Speaker 1: Welcome to the Code NRL show.
Speaker 2: Dave Ricky he has always with Michael carrianas as always, and the other as always is not always here. No, because he's gone today. Brent Ferree read zone a great day for everyone. He's still recovering from Origin. Yeah, he's going to get therapy on how to better understand Origin.
Speaker 3: What about it? What about is he?
Speaker 4: Tigers are gone, Broncos are no good, Storm a struggling Manly have hit a wall.
Speaker 1: All his teams are gone.
Speaker 3: Sorry Brent.
Speaker 1: Oh Well, the show rolls on, Mickey.
Speaker 2: It's been an incredible week of news in rugby league, as it always is, but not havely The West Tigers. Jerome Lui the story that broke last I think it was last Thursday. It was last Thursday afternoon that the news of lou eyes impending departure from the Tigers unfolded, and he has just fronted the press today to discuss that departure.
Speaker 1: He speaks pretty well, doesn't he.
Speaker 4: He's great talent, Jerome, and he's pretty direct, pretty forthright. Takes ownership and there's a couple of interesting things that he said around you know, if I derailed the season because of my move to PNG, I'll wear that right, that's on me, right, And then you know, some conversations around his form and if he's not playing well, well, he's had a conversation with Benji to pick other players if he doesn't feel like you know, if he wants to make that change. And you know said he was shocked and surprised by the Tiger's decision, but after he wore it and came to terms with it, understood what they wanted to do. Yeah, Jerome is a great media talent, and you know, he's one of the he's one of the good interviews in the game.
Speaker 2: Interesting at that point that you made in relation to the exit from the Tigers and going to someone with P and G and he said, I if that moment in time derailed our season, that's on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How do you think Tigers fans and Tigers teammates feel?
Speaker 4: You know, what was he supposed to do, Dave? Because of the structure of that contract. You know, the Tigers are to blame in a way as well for putting the clauses and the time ins around those clauses in.
Speaker 1: But you can understand why they had to.
Speaker 4: I understand why they had to, but this was always the risk that when you did that, this was going to be the outcome. I understand all parties in this situation, right. I understand your own chasing the cash and going to P and G. I understand why the Tigers put those clauses in because they were you know, they signed a premiership winning player when they'll bottom of the competition, right, And I understand why the Tigers have said to him, all right, thank you mate, but you're going at the end of the season. So I understand it all. Whilst it's created headlines and you know, some strong storylines for us because it's big story. They're all big stories, right, But I get it, and I'm not critical of anyone in this situation. It's it's the circumstances which have led to these decisions.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the social media posts weren't brought up at the press contest.
Speaker 3: Found that weird.
Speaker 4: I would like to have known, because I'm not an anime expert. I don't understand what any of that means.
Speaker 1: You Dave.
Speaker 2: Probably not how crazy mate, Brent really do? I understand, To be honest, he would have some type of theory.
Speaker 1: I don't know that didn't come up interesting the club captains. He didn't come up either.
Speaker 2: That'll be interesting to see if he if he retains that for the remainder of the season.
Speaker 1: What's your thoughts there.
Speaker 3: Like, I think he should play.
Speaker 4: I've got no issues with him playing and captain in in the interim well for the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Well he's only there for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: I understand. But but what if it.
Speaker 2: Just goes a bit even further south for the West Tigers over the next three matches.
Speaker 4: Where they lose in they lose, depends on his performance, depends on injury situation. But they're you know, they still talk and Benji was quite defiant about playing finals footy or if there are any chance of playing finals footy, they need.
Speaker 3: Jerome to be playing near his best.
Speaker 1: YEP. Agree.
Speaker 4: So whilst they're in finals contention, whilst they feel like they can, they need your own playing there.
Speaker 3: So I don't. I wouldn't be banishing him, I just wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Does it set the West Tigers back next season?
Speaker 4: Well, they're not a better side with Jerome Luai out of it, all right, So that's that's the point. But I get what they did. I understand and they can, you know, spread the love a little bit. We heard Benji talk around their depth and their lack of depth this year, and that's hurt them because they've had injuries to keep players. And you know, it doesn't matter which club you are. If you lose your top five players, and they've probably lost their top five players at times throughout the season, you're going to struggle.
Speaker 3: Right So, but their depth levels aren't there.
