Speaker 1: O get a team. It's you project. Probably no surprise when I say that, because every time you turn into the you project and here my voice, probably think to yourself self, it's probably gonna be the you project, And fucking fuck here it is the project that's you. Tiffany and cook is often here. Today is no exception. She's been eating her namesake with gay abandoned gay abandon not with a D on the end, how's the cookie saga continuing?
Speaker 2: So good? Mate, so good?
Speaker 3: Because be not an honorable mention last night at your at your gig and implanted them into my mind and I the sun was out today and I thought, what a beautiful day. Couldn't get better than this? Oh, it could get a little bit better than this, And so I toddled up for a morning tea cookie. It got better.
Speaker 1: I reckon the do you reckon the joy? And you know the dopamine and all the great things that those cookies do for you off set the sugar.
Speaker 3: Have I ever had any cookie remorse?
Speaker 2: Ever?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not talking about your emotional state or your sociopathy around cookies. I'm talking about the net benefit. Do you think that overall there's a net benefit for you.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: Wow, you should do like a twenty eight day cookie trial. Just have three cookies a day, nothing else. I like that.
Speaker 3: Did you ever see that hit me out of the healthy range of cookies?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a show. Hello doctor Denise. We should probably say hello, how are you?
Speaker 2: No, I'm really intrigued, like, what are these cookies? I'm good, I'm good, But tell me about the cookies. For those that don't know, including me, you're the only.
Speaker 1: One that doesn't know she talks about these. You're the only one that doesn't know she talks about them all the time. But do tell doctor Denise. No, I'm sure there's a few people.
Speaker 3: There's a cookie shop up the road for me. And they are life changing cookies, Denise. They are the best cookies in the world, and I am wholeheartedly addicted to them. I cannot stop. I have introduced them to everyone that I can and they concur that the cookies are life changing. So if you're ever around this way, do.
Speaker 2: You think that they got onto the fact like a lot of the big food companies have that magic ratio of like fat and sugar and salt that just just lights up the whole brain because there is this certain ratio that is purely addictive, and a lot of the big food companies know that they particularly make foods with certain ratios to make you addicted to them.
Speaker 3: And the texture. So they have got you know, that Jubai chocolate, which I don't I'm not excited about, but it's got this crispy stuff in the middle, So they have that in the center of these cookies. Oh, my goodness, party in your mouth.
Speaker 2: Wow. My husband and my son that love cookies, so I might have to get some and get their verdic.
Speaker 1: Yes, when you talk about it's a little bit creepy when you talk about those, because you're like a creepy old man, but like a creepy middle aged woman talking about cookies like with such lust. Such it's just makes me feel a little bit unnerved.
Speaker 3: Perimenopause has been a rough ride, and the cookies have been the light at the end of the tunnel.
Speaker 2: What can I say?
Speaker 1: What's perimenopause doing to you? By the way, how is it?
Speaker 3: I feel like we've hit Calma waters. Now we've hit the waters. I've got a new training regime. The nervous system feels settled. Sleep can sometimes be a little bit of an issue. Still three point thirty wake up this morning. But we're settling in.
Speaker 1: Doctor Denise, we probably don't need to ask you, but fuck it, while all our girls, while all us girls are just chatting about our hormones, How are you? How are you traveling?
Speaker 2: I leave it or not. I'm doing okay considering I've come off the back of six weeks of almost back to back travel. I've et in the US, Hong Kong home, three days, London, Dublin, London. And what exacerbates my symptoms at a four forty seven year old perimenopause or woman is the time zones, the sleep, the eating differently, you know, the quartisol. I'm up, but I am pretty proud to say, and I think I can say this with confidence. My sleep is pretty good, but I've really work on it. And where I'm not consistent is you know the exercise that's twenty twenty six. And we might even touch on that, Craig, because I've had people asking me from a podcast a few ago that we didn't follow up on an exercise thin wit chatted about with me. But I work really hard on my sleep. But this is not a new thing. I haven't I realized the terminology, the words that I've used. I've always said, you know, I'm not a great sleeper. You know, we obviously have these sleep experts that say sleeps your superpower. I would say sleep's not my superpower. But now that I track, and I'm not saying everyone should track, because some people it causes them more anxiety. But I'm often pleasantly surprised. You know, Okay, I might have only got five hours sleep, but I actually got you know, two hours of deep sleep, an hour and forty five of rem I'm like, that's good. I got a lot of restorative sleep. But I work on it. I have a I plan my sleep. When I'm traveling, I try to have a wind down wind down not wine, because that is not good for sleep. Wind down routine. I have to clarify that because if you people go, oh cool, a wine, wine, wine down routine. I'll have some wine at night. No, no wine. And I do have a little bit of a supplement regime, but the supplements I don't think would work if I wasn't doing everything else, and you know, trying to get out in the morning see the sunlight as soon as I get to the other side of the world. What am I doing. I'm walking. I'm trying to get into that time zone, you know, eating at certain times. So my sleep, believe it or not, during this stage and with everything I do, is good. But I've focused on sleep for many, many years as someone that's had children and one the second one was not a good sleeper and an auto imune condition, and understanding rest and stuff. So sleep's been my priority. And actually for all the listeners out there that think, you know, I can't do anything about it, when you really do start to understand your triggers and what you need to do, you know there's no point going to bed if you're wide awake. Like for example, I was just in Sydney last week and I was at at dinner even though it was eleven o'clock at night and past my bedtime. I'm an old lady. I didn't go to bed in the hotel room. I stayed up for an hour just packing my bag, chilling out, having a CAMAMALTI because I know that's going to relax me. By the time I go to sleep, I'll be ready to go to sleep. I'm going to have a better sleep than laying there going oh past my bedtime. I've got to wake up early for a flight. So yeah, that's my little two cents for you all.
