business funny hundred you're funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I think exactly the same thing though, because you're being led by what interests you and man, I think when you do it with the reverse, that's when trouble starts. Because I think that's very kind of you to say, like we've evolved and adapted. But it would be wrong, I think would be wrong for people to hear that, to be like, oh, we saw a trend coming and we moved to it, because I don't think that ever works, because then you're following what you are assuming to be other people's interests and hoping you match them, and you can't lose you lose connection with your inner voice.
Speaker 1: And there's nothing unique either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not curious anymore. You just trying to do the best job fitting in. And so for Ferrando and I together and then and then even separately, the one thing we've always prought ourselves on is going there's no guarantees in any of this. There was never a guarantee when we started, Like it just you just don't have any guarantee. It's like you're putting things out there and hoping it connects with an audience, and if it does, that's great, and if it doesn't, well, I'd still rather have put it out there and tried it anyway than not. But there's just no guarantee. The only thing you can control, like if you look at it from that perspective, like, the one controllable you can control is is this interesting to us, like is this interesting? And are we curious about this? And curiousity is such a good word for it, because you're like you're being led by what you think is other funny, interesting, or just a fun way to spend your day and in the pursuit of, you know, an interesting problem to solve, Like a lot of TV shows and even with the podcasts we do and separate stuff, I'd say you could classify all those things as interesting problems to solve, like something like Lego Masters. If I look at an episode, I go, all right, what's this episode about? How can we solve the presenting of this? Like how can we solve communicating this to the audience in the funnest, most interesting way? Like that's kind of how my brain would think about my job regard And same with the podcast with Andy, Like every week we get together on the Hamishanny podcast and go, what's the what's the funnest thing we could do? What's the thing that would excite us the most that we think would also bring our audience along for the ride, because we know if we're excited and where passionate, that's the best bet we've got. Like that, we do think that's the best way to kind of connect with your audience. So long way of answering that question. But curiosity is huge because it's your inner voice, like that's your gut. Your gut is your curiosity, and if you're being led by that, I kind of think you can't go wrong because if something hits, it's going to be the best kind of content because it's authentically what you're interested in. And if it doesn't hit, you can't still being true to yourself. So that's fine too.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. I was just when you're talking to me, then I was seeing a bet my brother. My brother's a lot younger than men. When he Leo came in, there was a thing called Meccano.
Speaker 2: I'm contractually Nola had to play with.
Speaker 1: It was that they were sort of a competitor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why Lego's worried about but no, no, and I'm not just saying this because I'm a Lego boy. It's so shit. The big bolts on him sheets I had one as I did too, because you know, a well meaning auntie had given me the crane or something made Ada mcconnough. I was like, oh my god, this is like when you look at Lego. And again I'm not being paid to say this, but I think we can all agree the engineering of Lego is like quite amazing.
Speaker 1: It's brilliant.
Speaker 2: These things click together, they stick. If you want to get really deep in at that little circle on top's called a stud and the gap on the bottom of a Lego, but it's called the anti stud. And the pressure with which they connect is called the clutch power of the brick. It's actually quite scientific. Anyway, they stick together. It's easy. You go over to mccano, you literally have to put mini bolts and was nuts.
Speaker 1: You know, you're screwing on well, and a lot of people wuldn't even know what it was. And I remember when then Lego came out and brought six years younger. Then when Lego came out. One of the things I know about my brother is he was very good at the detail. Like he would sit for like a little five year old kid or whatever. He would sit there for hours and I was like ten or eleven, I'll be looking at what the fuck you do? And he would five six hours. He do it all day long. And but what's interesting about that is my brother and I now do business together and my brother's a lawyer and he does all our legal stuff.
Speaker 2: The detail guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I look at you and Andy Leo, Yeah, are you the creative and here's the detailed guy? Or is sometimes because that's how you might be presented, or sometimes it is actually the reverse In real life.
Speaker 2: I'd say, as we've got older, we've probably got better at the other guy's discipline. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The reason I do the show down is because I think he's so fun. He makes me laugh so much, so it's not true to go I'm creative and he's not. Because when he brings things, I you know, I love it, Like we just make each other love. That's the that's the lottery we've won, is we found this other person that we just kind of have like a telepathy with and we're just so aligned on what we think is funny and a good adventure too. I think from the moment we met.
Speaker 1: Like do you remember that moment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely, And it was at Melbourne UNI.
Speaker 1: What were you doing?
Speaker 2: I took a year off and moved with my mum to Sydney in the year two thousand. I come up for the Olympics. I went to Synee and I was like, oh, this should be fun. So I took a year off and but and he went straight to You.
Speaker 1: Watch me sort of compete in the bits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit late to get selection. I rolled up as wild card, couldn't get I was like, maybe I could do a shooting.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I was just bumming around Sydney, just trying to sneak into the beach holleyball and stuff, and it was it was. It was a great fun time. But Ander had gone straight to UNI. Then I moved back to Melbourne to go to Union. He had gone straight to UNI, and one of my mates from high school had become friends with him. Got called Pete, and Pete's like, oh, mate, I reckon. You got to make this guy Andy like he actually reminds me a lot of you. I reckon. You guys are get on. And so we really Opeede a lot because yet me and Andy Mett and immediately we're like best friends and probably cut Pete out a bit and Pete out to go up and find some other people. So apologies Nlsey, But yeah, no. Then we were like, you know, we were thick as thieves and I think it was just sort of a sense of adventure that we had with each other because we still talk and I, in fact, the other day had a deep and meaningful about this, like we still are interested in, like why does this thing we do work?
Speaker 1: Like how do we feel.
