Speaker 1: Live on Sky News. This is Sharry.
Speaker 2: Good Evening.
Speaker 3: Well tonight to Albanizi loses his call at questions over his tax plans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they're not terribly clever.
Speaker 3: Question is he starting to crack under the pressure? Basil Zemplus and Matt Canavan will give their take in a moment Plus Israel further humiliates Hesbela and Iran with an attack on their walkie talkies. It comes as more details emerge about the extraordinary moss Out operation, including claims of a shelf company. Terror expert Greg Barton will be on Live and later Starter shows young OSSI's are shunning alcohol in favor of a healthier lifestyle. Veteran journalist Jennie O Dowd will be on the show to discuss but first tonight to Penny Wong's disgraceful vote at the United Nations. Once again, the Albanese government was out of step with the United States by not voting against a pro Hamas resolution.
Speaker 2: Now, this was the first motion put.
Speaker 3: Forward by the Palestinian authority since the Yun rewarded it for the October seven massacre by giving it a de facto seat at the table back in May a move that in itself is a joke. They're giving the Palestinians where in Gaza the governing body is a terror regime, a seat at the table at the Yun, the UN created in the wake of the Holocaust and.
Speaker 2: World War Two. It's a joke.
Speaker 3: A motion for peace should have been if there was going to be one, should have been submitted by a third party, another country.
Speaker 2: It could have been balanced.
Speaker 3: It could have demanded the release of the hostages and condemned the slaughter of October seven. But the Yun has lost all reason. Instead, the first motion, put forward by the Palestinians and sponsored by dozens of other, mostly Muslim nations, called for Israel to get out of Gaza and the West Bank within a year, no conditions attached, no concern about innocent hostages, including baby Kafir Bibas and his brother Ariel. It actually calls for Israel to pay reparations even to terrorists, and once an international Commission of Inquiry set up to effectively dismantle Israel as a Jewish national home. This resolution at the UN turns October seven into the Palestinian independence Day.
Speaker 2: It rewards terror.
Speaker 3: Both the former Australian Ambassador to Israel, Dave Shama, and Colin Rubinstein spoke this week on the show about just how extreme the resolution is.
Speaker 4: That this is a one sided, inflammatory resolution that will do nothing to advance the cause of piece extreme.
Speaker 5: It's basically calling not only for the isolation of Israel, but the delegitimization of Israel and ultimately is dismantling.
Speaker 1: So it's an omnibus resolution.
Speaker 3: And even the Biden administration spoke publicly about how disgraceful this UN resolution is.
Speaker 6: One year since twelve hundred citizens from Israel and many other countries were massacred and hundreds more taken into the tunnels beneath Gaza were many still weight in captivity today, enough is enough. We urge all Council members with influence over Hamas to join others and pressing its leaders to stop stalling.
Speaker 3: And this is now creating somewhat of a diplomatic rift between the United States and Australia. The Biden administration had strongly lobbied Pennywong to vote against the motion. She ignored them, and in a way, she might have even supported the motion had it not been for the US's efforts. In a way, there's nothing more depressing than looking at the UN vote result seeing how much of the world is currently against Israel. Only fourteen countries against the motion in support of Israel, while there were one hundred and twenty four voting in support of the Palestinian motion. Voting against it was the United States, Argentina and Australia's closest specific partners, PNG and Fiji. Forty three countries abstained, including Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, the UK, Austria, India, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine and others.
Speaker 2: And by the.
Speaker 3: Way, many of those world leaders paid solidarity visits to Israel right after the October seven attacks, So how can they have forgotten that one hundred people still bill are held hostage. Then among the one hundred and twenty four countries that supported the Palestinian motion New Zealand, France, Indonesia, Japan, Spain, South.
Speaker 2: Africa and many more. Now, as you.
Speaker 3: Know, Australia has led the world in giving almost three thousand visas to Gazans, mostly without proper security checks. But what's fascinating is that most of the countries voting yes in that Palestinian motion supporting the Palestinian motion. Well, they're taking in very few, if any Garzans, So this is a classic case of virtue signaling. Now, Pennywog today in a media interview and in a press conference, said, you would actually have liked to have supported this motion.
Speaker 7: We would have preferred to have been in a position where we could support a resolution that reflected the International Court of Justice's advice the opinion, and we worked very hard in New York with other countries to try and get changes to the resolution that would enable us to support it.
Speaker 3: Now she's showing anti Israel bias there, but we also saw anti Israel bias from the press gallery. Listen now to this question that one SBS journalist asked Pennywong just on the A lot of people.
Speaker 1: Around Australia feel.
Speaker 8: Like the government isn't doing enough to pressure Israel in this conflicte.
Speaker 1: You had an opportunity where the.
Speaker 8: Majority of countries throughout the world vote big favor and only a.
Speaker 9: Few days or voted against.
Speaker 8: Does this send the wrong message to people in Australia you know we're not doing that.