Speaker 1: Wow, nice monologue, doc. Yeah, I think I did a gig last night and we had a room full of humans and we were talking about all of that, like just the you know, the big jigsaw puzzle pieces like you know, movement and exercise and food and socialization and sleep and hydration and booze and just all the pieces that kind of move the needle one way or the other depending on your relationship with that particular variable. But yeah, I think that the hardest really is is sleep, because like you can just choose to eat better, and now you're eating better. You can choose to move your body more, and now you're moving your body more. But you can't just choose to have a good night's sleep. You know, that's kind of out of your control. Yes, there are things that you can do to prove the chances of having a better night's sleep, but I think that's the toughest. You know, probably that and anxiety, like sleep and just managing one's mind, and obviously they go hand in hands. Poor sleep and overthinking and rumination those things don't always but often go together. Yeah, but there are so many things which it's really just a matter of making that decision and doing that thing. All right, well, I'm doing four weeks with no booze. Cool, Well that's just a decision and not saying it's an easy one, but it's absolute. You just do it. And now I'm ten days in, I've had no booze, so every day I've had no booze. But you can't say I'm going to do twenty eight days of sound asleep. You can't do that. So you've got to go. Fuck. I hope I sleep tonight. What are the things that I can do to optimize my chances of sleeping well? And then some people do that, but then they worry so much about sleep that then they get into bed worried that they're not going to sleep. And that's that fucking anxiety about the sleep that keeps them awake.
Speaker 2: And I think I used to be that person. As I said, tracking for me, believe it or not, has been a huge reduction in anxiety, because I think I got to the point of, you know, thinking that I'm just not a good sleeper. Every time i'd wake up I'd be like, oh my god, I've waken up, and you know, it was a problem. And my poor husband's so scared to you know, make a noise at night. Like I'll give you one example. I live in Queensland, you know, near Noosa, and everything's huge. Spiders, a huge, snake's are huge. And there was a big spider in the walking robe which is behind us. And by the way, welcome back to Queensland and East. We've got spiders and we've got jellyfish and it's so crazy living up here.
Speaker 1: How big was this spider? Exactly? It was a wolf.
Speaker 2: Spider the size of my hand. And I must be getting better because once upon a time I would have just been screaming my head off. But I guess one jet lag. But also I'm getting immune to these things. But Ryan's from Queensland, He's not scared of this stuff. But he was in the walking robe trying to trap this spider, worried he was going to get into the clothes, and he said he felt like he was fighting it, but he was trying to catch it in a shoe box. But he was trying to be really quiet because he was so scared of waking me up because he knows how you know, anxious I used to get about sleep. But we had a conversation because he actually mentioned he said, you know, you focus so much on sleep, but you know what about the exercise, even if he now mentions it. And I was like, I actually think I'm a good sleeper. And this is very new, like this is very very recent, as in like weeks, as in the last few weeks. I've just changed my dialogue that actually I am a pretty good sleeper. And with all the life and with all the lifestyle things I do and all the stuff going on, I have now worked. And it's not that I always have a perfect sleep, don't get me wrong. But I know what I can do to improve my sleep. I know what's going to disrupt my sleep, and if I do have one bad night's sleep, it's not a big deal. Like that's where I'm at.
Speaker 1: You know what you don't want. You don't want your partner to wake you up at three am saying, oh, I hope I'm not making any noise. I just I'm trying to find a spider that's as big as your hand. But I can't fucking see it.
Speaker 2: I can't throw the light on and I can't make noise because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you feel some jogging across your face that's a bit hairy, that could be old mate. Let me know. I'll come and put a shoe box over it and your face. That's only in Australia. All our American listeners are like, oh my god, yeah no, you don't want that. Fuck that. I've got friends who see Daddy long legs and freak the fuck out. Imagine that that would be four months in hospital for them.