Speaker 2: About We do a lot of analyzing, and like great, it's full of gratitude, like great for analyzing because we know how lucky we are to have each other. But one of the things we often talk about is we've probably got a pretty similar risk appetite as well, like we like to have a go at some big things, and especially when we're in our teens and twenties, Like that's exactly what you should be doing in your teens and twenties, Like this idea of going of just having a crack at things, And it made it so much easier though, to have a mate doing it. Like I think one of the things Andy gave me, especially in my twenties, that I'm way more grateful for any of the kind of like normal markers of success, like any of the financial rewards or you know, career longevity. One of the best gifts I reckon Andy gave me was at that time in my life is you just sort of just finding your feet coming out of your teenage years into your twenties. But he was a catalyst for courage. I think, like you meet a best friend and then you're like, all right, let's do it together. And I am so grateful for that too, because you know when you get a bit further down the track and it will bit of gray in your beard. All you want to do is tell people in their twenties just take massive risks. Who cares, Like, just pedal as hard as you can and to the extend you can be reckless, not massive personal risks, like you're not massive careless risks, but put yourself out there. Sorry, risk embarrassment, risk, risk getting it wrong, risk, you know, humiliation. If you want to have a business idea, if you want to have a if you want to get up on stage, or you want to release an album, or you want to decide to be a dancer or whatever it is you want to do, that's when you should do it in your twenties because you've got the agility to bounce back and it's always going to Any failure is going to be great.
Speaker 1: Lean into being vulnerable there, Yeah, who is a fuck yeah.
Speaker 2: Because but also come unfortunately well for me anyway, it comes on at a time in your life where you you're looking at the big wide world and you you I definitely was at risk of going, you know, just waiting until things seemed right.
Speaker 1: Or like, Okay, I've got this.
Speaker 2: You would that's yours that I reckon. I would have at that age waited a lot longer thinking I was, you know, that that fallacy of thinking that just wait until a few more things fall into place, and you know, suddenly a few years have gone by and you actually haven't done the thing that scares you. And I think by meeting ando and having someone by your side, you can gee each other up into doing the thing that scares you. And it's always the best thing to like, you know, have this conversation Evey when the kids as they're a little like this. The feeling that we all want in life is almost always on the other side of fear and the thing that scares you. And we know that feeling. We love that feeling when we get there, and we always like, oh, that's you know, I'm not going to be scared anymore. And of course we always it's a permanent process of trying to face those fears all the time, to remember to keep pushing through them.
Speaker 1: I think it is how our brain has evolved. It gets a way of survival. Yeah, when you say the two of you you feel better having two of you to do something. Is that because you feel better of both fail and you can sort of say to each other, like, let's say you're going to do somebody's.
Speaker 2: Going to fail, you're alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's about not being alone. And you said something really interesting a moment ago. You use the word courage, and I love the word, but also fear. Courage sort of sits somewhere between being completely fearful, in other words, you know, stone dead, you won't do anything nothing, And at the other end of the spectrum is reckless, where you don't give a fuck. You do everything and you don't give a shit about the outcomiscy and you don't care if it hurts anyone either. That's reckless. Courage sort of sits somewhere in the middle of that.
Speaker 2: Well, don't think courageous without being scared, because that's great.
Speaker 1: I love hearing that.
Speaker 2: Courage is the overcoming of fear. Courage is being scared and doing it anyway. Courage isn't the absence of fear, because that is where you could be a psychopathy. You know, it could just be like I don't assuming you're normal, Yeah, assuming you're normal, like you, So you have to be scared for the opportunity to be courageous, Like that's the gift of fear. I suppose if you want to frame it in that sense, you go, great, I'm scared, so now I've got a chance to do something with it and to see if I can overcome that fear.
Speaker 1: And finding someone who has the same mindset was like minded, Yeah, in a better way putting it like minded, that's pretty powerful. Did you recognize that at the time. Did you feel there's power in this?
Speaker 2: I think for a second, because I just got to UNI too, I think for a second I was like, Oh, this is great. This is what UNI was meant to be. You meant to meet all these great people, and then I just expected to meet heaps more like Andy because it was like day one I think we met and then I went I actually, hang on a second, maybe this is he's just one of one and we'll stick together. So you know, we're really really lucky that we have that, like mind and us, but simultaneously we're extremely different people too, So I think that's the that's the that's the beauty of it. We have so much that we have a ven diagram overlap on, and then we have a heap that we don't and that's what makes it. That's great. We don't want two hamishes and we don't want to Andy's.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't work.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work. So that's the alchemy, you know. That's that's one on one equals three is somehow we've got We've got that. We've got that enough in common that we completely understand each other, and then enough not in common that we are our own kind of unique people. So I think this was this this began because we're talking about like, you know, the details guy and the creative guy, and is extremely gifted at at at details. I mean, he's we have a segment on the show that makes fun of how detailed Orientity is. It's called upset Andy just because he loves everything to be neat organized like that.
Speaker 1: For real, that's for real, that's real. Yes, And I Gore just taking the Pierce.
Speaker 2: No no, no, proberly. Now it's probably an undiagnosed something that it's like it's all good fun. But you know, he has a drawer at home that's like, you know, batteries and like he has like everything labeled, and it's whereas my house is just piles and complete chaos. So I do. I mean, that's probably a little snapshot of our brains too, Like my brain is quite chaotic, he isn't. But I also think a big out of our relationship is we love the other guys. We love the other guy for their brain. So I think he likes what comes out of my chaotic brain, and I know I get so much benefit from his from the way he does things, and I think that's an important part of a partnership. I think you have to love the other person's brain rather than go, mate, why are you so ain? Or be more like me? It would be terrible if he was more like me. And at the same time, I don't think he's sitting there being like, hey, mate, be more you go to be more structured in this stuff. I think, you know, thankfully he's he's always kind of making space for me to just be like, yeah, that's the way Haym does things. But we know we'll get a result at the end, he'll spit something out and that will be good for the show.
Speaker 1: And did you always have that empathy between each other? I mean it or take time?