Speaker 4: They've had blokes out are trained and trials play first grade and stuff this year, right so, but the market's pretty bare. So if you sat there and go, well, their squad's going to be improved next year, don't see it because they've signed Jaca Varello and that's really it at the moment. So unless they get a few more signs between now and next season, they're a weaker squad without Jerome LAWA next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 4: Paramatta great good, not a great signing. Good signing for Paramatter, good signing for Paramatter. Look, the reason everyone's been so critical is the mixed results of the Jonah Pezzant deal this year. Right, Jonah Pezzert and Jerome Law are completely different, completely different in terms of stylistic right, Jerome Lawa is a five eighthjon isn't on the ball half in terms of what they've achieved in the game, in terms of the relationship already with Mitch Moses, and the fact that you know, Paramatta have these two young hars that they believe will be first grade ready by twenty twenty eight, not next year. Okay, So this buys them some time, and it also allows you look at Talon of Silver and Aziyongi in another twelve months time, they're going to be eighty plus gamers into their career. They might by that stage they can have a rookie five eighth in that spine you throw them in next year. These guys are still learning, but three four years into first grade now they should be able to take that next step by twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting point you make, Dear Mick about Jonah with comparisons with Jonah Peazant and maybe Paraffins are a little bit nervous about picking up another.
Speaker 1: Twelve month player.
Speaker 2: I just don't think Jerome's been Jerome like the elite level Jerome. Yeah, on a consistent basis at the West Tigers, I think that's.
Speaker 1: A level of concern. Of course, of course all paraffins.
Speaker 4: But who if you sat down and said, who's one of the closest players to Nathan Cleary.
Speaker 1: In the competition, closest players to Nathan Cleary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in terms of half backs, well, Mitch and Moses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you feel that that combination from Penrith can be replicated.
Speaker 4: Jerome's at his best when he's carefree, ad lib stepping on the inside, playing off the cuff, and Mitch's at his best when he's run on the side and getting players to into the field. Right, So it will work. That combination will work. But I feel like that freedom hens mark too well. I wouldn't go that far with well for Paramatta, I just caught playing finals. But yeah, I feel like that combination will work, and not going with the expectation of being the man in the halves and this will be his challenge of the Chiefs because it might have to be the main man in the hearts. It goes to Paramatta. It's Mitch's team, it's not Jerome's team.
Speaker 2: Paramattera still need a front railer as far as I'm concerned, they still need an outside back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're desperate for those two positions.
Speaker 1: I'm just wonder whether they go.
Speaker 2: I wonder if the influence of what we saw of Jerome, because I firmly believe he did shift the dialog of the West Tigers of being a more attractive club now makes it Paramatta.
Speaker 1: More more of an attractive club. And Spencer lenu but that's high.
Speaker 4: They are tight, and Spencer lives in and around Paramata's training facility. But yeah, I thought that would have moved by now, but it hasn't. That Spencer deal, you know. Jerome was asked, was your time at the West Tigers success? And he thought, back on the journey, I think from the gun, but.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and it's hard to measure success, but it's easy to measure success.
Speaker 1: Jerome was saying, what do you think? Of course I have partly partly, but he and I know I don't dare as I said, he shifted the doll.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't sign. They don't sign to RuvA. They're not They're not in. They're in a much better situation because they signed you are. No doubt, wins and losses haven't equated to that. But the club is in a much better spot.
Speaker 2: I said, we're not playing for wooden spoons anymore, which is it wasn't.
Speaker 4: The same lofty expectations that he set when he went. But they're not playing for spoons anymore. They're in a better spot. It was a good signing, and I think the Tigers in a way because Jerome's Drame's interesting, right, Like is one point two Salary's he a one point two me and all the play right? Yeah, but they've got the best out of him in terms of what he's been able to deliver off the field on the field, in terms of players that have been able to recruit. So I think, and I understand this is not a criticism on Tigers. We're putting those clauses in No, I get it right, But I think he hasn't done his job at the West Tigers. Our job would have been playing finals. But they're in a better spot than when he got there.
Speaker 2: Mixed significant story broke yesterday Zach Lomax in talks with the P and G chiefs.
Speaker 1: What's happening here? Will he end up signing.
Speaker 4: The story's twofold right. Firstly, Brendered had the story that Melbourne had approached Zach Lomax about playing for the club next season. Paramatt had given their blessing because Paramad owned the rights to Zach for twenty six twenty seven, but and they wanted Jack Howarth in return. Zack said no, right, which let's rewind a little bit. This is what kills me. Six months ago told Zach Lomax Stager could have been done and dusted if Melbourne agreed to release Jack Hawth to sign Zach Lomax, because that would have been done in the preseason because that's who PARAMOUNTA won it.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Zach said, no, not happening. And why is that not happening? Right? Because you know.
