Speaker 1: Well hello and welcome to the Code NRL Monday Show. I'm joined by Fatima Cadou and of course Alex from NRL Soapbox. Welcome troops, thank you. What do we make of yesterday? What an amazing performance up there by the Eastern George ill at Warret Dragons toppling Brisbane after two hundred and twenty five days for goodness, say, can you believe that? An amazing victory? Fatima?
Speaker 2: What did you make of it? No one gave him a chance. In fact, I think everyone.
Speaker 1: Thought that they would get beaten by forty or fifty and Dean Young's Red VEV come out and shocked Ruglar league.
Speaker 3: They have. I think they completely ambushed the Broncos. Oh, it wasn't a good performance by the Broncos at all. You know, headlines this morning that it was rock bottom for them. Maybe this is the loss that they need to have. But yeah, the Broncos I think showed very little respect to the Dragons in a way, just out enthused, you know, zero respect for the ball, especially in that first half, and the Dragons made them pay. I think what fifteen straight losses, eleven straight losses this year? If you look at their draw, you think, when is their next win coming? But Dean Young pulled it off and against the reigning premieres Alex.
Speaker 1: I think most that watched yesterday thought the Broncos looked old and slow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not particularly in that order either.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and like it was more like they decided, finally we're going to try and scoring points, like when we get down into the twenty, because they were alway getting down. They were always getting field position, but they weren't creating opportunities. They threw in so many offloads it looked actually exciting halves are running around.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know when that happened, Sophie, which is to me a worrying sign is when Madge went from the coach's boss down to the sideline. Yeah, that's when all of a sudden things clicked, all of a sudden. Rees Walsh was invested involved. Like you said, they were, you know, looked like the Broncos of old. But if I'm Madge, I'm thinking, well, what did the players think? Did they not know I was there for the first sixty minutes or whatever it is? You know that they needed to see the coach on the sideline before he was able to elicit a response from them against the team coming last. So yeah, they did finish fast, but yeah, I think that's because they looked to the sideline and there was Madge sort of stalking the sideline.
Speaker 2: Well that's the.
Speaker 4: Thing, right, it didn't look like a Michael maguire coach team for most of that game. I think Madge did Madge even come out and say we didn't respect the opposition and they paid the price for that, like they should have respected the Dragons because the Dragons came to play.
Speaker 1: I think there's a level of complacency there, There's no doubt about that, the way they came out and by the time they pulled their fingers out it was far too late, which was a diabolical loss for the Broncos. I want to ask you, though, alex Reyese Walsh, his performance gain yesterday was average at best.
Speaker 2: Where's he at?
Speaker 1: He certainly hasn't attained the levels he got to last year when he virtually drove Brisbane single handley through those finals and to the premiership.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he did run, he did time, He's run late last year. My suspicion this is uninformed though, but my suspicion is that he's still carrying a little bit of that injury or that tentatives from what's happened. Takes him a while to find his flow, and he does work better when his teammates are running straight, they're getting meters, and it just hasn't been working for them. I reckon, he'll turn it up. That's Reese Walsch. She's a superstar, but he's looking pretty poor right now.
Speaker 1: Fatima, the Broncos, they're on the same spot now as they were last year. We know what happened last year. We saw it unfold before her very eyes. I just can't see it happening again. Every season is different.
Speaker 2: Just because it.
Speaker 1: Happened last year, I think it would be wrong to fall into that lalla of thinking it can happen again.
Speaker 2: I think they're gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I think they were guilty of being complacent last year, even before they went on their run, and they're guilty of it again, probably thinking in the back of their minds, Okay, we were in the same spot last year, but look at us. We went on to become premier. So that's another thing that Michael maguire has to address. But you know, I still think they absolutely have the star power to do it. You know, pain Haas is bad, you know people. He looked sometimes a little bit tentative, but still managed to knock out two hundred plus meters Reese Walsh. I agree Sopie will get to his best as the season goes on. They still have a couple of guys injured, like Dean Maroner Jordan Ricky I think is now out with an extended period with a full injury. But I still think they have enough star power to if they scrape through, especially the top four, that they're going to be their late September.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 4: They've got to reach top four though, so if they want to defend their premiership, it's not scraping into finals. They've got to find form quick because they've got to make top four to really make a title defense.
Speaker 1: Let's flip onto a positive. The Dragons we touched on at the top of the show. An extraordinary win. I can't remember the last five ten years that we've seen it upset quite like that. What did you make of it? How do they win?
