Speaker 1: All right, my name is Christine. I am the surviving sibling of David Phillips.
Speaker 2: David was the eldest of the two Phillips siblings. Their parents ran a small corner shop in the southeast Melbourne suburb of Mentone. David joined the police force, Christine became a nurse, so an average middle class family until nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 1: So it was May ninety three when we got a phone call from ethel Ball to tell us that David was under suspicion of murder.
Speaker 2: What ethel Ball, by the way, is at There's a second ex wife and Lachelle's mum.
Speaker 1: Not long after that I was at we I got a phone call from a detective Giles up the Townsville. C just questioned who I was and then asked me did I think he was capable of murder?
Speaker 2: This was just six weeks after les Ball had gone missing, and even then it seems police were already looking at David and for his sister Christine.
Speaker 3: The call was a shock.
Speaker 1: Well, we dropped, capite. I heard in my hand.
Speaker 2: She knew he had gotten involved in something that wasn't above board in his Melbourne policing days. She knew he could threaten violence. She knew he could even threaten to kill people, but actually murdering les, an innocent pensioner was a totally different accusation.
Speaker 1: Detective Giles asked me to keep a diary by the phone. I said, why, we haven't seen him or heard from the family for years. He said he will ring.
Speaker 3: You said that we won't, But the detective was right.
Speaker 2: David, who had little contact with his Melbourne family since moving to Queensland, did phone Christine and she needed that diary by the phone to make a record of her brief converse with him, and he.
Speaker 1: Said, don't hang up, it's me.
Speaker 2: So I hung up.
Speaker 1: Those big brothers don't tell little sisters what to do. So he rang back and I said, what the hell have you done? He said, what do you think? I don't know what toype answer that was. I said, what is going on? He said, I can't talk. He said, I'm being bugged and you're probably being bugged as well.
Speaker 3: I bugged.
Speaker 2: David meant he knew police were listening to his phone calls, so that police officer, when he called you, asked if you thought your brother was capable of.
Speaker 3: Murder thirty years on May, I ask you the.
Speaker 2: Same question, do you think your brother was capable of murder?
Speaker 3: Back then?
Speaker 1: Probably not, But having listened to everyone's stories over the thirty four years, who knows?
Speaker 2: It's important You know that Christine isn't completely convinced her brother murdered las, So when you hear what she's about to reveal, you understand that she's not out to try and make David look guilty. Because while Christine isn't sure if David murdered Laz, she knows that her brother was capable of violence. She saw it herself.
Speaker 1: I went up to Queensland to see the kids with a friend, a surprise visit. He was extremely extreme, annoyed that we didn't let them know they were coming. I just wanted to surprise the kids because we were very close, very close. We stayed in our motel, we went to visit the kids. There's a hole in the plaster wall?
Speaker 2: Is there all?
Speaker 1: What's happened here? Someone full now? I can't remember which one said it. So Daddy came home angry.
Speaker 2: But the most shocking example of David's potential for violence came in nineteen ninety two, a year before Les went missing. Christine was getting married and decided to do the right thing invite David and the Phillips family to her wedding.
Speaker 1: We sent out our wedding invitations. I sent there's eight weeks ahead. Give them the opportunity to say yea if they could afford it. Now they've got four daughters, my husband had a niece and nephew. I'm not keen on having flower girls, so I said, we won't have flower girls. So I let him know. I said, but every family child, it's going to have a special job. Had it all worked out, I told him that. So he received the invitation must have sparked something off in him.
Speaker 3: Christine was with her mum when the phone rang.
Speaker 1: And I could hear him verbally abusing so loud derogatory language and said, I will be down to shoot you all, Christine's fiance and the whole lot of you. He was extremely abusive, foul language and threatened to fly down and shoot us all on our winning day, every single one of us he goes.
Speaker 3: He threatened to fly down to Melbourne and.
Speaker 1: Shot you, yep, and everyone at the wedding. That's what I heard, he was screaming through the phone. I just took the phone offer. Yeah, she just stood there. She goes what just happened? I said, ignore it? Wow she was Then she met and vomited. I thought, if this kills her, I didn't know what I was going to do. It didn't because you're a strong lady. My father was shattered and we just I rang him back up, said the invitations null and boyd never want to see you again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, threatening to shoot your sister and all the guests at her wedding is shocking, but it's also so outlandish. It's tempting to dismiss what David said as an idle threat. But Christine and David shared a mutual friend, a man called Bob, and he didn't think David was joking. Bob decided to attend the wedding to protect Christine and her wedding guests in case David showed up.