Speaker 4: He's got contracted to Australian rugby at Western Force for next season, so you can understand that. And then here come the Chiefs made a pitch for Zach Lomas. I think it's a three year offer on the table for Zach, and I think it's probably more likely than not that he ends up as a Chief in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: He's heading up to to have a look around.
Speaker 4: He will at some point, yeah he will, at some point. He's been there before for some PMS games, but yeah, he will. He will head there. And I think if everything's okay. He will sign with the Chiefs, and I think it's a it's a really good sign. Like there's been some criticism of Zak as a gun player. He's a gun player at the top of his like I have not like when he was playing on the wing. Right, There's been better wingers, okay, but in terms of the outcome an influencing results for their team, I'm not sure if I've seen that too often of the influence that a winger had on results, and Zach did that in his last year at the Dragons and paramatter we'd have.
Speaker 2: Got Na Barney with Paul Crawley on three sixty about this, about how Paramatta have desperately missed Zach Lomax this season. He led them meters. He made the most amount of meters at Paramatta tackle bus. He's a goal kicker. He shifted the game of which at times this season Paramatta have desperately needed that that circuit breaker.
Speaker 1: Of a player.
Speaker 2: And yes, he was a winger, but he was able to You'd seen him move infield and change games.
Speaker 3: He's an elite player.
Speaker 4: And if you throw him in and you know, you look at the Chiefs and if you go before before November one. So November one is when they're really you know, they've been able to have a double on the open market, but November one is when they hit the ground running in terms of you know, they've already got Jerome, They've got Connor Watson, Alix Johnson, maybe Zach Lomax, Maddie Lee's from the Super League. That's a pretty impressive call. Five before before their real trade window opens in November. So they've done a great job and they've got this opportunity to now when it gets to November one, if Nathan Clear is on the market, if Sam Walker's on the mark, whatever marquee, you go, well, yeah, we want you, we need you, and but you're not taking a leap of faith because we've already got this surrounding you. Usually for new clubs, and it's been the same with Perth and the Dolphins were similar case. They've been waiting for something like they needed a marquee to set the tone. Well Perth, so PG I've already set the tone.
Speaker 2: My question is how and how the heck have have the Perth Bears. He's playing with Western falls over the back fence of the Bears and.
Speaker 1: Well, not a play.
Speaker 3: I don't understand. I don't know how he's not.
Speaker 4: Like if you sat down if the news break yesterday that he's signed with Perth, I'd be like, yeah, awesome, get it right. The fact that p G have slipped under their guard and it look like they're going to get the deal done just shows things that are happening with Perth, and I don't know how slow things are. And they start training this November, you might be playing for him.
Speaker 1: Oh I've got a little bit of speed out of dummy ars.
Speaker 2: Crafty, crafty, extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Zach Climax, I reckon he'll be there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Good to have him back in the game too. And you know there's obviously the rhetoric around his contracts and things and stuff. But I think if Zach Climax is available and your PNG, you have to get him.
Speaker 3: And they're doing a great job.
Speaker 2: Make a huge game at Ocean Protects Stadium, Sharks Verse newcast all the Shark's coming off an extraordinary sixty six niel thrashing of the Dolphins. I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that performer. We'll stop more so to score on yeap. Huge game bit of breaking news in the Telly yesterday Toby Rudolph set to stay at the club.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had a long term three year off on the table from Catalan's Dragons, but has opted to take a twelve month extension at the Sharks. Look, it's all but done. Yeah, they've agreed to Look, it will happen. He hasn't put pens of paper yet, but it will happen. Toby Rudolff will remain at the Sharks for another twelve months. And it's interesting because the've probably offered similar deals to other players in terms of twelve month contracts, but they've gone and chased longer term deals, which is their prerogative. But Toby Rudolph to stay there, and I think he's been really good and really important.
Speaker 1: For super consistent. He's a really really important member of that that forward pack.