Speaker 2: When you come from Melbourne, all of the things scare you for many years. But it's been eight years of living up here now and I'm definitely becoming more immune to the freak out. Like I used to scream very loudly, very very loudly, people probably thought I was being attacked, whereas now there's I don't have such a big response to these things.
Speaker 1: I'm not a guru like you are, So I'm going to ask you a question ree things that people can take. Supplements, vitamins, drugs, good bad, not bad, but that might move the needle with sleep. So is melatonin does that actually do anything? I know that that's been used for a long time to help people sleep is that effective.
Speaker 2: So for me personally obvious, everyone's different. It's such a game changer. I really only need a very low dose, like the one I takes one and a half milligrams. If I'm really on you know, it's day night and I worried about my sleep, I might have three milligrams. You know, some people have ten. I don't advise higher doses. That's just a lot, but often less is better most people in Australia, if you're you don't need a script anymore. If you have insomnia, or you're over fifty, certain certain things, you can just go to the pharmacist. It's their discretion and most of the time they'll give you a two milligram slow release melotone. And I think if you are having issues sleeping, like it's becoming an issue you do, think you've got insomnia, or you're having anxiety, or you're traveling into nationally like I do, I would suggest using it, but I don't suggest using it long term. So we don't have any hard data to say that long term is dangerous. But very recently there was a big scare in the media that long term malatonia increases risks of cardiovascular events. However, when I dug into the research, actually it's a kind of retrospective study. They've just gone back to hospital records and they've associated people that mark down taking melatonin with sort of heart attacks. But it's people taking malatonin for years. But the truth is a lot of people taking melatonin might not have reported it. The ones that were taking melatonin might have had more insomnia and serious issues, and that could have been the issue around the cardiovascular events. So when you look at the study, it actually brings up more questions than answers. But the media jumped on it and made it sound like if you're having melatone and you're increasing risk of heart attacks. I even got a bit scared. But as I said, I went to the research paper and it made me think, well, I don't take it consistently. You know, I'm not taking it for years and years. It's not high dose, but we don't want to be reliant on something. But if you are having issues, to maybe get you out of that funk, get you out of that anxious period, melotonin can be really helpful for most people. And I'd always start the lowest dose possible and then you know, build up slowly if you think it's not helping, So that's really going in strong though, Like melotonin's like straight to the stuff. There'd be things I would do before melotone and basic things. Magnesiums very calming for people at night. Some people benefit up a lot just from magnesium. L cnine is something. There's a particular type of lthanine, the alpha wave lthanine. Lots of different brands have that specific form of lthanine that's been studied, the alpha wave that really helps with the deep sleep. I again respond really well because I do tracking and even just little things like a wind down routine, something at night that you're not sitting there scrolling social media, even if you think it's not stressing you out, you know, don't. You can't. You can't control what you see, and then something triggers you and then you get a little bit of caught. That cortisole stops your natural malatonin, which is your sleep hormone. And I should have mentioned that if people don't know what malatonin is, it's your natural hormone that increases during the night. It's what comes up at night and helps us sleep. And it's really more about our body understanding that Cicadian rhythm, which is that day night cycle. We do have rhythms and cycles, and one of the best things you can do, aside from all the supplements, is just waking up in the morning and seeing the sun telling your body it's morning, and then at night being in the dark and just calming down the system to go okay, day night. This is how it should work. You know, we confuse ourselves with all the blue light, the stresses eating late at night, you know, sleeping in or not seeing the light in the morning. People are wearing sunglasses and that the body doesn't know, or they're wearing even blue blockers in the morning. A lot of people now having blue blockers. I don't have mine on today, but I usually wear mine in the day for the screen, and people think our blue blockers are great all the screen, But that's more at night. It's actually normal to see some blue light in the morning. So there's a lot of mixed signals from just our environment that we can work on before we even think about supplements. You know, just getting up doing some movement, a bit of a bit of walking or something in the morning and then not having that blue light at night.
Speaker 1: Do you think that this is anecdotal, but it seems to me like more women struggle to sleep great than men. What's your observation. I don't know if that's research so.
Speaker 2: True and it's so annoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's like, dude, it's like, oh, a rock, I'll be asleep just now. Yeah. Like I feel like we're like bears. I said this last night when I did my gig. We're talking about sleep, and I said, yeah, I apologize, but I could literally go to I could be watching television while drinking coffee at ten o'clock and fall into a coma and sleep for eight hours like a rock, just inhaling caffeine and having my brain stimulated by a screen.