Speaker 2: It did take time. It probably did take to I reckon, I reckon, especially early days, likereing in your twenties and you're doing like you're doing a national radio show, and there's no rule book for any of that stuff, like you do learn by doing. And we're lucky to have good people around us too that we made communication a really big part of our team. So we did do a lot of checking in with each other. And because it's funny, you're growing as well at the same time, so it's not like you come to the table as complete humans. We came to each other as growing boys. Like we're like twenty two, so you're growing with each other and you go to keep checking in with each other as you're growing up together to keep it working. We always sort of joke that our partnership was we're like, it's a nuclear reactor. We have to notice cracks before someone else does, Like if we don't notice the cracks, it could be catastrophic, and we're also aware of like it's this. It was very strange thing that we ended up doing with our lives because we're like we've commercialized a friendship, like we we're mates, but now we're mates for our job. Quick. Now that's what we build a brand with two names in it. Yeah, it's us, Like it's not like we it's not characters. It's like it's us. So like you feel it, really you feel it because you're like, shit, if this people don't like the show, they don't like us. So it's kind of you're hanging a lot on it. So that takes a little bit of time to get your head around.
Speaker 1: But talking to each other, is it like for real? Like do you sit down, do you have a cadence? Like you sort of sit down and say, well, once a month, we get this is we're at.
Speaker 2: It's never been good at formalizing it. I think we it just has we've learned to do it organically, you know. Even I mean honestly, yesterday we had a similar chat and we were just just you know, we were into the year in Owstoned podcast. We're seeing how we're going, like you know, and a lot of the time, especially at the you know, at the moment, because I feel like we're in a great part of our lives. You know, it's just it's a lot of times. So it's just a real gratitude to just be like this is this is great, Like we're really lucky, Like you have the team we've got, you say that to each other, and we've been us this before, took. I think the thing that we're one of the other lotteries we want was we didn't just find a person that makes us laugh, and didn't just find a person that makes the performance side of things really easy. We also found a person who thinks we have the same definition.
Speaker 1: Of what good is in terms of values.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in terms of values, but I think it's as well as to what we do professionally. But actually yeah, in terms of values too. Like we want to have a team around us that's having a good time. We want to look after people. We want this to be enjoyable for everyone. We want people to feel, whether it's our audience or our team around us. I think we want people to I think we want to stand for what the good in life is. And like I said before, like the just for fun element, the laughter and the and the connection you can get to people in the same room as you, but also listening by simply having a great time.
Speaker 1: But is that a luxury that you can deal in now because you're so successful and you know you can you know, you make good money, et cetera. Got good coin you've accumulated or is that something that you guys had from the very beginning.
Speaker 2: I know it's easy to say it was there from the very beginning, but I do think it has been. I think it's been a core tenant of ours to go. We like, if you were like, what does this show stand for? Even back in early radio days, I think we would have honestly said this before any this is before a paycheck land, and like we stand for people have the people we engage with having fun. We always always at our happiest. I reckon when it's like listeners or other people in the show coming up with funny things and where like it's making us laugh, because I'd be like, I think that's what we've always stood for, the connection that humans can feel with each other when sort of silliness is in the air, and that's that's I think that's just what's always floated our boat. You know, the first radio show we did for many years, we did it for we were like, we'll work for free. We did Monday nights. Yeah. Our first actual first contract with this was with ostereo. Back in the days. This was on Fox FM in Melbourne, like and it wasn't national at that stage. We wanted to do the Drive Show because we'd always loved drive radio because I don't know, it's kind of similar these days too, but like breakfast shows are about like breaking news and gossip and like headlines, which has just never been our bag, and the Drive Show felt like you could be silly. It's like escapism. You can just talk about dumb stuff and make people laugh. And we're like, that's what we want to do. We want to do something this escapism. So we went to them and we were like, you know, they kind of were happy to have, like we're kind of happy to give you guys the show, but they they offered us Monday day to Thursday, and they're like, we can't afford to pay you guys five days a week, which I've never heard of before or whatever. Like then I was sort of just hedging their beds. Maybe wanted to do music, but the reason they gave us was like, well, we can't afford, we can't afford five days a week for the show, and we went, all right, well, we'll do Fridays for free because we don't want to do a Monday to Thursday show because then all our listeners on Friday will just not have a show to listen to and they'll go somewhere else. So yeah, for the first year we did Fridays for free, we got them back. In subsequent years we did make them.
Speaker 1: I think Ostereo over time has probably paid their way got.
Speaker 2: To pay Fridays. But so I can honestly say, hand on hut, like that was our It was never our mission to you know, we never got into this to make money. The money is an extremely happy side effect, but I've never it just so of course you appreciative and cognizant of like how lucky you are to be in a position to make money out of this thing. But it absolutely never a driver.
Speaker 1: So you're you're the it's sort of like a a straight guy and not so straight.
Speaker 2: Guy sometimes, And I guess I guess that I kind of sound why people do say that, because it's like it's it's I don't know, there's a thing where that's kind of like one of the rules people know about duos like you know, you go Laurela Hardy or straight straight. I've never thought of any and I like that. I just think we have different I actually think we're great at playing like bass and treble and flipping. You know. I just think I think. I just feel like it's two different vibrations that kind of work with each other.
Speaker 1: That sounds very scientific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've started off going music and then I switched to physics.
Speaker 1: But I just think music and physics are related, so it's okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well there we go. There's mum's influence. Again. I wouldn't know about bass and treble if it wasn't for Mum. But do you know what I mean, I'd never have gone like, I've never thought like, Okay, Andy's in the suit and I'm the clown. We just it does feel like a dance. Like Honestly, I'll go I'll stick with physics because that is actually what I was studying at UNI. I just think we know exactly in any given moment, how to counterbalance.
Speaker 1: Which character you need to be, how to.
Speaker 2: Counterbalance each other, to keep the center of gravity in the same spot so we can move all over the place, and the center kind of the show stays on track.
Speaker 1: And what most people don't probably realize about you, because you know you have sometimes you play loose and you're probably more reputationally that that person and you totally.
Speaker 2: That is the way I add.
Speaker 1: But what's interesting you just said you talk about physics, and the way you explain that was very logical and very structured. And the way you talked about LEGO.
Speaker 2: I am a bit of a science nerd.
Speaker 1: I can see that, and Lego is very structured, and it is about structured creativity, lateral and vertical strengths and engineered. Nearly it is engineered, and I'm not saying nearly it is engineered as brilliantly engineered. Most of you probably don't know that about you. I mean, they don't get that about you. Yes, it just seemed you for a bit of a giggle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I am I suppose I got a you know, like anyone, you've got a lot of different sides to the to the twelve side of dice, or how many sides you've got. But I was doing maths and physics at UNI. I was doing pure maths for a little while, not quite full Adam Spencer level, but.