Speaker 3: Well, that's some activism at the SBS. A young journalist in Canberra, assuming that a lot of people around Australia feel the same way. She does feel that the government isn't pressuring Israel enough, and Penny Wong took the opportunity to highlight all the things Australia was doing for her Musk controlled gaza.
Speaker 7: You've seen us vote in a vote that was highly criticized by some for greater recognition of the Palestinians delegation at the United Nation. You've seen US put sanctions on settlers. We don't export weapons to Israel, and we will continue to look at ways we can add our voice to a pathway out of this conflict because we also want peace in the Middle East and we regret that we were not in a position to support this resolution alongside the United Kingdom.
Speaker 3: And then the statement that the Australian un representative James Larsen gave also very clearly outlined all the anti Israel positions that the Albanese government has taken.
Speaker 2: Have a look.
Speaker 4: We doubled our funding to UNRA because it does vital work. We have not supplied weapons to Israel in at least the last five years. We have moved our position on recognition. We now see recognition as an integral part of a peace process and as a way to contribute meaningfully towards the realization of a two state solution. It's a matter of when not if.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't have seen comments like that coming from the UN representative under the former Coalition government or labor governments in the past. There's no question now James Larsen, who you just saw speaking there, he's a career diplomat and he does have to deliver the lines drafted by Canberra. Yet this is still embarrassing for him given he used to be highly respected as the former ambassador in Israel. Now, while this vote that we've seen at the UN, it is depressing, but it's not surprising ever since Israel's creation.
Speaker 2: Whenever the Arab Group.
Speaker 3: Has tabled a resolution at the UN, it does automatically achieve majority support. But what matters is the like minded nations vote, and it's concerning that only the US voted against it. But like I said, this is now a forum for left wing virtue signalers and show ponies, and ultimately the United Nations, while a disgrace, is irrelevant, and Israel showed that yet again last night as the UN moved emotion against it. We presume Israel carried out yet another stealth operation against Hesbelah, this time blowing up their walkie talkies. It's brilliant and genius. But the United Nations Secretary General Antonio Gouterres said he was deeply alarmed by this by terrorists being killed. His comments render him an object of ridicule and utterly inconsequential.
Speaker 2: The lesson is.
Speaker 3: That the sophisticated assault on Hesbela this week, attacks beyond the capability or imagination of any other intelligence agency around the world, unprecedented in their brilliance, shows that Israel will defend its citizens irrespective of the corrupt United Nations. The Jewish commitment to survival espouse by the Israelis is no holds barret. It's uncompromising and it should give us encouragement when the world turns against reason and rationality like it did overnight. All right, as I said, a terror expert Greg Barton will join me a bit later to talk about how those Hesbela attacks unfolded. But now let's bring a national Senator Matt Canavan and Perth mayor basil zemplists. Welcome it to you, both gentlemen, Matt, just continuing, just want to get your reaction to that topic there, Matt Canavan. If it weren't for the pressure by the United States, Penny Wog might very well have voted in favor of this pro humus motion.
Speaker 10: Well, that may very well have been the case. So you would hope not because as you outlined and as others have, I mean, this motion was not a motion for peace. I mean, the Australian government, to all other governments, should be trying to work towards a peaceful solution that reduces a number of people dying at the moment. It's terrible, it's horrific. And this motion, among other things, called for the return of all Palestinians displaced over the many years of conflict in that area. Anybody that knows anything about the negotiations between Israel and Palestine knows that that's just not going to happen, and voting for motion of that kind just puts unnecessary hurdles in the road of trying to find a peaceful solution long term. So look, I don't think just bite all the government's protestations now, I actually don't think they're acting in good faith to try and find peaceful resolutions. They act with their own domestic political interests, electoral interests in mind.
Speaker 1: That's what's happening here.
Speaker 10: They are doing what they're doing because they just worried about losing votes in electrics in Australia. And I think that's whether that's true or not, I think it's reprehensible to be acting in that way when people are dying on the other side of the world. Shot, we should be caring about them, not your own little jobs here in Australia.
Speaker 3: Or conversely, we should be worried about social cohesion in Australia, protecting all Australian citizens, rather than Penny Wog thinking she can solve the conflict in the Middle East. It's just so arrogant of her to think she can lecture Israel like this basil. You know, as Matt Canavan just said, there are domestic considerations here for Penny wang and the Albanezi government.
Speaker 2: And the flip side is, you.
Speaker 3: Know, we think it's absurd that Australia are abstained, but the pro Palestinian movement will be furious at the government for not supporting this motion.
Speaker 11: And caful what you wish for. Sometimes isn't it. And that's exactly right, So they might have backed themselves into a corner. I think when we consider throughout our history the number of times that we have or have not stood with the United States, there are not many times that come to mind when we have not stood in line and side by side the United States. And yet we have not voted with the Biden administration on this issue. And at the heart of it, one hundred people coming up for the one year anniversary of being held hostage, and I think sometimes simplifying it down to that nearly a year, one hundred Israelis still held hostage. When will they be released? Release them? And this takes a whole different.
