Speaker 1: Peter Kredlin live on Sky News Australia.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the show. I'm Jamie Rogers filling in for Peter Kredlin. Here's what's coming up tonight. Australians hit by a network blackout that left Telstra uses stranded and the government in damage control. The Industry Watchdog is set to investigate. But what insurances do we have that it won't happen again? The global artificial intelligence giant eyeing off more space in Australian data centers, but warnings tonight from the RBA that it could come at a cost to Ossie livelihoods. Plus, we'll head live to London with Nigel Farage setting up a people versus the Establishment by election. So could this chess move boost his popularity or destroy it? We'll find out more. And the Middle East is under fresh pressure tonight after the US launched strikes against Iran. What does this mean for peace negotiations? But first, when your phone says SOS, Thousands of Australians woke up to those three letters, unable to access mobile data and in some cases unable to contact emergency services for hours. Australia's largest telecommunication network stopped working. One Nation's Barnaby Joyce has called for a full investigation.
Speaker 3: Don't want to be paranoid or conspiracy theorist, but we know there is the capacity for people.
Speaker 4: To affect, for Chiya to effect.
Speaker 3: That sort of software and that sort of network, and I hope that that's investigated.
Speaker 2: And Communications Minister Anika Wells, who returned from leave, slammed Barnaby's comments.
Speaker 5: As a general principle, I think when it comes to matters of national security, you shouldn't make stuff up. You've heard from in Telstra acting CEO that there is currently no evidence to suggest that those things are the case, so I think it's irresponsible.
Speaker 2: Now, within the last half an hour, Telstra provided another update. Thankfully all remaining services are back online, but questions still remain.
Speaker 3: Still conducting our investigation into the root cause, but we are confident we have identified a software defect. We've been able to isolate it. We'll provide further technical details of this once that once we complete the investigation. I want to be clear this was not the result of a cyber incident.
Speaker 2: Now, at a press conference earlier today, mister Acklan went to say they must maintain trust in the provider.
Speaker 3: I believe Australia can absolutely have faith in its biggest in its biggest health go and that is Celsterro. We take these outages very very seriously. Our investment in resilience and cybersecurity and redundancy in our network is significant. But it is a big and complex network and from time to time issues do occur.
Speaker 2: But here's the bigger question today expose just how dependent Australia is on a handful of critical systems without enough backup when they fail. Our phones, payment services for business, emergency services, transport networks, frontline workers, all of them rely on communications that work and when they don't, questions are immediate.
Speaker 6: Warrants the government fronting up and getting clear to Australians about what's going on here. And you know, there's many questions Australians that are asking. We saw a provocative, an unwelcome missile launch from the PLA yesterday and I can understand why Australians are drawing that connection.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: I don't know whether there's any connection or lot. I have an idea, but it's no wonder Australians are starting to questions like Daddy.
Speaker 2: Shadow Communications Minister Sarah Henderson says the outedge shows just how far reaching a failure like this can be.
Speaker 7: We've even had reports of people being trapped in trains on the network in Victoria. Of course, when our communications fail, the whole economy crashes.
Speaker 2: And she's right, communications are critical infrastructure. So why aren't we treating him that way? Where are the independent backup systems? Today's outage shouldn't just be another headline, it should be a warning because if one technical fault can bring parts of Australia to a standstill, imagine what a deliberate attack could do. The Opposition leader raised that today this.
Speaker 6: Is how you defend the nation. Now, it's true. The one part of defending the nation is making sure we have the drones and the missile capability and the defense force we need. But in a modern era, cyber attack is real, whatever source might it might come from. So we need to know the answers to these questions and we need them, we need them fast, and that's the point.
Speaker 2: Defending Australia is not just artillery. It's about making sure the systems we rely on every hour of every day can resist a hit. Because in the modern world, a nation that cannot communicate, cannot defend itself feeling poorer, that's because you are. Australians are working harder, paying more tax and according to the OECD, we have suffered one of the biggest falls in living standards anywhere in the developed world since the pandemic. Real wages have fallen by more than five percent since twenty twenty one, and the warns they're expected to fall again this year. Deputy Liberal Leader Jane Hume said labor is to blame.
Speaker 8: People are getting poorer under a labor government. It actually said that our real wages have gone backwards by five point one percent since Labor came to office, But the average OEEDC nation have seen their wages go up by five percent, so that's more than a ten point difference. No wonder Australians are feeling the pinch. This cannot be blamed on anybody else, and yet that seems to be what labor is best at doings.