Speaker 1: And I couldn't figure out why he was sitting at the back of the church because I actually told him what David said. So I said, for Bob, why'd you sit the back of the church.
Speaker 4: Bob responded by rolling up his trouserleg.
Speaker 1: He had a gun in his boot, anyally passing out. I said what the hell, and he goes, no one's going to ruin your day, and he said, I've got another one after the car seat.
Speaker 4: So he took David's threat pretty seriously, and he was going to protect you if needed, on your wedding day from your own brother.
Speaker 1: My parents were absolutely shattered.
Speaker 4: It can't be easy talking about your own late brother in this way. Why do you want it made public?
Speaker 1: Oh, I think just falz and for my parents. They went to heaven thinking that their son's a murderer and didn't have any answers. I'm actually doing it for them and Paul Ez.
Speaker 4: I'm Joe Townsend and I'm Callum Deness.
Speaker 2: This is perfect alibis exchanged.
Speaker 4: As you heard last episode. In twenty twenty three, Coroner Gallagher accepted Leanne's evidence that David's lying and violence only began after his stroke in nineteen ninety four, a whole year after Les went missing. Christine believes the coroner got that wrong. The coroner seemed to be of the opinion that David really only turned violent after his stroke. I wouldn't think so, but every story you've told us pre dates his stroke. Did the coroner get that right?
Speaker 1: Probably? Not, because if you weren't violent, why would you bring up and threatened to kill a family.
Speaker 4: In our interviews and in police audio, we've heard a chorus of people from different sides of the family describe David as a violent liar. Greatest liar about him found.
Speaker 5: To Yeah, he did have a temper, definitely intimidated by him.
Speaker 6: I heard him say, well, if you can't do anything, then break his knees were.
Speaker 7: Sitting in the largermen.
Speaker 5: I could hear him say on the phone call, We'll have to get rid of him.
Speaker 4: Right at the start of this podcast, we told you that we found clues that coroners and police missed and that we thought we could prove who murdered Les. So in this episode, we're laying out our case against David Phillips cal We've established that David was violent and a liar before his stroke. So let's start with when Les was last seen alive. The coroner found that was Sunday, the eighteenth of April, when David, Margaret, and the four kids left to visit display homes and family friend Tony Hoyer called by to find Lez, apparently setting off to catch the train to Brisbane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so In making that finding, Coroner Gallagher put aside Leanne' account of seeing Les in hospital, saying it didn't happen, but Leanne genuinely believed it did, and basically said that if you don't discount what Margaret, David and Tony said, then the eighteenth was the last sighting of Les alive.
Speaker 4: So we've proven David is a liar. We can strike his account out. What about Tony Hoyer?
Speaker 2: There's two problems with Tony's account, right. First, Tony was always crystal clear with police in nineteen ninety three that he had no idea what day it was that he saw Les, only that he thought it was a Sunday, and police in that first investigation and pretty much ever since, have just assumed that he was talking about the eighteenth of April. Okay, But in all the different versions of that day he's given in all the years since, the one thing that he's stuck to is that he has no idea what day this alleged sighting happened.
Speaker 3: Right. What's the second problem.
Speaker 2: Well, Tony said that Les was on his way to catch the train from Townsford to Brisbane. But what the coroner seems to have missed is that the train didn't run on Sundays, So that's inherently implausible.
Speaker 4: Can't have happened exactly. David's alibi was also quite clever because the kids often went to see display homes it occurred around Easter holidays, so by assuming this was the eighteenth, it suddenly looked like all three adults had the same story. But if you accept what Tony saw never happened on a Sunday, then the whole alibi falls apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this mistake has kind of haunted this case ever since. This assumption that Tony corroborated what David and Margaret were saying.
Speaker 4: Right, So if you strike that out, when was the last time Les was really seen alive?
