Speaker 1: My name is Mike Boris, and I've teamed up with Stake, one of Australia's top investing platforms, to talk about going public. IPOs are exciting milestones that unlock new capital, draw more attention, and open up opportunities, but a lot happens before and after the trading bill rings, and it's not all glamour. Join me in Canada conversations with prominent business leaders as we reveal all the ups and downs of getting a private company listed. Hey guys, just before we start this podcast, I have to make a disclaimer. I, through one of my family companies, is an investor in the Train outa entity that is listed on the NYAC. So I am an investor, but it's not going to change the way I approach this. Nick Langton, welcome to a going public mate. Thank you Marcus and made its fantastic here because I sort of remember back in the mental days, how many years ago is a pre COVID that's for sure. Your business, which you and others founded, was called Whimp.
Speaker 2: To Warrior W two W a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, changed the name appropriately, I think to train Alta Alta you were, well, do you go back and tell me, how where the idea came from?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so how many years ago to this is going back a fair way. So you know, I got back involved training martial arts in my late thirties. I'd done it as a kid, came back to it. There was actually a program that was founded called Wimp to Warrior, and the whole idea was it was actually created originally as a potential reality TV platform. The idea that you take forty men and women have never trained before, trained them for six months and let them compete in amateur mma, and which is kind of a really bold and exciting and unique concept. But what I found going through the program, and I.
Speaker 2: Was working at Perpetual.
Speaker 3: I was running a division of Perpetual at the time, and so had a kind of a young family and a white collar job.
Speaker 2: But I got back into the.
Speaker 3: Gym in the mornings and trained really hard. Obviously you have to in preparation for competing and for fighting. But what I found was how much I enjoyed being back in the gym, not just for the work you were doing. What I was learning about the sport, reconnecting with it. Having done a lot of judo as a kid and kind of kind of rediscovering how much fun I had role modeling for my three sons, who this is going back sort of over ten years ago, and they just started their jiu jitsu journey. So from my perspective, it was what it showed me was actually training in combat sports martial arts. I found it a lot stickier in terms of how much I wanted to do it. And I think we often talk about the fact that fitness is fad based, but sport is evergreen. If it's a practice or a past time, you know, it doesn't it's not like you churn through. You know, we all know there's all sorts of different fitness brands that come and go, and maybe they're on short cycles or long cycles, but ultimately they.
Speaker 2: Come and go. But sport is far more enduring.
Speaker 3: And I thought to myself, like the product inside a martial arts gym. You know that the care of the coach is technical instruction, the community of people you train with. It's a remarkable product, but maybe the wrapping paper isn't that great in terms of how it's presented to the market.
Speaker 2: And that was kind of an epiphany for me.
Speaker 3: So I invested in the original concept of the business, which you know at the time was programs and you know, potentially a nonscripted TV see is. But what it kind of morphed into and when I decided to leave my corporate life at the end of twenty sixteen was I'm like, Okay, this actually has legs in terms of martial arts is growing massively in popularity. The growth of the UFC has been absolutely stunning. There's huge interest in how to get started, but there's no easy consumer on ramp in terms of how would I do that? And my epiphany was, Okay, if there's will now they say six hundred and forty million fans of MMA, how could we convert those fans to participants? And how could we leverage globally this wonderful inventory of coaches and gyms that already exist and funnel those customers into them to train and learn and do programs. And so that was the genesis of it back at the end of twenty sixteen early twenty seventeen, when I came out to do this full time, I kind of invested in the concept back in twenty third team, but when I decided, hang on, I'm going to take a big bet here and leave my corporate life. That was on the belief that there was a huge opportunity in this sports vertical around the transition from fandom to participation.
Speaker 2: And that's when it started.
Speaker 3: And I think maybe five months after I started that journey, I came in and had my first chat to you on the Mentor podcast in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: I was twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: It was that was the first time we we brought up.
Speaker 1: So at that time, who were your founding partners shoholders, et cetera, and sort of what was the structure we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we had there was originally me and another founder who was the guy who created the program. You know, really passionate, talented martial arts coach, but a guy who really was focused on the coaching element and enjoyed the transformation that could provide to people in their lives. I suppose I came in with a view number one that sort of the consumer lens going, this has really wide applications, but how could we scale this? How could this be something valuable? And then I think our big break was at the end of twenty sixteen early twenty seventeen, John Cavanaugh, who's conor McGregor's coach for a lot of years now. You know, John had run this program in his gym in Ireland and it had been really successful in terms of getting a very different type of member into his gym, typical middle class families who now wanted to found a pathway to train, as opposed to the next Conor MacGregor wanna bees who don't really want to pay their fees and whatever, and so so John came on board as a co founder, gave the business obviously enormous credibility from a standpoint of his profile, but importantly he started talking about what it did for him as a small business owner. And I think a lot of people assume just because he coaches Connor that he's got it made in the shade. Well, he's still got a business to run, you know, he's still got five six hundred members of a gym in Dublin. Yeah, he's got a big pro fight team as well. But the profile team doesn't pay the bills. So it was really John getting out there and starting to tell the world with his platform about what we did. And then that was an opportunity to really look at fast tracking the business to say okay, so now we've got this notoriety, now people have.
Speaker 2: Heard about us.