Speaker 1: He is a free adam, but he's very.
Speaker 2: Good, so I can't I'm not quite in his echelon. But and because I did maths at school and I found it like I've got a bit of a mathsy brain, so I didn't find it difficult. And then I got to Uni thinking like, oh this is great, Like I was really good at maths at school, and then I got to university. And when you roll into pure advanced mathematics at Melbourne University, that's when you go, Okay, these kids are smart. I think I might not be in the right place here. I was sort of thinking I'd breeze in a couple of times a week, miss a few lectures here and there. These guys are really serious about maths, so I squeaked through and then I dropped it. I dropped it out a bit.
Speaker 1: But do you still feel as though that that style of thinking is one of your strengths. I do.
Speaker 2: I do because I think going back to looking at creativity in comedy is a bit of a puzzle, and a puzzle with many solutions. I think there is a mathematical overlap to the way you can look at.
Speaker 1: Creative nearly an algorithm to get to the end.
Speaker 2: It is. It is, and it's kind of about pattern recognition, like I remember in you know, for anyone that enjoys maths like it, you can see numbers move and kind of you know, the way you look at you can go, okay, well, I know that this slips under that denominator and this cancels that out, and you can kind of see the equation moving before your eyes. That's the way maths works when you get good at it, or like at a certain level, and that's the way your brain kind of you can you can see as you kind of get into it, whether you doing like whether you're presenting, whether you're kind of like freestyling a bit of like whether we're doing stuff on the podcast. Your brain's always like running the algorithm as fast as it can for what are the possible outcomes here and what what could lead off onto something else and what could branch into another chain of thoughts. I think there is an overlap, like I think I think I think speed of thought is a fun thing to exercise too, Like I think that's that's something.
Speaker 1: As an intellectual exercise, because if you're watching that, most people just watching your outcome, they're not getting what you do, what you've put into that to get to that point. You know you are freestyling. Then for pure John, your brain's working, and I love that. How important is it for you to deconstruct it like you do Lego and then reconstruct it. See there's a problem, I'm going to pull it out into his various parts and then I'm going to put it all back together and hopefully you don't have any pieces left over, and there's your outcome.
Speaker 2: Totally, And I think that's the fun of it. That's what I love.
Speaker 1: That's what you do is that's what I love about what.
Speaker 2: We get to do. You get infinite combinations basically. I mean there's a thing in Lego which I think I'm going to get this wrong, but if you take six bricks, like two by four bricks, which is like eight studs on the top, I think there is three million combinations you can put those together in just those six bricks. And so you know, for a Lego set that has hundreds of bricks in it, it'd have to be in the trillions.
Speaker 1: Of combinations of combination of possibilities.
Speaker 2: Not all of them look like a pirate ship. There's a couple that look aesthetically pleasing, but you know you've got to You've got under in combinations and.
Speaker 1: That's but none of them are wrong.
Speaker 2: None of them are wrong. Well well no, and there's none of them are wrong. Some would be more.
Speaker 1: Interesting, yeah, yeah, totally. So it's different.
Speaker 2: Not all of them would work as a set. But I think that's the fun of going, Okay, well, what can we put together that would be appealing. So you know, you're sitting down with any looking at a show, looking at a podcast, or doing my own TV show or whatever you have to do creatively, the fun is sitting down and going, Okay, right now we have nothing, and later on we're going to have something, and at some point in between then we're gonna it's gonna come.
Speaker 1: And that's your fun. I love that, that's your fun.
Speaker 2: That's my fun. So somewhere in there a spark is going to happen, and then from the tiniest spark, we're going to fan those flames and then we're gonna that's going to grow into something and I love. One of the things I find most satisfying about a job is like we get to the end of the year, and particularly with the podcast, with with Ando, like we get to go on these you know, awesome adventures, like either physically going on an adventure or just creatively going on a wild journey for something. And I love looking back at where it started because so often it's it's that it's it's a like one word or one sentence that because we're in that environment where we're like, what what else, what could happen? What could possibly come of this? And you and you, but you have the experience of knowing what feels like a good idea, what feels like a bit of a shit idea, Like does that feel like it has a rich vein of gold under it? Or does it this feel like just dry ground. You know, you're using all of those instincts to to end up on a great adventure like we did this thing at the end of the year and some of the fellas in here until from their t shirts their podcast listeners, but we did a we did a.
Speaker 1: He's a fanboy total fambod Adam, well.
Speaker 2: Adam, I mean you remember berg Boys from last year. Yep. So the end of the year, the last show of the year was a surprise show that we did from Mildura where we robbed an accounting firm meeting about it. The boss knew, but no one else knew. Right, are you familiar with the film from the nineties I think was Sneakers with Robert Redford. So this is what I mean about a very random idea. Way earlier last year, like a round about April, I happened to be flicking through TV and Sneakers was on, and I was like, oh, I remember this film and I loved this film. The plot line of Sneakers was it was a bunch of like ex hackers, like CIA people that now is it called red hat teams or black black hat? Yeah, so before that term existed. You know, they go to banks and they go, we'll break in. They need the boss's approval, you know. The chairman of the board goes, sure, break into our bank. See if you can get in, tell us where our vulnerabilities are, you know. So the opening scene is like they've robbed a bank. They give this guy a check for twenty million dollars. So you think it's a you know, you think it's a robbery film, but they're actually good guys. And then you know, the cham's like, all right, we got to fix this whatever. And then they go off on their adventures. Now, I was like, I don't know if this exists as a job where you can just break into places they can burgle people. But I was like, we should do our own sneakers. So we start chatting on the shows. Then we go if you are the boss of a business, like you have to be the boss. You can't and it has to be your business. You can't just make us rob your mate's motorbike shop or your enemy's motorbix shop. Like write in, tell us, like what you want us to do. So we get thousands of entries from people going yeah, like you know, I'm an optrometrist. Could you see how many glasses you can steal? Whatever? So we're sifting through them all, but we're like, well, we're not going to talk about this because we don't want to tip anyone off. But this lovely guy Rob wrote in and was like, look, I listened to the show with my son every week. You know, he's eighteen. I've got an accounting firm in Mildura. It's about twenty people that work here. We have a company, Suzuki Swift. Do you reckon? You could break in and steal the company? Car and we're like love this. So didn't talk about it all year. We had heaps of off air meetings that we were like recording how are going to rob in? And we came with this plan to like fake a gas leak, and we you know, made up a gas truck and we got a fake one eight hundred number. What A lot of effort was put into this is how we're going to get in. This is how we get the keys. But anyway, it was so funny.