Speaker 2: Australia is one of the wealthiest countries on Earth, yet Australians are becoming poorer in real terms. So how did we get here? Part of the answer is inflation. Australia now has the second highest across all advanced economies independent economists Judith Sloan, So the government needs to rain in spending to bring inflation down.
Speaker 9: That they really need to do is try and get on top of spending. You know, they're just spending like drunken salesce, which is probably an insult the drunken salesce because of course drunk and saless spend their own money.
Speaker 7: They spend it however they like good on you.
Speaker 9: Go, yes, But because that is adding to the inflationary pressures. I mean, basically, I don't think you have to have done economics to understand this. If you're allowed to demand to grow faster than supply, prices will rise. And a lot of that is to do with excessive government spending.
Speaker 2: But high inflation is only part of the story. The other part is tax. Australians pay some of the highest taxes in the developed world. Our top income tax rates sits at forty seven percent, including the Medicare levy, higher than countries like the United States, the UK and France, and after Labour's recent changes to capital gains tax, Australia now have one of the highest CGT rates in the world. According to the Australian Shareholders Association. The changes will make it harder for young people to build wealth through shares and ETFs compared to countries like Singapore, New Zealand and the US. So think about the message that this sends. We're taxing the very behavior we should be encouraging, and it's happening at a time when living standards are falling. Then there's productivity. For years, we've relied on population growth to make the economy look bigger, but a bigger economy doesn't mean Australians are better off. In fact, Deloitte says Australia is now facing its longest stretch of weak economic growth since the recession of the early nineteen nineties. Treasurer Jim Chalmers said the Deloitte report was a reminder of the lingering costs of the Iran War. He further said under Labor Australia has the lowest average unemployment of any government in half a century, smaller deficits and less debt than what the Coalition left us, booming business investment with tax cuts and higher wages that the right wing parties oppose. But Chalma's talking point has a problem that so called investment boom is heavily concentrated in data centers, and much of that equipment is imported. So in other words, it looks better in the press release than it actually feels in the economy.
Speaker 9: But then if you go and sort of dig down and have a look under the bonnet, you'll find that it's pretty much all this investment in data centers. Now they're controversial, right, So they're controversial for a number of reasons. All the comparatory is imported, right Okay, So okay, the workers might be local, but everything else is imported. But secondly, they're really really big users of energy, water, and they make a lot of noise. We want business in men in a whole lot of sect it's not just in data centers, and that is a concern at the moment.
Speaker 2: And that's why tonight's OECD report matters. It confirms what millions of Australians have been feeling for years. They're falling behind and no government should ever be comfortable with that. Well, that's said to canber Now for tonight's Political Headlines with Sky News political reporter Reuben Spargo.
Speaker 10: The Prime Minister is bringing his specific counterparts together in Brisbane to strengthen regional security. The leaders of Papa, New Guinea, Samoa and Tonga a meeting after Australia signed a landmark security pact with FIGI.
Speaker 11: What we want to do with Samoa and Tonga.
Speaker 12: Lets continue to have engagement about how we can improve the relations.
Speaker 10: The government is also turning to sport diplomacy. A quarter of a billion dollars will fund a new primary and high school rugby competitions across the Pacific.
Speaker 12: Will just empower parents, it will empower leaders of communities.
Speaker 10: The leaders will cup off the day at tonight's State of Origin Decider.
Speaker 2: All right, plenty of news to get through today, so let's make a start with our Wednesday panel. Senior fellow at the Menzies Research Institute, Nick Cata, an adolescent psychologist and Sky News contributor Clairo, Welcome to you both. Let's start with this Telstra outage this morning. Not many parts of Australia were left unaffected, and it's moments like this that really exposes our vulnerability and our dependency on telco's Nick, we saw the damage that was done when the Optus network went down. Lives were lost. What does the government need to do to ensure that it can stay ahead of outages like this.
Speaker 12: Well, first the government needs to ensure there's lots of competition in the mind because that is actually the best thing we have at the moment, thanks really going back to the Howard governments telco reforms. We have three independent networks, so that gives us a really strong resilient system with plenty of redundancy. Where the government needs to step in is in emergencies like this, when one network goes down for reasons which are far too complicated for me to understand. But at that point of course we do face problems, particularly with emergency calls, also with businesses. At that point of course, the government should really step in and make the companies enforce a roaming agreement so that Telstra's calls can be rooted through Vodaphone or optov OPTAs. That's very technically, it's very easy to do. But because companies don't like covering covering taking other phone companies' business if they can help it, but in an emergency situation, of course it's vital that they do. And that I understand is happened in Canada, it's happening in other parts of the world. I think the removes oft to do it here, but they clearly need to move on that bit very very quickly and make sure that that happens without any delay, because I really can't see any reason why that shouldn't be happening already.