Speaker 2: Right? So Les made a phone call one evening on Thursday, the fifteenth of April, to the Phillips house, and one of David Leanne's daughters and Les's granddaughter, Samantha, picked up the phone. She said her granddad sounded angry and wanted to speak to David. Now, she couldn't recall exactly what night it happened, except that her other sister, Rochelle, was still in hospital. Margaret also witnessed the call and said it happened on a Thursday night and that was when Rochelle was in hospital, So it corroborated what that other daughter, Samantha said.
Speaker 4: So we've got him on the Thursday exactly. But the coroner accepted David's account that the call happened the next night, on the Friday. They seem to have missed Margaret's statement then. And what's even weirder is that David actually didn't stick to his story. He later told police this call happened a whole week before.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I know it sounds like we might be getting into the weeds here, but it's actually really important because not only does this make that Thursday evening the last time Les was heard from alive, but we also think he was murdered that night, which will come to in a moment. But before we do that, we need to talk about money again. Police have always focused on the thirty one thousand dollars that Les transferredly in and when they interviewed her about this, she always sounded defensive.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we are aware that your father had leant you money.
Speaker 4: At his own free will. Next question, Okay, there's.
Speaker 8: A total of thirty one.
Speaker 9: Well, we like to talk to you about the fines.
Speaker 8: No need to where the day guy. He gave his own free will, that's it. No, No, he gave it to you. He gave it to me. I'm free will.
Speaker 2: But there's something that everyone missed that block of land in Townsville. So let's put down a thirty three thousand dollars deposit. David and Leanne said that Les was planning on building a house on that block of land and then selling it for a profit.
Speaker 4: Yes, but everyone else believed the house was for the Phillips to live in as a loan or a gift. Margaret and Samantha think Les was planning on living with the family in that big house, although Lachelle's side of the family disputes that.
Speaker 2: Yes, but David and Leanne's names were actually on the building plans, and it was David who paid for those plans to be drawn up. In fact, the draftsmen even called Les once to double check if he was the client or if it was David.
Speaker 4: So all the evidence suggests that this house was meant for the Phillips.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: And we found a statement in a police file, a statement that nobody seemed to notice since from the Department of Veterans Affairs, saying that in December nineteen ninety two, Les informed the department that he intended to spend sixty thousand dollars building a house on that block of land.
Speaker 4: And Les was a stickler for those sort of things. You know, when he bought the house in Cardwell, he paid for twelve months home insurance upfront, changed his address with the government agencies, opened a new bank account.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was really on top of these things.
Speaker 2: And when you add the sixty grand for the home that everybody believed was going to be for the Phillips to the thirty three thousand dollars he put down for the block of land itself and the thirty one thousand dollars he transferredly in, that's potentially one hundred and twenty thousand dollars of Lessus savings that could have been going to the Phillips.
Speaker 4: That's way more money than anyone ever realized was going their way. And in the nineteen nineties, that's really big money exactly.
Speaker 2: But Less's decision to buy that dream home of his in Cardwell meant he couldn't afford to build the Phillips a house and would probably have to sell the block of land too. In fact, the night he called up the Phillips, his bank records show he was still just short of the money he needed to close the deal on that new house in Cardwell. But the police and the coroner seemed to have missed this important point.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 4: So that's why this call and when it happened is so important. Young Samantha, the grandchild, picks up the phone, she later said to police. He sounded angry and Lez wanted to speak to David. At this point, Lez had just one working day to get the money he needed back from David to complete settlement. It was really crunch time. Leanne was in hospital in Brisbane, so he needed David to cough up that money he owed Les exactly. And this phone call is the last time anyone heard Les alive, not the Sunday as the coroner believed.
Speaker 2: Now, maybe David knew Leanne would wind up the executor of Lez's estate, and if Les was dead and couldn't go through through with buying that house in Cardwell, that would free up seventy thousand dollars and the Phillips could build their new house and of course they wouldn't have to pay back a cent of any of those thousands of dollars that they owed Les. According to another of David Leanne's kids, Danielle, after Les vanished, the family actually tried to go ahead with building that house. This is what she told police in twenty eleven. Now she's sitting with a detective as a prepare a statement. So it's quite noisy. And this piece of audio you're about to hear was Laiter handed to the inquest as evidence.
Speaker 7: Got that.
Speaker 1: Except what I remember with Pierre was he when we couldn't build the hats because it was all in his name, wouldn't real breath point, of course, the lands his name.