Speaker 3: What we really focused on is the next phase of growth. You've got to do that through technology. So how do we scale this from IP and a brand and a payments platform, which is where we were at the start. How do you scale that into a sort of more enduring technology and an investment thesis that will get institutional investors to come on board. So in the early stages, I was raising money my network. Obviously, having twenty plus years in investments and financial services, I had a really good network.
Speaker 1: I should disclose that I was one of those early investors. So I should disclose let's call the conflict if there is such a thing in this discussion, But I was one of the early investors. So you raise some money is like your I don't know, first round. I don't know what they call it these days. Everyone's got a different terminology. But that was your sort of first round. But you need to raise money. You need capital to take it to the next strategic level and correct because ultimately you identified good brand, good concept, good thesis, rising tide. People around the world love MMA. BFC was a bigger part of that. But purpose you go train with a purpose. Correct, there's an outcome. But I think the really important thing that I like that you identified is this has got to be a technology play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's sport tech. I don't know what you want to call it. Is it a word for it?
Speaker 3: It's you know, I mean we kind of traverse a number of different elements there that there's obviously there's there's IP branding, there's marketing and promotion, so there's content publishing in that regard. Our payments architecture.
Speaker 2: Is at the core of it.
Speaker 3: Like you know, part of our value proposition to JIM owners was we'll bring in new customers and we'll also take care of it.
Speaker 1: Could you explain it? I think it's really important to make sure. So let's let's pick an example. What train El does today does a lot of things, but at that level, at the gym owner level. Yes, identify a JIM owner, Let's profile him or her a little bit and then tell me what your tech does and what training does for that gym owner and for the consumer who who subscribes to it.
Speaker 3: Ye. Of course, So from a gym owner's perspective, they've got the opportunity to sign a license with us so they can run an outer program. Our value proposition to them is to say, look, we're not going to charge you assent for the license up front. You know, you sign the t's and c's, you get access to the syllabus and the training. You're going to help us co promote your series, but we're gonna we're going to market to get a program on the mats in your gym.
Speaker 1: Tell us about the syllables. Yes, and that's your that's your IP. That's sort of what you transfer to them for that license. So what's your syllabus?
Speaker 3: So the syllabus I think I mean, obviously i'm the business guy and I'm the guy who's who's trained, so I'm not a coach. But if I talk about the nature of the syllabus, and what I think the business has done really well over a lot of years, is it's created a syllabus that makes the entry point to training in combat sports and mixed martial arts as gentle and easy as possible. Now that kind of sounds paradoxical, right because it's you're going into a fight gym and learning to train. But I think the genius in the program in terms of how it was originally created, and then the subsequent refinements have been that the syllables put together like none of the coaches, there's nothing in it they haven't taught a hundred times, right, whether they're teaching an armbar from mount, whether they're teaching footwork when you're striking, whether they're teaching takedown off the cage or whatever they're they've taught that stuff a million times. What you find, particularly with beginners and first time is it's all about the sequencing of the training so people don't feel overwhelmed on a learning basis, because the hardest thing learning something new. It's kind of like if you went in and took a guitar lesson and in the first lesson your guitar teacher was trying to teach you to play the guitar like Eric Clapton, I think you'd feel pretty deflated, overwhelmed, overwhelmed, deflated, I'm not going to get this.
Speaker 2: This ain't for me.
Speaker 3: That's about yeah, correct, that's attrition. And I think sometimes in certainly in this sector, and I think it's probably potentially most, but sometimes coaches feel that the utility for the customer comes from how much like what's the value exchange, I e. How much if I give you more. The more I give you, the more value I'm providing. Whereas the consumer might be feeling overwhelmed and I'm not getting it.
Speaker 2: I'm a bit embarrassed to ask.
Speaker 3: So I think the genius in the syllabus that we've built and you know, we've put close to ten thousand people into their first amateur MMA fight in the last sort of seven odd years. Right, nobody in the world has done what we've done in terms of bring beginners to you know what is a pretty sort of challenging sport and space. But I think the genius in the syllabus is that it gives the coaches a model that if they follow that to the letter and follow the bouncing ball, that what they're going to get is sticky customers. And that's what we want. We want people to start, we want people to go to the end and finish if they choose to compete, which most of them do.
Speaker 2: You know, we run those live events.
Speaker 3: But more importantly then we want the customer to keep going with their learning journey. Now, maybe they decided I liked boxing the best, or maybe they decided I liked Jiu jitsu the best or whatever. That's another beauty of combat sports and martial arts is that you can really you can focus on the areas you.
Speaker 2: Like the most.
Speaker 3: And so that's that lifelong learning journey. And that's where you know, if we talk in investment terms, that brings really sticky lifetime value of customer attributes to the gym, to the gym, to the sector, right participants. I always say to my investors, if you want a real life story and lifetime value of customer, you look at Nick Langton, who's paid I don't know, over thirty grand of fees to our local jiu jitsu academy while you know my boys and variously I have trained there over the last decade. Well to a small business owner, that's a lot of money from one family. So and why is that because, particularly in the case my boys, they started a sport that they trained and loved and competed in for a lot of years.
Speaker 2: And they had a bunch of mates at the gym.