Speaker 1: Are you in disguise?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we wore like has camp. So the plan was get there at five in the morning, tape up the building, and then the first people that arrive at shipping they had the keys to go, hey, there's been a gas leak. You know you can call this number. Can you let us in and we'll check it out. It actually worked unbelievably well. Like I was there the whole time, going goes, I don't know what's going to happen, but I promise you it's not going to go the way we planned, but kind of actually did. Got in. I got through reception first raw, I opened almost Suzuki keys. I was like, oh my god, this is unbelievable, right, out the back, stole the car, hooting and hollering, and they're great people, Like I think, where are those gas guys going? We haven't seen them for ages. So he's had so much fun doing that. But you know, and there were legends and we went back to you know, gave the car back, met everyone at the office. But to us, it was like this is one of This is to us like almost the podcast in its funest form. You know, it's listeners getting involved this this this this guy who is the head of an accounting firm in Madura like love that. He's like, I'm up for this. This just just seems like fun.
Speaker 1: It seems to me that you like to get as many people in to enjoy what you're going to enjoy. You you want everybody to have fun of this.
Speaker 2: It's just always funnier because.
Speaker 1: It's it funnier for everybody or funnier to you or is it because you want to share this.
Speaker 2: I I think it's infectious too. I think there's a part of it. You love it because you're like we all have it in us, Like we all, like I was saying before, like we all want to play and I love that it can be you know, we've I've always said, like, we do not want people standing there watching us on the roller coaster. I would much rather we take everyone on the roller coaster and we're all on it together. It's just infectious. It's just more fun if everyone's on board.
Speaker 1: I don't reckon most of us change. We've still got the boy in this.
Speaker 2: But we do. We do because I mean, I'm sure you know, I think it's commonly understood that it's like we don't we just you know, we're a tree. We just grow more layers on the air.
Speaker 1: We think we grow up, but we don't.
Speaker 2: We don't. We just we have the same care.
Speaker 1: I'm still boy. I mean, I'm still the same kid that I'll always always have been. You know, you know, there's not too many guys like you and Andy like together for a long time. I mean, I look at there's a younger version of you today that's the down the inspired unemployed boys. I mean, they're very similar.
Speaker 2: To you two guys, and I love those boys.
Speaker 1: They're great, they're awesome, and but there are much younger versions. So they haven't actually stood the test of time yet. But like over time, I mean they've gone through lots of ups and downs and they have.
Speaker 2: But and I think I do sometimes correct people when they're like they're the next time is shandy because I'm like, they're so nice in a good way, like they're they're they're different, great thing that they've discovered themselves. But one thing I love about those guys too is and that I really admire about them is their risk appetite. You know, their willingness to put themselves out there is what has earned them. They're very deserved rewards and following. It's so that's really infectious to watch the honesty with the way they put themselves out there. And it's those boys. Plus I love that they've got all them's around them too. There's like the supporting cast, and I just think they're great. They're actually really good humans at heart too, which I think you can feel. But again, they have a real just for fun element. They love it, they love their their there's like the they're a great example I think of going this is what this is. This is the fun you can have if you're willing to as much as you can, like put ego aside and and you know, embrace the silliness in life and and go on an adventure and and that's what I mean by you know, taking a big sweet teacher.
Speaker 1: The lms are very close similar to you and Andy. I mean, would you say that? And I don't want to a bit weird, but you love Andy, yeah, get weird. You love love Andy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you love Death and of course I do because he's just like yeah, a thousand per of course, you know. And I love a lot of my mates, but it's a it's a really well of all, my mate. I don't want any mates looking this going have I made the cut? I love you. I like you, Darren.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 2: So you feel you feel a love for your mates, but for any it's a really special kind of love because it's also a love forged by fire, because you've been in places that only the other guy would understand experiences.
Speaker 1: And so the two of you must be sitting back at the moment and looking at other long term partnerships like Colin Jacky at the moment, like you must be reflecting on that sort of situation and think fuck like totally.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's on a partnership level too. That's sad because no one ever wants it to end, like it's really fun doing things with when you find that special person, it's really fun doing things with that person.