Speaker 2: My husband just no problem sleeping. My son. He's thirteen and he's been like this. So it's a difficult everyone who's a baby, but most are. But by about ten months he started sleeping through. My daughter no, but that was more complicated. But she didn't sleep through the night till she was five. Hence why I said, I've had a long term sleep issue. I really have to work on sleep. But with Harry it's phenomenal. Sometimes I think he's faking it. My son goes to bed and he's out, like, see you later. Just my daughter. Now, I don't know if she's just it's genetic and she's like me, or if it is a male female. I'm just going on what happens in my household. But in my household, the males just go to sleep. Estelle, My daughter is just like me. So we've got an audiobook on, we're reading a story, or we're just doing a little bit of coloring. Again, it's that wine down. She wants to talk to you. Oh, no, I need to go to the toilet now, Oh I didn't get my water bottle. Like it goes on for an hour. It's fascinating to watch Harry just bed sleep done.
Speaker 1: Do you think that that that trait for women to well, this is our theory anyway, it's working theory everybody. For women maybe not to sleep as great as men is more about physiology and biochemistry or emotions or psychology. Is it that women worry more? That women are more empathetic, so they're are half the night fucking thinking about stuff and worrying about stuff, and men are just we're all just sociopaths.
Speaker 2: To sleep on a rock, I do think there's a lot to do with the cognitive part. What you're talking about overthinking, just very much stimulated, not being able to just sort of switch off as quickly as men. You know, sometimes I ask my son or your husband or even you know, you speak to men, and you know they might not actually really be thinking about anything. You know, what are you doing? Oh no, I'm just doing what I'm doing. You know, women are often doing what they're doing thinking about ten thousand things, like we've just got so much going on in our brain. So I do think that is a big component. I also think post baby, even tho I'm talking about my daughter who's only nine, you know, taking longer to get to sleep and just to calm down. I think my sleep got a lot. There was a real period of years and years where I was an extremely light sleeper, whereas now, even though I'm perimenopausal, I'm actually getting a bit more deep sleep. But for many years I didn't. Yes, my daughter used to wake me up, but even when she wasn't waking me up, I was just you're on this like any noise, any noise, and it's so annoying when your husband doesn't hear the noises. Oh my god, did you hear her? Did you hear like anything? I'm up? And I do think that is some evolutionary maternal thing, protective mechanism to be like, are the kids okay? Again, we don't know this for sure, but I definitely had years of very very light sleep and everything woke me up, every single noise.
Speaker 1: It was crazy at forty seven, tip, how old are you? Forty two?
Speaker 2: Forty two?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Maybe at forty seven and somebody who has been research and learning and at the cold phase of education and teaching and coaching and writing and speaking and building businesses and using your mind and your brain NonStop and then solving problems like raising kids and relationships and just navigating life. How do you think your brain is at forty seven? Your cognitive function, your mental acuity, your memory, you're from one of a better term? Your brain performance? How do you do you have any do you go? I think it's about as good as it's ever been. It's maybe a bit worse at this, a bit better at that. How do you Because I think about my brain performance a lot, because I'm old, like way older than you, and I think about you know, I'm I'm more concerned with my cognitive function than my biceps. And that's fucking saying something for me, because you know, there was about fifty years where I'm like, it's all about, you know, insecure, overthinking, ego driven, maniacal. Not fifty years, but a good thirty years where I've just cared way too much about how I looked. And it's funny. Now I just think about how can I make my brain work great? What's your brain kind of performance?
Speaker 2: Like I would say right now, I'm pretty happy, you know, as someone who's predisposed to Alzheimer's and dementia, you know, obviously that's a concern for me as well. But I'm pretty happy with my mental capacity, my ability to learn and perform and memory and things like that. I wouldn't say I'm at my best because I think we just don't completely understand the potential we have. And I do think I still probably take on too many things to really excel. Like I think if you really want to excel, you need to be a bit more focused. And sometimes I'm a bit distracted too many things happening. But overall, I'm very happy with my with my ability to learn to retain new information, which I think is important. And I feel like I I even though you know I would be kind of mid age, I feel like I'm still growing, Like I don't feel old, which is great to say after six weeks of international travel. Like at the moment, I'm actually feeling believe it. I'm not pretty good, But as I said, I've been very much focused on sleep, very much focused on basic things like walking, hydration, like such basics. But I have to factor them in. I have to factor them in so that I don't burn out. But I feel like my brain's pretty good. Next year, I will do a lot less international travel and I want to focus more on clinic and get back into seeing these patients that are very much interested in their cognitive health. And I'll probably bring back in the cognitive assessments that we did in Melbourne, so the clinic down the road from you craig your health. In Brighton we used to do cognitive assessments. So there are little memorys and things you can do to assess your memory and if it's deceived, if there is a bit of cognitive decline, and by the way, if there is, it doesn't mean that's it. We actually can do a lot to improve it. I think I'll bring these things back in next year because they are important tools. I like tools, as you can tell, I like to track. But generally I feel I'm really happy to say I feel great considering my mum was really having memory issues, strange things, even hallucinations, but she sort of had weird like frontal lobe stuff going on before the diagnosis. But mumum was having symptoms at my age. And I'm definitely not. I'm not like I'm doing well.