Speaker 3: And so that's where I really that's what we love about this sector that once you get customers over the hurdle, right, once they realize what a great gym is and what a great coach is they become really sticky, and you know you know that from you know all the training you've done with Larry.
Speaker 2: Right, It's not necessarily the easiest place to walk into. You could look a bit dawning.
Speaker 3: You could walk in at the wrong time and see a sparring session thing hot shit like totally, But once you're immersed in the gym community and culture there, you're.
Speaker 2: Not going to leave that and go back to a boot camp in the park. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: And so your thesis, Nick, is that it's much more complicated than this. Your thesis is that train aw to provides syllabus, it also provides assistance and or marketing content for the gym owner to recruit. I don't know, twenty or thirty people, train them up for how long is it a half year?
Speaker 3: It's twenty weeks, one hundred lessons for the primary program, which is our Warrior training program. Yes, and then for them to be stay members of ALTA and keep training in their gym.
Speaker 1: And pay fees program correctich they might not have had in the past. They might not have had any of these people in the past. It gives the MMA person in the in the gym a program to follow, so it's consistent. It's a consistent program, so it's not changing every week. He doesn't have to make a decision what he's going to do tomorrow morning. It's all set out for him or her. And then they take these people through and at the end of twenty weeks you put on an event trying to train. Alter puts on an event where these individuals have a choice if they wanted to compete or not, and someone goes as there must be a matchmaker in there. Someone says, well, you can fight this person, yeah, girl, girl, boy or whatever it is. And they invite their friends and family and they all get up.
Speaker 2: There and have a time.
Speaker 3: Kind of a big sold our crowd, you know, last big one we had in Sydney Roundwick Race Course, a thousand people sitting at fine dining tables watching.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's the ultimate kind of white collar mma.
Speaker 3: It's kind of the ultimate sort of bucket list in style experience. And so that's the that's the trojan horse, that's the piece of friction that creates excitement around how to get involved in the sector. But what at the central to our value proposition is we're saying to gym's we're going to bring in new customers.
Speaker 2: We're going to help you with your marketing.
Speaker 3: We're going to bring payments infrastructure that makes you don't have to worry about collections.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: We do all of that and you pay them back to the gym. We keep our split repay to them, and you do the marketing correct in conjunction with them. So we leverage our content. We ask them to record content. They publish stuff on their socials, publish it on ours, We boost it where we need to. We build landing pages for them, all that kind of stuff to make sure we can capture and on board the members. Collect deposits and say, okay, day one of your program. Here's a cohort of people who want to come in and train with you for twenty weeks.
Speaker 2: Look after him.
Speaker 3: Here's the syllabus, and what you find in the sector. And again, you know, you know, in martial arts and combat sports it can sometimes it appears, you know, some of the owners, coaches, whatever, they can kind of appear a little bit like rough diamonds. In reality, it is one of the most nurturing and caring sectors.
Speaker 2: And so we know when we partner with a gym.
Speaker 3: They're going to look after the people we put on.
Speaker 1: Their mats and you and now to do all this, there's a big piece of technology sitting in the middle of it, which you know. To be honest with that, gim under doesn't really need to know about it, just as long as it works. But a big part of your business is technology. I mean, for me, I see your business as a tech business more than anything else business, and therefore you need to raise more money. So just take me through the rounds that you've been through. I think I've been through two rounds, so there's a couple. There's a few rounds involved. So just take our listeners through the process of how you as our next investment banker guy like you know this area backwards.
Speaker 2: And you know.
Speaker 1: You have some interesting names who are investors as well. To take me through the rounds. How to go through the rounds, and probably more importantly than just stop before we get to the listing on the New York Stock Exchange, which is unbelievable for an Australian ensity to do that. Not too many Australians do that. Proud, you should be proud. That's a big deal. It is, and it's an arduous course. I mean, my god, that's worse than fighting all the top UFC fighters one half the other.
Speaker 2: That's what I do. Like, I'm sure it did so over a number of years.
Speaker 1: But just on me through the early raises and then then just just just stop before we get to the NYC.
Speaker 3: Yeah sure, so Yeah, like all businesses, we scaled up, we wanted to obviously grow our revenues. We wanted to prove out our unit economics, we wanted to invest in growth.
Speaker 2: We also had.
Speaker 3: Because we had the opportunity to sign big names in other regions, you know, like John like Eugene Bhman coming on City Kickboxing.
Speaker 2: From New Zealand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know when we originally signed the guys at TriStar in Montreal, these were really big name gyms. And so, you know, a pure let's say, a consultant or accountants talking to us and saying, well, why are you now operating in multiple tax jurisdictions and why are you making multiple currencies and this is just making everything too complex, And I agree it certainly did when the business is subscale, but you have to take advantage of those opportunities when they arise, like those big names want to get involved, so you find a way, and so to that extent, then we're like, okay, we need to fund the growth.
Speaker 2: We've got some big names on board.
