Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to a very different episode of the Masphony podcast and what's going to be the first episode in a new little investigations series. I'm recording this intro right now in a hotel room in Bali.
Speaker 2: I just met Beck, who has also.
Speaker 1: Just landed in Bali ahead of undergoing what is possibly one of the most controversial new cosmetic surgeries out there.
Speaker 3: I'm standing for a nervous Josh, what am I doing?
Speaker 1: What all? Well, this isn't a holiday, is it.
Speaker 4: It's not a holiday? Nervous, but I can't work the things we do for beauty.
Speaker 1: And over the next twenty four hours, ten more leading Australian influencers are going to arrive here or to undergo the same procedure. What if this is a big, big mistake which I didn't even know existed until a couple of months ago, and it isn't even yet available in Australia. But you can always say no at any point. I can I can't say no at any point.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I imagine you're quite confused listening to this right now, and don't worry, because I have been too. So I'm going to take you to the very start of how I even ended up here in BALLEI investigating the actual reality of this latest craze. I think we can call it in the cosmetic surgery world, which, trust me, very soon you will not be able to escape in the press and in your news feeds. Okay, to take this back to the very very very start. As some of you may know, my media career started in the world of celebrity magazines back in the UK many years ago. At twenty one, I was offered an internship at a gossip magazine in London to help with their social media. Within two weeks, the team on that magazine offered me the role of junior writer. I said to them when they offered me that, like, yo, actually, like I don't know how.
Speaker 2: To write or interview people or any of that. I dropped out of school.
Speaker 1: But the editors told me that that was okay because I apparently had the most important thing, which was passion, And they said, like, take the job, Josh, and we will teach you to be a proper journalist on the go. And yeah they did, and within a year of taking that junior writer role, I'd been promoted twice to the senior writer. I was nominated for Rising star at the British Media Awards, and I was suddenly doing all the big cover features for the magazine every single week. Hi, I'm Josh from Now Magazine and today I'm joined by the Queen that is Para Hilton in London with Zoella. And back then when my editors were training me, they shared with me the biggest secret behind every celebrity interview and magazine, and that was that I must ask every female celebrity about the free bees, which are boys, babies and bodies aka boys. Like I'd sit down with someone and be like, yo, tell me about your love life, what's going on there? Because you know we all love a gossip and gossip cells, babies. I would have to ask like do you have kids? Do you want kids? Do you want to freeze your eggs if you haven't got a partner? Would you do IVF? Like all these things because I was told most of our readers and mothers, so anything on that topic will resonate with our readers and then bodies.
Speaker 2: And I was told by.
Speaker 1: My editors I must ask every female celebrity you want to die? Have you lost weight? Have you put weight on? Have you had any work done? What work would you like done? I was even told to ask them like, Hey, what do you hate most about your body? And if you could change anything right now, like what would you change? And back then, my editors explained to me that we must do that because having someone rich and famous talk about and insecurity would make our regular everyday readers feel better about themselves, and it would also make the celebrity that little bit more relatable. But gradually, over the years I slowly realized that that just wasn't true, and I realized that I was told to ask the celebrities those questions so we the magazine, we could exploit their insecurities for profit while pushing out these unrealistic beauty standards onto the unsuspecting public who bought into every diet, every fitness program, and every cosmetic procedure that.
Speaker 2: Our magazine and every magazine.
Speaker 1: Back then pushed out on the cover every single week. And everything we did was part of like this twisted, self proclaimed body positivity movement that did nothing but essentially just made people feel worse about themselves and the celebrity included. And back then, I'll admit I didn't know any better, and it took me years to think like, hey, should we be reducing every woman out there down to these three topics as if that's.
Speaker 2: All they are?
Speaker 1: And like back then again, I was a kid and I was grateful to have what I thought was my dream job, especially because I didn't go to UNI, I didn't study like this kind of just fell in my lap. And those in charge, like the editors who were training me, they all had decades of editorial experience under their belts, and to me and to all the other young staff who I suppose of my age and are now maybe leading new publications in this new form of media. Like back then the editors what they told was their word was gospel. But now, more than ever, I've essentially realized just how problematic that all was, and even my small part of it all, which is why I think this little Bally podcast series you're about to listen to is important. But before we get to this, now, in BALI me working at that magazine and then as a showbies journal for years, I essentially had a front row seat to every plastic surgery craze that came and when, and like especially through my regular often weekly interviews with people like Katie Price in the UK and Charlotte Crosby from Jordie Shaw, which I continued doing once I moved to Australia. And some of you may actually remember me from briefly appearing on The Charlotte Crosby Show during an episode where Charlotte was mid breakup, quite emotional, and her management while she was in Sydney for Ah, great, Charlotte's vulnerable and a bit of a mess. Let's bring Josh in who she knows like to just interview her about the breakup.