Speaker 3: Direction here here well, said Basil Zamplus now looking at the Prime Minister, the pressure seems to be getting to him. He lashed out at ABC radio presenter Precisier card Vellis when he was asked, really some pretty straightforward questions about hacks.
Speaker 2: Have a listen.
Speaker 12: Are you saying negative gearing and capital gains tax concessions are absolutely off the table for you?
Speaker 8: Well, they're tax policies, but are those tax policies?
Speaker 7: Are those tax policies completely off the table?
Speaker 1: For you.
Speaker 13: Well, Patricia, I don't answer the sort of those sort of questions in the way.
Speaker 7: That goes Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 11: Are you going to say no to those or not?
Speaker 13: They're things that journalists The next question is when will the election be?
Speaker 11: That's not my next question.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, they're not terribly clever questions.
Speaker 3: And here was Peter Dutten speaking about this interaction.
Speaker 5: The fact that he can't even answer basic questions, as we saw in the Patricia Carvellers story, this interview this morning demonstrates that the Prime Minister is just not.
Speaker 2: Up to it.
Speaker 3: Matt, do you think his reaction to Patricia is a reflection of the bad polls, the sticky inflation, the roadblocks he's seen this week and getting his legislation through the Senate.
Speaker 2: Do you think all of this is rattling him.
Speaker 1: It would seem like it.
Speaker 10: I think actually there might be something deeper here, though, Shari. I think the Prime Minister now the Labor Party, has one eye on minority government and the reason he can't answer simple questions like that is he's keeping his options open to negotiate with radical Green teal crossbenches to change his policy settings. After the election after you might vote for him and do something completely different. I think Anthony Alberinezi desperately wants to avoid a there will be no carbon tax out of the governor I lead type moment because if he was plain and direct as you would hope your political need is to be right now, that will limit his options after an election. And I think everyone voting at the next veedual election has to realize that you just can't trust the Labor Party and what they say, because after the election they're probably going to have to go and negotiate with Adam Bant with whoever have a teal is the loudest that week and deliver something completely different you thought you were getting if you vote from this next time.
Speaker 3: Basil is never a good look when a politician snaps at a journalist over their questions, especially a safe ABC journalist. And by the way, the PM only does interviews with journalists that he's friends with or friendly with, or that he likes and socializes with. For the most part, he will not come on this show. You haven't seen him come on this show I don't think since about twenty eighty.
Speaker 1: So you're not friends with him. You're not friends I.
Speaker 2: Used to be I used to eat.
Speaker 1: But the point is.
Speaker 3: He won't sit down for tough questions. He doesn't want to have to handle very tough questions if he knows an interview is going to be antagonistic.
Speaker 2: He didn't expect this was going to be on the ABC.
Speaker 3: So, Basil, do you think this indicates that he is feeling the heat?
Speaker 11: There's absolutely no doubt. Let me lead with this disclaimer. In a recent form of life on Triple and Breakfast, we are a safe haven in Perth for the former leader of the opposition leader and then the Prime Minister. He enjoyed coming on and he did get an easy run, but we weren't trying to score major political points from an interview point of view. We were trying to have a little bit of fun. You know, where the PM's at a labor PM, and this labor PM.
Speaker 1: If he wanders into.
Speaker 11: An ABC studio and has a meltdown moment like that, that's not good for him, that's not good for the Labor Party and that is a very firm indication of where things are at Normally, that would be big tip safe haven. Everything's going to be all right here if he's emerging from an interview in those surrounds like that, that tells you everything you need to know.
Speaker 1: Also, you know a.
Speaker 3: Basil The PM loves FM radio interviews. He probably does them more than any other type.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it be great to get.
Speaker 11: An easy run. Yes, that's right, and they all do.
Speaker 1: I mean they all do.
Speaker 11: And I've been on AM and FM and our job as FM radio presenters breakfast. It was too entertained. We weren't trying to nail them on the gotcha moment that changed an election.
Speaker 1: We were trying to.
Speaker 11: Find out what they had for dinner, what was in the fridge, where their first date was, where did they have their first kiss, all of that sort of stuff, what's their favorite tailor? You got it would have started Matt Canavan, that was all. I think they can show more of their personality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Matt Canavan that is clearly Alban Ezey has chosen strategy. He feels comfortable in an environment in FM radio where he can have a bit of fun and because he's often not across the policy details, so he can't really handle detailed interviews all the time.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it makes you less smatch fit. I mean I go on the ABC for my sins, and yep, you get a bit of a grilling sometimes, but you've got to be prepared for that, and you've got to be able to defend your own viewpoints and policies. And I think sometimes that you do you do. When you see AB or green politicians getting very affronted by someone disagreeing with them or challenging them, it is because they're so often little challenge. They live in kind of bubbles, inner city places of our country and don't really get out enough. I think it'd be great for the promise to get out and talk to real people. So yep, being better if he came on your show and subject to the whole country to a grilling, it might probably happen. But go and talk to real people about their real circumstances. I don't think he's doing enough of that right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good advice. Now.