Speaker 1: That's great. What about you cook? You're forty two, but I feel like you're learning and studying and researching and creating more than you were probably twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And I think a lot of that comes down to just knowing how my brain works, and except like knowing what I'm good at and what I'm not and how to work with that better and how to support that. Like I'm you know, focus is challenging at times, and attention to detail, you know, but like there's things that I'm naturally greater at and there's things that I'm not, and I'm less critical about that, which means I can optimize it easier.
Speaker 2: M M.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting thing, isn't it when you know that you're not you know, like for you, because you've got all the ADHD all of it. Look up, look up that in the dictionary. Yeah, yeah, yeah, just with a barrel full of cookies. Jeez, that shop gets a lot of mileage. And no we're not sponsored by them.
Speaker 2: You should consider that though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you just wonder like should should this be? Do I just optimize what I've got, like my natural abilities and my natural like let's say I'm very creative and I can tell good stories and I'm a bit funny, and do I lean into that more and develop that or do I like because sometimes I look at what TIFs gould, which is a lot of things that I'm not good at, same with Melissa, and I think, oh fuck, should I get better at that stuff? Should I use my brain in that way? And then I just go, nah, I'm not interested, Like I'm not interested. But then you know, obviously, doing what I've been doing at UNI for the last six years is a very different kind of environment and focus for me. But even though you know you're often doing stuff which is not fun or easy or painless or comfortable or all of those things. In an academic environment, and as you well know, Denise, but that that kind of using or that kind of use of my brain has been really good for me beyond academia. It's like really expanded the way that I think, and it's really expanded me in ways that I didn't expect, beyond just learning how to research and how to run studies and interpret data and write papers and read papers and a fucking thesis and all that stuff. But it's like for me, I reckon thirty or forty percent of it is getting the PhD, but sixty percent of it maybe is all the cognitive benefits. I feel my brain works better now than when I started. And when I started, I was fifty six, so you know, and now I'm sixty two. So for me, that's a really and maybe I'm wrong, but you know, how do you know? But as objective as I can be about me and my brain and my mind and my cognitive performance, it feels like like I don't I don't feel like I lose my place or I blank out, or almost the opposite. It's like I can't get the shit out of my head quick enough. It's like my mouth works at one, my mouth works at one, and my brain works at two point zero and my gob can't keep up with my brain sometimes.
Speaker 2: Ohel, I feel exactly the same, and I'm a bit similar to you. I feel like my brain is probably better now than it was twenty years ago, even though I was doing research and working space, because I'm still learning, and I use that word growing. I think I'm really growing and a bit like what Tiff said, Yes, academically, because I'm always looking at the research, but I'm also learning what works me and what doesn't and being okay with things because there are certain things I'm good at, like I'm better at speaking that I am writing. But I'm really starting to lean into writing. I've had to write, I had to write a thesis, I've got to write papers. But I really don't like it, and something's changing. I'm starting to enjoy putting things down on paper. I think it's not so much the writing. I enjoy sharing, and I think the talking and speaking on stages all the time is exhausting. Writing's kind of nice if I'm not putting that pressure on myself to be perfect. Maybe That's where I'm at now. I'm getting older, I'm less of a perfectionist to think I didn't like writing because I thought I wasn't good at it, just it was never happy with it. When you speak, that's it, it's done, can't change it. But writing I can go over it and over it and over it, and I'll never be happy. Whereas now it's like just get it out there. This information is and now it's like this information is so important if again we're thinking about brain health, like people need to know this stuff. It could change people's life. It doesn't matter how it's written. The content has got to get out there. So I feel like I'm growing, and I think for everyone listening, Yes, you want to focus on what you're good at because you love it and you're more likely to do well because it's your passion and you enjoy it. But you definitely want to stretch yourself. You definitely want to do things that are hard, things that you don't like, because that's where you will grow in other areas and you'll actually get you will get a level of satisfaction and growth keeps in that word. I don't usually use that word, but that's sort of what's coming to me. Because even if you're in forty fifty, sixty seventy, you can still be growing your mind, growing your muscles. We're not over at a certain age, so I think you know everything you've done, Craig. So good for your brain. And when we again thinking about cognitive decline or cognitive ability, there was a paper published in April. And not that we need the research to prove this, but it's nice to see good data. But there was a paper published that was looking at the risk factors and the preventative things we can do to reduce dementia in Alzheimer's, stroke and hypertension because they're also closely linked. And when it came to the brain, cognitive activity as a protective factor stood out above everything. Yes, exercise is important, a whole food diet comes up, but activity using your brain. When you're looking at the reason I keep people can't see me because we're on a podcast, but I keep sort of stretching my hand out because it shows you in a circle. There's a visual. But the one that stands out the most is cognitive cognitive activity. Use your brain, keep learning things, keep doing new things, and that will keep your brain young.
