Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, February nine, twenty twenty six. They broke up, made up, split again, and now they're back together. The federal opposition parties are once again a coalition after weekend talks between Liberal leader Susan Lee and National's leader David Little Proud. Lee has back down on her threat to banish three rebel National MPs to the backbench for six months. They'll serve a much shorter sentence, and Little Proud says he's confident they can stand together against the Labor government when Parliament resumes this week. For all our reporting and analysis of that, check out Beaustralian dot com dot AU spy agency AZO says it's not responsible for the Bondai Beach anti Semitic massacre. The spooks have come out ahead of an ABC four Corners report shared for Monday Night with a forceful defense of their twenty nineteen conclusion that shooter Navid Akram was not a violent extremist. AZIO says the source for the ABC's yarn is a disgruntled, unreliable former informant. It's awkward timing for the ABC, with editor in chief and Managing director Hugh Marks due to appear at a Senate estimates hearing this week, which will focus on the broadcasters impartiality. Steve Jackson is The Australian's Media Diary editor and is here to discuss how the grilling will go. Plus, Jacko has a red hot scoop today about an on assignment blow up between a star reporter and a cameraman. Steve Jackson edits The Australian's Media Diary. Steve, we've both been in the position where a government organization denies our story, but it's rare for that to happen before the story's published.
Speaker 2: What's going on with Four Corners? You're right, Claire.
Speaker 3: Usually the denials come to you alone, not to the whole public. It's come from ASIO, which we all know is the chief spying agency in Australia, and they think they've got an inkling about what's going to be in Four Corners on Monday Night. Now they are a spying agency, you'd think their mail could possibly be correct. They tend to this is what they do for their trade, and they reckon that what is coming is unfair, and it's been served up by a disgruntled former insider, and they're so alarmed by it that they've actually gone to the unprecedented step. And I don't know if you'll remember clear any time in history where ASIO has come out and categorically said we're going to go on the record and say this isn't true. I can't recall that ever happening.
Speaker 1: They try to remain in the shadows obviously. In fact, a few times I've rung ASIO because they do have a landline and someone picks up and just says hello, which leads to an awkward conversation where it's like, oh, hang on, is this Asio?
Speaker 2: And they say how can I help you? Could they help you? No?
Speaker 1: In fact, they generally say no comment, So for them to make a preemptive denial is very interesting. Now this is part of a welter of Bondi stories that television Current affairs shows are doing. Of course, everyone's already been scooped on the big interview with the hero, haven't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, Anna Koran flew in from Hong Kong for she works for American cable television and she flew into Australia in December and she scooped everyone. Nobody even knew she was doing it. Next thing we know the interviews on air. It's been broadcast around the world and everyone's going on, did you know that nobody had any idea to happen? Now sixty minutes is going to be interviewing Ahmed al ah Met. They won't comment interestingly whether or not he's been paid. Obviously, that's one of the questions that always slopes around how much you know, has he been paid? But I think in this circumstance, given he's a hero and what he's done, let's remember this is a guy ran towards a terrorist firing a shotgun at people and disarmed them and saved countless lives. I think no matter what they've given him, whether it be a free lunch or you know, another night down at the Crown Towers, then we're probably all okay with that one.
Speaker 1: BABC is going to be under more scrutiny this week when Hugh Marx appears at Senate estimates what will be the tone of the grilling he'll get.
Speaker 3: Well, it's going to be tough for Hugh Marx. He is now coming up to a year in that top job, and he's got a lot of news breaking just on the eve of his Senate estimates. And we know that Sarah Henderson, herself, a former ABC journalist who won a Walkley for her coverage while she's with the public broadcaster, is a strong believer in holding the organization to account. So she's going to be doing that again. I've spoken to her in the past week about what she'll be grilling mister Marks on, So one topic she'll definitely be asking about is this how she had with the host of seven thirty in the Halls of Canberra last November. She says that Sarah Ferguson took umbrage with the Senator critiquing her journalism, particularly a show she had done for four Corners. On top of that, we can expect four Corners to be getting a few mentions given the latest developments with ASIO, and I think we're also going to hear questions about Gavin Fang's insistence that no ABC journalists.
Speaker 2: Pulled out of the Adelaide Writers.
Speaker 3: Week because they supported the pro Palestinian author Randa Abdelfhatar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a scoop you broke in Diary where two very senior ABC journalists Laura Tingle and Louise Milligan pulled out of Adelaide Writer's Week at the same time as two hundred authors pulled out in support of director Louise Adler. That was after the board of the Writer's Week canceled in appearance by pro Palestinian academic Randa Abdelfhatar. Editorial director Gavin Fang said that that wasn't in any way an endorsement of Randa Abdelfhatar. That's an interesting interpretation, isn't it. Do you think Sarah Henderson bought that?
Speaker 3: Senator Henderson, very very intelligent lady. I don't think she's bought that for a minute, and I don't think anyone's bought it. Gavin Fang shouldn't be trying to sell it.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 3: Hundreds of authors also pulled out. I think if you asked them, they'd say, yeah, we'll support in it. That's what we were doing. So it just seems like very weird argument to suggest No, no, everyone else was supporting our guys. We just decided not to turn up to Adelaide.