Speaker 4: So David said, this phone call from Les on the Thursday actually happened on a Friday. Why would he lie about that? I mean, that seems like an insignificant detail, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Well, it's because by Friday the conspiracy to make it appear as if Les was alive was in full swing. That afternoon, somebody placed a call to Les's solicitor, claiming to be Les, saying he was going to Brisbane to visit his daughter, but would be back on Monday for settlement. Now, the secretary who took that call had never spoken to Les, so I couldn't tell if it was him. That's not a trip he could make by train. He wouldn't get back in time, and it's a fifteen hour drive from Townsville to Brisbane.
Speaker 4: It seems unlikely he'd make that mammoth return journey to Celianne. She was in hospital for a planned procedure. It wasn't a sudden medical emergency, and it just seems weird that he'd bother mentioning at all if he was planning to be back in time for settlement anyway, that's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, you wouldn't call up your dentist, doctor, your lawyer and saying hey, I'm going away, but I'm going to be back for this appointment in three days time.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the train ticket was booked the next day, on the Saturday. We know on the Monday someone forged as a signature. Our investigation has uncovered that David forged a police document to falsely claim he was Australia's most decorated cop. So we know he had formed there, and we also know that while he was a police officer, he attempted to defraud his parents' business out of money by signing out a loan in their name.
Speaker 4: And when Bill Nash, the fraud scoad detective, was investigating David, he nearly charged him with fraud by deception for pulling a really low con on a series of motels in Melbourne. He would delay paying his bill, claiming he was waiting for some sort of windfall, then sneak out the back door at night. He did this to four different motel businesses.
Speaker 2: And there was something else Bill told us, which is that while his officers were following David, they also observed him pulling another con, this time for prescription drugs. I'm assuming that if you're doctor shopping, you'd be pretty good at forging signature and prescription pads. Yes, that's a core skill set of a doctor shopper, isn't it.
Speaker 10: Yes, you somehow have to come across a pad of prescriptions blank ones. It's not that hard to forge a doctor script because you can't understand the writing anyway.
Speaker 2: So David had a history of defrauding people, of forging documents and faking signatures, and as a former police officer, he knew that the longer he could focus police attention in Brisbane, the more time he'd have to get away with murder. It'd buy him time to destroy Lester's trailer, and when you look at his behavior, he seemed to constantly be trying to redirect police. At one point, shortly after Les disappeared, David called the cops up and said Les could be in tweet Heads or out at gem Fields at Mossman Gorge. He even insisted that Ed who was living on the Sunshine Coast, had something to do with Les's murder.
Speaker 4: Now, we don't have proof that David was involved in dest the trailer, but the two men who separately stumbled on that burnt out trailer both observed two blokes that appeared to be involved. One was a man who looked to be aged thirty to forty in a white ute, who was accompanied by another man. At the coronial inquest, Lachelle's lawyer submitted that the description of that first man matched David, who was thirty eight at the time and drove a white ute.
Speaker 3: That feels like a bit of a reach. It's such a vague description.
Speaker 2: A guy in his thirties with a white ute lots of those sort of guys in Townsville.
Speaker 4: Could almost be anyone crecently. But going back to that forged train ticket, could David have actually been the one to forge Less's signature and collect Lezz's ticket. Surely if he was handing over a pension card, he would have been challenged by the cashier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've always wondered about that because it's a huge risk to take if you're David. But there is that's another possibility. Margaret, she was staying at the Phillips house when Les disappeared, and she was in her late sixties at the time. Now, the name on Less's train ticket was Leslie R.
Speaker 3: Ball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess that's a unisex name. If the ticket was Leslie Ralph Ball, it would tell you that Les was a man. But Leslie R. Ball could be a woman's name, and I guess a bored ticket officer would hardly look twice at an old lady collecting a ticket, exactly.
Speaker 2: So I've always wondered if it was David who orchestrated the scheme and Margaret who collected the ticket. Now, remember that fingerprint found in Les's car on the rearview mirror, police took fingerprints from David, Leanne and Tony they weren't a match, but they never took a fingerprint from Margaret.