Speaker 3: In the US, Kamala Harris has suffered a bit of a blow to her election campaign after one of America's most powerful unions ruled out endorsing her. And this is the first time in thirty years that the International Brotherhood of Teamsters has failed to endorse a democratic nominee. So the last time was back in nineteen sixty six. Basil, what do you think this says about Kamala Harris's campaign strategy? You know, how is she going wrong? That she can't get the union on board?
Speaker 11: Not a good sign, is it. I mean, if she hasn't got the unions on board, if they can't lock in on her the way that you would expect, and certainly the way history has suggested they would, that is a danger sign. And I guess at the heart of it, it's this lack of certainty around what Kamala Harris will stand for and how she will execute if indeed she becomes the president of the United States. So there's great uncertainty. We know, she hasn't answered a whole lot of questions, she hasn't done many interviews where she's really been pushed. But this would be a major warning sign, a major warning sign, and it does have This could run away, this could form, could produce a cascading effect. So she'll be trying to bring this in. But if you can't get them to commit, well you are in a.
Speaker 1: Spot of bother here.
Speaker 3: Matt Cain about how do you reckon the US election? Is looking at the moment, who would you put your odds on.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I put them on Trump. I think that pole you've mentioned demonstrates the major points the prism through which I'm looking at this election, and that is it's not really a national election.
Speaker 2: It's an election that.
Speaker 10: Cuts across mostly Midwest states in Pennsylvania, in Michigan, in Wisconsin, Georgia, Arizona, Nevada too.
Speaker 1: But all of those states are.
Speaker 10: Really a good fit for a very liberal, left wing senator from San Francisco. And I think the most interesting thing about that teams to poll was that when they held some town hall straw polls earlier in the year, Biden was actually backed over Trump by the teams, by those teams to members, by the union members. And that's completely reversed since they've changed to Kamla. And I just don't think the change is actually smart for the Democratic Party. She's not a good fit for the states that matter at a presidential election.
Speaker 3: So your tip is Donald Trump, but it is looking very close. Bazil, just quickly before we go, what do you reckon this far out?
Speaker 11: Well, look, if Kamala had to come on triple m perth, we would have given.
Speaker 1: Her a tough time.
Speaker 11: Just to y think she's looking for the triple m Perth interview. At the moment, she's not going to get it, but maybe that's what she's looking for.
Speaker 3: She's just waiting for them, all right, Matt Caravan, Basil Sampliss.
Speaker 2: Great to see you both now.
Speaker 3: Just as we were awed by the targeted pager attack, overnight, a second wave of explosions targeted Hesbela members terrorists. This time thousands of walkie talkies carried by the terror group blew up. It's been reported that it killed at least twenty people, although there are senior figures who are speculating that the true figure is much higher and Hesbela isn't being being transparent about this. Israeli Defense Minister Jav Gallant announced a new phase of the war. He says he wants Israelis displaced from the north to be able to return home.
Speaker 14: I appreciate that we are at the beginning of a new era in this war and we need to adapt ourselves. This is true for everyone, certainly for those who are in the air or control what is in the air, because the position here is stronger.
Speaker 3: So that will be the strategy now moving forward with resources shifting to the north of Israel. There are also unconfirmed, unconfirmed reports that the original pager attack was brought forward over concerns that HESBLA had uncovered the operation or had become suspicious about their devices. As I say, those are unconfirmed reports. And now journalists have started to trace the pathway of the pages from Taiwan to Leberton in an effort to work out when and where they were intercepted, presumably by Mossat. There's mystery now around the manufacturer of the pages, BAC Consulting, located in Budapest. The business address listed seems to be Affront. It's only used reportedly as a postal address. Now for more on this incredible operation, I'm joined by Deacon University Global Islami Politics Chair, Professor Greg Barton. Welcome to the program now, Professor. Five months ago HASBILA leader Nazraala first told members to stop using their mobile phones. So do you think this is when the planning of this attack, presumably by Musad, first began.
Speaker 15: Yeah, sure, it certainly goes back early in the year. That most significant speech from Hassan Nasola was in February. He said if you're worried about Israeli spies. The Israeli spies in your pocket. It's your mobile phone. Get rid of them. We can't use mobile phones that have got into our network. They can go locate you, they can record your conversations. So that was February, and apparently these pages came in a batch five months ago, so they woult have put out in order and trying to organize it so they could make that switch. And at the same time, apparently they also got a batch of walkie talkies. We don't know where they came from. And as you were saying, this front company in Budapest doesn't have the capacity to manufacturer. It had paid for a license with gold Apollo, the Taiwanese company, to manufacture the pages, but doesn't have manufacturing facilities as far as we can determine, I mean to be frank, it rather looks as if Mossad made these pages on the gold Apollo design so they wouldn't be detected, planted small amounts ten twenty grams of military grade explosives and a triggering circuit in a way that wasn't easily detected, and as you said, apparently there was it seems possible that there was some suspicion about these devices and this operation was brought forward. It was thought the reason for the operation was as a prelude to a military campaign, so a psychological blow, but also a way of unhinging a terrorist network that is a very highly networked organization that depends on people turning up and playing close at a moment's notice. When they get a message, we'll take away that messaging. And that's very hard to his pilot of work in the way that it's used to.