Speaker 2: No, I completely agree, Claire. I want to take a look now at this report that I was just talking about in my editorial revealing that Australia has experienced one of the sharpest declines in living standards in the developed world, and this is since the pandemic. So this was from the OECD, and they have warned that real wages are set to fall even further this year and that's DUDO inflation eroding workers' incomes. But how can any hard working Australia see this and just think who can we look to for some help here? Because labor they seem to disblame everybody other than themselves.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and I expect that they will try and do that. Some of these pressures have been global inflation effect almost every developed country after COVID. But this report, I think quantify hasn't tells us that Australia has performed particularly poorly compared to our peers and Australians don't need a report to tell them how they've been feeling. I think it really comes down to that promise of the Australian dream, that social contract that we've had, which is that you work hard, you save up, you buy a home, and you hope will know that your children are going to have a better laugh than you are. That's what's being eroded away. And with that, you know, optimism and hope. I don't think they've all necessarily become unhappy because they've got less money in the moment. They've become disillusioned when their effort is no longer seems connected to a reward, and of course that's been compounded recently after this budget, and that's of course when voters will take risks on political outsiders when they feel that the traditional system is not delivering anymore. One thing that we've said Australia has been missing now for a very long time and it looks like it's nowhere near on the horizon is a talk about in a conversation about aspiration.
Speaker 14: I think all this can put up for tough.
Speaker 13: Economic periods if they think that things are going to get better. But I think Australians at the moment. What they're fearful of is that this is the new normal and potentially getting worse.
Speaker 2: Nick, I'm interested in your response to this report that Labor has amended its draft national platform to commit Anthony Albernezi to developing an anti racism strategy, but the party is also going to use its fiftieth national Conference to formalize their support for welcome to Country ceremonies and backing in the principles of the ULARU statement from the heart. What are your thoughts about that, because for me, it seems like the country doesn't want this sort of stuff, but Labor just continues pushing it, hoping that which our minds.
Speaker 12: Yeah, a pretty interesting piece of product differentiation I think they're going in for, which I think is what they're doing. They're saying, because we've got two parties on the center right, they'll take the left ground and they'll take it even more solidly, so push out further the left. Interesting policy on this particular question of welcome to country. You don't really need to do an opinion poll on this because we had a very good referendum just a couple of years ago, as you remember, a result sixty forty and I think that would pretty much be the result, if not more, on this welcome to country question. So Labour seems to me rather arrogantly, I think banking on the fact that forty percent of the vote is going to be enough for them or less than that, on the basis that the center right won't be able to get its act together this side of the next election. They may be right on that, but it's a pretty cynical ploy because we know where most of the country are on this. There's no argument about.
Speaker 2: That and Claire loved get your thoughts on this. So, despite denying its plans for a name change, the James Cook University's governing council has backed advice on how it should rebrannd. Now this is going to cost twelve million dollars to do this. Why a university is so intent on a raising Australia's history.
Speaker 13: Oh, look, I don't know. Maybe it's a growing belief that the way to deal with parts of history that one doesn't like is to remove it or at least edit it. Perhaps psychologically that's you know, appealing. You feel like maybe you've got an illusion that you've solved part of the problem. But that is a very frightening of course, or Welliam overtone to it. And the irony is that university is supposed to be places where complexity is explored, you know, not removed. I think it's utterly maddening and sad. I mean, James Cooke didn't established the colony of New South Wales. He was a brilliant explorer navigator. When I went to school, he was certainly revered and celebrated. And to your point, I mean, twelve million dollar if you really want to change some lives and have some social cohesion, I mean, imagine what that could fund rather than changing the name on the front gate, you know, scholarships and indigenous education programs and regional outreach. So you know, when we start looking at renaming the past instead of educating students for the future, I think we've really lost our way on what universities are actually meant to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nick, what do you make of the name change or the proposed name change and going down this path of spending excessive amounts of money to do that.
Speaker 12: I think they're crazy. James Cook University's got the best brand and one of the best brands in the country. James Cook was a man of the enlightenment. He was a first and foremost a scientist, an innovative navigator. You know, he achieved so much in that field. And you know, it's just the sort of person you'd want to name your university after, Isn't it why they get rid of it. I think they're getting rid of it because they've got some miss misshape and idea about his role in history, you know. And he was not the colonizer, by the way, as they like to call him. The colony happened some time afterwards. But yeah, I mean, he's a great man. He needs to be celebrated, not derided.
Speaker 2: And I really.
Speaker 12: Think that this is just shows how small minded and of low intelligence universities have become that they don't even recognize the great name that they have that their university is named afterwards after.