Speaker 2: Good on them? Well, it was fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great for the game, and the Dragons actually always put themselves in positions in games two score tries and then did nothing with the ball in that final twenty.
Speaker 2: But you just watched that game.
Speaker 4: I think there was at one point they had more than double even triple the offloads of the Broncos. So they were starting to play a bit more chaotic and manic footy. And in this era of the rules that we have, that's what's kind of working.
Speaker 2: You do.
Speaker 4: You need structure, you need strategy, but you also just need to do some chaotic stuff and they did that very well, Like even just Cayle Flanagan, Like there's one play where he's running left, there's nothing there and he's running back over.
Speaker 2: He's not done that this season.
Speaker 4: So that kind of style of it's more this chaotic, spontaneous footy, that's what worked for the Dragons. That's been the missing ingredient for them. So they could actually get a few more wins if they adopt that playing style again.
Speaker 1: I thought it was interesting in watching Dean Young in the coaching box.
Speaker 2: He wasn't excited.
Speaker 1: Sure inside he was incredibly relief, but there was no banging on the glass, there was no hugging. It was just very controlled, very measured. For Black that just bowled over Brisbane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that sometimes a bit of self respect of like, well we should win games rather than like celebrating like you've won a Grand Final. Well it's been one win this I reckon he's setting a new standard of like, no, this is the standard we want to play.
Speaker 3: He did celebrate like they had won a finals. The players, you know, especially the young players. There was this shot of one of the Couchmen brothers, I don't know which one and like a Pacificatongua and I think Kamie Stewart and they're just embracing and the smile on their faces. I felt so happy for them because, especially because their forward pack in that first half in particular, did lay that platform for them to be able to attack the way they did. So, Yeah, Den Young kept it cool and probably because he knows what's coming in the next couple of weeks for them. It's not an easy month. But the players definitely the monkey was off the back and you can definitely see it.
Speaker 1: They've got Cornella away this week, putting you on the spot. How many more wins do you think that can get this year? I mean, it was a wonderful performance. Take but if they only finished the season with one or two wins or three, it's still an abomination of a year. And the second part of the question is was it enough yesterday for the Draggings to say, right, Dean Young is our man on.
Speaker 3: How many more games they're going to win? Just looking at the next month, it's Karanulla Knights, Raiders Tigers. None of those games going to be easy. The Raiders have been up and down Tigers as well, quite plucky teams. So you know then they have the buye after that, So I don't I can't. Yeah, I don't want to say they're not going to win another game because who knows, they might ambush another team and then the lead up to that Broncos win. They were pretty good against Kenrith and they were pretty good against the Warriors before they finally knocked over Brisbane, so there might be another sneaky winning there.
Speaker 2: Dean Young, we're thinking he's the man.
Speaker 4: I think it's really hard. He would have to get more wins For me. I feel like he's this is my kind of thing at the moment. I think it's a poison chalice that Dragons Gig is an interim coach because his body of work that he'll be presenting to the board to be hired might only be one win, and that's really hard to make a decision if you're looking at statistics and how the team's performed. He would have to get some more wins to feel like that he secured that job.
Speaker 2: I feel a bit sorry for Din. He's such a great Dragons person. His father was a great Dragons person.
Speaker 1: He's come in when the club desperately needed him, and he's done the right thing, and it could end up resulting in him missing out on the top job. So I feel a bit sorry for him. Do you think he's the man to take them forward?
Speaker 3: I'm with Sophie. I'd probably like to see a few more wins. Having said that, I love the way every time he's been in front of the media, how he speaks about the job he's got to do, how much he cares about the club. Before the Broncos game, he said, we lost the physical battle against the Warriors, and our focus this week has been to win the physical battle. And his young forward pack responded to that so clearly. You know, and even guys that haven't been playing well like vour Homes, you know, finally, delivered. So he might not have the wins on the resume, but if he's got the backing of the players, then you know, maybe he is the right guy to take them forward.
Speaker 4: It's also not going to get harder, Like next year is coming in with a great spine. They've got some great recruits coming in. This is the hardest it's going to be for him for the next eighteen months if he to get the gig. Like, it is really tough right now.
Speaker 1: All right, it seems like every week we get stuck into the same topic. Winch comes out of Bellmore, another loss, a very cranky Cameron Serrelo at full time over a couple of on field rulings.
Speaker 2: Alex, what did you make of.
