Speaker 1: When I first arrived in Cardwell in nineteen ninety it was a wonderful place. The fishing was fantastic, the people were wonderful. It was one of the best places on earth.
Speaker 2: In the early nineties, Cardwell, in far North Queensland was a sleepy tropical paradise, a small village on the edge of the Great Barrier Reef, surrounded by mountains of lush rainforest and waterfalls. Not much happened there, which suited in the nests just fine.
Speaker 1: I bought myself a boat and I could go out on the reef for a whole day and no one believe it though I wasn't in town. It was a lovely tim.
Speaker 2: He was officer in charge of the local police station, quite possibly one of the most relaxed policing jobs in the country.
Speaker 1: The crime rate was very low. I think in the first year I had three reported crimes and we solved a lot of them.
Speaker 2: But there's one crime I never solved. More than thirty years later, it remains a cold case. It all started one Friday night in May nineteen ninety three. Ian picked up a call at the local police station from an eighteen year old woman called Lachelle.
Speaker 3: I said, can you check on my father. He's an elderly man. He may have had a fall. I was thinking something caved in at his house or something and he's fallen. Can you go and check on him please? I just want to make sure he's okay.
Speaker 1: She told me that he had recently bought a property in Cardwell and he was always regularly in contact affair and she hadn't heard from him for some time.
Speaker 2: Ian agreed to go to Les's new house and check in on him. Cops do that sort of thing all the time. It's called a welfare check. It's garden variety policing. So when Ian pulled up at Less's home in Cardwell, he had every reason to believe this would be another routine job. It was possible Les would open the door and explain it was all a big misunderstanding. But when Ian knocked on the door, a woman answered.
Speaker 1: He was running the property. She was aware that it had been sold to mister Ball, but had not heard from him at all.
Speaker 2: The tenant heard that the sale hadn't gone through, which was strange because a stream of mail addressed to Lez had started arriving.
Speaker 1: There were bank statements social Security, veterans affairs letters and things like that. I started opening some of the mail up just to see if there's anything that would assist me in finding him.
Speaker 2: Nothing in the letters offered any clues about where Les might be. So Ian spent the next couple of days making some inquiries.
Speaker 1: At that point, you know, it was still just a welfare thing. I was looking for this fellow. I spoke to solicitors, I spoke to the real estate I spoke to the people at the house that he was buying.
Speaker 2: Forty eight hours after he took Lechelle's call, Ian called her back and told her Les never moved into his new home. On the day he was supposed to collect the keys. He never showed up.
Speaker 3: It's a worse feeling in the life. Like I just was sick in the stomach because my dad wanted to move into that house. He was not not moving into that house. So I was like, well, where is my dad. Something's happened to him.
Speaker 4: So I was just like hysterical.
Speaker 2: That's something Ian didn't tell the shell.
Speaker 5: I thought he was dead.
Speaker 1: Someone's down this bloken and that was my feeling feeling.
Speaker 6: It's now been more than thirty years since Lachelle Ball made that phone call, and no one has seen or heard from les Ball.
Speaker 7: The police don't have the answers.
Speaker 6: Two coronial inquests have failed to find any answers. But we've spent more than two years digging into this cold case. We've uncovered clues that cops and coroners have missed, we found fabricated evidence and uncovered fraud. And our investigation has taken us from the suburbs of Townsville right down to the Melbourne underworld. And not only do we believe les Ball was murdered, we think we can prove who did it. I'm Joe Townsend and.
Speaker 2: I'm Callum Tanas. You're listening to Witness, the home of investigative podcasts for News dot com dot Au. This is our newer series, Perfect Alibi. Like Ian, I first met Michelle over the phone. I'm a journalist and TV producer and I mostly make true crime. Michelle wanted me to look into her dad's disappearance.
Speaker 3: I wanted someone that would actually like look at it and dolve deeper into it because obviously the justice system had failed us.
Speaker 2: Three police investigations and two coronial inquests have failed to find out what happened to Les or who's responsible. So I wasn't sure how I could help. But Lachelle's faced bigger obstacles than a skeptical journalist. Her whole life has been consumed by seeking justice for Les.
Speaker 3: I'll solve it one day. I'm never going to give up now not having it, I won't let it rest.