Speaker 3: I did an initial round, let's call it, in twenty eighteen, where I'd obviously invested a lot of my money, and also for the first several years, you know, I worked without any taking any money out of the business, which you have to do as a founder. You can't ask for investment money and then start saying, well, I'm going to take a commercial service, give it to It's bullshit, but they won't give it to nor should they, nor should they. So from our perspective, I raised the first year. So twenty seventeen was critical in that I needed to see that there was enough spark that we were going to get somewhere. So I kind of funded the business for the first twelve months completely, and then it was like, if I'm going to take money, I want to take it from trusted people in my circle, who are sophisticated investors, who can cut six figure checks, who know exactly what they're getting themselves into. They know the risks of investing in startups and private companies. And once I took that first check, you know, from a mate who again really sophisticated investor, and I'm not worried that if he lost that money he'd be on the bones of his ass or anything. But at the same time, it was almost worse than having my own money in And I think that was when I realized that, Okay, like we go until we either make it or it falls apart, and I've done everything with him a power because you know, I once heard a you know, somebody said that raising capital, raising capital is just creating obligations, and you know, from from my perspective, I felt those obligations, but I felt the benefit of them.
Speaker 2: Was it on the really tough days, I could look at the.
Speaker 3: People who'd invested in me and believed in what I thought I could do and pushed forward.
Speaker 2: So that was that was kind of easy. We went through through that phase.
Speaker 3: I was able to probably raise some bigger checks than if I look back on it now, I'm like, how the hell did I do that?
Speaker 2: But I had a core group of people who believed in me.
Speaker 3: So let's say that was kind of twelve investors who all cut six figure checks. And then the next step after that was in twenty nineteen, we were like, well, we've got a following and people know about us and all that. Could we leverage that for some money through through crowd equity, and so we actually raised some money through a platform called Burtual. I'd say that I originated the overwhelming majority of the money. But what it did was a couple of things. It enabled us to take on more investors than you typically can as a PTY limited so smaller checks. Yeah, so it gives you. It sort of gave us a framework to be able to do that. So we picked up some money there and got you know, obviously a bigger retail investor following, and then you go through phases like that literally happened in mid to late twenty nineteen, and the business then we'd done four years in a row of doubling our revenue, so so triple digit revenue growth year on year for four years in a row, and we were absolutely flying coming into March of twenty twenty and then we know what happened and the wa and Gym's closed, And that was when we did realize the utility of being a payment's hub, so we could we had all this money that people had prepaid for training.
Speaker 2: And no one knew back then, how long are we are we going to be stopped? You know what?
Speaker 3: They say, what was that bullshit? Two weeks to flatten the curve? You know, they're still telling us that shit two years later. So and I say that with a bit of passion because I spoke to so many small business owners during that period, and I think a lot of people don't understand how hard that period was for you know, for small business.
Speaker 2: Some flourished, but a lot of them did it.
Speaker 1: People facing businesses, Yep, did it really tough.
Speaker 3: So that happened, and then there was a case of Okay, we'd shown a lot of traction, We'd got our annual revenues to seven figures, we'd shown really good growth, the sector is booming now COVID's happened. And so then it was a case of going, Okay, we need to stabilize, we need to work out a pathway through. I'm going to have to do a recap you know later in the you know, in twenty twenty. Thankfully I was able to then, you know, do a round which i'd kind of call my series A.
Speaker 2: I get a bit caught up.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not as OFAI with all the noenclature as the young kids who know startups these days. But that was what we'd kind of call our Series A, which was the end of twenty twenty early twenty twenty one. So we then kept building the business, investing in our tech, you know, really building scale so that you know, as soon as we could prove out the next phase of growth, then we could go for the big check. So the Series A which we raised about I think we raised about six million bucks ozzie or something like that.
Speaker 2: And then that was early twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: One, and then you know, we remember by mid twenty twenty one, then Australia got shut down again for another you know, sort of six months in terms of businesses, gyms, what have you.
Speaker 2: And then you know, we went through a process.
Speaker 3: Of iterating, growing, continuing to grow our footprint, prove out our thesis, built out our unit economics. I think an advantage we had mark as a startup we were always selling something early we never had We never came from that startup ethos of give something away for free, get a huge mass of huge amount of users and then workout monetization. We started at the other end, we were charging for a premium product that we were licensing to gyms and putting in the gyms.
Speaker 1: But they needed it.
Speaker 2: They needed it, and I think a real advantage to us.
Speaker 3: At least we could always sit down with investors and show them an income statement.
Speaker 2: We had millions of dollars of revenue.
Speaker 3: Now, did we have losses, absolutely, as we invested in our tech to grow, But at least investors could always see, Okay, there's real union economics here. You know, these real customers paying good amounts of money for this.
Speaker 2: The gyms love it.
Speaker 3: Okay, we get to prove a concept, yeah, well and truly and proved it in multiple markets in North America, proved it in UK Island, proved it in Australia, New Zealand, so you know, over thousands and thousands of customers. So you go, okay, so this works. Now we want to get the capital to really scale it. And that's when we ran into the middle of twenty twenty two and private markets just froze. I remember being actually away. It was the June Long weekend in twenty twenty two. We'd shaken hands with a couple of investors who were going to basically close our round for us. These were material checks. I think totally about five to six million bucks. I was out at Orange for a state rugby championships with my youngest I'm out there going like I've just closed my around, so excited about the next phase of growth. The market's absolutely capitulated overnight on on the Monday in the US, and within two days those two investors pulled their investment. You know, they got call you know, they got margin calls from prime brokers, whatever the case may be, and we suddenly went old shit where we're really stuck here and like all like every startup that scarred their way to these they've all gone through it, right, it's not unique to us. It feels really unique in personal at the time. But you know you have to you have to battle on.