Speaker 2: And while we're talking about the Sharks beating it at Dolphins, it must be said that Toby's not part of that and he has been a mainstay of that pack. So too Brandon Jesse Calhoun didn't play. Britain Niker It didn't play. So here they are up against the Knights and there's a real sense within this Shark's team for everything we just spoke about me that this is it, this is the window, this is the chance they have to go for the throat with Jesse Raymian, Cameron mcinness, talks for Talakai all moving on at the end of this season. And these these that's been the core group of Craig fitzgibbons past four years that have made problems and certainly internally at the Sharks that's been spoken about brought by these players. They've only got this chance. And it's an interesting thing that Sam Stonestree had played a long block of games for Kanulla with injured now was given the chance to come back into this team out of the words of Craig Fitzgibbon, because he earned he had earned the right to finish, to finish his career with the goal that he's attempting to achieve and that he's a premiership and I reckon you can see it in their performance is we and tomorrow?
Speaker 4: No, it's huge, huge game, Yeah, huge game and the form of Braidon Triple bro I think Blake Bradley is their most important playoff but Bradon Trindle is just if he can We've spoken about this before. If he can mirror Will Kennedy in a way and bridge the gap between his best and worst performance, which has been will strength over the last two seasons, I think we will right. If Braiden can just bridge that gap, like his ceilings bigger than wheels, obviously, if he can bridge that gap between his best and his worst, they can do damage. I know everyone focuses on Nico, but Brandon Trindle is the chief playmaker there, and it's Nico's the past two performances that being the best for the past season and a bit. Yeah, right, so, but I think that comes with what where Braiden's ad and Braiden's game For mine, Braiden's the most important half. But Nico's running game is his strength and he's shown it the last week. So they've been impressive.
Speaker 3: The Sharks.
Speaker 2: You're right about Trindle because there are there's nine out of ten games and then there's the Sixers, and if he can get the Sixers up to a seven and eight and sit at seven and eight, then the Sharks are serious, serious threat.
Speaker 3: And that's what Will Kennedy's done.
Speaker 1: Will Kennedy has been an eight every week.
Speaker 4: That's it right, like there's not much fluctuation between his performances where they used to be right, but now I think he's just found that level of consistency and he's doing a great job for him.
Speaker 2: Credit to Fitzi there, because he's copped a lot of crap over the over the past four years about not shifting this roster, and he's a coach that that backs. He's well backs, he's judgment, back's what he's seeing and if you actually assess it, he has slowly drip fed a player or two out of his his roster over the past four years. And with the greatest respect to each of those drip fed players that have left the roster, they haven't gone on and been household successes. When he makes the call, he makes the call. But when he sticks by the player, he has every reason to do that. And I think they're repaying him. Will Kennedy is an example, Brandon Trindle another example.
Speaker 4: They got to repay him in the business end, they Dave's got to get this has been the look. I think there's three elite teams in this competition, Penrith, Warriors, Roosters, and I think Sharks said that that's fair that that next year yep, and the question still remains can they mix it with the big boys?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I put them on part with the Warriors to be honest. I just think this year because they've beat them.
Speaker 4: But Newcastle, Yeah, that performance on the weekend has been coming for a few weeks like that.
Speaker 3: Like, I know they probably should have.
Speaker 4: Scored earlier, but they got blown away and you know, did world of salvage the game? Really But I feel like that's been building, Like they've got away with some oh yeah we got against Saints and Ty like they were ugly, Like credit to them, they still winning. That's that they found a way to win, which is so important. But like that performance has been coming and I'm very concerned around their middles when the Jacob Seffidi now a few other injuries have now crept into their forward pack and that's a concern for Gran. McEwan has been a good player, we've got a hop, we've got a shot and then he's out now, so there's a few of they don't have the depth in the middle of the field and I think that's where Brayley can have some real joy.
Speaker 2: Well that's the I think the matchup is Coronella are much stronger through the middle, and then you would argue that the Knights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Edges still more potent.
Speaker 4: It's not a bad edge for Cornala when you got not bagging. I've got some Bradman best is in doubt for this game, so keep it eye on it and also Greg Marzoo so if they are out, there're two big outs for Newcastle.
Speaker 3: Bradman needs to play for it.
Speaker 2: Let's rip through these tips, just on that one. Who are you going with, Sharks? That's a night's game, Broncos.
Speaker 1: Come on now. If RIDI was here, I.
Speaker 3: Went to there first game. I always te Brisbane.
Speaker 4: I don't know why he sounded like buzz. Then it's Penrith all day for me. I know it's.
Speaker 3: Chips all day, not all day, it's Chips.
Speaker 2: All in for Milcom the squad. He's a very good team. Interesting left out, Billy Waltters the good team. It's a good, great day. But Penrith, Yeah, Penrith, Roosters, Storm.