Speaker 4: That's interesting because Margaret's grandkids suspected she knew more about Les's disappearance than she ever let on. Some of the kids recall that Margaret didn't attend that outing that was central to David's alibi, and when they returned home, Margaret was sweeping out the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and our favorite Irish cop, Lizz Wick Norton, also suspected that Margaret may have had more knowledge of the crime than she'd ever admitted to, And that's partly because police actually spoke to Margaret in twenty eleven, right before she died. When they spoke to her, she was with relatives, and one of those relatives told police that Margaret was worried about what questions they would ask and that she would go to jail. Police secretly recorded that conversation, and the audio you're about to hear was an exhibit at the inquest.
Speaker 1: What do you think happened to these.
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know what think someone on the trying or something. I don't know.
Speaker 8: I honestly don't know. I don't.
Speaker 10: I don't.
Speaker 8: I really don't know.
Speaker 1: Different things, But I try ask what you've heard?
Speaker 11: No, but you.
Speaker 4: When we listen to all the rumor and innuendo, the gossip, so we are interested in.
Speaker 10: Knowing what you have heard. But Mom, if you don't want to go there, you don't.
Speaker 9: You don't know that.
Speaker 4: We'll never know what Margaret really knew or what roles she might have played. But Michelle has a surprisingly compassionate take on this.
Speaker 5: I believe Margaret knew everything. Yeah, I don't think Margaret was involved in the actual act of killing my father and wouldn't want anyone to kill my father. She still loved him. Over many of the years, my dad wasn't that fond of her. But I do believe my still loved him. And I think Margaret witnessed what had happened and was just horrified, and she's probably had nightmares till the end of time. So one hundred percent. And I think that she was involved in like maybe the maybe the ticket, maybe the maybe I don't know, cleaning up the mess from it all, et cetera. But I think she was put up to that, and she was told to do that by David. And when David told you to do something.
Speaker 3: You do it, You do it, you do it, you do it.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about David's confession of murder to the Skull. It's highly unlikely that David physically ripped Les's wind pipe out or found some elderly stranger to help him move Les's body and then executed that stranger. David was a renowned liar, and that is so far fetched.
Speaker 2: It is, But then again, there was a pattern to his lies. So David really did receive commendations as a police officer, but only two, not the eleven that he claimed. And he really did know the police officer he accused of dumping Adel Bailey's body, and had been to this officer's property in Regional Victoria. He just embellished all these other false details. Here's Bill Nash's take on David's murder confession.
Speaker 10: There's an element of truth. It is possible. Everyone says it's possible. That's why Dave's suspect. But the second man, you can see Dave's logic to get rid of witnesses if he assisted Dave in the first place. But I don't think he can rule it out totally. I think it's always got to be there. You can never forget what Brian has given to the coroner to consider if you downgrade it.
Speaker 2: So, putting it all together, David had a compelling financial motive to murder Lez. It wasn't just that Les was calling in some of those loans. If Les went through with buying his house in card Well, the Phillips would be financially devastated. After Les disappeared and they discovered they couldn't build the house because the land was in Les's name, they became homeless for a period. David was addicted to prescription drugs and had to beg lie and cheek to get by.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we've also uncovered some pretty troubling evidence of his capacity for violence, threatening to break people's knees, to shoot his sister and all of her wedding guests, punching walls in the family home, not just from one side of the family either. For a hot minute there, I thought perhaps all of that bizarre behavior could be explained by thinking of him as a police informant. That might explain some of the crazier lies. But it didn't check out.
Speaker 3: No, So now let's talk about Leanne.
Speaker 2: There's no proof she was involved in Les's murder, and she was very close to her father Les. She loved him. Even Lachelle, who's not Leanne's greatest fan, admits that she was evasive and defensive about her finances and when she returned home from hospital and saw her dad's trailer, carr and possessions were gone, she did nothing. When there's this real estate agent called looking for him, Leanne told her that she was a nuisance caller and not to call there again. Although Leanne disputes this.
Speaker 4: There is one possible explanation for this that we heard from Irish cop Liz McNaughton. What was your sense of David's relationship with Leanne.