Speaker 2: And we did. We we you.
Speaker 3: Know, scraped and scratched, and all our key staff got in behind us and helped us with our cash burn and just could not have been more supportive because we were just so close. And then thankfully we found our partnership with some guys down in Melbourne from a group called Reach Markets, who are actually fantastic. They raised around for us at the end of twenty twenty two and twenty twenty two was brutal for raising money into private companies, So kudos to the guys at Reach Markets and that was literally the bit of money we needed to get to the next phase. And then we got introduced to our US investment bank, which is the start of the listing story.
Speaker 1: So you originally you were going to, as I recall, you're going to list on the NASDAK. Yeah, I think at one stage anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was notionally we're going to list in the Obviously we're a microcap company, so we're going to list in the US. Technology companies are immediately associated with the NASDEK. But then you know, we're talking to our bankers and our lawyers and they said, you know, the NYC is really worth a look too, and so you kind of go through this pro s where you go and meet both of them, you take advice from your bankers, and you kind of work out which is the best fit for you. Obviously they're both incredible exchanges, and I suppose as well, part of the fact that you know, the ny C with all its history, it felt pretty special to sort of go there and meet those people. And then also knowing that that's where ultimately the UFC is a listed company through t KO on the on the n y C. So there's just a whole range of reasons that ended up bring them and which was great.
Speaker 1: So just teamed me through this part. You mentioned very quickly then your advisors, lawyers and bankers. How does you go about putting a team like that together to get set up on the NYC, the New York Stock Exchange? Did you look up the who to go to? I mean with your process, man, how did you find the bankers and the advisors?
Speaker 3: That all starts with having great investors here in Australia, So you've got you've got knockdowns.
Speaker 1: Someone said, go and see this person is that.
Speaker 3: We got introed in, and actually we got introed in. And then my chairman Vaughan Taylor, you know Vaughn Well, Vaughn then was on a trip for a company that he sits on the board of. He had the first chat with the bankers, a group in the US cooled think Equity, fantastic guys to work with. They were really interested in getting to know us a bit more. I jumped on a bunch of phone calls with them, and they're like they saw it straight.
Speaker 1: Away, like they saw the rising tide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they saw the thesis.
Speaker 3: They saw this incredible growth in combat sports, they saw the rampant success of the UFC, and they saw an opportunity to aggregate the sector at scale from it from a small company. So from us, listing is about this. I actually kind of I joked to my wife after we after we listed, I said, it took me seven years to get to the starting line, Like, this isn't a capital event for us. This is the start of what our real growth story will be, which is enormously exciting. But we were so lucky Mark that I've had great investors here in Australia who were always looking to and you've done it for me too, give me advice, make intros. And as a founder you have to lean on your.
Speaker 1: Investors unashamably too.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, if you're working your ass off, they know you're doing the absolute best to protect their capital.
Speaker 2: And good investors of.
Speaker 3: Which I've got a lot, have really opened a ton of doors. But as a founder you have to stay active. They're all ridiculously busy people. You're a particular example of that. But if you text them, and half I say, I'll come and see you. Can I buy your coffee if you've got fifteen minutes. It is a contact sport. You have to stay busy.
Speaker 2: Normally they'll say yes. They will say yes.
Speaker 1: Normally they'll say yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that was how we got introduced in And then you know, as I say, we started working with bankers who were kind of trusted and known to people within our close circle. And then they introduced us to some great securities lawyers who have been awesome to work with and get to know over the last twelve months. And you know, and then we had had our own team, our own staff here who had to work so incredibly hard to get through all the filings and all the iterations of the filings. And I mean, I'm the talking here who goes out and sells the vision, which I do passionately because I bloody love it and I'm super excited about where we're taking this company too. But what's not lost on me is there's an incredible team behind me who were doing a lot of the far less glamorous work right to get to get to listing.
Speaker 2: And so you do, you do.
Speaker 3: Nine months of work to uplift all your financials go through ridiculous levels of order, all the stuff that you.
Speaker 1: Have to otherwise called due diligence, because and your advisors have to do or help you participate in the due diligence alongside you, because they're sort of putting their name to it a little bit, because they're putting it out to other people to invest in the business. Correct, So could you maybe just give us a sense of how long did it take you to get this process up? Did you have to actually and importantly a lot of people don't know this, but you have to spend a lot of time in the US. Yes, it's not and you know it sort of means you're away from your family. You've got two sons at school. They're still a school, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three boys at school.
Speaker 1: Three boys at school, right, and I know very close to me, and obviously your wife is here as well, and you ordinarily have pretty involved in what they do, the footy players and and all that stuff. That's a big sacrifice. I mean, I think that partner needs a big we need to talk about that league, that commitment to spend a lot of time overseas talking shop and then who runs an Australian deal, like who's actually doing BAU the business as usually?
Speaker 3: I mean I've got a great leadership team who they run it independent of me. I mean I sit on our most mornings, I sit on our morning whip where our exec team talks about our absolute priorities for the day, the week, whatever.
Speaker 2: From a management style basis.