Speaker 1: The two decisions that Sorello was cranky about the no try to Stephen Crydon and of course the big one was the charge down by Josh Curran.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's unfortunate, but that is the rule that the player charging down can't hit a player's leg, and there's been If you want to win about that one, then there's about twenty teams that get to wings as well where there's been nominal contact. Making the argument that will Jerome just turned around and run, So it wasn't that big a deal that shouldn't come into play.
Speaker 2: The will is the rule.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter a player gets a head knock and they get up and keep running, They've still had a head knock. So the a lot of argument that Surroundo was using there doesn't work. It's the rule. You might want to change the rule, but that's the rule. The other one is the collision with Kiraz and.
Speaker 2: Was it Truba. Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: Understand what the big why everyone's so upset. It just seemed like a genuine contest and you can't stop momentum physics is going to happen.
Speaker 2: It didn't look like an illegal play. I look, corraz actually was the instagrator. He ran into Taruva another way around. Yeah, and like him.
Speaker 4: Some Bulldogs fans are saying, oh, he was offside, it should never have happened, but they review that, and again, offsides are very difficult to review. So there wasn't like special significant mistreatment of the Bulldogs. You could argue they were unlucky, but it wasn't undeserved.
Speaker 1: I think so Alos just I think he's frustrated the year that he wanted to have is just not happening. Another one we talked about was the Crichton no try he grounded the ball on someone's leg. I think it was you could see straight away that he was anxious because he tried to roll over very quickly to get it down, which indicated that he knew straight away that it wasn't a try. So I think as much as I irritated the dogs, I think both those decisions were right now for Timmy, you wrote about this this morning, the Stephen Crichton decision not to challenge a fumble from Lachland Gown and when Galvin did say, please challenge it, what did.
Speaker 2: You make of it?
Speaker 3: It was definitely an interesting and in the commentary it was just described as a bit of a flashpoint. I don't think in the grand scheme of things, it's probably a bit of a storm in a teacup. But when you think about the fact that Galvin is the number seven and the general you know when he might not be the captain, but when your number seven is saying to the captain, oh, you know, look, I'm pretty sure this wasn't a fumble, And if you look at the replay, it wasn't a fumble, Kaypeerspoort does make a raking motion at the ball. You know, it makes you think, okay, is there there's Critter, the captain not fully trust his number seven, and again is that problematic? In real time? To Crutter's defense and the ref's defense, it did look like it was a knock on. It wasn't until it was slowed down. Eventually Critter said, okay, let's challenge it. By that point it was too late. So yeah, look, it was something that Canonbury fans I got copped a bit of heat on social media about bringing that up, sort of like stirring the pot. But Cannaber fans did notice it as well, and pretty instantly. Bulldogs insiders have almost immediately knocked back the suggestion that there's some sort of you know, distrust or issue between Galvin and Crichton crighton to me and in a lead up to last his final series like launched an impassioned defense of Galvin. So I don't think there's any kind of personal issues between them, but you know, on the surface, it did seem like that the captain doesn't trust his number seven, which you know could be problematic.
Speaker 1: What did you make with a body language Alex with Crochton and Galvin, did you see anything in there? Without being body language experts, clearly yeah, did you see something there that you thought or something's.
Speaker 2: Just not quite right here?
Speaker 4: No, I honestly, like I'm not a body language expert, so it just looked like he was like distrusting. It looked like a strip, and then it didn't look like a strip for Crichton, and then he's made the decision as challes but it's too little, too late. But for me, I think and maybe Bulldogs fans can speak into this, but gascutters come out and said that we're taking responsible, we're taking this on the chin. This is all good, but I keep seeing a lack of responsibility and ownership from the Bulldog's leadership, particularly Surrealdough, like he's blaming that, he's blaming that they didn't get the call on the rake. Well, they should take responsibility on what we're talking about and use the captain's challenge. And this is not the first time there's been discussion about referees. There's been other times where it's like hints, it wasn't so volatile and passionate, but he's very very regularly throughout the season.
Speaker 2: Put some blame on the refs.
Speaker 1: I think the six agains two were seven nil to the bull Yeah, so they got the rubber of the grain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there was also you know, Sitily Chupreneur was lucky that he didn't get SimBin for that shot shoulder touch charge on m I C. Macasini. There was I think the was it the Galvan try as well, where when that was slowed down it looks like the river got his hand in between the ball. Looked like a bit of separation. So yeah, it's you know, we're not used to seeing coaches who lose say they didn't get the rubb of the green, but there was just as many that could have gone the Tiger's way they didn't.