Speaker 2: I do want to have a look now at in battled Victorian MP more redeeming. She has come out on social media and apologized for this later scandal that has engulfed the liberals. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 15: I think it's time that I addressed the fact that there have been so many distractions, so many huge distractions that have taken away from the work that you, as my constituents and Victorians, really needed to be done. And I am genuinely, so so sorry that all of these things over the past three and a half years have happened.
Speaker 2: So Claire. She has apologized to her constituents, yet to apologize to Matthew Guy. But Moira wants four members of the party state executive ban from any discussions over her political future. What do you think is the best outcome here?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 13: Look, I don't think there's any other outcome other than Maura's got to go. But Maura's got to go quickly and quietly, and that doesn't seem to be happening with the court case that she's now launched against the Liberal Party, and the Liberal Party can't actually disendorse her. They've said that they'll wait pending that court case, but that never, you know, is a quick process, and with the election looming in November, I mean, I just see this. What is remarkable about this saga? I mean more a Deeming had already won she had one years ago after that defamation case, and many people, including people who didn't necessarily agree with all of her views, said that she had been treated unfairly. You know, she had sympathy I think from a lot of people. She had momentum, she had the opportunity, I think, to be a very significant voice within the Victorian Liberal Party. But somewhere along that line, that way will very quickly recently that that political capital has absolutely been squandered away now and I think that, Look, politicians make mistakes, and I think that the public can forgive mistakes, but the first step to that admitting you made a mistake. And she's doubled out and refusing to do that. So you know, I think when they struggle to do that, that's going to be a very hard path to come back from and very messy. Now that where it's all pending a court's decision.
Speaker 2: Well, Nick and Claire, I will leave it there. After the break, the already strained DRAN ceasefire could be officially over with fresh strikes. So could we see the straight completely shut down yet again? Welcome back. It is great to have your company coming up. Warnings from the RBA that AI data center investment could undermine Australian businesses and its workforce. But now the fragile ceasefire in the middle East is under fresh pressure tonight. The United States has launched fresh strikes against a run following attacks on ships in a straight of hom Moves, raising fears the conflict could once again escalate. And just moments ago, Donald Trump told reporters that he thinks the ceasefire is over and quote, I don't like them and they're evil people. Joining me now is Sky News defense analyst Peter Jennings. Peter, it's great to see you start now with the Middle East and off the back of the US launching strikes against Iran. And that does follow the attack on ships in the Straight of Horn Moves, and then Donald Trump now making the comment that looks like the ceasefire. P still everything's off the table. How significant is this escalation?
Speaker 14: Well, the escalation was significant. The Americans hit somewhere between eighty and ninety targets. That's a far bigger military operation than we've seen for quite a few months now. And all of those targets were in and around the northern end of the Strait of Hall Moves, after the Iranians had attacked three commercial ships. And I'm struggling to sort of interpret Trump's comments as to whether or not he now intends to go back to a much broader war. I think what's more likely, Jamie, is that the Americans are going to assert that the Iranians will not be allowed to run a protection racket, effectively charging shipping companies to let their vessels go through unmolested. And if that's the American intent, I think we probably will see more operations of the type that have happened over the last twenty four hours, and they'll be doing things like hitting the fast patrol boats which the Iranians use to go out and hit the ships with limpid mines. They'll be attacking Revolutionary Guard maritime capability at the north end of the Strait, and you know, expect more of that. I think that's what we'll probably have for the next week or so, until if and until the Iranians then decide that they're going to stop attempting to enforce a protection racket which is putting money into the hands of the Revolutionary Guards.
Speaker 2: And Peter, we do have that grab now where Donald Trump was speaking just moments ago in and kra let's take a listen to me.
Speaker 16: I think it's over. I don't want to deal with them in with this scum. You know, it's there's gum, there's sick people. They're led by sick people, and they're vicious, violent people, and if they had a nuclear weapon, they'd use it.
Speaker 2: As far as I'm concerned, it's over Gpeter. Those are some strong words, scum, sick people, and violent. Surely Iran's not going to be copying this and they'll be retaliating. But I would imagine they're quite Their arsenal is significantly depleted, but.