Speaker 2: So on a stinking hot day, Lachelle rode a bike to my house and dropped a thumb drive containing hundreds of documents into my letterbox, and suddenly it seemed like there might be more to this cold case than I first thought. That's when I brought in my colleague Joe Townshend to help me investigate, and since then we haven't stopped.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 7: Well, no, you don't.
Speaker 6: Need to be sorry in the slartest caw and I've been guess bagging.
Speaker 2: Me and Joe have got and to know Lachelle pretty well in the two years who have been working on this story.
Speaker 6: I was excused, mess, just just shut your eyes.
Speaker 2: If you've ever been to Bondai and observed the locals, you'll have a pretty good sense of what Lachelle looks like. She's tanned, clad, inactive where with a sleek black ponytail and bright white smile. And she has a tattoo on her left wrist the letters LB and curly writing.
Speaker 3: I just wanted something of my dad and I thought, well, I'll get his initials LB, les ball. It's my initials as well, just something on my body to have memory.
Speaker 2: Lachelle doesn't have much to remember Lesby, just an old wristwatch, some photos and childhood memories.
Speaker 3: He was a fantastic dad, like he was always there for me. He was yeah, great childhood father. Anything I wanted, or taking me to like the football matches, taking me to sports matches. He was just a good dad, you know, a fun loving dad.
Speaker 2: Le's was a World War Two veteran and like a lot of men of that generation, he was frugal and handy, the kind of guy who could build or fix anything.
Speaker 3: Built a cricket pitch for me to play cricket with at home, flying fox, anything I ever wanted.
Speaker 2: Apart from Lachelle, Les's great love in life was golf. If the game means anything to you, he played off a handicap of two. And if you don't know what that means, just consider the fact that Les single handedly built himself a nine hole golf course on the family property. He was golf crazy. He loved it.
Speaker 3: He used to teach me how to play golf.
Speaker 7: I wish he kept it up.
Speaker 2: Les was a slight fella, but fit and active.
Speaker 3: Also, he was very good looking, blue eyes, full head of hair, quite muscly, athletic because he's always doing something, always into his sport, very chann because he was always outdoors.
Speaker 2: Les had Lachelle with his second wife, Ethel Eisen. Everyone calls her Et. She lives on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. Early one morning I flew up to me her am driving up the highway from Brisbane. I was excited to meet et because I'd been reading her diaries from when Les disappeared. I'm not a creep. L Shelle gave them to me. From her forensic entries, I got the sense that she was whip smart and fiercely protective of her daughter. Where After a few wrong turns, I found her modest unit in a retirement village where she now lives.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 2: As a typical male, I did not listen to your instructions, No, not at all. Sitting in an armchair in her small living room, the walls covered with family photos, musical instruments. It's exactly the person i'd imagined.
Speaker 4: I'm eighteen, now you know, I sort of I'm what they call an old lady, now you know. I don't like it, but that's what I am. Oh God, I hate that tag.
Speaker 2: She's still fiercely protective of her daughter.
Speaker 4: I worry that Lachelle's never going to let it go, and she's always going to hope for the best and hope that something will come out. I pray about it all the time. But yeah, she will never let it go. Not in my day. She won't.
Speaker 2: Edenles married in nineteen seventy five, when Lachelle was four months old. Les was in his fifties and had four kids from a previous marriage, but was devoted to Lachelle as if she was his first.
Speaker 4: He was absolutely obsessed with that child from the moment that she was born. When we were coming home from the hospital with this tiny baby, he was so anxious about looking at her, and he was so obsessed with her that he almost re and well, he did run off the road a little bit, and I had to scream at him, watch the road. You know you can watch her when you get home. Yeah, but he was obsessed with that little girl.
Speaker 2: Ed Les and Lachelle, along with ET's two other children from a previous marriage, lived on the Sunshine Coast for.
Speaker 4: A little while. He was sort of king of the kids in the street because if they wanted anything fixed or and they bring it down to Les and he'd fix it. You No, no worries at all.
Speaker 2: It still has plenty of affection for Les. But the marriage wasn't great. Les was retired, which meant that ed was the breadwinner, so he spent his time playing golf and surprising his wife with half cooked schemes.