Speaker 3: I feel like shit, I've got one last interview to do. At least I've been interviewed by this guy before. She's awful, so I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a weird episode. But back to the point.
Speaker 1: I spent years interviewing Charlotte, and in those interviews I documented every little.
Speaker 2: Tweak that she made to her body.
Speaker 1: And every time like we did a new interview and she was telling me about whatever she'd done, I did always.
Speaker 2: Think to myself, is any of this necessary?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Why are we or why are you? Why is anyone doing this to themselves?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 1: Everyone, I'm in Australia.
Speaker 3: I think what everyone really wants to know is about my new nes Woo, shiny glaring unicorns.
Speaker 2: It looks best from the side for you.
Speaker 1: And every time Charlotte got something new done and she would proudly share it through people like me. Then you know, we'd put that content out and people would respond, not always positively, which he's expected, and then we, as the magazine, would do another piece on that with a headline like Charlotte hits back at the trolls, just to keep fanning those flames of outrage. And a lot of the time, though, what the media and the magazines and even like the Daily mel will say in the headlines is cruel trolls. It's often not cruel trolls. It's just regular people going yo, I don't think this is healthy and should we be pushing this onto young girls? And of course I am a big believer in your body, your choice. Everyone is entitled to do what makes them happy or do what brings them a confidence that they've always lacked, you know whatever. But where is the line between self love and just an endless search for validation.
Speaker 3: I had a nose job. I don't want to go back and have more searching because nothing else I want to change. I think if you feel if you're a bit of an insecure person or you're unhappy with a lot of things on your body, then yeah, but I don't know whether it is I don't know whether it is addictive.
Speaker 1: When I first started in this industry at that magazine in age twenty one, it was all about the breast implants or the boltons as they were called back then, and there was obviously noose jobs and LiPo in the mix too, which back then they were like the two of the most popular procedures out there for people wanting to change their appearance, and they were like the original holy trinity of procedures for people in the spotlight. But then along came the Kardashians and Instagram, and suddenly it was all about lip filler and then cheek filler and filler everywhere, and then after that it was the Brazilian bum lift, which to me again is when this pursuit of perfection it just started to seem like extreme and dangerous. There's something called the Brazilian butt lift, which is fat transferred to the buttocks, and it has the highest death rate in plastic surgery. Like it got to the point where you've got young girls literally killing themselves in a bid to try and look like other girls they've seen on Instagram. Now, though, and as some of you may have noticed, over the last couple of years, the desire for big breasts and a big bum has been replaced by a more natural look. And one leading plastic surgeon in Australia I spoke to who while researching for this podcast series, he told me that people are now craving and paying a lot of money for more conservative looks, and most of his clients are now chasing subtle looks over those extreme ones of recent years, and they go to him wanting smaller chests and smaller behinds and a smaller waist, or as it's now known, the snatched waist.
Speaker 2: And for a brief period of time, the snatched.
Speaker 1: Waste was done through rib removal, which is extreme and dangerous, to the point that around the world most surgeons just flat out refused to perform that procedure because of the risks associated. But over the last few years, the apparent safe alternative to this has taken off, and especially in America, and this is known technically as rib recontouring, but across social media and especially TikTok it's called the snatched waist.
Speaker 4: If I could only pick one underrated procedure in body contouring, its ribra modeling. And the reason why I say that is because ribbra modeling is an innovative technique that allows us to further sculpt the body in ways that were previously unavailable to us. Even though liposuction is a very effective technique at sculpting the body and slimming the waistline, ribra modeling allows us to take it one step further by actually repositioning the ribs slightly inwards, and that allows us to achieve anywhere from a two to four inch reduction off the waistline, giving you that snatched hourglass look.