Speaker 14: They're reconstituting it very fast. Jamie. I've now seen reports which say that in fact, they've got about fifty percent of the missile capability they have before the start of the war in February. So they're rebuilding fast because that's their priority. That's what they're putting money into. They're being assisted by the Chinese in that development as well. I mean, I think Trump's judgment is right, but the problem he's got is that he can try and negotiate a piece or he's back into military conflict, and we know he doesn't want to do that. So what does he end up doing Right now? The signals are it's going to be a more limited military operation around the passage of those ships through the Strait of Worms. I don't think the President is going to want to go back into fuller scale military operations, but it's kind of in the hands of the Revolutionary Guard, and what they're showing is a high level of defiance. They're trying to make the case that they're stronger now than they were back in February. That's not necessarily so, but they're rebuilding fast and so the prospect for more conflicts is definitely there. And one can sense the frustration on Donald Trump's part. He's not been able to negotiate the outcome he wants, and so that pushes him back into the direction of more military force.
Speaker 2: And definitely something that I don't think he'll be wanting to do in the lead up to the midterm elections. But Peter, I saw some comments made today that I wanted to get your thoughts on, and this was the finish president. He said Ukraine has won the war against Russia, but he said it around more so they preserve their independence and sovereignty for more than four years. What do you make of those comments?
Speaker 14: Strictly speaking, I think we're still in a stalemate, but I guess a Russian the absence of a Russian victory is a kind of Ukrainian success. Certainly, so far this year, the Ukrainians have been beating the Russians comprehensively. They've been killing large numbers of Russians on the battlefield, about thirty five thousand a month, which is sort of First World War levels of military fatalities. And they've been pursuing an extended campaign of military strikes inside Russia, sometimes quite deep inside Russia, to attack their oil and energy infrastructure. And I think the issue is how long can the Russians actually go on doing this. On the other hand, Russia still occupies somewhere between twenty twenty five percent of Ukraine territory. That's where we are, Jomie. It's a hard fort stylemate where the Ukrainians I think starting to have the upper hand. But the war is far from over. And really the key factor here is apparently the determination on the part of Vladimir Putin to keep fighting, even though this is doing immense damage to the Russian economy and killing Russians on an industrial scale, which must be beginning to have some sort of domestic impact on Putin standing inside his own country.
Speaker 2: And there's an incredible vision where you see eighteen hour queues of cars trying to get petrol. Now, the Finish President made those comments as NATO allies were all meeting in Turkey, and it was just interesting because they're meeting to look at Ukraine's future, but also how they can reduce their reliance on the US. How can you see that happening, especially when you look at how much money the US contributes. They're the largest funder in the defense budget of NATO, yes.
Speaker 14: By a long way. And you know, fundamentally, the answer is the European countries cannot reduce that dependence on the United States, even with a difficult president. The United States is the essential strategic stabilizing factor in all parts of the world, certainly in Europe. And unless NATO countries want to, you know, double and even more than that increase their defense spending, which they don't, that relationship with the United States remains absolutely crucial. We are now starting to see some European countries spend more, invest more and rebuilding defense infrastructure, but they've got a long way to go. And really America is still i think the critical factor in European security, just as it is in Asia specific security in our part of the world.
Speaker 2: And just quickly off the back of that before I let you go, do you think because of how significant the US is to NATO's defense and security, they should have played a bigger role in supporting the US when it came to the conflict in Iran.
Speaker 14: It's an interesting question. America could have done a better job of bringing key NATO partners in from the start, which would have involved a bit of discussion about war aims that didn't happen. But fundamentally, it is in Europe's interests to see the straightup Wolmers open because they're the customers for a lot of the oil, and it's also in their interests that Irun doesn't acquire a nuclear weapons. So yes, they should have done a better job. But equally, the Americans should have done a better job negotiating with the Europeans before the war actually started.
Speaker 2: Peter, I always appreciate your insights. Thanks for your time tonight. Now to the push by a tech giant, Anthropic, which is making moves to buy up more of Australia's data center capacity against the backdrop of concerns today from the RBA that data center investment could undermine Australian businesses and its workforce. Here to discuss it further is chief scientists at the University of New South Wales' AI Institute, Professor Toby Walsh, Professor Welcome Andthropic is the AI company that's behind Claude and so for any of us that don't know who what that is, it's an AI platform that's sort of similar to chat GPT, which has exploded in popularity. Now it stands ready to swoop on any available data center space in Australia that it can pretty much get because they believe that we're a good fit for its expanding business model. But there appear to be two issues here the investment push into the Australian market, but then also ongoing concerns about unregulated harms. What are your big issues around what Anthropic are trying to do?
Speaker 17: We write there's a significant opportunity for Australia here. There's an insatiable appetite for compute. Anthropic have signed a deal to spend a billion dollars a month on the data center in the US, so they're looking elsewhere and Australia is a fantastic place to build building data centers. We've got the second biggest pipeline, and we've got plentiful renewables to run those data centers. We've got plentiful land, and we're a very stable economy, so there's a lot of attractions to build them there.