Speaker 3: What does it say when we hear that the Iranian envoy had a Hesbla pager? What does that say about the Iranian envoys links to Hesbela.
Speaker 15: Well, I think it comes as no surprise to anyone watching this. His Bula is a proxy of Iran. Iran supplies much of its technology and weaponry. Of course, it's easier for Iran to get material to his Bola in Lebanon than it is to get stuff into harmas the other proxy in the Gaza strip, but it was doing that as well, so really comes as no surprise. But it is a very public information that this is, as much as anything, a proxy war involving Iran and his Bulla as a proxy force. That's not to say that Liberanese politics don't count for anything and that Hisbola doesn't make its own choices, but you know, Iran Tehran is certainly standing there in the background and will play a key role in what happens next.
Speaker 3: I read a report today that at one funeral in Beirut, attendees were asked to turn off their phones and actually take out the batteries. So apart from the terrorist that it has already injured or killed, it shows that this attack definitely has an ongoing psychological element to it. You know, they're all paranoid now, they don't feel safe.
Speaker 15: Yeah, this was a syops operation as much as anything. It was a major intelligence espionage breakthrough his Buller's compromise. So that's embarrassing but also deeply destabilizing for them. And then the fact that they don't know which devices have been compromised means they can't rely on any of their communication devices, any of the electronics, and of course, you know, in the modern age, digital technologies everywhere, so we're getting unconfirmed reports that apart from the walkie talkies, there are other electronic devices blowing up today in Lebanon, So that is very destabilizing. And the people of Lebanon, you know, many who don't like his bull I don't support his bulla of living through hell on Earth when it comes to a failure economy, failing politics, and this just adds to their sense of hopelessness, so that it plays against his below's power. It may have the perverse effect of actually having a rally around the flag effect and giving some support for an unpopped group is below, but let's hope that's not the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, just before you go, how humiliating is this for Hasbilah.
Speaker 15: It's deeply humiliating. So there is that loss of face, the sense that they've got to do something to stand up. But it's also more than just an embarrassment. They've got people in their ranks who are compromised, and there's going to be an awful witch hunt, and of course those witch hunts often go badly wrong, so it's likely to have an impact way beyond. You know, there may be a handful of middle ranking senior people compromised, there's likely to be dozens purged, There's likely of a lot of mistrust. It does make them for the time being at least less able to operate. Not doesn't incapacitate them, but it distabilizes them, and that's why this was seen as perhaps a prelionto military action.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right, Professor Greg Barton, thank you really appreciate your insights on what has been a completely extraordinary intelligence operation this week.
Speaker 2: It's flawed all of us.
Speaker 3: Now after the break, all eyes on the Higme Minister. After the first US rate cut in four years, plus immigration and ideology causing our housing woes. We unpack Australia's housing crisis as the ABS announces our population has surpassed twenty seven million due to the sloan Will join me after the break? Welcome back. Well, the US Central Bank has cut interest rates for the first time in four years. It's reduced the cash rate by half a percentage point. The question now is will our own Reserve Bank follow suit? Well, here was the Treasurer Jim Charmers this morning.
Speaker 16: Global economy is a pretty uncertain place. That's one of the reasons why we're seeing these rate cuts in places like the US. When it comes to the Australian situation, we've got inflation coming off pretty substantially. The Reserve Bank will weigh that up.
Speaker 3: In other words, it doesn't look like we're going to have a rate cut in Australia until well into next year. Meanwhile, an increase in overseas migration has caused Australia's population to exceed twenty seven million for the first time. This, of course, isn't helping the housing crisis. Here was Opposition leader Peter Dutton speaking about this.
Speaker 5: It's just not heading down, Like why does the government say this. They keep projecting that the numbers will come off. They don't. They keep increasing every quarter and there are nine hundred and twenty four thousand people who have come in since this government was elected. They promised that there would be housing for people who are coming in. You can't massively increase the migration program and they're not increase housing and this is why Australians can't afford to buy a home.
Speaker 3: All right, let's bring in now economist and columnist at The Australian Jude At Sloan Judith. Great to see you again. Let's start with those comments that Peter Dutton just made. So we've seen the population hit twenty seven million people in Australia figures show nearly a million people have come in since the Albanezer government took office. The housing crisis is critical. So what do you see as as the bigger picture here?