Speaker 3: I've always been like, find great people, make sure they understand the goals in a really explicit way, but then how they go about executing that. If you found the right talent that they will find their way. They can come back to you if they want clarity or they want to understand something, so they do run They do run the business right Like my job obviously has been you know, corporatizing the can't me raising capital, finding great talent. You know, I've got a very you know, I've got a very passionate view on the investment thesis of the company, and I do get involved in you know kind of you know, decisions around strategy, even short term tactics, whatever the case may be. But it is the team in the offices running the business day today.
Speaker 1: And you're and you're you're how how do you go bad? Saying to your family. Listen, I've got to spend a lot of time over the next fine months in the US. I mean, what's that process look like before we list.
Speaker 3: You say, do you like living in this house? Do you like going to the school you go to? No, it's one of those things that because I've been doing the startup thing since the beginning of end of twenty sixteen, beginning of twenty seventeen. So my twin sons are about to turn eighteen, my youngest is about to turn sixteen, they only have really vague memories of when dad used to put on a suit and go to work five days a week in the CBD. They really they're they're enduring memories of me is a startup founder, hunched over a laptop at the kitchen table, probably more stress than he wants to appear. All those things so as an evolution, So they watched you evolve into this person des nearly like, oh, well that's the next step. Dad's got to go, and we expect that's what we sort of expect. Yeah, very much like I would say, it was massive excitement from the whole family that Okay, you've got to be away a lot, but you're pursuing something a pretty ambitious goal, a big dream.
Speaker 2: Can we get there?
Speaker 3: And to your earlier question, mark like, from the I think we did it about as quick as you.
Speaker 2: Can do it.
Speaker 3: From the moment we signed the mandate agreement with our investment bank to the day we listed, I think it was like just under maybe a couple of days under eleven months, so call it eleven months a bit less.
Speaker 2: And because at the start.
Speaker 3: I think when we sign the mandate later and we were like, okay, so how quick can this be done? And they see, well, we've seen it done in six months, But that's a push. I can honestly say now, I could not imagine we could have got it done any faster. And that is testament to our professional services firms we work with, but most importantly the staff, my staff who helped drive that process.
Speaker 1: So how important in the process of talking to your investment bankers, particularly before we get the mandate, But how important is it to sort of, you know, throw in those sexy things like yeah, you know Daniel Cormier, yep, Connor McGregor there. I mentioned his name at this on this podcast. Obviously we talked about Eugene earlier on and John Cavanaro as well. How important is it to throw those things around just a little bit a spice into the fire.
Speaker 2: Look, it is important.
Speaker 3: I mean if you if you're if you're working with the biggest names in the sport. If the biggest name in the history of the sport, Connor is an early stage investor in your business, yeah, of course, that's validation.
Speaker 1: What does it do?
Speaker 2: It is validation.
Speaker 1: But let's let's let's not assume that he's a great business person, although he's a good business person, but let's assume he's just like any other fighter who's got some money.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: That's sizzil part. I mean, we always talk about sizzling stakers. However, that's that is important. So I think if you're running one of these programs, it doesn't matter where it is, but having some cred or people of cred gives you cred or gives a concept of thesis crede of course.
Speaker 3: So what does it do for the bankers, Well, it validates that when you say your partnered with the biggest names in the sport, that that is real. Right, When you say you run your programs with the best gyms in the world, that is real when you say you've demonstrated these unit economics over thousands of participants over a lot of years, and then it comes out in the financial statements that is real.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's the kind of.
Speaker 3: The d D they do at the start to go, okay, this is a listable business because all these elements are you know, are real. And of course then when bankers are thinking about how do I get cut through with a story, right, with a story about a growth company that's going to be a microcap that we feel investors will understand the thesis and then they want to get behind it. So I often say, how the investment thesis of the company is convert six hundred and forty million fans to participants. But I think another way to think about us, particularly now that we're in training in public markets, is I want to convert six hundred and forty million fans of MMA into people who want to own a share in the growth of this sector. Well, that's a that's a compelling proposition. So if you want to get the attention of retail investors, let's use Connor for an example. Alta is the only company that a retail investor can invest alongside Connor in the other companies are.
Speaker 2: All private proper twelve.
Speaker 3: You know that forged Irish Stout, you know, he's apparel Company's McGregor fast, all those things, they're all privately held.
Speaker 2: This is the deal.
Speaker 3: Whereas you go, okay, if we accept the fact that everything that guy touches turns to gold, which it does, then if you want to invest alongside him, well, come and invest in Alta. If you believe in the growth of MMA over the next decade, come and invest in Alta. So from a banker's standpoint, that's a compelling story to take to market. So investors, you know, get cut through and hey, I get that. That's a story I could get on board and follow. That's the I think that's one of the real advantages. And then people say to us, like, you know, you've gone public so early. Going public is really expensive, it's very owner for companies of your size. All this is true. I'm not disputing any of that. My answer to that is there's also more if you can get public. There are better pools of capital available in public markets. There are far deeper pes in the US, especially in the US, and investors have been favoring liquidity for the last few years, right, That's.
Speaker 1: What you mean by that, though, was investors that would rather invest in a list identity where they could buy and so whatever the price is, as opposed to investing in a private endy where they're sort of stuck a little bit r.
Speaker 2: Capital is locked up.