Speaker 1: I love the story about the anterior mid singulate core text. You know what that is?
Speaker 2: I am what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yes. So there's part of brain which is called the amc C anterior mid singulate cortex. And when you do hard things, like things that you don't want to do, you know, things that you could delay, like you're like, oh, fuck, I really should clean this up before I go to bed, but fuck it'll it's not going to go anywhere. I'll do it in the morning. But then you just go no, and you go and do it, right, You just go and do that thing. Or you're too tired. You know, you meant to do your ten thousand steps. It's eleven o'clock at night, and you know you could get away with not doing You're up to seven. You've got to do three more, and you could just go to bed, and you go, fuck it, I'm going to go do my three just because I want to tick this box every day and I know I don't have to, but I'm going to. So when you do these things that you don't need to do or you don't have to do by necessity, but you just choose to do them. So you take the you know, the narrow path, not the wide path, or the higher path not the lower path. There's a part of a brain that actually gets bigger, which is that the anterior mid singulate cortex. And Andrew Huberman talks about this quite a lot. But what it does is irrespective of the task. It could be cleaning your room, it could be going for a run, it could be having a hard conversation with somebody that you really don't want to have, but you you just put on your big boy pants or your big girl pants and you go and have the conversation. And so it's in the doing of these things that are mentally and perhaps physically challenged that this part of the brain adapts and crads new neural pathways and physically gets bigger. Then when we do that, over time, we just get better at doing hard things, you know. And it's like the beauty of this is our brain can keep adapting and learning and upgrading pretty much at any age. You know. Obviously, with people with real degradation there are issues. But for the average person listening to this, who isn't in the middle of you know, Alzheimer's or some kind of brain disease. Yeah, the thing is we can all train our brain and prove our cognitive function focus, attention, memory, recall performance, you know, even maths, even writing, even creativity. I mean, that's the beauty of this stuff. That's why I just love the fact that, well two things. One, we have more potential than we understand. I know that sounds cliche, but I truly believe that on a range of levels physically, mentally, emotionally, creatively, professionally, personally, we just have more talent than we realize. But then the next challenge is getting people to actually believe that, because I think our self doubt and our fear gets in the way of what we can do.
Speaker 2: And for those who are listening, you know, you mentioned if someone does have a lot of you know, degradation in the brain or has Alzheimer's, a brain disease. You know, I'm very happy to report that when I was in October, when I was in California in October, just a few months ago, Dale Brettison, who is one of the leaders in Alzheimer's research, was showing phenomenal updates on reversing cognitive decline in Alzheimer's. You know, parts of the brain that had so much damage or all lit up doing the scans and then the improvement you know, in three to six months, and particularly in twelve months. So there is a lot happening, and I came away from that event just like mind blown. The advancements, mind you. I mean they are talking about some pharmaceuticals potentially, there are some drugs coming out, but our focus wasn't on that. The focus is on the lifestyle thing. So he has a pretty it's a very intense program he has reversing Alzheimer's clinics in the US. But it's the diet, it's the exercise, it's the supplements. There's no one protocol that's working out. What were the triggers, you know, if someone got mold, or is it the genetics? You know? Is it this? Is it that you know? There are different things some people say Alzheimer's is you know type three diabetes. A lot of people have blood sugar issues. But it's working through all of that and bringing the body back to balance and people can heal even further along in the journey than what's than once we thought, so really really promising. I would say in the next five to ten years, hopefully it becomes a lot more known that we really can do so much, because I think a lot of people still don't even realize I think that's it. You've got a diagnosis, get your things in order, you know, that's it, You're done. And that's not the case at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, crea teene's getting a fair run at the moment. In the conversation on the interwebs, it's like it's the most spoken about supplement. It's the most researched supplement. Are you having high dose? Are you having the high dose?
Speaker 2: And how high and how much at a time, and how do you feel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't get like some people get diarrhea, some people have gut aches. This is why we need to find out what works for us. I was doing fifteen to twenty grams. I've backed it off. I'm probably having ten or twelve grams a day. So the daily IRDI for that is three to five gram But again this depends on everybody has different tolerances for different things. You know, my mum who weighs forty eight kilos probably shouldn't take what I take, who weighs Nellie double her body weight and so on. But yeah, so my daily protocol is about I would say ten to fifteen, probably somewhere in the twelve. I take two tea spoons which I reckon is about six and six grams slightly heaped, and I feel good. I feel like my brain works better. I would call it cognitive support. I wouldn't call it a miracle or anything. But you know, the thing is that it's hard to know, isn't it, because there are so many variables around what makes your brain work well? Like I sleep really well, so that helps. I don't drink booze, so that helps. I don't eat shit food, so that helps. I stay really well hydrated, so that helps I lift weights. That helps I don't really suffer from anxiety or stress. Helps. I have good social support. A few people love me, so that helps. You know, there are so many things that impact how a person's brain works, you know, for good or bad. Then to try to think, oh, this is going to make a twenty five percent difference or a two percent difference or no difference, it's almost impossible to know because you know you're doing so many things at once. But I think if you for people who want to and whether or not it's with creatine or any kind of intervention or any kind of thing, that you want to try keep everything else the same and introduce one thing you know, don't introduce two things or three things or four things, because then we don't know what's working.