Speaker 1: I'll ask you a question, put you on the spot, Alex. Do the Bulldogs play finals football this year?
Speaker 4: I generally thought whoever won this game, whoever lost this game is kind of said goodbye to finals. I think there's still space for that. They could do it, but that's the kind of game they need to win. And I've been piling on the Bulldogs here, but I actually thought they played well. I thought they were aggressive, Setilli was like insane. He looked illlegal to run that hard and fast, so they had.
Speaker 2: They have the hunger.
Speaker 4: They've just got a similar problem to the Dragons where they can't convert their opportunities into points. So because of that, because they just can't, it's just clunky. They almost never go left. I don't see them making finals.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I think we saw one of, if not the games of the year out there at Combak Stadium on Sunday night, the Panthers against the Warriors, even with five State of Origin players rested. It was a classic game, high quality elite footy. Alex, what did you make of it? It was unbelievable.
Speaker 4: If I was like, hey, we want an advertisement for the game, and I wanted to bring someone new to get into footy, that's the I take them to. The discipline from both teams was amazing. The collision was so good. There was argie bargie, there was getting in people's faces. It was tight down to the last minute. You didn't know what the result would be. And the atmosphere I was there at the stadium, the atmosphere was insane. The Warriors fans turned out and sometimes it felt like we were at a Warrior's home game. It was electric energy, players played phenomenally. The refereeing was very decent, like you couldn't really criticize the refee.
Speaker 2: Just an unbelievable spectacle determined.
Speaker 1: Do you think we saw the Grand Final in late May or should I say the Grand final teams.
Speaker 2: May? Yes?
Speaker 3: I think so far we're almost at the halfway point of this season. There's no doubt that Penrith and the Warriors have been the two best teams and most consistent teams all year. Can you imagine a Panthers Warriors Grand Final, I mean, just the Warriors against anybody in a Grand Final, considering this surge of support that they have in the last couple of years. It'd be amazing, talk about, you know, a spectacle the game, It'd be absolutely amazing. But yeah, I still think, I mean, there is definitely now at a point in the season where we can see there is a gap between Penrith and the Warriors and everyone else.
Speaker 1: Well, I wrote Bulldogs bite today on Lourie Daily, and how I think that the state of New South Wales or many people aren't showing him the full respect. New South Wales into Queensland on Queensland. They won in the final minute. Yes, Carlin Ponger was sent off. I understand that thoroughly, but we had six debutantes and I think ultimately Lourie isn't getting the respect that he deserves. We won as in New South Wales, yet the way he's been chastised it's like we got beaten. So I just think Lurie deserves a bit more credit for what he did. I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that will disagree, Alex.
Speaker 2: What did you make it look? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I disagree and I love Laurie. Think he's a respectable, likable guy. But you'll get respect when you get a series win, and that's what it's going to come down to. Yes, they've won, and there were some parts of his decision made that we're very astute, Like the Bradley one, We're all like, what's going on?
Speaker 2: That was great, But the pack that he.
Speaker 4: Chose, not starting with Murray, how the team actually played, they couldn't get it to the edges. There's a lot going on there that I think is questionable and we must remember, yes we won, to be proud of the win, but if Queenslanders were claiming that if they played like we played and were claiming a win, I'd be calling them diluted like we were insipid for the first sixty minutes. It took a major game breaking moment for us to click into gear. And yes we clicked into gear, we stayed present. We won, but there's still so we will get smoked if we played like game one and Queensland have thirteen players for Game two.
Speaker 2: What did you make of it? Tim? Do you think we're not giving the Blues enough credit for the victory? Yes?
Speaker 1: As I said before, it was extenuating circumstances that New South Wales won and we literally run inside the final minute.
Speaker 2: But a win's a win. Yeah. Origin comes down to.
Speaker 1: Big moments and we own the big moments.
Speaker 2: Yep, Am I being unfair toward Cooinsland?
Speaker 3: Umm? Look, I agree, a win's a win. In a three game series, a win is a win, so you take it. But there's no doubt because we got that win against twelve men that it is slightly tainted. And like Soapie said, we weren't great like especially in that first half. And my fear is that if we start patting ourselves on the back, then all of a sudden, you know, there's this we're convincing ourselves that we don't need to make any changes when.
Speaker 2: Clearly we do.