Speaker 12: Well, I believe it was definitely one of corus of control. I had the feeling that he definitely called the shots. You know, he was the one that said what was going to be when it was going to be. Certainly through the financial transactions and the money. I would suggest he was the one that was always on to Leanne to borrow the money. Yeah, I would I would suggest that debt was clever and things happening when Leanne was in hospital, so there's no way that she could be part of or no or prevent whichever, you know. So I definitely wouldn't put her in the cartgary with David, not.
Speaker 4: Just once. In twenty seventeen, Leanne told police that David was violent towards her.
Speaker 8: There was a time there where he was actually hurting me. Yeah, he would try and strangle me, an like tom.
Speaker 13: But was this before? This is before he stroke?
Speaker 4: No, it is after.
Speaker 8: But he started showing those signs prior and I'm but not so bit more verbal then, but doing that, he would then have it on a fit like I had to fit up to those rages, so he couldn't control developments. He couldn't control those.
Speaker 13: That's real stressful emotional reaction sort of response.
Speaker 8: Holding enough, yeah, bail me, and then you start seizing stuff and hrcting that way, well, just come up around. It was showing warm. He'd tear on my clothes off and I'm runn around the front trying to get away, and we get all my clothes and burn them or it was horrible.
Speaker 4: When questioned about David's stroke at the twenty twenty two in quest, Leanne was adamant that the psychotic rages and violence she described only started after his stroke. But in the audio you're about to hear, Leanne suggested the signs of David's changing behavior were apparent around the time Les went missing.
Speaker 13: And how long do you think he was unloyal and leading up to you know, you're saying that the benefits and said, you know you can see the sons. Now, how long you think he was unwell or there was you know, same year okay? Right, okay, and in that year leading up to that time, because that will probably overlap with the filament Les missing, Is that did that affect his relationship we've lived I started, Okay.
Speaker 2: As much as we've uncovered, there are still clues out there and witnesses. Police spoke to the Phillips neighbors in nineteen ninety three but didn't take written statements, so we don't know if they got to all of them exactly.
Speaker 4: And there was that crime Stoppers report from twenty eleven from the guy who saw a bloke covered in blood putting something in the boot of a Green Valiant by the side of the Bruce Highway and the.
Speaker 2: Phillips house cleaner. She told police she saw a trailer similar to Less full of furniture near the shopping center where David was rumored to have dumped Less's body.
Speaker 4: And there's that man who saw Les's trailer dumped in the bushland before it was burned out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're still all out there potentially, Henny, where are you?
Speaker 2: I am at yan Yan Cemetery and I am crouched in front of David's headstone.
Speaker 3: Wow, you found it. He found his grave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's right on the edge of the cemetery and a sort of huge cemetery which kind of helped me help me find it. But it's a gray granite headstone. It reads in loving memory David John Phillips, devoted husband to Leanne, very proud and loving father and grandfather. We love you and miss you. Rest in peace, and it has his name engraved in kind of gold lettering.
Speaker 3: It's pretty nondescript.
Speaker 2: It kind of looks like a lot of the gravestones here, except David's gravestone doesn't have any kind of flowers or monuments in front of it, and in fact, it's the only one in this row of headstones that doesn't have any flowers on it. And strangely, David's body isn't in this grave either. Four years after David Phillips died. David's now widow, Leanne, paid to have him exhumed, dug up, and cremated. She said it was to respect his wishes. He'd always wanted to be cremated and not buried. Apparently, if you're thinking that sounds strange, well so did we. But we actually checked with the government department that manages these things and they told us that in the previous year, thirty six people were exhumed, so it does happen.
Speaker 3: Still, I wanted to see the headstone for myself.
Speaker 2: It's a tangible connection to the case that we spent years obsessing over, even of the grave beneath it is now empty.
Speaker 11: And I think it also makes me feel sad because les Ball doesn't have a headstone. Les Ball doesn't have an in loving memory, beautiful thing carved for him, and I guess that makes me.
Speaker 1: Think I wish Lez had that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny you mentioned that because I guess because it's a Saturday, there's lots of people here, they're tending the gravestones, they're putting fresh flowers out.
Speaker 3: Lachelle doesn't have that. No one in the family does. That's why we bury people.
Speaker 2: It's to help us remember them, to give us some way to memorialize them, to say that we love them. And it just underscores that Lachelle doesn't have that.
Speaker 5: I want to put him to rest. I like his body. I might not be around, but even a bone or something to put him to rest in his grave, in mobile moral his family are, I won't let it rest.