Speaker 4: But we and it's it's helping to keep our economy going.
Speaker 17: The last rb A ABS figures showed our quarterly GDP was being kept afloat by the spend on building data centers. In fact, we would have be gone into recession if they hadn't been spending so much building new data centers. So there's a great opportunity for us there. But equally, as the RBA is warning, we need to be concerned. But you know, maybe it's going to be driving inflation. All those people being employed to build those data centers. Maybe they're not building houses. We need to build lots more houses, and maybe there aren't enough trades to go around, and that's pushing up wages of traders and that's going to cause inflation and cause us to have to put inflation interest rates up again. So we need to walk a very narrow line here to make sure that we get the benefit without some of the some of the risks.
Speaker 2: One thing that I thought was interesting is Labor have dumped its AI advisory panel, which you were a part of. Do you think we're at risk now of repeating the mistakes of social media where we start to see young people having AI companions and AI therapists.
Speaker 17: Yes, sadly, I think that's something that we should be regulating. We decided after the event that young people should be kept off social media there was rather harmful. Well, we got to do the same there with artificial intelligence that a large number of teens are using AI companions and AI therapists and speaking to these chatbots like Claude, the Anthropic Make and probably I think we should probably decide they should be an age limit for these tools, just like the riginal social media.
Speaker 2: And you've seen some wild things overseas where people marry their chatbot and become very close friends with it. So there's that out of it as well. But in terms of our our VA's concerns when it comes to jobs, do you think we should be in a position where we reframe it and retrain and reskill our workforce in an AI environment instead of trying to push back and stop it coming into our officers.
Speaker 4: Well, AI is coming. I think that's very, very true.
Speaker 17: We can't put our heads in the sand and expect AI not to be transforming our workforce, but so we will be looking to reskill and retrain people. We need to support people through that. Good news and governance figures out this morning show that the impact of archip intelligence has been rather than modest so far, but there are growing signs. There are sides in those numbers that AI is starting to have some impact on the most exposed jobs. So we are going to have to deal with that, and it takes time for people to reskill. Young people today choosing careers, we need to help them make good choices.
Speaker 4: Think about what are the jobs of the future.
Speaker 2: Well, exactly on that point, looking at the job of the future, what are you saying to kids now at university who are studying degrees that are potentially going to be worthless in four or five years, how do we counter that?
Speaker 17: Well, I hope none of the degrees are going to be completely worth us. I hope there are many things you pick up on a degree that beyond just the subject of the degree itself. The communication skills, the critical thinking skills, those human facing skills.
Speaker 4: Emotional intelligent, social intelligence, grit.
Speaker 17: All of those things I think are going to be ever more important in an AI enabled world. Those are the things that are going to distinguish humans from the machines. Those are the things I think the employers are going to be looking for. Those are the things that will be valuable and get you a job in the future.
Speaker 2: Well, professor, it's a very interesting world that we're all going to have to get used to navigate, because it's certainly not going anywhere. Thank you for your time. After the break, we crossed to London for the latest on the dramatic decision by Reform leader Nigel Farage to quit his seat for a by election. Could this be the chess move that could set him up as the next British leader. Welcome back coming out Words of the Week with kel Richards. But now to that traumatic announcement overnight from Reform UK leader Nigel Farage, who resigned as a member of Parliament calling a by election amid concerns about party funding and his associations with a convicted criminal.
Speaker 1: Now I've decided that the people of Clapton should be the judges of my actions. This will be a people versus the establishment by election. It's a chance to stick two fingers up to the entire establishment, to frankly tell them where to go. And that is why I will be putting my name forward to stand in this by election. I will fight to win. I will fight to continue the political revolution that Reform has started.
Speaker 2: We're here to discuss this further. The editor of Spiked Online, Tom Slater, Tom, welcome well. Labor and the Tories have said they're not going to be standing in this by election, which is pretty much going to leave the Reform leader alone on a ballot against just some novelty candidates. What do you make about this? It seems like a little bit of a face or is this a stroke of brilliance?
Speaker 18: Well, I think the refusal of the other parties to stand just shows that deep down and they would have a cat telling chance of winning. I mean, Nigel Farage won in that seat in Clacton in Essex with a higher margin than any of his other Reform colleagues at the last election. And I think what they're responding to is the fact that this is a pretty risky but pretty audation's political gambit, and it's something which has allowed Nigel Farage to retake the initiative to fight a by election on his terms rather than have one voised upon him after this very kind of got up standards process which has been sparked into him and donations that were made to him before he was elected. And I think it's very effectively in that address that you've already shown a clip from from Reform HQ frame this as putting it back to the voters, saying that it doesn't fall to a scandal mongering media or to ethics committees or filled with opposition MPs to decide who represents voters. And I think that message is certainly going to resonate in Clacton, and I dare say amongst other sections of the country as well, who are as furious with the establishment as Nigel Parrock's clearly yes.