Speaker 1: Hugh Mars has been in the chair at the ABC for a year and he came into the job at a time when one of the big controversies was top tier talent of the ABC expressing personal opinions on social media. Now, this is a tough one for media organizations because many of them actively encourage journalists to be on social media promoting their yarns being part of the conversation. ABC journal has found a very receptive audience for their opinions, particularly on X and have continued just expressing themselves very frankly, what's your understanding of what Hugh Marks actually thinks about that issue and do you think he's made any inroads in getting them to stick to the party line, which is don't have an opinion.
Speaker 3: Well, he has made some inroads. We've seen it be wound back already to some extent, and he's reinforcing the strict guidelines around that. But it's different for the ABC than most media organizations. So for us, you know, if we want to share an opinion, that's a matter for our employers and us to discuss. You know, i'd like to say this or this is what my stance is when it comes to the ABC. Their employers are all of us, so they can't have that conversation. You know, I think this. I want to be actively supporting this matter in my role as an ABC journalist. So they're not going to get a consensus sign off from the Australian public. That's why there are strict rules. It's all going to be impartial, no bias, no opinion. You're there to do a job. You're effectively a public servant and it's an important role that they've got. But they've got to remove that activism.
Speaker 1: Another story you're breaking in the media diary today, Jacko, is about an on the road staush between a reporter and a cameraman. Now you and I have both spent a lot of time on the road reporting.
Speaker 2: It gets tense. There's confined quarters.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you might be sharing a hotel room or at least eating every single meal together from dawn till dusk.
Speaker 2: It's natural for tempers to fray.
Speaker 1: What happened in the rural New South Wales town of Lake Carjelligo when a seven crew was there reporting on the disappearance of someone who's accused of murder.
Speaker 3: Seven News reporter Inga Nielsen and cameraman Finn Hawkins, who are actually really good friends or at least they were up until two weeks ago. Have turned up in town to realize there's only one room for them because they've come with the rest of the Sydney media pack. Obviously, as you say, that's really close quarters. A lot of pressure on the story, chasing down the best angles each day, and tensions have grown and tempers have flared, and look, they've shared more than a room. They've ended up sharing some frank and very honest feedback with each other about what they think about certain things, and they're approached covering the story, and unfortunately for them, it's been caught on hot mic and on camera, not just their own, but everyone's as they were setting up for a press conference. Now you can imagine as this vision's being fed back. It's been sent around to all the networks and onto diaries in box, so everyone is seeing what that interaction is like, and it's ugly.
Speaker 2: Listen, you still an Arseholewise, there are a lot of expletives.
Speaker 3: But that said, it's probably not in the top ten blow ups I've had on the road with reporters while I was working in television this year at Stake. Here is quite often there's a rule what happens on the road, stays on the road. That's what happened here. They've come back and it's ended up in the HR office. Now there's a whole heap of very serious allegations and accusations being flown around. HRS involved, Lawyers have become involved, and all of a sudden, what was an embarrassing hot mike moment has become what I fear is going to be a legal battle.
Speaker 1: It comes back again to social media, doesn't it. Apparently the source of the dispute was that Finn Hawken's the cameraman, shared an innocent, happy snap on Instagram, noting that he and the reporter in gan Nielsen were going to have to share a hotel room. That prompted, of course, because it's social media, some discus in comments from people who read a sexual allusion into that. You can sort of see how it got hot quite quickly, can't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And look, to be honest, they both post up for that photo. They thought it was fun. They put it up together. But you know, you can't always moderate what. Let's face it, a bunch of idiots are sometimes going to say on social media about what you put out there. It's one of those problems where you know, you make a joke and all of a sudden it gets out of hand, it gets out of control, and unfortunately it looks like it's cost these two people their friendship, and let's just hope it doesn't cost them their jobs.
Speaker 2: Coming up more of my conversation with Steve Jackson Jacko.
Speaker 1: One of the things I love about the Media Diary is that it's a bit of an equal opportunity tickle up. You often have items about every single media organization in a row, and then they're all left wondering who you're really having a go out. They're all complaining to you that you're unfairly targeting them. This week, you've got an item about nine Radio, which has recently been bought by the pub baron Arthur Lorndy and his son Craig. They're going to come in with a new broom. I would suspect to nine Radio and the current management who are in there now have found themselves in a bit of a hot mess over trying to organize a party to celebrate a significant milestone.
Speaker 2: What's gone wrong?
Speaker 3: Look, The Continuous Call Team is one of the most successful shows on nine Radio's Talkback Network, it's syndicated nationally. It's a big deal and having a big bash to celebrate it reaching a big milestone, it's fortieth anniversary. Unfortunately, somehow they've accidentally forgotten on purpose to invite the guy who started the show and led.
Speaker 2: It for much of its time.
Speaker 3: It hasn't gone down very well with many of the people who work on that show, and suffice to say, I don't think it'll go down well with him either.
Speaker 1: Can't wait to read all about it, Jackson, Thank you very much, Thank you for having me on. Steve Jackson is The Australian's Media diary editor. You can check out all his scoops right now at the Australian dot com dot au