Speaker 8: Well, I think the bigger picture here is the failure of the government to do what it said it would do, which was to try and wind back the migrant intake. So, for example, according to Treasury, we were going to have three hundred and seventy five net migrants over last financial year. Now it's very clear we've got three quarters of the figures in the locker and we're almost up to that three ninety five, so we are going to probably go closer to another half a million. So basically we are allowing the population to grow too rapidly. But within that that is almost entirely due to immigration, right, So it's over eighty percent of the increase in the population, which as you say, is now over twenty seven million, is because of him. So you know, they say they want to restrict the numbers, they're putting caps on, changing the rules, but you just can't see it in the figures.
Speaker 3: And there is a problem the housing crisis to a certain extent. I mean you write in your column in The Australian that really housing construction is responsibility ultimately of the private sector. There's also a role for state and local governments approving das. But yet the Albanezy government has claimed ownership of this issue. It's now so many schemes promising to build hundreds of thousands of homes.
Speaker 2: Not one house has been built.
Speaker 3: So this is a political fight that the Prime Minister chose, but he hasn't delivered on it.
Speaker 8: Well, they said the target, So the target is one point two billion new homes in a five year period. Now setting a target is actually not a policy, it's just setting a target, right, and I think everyone in the know says, well, that target won't be met. But the thing I object to mostly is this, which is they say, oh, this is essentially a supply problem, but it is actually both a supply and a demand problem. And they have allowed the population to grow too rapidly and the people, I mean, it's not their fault, but people coming in need somewhere to live. And there is no way the private sector, even under the most flexible and ideal arrangements, could have built a sufficient number of new homes to accommodate those numbers. So it is supply and demand and you know, it's a train wreck shorry to tell you the truth. And I think, certainly in my state of Victoria, I think it is a real political vulnerability for the state government and probably in New South Wales as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and vulnerability for the Prime minister as well. Let's turn to the rate cut in the United Absolutely. Yeah, let's turn to the rate cut in the United States. We knew this was coming. But Judith, is this rate cut a reflection of the fact that the US raised rates more aggressively than Australia did and faster, or is it that they're tackling inflation better than where.
Speaker 8: Well, I think both ab and easy and charmers are wrong on this. You know, they are trying to say this is because of uncertain global conditions and weakness in the US economy. The US economy is actually pretty strong, the unemployment.
Speaker 2: Rate is still pretty low.
Speaker 8: There is really no real risk of it heading into recession. But the secret source over there is the fact that they've had strong productivity growth and with their very tight monetary policy, they've been able to get the inflation rate down to about two and a half percent, so that is within their target band. Now, the contrast with Australia is that inflation is still running at like three point eight to four percent. Now we need to get it firmly within the two to three percent band in order for the Reserve Bank to be convinced that it will reduce the cash rates and then the mortgage rates. So, you know, I do think there was a lot of double talk going on today about this. I think the US did exhibit better conduct of monetary policy, but you know, there were some other important factors. And it's not because the US economy is a weak It's certainly not weak relative to US.
Speaker 9: Don't forget Shari.
Speaker 8: In the recent National accounts, our economy was only growing byzero point two percent, which is really bumping along.
Speaker 2: Them basically on life support. Basically, yeah, exactly on life support.
Speaker 8: Right capita terms of course, it's it's yeah.
Speaker 3: We're in a per capita recession. This is why households are feeling it. Judih Sloane really appreciate your time, Thank you. After the break, could Australia's boozy culture becoming to an end? New Dark shows the younger generation don't have the taste for alcohol that the boomers do. We'll discuss that next. Plus Dave Sharma takes on the A and U after its weak response, returning a pro hermusk student. That's all coming up, welcome back.
Speaker 15: Well.
Speaker 3: According to data from the National Drug and Alcohol Research Center, more and more Australians under the age of thirty are saying no to alcohol and this is a huge change in the Australian drinking culture. Senior columnist Jennie O Dowd wrote a fascinating article looking at the difference in generational attitudes towards booze and drinking, and she wrote how society not only normalizes excessive drinking, but also makes it difficult for anyone trying to pull back or abstain. From a Sunday Telegraph editor and columnist for The Nightly, Jenio Dowd joins me, now, Jenny, great to see you again.
Speaker 2: So what does the data tell us.
Speaker 3: About this generational shift in alcohol consumption.
Speaker 9: Well, the data is really fascinating, Shari.
Speaker 12: It shows that the drinking levels in Australia are at their lowest since the nineteen sixties and this level has been driven by people under thirty.
Speaker 9: So the levels for Middle Asian elderly people.
Speaker 12: Have actually stayed the same or they're increasing, but younger people are bringing down our national levels. And a decade ago, the average age for someone to have their first drink was fourteen, and now it's sixteen or seventeen, so that is also increasing.
Speaker 2: And what are the reasons behind this? Why the younger generation choosing.