Speaker 2: You know, and consider where you get it from, like maybe speak to someone in a health food store or a pharmacy. You want to get a good quality product. Sometimes it can be exippient. Sometimes you know, things don't have the exact doses. So being very cautious of what you're actually getting and if you have the opportunity working with a but if not, at least speaking to someone at the health food store sometimes as a naturopath or an expert or even the pharmacist that pharmacies usually have someone that's trained in the supplements that you can have a chat to. The reason I ask about the creatine is there was you know these podcasts. I love Ronda Patrick. You know, Ronda Patrick and I do similar things, but she stayed in in research. But she was saying, you know, fifteen grams. I think it was fifteen, maybe more than that, but we'll get rid of jet lag. And there was all this stuff, and I get jet lag, right, I'm flying from the other side. So I had fifteen grams and as I've done it twice now because I thought I may be the first time, and I'm about to use a different type of creatine, even though I know the stuff I've got pure, it's compounded. But anyway, I'm going to try a different one and see if it's the type. But on both occasions, I have felt like awful, like actually a little bit. It made me feel worse, a little bit, almost sort of dizzy, not nice in that, like a little bit, tiny bit not off. I feel more off, and one hundred percent did not get rid of my jet lag. I was devastated. And the first time I thought, oh, maybe that's a one off. The second time, however, now I went to a talk just last month in Hong Kong, but they were saying you never have fifteen grams as a one off, Like they said you should have five grams three times a day. So I thought, okay, maybe that is the issue. Though that wasn't talked about people to say have a high dose. The impression I got is that you needed to have that much for it to cross the blood rain barrier. If you have the smaller doses that we typically have, like five grams, which I'm fine with, you won't get that. But then I've now heard you would never have that much at once because you do get you know, gastrointestinal stuff things like that, have it spread a day. So that's the difficult thing too, you know, knowing how to take things. But yeah, just be cautious. I'm obviously very experimental with myself and I know that I can get good quality products. But for me personally, I did not feel better having that much. Unfortunately, that is not my wonder drug at the moment. But I'll keep you posted if things.
Speaker 1: I did see some research recently on creatine gummy bears and they tested like I don't know, fifty different brands and most of them had nothing in them. Most of them had somewhere between like so gummy bears that were meant to have three grams I think of creatine per gummy bear on average, and most of them had between zero and one. Yeah, and a lot of them had zero creatine, like about half. And people are just people are just basically eating lollies. Yeah, it's such an unregulated, dodgy industry, especially when.
Speaker 2: You buy things online. Like I have patients and they'll be like, oh my god, you know, what do you think about this? And it's this thing, and sometimes they're quite expensive. It's this powder that's marketed as this thing, and it's been on Instagram or TikTok or something, and they come to me and they're like, oh, and then it's a subscription model. There's spending hundreds to get this powder, you know, each month, and it's got all these things. And the first thing I say is where's it mate? Where are they getting the ingredients? I can't advise you. They're like, should I take this? I'm like, the ingredients look great, but are they the ingredients? Are they the dose? I can't advise you because I don't know that product and I don't know who makes it. The things that I'm generally recommending, I know that brand. I trust that brand. You know it's approved through TGA or other regulatory bodies for my international clients. So you do need to be very cautious of what you're taking. And that's another thing I'll say about malatona. I mean, malatonin's got really strict in Australia. Once upon a time people were just buying it online. Now it's really heavily regulated. It's unlikely you'll find it online. But the reason why melatonin, as we used to be prescription only now at the discretion of the pharmacist. If you have a chat, if they're unsure, they might send you to the doctor to get a script. But once upon a time you could just buy it online. It didn't matter. But the reality is they've done the studies and a lot of those ones online had more. Most of the time they had less, but occasionally they had more. But the reason Whyustralia is cracked down is they've had I can't remember the number. To me, it didn't seem striking considering how many children there are in Australia, but I think it was over a thousand reported don't quite beyond that, but reported overdoses of melatonin in children because a lot of parents give these gummies to kids. Now, I don't personally recommend that. I have a daughter who's not a great sleeper, but I don't choose to give her malatonin. I choose to sit with her and as if we read a book, or we have certain things, or in saying that though kids are pretty smart. When I travel, her dad tells her to go to bed, and she goes to bed, but when mum's around. But so I don't choose to give my children malatonin. I do know for children on the spectrum and that have a lot of maybe more anxiety and things like that, you could consider it. It sleeps so important and if it helps, but in general, teaching kids to wind down at night and things like that is I think more important. But we've had lots of overdoses of melatonin in children because they think they're lollies and they overdose and then they're in the hospital, and yeah, big issues there. So that's why it's become almost impossible, which is a good thing to buy online in Australia.