Speaker 1: Does that galvanize you into being that that that event? Watching that from afar? Does that galvanized you two to sit back and be a bit more grateful about what you've got And does it remake give you a little bit reminder, let's make sure we don't go down that path. It ended up that way no matter what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't say it's that event particularly, but you you always are aware that, hey, we're going to have extra pressures on us because we our relationships in the open. And and that carries with it every single day. Like when you're on radio. Every day you're on air, you're you don't know what you're going to say every day, No one does because there's too much talking. Would be physically impossible to script a radio show. There's too much talking, so you never know what you're going to say. So it's a huge trust exercise with the person you're on air with. And it's you know, it's the dance, and anyone in radio knows this dance, whether it's two people, four people, five people, You're like all every day trying to create something out of nothing with each other, and you're taking tons and tons of risks thousands of times a day to just see how it goes with each other with each other because you've thrown something out there about the other person, about yourself, and you're always seeing how each other responds. And so you know, anyone that does that dances is it has to be really skilled at it. And like you know, obviously Colin Jackyo are the They've been around for twenty four twenty four years, I think it was. It's like unbelievably skilled and experienced people, so and successful, crazily successful because of their skill, because of their their talent as broadcasters. And so you know you're in this game. And but you also know looking ahead the road is littered with you know, eventually most people, that comes to an end, like every good band and every you know, there's that's so you know, you're so aware that partnerships come to an end. So it's not like and and I have looked at the klan Jack situation in particular, but we're always aware that, like, well, we don't want this to end, and that's why we check in. We're like are you still having fun? Are you still having fun. And we've always checked in along our career because there have been times we've done full time radio. There have been times we've done full time and full time television and that was just wild. Then we've done a little bit of radio and full time TV, and we've always ebbed and flowed. But all those changes, I would say have happened because preemptively we've gone, hey, before it gets too much, before this burns us out. I can feel it coming, not now, but maybe in a year. How would you feel about, you know, would we step back from the Drive show? Could we do something different? And that's probably one of the things I'm most grateful for too. We've always, I reckon so far, pre empted a load that would break us and stayed ahead of each one of you. Yeah, and then you know, and I've had kids, and A doesn't have kids, or it doesn't have kids yet too, so we've known there's different life pressures coming too. And so once the kids came along, and I said, Danna, look, we've had a great time in our life being super ambitious, and you know we could have we could afford to just kind of prioritize TV and whatever we wanted to do, I think, but now with kids. And it was awesome with this, and I said, I'm just not I said, you know what I think I've I've known. I know enough people that are further down the road that look back and go, Man, I can't believe I didn't go in a family holiday because I had a big deal at work going on, or any of that. And I said, I I know enough to know that I will regret if I don't prioritize the kids, especially being in the extremely fortunate position that I can do this. I can be not busy, I can afford to be not busy, and I can afford to be there and around the kids and make time and space to just to pick ups drop offs, take him out of school and go on adventures. And I'm going to do that. And he was great. He was like, all right, let's let's adapt and we can shift our life.
Speaker 1: Because because I was going to ask you, you're married to Zoe, and your she's she has her own business. Important is it that she's not? How important has it been for you? I should say, not generally speaking, but how important is for you that she has her own purpose in life and outside of your joint purpose being your family. But how important has that been to make these things work? Well, yeah, in your case.
Speaker 2: So how important is it for me that Zoe has her own Well, well, it's important for me because so needs that. If she didn't want to run a business, I would not be saying.
Speaker 1: Hey, go and get a business, Go get a business.
Speaker 2: It's important to me. It's important to me because it's important to her. So my you know, Zo's an extremely driven, like unbelievably, she's a polymath. She's all like she's good at everything, saying to her all the time. Hey, I think the reason you might be feeling like pretty like pretty lot overloaded is you have like three full time jobs, like running you know, being a founder of skincare company and coming up with new lie and you you know, cool new products and doing package redesigns and launching new you know, variants, and like having this company that has you know, forty fifty people and as successful as like that's a full time job. Writing books that is also a full time job. Being a mum that's also a full time job. You have three full time jobs and you're trying to kind of do them all at once, and they don't. A lot of the jobs don't.
Speaker 1: Know about each other so or care about it.
Speaker 2: So it's going to.
Speaker 1: Create like kids don't care about all that.
Speaker 2: There's going to be some tectonic plates that hit each other here and so so. But that's just has always been Zis Bay. She's unbo like from a young age, like she's just been like she has a restless mind in the best possible way, because.
Speaker 1: She's like a force of nature.
Speaker 2: Now, she is a force in nature. So I love that about her because that's who she is. So that's why it's important for me to make space for that and support her in the best ways I can. Sometimes that just means getting out of the way, which I do so, which I do lovingly. And then other times that means being the person that she can, being a rock that she can confide in and Lena when when she needs that.
Speaker 1: So did you notice any change then in regards to your relationship with Andy, Like when that happens? So you know, you meet him when you first meet her, and then you start going out with her and spending more time with her and maybe less time with him, perhaps I don't know. And then he knows you're going to get married and then long come the kids. How how do you guys manage that process you as an open conversation, Hey mate, I'm married, I got kid.
Speaker 2: I think we've actually always been pretty good at that side of things, because even from yeah, no, there was no point right to kick Andy out of the bed, to be like I'm sorry mate, No, no, sorry mate, we probably can't do this anymore. I actually think we were pretty well set up for that even from radio days, because we we started doing like the show was national and we were twenty five, I reckon maybe twenty six, like we're pretty young, and the show was national and it was successful like it was in its heyday, and that was a lot like that was. You know, you're traveling every week, you're in different capital cities and doing crazy things with the radio show. And I think from that pressure cooker we also learned in the early days that like, okay, we need to kind of cultivate our own lives outside of each.
Speaker 1: Other, like an agreement, like an unseated agreement, so to speak.
Speaker 2: It's just mentally we understood that, like, hey, we're probably not going to see each other this weekend for two reasons. A we've already seen each other for about one hundred hours this week. But also so I'm good love seeing you, but I do have other people I need to see, and same with Ando. But we also realize we have to live our own lives because thenhen we get back together to the radio show, we need to have something to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some new experience, some new exeriences.
Speaker 2: We can't start every story and have the other guy go, yeah, I was there. So we we actually got pretty good by necessity at having our own lives early early doors.
Speaker 1: Does your experience being married and having children? Does that then inspire you? Did that then inspire you to have you know that you have a podcast about dad's being dads like you know, because it seems like you nearly turn the curiosity into a show, which turns into a business. Like in other words, I'm interested in this this thing, I wouldn't mind finding out more about it from other dads, So therefore I might make a show about it, and that show becomes part of your infantry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we never to be a business. We did have a sponsor to pay Tim who had to quit his job to edit the show, but doing much how the dad's dad that was a actually, you know, because we both have experience being at podcast networks. The podcast network we do, they have a shaning podcasts. But they were like, please give us this show so we could and especially for a season. When I was like, day I ask you or you put it to them, they asked me because they were like, oh, you're doing it, yeah, please do it with us like you're doing a show. And I said, with the greatest love and respect, it's more important that I just do this in a little apartment in Bondi with my mate Tim, and we don't do it's not sponsored, because I think I would. I would hate for it to feel because it was really from the heart, like that show How Are the Dad's Dad? We've done three seasons and we are coming back to it. It's so from the heart. I was like, I was just I think this whole thing falls apart if it feels like it was for combak or whatever. Yea, even though I think audiences understand like at some point you do have to pay the bills and you have to pay people that have you know, can't just do this for fun. That was a really important one. And so How Are the Dad's Dad? I love doing, and it was a bit of a scary. That was a bit of a leap for me to like purely curiosity led but without the safety blanket of comedy, because I also sort of made the decision earlier. I was like, I think this has to be not a funny show. And that was really scary for me to do.