Speaker 12: Not to drink, Well, I think they're still drinking, Shari. The younger generation are very savvy, Like we're in a world of information. You can get everything at your fingertips, so they know what they should be doing to eat properly, they know what they should be doing to exercise properly. They know how much they should be doing to drink, to drink reasonably. They know that if they go on constant binges like we did thirty or not you and me thirty years ago, what it does to their body. They are just a smarter generation.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I'd be inclined to speculate that this is because drug and pill use has increased, and we've seen that debate in Victoria, New South Wales about you know, not saying no to drugs but having pill testing at the festivals.
Speaker 2: I strongly disagree with that. By the way, you know, I grew up.
Speaker 3: In the generation where Anna Wood died from a yeah, and so the message I think was so much cleaner and easier to just say no to drugs.
Speaker 2: They're dangerous.
Speaker 3: And I worry about the message now where the premiere is a kind of considering blurring it by saying it might be okay because you can test the pills to see if they're not harmful. What do you think about about this being as part of the reason why alcohol use is coming down?
Speaker 12: Well, Sharon, I'm not going to sit here and say young people aren't taking drugs, because clearly they are, and there is a certain percentage you are and always will. But interestingly, that data that you quoted before from the Australian National Drug Center also found in the last decade that young people taking marijuana and pills has dropped, and that is still dropping. I think young people are just getting more and more aware than my generation.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because the drinking culture was very much a part of not just shot social events, but the workplace culture as well, and now there's all these new HR rules that kind of in the end stop drinking because bad behavior happens when there's alcohol around.
Speaker 9: When you have too much to drink.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, back in the day when I first started work, it was quite normal to go out for a too or through our boozy lunch with your colleagues, and you'd leave your jacket behind your chair, so people still thought that in the office you'd come back. It was very normal and expected to go and have drinks for the boss after work in the pub, and you're also expected to take clients out for long and boozy dinners, and often these dinners ended up in the local karaoke bar. You'd stagger into work after a few hours sleep, absolutely hungover, but you wore it as a badger honor.
Speaker 9: Like people were quite proud of.
Speaker 12: You, like like well done, like you know you're a good drinker, and it was very hard to say no or to cut down.
Speaker 2: I have to say.
Speaker 3: The first time I had a bit too much to drink was that your farewell from the Sunday Telegraph, the day when you left as an editor. But no, I have this vivid memory as well, on Friday afternoons when you were trying to get the paper together, of you walking around the newsroom and checking that the chief of staff and the news editor didn't have alcohol in their coffee cups, and often they did, and you would be furious about it.
Speaker 9: I remember, it's so clearly. Yeah, it was a big habit.
Speaker 12: It was a big habit to go out back in those days, to go out and have a long lunch. And yeah, and absolutely I'll try to change that, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Jenny, Dad, thanks so much for your time.
Speaker 9: Pleasure.
Speaker 3: Now after the break and A and you student expelled for being a harmask sympathizer is now running for student president. This is a disgrace. And I'll tell you how Dave Sharma is taking on A and U next. Plus, the pressure mounts are now been easy to preference the Greens. Last Darren Barnette and Gary Hargrave would join me next. All right, let's bring in now our next panel, Sky News contributor Gary Hargrave and Julia Gillard's former press secretary Darren Barnette.
Speaker 2: Welcome both of you. Now let's talk about the A and U situation.
Speaker 3: Now we know the university expelled former student Beatrice Tucker for her comments on the ABC supporting her mus but then bizarrely, her expulsion was overturned by the University, and not only is she back at A and U, but she's now running to be president of the student association under a globalized the Resistance for Palestine ticket. Now this capitulation by A ANDU has sparkedge and I can reveal that Liberal Senator Dave Sharma has written to the Vice chancellor demanding answers, and I understand that in his letter Sharma says that Tucker believes the expulsion was overturned thanks to a petition signing campaign and political pressure. Sharma's now demanding that the UNI explain how the appeals process was applied and he's looking for assurances that they are taking anti Semitism seriously on campus.
Speaker 2: Gary.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is quite a serious issue where someone who has declared on the radio support for terror organization can become a student leader at a prestigious institution, and.
Speaker 13: It reflects on everyone who goes to that prestigious institution, in fact reflects on Australia. And the point here is while may well have been overturned by whatever appeal process, and Dave Sharma's right to be chasing this down Shari, the simple reality is reputations are risk here. And I mean reputations for the university, reputations for Australia to have somebody who is so overtly backing a terrorist organization at a time of this enormous international conflict. Look, you know, I hope the student body realized that if they choose her, they're going to damage them. And it's going to mean that any future employer is going to look and say, ah, so you were at the A and U when this woman got elected president of the student body.
Speaker 1: It's not going to help any of them.
Speaker 13: It's not going to help any of them from a career reputation point of view. And Hamas is an evil organization. Hamas is not supported by most of the Muslim world either. Shari, this is not something that we should be associated with. Got it comes to some common sense. I hope the A and YOU can act.