Speaker 2: And this is what's going to be interesting, isn't it, Tom, Because critics have been coming for Nigel for a long time. But are we looking at a tactical maneuver or it just continues to frame his fight as you just mentioned about the establishment, where it's the people versus the establishment, and this is going to be what potentially makes his rise grow even more as people move away from the bigger parties.
Speaker 18: I mean, time will tell, but I think with that very strong address that he gave yesterday, he reminded the establishment and the public of two things, one of which is that he is the key anti establishment candidate in this country. That he is someone who's been in politics for a very long time, very consistent, and there's a reason that so many people in the media and within the kind of establishment political circles are gunning for him. And the other thing that he reminded everyone of is that ultimately it comes down to the voses to decide. That's almost a kind of quaint notion for some people in politics these days. That really is the people who get to decide who represent them. But he's put that firmly back on the table. So who knows if this will this will actually pan out, whether or not the refusal of other parties sam will blunt the impact of this particular by election, But I think he's put down a marker with this and reminded people that he is the figure sets the political weather in this country. Everyone is sort of responding to what himself and the reform are doing, and that's certainly been the case of of course, of the past twelve.
Speaker 4: Hours or so.
Speaker 2: Before I move on to the other big story that happened overnight, I do just want to get your thoughts on Andy Burnham. You did just have a slight chuckle about, you know, when people actually vote someone in. And Andy Burnham is potentially going to be the next Prime minister not having been voted in. What are your thoughts on his potential leadership and whether or not he's going to move the UK further to the left and the response on the ground of what people think of him.
Speaker 18: I think there's sort of two plausible cases with Andy burn and one of which is that he turns out to be essentially just Keir Starmer and a pair of genes. This is someone who has committed himself to the twenty twenty four Manifesto, who signed himself up to the fiscal rules that were set by Keir Starmer's government, that is going to be quite terrified of kind of spooking the horses in the direction, or he reverts back to his kind of happy place, which is a more soft left dish kind of perspective, which, frankly, given all of that would mean for the economy, socially, immigration or whatever would prove to be even more disastrous than Kirstarmer. So the best case scenario is that it's more of the same. And given how terrible more of the same looks at the moment, I dare say that whatever glow there is around him at the moment will.
Speaker 4: Come very quickly.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 2: I do want to turn our attention now to that story around the Duke of Sussex, Prince Harry. He has lost his long running sixty five million dollar privacy invasion case against the London tabloids, the Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday. Just talk us through this here, Tom, But also what is there any sort of for that? Do you think here? For Harry?
Speaker 18: Oh, this is a total humiliation for him. In a very good day for the freedom of the press. This case that was brought like just by Prince Harry, but by kind of coterie of other celebrities and members of the great and good was totally thrown out. The judgement clear that in relation to the stories that you were taking issue with, it was entirely plausible that they'd been produced by legitimate sources. And I think it's reminded everyone what we knew already, which is that when it comes to Prince Harry and Megan Markll, they don't care about privacy. Their own privacy is they did, they wouldn't braide themselves in front of the Netflix cameras if they did. Prince Harry wouldn't have written such excruciating, stomach turning detail about his own genitals his autobiography. This is about controlling the press. This is about Prince Hary doing what many of us thought there is in the Royal Family seek to do over centuries, which is to tame the media for having the temerity to report on what they get up to, and to mock them, as has happened many times with Prince Harry. So I think this is this is a real blow to what has basically been a crusade against the free press by Prince Harry, and we can only hope that this draws are close to it.
Speaker 2: And before I let you go, what can you tell us about some reports that Meghan Mikkel has now vowed to never see the Royal family again.
Speaker 18: Well, I dare say that might be quite welcome news from much of the Royal family, who was still really from being accused of racism left right center by Meghan Markel. I mean, of course, there was a very sad family human story in the midst of all of this. I believe Prince Harry and Megan Mark's children haven't seen their grandfather since twenty twenty two. That is something that's always worth bearing your mind. But once again, you know, despite all of the media hype, despite the way in which has been interrupted in some courts, certainly in America, this is a mess, very much of the Sussex is making.
Speaker 4: Whatever else you.
Speaker 14: Might conclude about it.