Speaker 1: And this is where surgeons, essentially, through like a zero point eight millimeter pinpoint on your sides and a needle and ultrasound, they can reshape your eleventh and twelve bottom ribs, also known as the floating ribs. And when people talk about like invasive surgery and stitches and all that stuff, this doesn't really have any of that because these no wound is just a pinpoint, Like it's all done essentially through that I think like a needle or something or just that zero upon eight millimeter pinpoint. Yeah, like which sounds crazy and like, how's that even possible? But that is the new thing, and this procedure is being promoted as something that can't be achieved by LiPo or Tommy Tuk's or diet or even exercise. You're ether born with this snatched bobby like waist or you're not, and if you want it, this is now the only way to get it. Or that's how it's being promoted at least.
Speaker 2: What if I told.
Speaker 5: You that tomorrow I'm getting a surgery done where they remove four of.
Speaker 2: My ribs, Well then I'd be lying.
Speaker 5: But I am going to Scottsdale to see doctor Turn and we're doing the rib car procedure. Let me tell you a little bit about it.
Speaker 2: A rib car procedure itself.
Speaker 5: Is a way to change the shape of your midsection. And that's something I've struggled with my entire life. I am SpongeBob SquarePants, just a big old block a brick, if you will, No matter what weight I get to, no matter what exercises I've done, and I've been trying my entire life, I have this shape. And for me, I would prefer something pulled in with a little bit more femininity.
Speaker 1: And six months ago when I first came across this, it was when Mamma Mia, the website in Australia did a big feature on it, calling it the next big thing on the cosmetic surgery scene. Prior to that, the New York Times did a big feature on it. As it grew in popularity in America especially, and as of right now this moment me recording this in Bali, this procedure is being called the fastest growing cosmetic procedure in the world.
Speaker 3: I'm four weeks post up rib remodeling, let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: And it's been performed now just over three thousand times, which is men. It was only a matter of time before it hit the Australian market.
Speaker 3: If you are new to this channel, my name is Samantha. I'm a pull start provider in Chicago, Illinois, and this video is about my journey for the river modeling procedures.
Speaker 1: So a few weeks ago now towards the end of May. Monique Molly, a girl I met when she first appeared on the Bachelor in two thousand and nine. She messaged me to say, Hey, Josh, I'm off the Ballei in June with a group of other Australian influencers, and we're all going to undergo this procedure, and she said, hey, it could be good for you to talk about on the podcast, like this podcast. The Initially I was like, nah, because I don't want to be seen to be endorsing it in any way because I don't necessarily agree with it. I don't actually really agree with most cosmetic procedures. Again, your body, your choice. Everyone out there make their own decision. But me personally, I'm just a bit like is most of this necessary? Probably not, But again, who am I to tell others what to do with their own body? And then then after that message from Monigue, I started to think more about it, and I started researching, and I became curious, and firstly, are as curious who were the other girls joining her on this trip? And this is before I even realized Beck was one of them, who obviously I've done a lot with on this podcast over the last six months.
Speaker 2: And then there's a couple of other mass girls.
Speaker 1: But secondly I then started to think like, hey, regardless who these girls are, I think it's fair to say that between them they'll have say a minimum of what two million followers, And that's two million Australian women and potential young girls who will soon be having this procedure and the results from this trip in BALI forced into their news feeds, and that's two million people. I thought, Hey, they're only going to see these strong before and after pictures from these influencers, presumably with no wider context or balanced, unbiased perspective of this new craze. And that's when I started to entertain this idea of coming here to document it. And I thought, well, I want to find out more about this. So I reached out to the company behind this trip and I set up a call, and initially that was just to find out, like, Yo, what the hell is actually going on here? Okay, so it's June fourth. I've just got off the phone with the owners of what's it called snatchedwate dot com? Are you?
Speaker 2: They're the company which are.
Speaker 1: Apparently the world's leading destination to rib recontouring I think it's called, and they're the ones who have essentially arranged this trip for Monique and Beck. And I've now found out there's like some other maths people and the other influencers going on this trip to Bali, and their business model is essentially people go to them being like, hey, we want to do this procedure in Bali, and they then arrange the flights, the hotel, the consultations, the surgery itself, the recovery stuff, the checks that all this in a like a five star luxury hotelity apparently get someone who meets you off the plane like as a VIP and they're essentially like selling a luxury package hology that just happens to have a surgery in the middle of it. And like the hotelity apparently put all the girls uppert which I think they're gonna put me up at if I go is like voted the best in Asia or something, and they were saying, like, you know how historically a lot of Ozzie would go back in the day to was it like Thailand to get the boobs done, and like in the UK, it's actually a running joke how people go to Turkey to get like Turkey teeth veniers and hair transplants. Like this is now apparently the new thing, Like Bali is apparently now the destination for a lot of cosmetic procedures. But especially this like rib recontouring thing and I'm not call then I just had so many questions for the team, and they just said, like, yo, Josh, just come over document it, like you can have access to whatever you want, you can see whatever you want.