Speaker 1: But we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's a problem.
Speaker 3: Now let's move to this new survey by KPMG. They're revealing that more and more bosses are expecting white collar workers to return to the office full time over the next three years.
Speaker 2: Darren, do you think the.
Speaker 3: Days of flexible working arrangements that we saw really kick off during the pandemic are now coming to an end that buses are starting to demand people return to the office.
Speaker 17: I think that when there's a team approach to problem solving in the workplace, having everybody at work shoulders to the wheel. They can find each other quickly rather than relying on when an email bon't be returned. I think that it does make sense that people are in the same workplace. But equally, if you do similar work to what I do, which is a consultancy, I don't need an office and I can keep my costs lower by working from home and being in the cities I need to be on an ongoing basis, but my work is a little bit unique. But for those workplaces that rely on people working together all of the time, we're going to see more and more people being a blig to come back to work. There will be incentives to do so. But I think that we're going to see a return to normal in the next couple of years.
Speaker 3: I think, particularly in the public service Gary, there's a lot of resistance to coming back to the office.
Speaker 13: Yeah, what a pain actually have to get dressed go to work, you know, I mean, but Darren is right, I mean the interaction thing, the social skills, the things that people lose by them not actually being in the same workplace. And you know, for a couple of years there during COVID, I never went to the Sky office in Sydney, and I'm in Brisbane and I actually went down and met people I've been working with for years, Shari, So I got it. I understood it, and the idea of actually being in a workplace. Like Darren, I do a lot of my work over the mobile phone and through zoom zoom meetings, so the mass the meetings. But I love being back in workplaces. I love interacting with you know, good people in workplaces, and it's really important that people don't lose those skills.
Speaker 1: Really important.
Speaker 3: I think there's advantages and disadvantages to both. And it can be very very lonely working from home. But on the other hand, if you're a mum, the flexible working arrangements mean that you can get.
Speaker 2: Back to work sooner.
Speaker 3: Now Victorian taxpayers are coughing up more than two hundred million dollars to get out of hosting the twenty twenty six comm Games, and Scotland is laughing all the way to the bag. Scoring not only a free games but all of the economic advantages that come with it.
Speaker 2: Darren God this is one of the biggest.
Speaker 3: Stuff ups by the Daniel Andrews fom of government, isn't it.
Speaker 17: I've got to say these are stuff up. There's no two ways about that. That.
Speaker 1: Look.
Speaker 17: I suspect that the contracts that they signed, I don't think Victoria would have had the option of doing a watered down games in the way that Gladsgow is likely to do. I think it would have been an all in and a very very expensive all in. But equally, if you sign the dotted line, you have to follow through on what you've signed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: Look, they're going to have to work quickly though, Gary to get ready for just less than two years.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but it's going to be only thirteen events. Apparently I don't know where the lawn bowls is in it, so maybe the Northfolk Island team won't been.
Speaker 1: Coming over there.
Speaker 13: But you know, people in Brisbane are actually saying the twenty thirty two Olympics is going to cost too much, so we should cancel it.
Speaker 1: No way, you don't want this reputation.
Speaker 13: You want to be the country that delivers on sporting and I'm so shattered. I mean, being thirty eight percent Scottish. I'm delighted for the Glaswegians, but I gotta say I am shattered that Melbourne mucked it up like this so badly.
Speaker 1: Daniel Andrews, hang your head in Shane.
Speaker 2: It is embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Look as long as there's no break dancing at the Common Games and I think Australia will be fine.
Speaker 1: Now, can I just.
Speaker 17: Say, very quickly I I covered the lawn bowls for AAP the two thousand and six Melbourne Commonwealth Games and it was wonderful. I'm sure I've never had a bit of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you.
Speaker 3: Go, ribthing, I go very quickly before we go. Speculation is ramping up, of course, over what the Labor government is going to do, whether it preferences the Greens at the next election or not.
Speaker 2: Gary.
Speaker 3: How can the Prime Minister stand up every day and attack the Greens but still preference the party.
Speaker 13: Well he was into our ear back in the mid nineties when Darren was still in the media gallery. But I was in the Parliament and let me tell you, he was into our ear, telling us he wanted the Greens to go last to save his bacon in his electorates. So I think we just need the nineteen ninety eight version of albow back, because the Greens are really bad news. They are destroying Australia. They are destroying Australia before our very eyes, and Labour should not be cowtelling to them, they should not be letting them into the game. So preference them last. The Liberals do the same, and we might clean Australia up a bit.
Speaker 2: Ten seconds, Darren will.
Speaker 17: Whether or not whether or not they preferenced them last. A really cautionary tale at the weekend was local government elections in Waverley, where the Liberals now have complete control of that council and a big part of the reason is because Labor preferenced the Greens.
Speaker 3: All right, we're out of time. Thank you both, gentlemen. I'll see you on Monday at eight o'clock. Here's poor Marie.