Speaker 2: Well, Tom Slater, great to see you, Thanks for coming on. Well after the break, plenty of words to get through with Kel Richards. That's next, welcome back. Well let's get straight into it with wordsmith and broadcaster Kel Richards. Kel welcome. I'll tell you what. You've got some really interesting words on this list tonight, and I saw a lot of them, thought, oh, what really good ideas to talk about now. The first one spitting chips, which I think all of us have used at some point, and you actually threw it out to Credline viewers for help with this one to say, okay, we all hear it, we all know what it means. But where does it come from?
Speaker 11: Yep, and it's an Australian coinage was coined here in Perth eighteen ninety nine and first first have been the person newspaper called the Sunday Times. But nobody knows what sort of chips will be spat out. And I actually call some of the einguish s I know, some of the clever people who work on dictionaries. They didn't know the answer. So I asked the viewers and I got more than two hundred emails. All One bloke at a very creative idea. He said, it's from the footy. When you're at the footy and you're eating chips and the ref makes a stupid decision and you yell at at him. You're spedding chips. Now, that's a lovely idea. It doesn't have a lot of credence, but it's a nice idea.
Speaker 2: I like that one.
Speaker 11: Nearly everyone said has to do with wood. If you're cutting wood with a good sharps or what it spits out is fine sawdust. But if it's a bit blunt or some of the some of the teeth are a bit crooked, it rips into the wood and spits out chips, and the idea is that's probably the image behind someone spitting out angry words. Spitting out angry words is a bit like what the sword does when it hacks into a So viewers are the team of us collectively. I think have solved this one. Well done.
Speaker 2: Oh I like it now. This is another one. I think that we all often use quite a lot. Blood is thicker than water. But Don wrote in to say that blood is thicker than water does not mean family bonds at the closest bonds, as we always assume. So can you please set the record straight?
Speaker 11: Yes, non, you're wrong. It's very old. It goes back to the twelfth century. Was originally in German. It was in German for a long time before it was in English in the eleven hundreds, and then it turned up in English in fourteen twelve, somewhere like that and the tomb. There are two myths, not one myth, but two myths. One myth says blood is stronger than water, actually is referring to soldiers in battle. Nothing bonds brothers in battle together than like bathing in the blood of the enemy, which may well be true, but it's not what it's about. It's not what it ever said. It's the proverb never meant that, not in the original German, not in English. The other one is that this is a shortened version of a longer proverb that says the blood of the covenant is stronger than the water of the womb, which means though people who trust in the blood of Jesus are bonded closer than family members, which may be the case, but that's not what it said. If that were true, there would be written evidence for that. It's not, in fact, what all the myths are untrue. They're all urban myths. So non. Sorry, it was a clever idea, but you're on the wrong track. It really means what we thought. It means family bonds are the strongest bonds.
Speaker 2: Dog's Breakfast Karl wants to know the meaning and origin of a dog's breakfast, first.
Speaker 11: Record of the late eighteen hundreds, and it just comes from the idea of being missing and in fact it's another insult to our canine friends. It's pretending they're messing eaters, and so it's fairly straight in that sense. It's straightforward. What is interesting about it from a linguistic point of view is we like dogs. We all like dogs. Dogs are our best friends. But nearly every expression in English about dogs is negative. Dogs breakfast dog with its til between its legs, can't teach an old dog new tricks. Down with dogs, get up with fleas.
Speaker 14: Everything we say.
Speaker 11: We love dogs, but everything we say about dogs in English is negative. And when I discovered that that pattern, I thought, that's really interesting, that's worth drawing attention to.
Speaker 2: And then immigrant versus migrant, what's the difference between the two.
Speaker 11: Yes, Now, the bloke who asked me about this said he's been puzzled for you is very intelligent, very well informed man, but he just said, it's really puzzling. Why do we say immigrant migrant? The answer is they are exact synonyms. They mean the same thing. Both come from Latin. Migrant comes from an old Latin word meaning you've shifted your residence, so it means exactly what we think it means. And then sometime later the Latin prefix m was added. All that means is action has been taken. So although they look like their different words, they are identical words with exactly the same meaning. And the person who asked me, don't be bothered. About the muse either.
Speaker 2: Now, Cal we've got twenty seconds for you to explain the word nilist.
Speaker 11: Yes, this is a Credlin view of very clever Credlin viewers who said in the World Cup there should be an award for the nillist team, because we all know soccer is a low scoring game. There are a lot of nils scores, and some teams must score a lot of nils and they should get a special award as the nilis team. Nillis once was a word in Old English. It was the opposite of will if you will do something or your nilist do something, and it survives in the willy nilly expression will be nilli.
Speaker 2: Love it kel and thank you Robert. We'll all have to start using that. It is now time for the Bolt Report.