Speaker 3: Melbourne, no Monster, no Hughes, Oh my goodness, Risters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rosters. They're my minor premiers. Uh yeah, tip them the tip the chicks to be my minor premiers.
Speaker 3: Are you still on that?
Speaker 1: Can they catch them? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Now the Brisbane beat Penrith and then they went I had Penrith Roosters in the Grand finals.
Speaker 3: But yeah they're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Saturday afternoon raised the tough Ones Raiders Rabbits down in Camberra.
Speaker 1: That's a tough teap. I struggled there, Yeah, definitely struggled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Raiders a good look.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: The compleasing thing about the Raiders was the form of party and Ethan Sanders.
Speaker 3: Last week they were really good.
Speaker 4: And we heard Rickie come out of his press there and walk around the middle playing the platform and easier for their boys.
Speaker 3: But they were super impressive last week against the Dogs.
Speaker 2: But flip a coin for me, sous, Yeah, I'll go the Buddies Warriors, Dragons got together Warriors.
Speaker 1: Again, so George and La Warrior.
Speaker 2: I think they've shown glimpses and they're coming off her last start win against the West Tigers.
Speaker 1: They had to buy and they're flying over today being Thursday.
Speaker 3: A couple of tough ones. The round out round out the weekend.
Speaker 2: Bulldogs Tigers Bulldogs for me, yeah, not with great confidence, only because I think the West Tigers are struggling.
Speaker 4: I just haven't liked what I've seen from the Tigers, like not like this energy.
Speaker 1: It's gone.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's gone.
Speaker 1: It's gone.
Speaker 3: That's the concern. So yeah, the Bulldogs were really bad last week too. I'll go Bulldogs.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And is Manly on Sunday afternoon. Absolutely massive game for Mely.
Speaker 3: This is a toss of the coin, this one.
Speaker 1: You like, Yeah, the Gold Coast are going good.
Speaker 3: I'm going Manly, but.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't think it's as big of an upset for the Titans to get the job done.
Speaker 1: No, no, I agree with you, but it's mainly for me.
Speaker 3: And this one too.
Speaker 2: Dolphins Cowboys Final game of the weekend Dolphins Cowboys. Okay, Tom didon back for the Cowboys. I went the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I went Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Micky Hear at Code Sports, we're giving the fans the opportunity to get the bs yes off fair chess.
Speaker 3: All right, if you need to call out read it, let us know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll come in and help you.
Speaker 2: So you know, it's all those soft calls and those dodgy bunker reviews and the by rounds that nobody wanted. Yes, you've got to go on to codesports dot com dot Au and there's like a comment section for every rugby league fan to vent.
Speaker 1: It's like a therapy socially.
Speaker 3: They're filtered before they get to us.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want them filtered.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: There'll be some of them coming. And you know what, Josh from Something's already chimed in.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're shy neighbor undred percent on your just he said, I call bs on the ninety eight percent success rate. Josh has done the numbers, ninety eight percent success rate of the NRL bunker that still averages out to like two hours a week.
Speaker 1: It's not good enough.
Speaker 4: I do, Like I'd love someone. Has anyone ever fact checked the percentage.
Speaker 1: And Josh has Like Josh's done the numb I have it.
Speaker 3: No, we'll just take the world for their work.
Speaker 1: Yeah we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the NRL push out the stuff. Sit there, that's really good journalism by us. You could that can be your job, Dave. Next week you sit there and yeah, Dick though, but I don't think I equate to two hours a week though, does it? We don't get two hours a week?
Speaker 1: Maybe one hell or a week. It'll be close to one a week.
Speaker 3: No, eight percent.
Speaker 2: Baby Worns from Caloundra on your words. Thanks for the note. Forward passes there are a joke, he says, plenty every game you put a put a chip in the ball, a computer.
Speaker 1: A chip, I would assume, not a French fryer. It's either forward or it's not. No floaters.
Speaker 4: I was speaking of someone about the NRL about this. Apparently they put it. They trilled a chip, right. I don't know what game. When a couple of years ago man had like forty seven forward passes.
Speaker 1: That's not surprised in one game.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. You're causing more drama than imagine. Could you imagine forty seven? I think it was forty seven in a game. Some of that I was forty.
Speaker 3: Something in a game.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is on the backbone for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there. Yeah, that's just an example. Josh and warns. Thanks for your notes.
Speaker 2: I get onto code sports dot com, dot com dot AU leave your BS message. That wraps up our BS segment for the week. We want to hear from you, so come on, get it off your chest and we'll talk to you next week.