Speaker 3: And so for us, that was one of the big drivers. Having a great investment bank who've got a track record of scaling companies from our size to significantly larger them wanting to take us public that was.
Speaker 2: Another big reason. And then probably the other reason is.
Speaker 3: That I think when you're a company like ours that has so many big names involved and has a great global footprint and works with all these you know, these star gyms, coaches and athletes, you do have a story that resonates and cuts through for retail investors. So you could argue that you're going to realize a lot more value in your company, your.
Speaker 2: Brand, your notoriety when retail.
Speaker 3: Investors can invest in you and they can buy shees in your company on public markets than if it was closed and it was private. And yeah, it was minimum check size of fifty grand, and you've got to satisfy all sorts of wholesale investor provisions to be able to get access. So that's another reason why it made a lot of sense for us to go public.
Speaker 1: At the stage we did in terms of marketing, and I don't mean marketing to retail investors as such, but marketing it to the investment bankers who are going to support it so that it can go to retail investors. How important is it to Pepper or maybe a better word is to balance your front of house with female female talent. And I don't mean that in terms of technical talents technical talent. I do mean that, but I'm talking about at.
Speaker 2: The front end.
Speaker 1: Right you go, Conor McGregor, Daniel call me out, But like what about the front I mean, who did you go out after and how does that process work? How do you find these individuals? If you did find an individual a female to balance up the outlook?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean three years ago we signed we bought Laura Sanko into the business as one of our first big US brand ambassadors. Laura commentates on the UFC. In fact, she commentated on the UFC that you and I were together at in Sydney, one of the big pay per views. She's the first woman to have commented on a UFC pay per view in like, well over twenty five years or something like that. She's one of the UFC's top broadcaster as analysts. She's a former pro fighter, she's in a forty, she's a mom.
Speaker 1: How do you approach someone like that? I mean, how did you get her to come on board? So to speak?
Speaker 2: On the story? I mean look through our.
Speaker 3: Networks, right, so you know, classic example, one of our long term PR guys in la Zach Rosenfield, who's become a great mate over the years. Zach also happens to manage ate Nate Diaz legend. Yeah, and we've been so heavily tied into the sector at an elite level for a long time because we generated a lot of credibility through how we monetized gyms and so we were we were, we're we're a sector insider mark like that's and so how do we get to law Zach? Zach Newlawa's agent. He picked up the phone says, Hey, there's this company. They do really great things. They really want to, you know, focus on getting more and more women involved in training martial arts and combat sports. Her star was really on the rise, you know, three years ago, and we sat down and Zach Lawa and I had a conversation and then she told us a remarkable story about how her her training journey begins.
Speaker 2: She never intended to be a fighter. She she went to.
Speaker 3: Start training in the gym at a time she was kind of she'd come out of a bad breakup, she was lonely, she was just wasn't feeling herself, and she kind of just started training martial arts and somehow fell forward into ultimately being convinced to have an amateur fight that went on too, multiple amateur fights and ultimately some professional fights. So she said to me on our first conversation, Nick Olter, story is my story, Like this resonates with me, and I mean we've been working with her ever since.
Speaker 1: So the big the big deal and all this stuff too, by the way, is.
Speaker 2: All that stuff is good.
Speaker 1: Everyone's interested, everybody wants support. Of course, the valuation parts the big story, Lad, how do you arrive at evaluation for ALTA when you know you have to project forward what you wouldn't want to project forward? Your valuations they're going to be, you know, and the job of the bankers a lot of times is to sort of rs or you and get your price down or your value down or more respectable, more acceptable of the words, how do you go about that?
Speaker 2: How do you go about it? Yeah, so that's a that's a process you go through.
Speaker 3: I think ours was anchored in fundamentals, right, So if you look at two primary things that drives what we believe the valuation to be and why we looked Number one, some long term unit economics of producing millions of dollars of revenue and paying millions of dollars to gym owners around the world. So we had core unit economics that said, if we run out to programs in this number of gyms, this is gross revenue on a per gm basis. These are our margins on the customers that we that we bring on board. So we had kind of a really we had deep unit economics that said, Okay, as a banker, they go, okay, I get that. That's not You've done it in one or two locations, You've proven it broadly. So if we give you the fuel to grow, how quickly can you grow it? And then so then the other dimension in that is, well, what is your footprint? How many gyms have you got signed agreements with that they're ready to run your programs and take customers from you. And so then you get these kind of average unit economics with your gym footprint, and you get to us having an embedded revenue opportunity of fifty sixty million dollars, whatever the case may be. So then you go, Okay, if we don't sign another gym and we just execute on our plan, then there is a revenue opportunity of up to fifty sixty million dollars without growing your gym footprint anymore. Now, of course, we're going to continue to grow and do all these other things. So valuation was ultimately derivative of what is the opportunity as it exists today, and you know what proven unit economics of you guys displayed, and that ultimately, you know, then your factor in some some other factors, maybe you know, capital race today, valuation of previous rounds, that sort of all, you know, went up gently.
Speaker 2: You know, we raised you know that the.
Speaker 3: IPO was done at circa fifty million dollar valuation for the company. You know, the last time we raised money before that, the company was valued in the high thirties, early forties. So it was kind of just that kind of natural graduation as we proved out what we were doing.