Speaker 1: But it's not meant to be funny.
Speaker 2: Not meant to be funny. I mean, I'm I don't stop recording if someone makes a joke, But I was like, I think it'll lose its meaning to if people come to the show thinking we have to find funny things about being There's plenty of that, and there's like great millions of hours of great stand up on parenting. But I was like, I don't think. I don't want to do that for this. I think there's a deeper thing at play here. I think men really do want to talk about being dads and the fact that when you're anyone that's a younger dad or any dad is trying to do it different than their dad did it, and sometimes you're borrowing from your father's playbook, but other times, and I'd include myself in this, with all due respect to my old man. I'm not borrowing from his playbook. I feel like this whole thing started because I was like, I feel like a lot of the ways that i'm a dad, if I really dig down on it, some of my core philosophies are just like things I overheard someone say at a barbecue, and I'm like, Oh, that's a cool thing to do with you.
Speaker 1: I'll try that.
Speaker 2: I might do that. And I was like, I think we're doing that a lot as dads, because there's not tons of resources necessarily for dads these days. There are good resources, but we're not flooded. And I was like, I think I would like to listen to this show where you're essentially just stealing the wisdom of other men that I think are good dads, and we're sharing it, and you're picking up some of those picking up some of those tips and philosophies and overarching ideas. And I also just think I'd never get sick of hearing examples of good dads. Ever, I could just hear it all day.
Speaker 1: It's funny you said something interesting. I mean, I borrow from my dad's playbook, but that was just be dad. Go out and earn as much more as you can work as hard as you can. It doesn't really matter what happens with the kids. That then matter if they see you, they don't see you. If you don't turn up, but you do turn up, that playbook piece might be made today might be the wrong way to go about it unless you had the perfect dad. You know, the playbook piece because I just employed the playbook and then I'm a lot older than you, and I just took something out of something that happened in the sixties, you know, and today the world's different. Kids want more things, kids expect something not to expect. But kids, well, there's more opportunities for us to share every moment with them. And I think what you're doing is a great job. You know, Like you said, you don't you can manage your life around spending more time with the kids, which is probably what your dad didn't do because he was so busy putting the irrigation pipes in and leaving at seven o'clock in the morning was six thirty morning to get to someone by seven am. Because he's a trading and he got home late and he's probably stuffed. And probably the reason you're trying to get a rise out of may dad, you just always think about work.
Speaker 2: And that's that balance, and I reckon a lot of guys have these days, you know, people with young, young or youngish kids. You're at the same time, I think, going, Okay, I understand why dad had to do what he did, so I'm not there's no resentment there, there's a there's no resentment. He was a man doing the best he could with what he had, and I understand his decisions. But at the same time, I'm not going to do that. So when you make that choice to go, well, I'm not going to be like that, you go all right, so what am I going to be? And that's that I think, especially when you have new to fatherhood, they have that feeling of going, all right, well, I'm going to I'm going to write my own playbook here and and where am I going to get that information from?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, that's a pretty cool position to be. And I mean, do you actually sit down with Zoe and say to her, look, how lucky we are that we can actually do this. You know, we're going to write our own playbook?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and and and it's scary and you make a lot of mistakes, and that part's Okay, that's fine. That's probably one of the greatest if terms of gratitude, you know, the fact that you get to kind of try again. And kids just generally are so forgiving, especially when they're little.
Speaker 1: They don't remember anyway, thank god, Yeah, they don't. There's anultystemic but like you know, there.
Speaker 2: Is that old thing that they don't remember anything you say. They just remember how they felt and what they saw you do and what they saw you do. So and that's that's a huge part of it too. And and I do believe what they you need to be there for them to see.
Speaker 1: For them to see what you do, as opposed to them just seeing or that just goes to work all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know that's really for a lot of dads, and there's zero judgment there and there's a lot of you know, and that's that's a lot of people's reality. So it's certainly not saying you've got to be in your kids face twenty four seven, of course not because they also you know, for the moms and dads that are out there like working hard, and that's more and more the reality these days, Like I think things are harder and harder. Kids do see that, and there's a huge I think there's a huge benefit to that. They're like, this is what it takes to be an adult. This is what takes to do this for you guys. And then there's the other bits where you are there and how do you manage those and what do you stand for and what are your pillars when you're there?
Speaker 1: So you've just kicked off your podcast again for twenty twenty six. Put it starts in March or something, but you have a quite a long break. I love this part. I love this man.
Speaker 2: Thank god someone loves it because I it's tough, but it is the government mandated podcasting.
Speaker 1: Can you just go through that? Because at this government mandate, this is a what do you have three months? What's the deal?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was getting ready to go to the podcast a few months ago, walking out the door, and kids like, where are you going? I was like' podcasting. You're like, you haven't done that for ages. I was like, I mean, well, sneaks up on you, guys. It's been eight weeks. And then Zo Goo's twelve mate, I was like, has it been twelve? That has been twelve? Again? With the work life balance, we kind of just sat down at the start of podcasting and went and you know this about podcasts, and it's like, you make your own rules. You could be like, hey, guys, we're going to do a season of the show and it's eight weeks and everyone goes all right, Or you could do a season and it's one hundred episodes and everyone goes all right. You just kind of make your own rule. So we thought it felt about right to do forty weeks a year, and then it did, I mean, it did over time evolve into I guess we would rather just say, hey, we want twelve weeks off. It's become known as the government mandated podcasting break, which is it's really it's it's it's difficult for us, but that's I don't know if you know this or not, but the government to avoid podcasts to burnout, which is one of the government's big priorities. They yeah, they make us take most food.