Speaker 4: He went out for low for bread one day and came home and Tommy, he'd bought a house. Oh god, I nearly killed him. And he bought this big house that was partly finished. And he actually finished that house and it was magnificus, a beautiful big home with a swimming pool.
Speaker 2: Once that scheme had come off, Les cooked up another, a plan to breed race horses. Without telling his wife, Les sold the family home kind.
Speaker 4: Of I'm telling you. He swapped that house for opals, and I had to trade out of them because he wasn't going to do it. Where's the money to build another house? Oh well, I don't know. He didn't think of that. Oh he was a sucker for a good deal, you know. And I remember being so furious with him that it was unbelievable.
Speaker 2: In nineteen ninety one, after sixteen years together, the marriage ended.
Speaker 4: I was feeding horses and I got jack of that better, couldn't speak sense, jeweie. Yeah, golf and horses was all he ever wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Let's was seventy, with two failed marriages behind him. He was flushed with cash from the divorce and ready for a change, so he decided to move up north to Townsville to live with Leanne Phillips. She's one of his daughters from his first marriage, and so she's Lachelle's half sister. Let's packed all of his things into a big, light blue trailer, hand built by Les, of course, and set off for Townsville. Lachelle was seventeen, and at that age most teenagers would do anything to avoid spending time with their parents, but she volunteered to join him and wrote passenger on their trip north.
Speaker 3: And then we put up out in front of the Phillips house. A week later, and we come in and then well, Lianne wasn't too happy to see me with dad because Dad hadn't told her.
Speaker 2: I don't think Leanne lived with her husband, David, and their four kids, Les and Lachelle. She had a room in one of the kid's bedrooms. The half sisters had never been close, but now they were under the same roof. They were at each other's throats.
Speaker 3: We were always arguing. We just never got on. I suppose I was a teenager, wasn't I? And she was in her thirties.
Speaker 2: Lachelle didn't Likene's husband either. She found David, a former cop from Victoria, intimidating.
Speaker 3: It was a man of not many words and like you were a little bit scared of him, though sunk about him. I didn't argue with him. I never really spoke to him. To the truth, Yeah, he didn't really speak to anyone.
Speaker 2: On Lachelle's eighteenth birthday, the tension that had been building up for a couple of weeks boiled over.
Speaker 3: That was singing Happy Birthday, and I ended up throwing the birthday cake in her face and running out and ringing my mum.
Speaker 2: It arranged for Lachelle to leave the Phillips and return to the Sunshine Coast, and she left the house that night. It was relieved. She'd been uneasy about Lachelle living in David's house. Call it a mother's intuition.
Speaker 4: She'd got a bit frightened of David up there. It was more of gut Feeley. She knew she needed.
Speaker 5: To get out.
Speaker 2: Lachelle went back to live with Et and life became quieter in the Phillips household. Les shifted from one of the kid's bedrooms into the garage. He and LeeAnne had a close relationship, and Les would often pick up the four kids from school. In December nineteen ninety two, he put a deposit on a block of land not far from where the Phillips were renting. The plan was to build a house for the family to live in. Les was a builder, That's what he did. It's not clear if it was a gift or alone, but just a couple of months later, in February nineteen ninety three, things began to sour. That's when Les's first ex wife, Margaret, the one he was married to before Yt, came to stay with the Phillips to help out around the house while Leanne was in hospital.
Speaker 3: Our dad couldn't stand and do want anything to do with her. They'd have a lot of fights, like Margaret was screaming at him what he'd be screaming.
Speaker 2: This isn't just Lachelle's characterization. Everybody from every warring faction of Less's family agrees that he and Margaret couldn't stand each other. And so just a couple of weeks after his ex came to stay, Les tried to hit the eject button. He decided he'd move out of the Phillips house and by a home of his own. He told his real estate agent that he was sick of being the Phillips family babysitter.
Speaker 1: He obviously wasn't happy in his living arrangements. It appeared that the situation wasn't harmonious in that household, and basically this was one of the main reasons that he was moving the card well to get away from that situation.
Speaker 2: Les wasn't looking for long. He bought the second house he saw.
Speaker 3: It was an old Queenslander house, two levels, It was behind a golf course and he had the beach around the corner. He was very happy and you're excited to be moving in there. It was absolutely perfect for him his dream house.