Speaker 1: But you've got to keep fighting every every step of the way.
Speaker 2: You don't stop.
Speaker 1: And what is your ticker?
Speaker 2: It's the best ticky?
Speaker 1: What is it? M m m m.
Speaker 3: Well that's that's kudos to to one of our bankers in New York. We were talking about, you know, stock symbols, and I kind of naturally was, so, can we get ALTA or what could we I kind of just immediately went to something that was derivative of and he said, what about if we went for the sport mm A. And I'm like, well, I mean, surely that's been taken. He goes, well, it's worth a look. And so we went straight to our lawyers and then applied through the relevant channels and it came back clear, no, no, no, that's that's free.
Speaker 2: And then that was like the quickest response.
Speaker 3: Ever to an email now, and I will say a lot of investors and I was on investor calls early this morning in the US, like everyone says, my god, like that's stock ticker.
Speaker 2: That's just a killer.
Speaker 3: And again, when you think about us wanting to engage fans of m M A who love the way the sector is growing. Right, that's a pretty easy way is stock ticket get exposure. So so kudos to our to our bankers there.
Speaker 1: And with the capital that's raised, what did you tell your bankers et cetera what the purpose of the money is for? And a part of growth, I get it better acquisitions and have you done anything about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, so use of funds was specifically around obviously investment in marketing and growth to fund revenue growth, activating in the business, our gym footprint that you making a handful of key highs. Obviously, you know people who work in in startups a special people. If if you can stay working in startup for a long time, you've got tremendous resilience. And so you know, hiring a few extra people in to help out the team, which is great. And then we've looked at acquisitions on a strategic basis, so if it makes sense, i e.
Speaker 2: Can it add to can it accelerate revenue growth? Right?
Speaker 3: So are we acquiring an asset that might have a whole bunch of users, It could be an adjacent business that is really easy to kind of monetize that user base into our world. That would be a reason we would we would look at an act position or the other one is could the acquisition provide a bunch of utility that we can deploy to fast track our technology platform. So we made an acquisition that we announced last week a business called Hype, which is this incredible mobile marketing platform, you know, sort of CRM, website builder, payments, but all built mobile centric by some really really smart guys in the US. And we started talking to them because we wanted to become a customer and get exclusivity in our sector around what they did. But before we want, before we went to build expensive integrations and what have you to embed it, we got into deeper conversations and we got to a position where it actually made a lot of sense for their manned US that we could acquire them. And you know, that's fast tracking our tech roadmap by minimum twenty months, probably twenty four months. It's going to as a fortune in in tech Capex and we've picked up like a world class engineering team.
Speaker 2: So it's just win win win.
Speaker 1: And you're how important I mean when you're listed, I mean you've got a lot of currency, So how important is it in acquisitions? For example, being able to use your own currency, that is your stock, issuing stock or part stock by cash, or it can be all cash of course, or all stock. How important is that flexibility from being listed on the MYC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, that's it's huge when you can when the consideration for an acquisition can be your own stock. You know, cash is obviously precious at all times, and so we were fortunate Mark we were able to make We made some acquisitions late last year that were script based only, so just using our stock, no cash consideration, and made those acquisitions. Obviously those the people who sold had the hope that we would be successful in going public, which we were.
Speaker 2: So, Yeah, being able.
Speaker 3: To issue our own equity as consideration for those when it's a really highly aligned acquisition, it's enormously valuable.
Speaker 1: So how final question for it, mate, have you had a holiday since you started this journey in twenty forteen or whatever it was? I mean, and are you as excited today or are you more relieved as to are you as excited today as you were at the beginning of the journey or more relieved? Which one?
Speaker 2: It's gone through far?
Speaker 3: I am now as I sit here now, I am more excited than I've ever been. I did have a holiday, I did refresh, you know, I took sort of twelve days off.
Speaker 2: I would still I still thought about the business and what have you.
Speaker 3: But I said at the start mark, like for me, it feels like it took me seven years to get to the starting line, and this is just the beginning of what we're going to build in the incredible sports vertical, and so I feel more excited about where we're going.
Speaker 2: I do feel I do feel.
Speaker 3: Really relieved that we got there, and it was it was a really tough journey. But now yeah, like the rest of the team, we've finally got the resources we need. We're operating in a really big market again, the pools of capital in the US, it just it's just so much deeper. The sport has grown evolved and it's just so much more advanced there.
Speaker 2: So it really feels we've.
Speaker 3: Got the jet pack on now and yeah, that's that really makes it easy to get out of bed.
Speaker 2: In the morning.
Speaker 1: Nick Langton, CEO of AS it's still called Train Outer or it is just Outer now.
Speaker 2: Well, it's our global group.
Speaker 3: But the funny thing is that all our social handles are train Alter. Yeah, I see that, so everyone just calls es train outer.
Speaker 1: So I just want to say congratulations and well done. You know, I've made some investments, some things I've done so well, but this one I don't even looked at the share price. But just the fact that you got listened to the NYC and I was a small part of that.
Speaker 2: I feel so happy.
Speaker 1: It makes me really happy, and it makes me even happy to be able to talk to you many many years later on going public about the process of raising money and make you raise it at the ultimate place, the New York Stock Exchange.
Speaker 2: Yes, congratulations mate, Thank you. Mark