Speaker 1: Don't know that that audience audience.
Speaker 2: But we spend most of the break fighting the bastards that so far just bloand ad. You just blocked at every road. But we'll never stop the fight, and who knows, maybe we'll see a future where that break could come down to ten weeks or.
Speaker 1: Because you're just waiting, you just can't wait to get it.
Speaker 2: When we're just at home rehearsing, that's making sure you're lining up at pen in our pads, like just getting really ready, doing mite checks, charging out the batteries, just for the cameras.
Speaker 1: Just practicing in front of the mirror, ready to go, ready to go.
Speaker 2: But then that twelve weeks that does fly by, and then you're back into it for forty relentless weeks a year.
Speaker 1: What's interesting about that too, you know, is in terms of the way you think you mentioned something interesting there. You just you said, okay, well that's what we want to do for work life balance, call it that. But what we'll do is we'll turn this into an algorithm. We'll talk about a season, forty week season and we need and we'll take twelve weeks off, but that twelve weeks will actually allocate something around that. We call it the you know, the government mandated period and the whole thing. You know, like most people are looking to go, oh that makes sense, Yeah, yeah, that's good. But all you've done is you delivered some logic. It's mathematical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and it makes it.
Speaker 1: It's logical.
Speaker 2: I do think it makes the show better because we you know, it kind of like gives a good rece I actually actually think it's good for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I really like that.
Speaker 2: Twelve week holiday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but do you think people hang out and saying, oh, I'm missing out on the show I wanted to.
Speaker 2: I think we pushed it to the limit. We do get people towards you and being like, hey, guys.
Speaker 1: The foot shoe. So you're starting a fucking show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fifty minutes a week when you start, I'm back on to do the show. But it does, it does work for us for you know, recharging. We also kind of knock off, you know, you can wrap up other TV projects at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: It creates a little bit of doing nothing.
Speaker 2: But it again, it is that thing that we sort of to actually peel the curtain back a little bit. It's that making sure you've got that it never becomes a burden. I would hate, especially for our podcast, everything like it doesn't. Our podcast is one thousand percent our favorite part of the week. We are like busting to get in there. We deliberately cap the shows about forty five fifty minutes, because as podcast listeners ourselves, we're like, I know, I've had comedy shows that I really enjoy, but I've haven't listened to for a few weeks. And then I look at the I'm like, oh my god, I'm thirty episodes behind, and I just mentally am like, eugh, it's too you know, it's too many.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We've always tried to.
Speaker 2: Keep it that amount just so it feels like everyone can still be up to date with it. So it is a bit of a chance for people to kind of get through the backlog towards the end of the year. And our main goal is to never ever ever have the podcast feel like it it's thin, like every episode is always jam packed. We have too much We record too much stuff for an episode. That's fine. That's kind of the way we like it because we're so excited to be in there. We've had the podcast in people come and go We'll just do two epps a week, and I'm like, yeah, then if it's if we had two, like just enough episodes, it just isn't the same energy as one jam packed one.
Speaker 1: So that's the way we like it. I just love the way you guys structure everything again, and I have to say, like, this's mean a lot of fun to me. By the way, I'm just finding about how you think, because the most exciting days of my week is when I'm doing my podcast and I get to meet people like you and I get to find it learn how people think it's crazy.
Speaker 2: I agree there is an energy to that too, isn't there When talking about how are the Dad's Dads? Sometimes we will record three of those in a day, Like, I know you do a fair few of these in a day too. Do you get tired from it or do you get energized?
Speaker 1: I get tired after yes, Like when I get home, I'm like, I'm gone, But like during the process, I'm okay. I don't know whether it's because I know a lot of confidence between.
Speaker 2: But I think it's funny because when we did how the Dad's Dad, I was like, I was expecting to be cooked, but I was like buzzing afterwards. And I think it has something to do with when you're curious and you're like mentally engaged. I don't know, you're just in the right place. I think it's a good indicator that you're in the right spot. Brain's energized.
Speaker 1: But I should come on your dad's dad's dad because I got four sons and I've got five green kid's so I'm granddadding as well. And it's a completely different process to being a dad. Howm I F I love it, but it's a and the kids all got different characteristics and personalities, et cetera, the grand kids that is, and and I just yeah, it's it's an amazing experience for me.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon? What do you reckon? You are doing differently as a granddad than you did as a dad.
Speaker 1: Much more present, interesting and doing silly things like like on Sunday, I had Billy come over and he's too and we lay down on the bunk bed. You know, I've got bunk beds and every even all the kid grand.
Speaker 2: Which is a beautiful not every grandpa does that.
Speaker 1: And I'm laying on the bunk bed with him and he loves this so silly, but he wants to go, I've got a table chance seven. We got two orange type tennis balls. He holds me and go and get two orange table tennis balls. And we would just lay on the bed on the bottom bank bunk and he wants me to throw the ball my one up and then hit the top bunk and bounce down. He laughs, he said off and he does exactly the same. And I thought, this is entertaining kid. I could have sat there for hours doing it so easily and tained and just laughing and giggling. And my life is fairly complex into my business world, and and I thought, how nice is this? Like it's therapy, therapy, it's the best mate.
Speaker 2: It makes me get a little bit teary, because I think that's that's the point of life, you know, it's it's actually the connections, like it's in the little moments. I think it's easy to think that it's the trips to Disneyland, or it's not. It's not.
Speaker 1: They're not in this by the way, Yeah, exactly. I lost one kid in Disneyland. I lost him.
Speaker 2: So you had five, did you? You got him back?
Speaker 1: I got him back. That's quick, very good. Sorry.
Speaker 2: You know we're meant to be going to l a Disneyland. Yeah, I think we're going next year. I have to keep a look up for it.
Speaker 1: It's mental there by the way.
Speaker 2: If I see a kid that looks like you would about twenty five, maybe even a bit older, just say I know your dad mate, Come with me. I know where your dad is.
Speaker 1: Take your hat, still got your passport. Good to see him. That was awesome, so good