Speaker 1: Can I tell a completely irrelevant to this conversation, but somewhat related to this conversation story. So I never buy anything online and I use one after shave that smells great and it's the only alf to shave I like. It's called a lure by Chanelle. It's a bit fancy, because I'm obviously very fucking fancy. So anyway, Melissa told me to buy it online. You know, it's like it's cheaper, it's the same. So I bought this stuff online. I get it. I'm like giddy up, butter Cup. It was a bit cheaper. Arrived at my post office, which is just up the road, giddy up butter Cup, and I'm like, woo who and I spray it on. I'm like, that doesn't smell like the normal stuff. And then and then I look at the bottle. I look at the thing, and the normal after shave or perfume or whatever you want to call it, it's like it's like a light yellow color. It's like apple juice the color. And this is just clear like water. And I'm like, oh, this isn't it. It's in the same bottle, it's in the same packaging, it's identical. Then you open it and it's not. It's not what I paid for. It's literally not that after shave. And it smells like it doesn't smell terrible, but it doesn't smell great. And yeah, literally different stuff. So that's my that's my one and only fora into online shopping at this point in time.
Speaker 2: You know what I think, which could be not true, but if you are getting a cheaper perfume, it's probably filled with more synthetic parabens, ender crime disruptors. They could be making your balls shrink, like you're getting lots of like estrogen mimicking hormones. And I would consider maybe not using that because I don't know that.
Speaker 1: You're allowed to speak about my balls, just like I'm that not allowed to speak about your vagina. I don't know that that's okay. Like what if I when dang your vagina? You can't say that?
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like if I don't say that, it doesn't hit home. You know, sometimes you say to all women, always an endocrime disrupted. These chemicals are bad. Don't use this makeup, don't use this skincare, don't use this household products. They're like, oh, okay, you know, hormone disrupting da da da kind of connect men, Just go whatever. I'm just going to put the perfume on. I'm just going to spray the gidiotoran under here. I'm just going to put it all over me and I'm going to put this stuff in my hair and it's fine, Like it's fine as if. And you're like, do you know what's in that? You absorb it through your skin, like prostate cancers going through the roof and all of these things. And I'm not saying that's the cause at all, people, that's not the cause on its own, but it's this total load of chemicals and toxins in the environment, and then people made them, got digestive isshoes. They've got some other things going on this and that. It's the total load of all of these things. And these are things we can control. There are some things we can control. And the stuff you put on your skin and your body. It's really if you want to think about reducing risk of chronic conditions and feeling good and not being tied and brainworking, you want to reduce those chemicals.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Craig, and now I'm fucus so sad. Sorry, now I'm depressed, Doctor Denise. It's always good to chat with you. We appreciate you. Of course. Denise and I are running a program in the thriving metropolis of Queensland in Malula bar is it in June or July.
Speaker 2: Is in June twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: We're going to be doing something spectacular up there. We're not exactly sure what yet. I will be letting you know they're what we do.
Speaker 2: We've run through it all.
Speaker 1: We have a pot I know, but well we haven't pushed all of that video that you and I did the world hasn't even seen it yet. Because you and I need to get a little bit organized, but just put aside. We'll tell you what dates very soon. But we're going to have a fun, potentially life changing forty eight hours Denise and I Tip might even come up and say, Hi, who fucking knows weekend on the Sunshine Coast and you are all very welcome, all of you, whole fucking lot of you. We might have to take the whole hotel Denise. Where can people find you and follow you? Connect with you?
Speaker 2: Who can find me on my website? I guess just around Google my name, connect with me on the socials and stuff, or come and listen to this podcast. I'll be on again, but you can see me live in June if you're in Australia and you want to come to the Sunshine Coast. And we do have a plan everyone, it's a great plan, and we're going to be combining our combined knowledge and I'll be talking a bit about science, but not too intense. It's going to be about health, the aging, what you can do to feel good in that moment, but also long term stuff. It's the first time Craig and I have done something like this together in person. It's going to be awesome. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: We're going to have fun. Denise will be the grown up and I'll be the other one. I will say goodbye a fair but Tiffany and cook thank you. Enjoy your cookies, doctor Denise, thank you.
Speaker 2: I will see you all and speak to you all very soon.
Speaker 1: Bye, see you, tiff Thanks