Speaker 2: Basically, So, Joe, how much do you reckon a two bedroom, freestanding home in tropical paradise cost les back in nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 6: Okay, so it's the early nineties. I'm going to go with three hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, you're only a few hundred grand. Half it actually cost seventy thousand dollars. I know, it actually hurts. So it was a cash sale. He put down a seven thousand dollar deposit and when the settlement date came around and he picked up the keys, he'd pay the rest of the balance, which was sixty three thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: He must have been so keen to move if he only looked at two houses and bought the second one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was really planning on moving too, because he changed all his addresses over. He opened a new bank account in Cardwell. He even volunteered to pay for twelve months of home insurance upfront.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're not going to pay twelve months of home insurance upfront if you have no plans of living in the house. And for me, the idea of changing your address with really important things like veterans affairs. He was a World War Two vet, and he really would have wanted people to know where he lived. It just seems so unlikely that he would have gotten cold feet on this sale after doing all of that and paying all that money exactly.
Speaker 2: And he was also really eager to move because he actually tried to bring the whole thing forward, but he couldn't quite get the money together. So this settlement date was set from Monday, the nineteenth of April, which is just after Easter in nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 3: I spoke to my dad at Easter time and I said, where can I send your present? I had photos of myself that I wanted to send him, and he goes, send it to my new address because I won't be here. Just send everything to my new address, and gave me his address.
Speaker 2: Lachelle posted Lester's present and photos to his new address in card Well, but there was no reply.
Speaker 3: After a week. I'm like, gee, where's Dad hasn't wrung me or Anything's woody weird.
Speaker 2: When Lachelle tried to call Les's new home, she discovered the phone hadn't been connected. So Lachelle wrote him another letter and she paid for priority post, so it would be in his letterbox the next day.
Speaker 3: My second letter was like, Dad, I'm really worried about you. You never got back to me. You haven't wrung me, you haven't sent me anything back. Please, I'm really really worried. Can you just get in contact with me.
Speaker 2: No reply. Lachelle's now frantic. Les hadn't called her for weeks, or replied to two of letters, or even connected the home phone to his new house. And back then, connecting the landline was the first thing you did when you moved in.
Speaker 3: I rang the Phillips's house and David got on the phone and I said, where's my father. He's not getting back to me, and he goes, I don't know. He visited Leanne in hospital about a week ago. I went, okay, well he's not at using your address, and so then hung up with him.
Speaker 2: Lachelle's next call was to in the Nests in Cardwell. Lachelle's mum Et jumped on the phone too. She called everyone Les's family, police, even David and Leanne's family, to try and locate her ex husband.
Speaker 4: Now, that was never any love match between Lesson and I, but he was the father of my child and it was my responsibility to help her find him because she loved him. He loved her, and that was all I needed to know.
Speaker 2: Lachelle meanwhile, kept on replaying in her head something Less had said to her back at Easter.
Speaker 3: He whispitched to me on the phone. I can't wait to get out of here. It's haunted me for years because like I didn't really think about it, Like I just thought it was just they was sending him crazy. And if I'd asked him, what was the real reason or just I don't know. Yeah, now thinking about it's very daunting, like that my dad might have felt threatened or something. I don't know.
Speaker 6: It was now six weeks since Lachelle had heard from Les, and on the twenty second of May nineteen ninety three, she filed an official missing person's report, and that meant Townsville Detective Noel Powers took up the investigation. Noel's retired now and spends his time driving a bus for people with disabilities.
Speaker 5: We're trying to sort of keep it nice and even and everything and definitely no please speak, okay.
Speaker 6: But old habits die hard. He still sounds like a cop from Central Casting.
Speaker 5: So Lachelle instigated, you know, instigator called a Cardwell police. They made a couple of inquiries, one of them was with the local real estate agent, and it turned out that he hadn't turned up. The settlement hadn't been made.
Speaker 6: On Monday, the nineteenth of April, the settlement day, when Les was supposed to pay the remaining sixty three thousand dollars and collect the keys to his new home, he never showed up. Being a no show meant losing his seven thousand dollars deposit, and this wasn't at all like frugal Les, especially since he'd already tried to bring the settlement forward before Easter.