Speaker 3: Have you ever had a funeral or memorial service for les?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 5: No, because I've got nothing to have the service for. So my dad wasn't religious, but I would like to put something to rest with his family.
Speaker 4: My first impression when I met Lachelle was just how fierce she was. She was someone who wouldn't take no for an answer, who would stop at nothing to find out what happened to her dad. And I've gotten to know her now and the people that love her really well, and there's no other way to say it. Her life has been completely altered.
Speaker 5: I've never gotten married because I think my Dad's not there to walk them down the aisle. I sleep with the lights on still because I'm still paranoid that someone's going to come in and murder me. I'm still paranoid to this day.
Speaker 2: That's something We heard from Michelle's family too, here's her mum, Ed and cousin Ross.
Speaker 6: It's ruined her life. She is not the girl that I thought she would be. It's ruined her life, absolutely totally ruined.
Speaker 14: Everyone in the family in the most empathetic and sympathetic way, their heart breaks for Lachelle and how it's affected her life. It just totally consumes her mind and it has for over thirty years now. Her ale at our life has been consumed twenty four hours a day by what's happen and my father.
Speaker 2: But Less's unsolved murder has eaten away at so many people, Like Detective Lis mc norton.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I just feel like, you know, I joined the police because I wanted to live in a better world, you know, and help the vulnerable people and have a voice for the people that have no voice for themselves. And I hope someday, I don't know how, but we'll find remains and they'll be lasers and you know, maybe something will come of this. But for Naya STULFI is sad that we have no closure on it.
Speaker 2: In fact, every cop who works this case spoke to us about les because much like Lis mc Norton. They just can't shake the sense that he deserved better.
Speaker 10: Unfortunately, life has this issue with me.
Speaker 2: Just let it go.
Speaker 10: I should know that's unfinished business here that needs to be sorted out. I want to know and take it as far as I can.
Speaker 15: Someone out there knows something. Let all of us have a voice for Les because he deserves it. Something terrible's happened to him. No one knows where he is. He's out there and he's own somewhere, so let's try and help him.
Speaker 4: It's a cold wintery day when we last meet Lachelle and lunch hour on the outskirts of Sydney's CBD. She's written to Queensland Police with our findings, asking for the investigation to be reopened. We have to raise our voices a bit over the traffic, din Michelle. It's a bit of a full circle moment for you. Two years ago you put a bunch of documents into Calm letterbox and that's what started this podcast, and now you're giving this letter to Freeensland Police. We're standing here at a red Australia Post letterbox. You're still looking for answers, but hopefully you're a bit closer.
Speaker 7: Every little step of the way. I hope I'm closer. Yes, it's been a while. And when I said I've got some information for you put in his letter box, I was grateful that he would actually help me to go on to the conquest, have sold what happened to my dad and charge is being laid.
Speaker 5: I would like justice.
Speaker 9: You've been working with us for two years. You've given us a lot of your time. We've asked a lot of you. Do you feel it's been worthwhile. Do you feel like you're closer than you were two years ago?
Speaker 7: Oh? Yeah, definitely, every step of the way, every little bit that you do does it is a little bit close. So definitely. Hopefully this will bring out some new evidence, will new people coming forward?
Speaker 9: Well, for now, Laschel, this is the last step hosting that letter, and once the Queens Awn Police step that letter, it's in their hands and also in the hands of the public who hopefully will listen to this podcast and bring new information forward.
Speaker 7: I really do hope the public do come forward.
Speaker 2: We've promised Lachelle will keep investigating and she's pushing for a fresh coronial inquest and for homicide police to once again turn their full attention to this cold case. If you know anything, you can contact us at lesbol podcast at ProtonMail dot com.
Speaker 3: That's l ees B a l L.
Speaker 2: Podcast at ProtonMail dot com, or contact crime stoppers. There's a five hundred thousand dollars award on offer for information that leads to a conviction. The police say that anyone that comes forward will be immune for prosecution.
Speaker 3: So now though i'm Callundness.
Speaker 4: And I'm Joe Townsend, you've been listening to Perfect Alibi.
Speaker 8: The early cars and things changed.
Speaker 11: Lot of behavior.
Speaker 13: Ora