Speaker 3: Like there was a lot of criticism about Lurie's forward pack. I thought it was interesting that some of the first changes he made midway through the first half. I thought, oh, you know, Adam f Noah Blake and Mitch Barnett were clearly gassed. You're going to go to sidh Feedi for another big man, especially because we weren't getting that go forward. But he went with the two small men in Cam Murray and Victor Radley, and to be honest, that was a pretty good move because all of a sudden they sort of changed the energy of the game for the Blues. I think Laurie was brave to pick players like Ethan Strange, to pick players like Casey McLean. I'm a Ratus fan and even I thought, oh, like, this is he's not picking that Ethan Strange of last year where the Raiders were the minor premiers. The Raiders have been struggling and he hasn't been at his best, but he goes out there and plays like his yeah, being playing origin his whole life and then he backs it up on the weekend with an incredible performance against the Cowboys. Same thing with Casey McLean. So in terms of that, I think Laurie deserves his Jews because he has added some fresh blood and I think we reap the rewards of that, but I still think some changes need to be made.
Speaker 2: It's one of those changes.
Speaker 4: Alex Well, it's always nuanced, right, So he's clearly Laurie's done phenomenally with younger talent. The younger talent's really overperformed. What are those changes? Well, if paynhas is fitting ready, he's coming back in, that's got to be number one that we put back in. Outside of that, I think my opinion is that you've got to start Cameron Murray at lock and you move Yo into the front row and just get a bit more agility and mobility in that pack. They were gassed, the players that he chose were gased and we were losing that line speed within the first twenty minutes. I definitely thought the person would get gas first was flag and he outlasted the new South Wales Park. So he's got to make some changes there where they can get some more longevity minutes and energy from the middles.
Speaker 2: Mitchell Moses, Liam Martin Boughts.
Speaker 3: I don't think Liam Martin had a pretty quiet return from injury, so I don't know where he factors. That's crazy sort of saying that because you talk about players made for Origin and Liam Mardin is that guy. But you know, maybe there's a spot from on the bench because I think Hutson Young did well. Ola Kawatu. You know you're probably not dropping those guys just yet, either of them. Sorry, he was the other one, Mitch Moses. So yeah, I think it all depends on how bad his hamstring injury is. The ils a hopeful he could probably play in that King's Birthday game of Monday against the Bulldogs, but today they have day off Paramatta, so they're waiting for him to come back on the Tuesday to sort of assess where he is. But you know, Ethan Strangers got to be in that team somewhere, And.
Speaker 1: Just finally on the Blues, Alex, I'll ask you the Nathan Cleary narrative. He was quiet, There's no doubting that for the first sixty old minutes. But when the crunch moments came forty twenty try and people have probably acknowledged the bomb. Yeah, I know it's only a bomb, but he landed pinpoint. Yeah, it's another meter short. Teddy doesn't fall over the line, So he owned the big moments.
Speaker 2: Nathan. Does the narrative change or does he have to win the series for it to Joe?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm gonna speak to any Queenslanders or doubters. If the New South Wales win this series, the debate over Cleary is over. He played phenomenally. It doesn't matter if they were down a man. He's the one that led them and carried the team there. When you say when we say he was quiet, of course he was quiet because his team sucked. What can I have to do if his teammates are dropping the ball all the time in their own half, you can't do anything. So what matters, though, is that when the win was on the line, he led the team to victory. And he also when we got down into Queens's territory in.
Speaker 2: The first half.
Speaker 4: We're not really talking about how believable his grubble was to set up that try. So the debate will be over. If they get the series, it's over. He led New South Wales to that victory. Doesn't matter if they were a man down. It matters if you win. And when we call that bomb a hit and hope, it totally disrespects the talent, skill composure to land that on a dime for your start full back to catch it.
Speaker 1: And just lastly, Teddy's decision, sorry Laurie's decision to pick Tedesco. Did that try justify the selection?
Speaker 2: I think it did.
Speaker 4: I think if he butchers the other try and that that's the end of the story, it's going to be a more question more controversial decision. But what did James Sidesco do wrong? In the backfield? He was catching every ball, He was safe as houses. It was a difficult game. Again, his teammates were not playing well. I think Teddy's done enough. I actually generally think Teddy established himself as an origin legend in that moment, considering from what he's overcome.
Speaker 2: He was dropped.
Speaker 4: He also botched a try, but champions step up and he called it Cleary, Hey kick it, I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Go for it. That's a champion to me.