Speaker 5: He poured a bit of money into the house in Cardwell. It was quite obvious that he intended to settle down there and make the he's forever home. And then all of a sudden, it just it stopped, basically dropped off the earth, and there was no sign of his account being active.
Speaker 6: Nol Powers needed to work out when and where Lez had last been seen, so he started with the people. Lez had been living with, his daughter Leanne and son in law David Phillips.
Speaker 5: So we kicked off with them. They provide a bit of background information when he'd last been seen.
Speaker 6: Finding out where and when Les was last scenes sounds simple, but it turns out no one could agree on the exact day he'd gone missing. David told police that he last saw Lez as he left for work on a Friday morning. Leanne said she saw Les a week later when he visited her in hospital in Brisbane.
Speaker 5: She said he didn't stay all that long, just inquired about how she was going, and that he was going to visit Lachelle up on the Sunshine Coast, and according to her, that's the last he's ever been seen of.
Speaker 6: Brisbane is over thirteen hundred kilometers from Townsville.
Speaker 7: It's not an easy trip to make.
Speaker 6: Leanne told police that Les said he'd made the journey by train, which would take about twenty four hours.
Speaker 7: When Noel checked.
Speaker 6: Her story, he found that on Monday, the nineteenth of April, the same day Les was supposed to be in Cardwell for settlement, he was instead in Townsville collecting his train ticket. And he did something odd. He booked an onward journey from Brisbane to Dolby.
Speaker 5: And for the information of listeners, Dolby's probably a good ar four hours west of Brisbane.
Speaker 6: What on Earth would Les be doing in Dolby when he told Leanne he was going to the Sunshine Coast to visit Lachelle.
Speaker 5: When we put that to both David and Leanne later on, they are on aware they didn't know where Dolby is.
Speaker 6: Lez's ex wife, et Iison, was just as confused when she heard about the train ticket to Dolby.
Speaker 4: Now you know where Dolby is, It's in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 6: In fact, Dolby seemed like the last place on Earth Les would be traveling to. He'd been there once as a young man working on a farm as a jackaroo on a station, and he hated the place so much he vowed never to return it. Thought the whole idea sounded absurd, so she got on the phone.
Speaker 4: I rang the station master. Did he remember anybody of that description? Getting off? No, he didn't remember it.
Speaker 7: Rang all the hotels in Dolby. Nobody had seen Lez.
Speaker 6: Nobody at Townsville train station could recall seeing Les either, but they'd seen his car because it had been abandoned in the car park.
Speaker 7: The car bothered nol for two reasons.
Speaker 6: First, why wouldn't Les just leave his car parked at the Phillips house, it'd be safer there than at the train station. And second, where was his distinctive looking homemade trailer that was usually attached to his car. It wasn't at the Phillips house or the train station. The trailer had just vanished.
Speaker 5: There was no sign of that trailer. There was no indication where it could be, so again, that was something of concern for us.
Speaker 6: Ten days after she saw Les in hospital, Leanne arrived back home in Townsville, but her dad's car, his trailer, and all of his possessions were gone, and the garage which had contained all of Less's possessions was empty. By the time Lachelle filed that missing person's report with Noel, it had been five weeks since.
Speaker 7: The Phillips family had seen him. So why didn't they report him missus? They told nol.
Speaker 6: It was because Lez had a habit of going missing, taking impromptu off grid trips, and returning home to his worried family whenever he felt like it.
Speaker 5: Prone to just packing up and going off on his own, not keeping contact with anyone, go away for you know, periods of time, not long periods of time, but then just rock up again as if nothing had happened, and I think they seem to believe that this is just simply another one of these instances.
Speaker 6: If this was true, it wouldn't just explain why the Phillips never reported Les missing. It would present police with another explanation for what could have happened to him. Maybe the trip to Dolby was another one of his frequent unannounced trips away, and maybe while on that trip he met some sort of misadventure, like a snake bite or a bad fall.
Speaker 2: But Et and.
Speaker 6: Lachelle they reckon Lez would never just take off and disappear.
Speaker 4: Leanne told him that all her life the father had gone wandering. Well maybe he had when they were all younger and they were married. I don't know, but we knew where he was, and he would ring and want to talk to Lachelle. He never went away for weeks on end.