Speaker 2: And he said, like, sure, a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Are doing this procedure for vanity reasons, which I mean their choice, but he also said there's a lot more to it and like emotional reasons and mums who apparently I think he was saying when a lot of women are pregnant, their ribs spott and ribs can flare out and they don't go back again. I need to research into this because I'm just going off their word and this is also new to me, but I just wanted to get my initial thoughts after this phone call. And yeah again he just said come on the trip. We'd love to have you. And I said potentially. Let me think about it, and then I said, like if I do, I want to have a few things set out. I want a few conditions for you to agree. Like who am I saying I've got my conditions. If I come, you've got to accept my conditions, like the fuck A.
Speaker 2: Buy, which yeah, I will.
Speaker 1: Explain properly when I get back to my house okay, my studio in a few minutes. I just had that call walking around my suburb, which is where I'm recording this afterwards.
Speaker 2: If it sounds a bit shit, sorry about that.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to get my initial thoughts because I'm all hyped up thinking I'm fucking Louis Ferroux or something investigating the manus.
Speaker 2: For it's not the manus fit, it's the opposite.
Speaker 1: It's the ribosphere. Also, lovely weather today for winter if anyone's in Sydney. So now I don't even know if you'll ever hear this, and by the time you hear it might be shit weather. Anyway, right back.
Speaker 2: To the point.
Speaker 1: Back to the point, Okay, my big two conditions to even coming here to BALI. Firstly, I said, yo, I do not want paying at all, because if you do pay me, sure like I do sponsorships on this podcast, but if we did that, it's gonna then feel like a paid endorsement. And endorsing something and just documenting it are two very different things. And I don't want to be paid because I don't want to endorse it. And I said, sure, you can pay for my flight and accommodation on the agreement that I will provide some coverage on this podcast and through my socials. But you're gonna have no control or input in any of that. You don't get to dictate or know what I'm gonna say. I'm not gonna say it's great if I don't think it's great. I said, my promise is I will come and I will be honest about everything how I find it, and with the girls coming on this trip, I will just discuss their journey from start to finish landing in Bali to leaving in Bali rather than just posting what I before and after picture that I actually most media are gonna do once they all post about doing this. And I also said, like, if I come, I am going to ask the girls firstly, why are they doing.
Speaker 2: This and is it necessary?
Speaker 1: And also yeah, you're telling me like it's super safe and like there's no stitches. There's not really anything because there there's not really anything too stitch because it's so tiny, But is it actually safe? Like again, this is such a new thing that isn't even available in Australia. So I said, for me, anything I do transparency is going to be the key. And as Mama Mia said six months ago, whether you like it or not, this is the next big thing on the cosmetic surgery scene and it is going to become harder and harder to escape and very soon. Now it's become so accessible to Ozzie's, it is going to be pushed onto young Australians very hard through social media and the mainstream media. And I at least feel that, hey, all those people need to know exactly what this entails again rather than just seeing it before and after picture, that everyone on this trip will post showing what I assume will be amazing results. And much to my surprise, once I told the company, the team behind Snatched Waste that hey, these are my conditions. If you want me, I'm going to do it my way and I'm making no promises, and they essentially said, yeah, sure, we'd love to have here. We've got nothing to hide, Come document everything, talk about everything, be honest about everything, like they're confident in their whole thing. They told me how they've got like the best surgeons in the world operating out the hospital they do, or the proceedings in here in Bali and so Yeah, hope you're excited for part two, which will come very soon. Keep an eye on my personal socials TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, just search my name because I'll be posting the clips and the visuals to everything.
Speaker 2: Then on this pod, they'll be longer form chats.
Speaker 1: With Beck and other pupil like before they go under, after they wake up, as they recover me kind of asking every step of the way, like yo, again, why are you doing this?
Speaker 2: Do you regret it? Is it worth it?
Speaker 1: To me?
Speaker 2: Most surgery is not. But again, their body, their choice, say up.