Speaker 3: I would always know where my dad was. Not once would my dad ever take off and I wouldn't know where he was.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 6: It's worth pointing out here that both things can be true. That Les always told Edon Lachelle where he was going, but would often take off without telling David and Leanne. What stood out to noel powers as a police officer, though, was that the Phillips family didn't seem to take Les's disappearance all that seriously.
Speaker 5: From memory, there was there wasn't a great deal of concern. Lachelle in particular, was in contact with me and with us quite frequently, wanting to know what was going on, asking how we're going? Had you do this? Did you do that? That's what you do expect of a family involved in this sort of situation. Whereas Nan and David was nothing. There was no contact.
Speaker 6: Everything nol had learned up to this point, Les forfeiting his deposit. The business with the car and the trailer fell into the something doesn't feel right here category. Take the supposed train trip to Brisbane. Noel couldn't explain why Lez, a thrifty pensioner, was at Townsville, collecting the ticket when he was supposed to be in Cardwell. Seven grand was a lot of money back in the nineteen nineties, especially for Les, the thrifty pensioner. There was no way he'd forfeit that or his dream retirement home. But then the investigation unearthed a piece of evidence that screamed foul play. Les had booked a pension affair, so when he picked up the ticket, he had to show the cashier his pension card and signed for the ticket.
Speaker 5: We had the handwriting analysis of that signature done and was obviously was not leases.
Speaker 6: Handwriting analysis sounds very CSI, but it doesn't take a trained eye to see that this is a forgery when you line it up with less authentic signature. These two signatures at the top are Lezzes.
Speaker 2: Yep, so they're pretty uniform. That's La ball in quite neat kind of cursive handwriting.
Speaker 6: And you see how the R is written really neatly in that open style. Now this signature is forged. Look at the bottom one there that are.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's completely flubbed. It's like someone panicked halfway through doing it and gave up.
Speaker 6: But there was a chance that lez had just disguised his signature for whatever reason. So Noel looked into the train journey itself.
Speaker 5: We had a booking reference number who'd used his pension card, and then as inquiries per rest, we found out that the ticket had been mark with a file to show fts.
Speaker 6: In the nineteen nineties, train tickets were checked by hand by a conductor.
Speaker 7: The process was really thorough.
Speaker 6: They walked up and down the aisle, ticking names off their seating plan.
Speaker 7: When the conductor on the trip to.
Speaker 6: Brisbane reached seat thirty nine, Les's booked seat, he wasn't there. They walked the length of the carriage looking for Les and checked his seat again. In eight hours, he never got on that train to Brisbane or the next trip from Brisbane to Dolby. Police were just as thorough as those nineteen ninety three train conductors, checking with airlines and bus companies to see if they had any reservations in Les's name.
Speaker 5: We even went so far as to in Aviereau, lady young English backpacker who'd been traveling around hers was the seat next to time where Les's was allocated, where it was booked, and she was quite chuffed, obviously because she had two seats to herself all the way down the bridbone.
Speaker 6: The question of why Les was in Townsville collecting a train ticket when he was supposed to be in Cardwell collecting the keys to his new home was solved. It wasn't Les, It was someone impersonating him at the ticket booth and forging his signature.
Speaker 5: This is probably your home moment.
Speaker 6: Of course, that raised all sorts of different and more troubling questions.
Speaker 5: So what's happened to him, what's going on, who's hiding, who's not telling us what's going on.
Speaker 6: Les hadn't blown off his house settlement to go traveling, but somebody wanted to make it look like he had.
Speaker 5: And it sort of turns the investigation more or less from a missing person into a potential homicide. Sorry, Les has disappeared off the face of the earth. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 6: Coming up on perfect alibi and he said, don't hang up, it's me.
Speaker 4: He said, I'm being buked and you're probably being buked as well.
Speaker 8: All he wanted to do was Pellatroth and used words the fate of He almost wrapped his win patment. And I truly believed that he was the person that murdered LESBOI, that.
Speaker 3: He died being bashed to death.
Speaker 2: It was just horrific.
Speaker 4: It was terrible.
Speaker 6: If you've got more information on this case, you can contact us at Les Bowl podcast at ProtonMail dot com. That's l EESBA Double L Podcast at ProtonMail dot com.